Author Topic: BattleTech FanFiction Tribble Emporium  (Read 378010 times)

Arvanna

• Warrant Officer
  • Bayonets foreward Boys...CHARGE!!!!!!
Re: BattleTech FanFiction Tribble Emporium
« Reply #270 on: 29 June 2014, 20:38:20 »
Problem is your assuming that knowing the Clans are out there and thus a potential threat won't effect how things go back in the IS.

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #271 on: 29 June 2014, 23:47:59 »
Problem is your assuming that knowing the Clans are out there and thus a potential threat won't effect how things go back in the IS.
  And you’re assuming that the Successor Lords will demonstrate a gift for sound, long-term, ‘big picture’ thinking and looking past their grudges to the real threats — a kind of thinking that has been conspicuous by its rarity since the fall of the Star League.  ::)  Even if they know the Clans are coming, I can easily see one or more of the Houses hoping to get in a ‘short, victorious war’ ahead of the projected arrival-date: “Don’t worry, boys: this time, we’ll roll right over those [slur for target faction] with minimal losses.  It’ll all be over in a few months — we’ll be completely ready to smack down these ‘Clans’ when they show up in the aftermath!”
  Five years later....

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #272 on: 30 June 2014, 02:02:23 »
Actually no he's not.  Diablo is the one saying "Well if the Clans know that the IS knows they're coming then they're going to be much stronger but the IS won't have changed."

That's unrealistic.  Now, if we assume that the Houses beat each other up and destroy infrastructure despite knowing that Kerensky's army is getting ready to take them all out, that still leaves Comstar.

So, Clans invade with great force, smashing aside the unprepared House forces....

And the ComGuard counterattacks selected Clan forces with over two dozen Warships and 30-40 Divisions, trusting in the rebuilt SDS to protect Terra.  (Yes, Clans have more than two dozen WS.  However, they'd be spread across their invasion front.  All the Comstar WS would be in one spot).

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #273 on: 01 July 2014, 19:11:18 »
  And you’re assuming that the Successor Lords will demonstrate a gift for sound, long-term, ‘big picture’ thinking and looking past their grudges to the real threats — a kind of thinking that has been conspicuous by its rarity since the fall of the Star League.  ::)  Even if they know the Clans are coming, I can easily see one or more of the Houses hoping to get in a ‘short, victorious war’ ahead of the projected arrival-date: “Don’t worry, boys: this time, we’ll roll right over those [slur for target faction] with minimal losses.  It’ll all be over in a few months — we’ll be completely ready to smack down these ‘Clans’ when they show up in the aftermath!”
  Five years later....

After all, the only way to stop the Clan menace is to rebuild the Star League under [insert faction here]. :)

Actually no he's not.  Diablo is the one saying "Well if the Clans know that the IS knows they're coming then they're going to be much stronger but the IS won't have changed."

That's unrealistic.  Now, if we assume that the Houses beat each other up and destroy infrastructure despite knowing that Kerensky's army is getting ready to take them all out, that still leaves Comstar.

So, Clans invade with great force, smashing aside the unprepared House forces....

And the ComGuard counterattacks selected Clan forces with over two dozen Warships and 30-40 Divisions, trusting in the rebuilt SDS to protect Terra.  (Yes, Clans have more than two dozen WS.  However, they'd be spread across their invasion front.  All the Comstar WS would be in one spot).

That buys the IS a short reprieve until the Clans bring their fleet to bear and crush the green ComStar fleet with many more ships and more experienced crews.  The end result is unchanged because the Clans just have too much power for the IS to stop.

View my design musings or request your own custom ride here.

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #274 on: 01 July 2014, 19:52:08 »
That buys the IS a short reprieve until the Clans bring their fleet to bear and crush the green ComStar fleet with many more ships and more experienced crews.  The end result is unchanged because the Clans just have too much power for the IS to stop.

Assuming of course that Comstar mothballed its production facilities and stopped building Warships.  Which they wouldn't do if they knew the Clans still had all those ships.

Besides, I'm not letting my Warships stand around and provide you with a target.  The only place I'd actually have them stay for longer than the time it takes to recharge is Terra, with rebuilt SDS.

Vehrec

• Lieutenant
  • Mr. Flibble is Very Cross
« Reply #275 on: 02 July 2014, 09:25:01 »
Tribble 123

"Primus, I'm not saying that the situation in the Combine isn't to our advantage.  But I must emphasize that our economic planners did not forsee this and-yes Acolyte?"

The young woman gulped and handed over the folder to the two men.  "Message from the chief Adept on Luthien, for the Primus, Precentor Delta.  It's urgent."  She bowed and stepped back out of the office, closing the door behind her as Raymond Karpov took the folder from his underling.

"I don't know why you're complaining.  Operation Holy Shroud is finally working as intended and we can step in to fulfill our purpos.  The Houses are destroying themselves, and this depression and inflation in the Combine is just the first sign of that.  Soon we will-"  Primus Karpov broke off as he opened the folder and began to read the dispatch.  Color drained from his face as he flipped through the document.  "It seems that the price of food on Luthien has triggered riots, and portions of the local milita are siding with the rioters.  One of the Kurita's generals has even gone over, and is calling for the Coordinator to step down.   Inflation rates are still soaring out of control, pollution tainting of foodsupplies is worse than anticipated..."  Raymond put the folder down on his desk and rubbed his face.  "Call Precentor ROM in here.  This is progressing faster than I had dreamed of."  He did not dare to voice his suspicion that it was progressing faster than ROM could manage.

----

What if Com Star succeeded in toppling a Successor State-and then discovered there was very little they could actually do to stop the collapse into anarchy and local power blocks?  Worse, what happens when the other Successor States fail to follow in the coming months, and instead the collapse of the combine's over-stressed economy remains localized?  What happens when the dreams of Toyama fail to materialize in a timely manner?  Interstellar trade and unified defense might be breaking down, but every local warlord is now able to set their own economic policy in the wake of the fall of the Combine, set their own recruitment policy and just generally present a hundred little empires in the face of the other successor states?  Will the FWL and CC reach out to snare a piece of the prize, just as the LC and FS will?  And will the Combine, battered and bruised, rise again, perhaps under the leadership of a populist general who chose the right time to switch sides?

This was mostly inspired by the constant theme that the Combine's ecconomy is the weakest and the least developed and blah blah blah, you get the picture.  So I thought to myself-well what if that wasn't just talk, what if it really did have a catastrophic collapse?
*Insert support for fashionable faction of the week here*

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #276 on: 02 July 2014, 22:05:28 »
Hard to see the Combine collapsing even with its underdeveloped and overcentralized economy unless the Kurita family is killed off completely.

I always thought that Liao was the weakest economically followed by Kurita then Davion then Marik then Steiner. 

Vehrec

• Lieutenant
« Reply #277 on: 02 July 2014, 22:49:35 »
I'm basing this off my memory of who had the weakest ecconomy-and really, this is a perfect storm of Holy Shroud, economic downturn, hyperinflation and famine on Luthien that is killing the Combine.

Though I suppose that you could pick any successor state as a candidate for this story-the only real point is that the collapse should be too quick for Comstar to orient and react in a timely manner or manipulate events to suit their plans.  Or for the other successor states to manage more than a 'buh, what' as one of their neighbors basically turns itself inside out.

SulliMike23

• Lieutenant
  • The Brotherhood will expand in the Inner Sphere!
« Reply #278 on: 17 July 2014, 22:05:09 »
I'm running low on ideas here. I think we all are.

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #279 on: 18 July 2014, 01:05:09 »
Bah. We've had this thread for about 3 years. Someone will think of something.
"It's national writing month, not national writing week and a half you jerk" - Consequences, 9th November 2018

SulliMike23

• Lieutenant
« Reply #280 on: 18 July 2014, 09:23:16 »
Yeah, hopefully something good.

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #281 on: 19 July 2014, 01:42:59 »
Tribble 124

Jack Burton was only on Solaris to pilot his 'Mech in a few bouts and build up some cash before heading to Outreach.

Wang Chi just wanted to forget his past with the Shin Legion, marry his girlfriend and run his restaurant.

