Author Topic: Strike Force: New RPG system!  (Read 33237 times)

Kell

• Corporal
Strike Force: New RPG system!
« on: 09 February 2011, 11:16:21 »
Hey guys, it's Kellhound01 back with a new version of Strike Force. If you are new to Strike Force, it is a homemade role playing pilot system that I have been testing and trying to perfect for the past year and a half. It involves creating pilots, using a very easy point system that allows you to customize each pilot with abilities and skills.

Strike Force Version 2.0 includes a new Ability Tree system, Lowered Skill costs, New Abilities and alterations to some old ones. Also Random Pilot Roll tables for Class, Skills and Abilities. New rules and variations of game play are also included.

If you haven't checked out Strike Force yet I urge you to, it adds a great new flare to Battleforce or Quickstrike.

Would love to hear back on what you all think of the Strike Force System.

Strike Force Handbook:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9027821/Strike%20Force%20Handbook%20V%202.0.pdf
Attached are the various Card Templates used in Strike Force.

« Last Edit: 05 October 2011, 07:40:13 by Kell »

Kell

• Corporal
Re: Strike Force: New RPG system!
« Reply #1 on: 09 February 2011, 12:45:51 »
Here are some units from around the Sphere that I have put together using mech's that will be included in the new Battletech Introductory Box Set, for easy and quick action. Enjoy:)

1st Davion Guards ( Federated Suns)
http://www.wolfsdragoons.com/downloads/Media/bfrpg/1st%20Davion%20Guards.pdf

Knights of the Inner Sphere ( Free Worlds League)
http://www.wolfsdragoons.com/downloads/Media/bfrpg/Knights%20of%20the%20Inner%20Sphere.pdf

2nd Sword of Light ( Draconis Combine)
http://www.wolfsdragoons.com/downloads/Media/bfrpg/2nd%20Sword%20of%20Light.pdf

Death Commandos ( Capellan Confederation)
http://www.wolfsdragoons.com/downloads/Media/bfrpg/Capellan%20Death%20Commandos.pdf

10th Lyran Guards ( Lyran Commonwealth)
http://www.wolfsdragoons.com/downloads/Media/bfrpg/10th%20Lyran%20Guards.pdf

Below are Battleforce and Quickstrike Templates in Microsoft Word format.
« Last Edit: 04 March 2011, 17:43:28 by Kell »

Drufause

• Master Sergeant
  • We were never here.
« Reply #2 on: 09 February 2011, 13:10:06 »
Nice i want to find someone to try this out with.
Combat Command Counters Thread
http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=191.0
quote by OgreBattle on 09/08/2011
"Knowledge and social skills usually use separate attributes, and often when you're good at one you take the other as your dump stat."

Gunbunnie

• Sergeant
  • My first mech was a...
« Reply #3 on: 09 February 2011, 21:41:07 »
I am looking forward to trying this out.

Daryl
"Artillerymen believe the world consist of two types of people; other Artillerymen and targets."
- Unknown

Medron Pryde

• Captain
  • Life's a beach, enjoy the sand between your toes
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #4 on: 11 February 2011, 04:58:39 »
How do you add pilot pictures to the cards?  :)
Col Medron Pryde - DropShip Irregulars - Phoenix Hawk LAM - A Proud Browncoat

RSM Regstav Pryde - Battle Corps Legion - BattleMaster BLR-K4
Angel Strike - They thought they'd killed us.  They were wrong.  We struck back...
Pryde Rock Industries - Your Source for awesome BattleTech programs
My Deviant Art Page
Jack of Harts - updated daily
Strike Force - a fanmade RPG supplement for Alpha Strike

Kell

• Corporal
« Reply #5 on: 11 February 2011, 23:10:55 »
On one of the last pages of the handbook it explains how to add pictures and text to the Open Office templates of the battleforce and Quickstrike card templates.

