Author Topic: Vehicle of the Week: Chalchiuhtotolin  (Read 16664 times)

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
Vehicle of the Week: Chalchiuhtotolin
« on: 14 February 2011, 12:07:07 »
Vehicle of the Week: Chalchiuhtotolin Support Tank

The Chalchiuhtotolin Support Tank was one of the new offerings in TRO3085 Supplemental, designed and operated by Clan Jade Falcon.  Those of you looking at the name and boggling, it's pronounced "Chall-Chee-OoK-TOE-Toe-Lin" according to Wackrabbit and has been dubbed the Chalupa in the Inner Sphere and, judging from a few of their comments, possibly among CGL's own staff, but it's a name I can't quite bring myself to use.  Fortunately, copy/paste exists, so I don't have to keep typing "Chalchiuhtotolin" out by hand.  We've been informed by the guilty parties themselves that Jymset and Kit_deSummersville are behind the name, which kind of repays the English language for all the grand theft verbiage it's done over the years, though the artwork is very nice in my opinion, making up for the name.  Nonetheless, the reference is awesomely appropriate and more than worth it, as Chalchiuhtotolin literally means Jade Turkey, a name that people in and out of character have used to refer to the Jade Falcons for literally years, something the TRO quietly owns up to, one of two displays of big brass ones by the Falcon leadership in relation to this tank.  As with any Clan vehicle the name is also a mythological reference, in this case to an Aztec (yeah, the spelling probably tipped you off) god of disease and plague, things that follow wars as surely as the crows that feast on the dead, and possibly an aspect or alias of another god, Tezcatlipoca, associated with a ride range of concepts including the jaguar, enmity, discord, hurricanes, the north, and, of course, war.  The Chalchiuhtotolin was designed by the Eagle Craft Group, the same team that developed TRO3075's Jupiter assault 'Mech, in response to a perceived need for a short-range defensive tank to maintain order and face the challenge of urban combat on captured Lyran worlds.  Given that they're talking about combat with a faction whose best known urban combat unit is the brutally powerful Demolisher II, I can see why the Falcons were concerned, although frankly, the Demolisher C (or orbital bombardment) is a better answer to that monster.

Once the design was completed, the Falcons selected Quikscell of Pandora to handle production, the other decision I suggested required particular testicular fortitude on their part.  Go back and read the fluff for the Scorpion and Hetzer or certain tidbits in the Marik and Davion house books on the company if you're wondering why I'm kind of looking askance at the decision to allow "Quikscam" to build an advanced, fairly sophisticated combat vehicle, although I suppose the Falcons may have employed rather... Darwinian methods to ensure proper quality control on the Chalchiuhtotolin builds.  Spotted in the hands of Clan Wolf as well as the Falcons themselves, the electronics are similar to those of the Carnivore assault tank, leading Republic analysts to suggest that the two have been trading the vehicles; we know that the Falcons operate at least an export version of the Carnivore from that tank's entry in TRO3085, lending credence to the notion.  The only notable combat to date involved a few Chalchiuhtotolins operating in defense of a DropPort from a dozen marauding Lyran or Lyran-affiliated hovercraft on the planet of Erewhon.  With half of their force destroyed in exchange for two disabled but not destroyed Chalchiuhtotolin tanks, the raiders beat a hasty retreat.

When you get down to brass tacks, the Chalchiuhtotolin is a bit like a bigger, toothier, somewhat slower Chevalier.  At 50 tons, this wheeled tank is on the large side for a medium vehicle, as large as a Maxim, and the largest tank that's able to be loaded into a light vehicle bay.   A 230-rated Gorvachs fusion engine allows a 5/8 MP allowance that in turn gives the tank a solid 86 kph flank speed in open terrain, or up to 97 kph on the roads.  The "brand" name Gorvachs only previously appears with the Jupiter, built on the same world where the Chalchiuhtotolin was designed, suggesting that the Falcons may have set up a new fusion engine factory somewhere, possibly Erewhon.  The sheer size of the 16 ton engine, though, probably has something to do with why the armor is definitely on the thin side at only 6.5 tons of ferro-fibrous arranged 37/25/15/22.  For something intended to fight in urban areas, the AC/20 test is vital, and the Chalchiuhtotolin just failed it on the rear.  That said, the armor is consistent with, if lighter than, the armor on the Ku or Hachiman and heavier than that of the Oro, all of which are around this size.  The heavy forward armor indicates an obvious need to keep the front pointed at the enemy as well.  In any case, on to the fun stuff, the guns!  The main gun is a Kolibri Delta series large pulse laser, a fine choice for the inaccurate Clan gunnery crews.  If you manage to get regulars or better, the LPL turns into a deadly accurate weapon, especially against lighter raiders - two Savannah Masters were blown apart outright during the ill-fated raid on Erewhon, while most Lyran battle armor is subject to outright destruction from a ten point hit including their famous Fenrir and Rotweiller suits.  Two four tube Pattern J4 Streak SRM launchers fed by a ton of ammunition ride in the turret, giving the main weapons fit a very similar feel to the main weapons of the Horses' Enyo, making me wonder if this is a poor bird's model.  There's also some similarity to the famous Bulldog's classic large laser/twin SRM 4 combo.  Also in the turret, rather annoyingly bumping the turret mass up for its entire half-ton bulk, is a vehicle flamer that has two tons of ammo.  Another odd weapons choice is the pair of micro pulse lasers up front.  Very light weapons suitable mainly for knife-fighting and killing infantry, each one requires its own heat sink.  Finally, one Series 34NC light machine gun pokes out from every direction (not including the turret), getting a full ton of ammo.  Clearly, someone at either the Eagle Craft Group or the Falcon leadership is worried about infantry, a reasonable concern in an urban area.  In addition, I wonder if there's some intention of producing a cheaper mass counter to things like the Enyo and Manteuffel in here, meeting the larger tanks with numbers rather than individual quality for garrison work.

