Author Topic: (Answered) Omnimech Refit Question  (Read 5891 times)

LastChanceCav

• Captain
  • Repossessing the dispossessed ...
(Answered) Omnimech Refit Question
« on: 15 February 2011, 08:23:02 »
If I wanted to remove a piece of fixed equipment from an omnimech and convert the freed mass to omni-pod space, what class of Refit would that be?  Would it depend on the equipment being replaced (i.e., would removing an Avatar's MLs for 2 more tons of pod space be a lower level refit than removing the same Avatar's CASE for a ton more pod space) or is it equally difficult to convert fixed equipment to pod space on an omnimech?

Cheers,
LCC
« Last Edit: 20 August 2012, 00:40:05 by Xotl »
Last Chance Engineering - Bespoke Battlemechs for the refined gentleperson.

Welshman

• Mostly Retired Has Been
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Omnimech Refit Question
« Reply #1 on: 21 February 2011, 15:15:46 »
Greeting,

It is not a supported refit to do this and still have the unit be an Omni. Fixed equipment on an OmniMech can only be changed by making is a custom, non-Omni design. At that point it would be a normal refit of the unit, but the freed space would not be an Omni pod.

This has occurred once or twice in canon design, where a Clan custom has been made from an Omni and becomes a Non-Omni.

Best,
Joel BC
-Joel BC-
Catalyst Freelancer (Inactive)

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

LastChanceCav

• Captain
  • Repossessing the dispossessed ...
Re: Omnimech Refit Question (Answered)
« Reply #2 on: 22 February 2011, 07:58:54 »
Just to make sure I'm understanding correctly, if any change is made to anything fixed on an omnimech then it essentially becomes a standard mech an can no longer be reconfigured, i.e., if I wanted to replace a Firestarter-O's fixed flamers with fixed SPLs, I could no longer use the pod space as pod space and would treat the equipment that was installed in what was once pod space as fixed equipment on a standard machine.

Would this also apply to something like heatsinks?  If I replaced an Owens' SHS with DHS (would wouldn't change anything outside the engine) would that Owens become de-omnified and require it be refit/armed as a standard mech?

Thanks,
LCC
Last Chance Engineering - Bespoke Battlemechs for the refined gentleperson.

Welshman

• Mostly Retired Has Been
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Omnimech Refit Question (Answered)
« Reply #3 on: 22 February 2011, 08:15:35 »
Correct. OmniMechs are very fussy.
-Joel BC-
Catalyst Freelancer (Inactive)

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.