Author Topic: MechWarrior Tactics, first extensional description  (Read 29915 times)

Marwynn

• Major
Re: MechWarrior Tactics, first extensional description
« Reply #90 on: 25 April 2012, 21:52:42 »
Also, it'd be much, much cooler if the weapons fired while they were moving instead of waiting for them to stop then firing. Cause, well, they don't actually stop moving: they only move that far in those ten seconds. Otherwise, I'm just skipping the animations.

Hope there's a readout of damage/hits a la MM.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #91 on: 26 April 2012, 07:34:52 »
It's kind of odd that they would faithfully recreate everything about the TT game and speed up movement- ...
Eh, not really. Remember that you're going to be playing against strangers, many of who might be on the opposite side of the world from you. If you went with the traditional 'I move a unit, you move a unit' movement, a single turn would last weeks. And this way they dont have to worry about initiative either.

What worries me is this talk about 'rare' equipment and collected sets from the same manufacturer giving you bonuses.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #92 on: 26 April 2012, 07:41:56 »
Eh, not really. Remember that you're going to be playing against strangers, many of who might be on the opposite side of the world from you. If you went with the traditional 'I move a unit, you move a unit' movement, a single turn would last weeks. And this way they dont have to worry about initiative either.

What worries me is this talk about 'rare' equipment and collected sets from the same manufacturer giving you bonuses.

Rare equipment I was not thrilled about, but could live with.  A specific engine type I might want to have, but each engines has it's advantages and drawbacks. (tonnage versus speed, etc). The collected sets giving a bonus, that was disappointing.  An advantage in combat that's only drawback is play more and/or spend more.  That was the thing that I thought they were going to avoid.

I'd still play, it's only one part of the game, but it's the only one so far I really wish they would change.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

truegrit

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
    • ChenTech
« Reply #93 on: 26 April 2012, 10:56:41 »
I think asynchronous is going to be way better for this type of game. Unless you're going to completely finish a game in 15-20 min, it's better than losing because you get pulled away by some sort of distraction. And as long as both you and your opponent are online at the same time, the game is only going to be a little slower. Another bonus - as on of the articles points out - is that you can have multiple games going with an asynchronous approach.

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #94 on: 26 April 2012, 11:13:37 »
I fail to see what the asynch issue is. That's how BattleTech turns are plotted right now. I move, you move. I move, you move. The biggest difference I see is that it's lance movement rather than individual movement. As truegrit points out, this approach does have its advantages. Same with fire declaration. Really the only thing that happens at the same time is the effects of damage.
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Now I've got the image of a Haywire pod that's broadcasting "stop hitting yourself" over and over." MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #95 on: 26 April 2012, 12:46:37 »
Asynchronous means we both move at the same time, but are completely blind to what the other one's doing.

Initiative's gone, and maneuvering is trickier since we don't know where the other'll end up. Granted, it sucked that a die roll determined whether or not you could move last, but it allowed us to capitalize positioning. Especially for lance on lance fights.

Hot-seat seems to be where it's at. Asynch is best suited for company and higher battles.

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #96 on: 26 April 2012, 18:41:45 »
If you say so. I haven't gotten my beta invite yet, it sounds like you did.

Unless you're just making asumptions.
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Now I've got the image of a Haywire pod that's broadcasting "stop hitting yourself" over and over." MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

Angelicon

« Reply #97 on: 26 April 2012, 22:44:33 »
Thought so. Dang.

I would have preferred something synchronous, hopefully that's what hot-seat is. Still, I'd love to play with a friend over the interwebs on my android phone, throughout the day. I get an update and I can move my 'Mech. If you put torso-twisting in the movement phase, you can shoot your weapons at the same time afterwards.
Pretty sure the devs said the game won't support tablets/phones out of the gate; while the game uses the Unity engine, it's starting out with the browser-only version. Unity Apps would come next.

I'm certain it will end up on tablets, not sure if phones will have the pixels for it.

Youngblood

• Captain
  • metalmans no longer dumpy or metal, can't touch
« Reply #98 on: 27 April 2012, 10:09:25 »
Gotta make sure the divide between the players buying boosters with in-game currency and the players with real money isn't too large.  Then we're golden.

truegrit

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
    • ChenTech
« Reply #99 on: 27 April 2012, 10:56:46 »
I hope the points-system mitigates some of that worry Youngblood. So if you try to pay to win, you're still going to fight people who are just as leveled up as you are.

whistler

• Lieutenant
  • We can out-maneuver /most/ fortifications
« Reply #100 on: 27 April 2012, 14:39:20 »
i think people are waaaaaaay ahead of themselves when they declare that that game is "MegaMek with modern graphics"... it isn't.  not even close.

and it breaks my heart :-\
Quote from: 3rdCrucisLancers
Whistler is not only a noted winner, he's a man's man, a generous philanthropist, a noted big game hunter, and a lover and a dancer. If he had a mustache it would be impeccably waxed. When he marches off to war, everyone else stays home.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #101 on: 25 May 2012, 08:24:58 »
New pictures of 'Mechs:

http://www.mwtactics.com/forums/index.php?/topic/232-mech-bios-and-unity-engine-shots/

Checking stats of those 'Mechs, it seems that they are true to their tabletop originals.