But if you want to add a picture to the templates, copy your picture, paste it onto the open office card template, then right click on the picture and under the WRAP tab select THROUGH and check the box named IN THE BACKGROUND. then simply resize your picture to fit within the space allocated for the pilot picture and there you go.

Again check the end of the handbook and it should all be there.

Gunbunnie

• Sergeant
  • My first mech was a...
« Reply #6 on: 12 February 2011, 15:02:33 »
Can you use the templates in any Word/Office programs?

Daryl
"Artillerymen believe the world consist of two types of people; other Artillerymen and targets."
- Unknown

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #7 on: 13 February 2011, 08:55:04 »
Nice little Fanbook here Kell, who did all the work?

Kell

• Corporal
« Reply #8 on: 13 February 2011, 16:55:03 »
On the Microsoft Word question, it does work, I just have to create the templates which I will do soon.

and as for the handbook, I got some of the ability ideas from various other sources that I had listed in version 1 but forgot in version 2. Scrapyard Armory's Mechwarrior Quirks, and Time of War's list of pilot abilities helped in crafting some of the individual and command abilities I have in the handbook. But for the most part all of Strike Force's rules, abilities, cards and other templates are made by me and tested for about a year with my local Battletech group.

Gunbunnie

• Sergeant
  • My first mech was a...
« Reply #9 on: 13 February 2011, 18:54:46 »
Thanks,  O0

Daryl
- Unknown

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 15 February 2011, 00:15:39 »
OK, this is perfect. And awesome. thanks muchly yet again. Every time I waffle between sticking with Battletech proper and switching to Strikeforce fully, someone comes up with ANOTHER reason to switch to strike force.

Kell

• Corporal
« Reply #11 on: 15 February 2011, 22:13:57 »
New updates have been added to my original two posts, Quickstrike Card Template for Open Office has been fixed, and I have also added Microsoft Word formatted card templates for Battleforce and Quickstrike.

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 16 February 2011, 01:16:59 »
There's just one thing I want to add: Did you ask permission to use those pictures from Deviantart? Because if not, they would get... angry. And you probably wouldn't like a horde of Deviantartlets enraged.

I would recommend, at the least, asking their permission and if receiving it including the artist's credits.

Medron Pryde

• Captain
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #13 on: 16 February 2011, 03:06:51 »
This (perhaps older file) that Kell made is the right size to work with standard trading card sized...well...cards.  ;)

Like my cards or the cards that Catalyst is putting out.

The ones linked above are too tall to work with a standard trading card sized...um...card.  :)

Angel Strike - They thought they'd killed us.  They were wrong.  We struck back...
My Deviant Art Page

Kell

• Corporal
« Reply #14 on: 16 February 2011, 08:54:42 »
I have been trying to go back and find out where I did get the pictures from and email those from deviant art to get permission. Some of these pictures I got a year ago so I am having difficulty tracing the search path I had for them and trying to find the artist. The artwork in the Handbook I am specifically trying to track down because I think it really looks nice and I would like to keep it that way.

By the way has anyone come up with any interesting Faction Abilities? I am still scratching my head.

Gunbunnie

• Sergeant
  • My first mech was a...
« Reply #15 on: 16 February 2011, 20:51:09 »
To be honest things kinda got put on hold this week and next week is looking busy as well because of school.  :'(   I hope to get back to plotting the campaign I am wanting to run soon.   ;D

Daryl
- Unknown

Kell

• Corporal
« Reply #16 on: 19 February 2011, 12:18:45 »
Federated Suns Faction Ability: Luck of the Fox - Once your oposition's force has been reduced to 50% or less, roll 3D6, instead of 2D6, for you Initiatvie roll. (Officer Bonus still apply)

Not sure if this is as good as Dragon's Fury but its all I can come up with for right now.

Kell

• Corporal
« Reply #17 on: 24 February 2011, 13:10:13 »
Added a few rule changes after some uprising from my testing group.

