Author Topic: Slouching to Independence (FGC AU)  (Read 14617 times)

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
Slouching to Independence (FGC AU)
« on: 16 April 2012, 03:50:54 »
index
News from the Edge
dateline, Arluna

Following the announcement by no less than three claimants to the Lyran Commonwealth, the Congress of Electors tonight voted 44 to 12 to recognize all three as Legitimate States, with Legitimate Claims to the mantle of the Lyran Commonwealth. 

By vote of 33 to 20 with 3 abstaining, the Congress further has set forth a finding that such recognition of legitimacy shall be pulled should one claimant recognize the Legitimacy of the Rim Worlds Republic.

By vote of 54 to 2, the Union of Independent Worlds has chosen to remain neutral in the Lyrans' internal dispute, with the stated intention of remaining friendly with all three claimant states until such time as one triumphs over the others-assuming that said triumphant state does not sign treaties nor accept diplomatic delegations from the Rim Worlds.

A motion to request aid from Clan Star Adder in the event of a Lyran invasion was tabled as too speculative, a similar motion in favour of requesting Free Worlds assistance against possible Lyran aggression was also tabled for similar reasons.  Elected Archduchess Debra MacAulliffe noted in her address to Congress, that "Compromising our independence at this point in our nation's existence by rushing into entangling alliances would be foolish, and only result in foreign rule, whether de-facto, or de-jure.  I am not inclined at this time to sign any bill from this body, nor recognize further motions until such time as we have a more established position on what foreign policy beyond neutrality serves the interests of the Union's people.  Likewise, I'm rather certain that while the League would be flattered, I doubt they feel a compelling national interest in taking that sort of risk, particularly after the damage sustained by the Magistracy of Canopus when that state had, as we do, a non-hostile detente with one of the Clans."

Talks with the Free Worlds delegation, and with Clan Star Adder, are said to be progressing well, while the Goliath Scorpions (Second largest neighbour positioned between the Union and the Rim Worlds) have yet to begin.  It is un-known at this time if the Union of Independent Worlds will seek diplomatic recognition from either the Terran based Star League, or the Commonwealth of Periphery States.  Foreign Secretary Gordon has yet to make announcements, but the rumour mill is rife with speculations...
Donegal Broadcasting Corporation- Nightly News Aug 10, 3069

Robert declares for Archon, Calls for elections!

Batch Message* All LyrCom* Text only

People of the Commonwealth a terrible tragedy has been visited upon our nation in this time of great adversity. An unknown party has taken it upon itself to decapitate our goverment. In doing so our Archon and the Estates General were vaporized in a cloud of nuclear fire. The LCAF high command was also elimiated in the same manner. In light of this event I am declaring myself as a cantidate for Archon and have pledged the resources at my disposal to the security of the Lyran Commonwealth as a whole. I call on all Lyrans for thier support during this time of crisis.
Overall Command of the LCAF will fall to the senior officer known to be alive at this time. I call on our neighbors and fellow Star League members to provide humanitarian aid as needed. At this time I also call for all member worlds of the Commonwealth to send new representitives to Donegal to convene an emergency session of the Estates General so that the Commonwealth may go on. I have decided that the interests of the Commonwealth and the welfare of it's people outweigh my own.

In service,

Robert Kelswa-Steiner
Duke of Skye
Duke of Tamar

*Message ends*

It's been less than three years since Arluna was depopulated by a horrific plague, and even now, there is a faint 'taint' of death in the air.  The Plague year changed the people here, as it did on six other worlds.  Self-reliance, determination, and a subtle streak of...things have changed radically here.

Much of Arluna's capitol is still empty, but it is slowly filling out, and there is a sense of something building here, streets are no longer marked in german-they are marked in english, or vietnamese, but the german signs and adverts are slowly being overtaken by a new identity, one that is growing in strength even as the influence of Lyran culture diminishes.

These are survivors, and they know it-there is a grim pride, and under that pride, a wrath lurks, a sense of a people, coming together, with vengeance on their mind and in their hearts.

The graffitti along the main road from the space-port says it all...

'Rim Worlds Delenda Est."

'Ten Billion Demand Vengeance'.

'No more Absentee Landlords'.

'Where was Tharkad when we needed them?'

'Independence forever!'

'On Our Feet.'

On Inarcs, the sentiments are echoed, the same can be said of Neerabup, and Anembo, and Jerangle, and every other world in the Union- the Plague zone has begun coming together, and they chose the hardest-hit world as their capital for one reason: To remind them all, to become more...a black centre of fury, tempered by hard-won wisdom.
Mass Arrests on Arc-Royal?
Source: Newswire Kaumberg

Potentially disturbing footage has reached the office of Newswire Kaumberg, apparently showing the mass arrest of protestors on Arc Royal. While the total video runs in less than two minutes and lacks sound, it appears to display local police as well as a number of men wearing the patch of the Association of the Tharkad Martyrs violently confronting Lyran citizens and herding them into police vans. Signs carried indicate that the unhappiness with the "Emergency Acts" that the Arc Royal Estates General has declared was the cause of the protest. The video displays some fifteen to twenty arrested, but the footage implies that the protest may have been much larger and the numbers of those arrested greater.