I like the Jenner side view, there's something dinosaur-like in it.

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #102 on: 25 May 2012, 08:55:06 »
i think people are waaaaaaay ahead of themselves when they declare that that game is "MegaMek with modern graphics"... it isn't.  not even close.

Fine, it's Words with friends with guns on a Battletech setting.
I'm still cool with that.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #103 on: 25 May 2012, 09:31:15 »
well I like what I see there.

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

truegrit

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
    • ChenTech
« Reply #104 on: 25 May 2012, 12:00:36 »

I agree; I have MegaMek and the board game. What I want out of this is fast/convenient (relatively), fun gameplay that lets me bash robots in the BattleTech universe.

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #105 on: 25 May 2012, 12:23:33 »
I agree; I have MegaMek and the board game. What I want out of this is fast/convenient (relatively), fun gameplay that lets me bash robots in the BattleTech universe.
That's how it starts: first with the oohs and ahhs (convenient and fast play) then there's the running and screaming (realising they are addicted to a rich universe with various ways to get your fix).
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #106 on: 25 May 2012, 13:17:24 »

you mean there's going to be people that just draw a big circle with the words "Stand here" and point all their 'mechs at it hoping i'll give them a cheap win? because i have no problem with people trying that on me.
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

Wereferret

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
« Reply #107 on: 25 May 2012, 13:30:49 »
New pictures of 'Mechs:

http://www.mwtactics.com/forums/index.php?/topic/232-mech-bios-and-unity-engine-shots/

Checking stats of those 'Mechs, it seems that they are true to their tabletop originals.

Whew I do like that Jenner!  Faithful to the original design but more...I dunno plausible I guess.  That cockpit is sweet.

truegrit

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
    • ChenTech
« Reply #108 on: 25 May 2012, 13:41:10 »
That's how it starts: first with the oohs and ahhs (convenient and fast play) then there's the running and screaming (realising they are addicted to a rich universe with various ways to get your fix).

Realizing? Me and my wallet are resigned to it  O0

whistler

• Lieutenant
  • We can out-maneuver /most/ fortifications
« Reply #109 on: 25 May 2012, 13:42:45 »
New pictures of 'Mechs:

...yikes
Quote from: 3rdCrucisLancers
Whistler is not only a noted winner, he's a man's man, a generous philanthropist, a noted big game hunter, and a lover and a dancer. If he had a mustache it would be impeccably waxed. When he marches off to war, everyone else stays home.

Sid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #110 on: 25 May 2012, 15:55:24 »
...yikes

While the designs are a bit of a departure from the original artwork, someone does state in the thread that the reason the designs were redone is so that they can be easily modeled to reflect your modifications to them.

As I understand it, if you swap out the AC20 off the Hunchback for LRMs, it will reflect that with the disappearance of the shoulder mounted autocannon and instead have visible LRM launchers on it.

Sort of the Omnimech concept...except it's for computer graphics.
Formerly known as 'Phad'

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
« Reply #111 on: 26 May 2012, 13:05:07 »
The Spider is gorgeous.
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #112 on: 01 August 2012, 12:43:15 »
http://www.pcworld.com/article/260068/mechwarrior_tactics_is_looking_good.html

Check the page for more details about this upcoming game.

I like the third picture and the accompanying text most.
So there will be different weapons and equipment manufacturers, and each weapon from different manufacturer will have different characteristics - Wow!
Aberdovey Medium laser will be more accurate while Starflash Medium laser will run hotter while Argra 3L Medium laser will be more rugged while Martell Medium laser will be cheaper to repair because it is so common ...

More images of game interface too!

Youngblood

• Captain
« Reply #113 on: 01 August 2012, 14:34:22 »
NICE.  I don't think equipment has been this detailed in a table-top experience before!

truegrit

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
    • ChenTech
« Reply #114 on: 01 August 2012, 15:19:29 »
That's pretty awesome. It would be ridiculously impressive if they based all the quirks on TRO fluff.  Note: It's NOT going to make me enjoy this less if they did not, but still…that'd be insane.

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #115 on: 01 August 2012, 23:27:47 »
Definitely interested.  The different advantages to the weapons will make for a lot of fun, esp if there's any sort of campaign play. 

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #116 on: 02 August 2012, 00:31:28 »
Definitely interested.  The different advantages to the weapons will make for a lot of fun, esp if there's any sort of campaign play.

As much as I know there will be no campaign, be it single-player or multiple-player mode. But there will be AI-controlled adversary for training. And the maximum size of unit will be one lance, so you will be stuck with fout 'Mechs on the battlefield anyway.

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #117 on: 02 August 2012, 00:55:34 »

if Its NOT "Megamek with 3d Graphics" I will be incredibly dissapointed with it, and I will promptly ignore it and go back to megamek.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Sigma

• Captain
  • N-scale Fanatic
« Reply #118 on: 02 August 2012, 01:00:55 »
I just read the article and it says you declare attacks before movement. WHAT SORCERY IS THIS!?

Youngblood

• Captain
« Reply #119 on: 02 August 2012, 01:24:20 »
if Its NOT "Megamek with 3d Graphics" I will be incredibly dissapointed with it, and I will promptly ignore it and go back to megamek.

Why do I feel like you just laid out a self-fulfilling prophecy for us?

Register