* From now on Pilots receive 10 pts for participating in the battle and 5 pts for surviving with their mech intact. ( didn't seem fair that a Cyclops that completely hammers the crap out of everything that got within medium range and then finally goes down would only get 2 pts for contributing so much to the battle.) Now there is more of an incentive to survive the battle and other pilots don't get penalized for piloting slow and easy to hit mechs. In turn I updated the Pilot Aftermath Card that is down loadable on the first thread and on this post to reflect the rule change.

Oh and by the way, my fellow game tester's Warhammer pilot had 48 points saved up and needed 2 more points to purchase a level 4 ability, when my lucky @$$ scores a head shot then rolls another 12. Needless to say he is going to have to play a few more games to get to 50 cuz i brought him down to 0!! It was very fun since his Warhammer has the Commander ability and kicks my butt all the time.
« Last Edit: 24 February 2011, 14:02:39 by Kell »

Lycanthropos

« Reply #18 on: 04 March 2011, 06:33:37 »
Really Cool Stuff
 :D
I like it very much!!

Kell

• Corporal
« Reply #19 on: 04 March 2011, 17:49:17 »
I have created various units from all major Houses of the Inner Sphere. All the mech's used are the same miniatures that will be included with the purchase of the new and long awaited Introductory Box Set ( it's about time...  24 mechs for 50 bucks YAY!)

Anyway, all the units are generally the same points values and all pilots have at least one Individual Ability, Three pilots have Command Abilities, and each have various skill ratings. Hope you enjoy the Strike Force system, grab a friend and duke it out with these pre-made units, I guarantee you will love it.

1st Davion Guards ( Federated Suns)
http://www.wolfsdragoons.com/downloads/Media/bfrpg/1st%20Davion%20Guards.pdf

Knights of the Inner Sphere ( Free Worlds League)
http://www.wolfsdragoons.com/downloads/Media/bfrpg/Knights%20of%20the%20Inner%20Sphere.pdf

2nd Sword of Light ( Draconis Combine)
http://www.wolfsdragoons.com/downloads/Media/bfrpg/2nd%20Sword%20of%20Light.pdf

Death Commandos ( Capellan Confederation)
http://www.wolfsdragoons.com/downloads/Media/bfrpg/Capellan%20Death%20Commandos.pdf

10th Lyran Guards ( Lyran Commonwealth)
http://www.wolfsdragoons.com/downloads/Media/bfrpg/10th%20Lyran%20Guards.pdf

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 06 March 2011, 03:52:05 »
here are 8 generic pilot images I culled from various Battletech books and TCG images for use as 'generic' pilots. They're all sized to fit into the original cards you put up at 100 pixels width - some of them don't reach all the way to the top, though. Still, they actually look pretty good on the cards i've done thus far.

Medron Pryde

• Captain
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #21 on: 07 March 2011, 04:57:35 »
I've been trying to work with the files that Kell made for doing pilots, but have been running into issues.

I finally did a hard and fast test to give them one final shot and they failed.  Maybe that was because I was downloading several gigs of data off the internet while running a virus scan while surfing the net while editing pictures in PSP while using OpenOffice.  The java base that powers OpenOffice just takes too many resources, especially when I'm doing graphics editing at the same time.  OpenOffice simply does not work as a program to have open while doing heavy editing of anything.  It is too much of a memory hog.

So I finally broke down, hit copy and pasted Kell's pilot cards into PSP so I could save them as a picture and work with them there.  While in PSP, I realized that the cards were still not fully in the same aspect ratio as mine, so I had to do some tweaks to make them work.  I finally just decided to place them inside the existing template I have so they would have the same look as the BattleForce record sheets.

The innards are Kells, I just rearranged them.  They are still in concept stage and open to be changed.  Please take a look at them and tell me what you think about them.  :)

My Deviant Art Page

Lycanthropos

« Reply #22 on: 08 March 2011, 05:13:11 »
They look great to me  :D

Medron Pryde

• Captain
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #23 on: 08 March 2011, 22:11:07 »
Cool, I'm most of the way done porting the MechWarrior Dark Age pilot images onto the cards.  When done, I will upload the files for people to use if they want to.  :)

My Deviant Art Page

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: 08 March 2011, 23:51:56 »
That'd be nice.

