Author Topic: ’Mech of the Week: CL-P3/CLS-*S Colossus  (Read 4300 times)

Kotetsu

• Captain
’Mech of the Week: CL-P3/CLS-*S Colossus
« on: 07 October 2011, 15:38:02 »
’Mech of the Week: CL-P3/CLS-*S Colossus

OmniTech’s 95-ton Colossus has been called the result of the unholy congress of a King Crab and Marauder II. Not to be confused with the later Colossal series of ’Mechs, the Colossus is a dangerous combatant in all its forms. Though a product of the Solaris Box Set, my first encounter with this design was strangely during a campaign as Nova Cats. Some opponent had one and made a nuisance of himself, before it was captured and added to our forces.

I almost felt sorry for the poor saps who got caught between that beast and our Berserker.

The heaviest design from the original box set, the CL-P3 Colossus is built around an endo-steel skeleton, and a massive Class-20 autocannon, which is fed by a two-ton ammunition bay. While rather limited, for quick duels it could be adequate. Each arm mounts a large and medium pulse laser, adding to the devastation that can be unleashed up close. Thirteen double heat sinks provide some heat dissipation, but the inclusion of six prototype (at the time) coolant pods ease the burden further. CASE was used on one side torso for the Class-20 ammuntion, and protects half the coolant pods as well.

To survive in close quarters, the design is armored to within five points of maximum. Save for the head, all front locations can take two Gauss rifle hits, and the center torso can take two Class-20 shots. The rear torsos can all take a Clan large laser hit, and the center torso rear is only one point off being able to sustain a Class-20 blast without breaching. The use of a fusion engine adds to the survivability, and with the three jump jets, allows for the same movement profile as the later Sagittaire (though that is unlikely to be a fight the Colossus pilot would enjoy).

While this is a formidable machine, according to Technical Readout: 3055 Upgrade, after two of the three prototypes failed spectacularly in the arenas, the design was shelved. (Though based on the notes I have, the third, nicknamed “Bossman” delivered a knee to the crotch of the Top Twenty list, staying there for some time.) The design saw the light of day once more when Bethel Labs introduced upgrade kits that allowed Inner Sphere pulse lasers to reach standard laser ranges. The Colossus became one of the flagships for the (then) new x-pulse lasers.

The resulting CLS-4S model retains the engine, heat sinks and armor layout of the original. One of the jump jets was relocated to a more standard position, to allow for the upgrading of the autocannon to an LB-X model, with double the ammunition. Each pulse laser was upgraded to an x-pulse version. The coolant pods were removed, to allow for the installation of small shields on each arm.

While the article on the Sasquatch gave a good overview of how shields work, a quick refresher is in order. Small shields inflict no movement point penalties, can absorb three points of damage from each incoming attack deflected, and can absorb eleven such attacks. Note that each cluster of an attack counts as a separate hit. There are three modes for shields. Inactive protects only the arm on which the shield is mounted and inflicts a +1 to-hit penalty on all weapons in that arm. Active protects the arm, leg, center torso front, head, and the side torso nearest the arm in question (front and rear), but prohibits weapon attacks from those protected areas. And finally, passive which protects the arm and side torso nearest that arm, with a +2 penalty for the protected weaponry. Passive also allows for a shield bash. A small shield gets a -2 modifier on that attack, which would do 3 points on the full table. This also counts as a “hit” to the shield for number of absorbtions.

As intimidating as that model is, Omnitech decided to design a more frightening variant. The CLS-5S removes the weaponry and shields, and starts with the installation of four of the controversial coolant pods. Each arm mounts an extended-range medium laser, and a standard particle cannon with a capacitor. And the big gun role on this machine is filled by a Gauss Rifle with three tons of ammunition. In those arenas with more open spaces than usual, this machine will be a very frightening foe. And based on some of the more “mainstream” designs that have appeared in the post-Jihad era, the CLS-5S seems to fit in quite well.

Using one of these machines differs only slightly between the first two variants. Both are monsters up-close, so using them as such is key. If you are uncomfortable with marching straight up the middle, use every piece of cover you can. Liberal use of the jump jets is also worth considering. Remember that with the CL-P3, if you are starting to redline, use one of the coolant pods, as that increases your heat dissipation by your number of heat sinks. With the CLS-4S use the shields to allow you to get in closer and to protect your important bits. I would probably use the one shield in active mode to protect the ammunition bins, with the other in either passive or inactive as my whim suited. As soon as the gun suffered a crit, I would put both in active, walk backwards, dump ammo, and starting on the following turn, march forward and blow the crap out of the bastard who broke my gun.