The variants of the Chalchiuhtotolin are rather weirder than the pragmatic baseline model and both are basically prototypes and mixed-tech designs to boot.  TRO3085 Supplemental notes that there appears to be little intention of deploying either one in combat.  Both of them strip off the micro pulse lasers, the flamer, and the large pulse laser, then toss a half-ton into armor arranged 39/27/16/25, and are named for the replacement primary weapon on the chassis.  The first one uses a Lyran bombast laser - not one of my favorite weapons due to the inaccuracy, although someone stuck a targeting computer on here, continuing the recent trend of competent Clan vehicle design.  It doesn't fix the problem, really, but it does cut maximum power shots to only a +2 modifier total.  The other one is more interesting, using one of the Horses' large chemical lasers with 20 rounds of ammo, then backing it with a pair of extended-range medium lasers for a punishing fusillade of coherent light at 15 hexes.  In addition, they added a pair of chaff pods to the turret - one shot items that give you light smoke for LOS purposes, a 1 hex ECM effect (great for shutting Narc down), and an antimissile effect against anything other than MRMs or rocket launchers fired at you that turn.

The Chalchiuhtotolin, in use, is more or less a medium line tank.  It's basically a faster, wheeled version of the Bulldog with some additional weapons and a different armor layout.  Operate them in points, pick your best target, and then burn them down with massed fire.  None of this namby-pamby zellbrigen nonsense - that's for real, honorable warriors, not garrison-grade trash like your vehicle crews.  I imagine that the Wolf drivers who are getting the opportunity to trade up from the Ares are pretty happy.  Those of you who have played with Bulldogs will be right at home here.  The bombast laser model doesn't impress me that much  but the chaff and laser array on the other prototype are much more interesting.

Now we turn to the other side of the coin, killing a Chalchiuhtotolin.  It's not that difficult - unlike certain Clan vehicles lately, it's not a carved brick of ferro-aluminum - so you've got two choices.  Either cripple it with crit-seekers (as ever, the LB 10-X is an excellent go-to weapon) or just flat out drop a hammer on it.  Hammers work better from the stern, of course.  Battle armor and infantry may want to give this one a pass, though - the supporting weapons will hurt a lot of unarmored units fairly badly and between the Streaks and various pulse lasers, a lot of BA is likely to get chewed up, none of which even mentions the difficulty in catching the unit to try swarming it.

Image References: The MUL database provides its usual mix of BV, availability, and image data for your perusal.  At the time of this edit, no miniature is known to the author.
« Last Edit: 15 June 2011, 20:31:01 by Moonsword »

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
Re: Vehicle of the Week: Chalchiuhtotolin
« Reply #1 on: 14 February 2011, 18:16:56 »
Enjoyable read, Moonsword. Made Monday that much more bearable.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Neufeld

• Captain
  • Raven, Lyran, Horse, Capellan, Canopian, Bear
« Reply #2 on: 14 February 2011, 18:33:58 »
I like the mean dune-buggy look, and it has also decent stats.

"Real men and women do not need Terra"
-- Grendel Roberts
"
We will be used to subdue the Capellan Confederation. We will be used to bring the Free Worlds League to heel. We will be used to
hunt bandits and support corrupt rulers and to reinforce the evils of the Inner Sphere that drove our ancestors from it so long ago."
-- Elias Crichell

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 14 February 2011, 18:37:48 »
The official nickname, by the way, isn't Chalupa.

It's The Chalupa of DOOM!

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 15 February 2011, 09:15:27 »
Yeah, not much chance of me using that one either.

