Author Topic: New player and GM ask questions  (Read 3107 times)

DiamonDKZ

• Recruit
New player and GM ask questions
« on: 25 July 2022, 06:21:38 »
Have a nice day everyone, I came here to ask questions and many questions, I hope I can find some help here in understanding and maybe some advice.

The first question and a very important one, can anyone share what to do with the range of weapons? You see, I play on the roll20 platform online and do not have a good PC, not to mention that making cards of the right size is too hard and dreary work for tactical battles, I would like to know who got into this and how to solve it.

Second. Why is the generation of Clans characters done so clumsily? I dug a little and generally found how to improve the situation, but my God, what a hemorrhoid to make something more interesting out of a character than a fool with zero Intelligence, Charisma and Edge, not to mention making someone truly charismatic (mad waste of experience for stats, yes). I understand that the society of the Clans is very narrow and hierarchical, but to be honest, it's strange. A friend of mine even said that these rules were created only to create a clanner who will become a bondman for spheroids and the system as a whole is not set up to let us play as Clans.
Speaking of which, can you refresh my memory, Bears and Sharks can have freeborn fight for the Blood Names?

Third, in my company as a whole I'm used to quite active conflicts and I already intend to use a lot of Heroic Rules from the Companion to speed up the pace, but you can share your experience on how best to speed up the leveling so as not to break everything and prevent the characters from accelerating faster than do I want it?

Fourth. I know perfectly well about the BAR table for the transfer of Combat Armor, but I didn’t quite understand what it is considered from, from table armor? So Elemental Armor let's say it's 10/9/9/8 since there's 10 tactical armor and it turns into that profile? I'm just trying to transfer other types of Battle Armor, in particular the Nighthawk, and I'm not sure how it will work.

Five. I really like random event in 3 edition, but i don't sure how to transfer it in points of XP, someone manage it?

That's all for now, but I'll probably ask again from time to time.
« Last Edit: 25 July 2022, 09:14:06 by DiamonDKZ »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: New player and GM ask questions
« Reply #1 on: 25 July 2022, 18:11:57 »
I don't understand your first question... can you rephrase it?

As far as your second, I'm no clan fan, but I haven't found the problem you're outlining.  Clanners don't need to own their 'mechs, so points don't need to be spent on that.  I don't know about the fluff angle on specific clans.

Speed of XP gain is entirely within the GM's control.  That includes downtime XP gains.  I'm not really seeing a problem here.

The conversion between personal BAR armor and Tactical Armor is covred in the Companion, but BA/PA(L) armor is an exception.  You'll find the conversion for the Nighthawk in the same table with the Elemental.

As for your last question, I recommend Victor_Shaw's threads on his MW2E conversion rules.  He's working out how to make the random event rolls work for that.

And welcome to the board!  :thumbsup:

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 26 July 2022, 00:22:28 »
The easiest way to get the tables in AToW would be to take the existing ones  from 3rd figure out their point totals and  adjust  accordingly.

DiamonDKZ

• Recruit
« Reply #3 on: 26 July 2022, 03:19:16 »
The easiest way to get the tables in AToW would be to take the existing ones  from 3rd figure out their point totals and  adjust  accordingly.
I'm trying to understand, I'm satisfied with the modules from ATOW edition, I just would like to return random events and I'm not sure, let's say, how much experience will be given to the skill if "Rifles +5" falls out. This is obvious, in the usual Small Arms, maybe with a bonus for specialization, but how much? 50 experience?
By the way, I read the rules of specialization and did not quite understand, is it just a narrative tool to give bonuses situationally?

DiamonDKZ

• Recruit
« Reply #4 on: 26 July 2022, 03:42:03 »
I don't understand your first question... can you rephrase it?

As far as your second, I'm no clan fan, but I haven't found the problem you're outlining.  Clanners don't need to own their 'mechs, so points don't need to be spent on that.  I don't know about the fluff angle on specific clans.

Speed of XP gain is entirely within the GM's control.  That includes downtime XP gains.  I'm not really seeing a problem here.

