Author Topic: ’Mech of the Week: NDA-*** No-Dachi  (Read 16107 times)

Kotetsu

• Captain
’Mech of the Week: NDA-*** No-Dachi
« on: 11 November 2011, 02:17:30 »
’Mech of the Week: NDA-*** No-Dachi

The No-Dachi, the first BattleMech design to feature the sometimes loved, sometimes much maligned sword. Originally appearing in Field Manual: Draconis Combine, the No-Dachi weighs in at seventy tons, and named for the two-handed Japanese sword used for removing a horse and rider from action in one stroke.

Somewhat amusingly, the BattleMechs that bear the names of the smaller, yet more famous, Katana and Wakizashi are both fifteen tons heavier. (Though I must admit, I preferred the old Tech Factory Wakizashi. It fit my personality.)

As for real-world experience… well, let’s just say my luck goes from scalding/frozen to absolutely insane when using one of these. Once I waded into five assaults, cut off all their heads, and emerged having several places with one spot of internal left, and the only armor on the machine being a single point on the head. Considering those assaults included an Atlas and a BattleMaster, my opponent was not pleased.

(Then again, he hasn’t had the best luck with BattleMasters…)

The genesis of the No-Dachi and the sword it carries can be traced back to the success of the Federated Commonwealth with the Axman and Hatchetman BattleMechs. Seeing this, Combine manufacturers began designing prototypes for new machines carrying hatchets. Unfortunately for those prototypes, they received lukewarm (at best) reactions from the MechWarriors of House Kurita. This was because the hatchet was seen as a barbarian weapon to the ingrained samurai mindset of the culture. Though it took some time to perfect the sword (the earlier ones tended to snap), the designers did manage the feat eventually.

Alongside this feat, the Cosby Myomer Research Firm managed to reverse-engineer a batch of new triple-strength myomer from a Davion BattleMech. Shortly thereafter, the Eleventh Legion of Vega approached them to create a machine to use these two technologies. The result is one of the best close-combat machines in the game, the NDA-1K.

The look of the design is fearsome, up to and including the “mask” on the head. Aside from the right-arm mounted sword, there is a left-arm mounted ER PPC, taken from a stock removed by Panther pilots. (This has led to me envisioning a pilot thrusting the PPC forward as it holds the sword aloft behind it.) Twin shoulder-mounted medium-range-missile 20 racks allow for additional close-in power (as well as annoying one’s opponent). A head-mounted medium laser, a centerline 4-pack SRM, and a 2-pack SRM in the left arm round out the firepower. Each missile rack has a ton of ammunition allocated to it. Ten double-heat sinks allow you to pick and choose your weapon’s fire (though an Alpha Strike will put you in bad shape, especially if the TSM is already active).

A 350-rated extralight engine pushes the machine to similar speeds to the Mad Cat, and active TSM will allow it to keep up with much lighter designs. Standard armor plate is used to grant 88% of maximum protection, which is laid out somewhat smart. All front locations can pass the Class-20 test, with the center torso one point off taking two Gauss slugs without breaching. The rear is a little less protected, though each rear torso can withstand a large laser, and the center rear can take an Inner Sphere PPC. An endo-steel skeleton underlies all of it. There is no CASE on this machine, but considering where the ammunition stores are, there’s rather little point.

A year later, the second variant, designated the NDA-2K was field-tested by the Legions of Vega. The differences start with the downgrading of the MRM’s to twin 10-packs, each fed by two tons of ammo (which might be a bit much). The PPC has been replaced with an extended large laser, and the rest of the original weapons were removed. They were replaced with five medium pulse lasers, two in the left arm, two in the left torso, and one in the right, a small laser in the head, and a Guardian ECM suite in the center. An additional heat sink allows for somewhat more firepower. Finally, the armor has been upped to 95% of maximum, most of it to the legs.

