Author Topic: Quick Strike: Which pages do I really need to learn?  (Read 2226 times)

eilif

• Master Sergeant
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
Quick Strike: Which pages do I really need to learn?
« on: 26 March 2012, 09:46:51 »
I just purchased the PDF of StrtOps.  I purchased it just for the Quick Strike Rules which are very appealing to me as someone who loves the BT universe but hasn't the patience for the standard BT rules.

The beginning of the Quick Start section says that I need to be familiar with Battleforce rules and seems to suggest that I should know TW (which I own, but have little desire to learn right now)  I'd like to print off just the Battleforce pages I need just to play Quick Strike.  Additionally, I'm only really interested in rules pertaining to ground units.  I won't be using aerospace, naval, etc...

Which pages should I print?

Alternatively, I've already printed off the Battleforce Quick Start rules. Will they and Quick Strike be enough?

Thanks for any help you all can give.
« Last Edit: 26 March 2012, 09:58:14 by eilif »
Founding Member, Chicago Skimish Wargames:
http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/

George_Labour

• Master Sergeant
Re: Quick Strike: Which pages do I really need to learn?
« Reply #1 on: 26 March 2012, 22:37:17 »
Depending on how familiar you are with the various battleforce special abilities you should be fine with just the 9 pages for Quick Strike, the starter rules for BF, the to hit modifiers page for Quick Strike, and the index page which has the critical hit charts for BF. Once you get most of the rules into your memory then you'll really only need the to hit modifiers and critical hit charts.

If you're not overly familiar with the various special abilities for Battleforce such as Heat, the various weapon codes such as Indirect Fire, LRM, and Stealth then you might want to print out those pages as well.

Also read up on them, and some of the rules governing heat, transports, and the ways that non mech units differ from battlemechs.

Though to be honest I just went and picked up a hard copy so I'd have all the pages handy when I am playing. Not only does it let me quickly reference things that I'm not familiar with, but I can also show people the exact wording of the rules so that they also fully understand them.

eilif

• Master Sergeant
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #2 on: 27 March 2012, 10:02:50 »
Thanks!
     I've printed up those pages and will have them in a tabbed binder.  I'm more convinced than ever now that QS needs it's own book.  It looks like a great system for fast tabletop gaming, but having the rules in 3-4 different sections is just silly.
Founding Member, Chicago Skimish Wargames:
http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/

General308

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 07 April 2012, 19:15:06 »
I really wish they would print Quick Strike in it's own book away from the Battleforce rules.  It would make it easier to figure out how to play the darn thing.

sfsct

• Corporal
« Reply #4 on: 07 April 2012, 22:58:36 »
Are there any examples/ battle reports of play with Quick Strike online anywhere?  I think that would really be of benefit to some us trying to learn.
« Last Edit: 07 April 2012, 23:00:16 by sfsct »

sarcastro01

« Reply #5 on: 08 April 2012, 01:13:35 »
Check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R62U5pN9fkM

It was their first game and not everything was correct but the mistakes were small (the movement values they had are for map play or minis play, not walk run; it costs no mp to turn and you don't alternate fire, one side completes all firing then the other.)  It does give a good idea how the game flows though.

I played my first game last weekend in a similar assault lance vs assault lance scenario.  Finished in 40min and that included teaching two new players how to play and one or two breaks to look up minor things (crit tables and cc rules).  Can't wait for my first company on company fight.
« Last Edit: 08 April 2012, 01:17:27 by sarcastro01 »

sfsct

• Corporal
« Reply #6 on: 08 April 2012, 11:33:24 »
Please post a battle report of your company on company fight when you do one.  Thanks.