The conversion between personal BAR armor and Tactical Armor is covred in the Companion, but BA/PA(L) armor is an exception.  You'll find the conversion for the Nighthawk in the same table with the Elemental.

As for your last question, I recommend Victor_Shaw's threads on his MW2E conversion rules.  He's working out how to make the random event rolls work for that.

And welcome to the board!  :thumbsup:

Thanks.
I have to apologize, I do not good with english for independent speech, I have to rely on an translator and this is not ideal.
The first question is the most critical in fact, you know perfectly well the firing range in this system. Problem - I play online where the table size is limited by the settings and all this will have to be adjusted manually, I usually used a 50x50 table and it was quite a big arena for say, DND, Pathfinder and the World of Darkness, but here we are and I have no idea how much it should be a giant map to use AT LEAST medium range for rifles, pistols work well in 50x50, find a suitable map on the Internet, so it's not an easy job, especially if you don't have money, and then you also have to figure out how to stabilize the size. The situation when the characters are conditionally sitting at the table "for battlemechs" was already the size, not much of a problem, but it delivers trouble sometimes.
In general, yes, can you advise something with the sizes? Even at 50x50 you can get confused and making more of them will be just crazy. It can be bigger but orientation on it hard even on 50x50

Second question.
Clans don't own their mech, yes.
But this does not negate the fact that they must be bought from experience, but this is the least of the evils.
What worries me is that Slow Learning is one of the strongest penalties in the system and it is generally mandatory to buy it, clans have slightly higher stat requirements for their fields and paths and as a result, there is rarely anything left for edge, charisma and intelligence. Freeborn suffer less, but here's the paradox, charisma is obviously needed for politics and roleplaying the leader, the problem is, Charisma is the most suffering characteristic for Clan Trueborn and Freeborn cannot participate in politics. I even got the feeling that if you want to create at least a little bit of a valid "future leader", you have to be a meme like Nikolai Malthus with -500 in Arrogance and other Clan penalties. I just got this impression, and it annoys me, especially in the future to make a Clan character for the company with the characters of the Inner Sphere.

I know that the control of experience hangs on the GM, I am interested in other people's methods, I am not a supporter of the invention of the bicycle and I prefer to turn first to someone else's experience.

The table for the whole BA is generic, I know, but I'm still not sure exactly how it works, the amount of armor in TV = BAR Armor for the BA table, right? The night hawk has 2, so its BAR is 4/5/6/5?

And thanks again, honestly, when I saw that another topic with a difference of only three hours was directly actively discussed, I was afraid that I would not even be able to discuss it all.
« Last Edit: 26 July 2022, 03:56:51 by DiamonDKZ »

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #5 on: 26 July 2022, 10:18:14 »
As far as weapons and table top space yes it can be a bit difficult to find a good balance.

The rules are written under the assumption that a hex grid will be used and each hex is to represent approximately 1 square meter.  As noted though that means having a big enough area, even virtually, to handle the ranges these weapons can shoot at can be quite difficult.

The natural reaction is to instead declare that each hex is actually some larger number.  The main thing to watch for will be character movement and hand to hand combat if you do decide to do something like this.  If that is something you think will be minimal enough to not overly worry about then having each hex be 5 or even 10 meters should not leave too many edge cases where weapons might change range modifiers part way through a hex.

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 26 July 2022, 12:02:16 »
I'm trying to understand, I'm satisfied with the modules from ATOW edition, I just would like to return random events and I'm not sure, let's say, how much experience will be given to the skill if "Rifles +5" falls out. This is obvious, in the usual Small Arms, maybe with a bonus for specialization, but how much? 50 experience?
By the way, I read the rules of specialization and did not quite understand, is it just a narrative tool to give bonuses situationally?