Gracie Law was going to make her name as a journalist by busting open the Lo Pan tong's abuse of the citizens of the Cathay quarter of Solaris City.

Now the Lo Pan and their Mechwarriors (the Three Storms) have Jack's Mech, Wang Chi's girlfriend and Gracie Law in their clutches. It's up to Jack, Wang (with a little help from black market dealer Egg Shen) to recover all three - which means Big Trouble in Little Cathay.
"It's national writing month, not national writing week and a half you jerk" - Consequences, 9th November 2018

knightowl

• Private
« Reply #282 on: 19 July 2014, 06:07:18 »
Tribble 124

Jack Burton was only on Solaris to pilot his 'Mech in a few bouts and build up some cash before heading to Outreach.

Wang Chi just wanted to forget his past with the Shin Legion, marry his girlfriend and run his restaurant.

Gracie Law was going to make her name as a journalist by busting open the Lo Pan tong's abuse of the citizens of the Cathay quarter of Solaris City.

Now the Lo Pan and their Mechwarriors (the Three Storms) have Jack's Mech, Wang Chi's girlfriend and Gracie Law in their clutches. It's up to Jack, Wang (with a little help from black market dealer Egg Shen) to recover all three - which means Big Trouble in Little Cathay.

HAHAHA Magic an Mech's. It all in the Reflex's.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #283 on: 19 July 2014, 06:14:30 »
I wonder what kind of a Mech the Pork Chop Express is?  ;D

wolfgar

• Captain
  • Wolfson's Heavy Raiders: 3058-3092
« Reply #284 on: 20 July 2014, 18:06:22 »
Tribble 124

i literally facepalmed at this....there is a special place for people who......ah hell now my brain is trying to write it.
Wolf wins every fight but one, and in that one he dies, his fangs locked on the throat of his opponent.

SulliMike23

• Lieutenant
« Reply #285 on: 24 July 2014, 16:35:42 »
Tribble 125

In 2958, Ristar Carmen of the Gastopiv-Gaiba sibko learned a horrible truth about her Clan's leaders; they had been making dealings with the Dark Caste since the end of Operation: Klondike. Disgusted by this, she quickly rose through the ranks and earned her the Gastopiv bloodname before leading a group of those she felt were loyal to the Clan and took out the leadership of her Clan, becoming the new Khan of Clan Burrock. As her first order of business, she ordered her Clan to hunt down all those who associated with this travesty and summarily execute them. She then tracked down the Bandit Caste holdings that her former leaders supported, and utterly destroyed them without them realizing what had happened within their Clan's leadership.

She later revealed this dastardly secret to the other Clans within the Grand Council; almost immediately (and unsurprisingly) the Blood Spirit Khans called for an immediate Trial of Absorption of Clan Burrock, which was refuted by her and the other Clan leaders who said that she had acted in her Clan's interests and removed the "taint" of her Clan. What Carmen Gastopiv had done not only cemented her Clan's place within Clan history, but ultimately changed the history of Operation: Revival itself.
« Last Edit: 24 July 2014, 16:59:39 by SulliMike23 »

SulliMike23

• Lieutenant
« Reply #286 on: 25 July 2014, 20:28:36 »
Tribble 126

It was the dawn of the 30th Century, almost 20 years since the Third Succession War began. Mankind was committing horrible atrocities over the title of an empty throne on Terra. But one day, something unexpected occurred; a fleet of ships not matching any known human design appeared over Terra, transmitting a message to all corners of the Inner Sphere requesting the leaders of every nation, be they Successor State or Periphery meet with them on Terra. These ships belonged to an alien race that had called themselves...the Protoss.

They appealed before mankind to aid them in a coming war; a war that would ultimately destroy all life in the Galaxy. The war...against the Zerg.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #287 on: 26 July 2014, 06:38:37 »
Awesome crossover! Where is jim raynor from?

SulliMike23

• Lieutenant
« Reply #288 on: 26 July 2014, 09:27:25 »
Awesome crossover! Where is jim raynor from?
Working on that.

