Author Topic: The Next Invasion: how would the HW Clans come?  (Read 86911 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Re: The Next Invasion: how would the HW Clans come?
« Reply #180 on: 07 December 2011, 15:14:31 »
You guys keep saying this as if increasing production was as simple as adding a second shift the the factory.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #181 on: 07 December 2011, 17:00:49 »
I would like to see new developments in genetic research. They focused to improve the warrior genes until the WoR. They have now a deficit in scientists. Whats closer as to develop a scientist genecaste ? Real brainheads to make them better weapons ?  O:-)

Go read Azimov as to why the super intelligent robots don't rule over the stupid humans.

soshi

• Master Sergeant
  • reed'n be fun four da mentals
« Reply #182 on: 07 December 2011, 17:04:39 »
conquer the Chainelane- easiest and fast way to get more people and increase production of raw materials , found new colonies near needed resources, Build new factories, train more people to do what you need them for and put them were you need them.   We are talking in a time frame of 80 years,  not 5 or 10,  they have plenty of time to build up.  BTW the Pentagon worlds are poor  the colonies are not poor.

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #183 on: 07 December 2011, 17:35:24 »
You guys keep saying this as if increasing production was as simple as adding a second shift the the factory.

You know every time it fits to the wishes of any writer a factory or naval yard or whatever can be build in absolutely secret in less than one year. ;)
Definitely the clans are the ones with all the knowledge to do it. And there is no labor union to hamper them.  8)

Urban Kufahl

• Lieutenant
  • Si vis pacem.. et caetera, ad nauseam
« Reply #184 on: 07 December 2011, 17:53:47 »
Some data from TRO :

Great Wyrm : (2844)

"The Great Wyrm performed even better than expected, and Mongoose scientists increased production to capacity; they churned out scores of the units to swell their own rank and hundreds more to trade with other clans..". The production stopped in 2869, so they produce hundreds or thousands of this mech in 25 years (almost 200 was still operational in the 3060's)

Ursus : Alshain captured in 3051, Bear's start the upgrade of the factory from IS light capability to Clan Heavy, it took 7 years. Late 3059 first Ursus production, end 3060 (grossly 1 year later) most of the planets on the boundary with the DC have at least 1 star of Ursus (+/- 50).

Nobodies said it was easy but it is fare from impossible, for the lack of ressources, manpower maybe but the raw materials ... common they have dozens of planets to exploit, moons, asteroid belt .. etc ;)

Urban Kufahl

• Lieutenant
« Reply #185 on: 07 December 2011, 17:59:42 »
You know every time it fits to the wishes of any writer a factory or naval yard or whatever can be build in absolutely secret in less than one year. ;)
Definitely the clans are the ones with all the knowledge to do it. And there is no labor union to hamper them.  8)
Like an "allmighty" Leviathan Prime warship ?  O:-)

soshi

• Master Sergeant
  • reed'n be fun four da mentals
« Reply #186 on: 07 December 2011, 19:41:20 »
I think a warship based strategy has the most chance of success.  But they just need a lot of them. 

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #187 on: 07 December 2011, 20:18:10 »
As I have alluded to before. The Republic has a magical jumpcore twisting technology. WarShips aren't going to work.

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #188 on: 07 December 2011, 20:23:27 »
As I have alluded to before. The Republic has a magical jumpcore twisting technology. WarShips aren't going to work.

They'll work if that core is turned off.

It's not.  But give them 100 years of working together and pooling resources to build up for a new invasion... I'd bet it is possible to have a significant invasion force.

To the patient go the spoils

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #189 on: 07 December 2011, 21:00:25 »
They'll work if that core is turned off.

That'll be a long trip. Maybe they can get to Terra before Sol issues a Trial of Absorption.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #190 on: 07 December 2011, 21:31:54 »
Hey, they could beat it.

After all, it's only going to be bidding one star. ;D

It's not.  But give them 100 years of working together and pooling resources to build up for a new invasion... I'd bet it is possible to have a significant invasion force.

Hey, which thread was it where people were complaining about how the IS Clans didn't behave like Clans anymore?

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #191 on: 07 December 2011, 22:18:32 »
No one said the clans couldn't work together to take back Terra.  They're supposed to be rivals not enemies.  Reinstating the Star League was supposed to be a common goal.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #192 on: 07 December 2011, 22:46:12 »
I was talking about the proposal for a century's worth of military buildup and the use of massed Warship fleets.

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #193 on: 08 December 2011, 00:37:25 »
...Actually, I see it a lot like a fiction project of Master Arimas' from the OurBattletech forums - seize the means of production, and hold it as long as possible before destroying it while using WarShips to glass everything they can find but can't hold and every IS unit they can locate.  I'd hope they take IS tech and units as Isorla, but they might not.