So, trying to explain this in more detail.
What I was saying is, it is quite easy to convert the existing random events tables to AToW.
Just take the tables, figure out the costs for the skills/traits awarded, then consult the Random Life Event Table on pg. 77 of the AToW Companion and adjust for the new point totals.
1 level of Trait in AToW = 100 points
1 level of Attribute in AToW = 100 points
Skills can be a little tricky, but a good rule of thumb would be to just multiply the 3rd edition skill points by 10. It may not be prefect but it should get you a round about number.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #7 on: 26 July 2022, 17:36:54 »
I'm not seeing the problem with clan minimums.  At worst (for ASF pilots), they need two Attributes at 5.  That's only one more than average human.  Slow Learner is worth buying off, but only if you buy a lot of skills.

As for the BAR conversion, you have it exactly right for the Nighthawk.  :thumbsup:

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 26 July 2022, 22:09:03 »
There's an optional rule in the ATOW Companion that allows you to roll for each Stage after affiliation, with some minor modifiers.

Results range from -100 to +500 depending on the roll and the stage.

DiamonDKZ

• Recruit
« Reply #9 on: 19 August 2022, 05:05:00 »
New question.
It seems that I made a serious mistake, do I understand correctly that FIRST, all the bonuses given on the way are applied and only by the end the character must pass the Requirements? I just always spent a lot of experience on this all because it seemed logical to me, but after reading some of the materials I had doubts.

Do I understand correctly that age will also be applied as a result of this process and taken into account in the requirements?
« Last Edit: 19 August 2022, 05:53:38 by DiamonDKZ »

pokefan548

• Captain
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
« Reply #10 on: 19 August 2022, 06:09:06 »
New question.
It seems that I made a serious mistake, do I understand correctly that FIRST, all the bonuses given on the way are applied and only by the end the character must pass the Requirements? I just always spent a lot of experience on this all because it seemed logical to me, but after reading some of the materials I had doubts.

Do I understand correctly that age will also be applied as a result of this process and taken into account in the requirements?
Right. Your prerequisites need only be satisfied by the time the character is done and ready for play.
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth
Leviathans: The Great War Backer #224
BattleTech: Mercenaries Backer #23

DiamonDKZ

• Recruit
« Reply #11 on: 24 August 2022, 08:03:58 »
How does Bloodname work with the Freeborn? Do they get the right to carry a "Clan name" like Minoru who got the name Nova Cat, or can I just return the experience to the player?
A few skills seem very redundant to me, three skills for a conditional "trickster" or two skills for a throw, I won't break anything if I combine them or, say, let me throw one skill at a time with a focus, but with a penalty like under the rules of Specialization?
I was also thinking about cutting the hell out of Fast and Slow Learning, but they come across in some ways, what should I do?
In general, are there any tips or strong bugs that I should look forward to?

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #12 on: 08 September 2022, 07:36:28 »
Usually the Clan name as a surname, such as Nova Cat or Wolf or Bear, means they don't have a bloodname so it is very typical for recent adoptees from Trials or bondsmen that are uplifted to Warrior status to have that kind of last name.

As far as raw points, really I'd say dump the XP of a Bloodname into Rank for Freeborns to represent that sure they don't have the pedigree, but somehow they got some advancement due to their skills in the Clans.

Freeborns just exist, unless they pulled off a Phelan Ward moment where not only does he do magnificent stuff but his family genetics reveal a multiple cousin many removed from a Bloodname* Founder in the Clans. Those are a Freeborns two options in the Clans, mostly.

Personally I don't see a problem with Slow and Fast Learner, if anything the latter helps explain stuff like ristars in the Clans, but your table will vary.

*Note: Yes I know Phelan's mother, Salome, was a descendant of a Ward who was Kerenksy's confidant and thus it's more a direct lineage. Still I wanted to comment on how just ridiculously well researched and tracked lineages in the Clan are. Your family could have a "father's brother'snephew's cousin's former roommate" moment with someone that founded a Clan and they'd probably still think "Looks legit we can use this" You just might sit at the weak end of the Blood Chapel table during the family reunions
« Last Edit: 08 September 2022, 07:47:27 by Atlas3060 »
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

DiamonDKZ

• Recruit
« Reply #13 on: 14 October 2022, 06:55:24 »
I'm still here, thanks everyone for the replies again, helps me, get ready for my games and continue to enjoy BT.

