Author Topic: Charity Auction AWS-9Q Awesome in 23rd Arcturan Guards  (Read 8382 times)

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
Charity Auction AWS-9Q Awesome in 23rd Arcturan Guards
« on: 20 November 2011, 18:28:31 »
Normally when I post a mini I start with some fluff, but this time, I am going to start with some reality.

With the economic downturn that has plagued the USA for the past several years, I don't think anyone who lives here hasn't been touched in some way or another. Whether it is someone you know, or even yourself, there are times when we could use a little help..

When I found out that one of my fellow Mechwarriors over at LOTB was in a bit of trouble and could use a hand, we came up with the idea to hold an auction to help. And I was personally shocked at the amount of help that came in...

Anyway... Here is my donation... Comments, suggests and steal-able ideas always welcome.

Caz
« Last Edit: 24 October 2016, 19:41:04 by Cazaril »

TheMaster1955

• Captain
Re: Charity Auction AWS-9Q Awesome in 23rd Arcturan Guards
« Reply #1 on: 20 November 2011, 18:49:09 »
very nice O0
Life: Some assembly required!

billtfor3

• Lieutenant
  • Smashing Liao and Kurita since 3025!
« Reply #2 on: 20 November 2011, 19:25:30 »
Awesome paint job and repose.  I'll be after this one!
SGT Mark McKinnon, Recon Lance McKinnon's Company, 7th Crusis Lancers, Federated Suns

Burning Chrome

• Lieutenant
  • One of the Vocal Minority
« Reply #3 on: 20 November 2011, 19:27:11 »
 :o
"Matchup of the century: desire to play vs. resentment"

Siberian-troll

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 20 November 2011, 19:39:58 »
It's a really Awesome, indeed  O0

HavocTheWarDog

• Captain
  • Lead or Follow, but get outa my way!
« Reply #5 on: 20 November 2011, 20:18:52 »
That is freakin' beautiful!
 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0
"Veni Vidi Vici"

Dragoon1

• Warrant Officer
    • http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e62/GrungeVibe/dragoons.gif[/IMG]
« Reply #6 on: 20 November 2011, 20:24:43 »
All I can say is wow!  That is an awesome Awesome!  That is a wonderful work for a good cause.   [drool] O0 O0 O0 8) :D

Amalor Myrnnyx

• Lieutenant
  • www.myrnnyx.com
    • Myrnnyx Minis
« Reply #7 on: 20 November 2011, 20:43:49 »
Outstanding !  O0
-James Degenhardt

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #8 on: 20 November 2011, 22:33:47 »
Beutiful work [rockon]
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

Fletch

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 20 November 2011, 23:11:33 »
Great job.  I so hate painting in white.

krazzyharry

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 21 November 2011, 00:09:09 »
Vey nice!

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #11 on: 21 November 2011, 00:30:59 »
Great looking Awesome and for a good cause.
I wish I could place a bid to help a fellow mech jock out but I'm just as broke as your bro  ;D 
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Nibs

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 21 November 2011, 02:58:43 »
Superb!

In particular, I enjoy the black arm cannons in deep contrast to the white. It really works well.

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 21 November 2011, 10:19:15 »
Superb!

In particular, I enjoy the black arm cannons in deep contrast to the white. It really works well.

I'm glad you like it... But actually it is a paint style...

PPC and Laser barrels are assumed (at least in my universe) to get so hot that they will bubble paint. So they are always done in metallic... The picture doesn't show it well, but they were done in a mix of Reaper Adamantine Black and Gunmetal Blue, with a bit or Scorched Metal around the tips.

As a side note, I also tried something new for this piece... On the two chest mounted PPCs, I attempted to give them a "just fired, hot metal" look. Similar to the PPCs of the Warhammer in Piranha Games/Tinker & Smith's original Mechwarrior trailer.

Caz

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #14 on: 21 November 2011, 11:03:48 »
Very nice.
Star Captain John Malthus, Kappa Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon 
Star Captain Johannes Bekker, Delta Galaxy, Clan Ghost Bear 
Captain John Bailey, 1st Avalon Hussars, Federated Suns  
Tai-i Jiro Takahashi, 2nd Legion of Vega, Draconis Combine

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 21 November 2011, 14:00:17 »
I like the repose.  O0

MistWolf

• Master Sergeant
  • Have Gauss, Will Travel
« Reply #16 on: 21 November 2011, 14:22:13 »
That is quite possibly the best white paint job on a mini I have yet seen. Superb!
Obviously jumping into close proximity of a supernova is not going to be good for your warranty

"House Davion, soon after its inception, established itself as a force for freedom in the Inner Sphere. Again, though, this is a relative term. House Davion does not support the Communist, hippie, let’s-all-take-care-of-each-other kind of freedom. No. They have always worked more along the lines of the we-will-occasionally-need-to-invade-your-nation-because-you-don’t-strike-us-as-freedom-loving-enough kind of freedom. To their credit, House Davion leaders occasionally mention the concept of “freedom” as a positive thing, which puts them a ways ahead of peer, say, House Liao and House Kurita" -Battlerun- Best Ever

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 21 November 2011, 16:24:54 »
 [applause]

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: 21 November 2011, 18:37:43 »
That is quite possibly the best white paint job on a mini I have yet seen. Superb!

I am not, even by the most generous of definitions, considered a "Fast" painter... Each one takes about 2-4 weeks (assuming I have any time to work on them at all), although that includes reposing... This one I started October 23rd and finished it on November 20th... I was out of town for a week, but I've also put other stuff on the side to finish it.

I also tend to alternate between the 23rd and my own Mercenary unit, The Stormbringers... So what all this means is that I haven't completed much or the 23rd yet, but what I have, I've aimed for quality...

