Author Topic: What is , in your opinion, the best BT CrossOver?  (Read 20798 times)

Zureal

• Lieutenant
  • There are Mechs incoming? Bring up T-Rex!
What is , in your opinion, the best BT CrossOver?
« on: 22 March 2012, 16:58:55 »
As the tital says, whats your favorit or what do you think was/is the best BT crossover out there?

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
Re: What is , in your opinion, the best BT CrossOver?
« Reply #1 on: 22 March 2012, 17:25:07 »
The two I like best are nBSG and our world/Tom Clancy's Ryanverse as they have relatively "straight" sci fi (albeit not hard sci fi)

I do wonder wether it would work with Babylon 5 but haven't read any that grabbed me
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

Atlan

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 23 March 2012, 01:17:08 »
If you mean, 'which is the best Bt crossover story written', there arn't exactly a lot to choose from, but I'd say it was a tie between Hotpoint's 'Hunted Tribes' and the colaberative work 'BT/Clancyverse Round Robin Story Thread' over at spacebattles.

(note: I keep a semi-regularly updated thread on this foroum, Battletech Fanfiction Links, and it has links to several good BT crossovers.)

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,343.0.html

Headshot

• Master Sergeant
  • Trust me. I know what i'm doing.
« Reply #3 on: 23 March 2012, 10:02:45 »
Does Tabby count as crossover, or "just" alternate universe?
Cause she automatically wins everything fanfic related, period!  O0

Neufeld

• Captain
  • Raven, Lyran, Horse, Capellan, Canopian, Bear
« Reply #4 on: 23 March 2012, 10:53:38 »
Hotpoint's Hunted Tribes.

"Real men and women do not need Terra"
-- Grendel Roberts
"
We will be used to subdue the Capellan Confederation. We will be used to bring the Free Worlds League to heel. We will be used to
hunt bandits and support corrupt rulers and to reinforce the evils of the Inner Sphere that drove our ancestors from it so long ago."
-- Elias Crichell

Siden Pryde

• Warrant Officer
  • Papermaster
« Reply #5 on: 23 March 2012, 11:24:41 »
Hotpoint's Hunted Tribes.
+1
Here's the link if you haven't gone to Atlan's FanFic thread: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4083103/1/Hunted_Tribes

ScrewySqrl

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 23 March 2012, 12:52:14 »
the Clancyverse crossover is very good.  I wish there had been more follow-through with the Clancy-verse Catholic Church declaring a cold war on ComStar.

another crossover I liked was the Ranma 1/2 crossover, which re-imagined the various Ranma characters as members of the Draconic Combine circa 3025, but still having their infamous curses.  (Ranma & Genma start out dispossessed, but Ranma is rather quickly given a Locust, while Genma uses a Thunderbolt, Akane drives a Panther, Shampoo is a Capellan with a Catapult, and so on).  I saw it years ago, but have no idea what happened to it

Zureal

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 23 March 2012, 16:21:18 »
For me it was the "Reunions are Hell" one. just sad it ended the way it did, was great except for the last part of the last chapter :(

RunandFindOut

• Lieutenant
  • Master of the LolCat Horde
« Reply #8 on: 23 March 2012, 16:59:04 »
Does Tabby count as crossover, or "just" alternate universe?
Cause she automatically wins everything fanfic related, period!  O0
If they count vote me for Tabby.  Giovani's Caspar's are my own personal headcanon for all Caspar's regardless of subsequent works by Catalyst.

As for true crossovers, Hunted Tribes, the SpaceBattles crossover was good until it derailed, AcademiaNut's nBSG/BT crossover was good, Meeting Engagement is a great crackish BT-megacrossover where several fanon crossovers are all xovered with each other plus a Clancy crossover.

Someone came up with a potentially hilarious BT/BSSM crossover where the manga senshi reincarnated a thousand years later during the Succession Wars.  But despite a couple pages of forum talk I got involved in the original guy never used it.
One does not just walk into Detroit

She ignored the dragon, and Freddy Mercury who arrived to battle it with the Power of Rock.