The CLS-5S is slightly different. Use it from range to wear your foes down, and when you get in close, let them have it. Having access to three potential headcappers makes you almost as dangerous as a Thunder Hawk. Perhaps more so, since you can jump. Still, that fact also means you will become one of the bigger targets on the field. Use every piece of cover and movement you can.

To fight one of these monsters, buckle up. As with other articles, Gauss rifles are a quick fix for almost everything. The original variant has rather limited range, so if you can draw it out into a longer-range battle, so much the better. If not, using machines like the Sagittaire or that double 20-carrying Nightstar would give the Colossus pilot fits. The CLS-4S is also a brawler, though it has more range. Those shields are going to be a pain, but things like LB-X cannons and SRMs will help deal with those. Remember, once the shields have taken their allotted hits, all they do is hinder his arm weapons. And as for the last variant, hit it with everything you got until it stops twitching. And then shoot it a couple more times just to be sure.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Re: ’Mech of the Week: CL-P3/CLS-*S Colossus
« Reply #1 on: 11 October 2011, 00:44:49 »
The one time I saw a Colossus in a fight, it went down rather hard.

Of course, that might have been due to the Kingfisher X I was running against it getting a floating crit against its LB-20X in the first round.

But really, of the Solaris mechs the Colossus is one of my favorites- big, tough, and brutal.  I'd like to try one on a regular battlefield some time.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #2 on: 11 October 2011, 11:26:22 »
...Ironically, I just found what I suspect is the original source of the art for the Colossus - the Japanese release of Battletech from FASA.

I've never had any luck with it, though, I've only tried the original from the Solaris 7 box set.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #3 on: 11 October 2011, 12:02:40 »
Odd looking little monster, but devastatingly effective if you use it right. I haven't fought the 5S, but I've given the 4S on a couple of occasions, and it never gets to be a fun experience. It's just got too much close-range 'oomph' to let it get close enough to do the job, but too much armor to have any real hope of dropping it before that happens unless you get in a lucky shot or just have a whole mess of units firing at it- how often does that second one happen in a Solaris duel? Uh oh.

X-Pulse lasers are a pain to fight. Combined with that infernal autocannon, your Mech gets shredded in short order, armor ripped away in sheets to reveal juicy targets for the cluster shots. The shields only make it even more irritating, though if I were to re-design I'd go without them. Not my cup of tea.

5S... again, never fought one, but... that's ugliness. I don't appreciate what that thing can do to me at long-to-medium ranges. Fire, jet behind cover to recharge the guns and cool off, do it again. Pretty interesting concept, particularly if it has help to cover it during it's 'off' turns. A Victor would make for a perfect bodyguard for it, with massive short-range punch covered by the Colossus' weapons, jumping to match, and good short-range battery to keep enemies away.

The Sasquatch is laughable to the point of being just flat stupid. This... this is actually pretty intriguing and scary, something many Solaris designs cannot claim.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #4 on: 06 April 2018, 09:38:38 »
Could the Radical Heat sink system be installed in place of the coolant pods in one of these once the RHS is introduced?
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 07 April 2018, 19:24:00 »
Could the Radical Heat sink system be installed in place of the coolant pods in one of these once the RHS is introduced?
If we're talking about the P3 or 5S, sure. Fits neatly in the latter, the former has leftover mass since you can't have both RHS and Coolant Pods at once.

But, there is an issue. The Colossus is long extinct by the time Radical Heat Sink is developed (per MUL, so that's canon more or less), let alone available in any numbers. EDIT Correction, the Colossus 4S is still available by the Dark Age. But it is the model that does not have any Coolant Pods so...

(I'd also question why bother but then again, i regard the Solaris 'Mechs waste in themselves, and criminal misuse of good names.)
« Last Edit: 07 April 2018, 19:26:17 by Empyrus »

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #6 on: 09 April 2018, 08:51:17 »
If we're talking about the P3 or 5S, sure. Fits neatly in the latter, the former has leftover mass since you can't have both RHS and Coolant Pods at once.

But, there is an issue. The Colossus is long extinct by the time Radical Heat Sink is developed (per MUL, so that's canon more or less), let alone available in any numbers. EDIT Correction, the Colossus 4S is still available by the Dark Age. But it is the model that does not have any Coolant Pods so...

(I'd also question why bother but then again, i regard the Solaris 'Mechs waste in themselves, and criminal misuse of good names.)

Why bother? Maybe replacing the P3's coolant pods with an RHS would make it actually viable.

Another way of saying that is "just because I can".  ;)
« Last Edit: 10 April 2018, 07:51:39 by mbear »
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)