Zureal

• Lieutenant
  • There are Mechs incoming? Bring up T-Rex!
« Reply #289 on: 26 July 2014, 09:42:56 »
Tribble 126

It was the dawn of the 30th Century, almost 20 years since the Third Succession War began. Mankind was committing horrible atrocities over the title of an empty throne on Terra. But one day, something unexpected occurred; a fleet of ships not matching any known human design appeared over Terra, transmitting a message to all corners of the Inner Sphere requesting the leaders of every nation, be they Successor State or Periphery meet with them on Terra. These ships belonged to an alien race that had called themselves...the Protoss.

They appealed before mankind to aid them in a coming war; a war that would ultimately destroy all life in the Galaxy. The war...against the Zerg.

I want to read this stat! Also... personally I believe that for the most part BT mechs will massacre zerg except for a few units. Eather way it will be a great read! :D

Vehrec

• Lieutenant
« Reply #290 on: 26 July 2014, 14:18:20 »
  I want to read this stat! Also... personally I believe that for the most part BT mechs will massacre zerg except for a few units. Eather way it will be a great read! :D

Yeah, the thing is that there are so many Zerglings that they will literally force you to run out of bullets before they run out of Zerg-and then they'll send in a Infestor to take control of your mechs.

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #291 on: 26 July 2014, 14:27:24 »
Yeah, the thing is that there are so many Zerglings that they will literally force you to run out of bullets before they run out of Zerg-and then they'll send in a Infestor to take control of your mechs.

Yeah, but the BTU is much bigger than the Terran population in StarCraft which is going to count for a lot against the swarming Zerg.

Also, Flamers and Pulse Lasers do not run out of ammunition.

View my design musings or request your own custom ride here.

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #292 on: 26 July 2014, 15:55:51 »
Tribble 127

Precentor Martial Focht made the hard decision not to reinforce the divisions facing Clan Wolf on Tukkayid. This left the largest, most prepared Clan deployment (and one of the best led) with the opportunity to score a smashing victory over the ComGuards, but Focht calculated that by defeating all six of the other Clans - Clans which, unlike the Wolves, had voted for the Invasion - and inflicting the maximum possible losses, he'd cripple future Clan operations for the critical next two to three years while the Inner Sphere finished re-equipping.

The result was precisely as expected. Khans Ulric Kerensky, Garth Radick and Natasha Kerensky fought their way to the target cities with losses not even a tenth of those taken by the Clans who'd landed earlier.

Which in the cases of most of them were very heavy losses indeed. Only Clan Ghost Bear managed to score a technical draw by taking one city, while the Steel Vipers, Smoke Jaguars and Jade Falcons saw the best of their touman dead on the battlefield. Combined with the previous losses on Luthien, Brandon Howell was left with little to defend the Smoke Jaguar Occupation Zone - a fact the Nova Cat Khans proved well aware of, taking seven worlds away from the Jaguars OZ over 3053. At least the trials blooded the next generation of warriors although it was far from enough to make good the losses. The Home Clans proved similarly aggressive against enclaves in the Pentagon and the Kerensky Cluster.

Elias Crichell survived Tukkayid only briefly. His customary transfer of blame to the saKhan who'd actually been in the battles cut little ice with the survivors. Rather than see the Clan's politics sink into a political morass, the aged Kael Pershaw challenged Crichell's warrior status and the two settled the matter with BattleMechs. Although technically the victor, the crippled Pershaw expired in the cockpit, body unable to take the ferocious heat. The Jade Falcons' security appeared to rest upon largely the fact that the Steel Vipers were in no better shape and the Smoke Jaguars being marginally more vulnerable.

Perhaps the most surprising fallout was among Clan Wolf. Long home to a strong Crusader faction, spearheaded by Conal Ward and Garth Radick, the schism over the Truce of Tukkayid left the Clan Council almost crippled with close vote after close vote being upheld or defeated in Trials of Refusal that sapped away the fighting strength of the Wolves. Rather than see this go on, the ilKhan ordered the unthinkable: the Clan of the Founder would be divided. Each warrior must choose a side and then every homeworld enclave, every occupied world and many other factors of the Clan's strength would be fought over - including, ultimately, the right to the Clan's name itself - in one on one Trials of Possession. It would be expensive and it would weaken the Wolf as never before... but out of the remains two healthy clans could form.