Hey, has anyone thought of using these for regular Battletech games? How would that work out, d'you think? Seems as though one could clip a single card to a new-style sheet over the middle, centered on the 'Mech image, and it would fit nicely.

Medron Pryde

• Captain
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #25 on: 09 March 2011, 02:55:36 »
Yeah, something like that just might work.  :)

I haven't tried it as I don't use the Total War style sheets but I can see what you are thinking.  I do intend to see if I can use these for that though.  ;)  And even though these are designed for Strike Force, I can easily see them being used for BattleTech as well.  :)

BTW, here is a sample of what I've done with the pictures from all of the MechWarrior Dark Age pilot cards.  I'm going to upload these to my site once it starts working right.  It just started acted up tonight so I'm gonna see if it gets things figured out and then upload the whole 12 meg file that has (I think) all of the Dark Age pilots.  They look good.  Good art and such.  Good enough that I'm happy to use them for the game.  :)

I have a 170 some of these right now.  NEXT I want to do some of the pics from the CCG.  ;)
« Last Edit: 09 March 2011, 02:57:14 by Medron Pryde »

My Deviant Art Page

Medron Pryde

• Captain
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #26 on: 09 March 2011, 05:03:45 »
My site is working again...I can upload...oh yeah...:)

http://www.pryderockindustries.com/dl_game_aids.php#BFC

Right at the top of that area is the option to download the Dark Age Pilots Pack.  I hope someone can use them.  hehehe.

My Deviant Art Page

Kell

• Corporal
« Reply #27 on: 09 March 2011, 21:47:42 »
So when your guys use the Pilot card only do you flip back and forth from Pilot card to Mech card or have them side by side?

And also I just realized that the rules state that Dodge ( a level 5 Ability) says that on a roll of 7+ you can ignore all damage from one source. That is way too good of an ability to have at Level 5 , it was supposed to be stated as on a roll of 7+ you ignore half the damage from one source rounded down.

Also we have been noticing that the Strategic Operations Skill Point Modifier Table is completely off. There is no way that someone piloting a Phoenix Hawk that is around 13 points would be bumped up to 24 points just because they have a Skill of 2. Right now we are testing out a new way to add Skill value to your Mechs Battle Value:
Skill    Points
6          -4
5          -2
4          +0
3          +2
2          +4
1          +8

What do you guys think?

Medron Pryde

• Captain
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #28 on: 09 March 2011, 23:06:01 »
I haven't actually used the pilot cards yet as it hasn't been until now that I've had any to work with.  ;)

I intend to print some up this Friday and test them out.

My initial thought is to have them in the plastic sleeve with the unit they pilot, most likely back to back so one just needs to flip the unit around to see its pilot.

That should work both with my cards and the cards that Catalyst sells I would think.  :)

My Deviant Art Page

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #29 on: 10 March 2011, 08:55:59 »
So when your guys use the Pilot card only do you flip back and forth from Pilot card to Mech card or have them side by side?

And also I just realized that the rules state that Dodge ( a level 5 Ability) says that on a roll of 7+ you can ignore all damage from one source. That is way too good of an ability to have at Level 5 , it was supposed to be stated as on a roll of 7+ you ignore half the damage from one source rounded down.

Also we have been noticing that the Strategic Operations Skill Point Modifier Table is completely off. There is no way that someone piloting a Phoenix Hawk that is around 13 points would be bumped up to 24 points just because they have a Skill of 2. Right now we are testing out a new way to add Skill value to your Mechs Battle Value:
Skill    Points
6          -4
5          -2
4          +0
3          +2
2          +4
1          +8

What do you guys think?

A flat value regardless of the unit's value?  There's a huge difference between an elite warship and an elite infantry platoon (just to make the difference obvious, but it's still huge even comparing an urbanmech to an atlas, much less a Daishi). 
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets