Author Topic: Old sourcebook warship question  (Read 3175 times)

Alex Keller

• Captain
Old sourcebook warship question
« on: 14 November 2011, 23:33:48 »
Hello.  I've been going through some of the older FASA era products (The Falcon and the Wolf, Clan Jade Falcon, Clan Wolf) and I noticed that there are quite a few warships that appear in those products but were not included in the FM: Crusader Clans and FM: Warden Clans products. 

Example:  The Dark Wolf is a Black Lion class warship found on page 45 of The Falcon and the Wolf.  The Arctic Wolf is a Black Lion class warship found on page 83 of the Wolf Clan sourcebook. Yet I cannot find these warships in the Field Manual series or the more recent Field Report: Clans or War of Reaving.  There is the Implacable, a Black Lion class found on page 156 of FM: Warden Clans and there are the Blood Drinker and Stealthy Kill Black Lions found in FM: Crusader Clans on page 139.

Are we to discard references to ships found in these source books?

Were names somehow changed?  (I'm aware of the Mother Jocasta becoming the Ulric Kerensky)

I'm kinda confused as to what is going on with the older source books.

Thank you for your help.

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
Re: Old sourcebook warship question
« Reply #1 on: 15 November 2011, 04:50:11 »
In general newer trumps the older, but that does not mean the newer can't have mistakes.

I'd chalk it up to either name changes (Clan Wolf in Exile enjoys renaming their ships, after all) or faulty info.

With regards,
Øystein

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 15 November 2011, 11:50:49 »
Thanks, Øystein. 

The Wolf Clan and Jade Falcon Clan sourcebooks are written by ComStar authors after their extensive cooperation with the invading clans.  The intended audience is their own cadet corps, so I don't think ComStar would intentionally mislead their own young officers.  The level of detail in these books is amazing so I was taken aback by the seeming lack of continuity with later books. 

It's not just Clan Wolf warships, I'm finding a lot of discrepancies with Jade Falcon ships as well.  By your answer, it seems that the later Field Manual series is more accurate, and that the Battletech products going forward have used the Field Manual series.  Do I have the right of it?

Thanks again.

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: 15 November 2011, 12:01:27 »
Correct.

And if you want a very good example of faulty information in the first Clan books, look at page 36 of the Jade Falcon SB, and tell me where in the Jade Falcon OZ of 3052 Alkalurops is.... (A hint, it is about 60 light years from Terra, kind of far from the Periphery border of the Lyran part of the Federated Commonwealth).

With regards,
Øystein

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 15 November 2011, 12:12:12 »
Thanks, I have not gone through all the invasion planets but that is clearly a mistake, even down to the description of the actual combatants.  I question the academic integrity of the Sandhurst Royal Military Academy....   :D 

Register