Author Topic: Battletech Character Creator (BTCC) bthub.net  (Read 66170 times)

Cannon_Fodder

• Warrant Officer
  • Dream of freedom from the 2d6 bell curve.
Re: Battletech Character Creator (BTCC) bthub.net
« Reply #30 on: 12 September 2011, 21:04:30 »
I was just getting "are you sure you want to do this" messages.

Avatar by ShadowRaven  Sig banner by HikageMaru

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #31 on: 12 September 2011, 21:25:54 »
I think I'm getting the hang of it.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Deathknight69

• Captain
  • Supernaturalizing the universe !!
« Reply #32 on: 13 September 2011, 00:26:29 »
Hey Top, Please let me know when you do, so you can teach me  :D. Seriously.
"Remember kids, Ammo explosion's are as much fun as friendly fire and incoming fire has the right-of-way." - ShadowSeraph
Avatar by Wombat, Thanks again to the blue fuzzy marsupial of wanton destruction.
"SRM Carrier. It's actual combat value is irrelevant; the face of a player when one of their 'mechs takes a point-blank shot from one is priceless!  ^-^" - Fireangel
"What's a little canon-deviation amongst friends and enemies" - Self
Quote from: DarkSpade on August 10, 2022, 15:23:40
If you think about it, the perfect merc lives long enough to complete the objective, but not long enough to get paid.
Well, there's an Obi-Wan level point of view comment for you ...  xp
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 15:35:06 by Wolf72 »

Cannon_Fodder

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #33 on: 13 September 2011, 04:40:23 »
I need to make a new character for my AToW group. Was going to make it with the BTCC then add the extra 500 points my group uses. After about 20min I grabbed a legal pad and a couple pencils.

The program needs to be a lot more user friendly. I was going to make a Yakov Smirnoff "in Soviet Russian the program uses you" joke but feel it might be in bad taste  ;D

Archameades

• Private
« Reply #34 on: 13 September 2011, 10:55:09 »
I was having issues as there aren't many instructions, but once you figure out how the program works it's a lot more linear with out the errors.  Though there are still a few, I find mostly when I go back a step.  Perhaps a walk through from the designer would be helpful, as the boxes seem to have to be clicked in a specific order at Stage 3.

wackrabbit

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • Who wants some, Doc?
« Reply #35 on: 13 September 2011, 11:06:48 »
I was unable to install the program. I'll wait until the next few revisions go, and I think it's a great idea!
If you always do what you've always done, you will always get what you've always got

Cannon_Fodder

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #36 on: 13 September 2011, 18:25:34 »
I was unable to install the program. I'll wait until the next few revisions go, and I think it's a great idea!

Make sure you are running the install as Administrator. Right click the install .exe and pick "Run Administrator"

peterbehere

• Private
New Version as of 9/14 v.0.7.32
« Reply #37 on: 15 September 2011, 21:52:34 »
 :o Wow! Just one week later and a new version is already out!  Check out BTCC v0.7.32.

Game Master Tables printable
Starting XP can be set
You can use manual editing XP in all tables now (no more holding down arrow buttons)
Other small fixes

bthub.net
Guess that Quote:

“What the—? ‘Load Ammo Error?’ What does that even mean?
This is a Wolfhound!”

Mendou

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #38 on: 16 September 2011, 07:27:05 »
One observation: I was trying to build a Solaris VII MechWarrior but after taking Solaris Internship in Stage 3 the Solaris VII Games path did not appear in Stage 4. Has this path not been added yet, or is there a prerequisite which I failed to notice?

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #39 on: 16 September 2011, 12:05:12 »
Some additional feedback:

Once I get to optimization/point buy I still cannot just type XP values into the attribute boxes.

Still no way for me to implement my own affiliations, modules, and fields.

M-Rex

• Lieutenant
  • In Ferro, Veritas.
« Reply #40 on: 16 September 2011, 13:12:15 »
Tagged to follow.

Great program.

"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered his last round...

"Carrying stuff may be a sign of improper utilization of your minions." - 'Freelance Writer' Paul

peterbehere

• Private
« Reply #41 on: 16 September 2011, 15:37:04 »
Still no way for me to implement my own affiliations, modules, and fields.

Affiliations can be added by editing the affilitation.dat file in the resources file using notepad.  Just add your's to the list and save.

Creating custom modules and fields are a novel concept.  It is not applicable in the rules for AToW, but maybe we can implement this in the near future.
Guess that Quote:

This is a Wolfhound!”

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #42 on: 16 September 2011, 17:18:53 »
While I can add the text for them there seems to be no ability to add the sub affiliations or the XP distributions for module build.

It shouldn't be too hard as long as the XP adds up for modules.  Fields could be a little trickier since point buy gives a different rebate than module build.  To clarify it is the same 20% but module only counts the 30 you get from Stage 3 while point buy has no such limitation.

YarickZan

« Reply #43 on: 24 September 2011, 01:57:41 »
Definitely has a lot of potential and should be very useful when I've put more time into it. Definitely beats the hell out of using an excel spread sheet.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #44 on: 24 September 2011, 05:01:48 »
Definitely has a lot of potential and should be very useful when I've put more time into it. Definitely beats the hell out of using an excel spread sheet.
For creating individual characters, sure.  But when generating stats for an entire unit, I find a spreadsheet much easier (copy/paste FTW).