A third variant, the NDA-2KO is the penultimate in-fighter of the variants. First the large laser was exchanged for a large pulse. One of the medium pulses was repositioned from the arm to the right torso, a small pulse added in its place. An additional medium pulse was placed in the center, since the ECM suite and MRM launchers were removed. A centerline flamer, and a rear-firing extended medium was placed in each torso. Two additional heat sinks allow for a variety of firing schemes, sure to tear holes in one’s opponents. Finally, the armor was increased to 99% of maximum (one point from max on the center). The front center and legs can now take two Gauss slugs without breach, and all the rear torsos can take a PPC blast.

According to the variant notes in TRO: 3067, the ECM in the -2K had been installed because a C3 Slave unit was seen by the Legion members as not suitable for samurai (they didn’t want to share their kills). Amusingly, in TRO: 3085’s Old is New New section, someone took a -2KO model and replaced the right torso’s rear-firing medium with a Slave. Whether this NDA-2KC model is popular with those same samurai may be a moot point, as it appears to have shown up after the Jihad ended.

Sometime in the course of the Jihad, a variant designated the NDA-3S showed up. This variant mounts three medium pulse lasers, one small pulse laser, two extended-model medium lasers, three standard small lasers, and two medium variable-speed pulse lasers. Additionally this variant swaps the sword for a bulkier mace, allowing for extremely brutal hits up-close. Fourteen double heat sinks provide cooling.

Finally, there is the NDA-3X, an experimental unit first seen in the Experimental TRO: Kurita. Based on the -1K, this variant strips out everything except the engine and endo-steel skeleton. Clan ferro-fibrous armor gives the machine maximum protection (and apparently CASE). The sword has been replaced with a large vibroblade (probably from the Hachiwara). Since (in their view) TSM was no longer necessary, a Supercharger was used to give the design even higher speeds. A Clan PPC replaces the Inner Sphere version, twin Clan LRM 15 racks with Artemis IV replace the unguided rockets, with one ton of ammunition allocated for each launcher. One rear-firing Clan small laser is in the left torso, and a Clan medium in the head. Fifteen Clan double heat sinks help to moderate the heat produced by the weapons. Finally, an armored cockpit was used to help with the survivability of the pilot (though by the time you need it, it might be a little late).

Use of one of these machines varies only slightly with the variant. All of them are meant for close combat. My preference is to get in the enemy’s face and then slice and dice it like a ginsu blade. However, some might wish to pick their spots more carefully. The -1K, -2K, and -3X have weapons systems that allow you to snipe from range. On the other hand, the -2KO, and -2KC find it necessary to be in-close. Watch your heat carefully. While it is relatively easy to activate TSM, and to keep it running, those who forget to mind it can find themselves either shutting down, suffering ammunition explosions, or not have the extra power they need when they do try and smack their enemies. While the -3X does not have this problem, be careful not to overuse your Supercharger. A failed roll there can have catastrophic results.

Just remember, once you engage, do not stop until your opponent is dead. Also, if he happens to fall down before you can put him to the sword, feel free to kick him.

Fighting one is a question of firepower. Bring as much as you can. Since he will be trying to close with you, hitting him repeatedly while he is doing so will make him less effective when he finally arrives. If he does. With the -1K, -2K, and -3X, critting an ammunition bin will almost certainly take him out of action. Now, if you like to fight fire with fire, there are several machines out there that can assist you in this. There is at least one variant of the Black Knight, as well as a Banshee, and a Charger variant. And of course, the TSM Berserker can be a good choice (though even I might think twice about closing with that beast).  There is also the possibility of using one of the Hachiwaras from Solaris VII. Considering those machines used the No-Dachi as a basis, it would be ironic, to say the least.
« Last Edit: 28 January 2014, 18:08:41 by Kotetsu »

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
Re: ’Mech of the Week: NDA-*** No-Dachi
« Reply #1 on: 11 November 2011, 13:17:48 »
IMO the 2KO model is one of the best TSM mechs around.

Neufeld

• Captain
  • Raven, Lyran, Horse, Capellan, Canopian, Bear
« Reply #2 on: 12 November 2011, 15:36:18 »
The missile-heavy 1K looks like a bad idea for a TSM mech. However, the 2K series seems like a much better idea.
Regrading the Sword, 8 damage does not impress, but TSM brings it up to a decent 16. (The Large Vibroblade does 14 when active.)