Actually, a new question from the complex format.

I understand why, but is there still any information on the availability of pilot ability analogs for the pilots themselves, not for their machines? Well, like Blood Stalker or others? Of course, there are Hot Shot that are only for mechs, but still, for example to hit twice per turn in close combat would be nice.

Does anyone have any experience with the Battle Armor Critical Hitting rules? From his description, I got the feeling it was more of a "how to make combat armor completely useless" thing, especially a critical hit on a reactor from the back that does lethal damage to everyone except characters with the third Heroic level rules.

Again about random events, what would you recommend using from the third edition for them if using the new "Family Training" path in the third stage?

Also I've been analyzing the "career" skill a bit, given how it works I'm still kind of stumped, I understand correctly that in general this is a weakened version of all the skills in this branch that gm can apply mostly narratively and as a replacement for something the player doesn't have.
For example, Running for mechwarriors, it would seem they should have it because of basic military training, but they don't and I say apply it as a "well, at least you have a +1 modifier" if there's, say. Career +3 or 4? Just the depth of the "narrative" for me is always a problem and such skills cause me cognitive dissonance, if the meaning of the Protocol I still understand, then there is already some confusion.

And a little question about languages, is there any gradation of speech level? The question is purely for the sake of interest, because sometimes I meet the mention of how the same Clans are very much paying attention to how "clean" English. How much is it, say, 2 or 4? Or in general it is not so important and even 2 is quite normal? I'm not asking for a "grading of speech level according to the international language system", just "by ear" so I can calibrate the lines of the characters and what the ear is clinging to.

I understand that this is about modern fights with firearms, but am I right to understand that in general playing from melee is very difficult? As I understand it, even getting out of melee is not difficult, no "attack of opportunity", right?
« Last Edit: 14 October 2022, 08:22:41 by DiamonDKZ »

DiamonDKZ

• Recruit
« Reply #14 on: 14 October 2022, 06:56:10 »
Usually the Clan name as a surname, such as Nova Cat or Wolf or Bear, means they don't have a bloodname so it is very typical for recent adoptees from Trials or bondsmen that are uplifted to Warrior status to have that kind of last name.

As far as raw points, really I'd say dump the XP of a Bloodname into Rank for Freeborns to represent that sure they don't have the pedigree, but somehow they got some advancement due to their skills in the Clans.

Freeborns just exist, unless they pulled off a Phelan Ward moment where not only does he do magnificent stuff but his family genetics reveal a multiple cousin many removed from a Bloodname* Founder in the Clans. Those are a Freeborns two options in the Clans, mostly.

Personally I don't see a problem with Slow and Fast Learner, if anything the latter helps explain stuff like ristars in the Clans, but your table will vary.

*Note: Yes I know Phelan's mother, Salome, was a descendant of a Ward who was Kerenksy's confidant and thus it's more a direct lineage. Still I wanted to comment on how just ridiculously well researched and tracked lineages in the Clan are. Your family could have a "father's brother'snephew's cousin's former roommate" moment with someone that founded a Clan and they'd probably still think "Looks legit we can use this" You just might sit at the weak end of the Blood Chapel table during the family reunions

Many thanks.

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #15 on: 15 October 2022, 11:27:19 »
I understand why, but is there still any information on the availability of pilot ability analogs for the pilots themselves, not for their machines? Well, like Blood Stalker or others? Of course, there are Hot Shot that are only for mechs, but still, for example to hit twice per turn in close combat would be nice.
If you are asking how rare certain Special Piloting Abilities are, I don't think there's any indicator of that. Sure you can make some inferences based on the requirements but it's all guessing from you at that point.

Again about random events, what would you recommend using from the third edition for them if using the new "Family Training" path in the third stage?
This one will get multiple recommendations based on how you want to play it.
The description for Family Training boils down to "just rich enough to get out of actual military training, but not equipped enough to rival said big military academies".

Now my ideas all depend on what books you have.
The basic boring option is Military Academy, just use the events and descriptions from there and add in a cousin or sibling if there's mentions of rivals.