Warpimp

• Warrant Officer
    • "Down, Out, and Dispossessed in the Third Succession War" my BattleTech Fan Fiction
« Reply #45 on: 24 September 2011, 10:34:20 »
having a problem, when I select the Solaris IIV Module it sends my DEX to the negatives!
"Down, Out, and Dispossessed in the Third Succession War" my BattleTech Fan Fiction
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,38140.0.html

"Against the Clans" Against the Bot ruleset for Clan campaigns project thread
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,39685.0.html

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #46 on: 24 September 2011, 11:15:33 »
Also noticed that when you get to the balancing stage, you can only add or subtract ten points at a time, which can be a pain in the neck when you have a talent skill with  an extra five points in it.

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

peterbehere

• Private
« Reply #47 on: 25 September 2011, 18:01:35 »
Also noticed that when you get to the balancing stage, you can only add or subtract ten points at a time, which can be a pain in the neck when you have a talent skill with  an extra five points in it.

Craig

Try double clicking on the name or the skill to add 1 point at a time
Guess that Quote:

This is a Wolfhound!”

lu-tze the sweeper

• Recruit
« Reply #48 on: 25 September 2011, 21:18:54 »
building a character from the Marian Hegemony, and I can only choose slave for my stage one?

Needs an option to go around things like that.

Rationalinsanity

• Recruit
« Reply #49 on: 26 September 2011, 00:19:56 »
I believe you need to select the Citizenship trait for that. Assuming that's possible at stage one using this program... haven't tried it yet.

Werewolf

• Sergeant
  • CWN ANNWN
    • Thomas S. Wolf - Portfolio
« Reply #50 on: 02 October 2011, 10:39:46 »
I believe you need to select the Citizenship trait for that. Assuming that's possible at stage one using this program... haven't tried it yet.

It seems not to... at least I couldn't find a way to enter the trait... which currently makes it impossible to create anything else than slaves in the MH.
Cpt. Samoth Ze'ev
Unit: CŴN ANNWN, Spectre Company, Command Lance
'Mech: PKP-!A Peacekeeper

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #51 on: 10 October 2011, 04:11:50 »
Issues I have been running into:
1) When I go to add points into skills with subskills, the program automatically creates a new skill block.
Meaning, if I go to put points into Gunnery/'Mech, it creates a SECOND skill entry for Gunnery/'Mech.

2) You cannot select supskills after life-modules for Art and Interest during the post life module stage.

3) When taking Officer Candidate School and moving on to Tour of Duty, the Field Skills selection does
not allow the Basic Training Field skills to be selected among my military field skills boosts.

4) Major Periphery Nation: Magistracy of Canopus: it does not put the points into the art skills.

5) If I take a second Stage 4 Life Module, there seem to be practically random heavy deductions to my
attributes. Example: When I was making an NPC who had Tour of Duty followed up by Guerrilla Insurgent,
the character got hit for -250 to Dex and -135 to Edge.

6) There is no way to, if you realize you made a mistake on a stage, go back and change it.
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Padrach

• Private
  • Chaptor, the Gentleman Raptor
« Reply #52 on: 10 October 2011, 19:27:48 »
Hawt Diggity, this looks useful!! 8)

I'll check back in and play with it when I get around to trying to GM AToW next.
"Yea verily, though I charge through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am driving a house-sized mass of "****** you." - Alacorn crew motto.

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #53 on: 13 October 2011, 18:57:01 »
I noticed there seems to be a bug in the wizard where the levels of training do not properly enable for any stage 3 other than technical college

additionally ~90% of stage 4 does not appear to be active in the wizard as well

ironfis1

« Reply #54 on: 30 November 2011, 11:31:42 »
Any interest in putting the source out in a git project and letting some other people pitch in?

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #55 on: 30 November 2011, 21:44:05 »
I noticed there seems to be a bug in the wizard where the levels of training do not properly enable for any stage 3 other than technical college

additionally ~90% of stage 4 does not appear to be active in the wizard as well

Do you have the most recent version? You have to spend the flexible and more first, then click the little arrow. It works fine for me
on 0.8.7

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Wombat

• Captain
« Reply #56 on: 05 December 2011, 13:45:26 »
I can't install it either...I have a Mac.  :-[
"Remember gweilo, you suck when you are nervous." - James Hong

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #57 on: 05 December 2011, 21:03:44 »
I can't install it either...I have a Mac.  :-[

There's your problem! To fix that, I recommend getting a Windows Based Machine(or using a Windows Emulator on your
iPuter)

Calan

• Corporal
« Reply #58 on: 06 December 2011, 06:20:23 »
There's your problem! To fix that, I recommend getting a Windows Based Machine(or using a Windows Emulator on your
iPuter)

Heh... *I* wouldn't say that's the problem! But of course I'm a Mac user. :)

The program's developed in Qt, which is cross-platform(http://qt.nokia.com/products). So it should be possible to provide a Mac binary. Alternatively, the dev could open source the project and release the code so we can download and compile for our preferred platform. This would also allow people to contribute to the project.

ironfis1

« Reply #59 on: 06 December 2011, 15:49:42 »
Would love to see this in a git repository so we can open source it.  Also, you are missing Born Merc Brat as a Stage 1 choice.  It pairs very nicely with Merc Brat as a level 2.

Register