The Awesome would have been number "61", but considering that this one isn't staying with me, I thought I'd let the new owner figure out where they want it in the unit...

Caz

« Last Edit: 24 October 2016, 19:49:38 by Cazaril »

john blackwell

• Lieutenant
  • putting on a happy face
« Reply #19 on: 21 November 2011, 21:10:32 »
Your work is consistently fabulous, Cazaril.  I am very impressed with both the reposing as well as the beautiful paint work.  You should be thrilled with these units.  Don't apologize for the time it took.  It was well worth it.

JB
One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off
Pro pacis par vox excellens

Ronin Actual

• Warrant Officer
  • Bad Day?
« Reply #20 on: 21 November 2011, 22:55:45 »
By far one of the best paint jobs I have ever seen.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #21 on: 22 November 2011, 11:01:23 »
Holy cow that is some really clean, well-photographed white. What's the lining, ink/brush?
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

foxbat

• Tunnel Rat
  • Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • classicbattletech.fr
« Reply #22 on: 22 November 2011, 12:44:11 »
Impressive stuff, Cazaril. Your white is simply fabulous!  8)
Hanse Davion is my shepherd.
We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender! Winston Churchill, June 1940

MacPhail

• Recruit
« Reply #23 on: 22 November 2011, 14:14:55 »
I concur. That is the best panelling and white paint job I've ever seen. So beautiful, crisp and flawless. It's a joy to look at your work. I'd like to know your technique so I can improve my own painting.
Major Ian MacPhail, Alpha Battalion, BattleCorps Legion

HavocTheWarDog

• Captain
  • Lead or Follow, but get outa my way!
« Reply #24 on: 22 November 2011, 16:50:01 »
I am not, even by the most generous of definitions, considered a "Fast" painter... Each one takes about 2-4 weeks (assuming I have any time to work on them at all), although that includes reposing... This one I started October 23rd and finished it on November 20th... I was out of town for a week, but I've also put other stuff on the side to finish it.

I also tend to alternate between the 23rd and my own Mercenary unit, The Stormbringers... So what all this means is that I haven't completed much or the 23rd yet, but what I have, I've aimed for quality...

The Awesome would have been number "61", but considering that this one isn't staying with me, I thought I'd let the new owner figure out where they want it in the unit...

Caz

BEAUTIFUL!
"Veni Vidi Vici"

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: 22 November 2011, 19:22:16 »
I'd like to know your technique so I can improve my own painting.

Technique is simple to describe, a terror to do...

Undercoat is Reaper's Rainy Grey. I just slap that on (usually two coats), and try to make sure I get all the panel lines coated well... Then the primary coat is Reaper's Misty Grey. This coat is where I start to panel paint, and also requires two coats to make it look good... After that I work up 2:1, 1:1, 1:2 and finally straight Reaper's Pure White.

So I guess 5 progressions, 6 if you count the undercoat.

What I learned from the original Griffin was to make the size of the grey area smaller, and use more white - where I had used it as a highlight color previously.

I prefer 20/0 or 18/0 spotters, but have gone as large as 5/0 (I'm the guy you see in the store, pulling the little protectors off the tips, and staring at the paint brushes... "Nope, this one has one or two strands out of place" <as I put it back>). The coat of straight Misty Grey usually takes 2-3 hours (assuming 1 coat) and is enough to make you want to gouge out your own eyes... But each progressive shade gets easier (mentally too)...

As for dry-brushing and washes... Don't normally use them... Maybe on the silver of the heat sinks... A little on the gun barrels.. But that is it for dry-brushing... And I seldomly ever do a wash.

That's pretty much it... It's slow.. It's time consuming.. It has it's limitations (scaled armor is an issue)... But I like the results.

Caz

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 22 November 2011, 19:28:28 »
I prefer 20/0 or 18/0 spotters, but have gone as large as 5/0 (I'm the guy you see in the store, pulling the little protectors off the tips, and staring at the paint brushes... "Nope, this one has one or two strands out of place" <as I put it back>). The coat of straight Misty Grey usually takes 2-3 hours (assuming 1 coat) and is enough to make you want to gouge out your own eyes... But each progressive shade gets easier (mentally too)...

Have you considered going for really really high quality brushes? I used to buy the same size ones but they'd wear really fast. I bought a larger (1, 0, maybe 000?) of the W&N series 7 and found that it was really the tip that was key, not the size of the brush. Sharp tip + large main brush for loading paint + hard-wearing kolinsky bristles = pleasant painting experience. Also I paid $13 for those brushes, have had them for over 2 years and I'm *still* using them. Old ones? Gone in 2 months.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: 22 November 2011, 23:14:54 »
Have you considered going for really really high quality brushes?

I've usually bought what I can find locally, and never came across a brand that I would consider to necessarily be higher quality... And never really thought to ask.. If the W&Ns hold up really well, then it might be worth it to invest in a few (found 000 for just under $8 at Cheap Joe's Art Stuff), considering that it is not uncommon to burn through two or three $3-$5 brushes, for just 1 mini..

Thanks for the suggestion

Caz

pagan

• Sergeant
  • Grizzly 2
« Reply #28 on: 23 November 2011, 09:03:03 »
Really nice work.

You can either run with the Ghost Bears or die running from us....... your choice.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #29 on: 23 November 2011, 10:12:58 »
I've usually bought what I can find locally, and never came across a brand that I would consider to necessarily be higher quality... And never really thought to ask.. If the W&Ns hold up really well, then it might be worth it to invest in a few (found 000 for just under $8 at Cheap Joe's Art Stuff), considering that it is not uncommon to burn through two or three $3-$5 brushes, for just 1 mini..

It's the series 7 brushes I recommend. Or anything that says "kolinsky sable" on it, no synthetic stuff, and sharp tip.