A Grand Council vote upheld the decision by a strong majority, partly from Crusaders seeing an addition to their votes and partly from Ulric's allies. Ultimately it was Khan Garth Radick who was able to secure for the Crusaders the name Wolf. Conal Ward was killed by Phelan Ward fighting for claim upon the occupied world of Gunzberg - his bloodright would be won by his protege Vladimir. Khan Natasha Kerensky elected to adopt the name of one of the fallen Clans: the Widowmakers would live once more and she secured the appointment of Phelan Ward as her saKhan. Making their headquarters on Rasalhague, the Widowmakers began to rapidly incorporate inhabitants of their OZ into the new Clan, shipping entire factories from the Homeworlds to New Bergen and New Oslo.

Meanwhile, Khan Radick focused on rebuilding from Tamar. In looking for new sources of recruits, he couldn't help be aware of the weakened Jade Falcons and Steel Vipers at his back... Perhaps Sudeten would be a more secure base for his Wolves... and a chance to finally settle the long feud...

SulliMike23

• Lieutenant
« Reply #293 on: 26 July 2014, 19:07:17 »
Sounds interesting. One minor decision could ultimately change the fate of the Clans forever.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #294 on: 28 July 2014, 11:16:24 »
Khan Natasha Kerensky elected to adopt the name of one of the fallen Clans: the Widowmakers would live once more and she secured the appointment of Phelan Ward as her saKhan. Making their headquarters on Rasalhague, the Widowmakers began to rapidly incorporate inhabitants of their OZ into the new Clan, shipping entire factories from the Homeworlds to New Bergen and New Oslo.

I love it except for the Widowmaker return. Make it the Black Widow Clan named after its founder. Why not just start a new bloodname for Phelan, Kell. Wolf actually had 43 Bloodnames to begin with and with 40 more from Widowmaker you easily have enough to split Clans into 40 Bloodnames a piece. I would think one Kerensky heritage would go to the Wolves and the other to the Black Widows.

Zureal

• Lieutenant
  • There are Mechs incoming? Bring up T-Rex!
« Reply #295 on: 28 July 2014, 18:28:05 »
I love it except for the Widowmaker return. Make it the Black Widow Clan named after its founder. Why not just start a new bloodname for Phelan, Kell. Wolf actually had 43 Bloodnames to begin with and with 40 more from Widowmaker you easily have enough to split Clans into 40 Bloodnames a piece. I would think one Kerensky heritage would go to the Wolves and the other to the Black Widows.

I think otherwise, I LOVE the widowmakers, as breif as there life was, and i whole hartedly applaud there return! :D  As a side note, in my opinion, i think the widowmakers had the best logo of all  8)

knightowl

• Private
« Reply #296 on: 29 July 2014, 06:27:48 »

Fights for the Kerensky Bloodlines round 150. They only stopped because of the Invasion.

SulliMike23

• Lieutenant
« Reply #297 on: 31 July 2014, 12:23:29 »
You know, I'm surprised nobody's commented on my tribble about Clan Burrock.

master arminas

• Captain
« Reply #298 on: 31 July 2014, 13:55:50 »
Tribble #128

Hall of Khans
Katyusha City, Strana Mechty
December 17, 2824

Thirty-eight Khans stood silently as their leader, Nicholas Kerensky, ilKhan of the Clans, and his wife, Jennifer Winson, entered the chamber.  Just over a year ago, there would have been forty Khans . . . but the Not-Named Clan had since been destroyed and the survivors of that bitter fight were slowly rebuilding from the chaos sown by their treachery.

"At ease," the ilKhan ordered as he reached the podium.  "Be seated . . . there are grave issues today which we must discuss.  Decisions which must be made that will determine the road forward for our Clans; for our Society," he continued.

The Khans sat, but many exchanged glances and there were low murmurs of questions . . . surely there could not be another schism in their ranks, not so soon.  Not after the Annihilation of the Not-Named and all, civilian and Warrior alike, who swore allegiance to them.