When contacted by our bureau, Tainya Algeburg, Delegate Khartoum and Director of Communications for the Estates General issued the following statement. "I can confirm that there have been isolated incidents of unlawful gathering used as a front for dissident activity. Numerous arrests have been made, but none of the encounters have turned violent. The police and their auxiliaries are using utmost caution in identifying subversives who threaten the state. There were no 'mass arrests,' and no cases in which those taken into custody were harmed. It appears that Newswire Kaumberg has been taken in by a video clip known to us, one that was intentionally mauled to cover the shoddy editing of footage. This video is a product undertaken by dissidents who would undermine the legitimate government of the Commonwealth in order to prop up greedy village strongmen."

One local video expert, who requested anonymity for reasons of safety, disagreed with the Delegate's statement, claiming that there is no evidence of editing or that the damage might be intentional. Newswire Kaumberg will inform the citizens of any further developments.

3069/11/21Nha Tranh spaceport, Kowloon...

"...sorry Scott, we can't pay you, and the Commonwealth's dumped out of their contract."  Charles Vanh wasn't sorry.  Not one bit, but there was no reason to be uncivil, and more than a few reasons not to be unpleasant.

"You've already said you're making for somewhere south-now, I can read a map, and so can you.  When you catch up with Adam, give him this from Top, got it?"  Charles handed Scott Blackstone, Commander of the Blackstone Highlanders, a small thing, really.  Five centimeters long, wooden, and sharp with a triangular profile, on one face, it said "Somerset", on another, "IOU".

"I lost my oldest son on Somerset, Scott...and take care of yourself. I don't want to see you again at all until this is over."

The Mercenary left the room.

"You're just letting him go?"  Anh Le asked.

"Yeah." Charles said, "I am.  If we have to fight someone, I'd as soon NOT have it be on our home soil, and maybe the damn Congress might get some damned sense-we're not in a position to launch foreign wars, not with the Commonwealth on one border, Debbie dancing her ass off at the Clanners to keep them from 'adding' us to their possessions, and all the rest."

"But you gave him a toothpick..." she said.

"To give to Adam Steiner.  yeah...well, Scott Blackstone's not wrapped up in personal business, but I needed someone to take it there." Vanh told her,  "He needs to know why before I kill him, make himself right with god or whatever he does as a replacement for that."

Colonel Scott Blackstone took the toothpick with a bemused expression.  He nodded to Vanh.  "I will, and I will.  And, for what its worth -- I'm sorry that things ended up this way."  He came to attention, saluted, executed a crisp, parade ground-precise about-face, and left the room.  He wound his way out of the spaceport's terminal, through two security checkpoints (who didn't stop him; the marblized blue-black-white battle dress of the Highlanders was well known), and out onto the spaceport's drop pads.

His XO, Major Charles Lydecker, was waiting for him, watching as the last of the unit's 'Mechs and tanks were loaded up on their DropShips.  He saluted and let out a breath.  "I'm amazed you're still alive."

Blackstone snorted.  "Yeah. . . me too."

"They actually going to let us leave?  Or is this all a charade so that they can kill us via decompression when they blast our DropShips while outbound?"

"They'll let us go, Chuck," Blackstone said as he pulled out his sunglasses.  It was bright and sunny, not a cloud in the sky.  "They know where we're going, but Vanh said they'd let us leave unmolested.  Coming back?  That'll be the hard part."

"Really.  He said that?"

Blackstone let a grim smile creep onto his face as he stepped off towards the DropShips.  "Not in so many words.  But Daphne's a friend of mine, but they all hate her here."

Lydecker chuckled.  "Good thing I didn't invest in that retirement home."

LCS Kowloon, in transit from Tharkad...

The bridge speakers echoed with the sound of a Skye traditional-Copyright belongs to Flogging Molly and their record company-I didn't write it, I don't intend to infringe on their copyright.

"...Genuflect all you refugees who fled the land
Now on guilt you kneel
And say a prayer for those left behind
From beyond the pale to the Northern sky
So you saved your shillins and your last six pence
Cause in God`s name they built a barbed wire fence
Be glad you sailed for a better day
But don`t forget there`ll be hell to pay
Rebels are we, though heavy our hearts shall always be
Ah, no ball or chain no prison shall keep
We`re the rebels of the sacred heart
I said no ball or chain no prison shall keep
We`re the rebels of the sacred heart..."