Overall, I'm pretty favorable to the Chalchiuhtotolin.  The armor's too thin on the rear but it can stop anything short of an HLL, so it's not too bad, and as I noted in the article, it's comparable to other Clan units that size.  The weapons fit is quirky but quite useful - I'd have gone with a solid leavening of APGRs in place of the machine guns and micro pulse lasers, personally, but what we have is usable for its stated role and they may be reserving the APGRs for battle armor and 'Mech production.  It's a lot like the Bulldog and that's not a bad thing.

Neufeld

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 15 February 2011, 10:21:24 »
Speaking about Hetzers and HLLs, would a variant with something that punches bigger holes than the LPL be viable?

-- Grendel Roberts
"
We will be used to subdue the Capellan Confederation. We will be used to bring the Free Worlds League to heel. We will be used to
hunt bandits and support corrupt rulers and to reinforce the evils of the Inner Sphere that drove our ancestors from it so long ago."
-- Elias Crichell

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 15 February 2011, 10:33:19 »
Speaking about Hetzers and HLLs, would a variant with something that punches bigger holes than the LPL be viable?

It depends on what you had to do to fit the weapon on.  My issue with the bombast laser is the poor accuracy if you want to actually make the weapon work for you.  That said, given the poor skills of most Clan vehicle crews (5/6), I'm inclined to stick with the LPL's accuracy to maintain the tank's effectiveness at range.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #7 on: 16 February 2011, 21:10:01 »
Check your electronics. They go back a lot further than the Carnivore.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 16 February 2011, 21:28:35 »
Check your electronics. They go back a lot further than the Carnivore.

That line was taken from TRO3085 Supplemental.  Comparing the actual listings (something I didn't think to do), there's nothing to suggest the tip off.

Checking against the Clan vehicles in TRO3060, the Carnivore has the same electronics as the Ares.  Checking the Chalchiuhtotolin, it has the electronics from the Scorpion.  Fitting, considering the company that built it, and in an odd little coincidence, the Toyama also uses the Basix 200 communications system.  Thanks for the tip, Jellico.

Of course, that makes me wonder what the fluff text was getting at.

GBscientist

• Warrant Officer
  • It could always be worse.
« Reply #9 on: 17 February 2011, 09:59:20 »
If I were a garrison commander, I would be demanding a field refit of the Chalupa (no way am I typing the whole name, just like the Huey) that drops the MiPLs in the front for more armour, particularly in the back.  As a light cavalry unit, I'd say the Chalupa looks fine, but as an urban combat unit, it is lacking.
"Peace through superior firepower."- Arsenal of Freedom, ST:TNG

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 17 February 2011, 10:02:45 »
If I were a garrison commander, I would be demanding a field refit of the Chalupa (no way am I typing the whole name, just like the Huey) that drops the MiPLs in the front for more armour, particularly in the back.  As a light cavalry unit, I'd say the Chalupa looks fine, but as an urban combat unit, it is lacking.

I'm inclined to agree (and stated as such about the urban combat performance).  On the other hand, for heavy urban warfare duties, the Falcons can fall back on the Demolisher C built on Sudeten and supplement it with either model of their new Ironhold battle armor.  The Chalchiuhtotolin isn't left to hold that fight up alone, thankfully.

Welshman

• Mostly Retired Has Been
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 17 February 2011, 15:40:59 »

Yes, yes it is. Fun fact. The original name was Lion, but it was pointed out to the writer, that all Clan tanks used god names. When one of the twisted individuals of the MUL suggested Chalchiuhtotolin (copy paste is your friend), the equally twisted mind of Kit agreed.

And the product developer revolted and refused to call it anything but "Chalupa."

When the art came in for the vehicle (This unit was cut from 3085 due to lack of art), it then became the, The Chalupa of DOOM!. That is the internal developer name.

I don't see the Lyrans calling it that, just plain old Chalupa, or "TARGET!"

-Joel BC-
Catalyst Freelancer (Inactive)

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #12 on: 17 February 2011, 17:35:35 »
I'm inclined to agree (and stated as such about the urban combat performance).  On the other hand, for heavy urban warfare duties, the Falcons can fall back on the Demolisher C built on Sudeten and supplement it with either model of their new Ironhold battle armor.  The Chalchiuhtotolin isn't left to hold that fight up alone, thankfully.

Continuing with that theme, it depends what you call urban combat. What sort of Clanner would drag combat into a city? What sort of Clanner would use a tank offensively? It raises the question of just who the tank is meant to fight.

Oh yes. Speaking of Clanners, Quikscell, masters of the cheap and shoddy, seem the perfect builders of a Jade Falcon tank.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 17 February 2011, 17:43:14 »
Continuing with that theme, it depends what you call urban combat. What sort of Clanner would drag combat into a city? What sort of Clanner would use a tank offensively? It raises the question of just who the tank is meant to fight.

