Author Topic: Another take at Heroscape terrain  (Read 13480 times)

ApokalypseTest

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
Another take at Heroscape terrain
« on: 29 January 2012, 15:33:58 »
I finally managed to put the Terrain I have been prepping the last few weeks to good use and here it is.

This is my attempt at building two maps from the basic box in Heroscape: The classic box-set map and the large lake map. You will notice it lacks trees - thats because I lack trees yet (I need about 60-70 more swamp tiles and maybe another 15 Shadow pools...).

Any feedback, criticism, ideas and improvements are as usual encouraged. My goal is to have enough prepped terrain to build 4-6 regular battletech maps.
« Last Edit: 29 January 2012, 16:39:37 by ApokalypseTest »

ApokalypseTest

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
Re: Full Heroscape Terrain - finally my Terrain
« Reply #1 on: 29 January 2012, 15:34:46 »
another view

ApokalypseTest

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 29 January 2012, 15:35:39 »
Panorama

ApokalypseTest

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 29 January 2012, 15:36:18 »
and a closeup

john blackwell

• Lieutenant
  • putting on a happy face
Re: Another take at Heroscape terrain
« Reply #4 on: 29 January 2012, 21:05:41 »
I don't know about others, but I love it!  You've done well making the terrain less plastic and more like terrain.  Any thought about doing something with the water?  Just asking.

Bravo!

JB
One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off
Pro pacis par vox excellens

Ronin Actual

• Warrant Officer
  • Bad Day?
« Reply #5 on: 29 January 2012, 21:50:30 »
Looks great, I really enjoy using the  Heroscape tiles.  I wish they would have just made some tile only packs :-\.

HavocTheWarDog

• Captain
  • Lead or Follow, but get outa my way!
« Reply #6 on: 30 January 2012, 01:06:40 »
Excellent!
"Veni Vidi Vici"

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #7 on: 30 January 2012, 04:40:30 »
Great work.

Looks fantastic.

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #8 on: 30 January 2012, 04:41:39 »
Looks great, I really enjoy using the  Heroscape tiles.  I wish they would have just made some tile only packs :-\.
Would be great. But I find it pretty easy to give away the figures when I get a new box set.
There's tons of them floating around our LGS

ApokalypseTest

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 30 January 2012, 07:45:40 »
Thanks, glad you like it

@John Blackwell:

I am glad the less uniform and more terrainy look came through. Instead of just flocking the tiles, I primed the raised parts of the hexes with a thin black coat and than randomly drybrushed half of the hexes will a flat green and the other half with a flat brown. That created already a little bit nicer look (with the dark recesses and the ligher flat surfaces. Only then did I put on the grass flock. That created the little less homogenous effect that the board has as a whole.

For the water hexes I am somewhat torn. Since the making of my own tiles is likely not going to happen, I have a severely increased need for water tiles to make special terraiin like buildings etc. which limits the number of hexes where I would be willing to put shorelines on like you did with yours. I definitely will work with the sparkly water I have to make a few level 3 and 4 water tiles, but only a few since I think for 99% of the games it really does not matter if the water is lvl 2 or deeper.

@Ronin actual: Since the game is oop anyway, you can get terrain only packs on ebay for 15-20$ per starter, if you are patient and willing to put the time in. regularly they go for about 30-35$. I now have about 12 Starters worth of stuff and I am pretty much set except for some more water tiles. Maybe I will also create a bunch of paved tiles as basic terrain as I did with the flocked stuff.

john blackwell

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 30 January 2012, 12:19:45 »
One other thing.  I like how you represent wooded hexes, but how do you differentiate between light and heavy woods?

JB

ApokalypseTest

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 30 January 2012, 12:31:50 »
Leaf trees (light green) are light forests, pine trees (dark green) are heavy. Also the base of light forests are basic green, the heavy are basic black, giving them overall a darker shade on the table.

Angelicon

« Reply #12 on: 25 April 2012, 14:12:24 »
Great stuff!
I'm just now getting into this idea of using HS terrain for Btech, and your work here is much appreciated as a source of inspiration. You have done well using relatively simple techniques to make your terrain beautiful and functional.

One question -- after you paint and flock the terrain, do you spray it with anything to make sure the flocking stays in place when bumped/rubbed by game pieces or when assembling a map?