Frankly, though, I don't see a lot of people advocating a scouting mission - something the Adders did for Klondike.  I'm expecting them to do it again.  I also expected the HPG crash to signal their arrival, but so far nada. 
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #194 on: 08 December 2011, 01:01:11 »
Wasn't it confirmed that the HPG crash was caused by ComStar?

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #195 on: 08 December 2011, 01:32:53 »
It's not been confirmed who initiated the crash, but the front runner right now is Devlin Stone.

As far as things go, Comstar really, really hasn't been helped by the blackout.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #196 on: 08 December 2011, 01:51:52 »
Remember clan tactical reptile is running the show.  I imagine the Adders are going to have a significantly different approach to running an invasion.

Didn't notice this. That makes it really easy to stop the invasion. Kill the highest ranking officer and watch the hilarity. Alternatively ignore the attack and watch the melt down as something totally unplanned for leaves the Adders without a clue of what to do.

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #197 on: 08 December 2011, 02:58:28 »
Didn't notice this. That makes it really easy to stop the invasion. Kill the highest ranking officer and watch the hilarity. Alternatively ignore the attack and watch the melt down as something totally unplanned for leaves the Adders without a clue of what to do.

And why do you think that does fit the Adders?

--------------------------------------

BTW given the new philosophical direction of the Neo-Wardism the Homeclans may just start raids for resources they need.
Iif they are still interested in the IS, that tainted territory.
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #198 on: 08 December 2011, 08:50:03 »

You mean the clan where tactical prowess is expected and trained into all the warrior caste?  Sure kill the khan and a couple galaxy commanders.  The replacements will step up and be just fine.  I also think head hunting Adder commanders might cause them to immediately pull all their forces off your planet... unfortunately they follow that with orbital bombardment.

GhostBear

• Minister of Assimilation, TOG Empire
  • Captain
  • And....out.
    • One world at a time...
« Reply #199 on: 08 December 2011, 08:55:36 »
Like an "allmighty" Leviathan Prime warship ?  O:-)

The Lev Prime took at least 3-4 years to build.
Eh.

Gaiiten

• Captain
« Reply #200 on: 08 December 2011, 09:26:35 »

Hmmm, that means in a (maybe) 3150 invasion there will be between 16 and 21(!) Lev Prime !!!!
(3086-3150 = 64 years)

;)
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #201 on: 08 December 2011, 12:53:06 »

Now were going to have people assuming we get one for every 3.5 years the clans are gone.

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #202 on: 08 December 2011, 13:05:15 »
I was talking about the proposal for a century's worth of military buildup and the use of massed Warship fleets.

Maybe the clans remember which heirs they are ? 8)

GhostBear

• Captain
  • And....out.
    • One world at a time...
« Reply #203 on: 08 December 2011, 13:07:02 »
Now were going to have people assuming we get one for every 3.5 years the clans are gone.

Assuming the slip that built them is still intact. Which it isn't.
Eh.

Gaiiten

• Captain
« Reply #204 on: 08 December 2011, 14:22:06 »
Assuming the slip that built them is still intact. Which it isn't.

Did the blueprints for the Lev Prime survive?

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #205 on: 08 December 2011, 16:35:37 »
And the II and refits took 7 years a piece.

You mean the clan where tactical prowess is expected and trained into all the warrior caste?  Sure kill the khan and a couple galaxy commanders.  The replacements will step up and be just fine.  I also think head hunting Adder commanders might cause them to immediately pull all their forces off your planet... unfortunately they follow that with orbital bombardment.

Adders are known for dropping their bundle when the uber plan collapses or the senior officer dies. They aren't known for their initiative the lower down the tree they go.

Urban Kufahl

• Lieutenant
« Reply #206 on: 08 December 2011, 16:45:31 »
Did the blueprints for the Lev Prime survive?
Personally i think having numerous medium sized ships is better than 1 big target  ::). Space is the sea of futur and Killer whales rules the seas  ;)

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #207 on: 08 December 2011, 17:42:32 »

Adders are known for dropping their bundle when the uber plan collapses or the senior officer dies. They aren't known for their initiative the lower down the tree they go.

Where is that stated, that sounds more like the Blood Spirit section of FM:CC than the Adder section?

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #208 on: 08 December 2011, 17:45:05 »
Considering the current IS tactic of 'nuke it till it glows' its not like warships are the 'I win button they used to be.

GhostBear

• Captain
  • And....out.
    • One world at a time...
« Reply #209 on: 08 December 2011, 22:38:03 »

Ah, but the Lev Prime is the original design, not the cocked-up transport-turned-battleship the Bears concocted. What, you thought the Vipers were holding cotillions on Lum in 30 ;)65?

Paul and I knew what we were doing in crafting that monster into the story.  O0
Eh.