For a more harsh, let's say Periphery, kind of family? Freeborn Sibko. Sure your family is "Periphery Rich" but that doesn't save you from the fact you're stepping into a dangerous world.

If you're going to play out a family with a big corporate or social warrior vibe, Solaris Stable Internship from the 3rd edition Solaris book. It just feels right knowing one of the random events is embezzlement. Maybe your character wasn't destined to protect the home world after all.

For a more "military" focused Family Training, take a look at Warrior House Aspirant events from the Companion book for 3rd edition. There's still some political elements, but change out "The Death Commandos want you" to insert some other veteran House unit and honestly a lot of the event descriptions just work well.

Note I'm not saying anything about the actual skills you get in these, just descriptions for inspiration.

Also I've been analyzing the "career" skill a bit,
Career is strange and yet very useful for the overall "slice of life" within a job.
The best analogy I could find was in the latest episodes of Andor where Rebels were impersonating troopers to sneak into a facility under the Empire's nose. The hard nosed vet of the group would ride their butts about tightening formation, guns to this position, eyes forward, march like this, okay march now double time, keep with pace, etc.
All those minor things that showed this guy trained and was trained into that kind of life.
Yet even as vague as it is, i think it's also used in some rules to help bonus roll for pay? Which sort of makes sense, I like to think of it as how well someone works at their job, so they might get a better pay level compared to the standard person at their job.

And a little question about languages, is there any gradation of speech level?
Level 0 is you able to understand how to speak something but with a local accent.
Level 1 is similar to 0 but you have basic reading comprehension.
According to the book:
At Level 2, the character
attains enough ability in the language that he can be understood by
another character who has only recently learned the words himself
(effectively eradicating the worst of his accent),

I find this funny because go look up some online videos of people making Bostonites try to say some words specifically.  ;D

Level 3 is just fluent and 4 is so good you're able to write books about the language and probably be that snooty person who goes "Well actually it's pronounced..." at parties. A neat thing about the Illiterate trait is how if you have a certain amount of points in Language, then Illiterate goes away.

I understand that this is about modern fights with firearms, but am I right to understand that in general playing from melee is very difficult? As I understand it, even getting out of melee is not difficult, no "attack of opportunity", right?
Melee does require a lot more attention compared to ranged fighting but it's doable when you got the steps down.
Attacker and Defender both roll, it's just basically who got the bigger MoS. From there the result and the STR of the character will influence damage.
I do enjoy the idea because it is the one time the defender could be so good they might deal more smack down on the person trying to stab them. The only "disengage" I can find is if you're grappled, so if you managed to defend yourself in a melee and on your turn you want to get the hell out, I don't think there are Opportunity attacks
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

DiamonDKZ

• Recruit
« Reply #16 on: 28 October 2022, 18:14:21 »
If you are asking how rare certain Special Piloting Abilities are, I don't think there's any indicator of that. Sure you can make some inferences based on the requirements but it's all guessing from you at that point.
This one will get multiple recommendations based on how you want to play it.
The description for Family Training boils down to "just rich enough to get out of actual military training, but not equipped enough to rival said big military academies".

Now my ideas all depend on what books you have.
The basic boring option is Military Academy, just use the events and descriptions from there and add in a cousin or sibling if there's mentions of rivals.

For a more harsh, let's say Periphery, kind of family? Freeborn Sibko. Sure your family is "Periphery Rich" but that doesn't save you from the fact you're stepping into a dangerous world.

If you're going to play out a family with a big corporate or social warrior vibe, Solaris Stable Internship from the 3rd edition Solaris book. It just feels right knowing one of the random events is embezzlement. Maybe your character wasn't destined to protect the home world after all.

For a more "military" focused Family Training, take a look at Warrior House Aspirant events from the Companion book for 3rd edition. There's still some political elements, but change out "The Death Commandos want you" to insert some other veteran House unit and honestly a lot of the event descriptions just work well.