ApokalypseTest

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 29 April 2012, 07:11:28 »
Yes, I used several layers of hairspray. It works, but I have seen better - I would probably now use dull coat. Its a bit mor expensive and you can't do it inside, but it seems to keep the flock on a tad better.

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #14 on: 29 April 2012, 10:30:13 »
For best result one might try a combination of gloss and then dull coat.  Gloss coat is typically thicker and provides a better coating, while the matte finish is ultimately required for a good-looking end-product.  Use to suit.
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
But I'd think of something better if I could
                           --E. Tonra                                                      --C. Love
--A. Duritz

Capellafella

• Corporal
« Reply #15 on: 29 April 2012, 10:47:22 »
Great job  O0

ApokalypseTest

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 07 May 2012, 08:38:35 »
@failure16: Thanks for that tip - I am somewhat worried that more of the stuff might mud up the grass though - any idea on that?
@Capellafella: Thx :D

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #17 on: 13 May 2012, 14:00:06 »
Flat or matte sprays will not muddy up flocking (unless you get more carried away with it than can be considered reasonable).  So far neither has gloss overspray, but I have not tried that on static grass specifically.  If you only give the terrain a relatively quick gloss spray in conjunction with a heavier flat/matte coat you should be fine even with that type of ground covering, though.

However, since I have not personally tried a static-grass/gloss mixture, I would try it on a solitary tile first (or even just a piece of scrap material), as with any new technique.  Regardless, even a single matte coating will provide serious longevity to your flocking.
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
But I'd think of something better if I could
                           --E. Tonra                                                      --C. Love
--A. Duritz

Von Jankmon

• Lieutenant
  • Everyone is entitled to my opinions
« Reply #18 on: 25 May 2012, 18:05:57 »
A freind contributed to our games buy buying four packs of Rise of the Valkyrie on the Not-named site.

I had some fun this afternoon recreating the 'classic' first mapboard with the lake in the middle.
It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion. By the juice of the brew my thoughts aquire speed, my mind becomes strained, the strain becomes a warning. It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.

john blackwell

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: 29 May 2012, 17:56:14 »
A freind contributed to our games buy buying four packs of Rise of the Valkyrie on the Not-named site.

I had some fun this afternoon recreating the 'classic' first mapboard with the lake in the middle.

I would love to see what you've done to the boards for playing . . . any particular elements?

JB

Garfink

• Recruit
« Reply #20 on: 31 May 2012, 01:20:01 »
One other thing.  I like how you represent wooded hexes, but how do you differentiate between light and heavy woods?

JB

I use the old Geohex hexed terrain, with hexed hills and even buildings and over the years I've developed a hybrid set of rules that blend the Hex-based boardgame rules from Total Warfare and the miniature rules from the miniature rulebook. These rules would equally apply to those using Heroscape terrain tiles as well. One question that arises most often is what to do about light/heavy woods in these games? How do yo fit a little tree & a mech model in the same hex? Even with the larger Heroscape Terrain this is difficult and many remove the trees as you move in to the hex or make little trees that go in to the corners of the hex. I found these solutions clunky and unrealistic for a miniature game (you can't move terrain around in a miniature game!), so these rule have evolved during our plays. (I may have missed a few rules that we use in certain situations, so I will be adding to this list as I go, any suggestions are welcome of course.)

Rules:

To use this variant, you'll need to acquaint yourself with the Total Warfare or Introductory Rules and the Battletech Miniature Rules.

Since there are hexes on the map, I use the movement, facing and distance rules from total warfare (its there you may as well use it.), you just count hexes and use the hex faces as you do in a normal game, BUT I use miniature rules for LOS and stacking (stacking exception: see below), this really simplifies these aspects of the game and solves the light/heavy woods problem to boot.