"My Khans," Nicholas began, but then he paused and shook his head.  "My friends.  My family.  For that is what we forty here today are in truth.  One family, divided into differing households, true, but one family we remain.  We are the Clans and always shall we remain such."

Nicholas stepped forward from his podium, and a servant brought out the worn, blood-stained, and much revered camp-stool that his father, Aleksandyr Kerensky, had used on campaign so many years before.  The ilKhan thanked the servant, and then he sat down, perched right on the edge of the dias.

"We, my brothers and sisters, we have fought to build this Society.  Through the Pentagon Civil War, to forming your Toumans here on Strana Mechty, to training our Warriors to a razor's edge, to liberating those five worlds during KLONDIKE, to dealing with the betrayal and base treachery of those who Shall Never Again Be Named."

"We have prevailed through all of this, my . . .," Nicholas smiled, but it was a weary smile.  "My trothkin, to use a word whose meaning is clear.  My family of the Oath."

Nicholas sighed.  "But there is something which troubles me . . . something which should trouble us all.  During the Civil War, during KLONDIKE, during the recent Annihilation . . . we were all reminded once again of the sheer destructive power contained within our WarShips.  The power to lay waste to entire populations at the order of a single man; whether or not that man is sane.  Or authorized by his superiors."

A low groan passed through the Khans, and the corner of Nicholas' lips twitched as he heard (at the very limits of his excellent hearing) Stephen McKenna, "Oh crap, not this again!"

Nicholas laughed.  "Yes, Stephen.  My mind has been troubled by the presence of our WarShips for a long, long time . . . and now I am convinced that we simply must take measures to ensure that they will NEVER again be responsible for the atrocities we have witnessed in the Pentagon and at Dehra Dun."

There was silence in the chamber and Nicholas nodded.

"We must destroy our WarShips."

Shouts of protest arose, but the ilKhan raised one hand and he waited until the furor died down.

"We will not destroy all of them, trothkin.  The Potemkins and Volga will be disarmed of all offensive weapon and converted purely into transport vessels . . . all of them will be concentrated under the direct command of the ilKhan and provided to the Khans as needed for transport and colonization."

"Furthermore," Nicholas continued, after briefly looking at his wife, who nodded in support, "I have been convinced that we must retain a small number of WarShips of our own.  But we must ensure that only our most loyal officers have command of them.  To that end, I will permit thirty-nine ships to remain operational and with their weaponry intact.  McKenna's Pride will serve as my Flagship, as the Flagship for all future ilKhans to come.  And each of you, my Khans, my brothers, my sisters, will select by Trial one vessel that will serve as your Flagships."

"But I will not do this by decree," Nicholas declared.  "Such a decision must be made by this body as a whole.  YOU, my family, my loved friends, you must make this decision and you must stand by it.  As must your successors."

There was a moments silence.

"What of the Inner Sphere?  They have WarShips of their own; what of our eventual return?" asked Stephen McKenna.

"Let us be realistic, Stephen.  It will be two centuries, at the least, before we are ready to return.  We must develop our industry here, we must drive forward our technology, we must . . .," Nicholas smiled again, "we must take the time to bond our Clans into an unstoppable sword that when swung cannot be parried.  We will address the issue with WarShips at that time . . . not before.  Until then, they are a drain upon our resources and manpower.  Symbols of authority and playthings for a mere handful of Warriors that serve no purpose."

"And if we do not agree, ilKhan?" the Snow Raven Khan asked quietly.

"Then I will abdicate and my wife and I will retire into exile and obscurity."

Shouts of denial and shock reverbeted throughout the Hall.  Even Stephen McKenna stood, his face draining of blood to become as pale as a linen sheet.

"Shall I call the vote?" asked Nicholas.
« Last Edit: 31 July 2014, 14:02:18 by master arminas »

master arminas

• Captain
« Reply #299 on: 31 July 2014, 14:01:29 »
I have often wondered . . . how might BTU history have been changed if the Clans had lost their WarShips (or most of them) as well?  Well, here is a chance to see. 

MA

Register