Author Topic: A Time Of War Improved Advanced Character Spreadsheet MkII  (Read 11060 times)

Kobura

• Corporal
  • Aliis volat propriis.
I've taken it upon myself to take this wonderful, all-inclusive, unbelievably and prohibitively complex game... and automate it.

Automate everything.

Feel free and unbelievably, BEYOND encouraged, to use, use any permutation of, link to, reference, or otherwise study from this.
It's write-protected, but copy it to your own Gdocs (highly recommended), or download it as another file (I'm not sure if the formula will survive this) and play with it.

So far, it's proven to be abso-freakin-lutely speedy for the game.

Definitely gives +2 Training skill when teaching the Complex-Advanced game of Battletech: A Time Of War, and alleviates resulting Compulsion/Tear Out Hair up to -2TP!

This section to be updated and maintained:

MkII completed! Many things are refined, and extra functional. I will be continuing to update the Mark number with each successive significant update, as well as this post in general.

Currently nonfunctional and need to be... cajoled: Fast/Slow Learner, Field Aptitudes, Tech Empathy, all statistically affectual Traits for that matter. They're just too... analogue, right now, though I might make them their own sheet with plenty of space and treat them like Skills.

For right now, they should define your character enough to be memorable. A spot is semi-provided for them anyway. Be careful, if using Google Docs, adding extra Science skills because they'll stretch your Traits list out, but there's little to worry about really.

I'm very close to conceptualizing a way to stack Encumbrance and making it display in a comprehensive, useful fashion. Stay tuned for that one. In current form, just put in manually your current load on Sheet #1 and it'll ripple to where it needs to go, remembering to manually apply equipment encumbrance (say, Ballistic Plate armor, or stacking an armor and a packframe)

Otherwise, be informed that if you add rows/columns/whathaveyou in Googledocs to accomodate, say, more languages or interests or ANYTHING... the spreadsheet will automatically adjust all relevant references.

The sheet is probably around 95% complete. It's got to have consumed at least a hundred hours, poring the book for rules I might have missed, anything that seems slow or not easily memorized. If you find anything weird, broken, incorrect, ANYTHING, please let me know as soon as possible!!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqKKeun5JvmDdEVjbnAySkdtam1RbHVGUjMtbjhNakE
« Last Edit: 25 March 2012, 10:03:42 by Kobura »
Angel of the Light
Serpent of the Night

Proud of Clan
Proud of Honor
Proud of Battle

Kobura Shinja Cape

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Re: A Time Of War Improved Advanced Character Spreadsheet MkII
« Reply #1 on: 25 March 2012, 11:16:02 »
Not bad for a start.

I had to create a lot of tables to solve the Fast/Slow Learner problem and the Field Aptitude/Tech Empathy problems when I did mine.

I still need to find a decent repository for my sheet again.

Kobura

• Corporal
  • Aliis volat propriis.
« Reply #2 on: 25 March 2012, 11:23:29 »
No I mean... create a copy of this, and start plugging in the XP values.

It's not just "Tables"

The formulas run the game. You have to see the spreadsheet working to appreciate it. Or, give me your email address, I'll give you edit rights :)
Angel of the Light
Serpent of the Night

Proud of Clan
Proud of Honor
Proud of Battle

Kobura Shinja Cape

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #3 on: 25 March 2012, 11:26:49 »
I've got my own spreadsheet to attend to. :D

Though you are welcome to swing by my thread and nab it from the link in the first post and take a look to see if there is anything that would be of use to you.  Google docs doesn't like VLOOKUP or HLOOKUP so a lot of my formulas may not be as useful as I'd hope though.

outpatient8

• Recruit
    • Outpatient9's Geek Board
« Reply #4 on: 14 November 2012, 11:40:45 »
Ok, maybe I'm an idiot but I can't enter anything to this spreadsheet? I can select a field but typing does nothing.
Help?