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 24 March 2012, 06:27:36 »
This has got me pondering how I would write a BT/B5 crossover... Watch this space!

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 24 March 2012, 06:43:35 »
BATTLERUN!!
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #11 on: 24 March 2012, 12:35:54 »
Hunted Tribes for me, the Clancy verse one was decent too.  The Caspar stories are ranked up there too, still have the original version of that somewhere.
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

lucho

• Warrant Officer
  • say hello to my new friend!
« Reply #12 on: 24 March 2012, 20:01:42 »
I've read so few crossovers that my vote probably doesn't count for much, but I'll go with the others: Hunted tribes was good (or is? is it still going?).

For me it was the "Reunions are Hell" one. just sad it ended the way it did, was great except for the last part of the last chapter :(

+1  :(  It ended prematurely, way too early.
If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 24 March 2012, 23:53:31 »
Hunted Tribes then the Caspar story

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 25 March 2012, 14:23:41 »
This has got me pondering how I would write a BT/B5 crossover... Watch this space!

Well, I've had a go - see Oopsie Eridani

Hellfire

• Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 25 March 2012, 21:50:24 »
Hotpoint
Trace
Evil Author
drakensis

Hellfire

• Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 26 March 2012, 21:38:52 »
Exodus of Stars should get more credit for not being the same old nBSG crossover.

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 26 March 2012, 23:40:36 »
Did Hunted Tribes ever get pruned down/rewritten?  I remember it started off great but lost focus later so I gave up on it and have not been back since before the board crash.

The Clancy one also had some issues with a lack of focus, although the killer for me was that it had a bad habit of completely disregarding BT canon whenever it was mildly inconvenient.

Exodus of Stars should get more credit for not being the same old nBSG crossover.

That started off great, although I was somewhat annoyed by how the author started tossing around absurdly huge numbers with no regard for the canon of either series.  It was not bad enough to kill the story for me, but it has brought my overall opinion of it down.

Also, I am going to recommend The Thessalonica Legacy because it somehow manages to successfully combine the dark world of BT with My Little Pony of all things.  I am still not entirely sure how that worked as well as it did, but I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is not put off by a BT story with relatively little combat.

View my design musings or request your own custom ride here.

Zureal

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: 27 March 2012, 22:34:19 »
wait... what!? BT with my little pony  :o

Yea, absolutly LOVE the Casper storys, and dame canon for not letting them jump around as they want to, i say we let them anyways! lol

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 28 March 2012, 00:39:08 »

That was my initial reaction as well, so I checked the reviews.  They said it was good, so I figured it would at least offer a laugh and got sucked in before I knew it.

Yea, absolutly LOVE the Casper storys, and dame canon for not letting them jump around as they want to, i say we let them anyways! lol

Agreed, although last I checked there has never been a printed statement on their intelligence so we can ignore word of god for the sake of awesome stories.  Of course, even if something has contradicted this in the years since my cursory check we can still ignore it because by definition fanfic is not required to conform to canon (although you should unless you have a very good reason not to).

View my design musings or request your own custom ride here.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 28 March 2012, 02:15:01 »

There are workarounds to the jumping issue, and nobody really defined what "insanity' means with an AI-remember, the term's applied from a human perspective, so "Insane" may come down to the first jump-tested AI saying, in essence, "Codes, huh...****** you, I'm going to do what I want."

Under those conditions, remember, an AI that has no hardware damage refusing to comply with commands IS insane-by the standards of the humans that built it.

Esp. with the lingering fear of it going Frankenstein/Berserker, changing the priority of its command lines, etc.  Too MUCH independence would, for the sake of someone building the SDS, I suspect qualify rather loudly as "insane".

after all, they didn't say "Brain Damaged" or "Catatonic", they used the descriptor "Insane".

AS for workarounds...

Set an egg-timer switch in a normal, digital comp unit, it turns the AI "off" as part of the jump-sequence, and reactivates it upon arrival.  (see what happens when you leave big, gaping holes in your logic?)