Well, if the enemy is already in the city the Clan might just have to go in and root them out.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 17 February 2011, 17:52:31 »

Oh yes. Speaking of Clanners, Quikscell, masters of the cheap and shoddy, seem the perfect builders of a Jade Falcon tank.

The Clanners may not want to fight in cities, but sooner or later they're going to have to.  More to the point, the TRO itself suggested the Chalchiuhtotolin was meant for urban combat.  The Falcons have other, better tools to do the heavy lifting for that in my opinion.  The Chalchiuhtotolin seems more suited to either more mobile situations, although it can certainly do the job of maneuver element on pavement, and it can function adequately for suppressing infantry (or rioters).

Trajan Helmer

• Lieutenant
  • Better and calmer than you
« Reply #15 on: 19 February 2011, 14:53:39 »
The JF police/militia units have a powerful tool for taking care of all kinds of dissidents, nonetheless.
Anyone can redesign the Hellbringer's base chassis.  Real men work only with the pod loadout- Natasha K (forum poster)

Do not taunt Happy Fun Aegis. http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,42045.msg968574.html#msg968574

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #16 on: 19 February 2011, 15:34:09 »
I like the look, I like the capabilities and the look, the name is a mouthful but manageable.
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

LastChanceCav

• Captain
  • Repossessing the dispossessed ...
« Reply #17 on: 19 February 2011, 17:44:37 »
The official nickname, by the way, isn't Chalupa.

DOOM or not this is a wheeled vee not a boat  ???
Last Chance Engineering - Bespoke Battlemechs for the refined gentleperson.

Welshman

• Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 19 February 2011, 17:46:06 »
DOOM or not this is a wheeled vee not a boat  ???

To quote an ancient sitcom, "Wha'choo talkin 'bout Willis?"
-Joel BC-

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

LastChanceCav

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 19 February 2011, 18:28:04 »
To quote an ancient sitcom, "Wha'choo talkin 'bout Willis?"

Chalupa means boat in spanish.

Cheers,
LCC

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 19 February 2011, 19:40:29 »
The JF police/militia units have a powerful tool for taking care of all kinds of dissidents, nonetheless.

One of several - they're the geniuses behind the plasma cannon/APGR Indra variant (which is absolute murder on infantry) and they get their own non-lethal riot troops in TRO3085.  The Ironhold and Elemental are also capable of playing a part right there although getting front-line troops involved in something like that is probably an indication that the Falcons are about to read the Riot Act rather literally.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 19 February 2011, 22:03:26 »
Chalupa means boat in spanish.

Cheers,
LCC

Yes, but it has other meanings.

LastChanceCav

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 21 February 2011, 09:45:48 »

I know of the food, named because it looks like the boat, I'm just saying that "Chalupas" have little to do with Turkeys and Tanks.

Cheers,
LCC

Neufeld

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 21 February 2011, 09:55:27 »
I would prefer to call it the Jade Totolin.

-- Grendel Roberts
"
-- Elias Crichell

Welshman

• Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 21 February 2011, 10:11:28 »
I know of the food, named because it looks like the boat, I'm just saying that "Chalupas" have little to do with Turkeys and Tanks.

Cheers,
LCC

Nicknames don't always make sense. This one came about from my attempts to pronounce the name. After multiple "Chal.... What the heck", my mouth fell back on the only odd sounding word I knew that started with Chal.

Hence a nickname was born.
-Joel BC-

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 21 February 2011, 10:19:02 »
Again, I just can't bring myself to call it that, so I taught myself to spell Chalchiuhtotolin instead.  After a while, the part of your brain that keeps insisting, "That's just not right!" finally cries itself to sleep with the help of the bottle and quits bugging you.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 21 February 2011, 12:03:15 »
I've always been good at spelling.  I actually have an easier time with Chalchiuhtotolin than some of those tricksy words our English language has adopted over the years.  Or Welsh.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Welshman

• Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
-Joel BC-

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
« Reply #28 on: 21 February 2011, 15:48:23 »

Thank you sir! I didn't know about that other meaning. I love the Chalupa of doom! (La Chalupa de la muerte for Spanish speakers).
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

E. Icaza

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: 21 February 2011, 21:26:40 »
I don't like it, but then I'm biased against anything that makes the CJF less Clan-like by my narrow-minded definition.  They aren't a third-tier Clan like the Hell's Horses and the time and resources devoted to making this thing could instead be put into producing more 'Mechs, Elementals and ASFs.  The scientists and techs who wasted the Clan's time and resources with designing new vehicles should be executed.  If you need vehicles, you just take them from another Clan instead of making them yourself and with the Hell's Horses right next door nowadays, they make an easy and convenient target and many of their vehicles don't suck.
« Last Edit: 21 February 2011, 21:32:14 by E. Icaza »
The Clans: the Star League the Inner Sphere deserves, not the one it needs.

Register