Kapitain Michael Collins sipped whiskey, and stared out through the vision ports.  "Regrets, sir?"  his Nav Officer was a rockjack with the improbable name of St. John Nghien.

"Regrets? hell yes...but they took Maddie, and I won't leave my friends to face those maniacs alone." he said, "I guess I really am not a good officer-hell, I'm not even a particularly good terrorist, you know what I was in Blackgate for, St. John?"

"No sir."  Nguyen replied.

"I bombed a tax-office on Rahne." Collins said, "For Free Skye, now, I'm going out into the dark to fight for independence for someone else...while Skye is free, and the price of that, is I'll never be welcome back home agian."

"You're a good officer sir." Nghien said, "You held it together, held US together."

"We'll see, boyo." Collins said, "We'll see, contact all units, prepare for KF jump in Time-minus three hours."

DBC, COmmonwealth Tonight, Aug 21,3069

“This is Gretchen Sundberg with Tonight in the Commonwealth with Duke Robert Kelswa Steiner of Skye. Robert I’m sure our audience would like to hear what you have to say regarding the current state political state of the Commonwealth. So to begin what is your stance on the UIW?” Robert sips his water.

“Well I view the UIW as misguided. Their reason for pulling out of the Commonwealth is valid, but in essence is a knee jerk reaction to the atrocity committed on Tharkad. While I am against their secession in principle there is no legal recourse save to wait for them to come home so to speak. The articles of acceptance allow for worlds to leave the Commonwealth . While losing the benefits of membership they are technically not in revolt.”

“I see your point Robert. Now what about Bolan? They have declared for another state do you have an opinion regarding them?”

“Indeed I do. Bolan’s Duke Umayr has garnered a lot of popular support in his province his worlds FOLLOWED him when he switched sides so to speak. Misguided? Very much so but he has made his bed and will now sleep in it. I’m sure our Clanner neighbors with their ‘Rawr me smash’ approach will take great pleasure in gutting the re-born Rim Worlds. Better them than me. On a another subject as long as the RWR stays on their side of the fence I will concentrate on liberating Lyran worlds from the evil clans. Should Adam Steiner or his WIFE think of trying to take Commonwealth worlds by force I will be forced to destroy them.”

“So you recognize the Rim Worlds Republic Robert?”

“A good question Gretchen…I do not like the idea of an RWR and Daphne Rowe is not Stefan Amaris if I am correct she is descended of one Hector Rowe who founded the Rim Worlds Republic . Her actions while she was in the Commonwealth do prevent both herself and Adam Steiner from ever returning. Arc-Royal announced a bounty on her head and it is quite substantial.

“Speaking of Arc Royal, Robert… Do you have an opinion of their actions besides the bounty?”

“Arc-Royal’s heart is in the right place but their actions are not rational. The Estates General needs to be reformed and an Archon selected as soon as possible but they made no effort to allow myself or the other nobles to make allowances to get delegates lawfully elected and TO Arc Royal. This speaker character  whatever her name is is trying to order the LCAF to do her bidding? It is my opinion that she is trying to bend the Commonwealth to the will of Arc-Royal and the rest of us be damned.  If she was receptive to allowing delegates from Skye and Donegal time to arrive before proclaiming herself Speaker I would be far more receptive to her desires. To top it off she has no legal authority over the LCAF and by bypassing the legitimate military authorities is setting herself up for failure.”

“So you have declared yourself a candidate for Archon Robert. What are your goals should you ascend to the throne?

“My goals are simple. First is to rid the Commonwealth of the Clan threat. Second is to ensure all treaty obligations are met . In doing so it is my goal to bring the Commonwealth back to a semblance of normalcy preferably without a civil war. I want the Lyran People to be prosperous and not have to live in constant fear of invasion from one foreign power or another. My late cousin Katrina did try her best to accomplish this with her peace accord of 3020 and only the Federated Suns accepted. Unfortunately, my Uncle put his goals over the survival of the nation. Instead of compromising with the Archon and her husband he allowed himself to be manipulated by forces that would see the Commonwealth a mere façade of what it was in 3028.”

“So you believe that Free Skye is wrong in their actions over the last 40 years?”

“In principle no in execution yes… The Commonwealth has since its founding been a coalition of states working together to benefit the whole not a monolithic super-state. Free Skye failed to see this until I took the reins and became the Duke. It will take time but Free Skye is changing.”

“Thank you Robert for allowing us this interview. “ She turns to the camera. “Thank you for watching.”
« Last Edit: 16 April 2012, 04:20:42 by Cannonshop »
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Slouching to Independence (FGC AU)
« Reply #1 on: 17 April 2012, 03:36:10 »
How did it get this far??

Triad, Tharkad, July 3, 3068, Estates General

Debbie watched from the gallery as world after world voted to sustain the quarantine measures enacted at the height of the Arluna Flu.