"Real men and women do not need Terra"
-- Grendel Roberts
"
We will be used to subdue the Capellan Confederation. We will be used to bring the Free Worlds League to heel. We will be used to
hunt bandits and support corrupt rulers and to reinforce the evils of the Inner Sphere that drove our ancestors from it so long ago."
-- Elias Crichell

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #3 on: 13 November 2011, 17:52:31 »
The No-Dachi has been an oddball for me. I've never been able to land a blow with the sword; in fact, I've only had the chance to on a few occasions. However, at the same time, It's been a smashing success. For some reason, opponents are disproportionately afraid of the sword+TSM combo and will waste excessive amounts of fire on trying to bring it down. So while they're going all out to kill it, they'll be ignoring the Akuma or Avatar or Dragon Fire or Atlas or whatever else that's tearing up their forces.

As a result? I think that the No-Dachi is the best luck I've ever had with a melee mech.

Besides, it looks cool, and that's what counts, right?
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Nightsong

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 16 November 2011, 04:19:08 »
I've always been rather fond of the 2KO variant myself, and it's an urban/close quarters nightmare. New plasma weaponry can be risky but at least the 2KO doesn't have ammo to cook off. Though a 2KO variant with a Plasma Rifle might be fun, to finally be on the giving end of a TSM disruption, as well as give it a weapon with a little range. Need to figure out where to trim the extra weight for ammo though. Been a while since I looked at the sheet.

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
« Reply #5 on: 16 November 2011, 15:16:06 »
I have done horrific things with the 2K and 2KO. It is a great combo of ECM+Pulse Loving+28 points kick. I snapped 3 legs in one combat. For me, it is a murderous machine. Now, with MMLs and SRMs loaded with inferno and Plasma Rifles, is not that good but it is a great machine.
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #6 on: 16 November 2011, 16:10:41 »
With the advent of the 2KO and 2KC, it still remains relevant as a combat unit, but historically the 1K was impressive, finally looking to build a 'Mech around TSM rather than just throwing it on a Centurion or a Locust. Certainly still fun to play.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 17 November 2011, 15:28:14 »
Never performed near as well as the Ti Tsang for me, although the 2KO has done OK for me on occasion.

Welshman

• Mostly Retired Has Been
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 22 November 2011, 11:33:34 »
For a while the Battle Corps regiments second battalion command lance consisted of 2 Berskerers, 1 KC and a Lao Hu C3 Master. The power of three C3 equipped TSM units, backed by a fire support Mech made for some bloody battles, including the one that led to the death of the KC pilot and destruction of the CO's Berserker.

TSM done right can be the stuff of legends.
-Joel BC-
Catalyst Freelancer (Inactive)

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

sandstorm

• Lieutenant
  • Slayers Clear the Way
« Reply #9 on: 22 November 2011, 16:57:10 »
Dual Berzerker peekaboo-WHAM comes to mind...
 O:-)
Ex Dubio, Obscura
--------------------
"Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it."

Welshman

• Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 22 November 2011, 17:19:34 »
Dual Berzerker peekaboo-WHAM comes to mind...
 O:-)

Best scene ever was the pirates running away from the dual Berzerkers, only to round the corner and come face to face with the bright pink Demolisher II.

-Joel BC-

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #11 on: 22 November 2011, 18:10:05 »
Fire, garish frying pan, Scylla, Charybdis, Demolisher II, two Berserkers...

What is it about Demolisher stories that seem to attract brown pants moments, anyway?

