Author Topic: (Answered) Battleforce Clan Skills  (Read 3240 times)

dwinter

• Sergeant
(Answered) Battleforce Clan Skills
« on: 14 February 2012, 11:44:38 »
I`m putting a Battleforce trinary together for the 9th Raven Striker and I`m having no problem with organising the Stars but I`m getting stuck on the skills.

According to p19 of Field Report: Clans, the 9th Striker have an Elite experience rating.  According to the Aggregate Experience By Force table on p333 of Strategic Operations, with a more realistic grouping of pilots that gives me:  2 Regular, 6 Veteran and 7 Elite mechwarriors.

This is then where I come to a problem.

According to the Battleforce Skills rating on p238 of Strategic Operations, Regular is 4, Veteran is 3 and Elite is 2.  Do these rating apply to Clan Mechwarriors as well?

The reason I ask is; if I look at p354 of Strategic Operations and convert the skills ratings over from the Pilot / Gunnery Skills of Total Warfare, I get the following Battleforce skill ratings for the Clans:  Regular is 3, Veteran is 2 and Elite is 1.

Can you tell me which set of skill ratings is correct for the Clans?  I know traditionally the Clans have better skills for their mechwarriors or is this not taken into account in Battleforce games as using the Field Reports and the Aggregate Experience By Force table they should have better quality skills anyway?

Many thanks.
« Last Edit: 20 August 2012, 00:27:16 by Xotl »
Star Commander David Llywelyn, 9th Raven Striker Cluster "The Snow Hunters", 1st Nova, Alpha Galaxy

Lieutenant Robin Llywelyn, 2nd Mech Striker Company, 2nd Mech Regiment, 59th Jump Infantry Division, XXXVI Corp, Sixteenth Army

Welshman

• Mostly Retired Has Been
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Battleforce Clan Skills
« Reply #1 on: 21 February 2012, 16:03:30 »
The “traditionally the Clans have better skills for their mechwarriors” is reflected in the higher chance of being Elite/Heroic.  It does not make, in BattleForce, an Elite Clan Mechwarrior better than an Elite Inner Sphere Mechwarrior.

Total Warfare and then converting to BattleForce: Total Warfare defines a range (1-2 4/3, 3-4 3/2, 5-6 2/1) not a specific value to being Elite.  Clan Mechwarriors do get a +1 to each roll (piloting and gunnery), but that’s only a 50% chance of bumping up each.  The “odd” skill bump is lost in converting to BattleForce (3/2, 3/1 and 2/2 are all a total 4-5, which is a 2).

Directly generating BF skills: SO p321 generates an BattleForce skill level and gives a +1 to the roll, but that just increases the chance that a Clan Mechwarrior is Elite (2), or Heroic (1).  It doesn’t change the definition of Elite.  An Elite is always a 2. A Clan Mechwarrior is just more likely to be Elite (and/or Heroic) than an Inner Sphere Mechwarrior, but a Clan Elite Mechwarrior and an Inner Sphere Elite Mechwarrior are both a 2. 
-Joel BC-
Catalyst Freelancer (Inactive)

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

dwinter

• Sergeant
Re: Battleforce Clan Skills (Answered)
« Reply #2 on: 22 February 2012, 14:12:57 »
That`s what I thought the answer might be. 

Thanks for clearing that question up and also clarifying the Total Warfare part at the same time.
Star Commander David Llywelyn, 9th Raven Striker Cluster "The Snow Hunters", 1st Nova, Alpha Galaxy

Lieutenant Robin Llywelyn, 2nd Mech Striker Company, 2nd Mech Regiment, 59th Jump Infantry Division, XXXVI Corp, Sixteenth Army

Register