1) You simply can't occupy a space with a tree model (just place any old tree model in the center of the tile, easy!).
2) Trees block line of sight like buildings in the miniature ruleset (Just get down to mech level and see if you can see your target).
3) You can shoot at anything that you can see the whole (or at least 90%) of (settle any arguments with a fist-fight): You can only see half the left arm, then you can't fire at it. You can see the whole (or at least 90%) of the left arm, then you can fire at it. Roll on the hit-allocation table normally and if you don't hit the arm you can see, then you miss and hit the trees in between. (optional rule: you can rule that the trees are now on fire and producing smoke that can be represented by some cotton that block line of sight further.) If a tree is partially blocking a figure (same rule as that in the miniature rulebook for obstacles blocking LOS, in this case the trees are just another obstacle.), the attack gets a +1 modifier to hit (no matter if there are lots of tree hexes in between).
4) I use different size trees to differentiate heavy and light woods, light or heavy woods make no difference in actual LOS calculation as noted above (it makes a difference only in melee combat, see below).
5) Here is a house rule we use that I haven't seen anywhere else: If your figure is adjacent to 2 light or 1 light & 1 heavy tree hexes, the attacker gets a +1 if they attack in melee, If your figure is adjacent to 2 heavy tree hexes or 3 or more (any) tree hexes, the attack gets a +2 to attack in melee. This rule is in the spirit of those rules in Total Warfare and adds quite a lot of tactical options to this hybrid miniature game.
6) Optional: Mechs (both friendly or enemy) block LOS like the trees and if you get a hit, but miss the arm (or whatever) you were firing at, you end up hitting the mech in the front. (if there are more than one mech blocking, the mech closer to the attacker gets hit. This rule makes positioning your mechs a much more important tactical option without complicating things much.
7) Stacking is not allowed for anything except: things at different elevations such as a VTOL that is flying above the mech or tree in question AND infantry is allow to stack as per the rules in Total Warfare.

The advantages of this system is it greatly simplifies LOS, arguably more realistic too and speeds up play. There is no stacking (mostly) in these hybrid miniature rules which really simplifies that aspect quite a bit and doesn't detract from the overall experience. All the while keeping the hexes which greatly facilitates movement, facing and distance and you have a combo set of rules that takes the best of Total Warfare boardgame rules & Battletech miniature rules and mixes them together.
« Last Edit: 31 May 2012, 01:42:23 by Garfink »

Garfink

• Recruit
« Reply #21 on: 31 May 2012, 01:58:18 »
I've used Heroscape Terrain in the past and the only problem I found with them was the setup and pull down time.  To create a different map, especially something 4x6' in size, just took too long.

So I've switch back to a mix of Geohex and other hexed terrain tiles for the Terrain.  Its a lot quicker to simply move a hill around or trees around on a hex-map.

(I thought about combining the two, but the different scales are a bummer.)

CainO

• Recruit
« Reply #22 on: 05 June 2012, 19:56:16 »
 I have a Hotzmat with 1.75 inch hexes for the base.  Use light green flock on flat tiles for light woods and dark green for heavy.  The sparkly water tiles are level 1 water and opaque blue level 2 water.  Rough is a bit of floral sand glued to a flat tile and washed with an earth tone.  I sent Mr Hotz pics of my setup and they are on his website!!

http://hotzmats.com/mat_gallery_dirt_planet.html

john blackwell

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: 05 June 2012, 20:19:43 »
I have a Hotzmat with 1.75 inch hexes for the base.  Use light green flock on flat tiles for light woods and dark green for heavy.  The sparkly water tiles are level 1 water and opaque blue level 2 water.  Rough is a bit of floral sand glued to a flat tile and washed with an earth tone.  I sent Mr Hotz pics of my setup and they are on his website!!

http://hotzmats.com/mat_gallery_dirt_planet.html

It's great looking stuff.

JB

Ronin Actual

• Warrant Officer
  • Bad Day?
« Reply #24 on: 05 June 2012, 23:02:00 »
The Heroscape fits nicely in the 1.75 hexes? I may have to get some of those.

CainO

• Recruit
« Reply #25 on: 05 June 2012, 23:57:46 »
Yes the 1.75 hexes are perfect!  I purchased 2 of the 78x44 maps and just got them last week.  Each felt map is equal to at least 3 CBT maps.  I want to be able to do some large battles tho for special events and the felt maps with the prepared Heroscape pieces really adds to it.  I will post more pics as I take them and add buidings and roads and other features.

inrepose

• Private
    • Gruntz
« Reply #26 on: 06 June 2012, 09:49:55 »
I like those tiles and have a few of box's in the garrage. I had always thought I  would airbrush them up and perhaps even glue on a fine sand to give them texture.  For the time and effort the do already look OK to battle on though.

Register