Author Topic: Mechwarrior 2nd edition house rules?  (Read 4486 times)

Dirk Bastion

• Sergeant
  • It's Battle Armor, honestly!
Mechwarrior 2nd edition house rules?
« on: 15 February 2011, 03:49:19 »
It seems not unlikely that sooner or later, I'll manage to have a go at MW 2nd edition with a group of grognards.
I understand it's a rather outdated edition, but using 3rd or AtoW is out of the question.

Are there any commonly used/accepted houserules and fixes?

Ice_Trey

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
Re: Mechwarrior 2nd edition house rules?
« Reply #1 on: 18 February 2011, 03:38:12 »
I have never really met any other groups, so I can't really speak on the matter.

Myself, I did use a few house rules. Namely, that you had to roll the lowest-tech table for your character's faction unless you took Well Equipped, and from there, you could roll on better tables. I didn't allow for "pick'n'choose" mechs.

The key thing is that I let the rules from Mechwarrior Companion (2e product), overrule anything from the 2nd edition core product, as the core product was filled with ridiculous amounts of holes, the first most obvious one being regarding grenades

- MW2e core says that when throwing grenades, you don't use the Throwing Weapons skill. However, nowhere in the book does it say the skill roll you're supposed to use. Luckily, MW2Comp fixes this by saying that grenades ARE decided by throwing weapons, albeit with a tn modifier representing that grenades tend to roll after landing.

Tslammer

• Sergeant
  • 2D10 Heretic
« Reply #2 on: 03 March 2011, 19:20:57 »
I am not sure where our revision of MW2 went. I will look for it and PM you if I find it.
Basically the problem with MW2 was the speed that you could improve. We toned it down by doubling the XP costs for skills. We also broke the skills out into some more specific skills to give players the ability to be more specialized as well as alternate places for XP other than gunnery/pilot. I liked MW2 a lot but did not like MW3 very much.

Currently we are playing a modified version of MW4 with 2D10 rules based off the old MW3 Solaris rules. Finally we have a reason for a vet to be in a small mech and still be nasty.

Cannon_Fodder

• Warrant Officer
  • Dream of freedom from the 2d6 bell curve.
« Reply #3 on: 05 March 2011, 06:45:23 »
The 2d6, Attribute max 6 and Max Skill Level 6 all add up to its very easy to start he game with a 0-2 P/G. Even if you didn't start min maxed its very easy to go from zero to hero very quickly.

Doubling the cost of combat skills and have target number limits for starting players goes a log way to making the system a lot more balanced and playable.

Avatar by ShadowRaven  Sig banner by HikageMaru

ATN082268

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 05 March 2011, 20:45:06 »
It seems not unlikely that sooner or later, I'll manage to have a go at MW 2nd edition with a group of grognards.
I understand it's a rather outdated edition, but using 3rd or AtoW is out of the question.

Are there any commonly used/accepted houserules and fixes?

A couple of house rules come to mind:

1. No starting character can be constructed where any base target number for a skill is better than a 3.

2. Can burn permanent edge when a character has already spent all their edge. Example, a character that normally has 4 edge but has already spent all their edge, burns a permanent point of edge, leaving them with only 3 edge for next scenario.

-Andrew

Dirk Bastion

• Sergeant
  • It's Battle Armor, honestly!
« Reply #5 on: 06 March 2011, 03:25:25 »
All of those seem pretty good. Thanks.

Register