Note I'm not saying anything about the actual skills you get in these, just descriptions for inspiration.
Career is strange and yet very useful for the overall "slice of life" within a job.
The best analogy I could find was in the latest episodes of Andor where Rebels were impersonating troopers to sneak into a facility under the Empire's nose. The hard nosed vet of the group would ride their butts about tightening formation, guns to this position, eyes forward, march like this, okay march now double time, keep with pace, etc.
All those minor things that showed this guy trained and was trained into that kind of life.
Yet even as vague as it is, i think it's also used in some rules to help bonus roll for pay? Which sort of makes sense, I like to think of it as how well someone works at their job, so they might get a better pay level compared to the standard person at their job.

Level 0 is you able to understand how to speak something but with a local accent.
Level 1 is similar to 0 but you have basic reading comprehension.
According to the book:
At Level 2, the character
attains enough ability in the language that he can be understood by
another character who has only recently learned the words himself
(effectively eradicating the worst of his accent),

I find this funny because go look up some online videos of people making Bostonites try to say some words specifically.  ;D

Level 3 is just fluent and 4 is so good you're able to write books about the language and probably be that snooty person who goes "Well actually it's pronounced..." at parties. A neat thing about the Illiterate trait is how if you have a certain amount of points in Language, then Illiterate goes away.
Melee does require a lot more attention compared to ranged fighting but it's doable when you got the steps down.
Attacker and Defender both roll, it's just basically who got the bigger MoS. From there the result and the STR of the character will influence damage.
I do enjoy the idea because it is the one time the defender could be so good they might deal more smack down on the person trying to stab them. The only "disengage" I can find is if you're grappled, so if you managed to defend yourself in a melee and on your turn you want to get the hell out, I don't think there are Opportunity attacks

1.No, I'm asking about character abilities like feats in dnd, like the melee master gives two attacks per action. Same for vibro katana in tactical combat.

2. Thanks for ideas

3. Yeah, its how we are use it, just wanna another opinon.

4. Thanks. Now i can make funny my players for language 1 and 2, yeah, sometimes its fun.

5. I understand how it works, i mean, melee builds and fight in modern o yoroi, you know? I think only in battle armor its valid, i mean, no rules for just out of you melee range. Just not so strong i feel.

Many thanks, sorry for so long answer.
« Last Edit: 30 October 2022, 17:10:15 by DiamonDKZ »

DiamonDKZ

• Recruit
« Reply #17 on: 28 October 2022, 18:18:56 »
In addition to the questions.
As a whole in the 4nrth edition of the mech combat is going on? Total Warfare is a bit heavy on the climb and I still not play enough, I can not optimize the process in speed.
Does anyone have any tips on how to speed it all up a bit? We like more elaborate combat than Narrative Destiny so we're not looking there.
« Last Edit: 30 October 2022, 17:09:08 by DiamonDKZ »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #18 on: 30 October 2022, 19:32:06 »
I might recommend the BattleMech Manual if Total Warfare is too much for you.  It's a fine introduction to the wider system, and frames it in a way that doesn't preclude going any direction you like.   :thumbsup:

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 02 January 2023, 23:50:44 »
In addition to the questions.
As a whole in the 4nrth edition of the mech combat is going on? Total Warfare is a bit heavy on the climb and I still not play enough, I can not optimize the process in speed.
Does anyone have any tips on how to speed it all up a bit? We like more elaborate combat than Narrative Destiny so we're not looking there.
if you are talking the tactical board game there are several ways to speed things up
fire declaration sticks basically popsicle sticks with weapon and range notes that you point at the target movement dice: walk, run and jump each in distinct colors where you put the modifier facing up ie your unit moved 4 so you put the 2 up
go over at least the front/rear hit location table and memorize or have someone read it as others do the rolling/ and damage recording (IE the person attacking rolls hits and locations, the person who's unit is taking damage marks the damage, and a third person (if available) calls the location (and possibly damage amounts) 10 to 4, IE right arm, 5 to ....

some people suggest a "box of doom" IE a clear/translucent box with a pair of dice in each of the compartments, and you shake and set the box, and have for example 1-20 slots and you use it to quickly get a set of die rolls for hits

Register