3rdCrucisLancers

• SAVAGE
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
  • Smallest star in the firmament
« Reply #12 on: 22 November 2011, 18:13:11 »
Because nobody tells the stories that go: "there I was in my Demolisher, immobilized by LRMs to my tracks, taking it in the shorts at ten hexes range until I ran up the white flag"?
« Last Edit: 22 November 2011, 18:25:53 by 3rdCrucisLancers »
Fighter of the Nightman (ah-ah-ah)
Champion of the Sun (ah-ah-ah)

Welshman

• Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 22 November 2011, 18:23:18 »
Because nobody tells the stories that go: "there I was in my Demolisher, immobilized by LRMs to my tracks, tacking it in the shorts at ten hexes range until I ran up the white flag"?

If you park you Demolisher where people can see you for more than 60 meters, you are doing something wrong.

But this is about the No Dachi. Anyone got a wonder story of just the right sword hit?
-Joel BC-

Scrollreader

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #14 on: 22 November 2011, 19:48:19 »
I'm just not sold on swords, mechanically.  There are a very, very few situations, IMO where I can't kick instead (and get the -2 to hit AND twice as much damage), or punch (for a much better shot at a one-hit-KO AND two chances to hit, which is generally better than the -2).  The Vibroblade option is a more interesting one, IMO, since it lets you break the 'tonnage' limits on headcapping even more than TSM does, and can provide a real incentive over your normal physical attack routine.  Swords just don't provide a big enough improvement (if ANY improvement) over punching to make them seem worthwhile to me.

That being said, I like TSM!  And a pair of 14 point punches from the -2KO at 6/9 with the TSM up is pretty enticing.  I may have to give it a try, sometime (but I don't see it replacing the Ti T'Sang as my melee mech of choice).

Kotetsu

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 22 November 2011, 21:24:45 »
Problem is, the No-Dachi only has one hand, so dual-punching might be slightly tricky.

Great stories? Well, there was the time I waded into a couple Berserkers and lived... by decapitating both on successive rounds.

kuttsinister7

• Master Sergeant
  • I send recon, then artillery, then main forces...
« Reply #16 on: 23 November 2011, 19:47:38 »
Well written article, I own two of the mini and they get used whenever I play OP4 Sword of Light or Legion of Vega... >:D
If you can't reach for the stars, then call the Doom Stars. We will fix that for you...

Einhander

• Corporal
« Reply #17 on: 30 November 2011, 03:33:11 »
One of my fondest battletech memories was running a lance of melee mechs including the 2K0.

The force consisted of the following:
The herder: TsTiang (with smaller lasers and Tag)
The tank: Black Knight (with the axe)
The point man: NoDachi 2K0
The Dakka: Falconer, but this spot seemed to be a redshirt and any firepower unit (erppc/guass cerberus, etc) I had in my hangar would be used.
The Meesilze: 1-2 charparals.

The BK and Falc would sit back and take potshots at the enemy while my TsiTiang would charge in and keep the enemy dodging kicks and artillery (ruining to-hit mods and positioning). The NoDachi, with it's pulse lasers, high speed, and heavy physicals would run around in the mid-field, pouncing on light units and taking attacks of opportunity when they presented themselves. I tried to keep as much damage as possible off the mech, however, to keep it fresh into late game.

Like most megamek games, it would usually devolve into a close range slugging match. At this point my Falconer would be in a safe hideyhole taking potshots at medium range (if it didnt get pasted), while my BK waded into the fray (not only is it tough, but by being over-weaponed it stayed combat effective much longer). By this point the Tsi would be down for the count (usually legged ironically).

This is where the NoDachi shined. The field would be devoid of lighter units and the larger enemy units were starting to see breaches in armor. I would start making slashing attacks, coordinating fire with the remaining units to kill or disable whatever was left.

I think I was on a win streak of 5-8 before the server reset. Those were good times /flashback

Kotetsu

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 28 January 2014, 18:09:25 »
Added -3S variant to the write-up. Note: It is where it should be, before the -3X mod.