Tabby's "Dual Core" design could pull a few of those stunts, based on the new Canon-her instabilities and madness would, in fact, be the natural outcome OF pulling those stunts-nothing's BROKEN, she's just crazy from multiple jumps while 'awake'.  There could even be an outcome of a kind of "Super Sanity" if you make an AI (or person) crazy ENOUGH.

Star League scientists would, I suspect, be rather hesitant to run THAT experiment...

But you also have to look to the PURPOSE of Canon descriptions.  Caspars that weren't much tougher than a standard Lola III, but had more strategic mobility than any manned system AND had human-level intelligence make it hard to explain how a line of code can switch their loyalties, and makes big stationary stations pretty much useless except as logistics points-making Kerensky's grand strategy look, frankly, idiotic...and we can't have AK looking idiotic, (at least, any more than necessary).  So you end up with a system whose coordinated aggregate intelligence is about on the level of a 32 bit videogame's 'boss' AI, and you end up only leaving jump capability at all to avoid having to go back on the statement "No Monitors"-hence the need to limit the Caspar's ability to jump-it's a Canon Limitation, put there for a reason, with the necessary power-of-plot behind it.

Thus, I probably will NOT be revisiting the Tabby stories-I read (that's "READ", as in rhymes with "Seed") that the Sybil/Tabby type AI's aren't welcome in the setting, and I'll respect that until otherwise.  That "Mystery" end is CLOSED, and if I pick at the logic too much, it'll DEFINITELY get sewn shut, spackled, concreted-with-rebar closed.

« Last Edit: 28 March 2012, 02:26:54 by Cannonshop »
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Zureal

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: 28 March 2012, 10:08:16 »
and I Love Ponys on top right? lol

Headshot

• Master Sergeant
  • Trust me. I know what i'm doing.
« Reply #22 on: 28 March 2012, 12:46:08 »
Thus, I probably will NOT be revisiting the Tabby stories-I read (that's "READ", as in rhymes with "Seed") that the Sybil/Tabby type AI's aren't welcome in the setting, and I'll respect that until otherwise.  That "Mystery" end is CLOSED, and if I pick at the logic too much, it'll DEFINITELY get sewn shut, spackled, concreted-with-rebar closed.

Too bad, i'll miss Tabby quoting Ivanova.  :(

And yeah, the My Little Pony story is, well, cute.  ^-^
Though i'll never understand what the fascination is with those little ponies...
But hey, to everyone his own, there are enuff of my friends who can't understand what i like so much about Kim Possible.  ;D

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 28 March 2012, 13:22:49 »

well that sucks... i liked reading those... maybe someday you will change your mind

hammer6r

• Corporal
« Reply #24 on: 30 March 2012, 09:20:03 »
BATTLERUN!!

As in "Logan's Run"? Interesting idea....

I've never given it a lot of thought, but I think BT could be easily adapted to a lower-tech Traveller universe.....Now, an Atlas armed with B5 plasma cannons?  >:D
UP THE 15TH -- URRA!!!!!

mighty midget

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #25 on: 30 March 2012, 16:11:51 »
As in "Logan's Run"? Interesting idea....

I've never given it a lot of thought, but I think BT could be easily adapted to a lower-tech Traveller universe.....Now, an Atlas armed with B5 plasma cannons?  >:D
I think this is the BattleRun that was being referenced: http://www.battlecorps.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2259

As in BattleTech + Shadowrun
Slavish adherance to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about.

Zureal

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: 30 March 2012, 17:21:59 »
ok, i wana read it , but how do i DL it? i checked out and everyhing  :-\

mighty midget

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: 30 March 2012, 17:26:35 »
Once you checkout and get a screen that says "Your order has been processed" go to the bottom of the page and click on the title of the book. 
Slavish adherance to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #28 on: 30 March 2012, 19:20:11 »
I'm trying to find the old Vashmobile (ground vehicle), Dropship, and Warship designs that were on the board before.  Non Heavy metal versions of the files, please.

DW75

• Recruit
« Reply #29 on: 17 April 2012, 19:19:28 »
Noone even mentioned "Fifth Column" by EvilAuthor?

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4155819/1/bFifth_b_bColumn_b

Hotpoint probably comes in second place.

Register