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 28 January 2014, 19:24:49 »
The 3S sure seems to show a lack in finesse.
Then again, subtlety has never quite helped you smash peoples heads in.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #20 on: 28 January 2014, 19:58:19 »
I believe the 3S is an export model to the Lyrans.  Subtly is not something that they tend to be known for!  ;D

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #21 on: 29 January 2014, 09:36:01 »
I believe the 3S is an export model to the Lyrans.  Subtly is not something that they tend to be known for!  ;D
You would think that the Combine Merchants would tell Lyrans asking to puchased the 'Mech, "NO-Dachi for you!  :))
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #22 on: 29 January 2014, 10:51:00 »
Aside from the right-arm mounted sword, there is a left-arm mounted ER PPC, taken from a stock removed by Panther pilots.

this is an interesting bit of fluff, since the fact it is an ERPPC implies that Panther Pilots were in the process of converting their 3050 PNT-10K's over to standard PPC's.. which is a variant we don't actually have official stats for! (one would imagine that the heat issues of the -10K was what caused the pilots to apply for the switch.)

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 29 January 2014, 10:54:38 »
this is an interesting bit of fluff, since the fact it is an ERPPC implies that Panther Pilots were in the process of converting their 3050 PNT-10K's over to standard PPC's.. which is a variant we don't actually have official stats for! (one would imagine that the heat issues of the -10K was what caused the pilots to apply for the switch.)

PNT-10KA is in RS3050U IS.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

WarGod

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: 29 January 2014, 19:58:43 »
Only used a No dachi once.  forget which model.  Anyways, took alot of fire, I mean I had maybe 5 points of armor in any location.  I manged to get in close, fire both MRM 20 racks, and the PPC.  just over heated enough to keep the TSM warm.  Did a sword attack, and Decaped my buddies devastator.  Next turn I attacked a Warhammer with in much the same way.  In stead of the Decap, I crited the warhamers engine out.
Next turn couple turns I spent taking the long way around some hills, to flank.  Opened up again on a Falconer.  then swung the sword, and Hit Center torso rear, next turn the falconer tried to turn around, I still managed to get behind him, sure nuff, center torso rear.  no crit.
Long story short 3 tunrs or so latter, missing my left arm, and Lower leg actuator, I hit the falconer again Center torso rear, and cored it.  After that 2 trebuchets, a Archer, and the entire freaking kitchen sink opened up, and blew up the no-dachi. 
A knight in shining armor is a man who has never had his metal truly tested
You're falling through the air in a Grenadier. Style went out the window long before you did.

daeceg

• Corporal
« Reply #25 on: 02 February 2014, 02:36:04 »
In our local convention, the No Dachi-2KO is de rigeur for anyone who wants to win the Gunslinger tournament.  That degree of brutal close-in firepower and speed is tough to beat, even if the sword rarely becomes a factor.  (we usually go for the kick and the double PSR...)

Kotetsu

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: 02 February 2014, 06:07:13 »
In our local convention, the No Dachi-2KO is de rigeur for anyone who wants to win the Gunslinger tournament.  That degree of brutal close-in firepower and speed is tough to beat, even if the sword rarely becomes a factor.  (we usually go for the kick and the double PSR...)

Depending on the pilot, I do get tempted to kick instead of slash. But with a not-so hot pilot, at least you don't risk the failed PSR for missing a sword strike...

daeceg

• Corporal
« Reply #27 on: 06 February 2014, 02:21:10 »
Makes sense---but the physical weapons on our mechs seem to draw an inordinate amount of fire--I ran a Ti T'sang for 5 games before I got a chance to swing the hatchet...damn thing kept drawing crits to the arm/hand/axe....

Kotetsu

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: 06 February 2014, 03:17:49 »
Makes sense---but the physical weapons on our mechs seem to draw an inordinate amount of fire--I ran a Ti T'sang for 5 games before I got a chance to swing the hatchet...damn thing kept drawing crits to the arm/hand/axe....

Oh, there's not doubt they draw fire. My problem isn't losing the weapon so much. It's that when the 'Mech does go down before reaching melee, its usually cause some lucky schlub on the hill managed to hit him in the head with something very not nice...

daeceg

• Corporal
« Reply #29 on: 07 February 2014, 01:23:04 »
Ahh...ick...
For some reason, my hatchets/swords/maces always seem to have "Shoot Here!" signs painted on them...