"They're frightened." Peter had told her, "Frightened people do irrational things.  The official numbers broke Four billion dead on six worlds-the real numbers are over ten billion dead, scattered on thirteen...and while only a handfull of the planets were depopulated by more than fifty percent, even with the quarantine in place and the Terrans agreeing to maintain the fiction, Duchess, rumours still get out."

She hadn't believed it, but now...there was no question.

The devastating portion was yet to come-an amendment proposed by Arc Royal's representative was up for voting next-the amendment would extend service dates for natives of the "Quarantine Zone" in LAAF service.

"you're going to have to do something to calm them down if it passes." Peter had told her, "Especially natives of Kowloon and Arluna-there are fifty thousand of your people scattered across the Alliance, mostly serving in formations along the Clan border-a lot of them are coming up for discharges, and frankly, we need the bodies right now."

Debbie sat in the Gallery, watching as the vote on the amendment worked its way through each Province, and to the seats of the "Homeless' delegates in the debate.

She watched as the representative of Kowloon, Bianh Vu Lo, stood up.  Commoner, like me... Deb had studied the delegates from a bakers' dozen worlds all in the worst of the plague's path. 

"Ladies, Gentlemen, colleagues..." Bianh began, "This is ridiculous.  There are still billions of people on the worlds you've voted to essentially lock off...wait, Lop off, cut off and abandon, and you're expecting their sons and daughters, fathers, brothers, mothers and sisters, to accept not merely a crushing blow to their homes, but an extension of service for themselves, in the face of an Alliance that has Trillions of citizens whom have NOT yet performed their mandatory national service, due to lack of available space?"  She was a school teacher before being elected,  "Have you lost your sense?  The tradition and the law say 'Five and Out', Worlds like Kowloon, or Arluna, or Winter-we send a higher proportion of our youth to fight for the Lyran Nation than almost anyone-I believe only Arcturus sends more.  My People have travelled hundereds of Light Years to fight for Skye, for Donegal, on Coventry, and Arc Royal-and this is how you repay them?  You abandon them in the hour of need, and still you send them to die on your front lines, isolated and cut off from their families, their homes-this is madness.  You're not saving them, you're not saving yourselves, you're just damning them.  RE-Consider for a moment, just a moment, what this Amendment...in fact, what this entire bill package, says about the Lyran Alliance!  This is a Great Nation, if it is to persist, it must NOT lose focus on what makes it a great nation...I urge the representatives here to use some sense, do some thinking, remember who we are and what makes us essentially different from our enemies.  Vote NO."

At last...someone has some sense. Debbie mused. 

But the die was clearly cast...

"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 17 April 2012, 22:58:49 »
Oh tis Tommy this and Tommy that...

No wonder the UIW rejected Lyran 'protection'.  Other than the heavy gear ISTM they were more protecting the rest of the Commonwealth instead of being protected by them.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 18 April 2012, 02:47:24 »
Cantonment, 32nd Commonwealth Guard, Coventry, Lyran Alliance...3068.09.13

The unit was rated 'regular' on the lists, but they were green as new-cut spring Rye, in part because, with the out-law status of their sponsor Adam Steiner, many of the officers had been forcibly transferred or replaced.

For instance, the Commanding officer.  Colonel Wardler was on his way to a nice, quiet jail cell in Blackgate Military Detention centre, along with Lt. General Cedric Phelps. 

In their place, was a reservist who last saw Lyran Service under the Federated Commonwealth banner, a "medical Retiree" who'd been on patient status since 3051, and whose most recent military action had been running ground forces in a planetary civil war that ousted a Regent more than a decade ago.

"General Mosovich,  it's time."  Major Ernst Fahey had been a Hauptmann three weeks ago in the supply section.  He was still visibly creeped at evelyn's appearance.

"fine.  Let's go play some laser-tag then..." Mosovich said, closing out the daily reports and clambering up into 'the General's ride'-a GRF-6S.  "Headquarters, just follow the damn plan." she added.

Ten years ago, Evelyn had been fighting an infantry war as a tank commander, fifteen years ago, she'd been a Tank Company commander.  six months ago, she'd finished a crash-course on 'mech piloting given by elements of Wolf's Dragoons' Beta Regiment on Kowloon.

Let's hope the unit's still not as green as their commander... she thought acidly, "Alpha and Bravo, form along ridge 31, Charlie I want recon elements out.  This may be an exercise, but you're ****** going to play this one straight."

The Griffin had speed, and could jump-and Mosovich had chosen it specifically for those reasons-the 32nd was technically a reservist outfit on activated status, low on the priority for Assault class machines, so she'd borrowed heavily from FedCom doctrines and reorganized the unit to follow a more "Fedsunny" format. 

Some things worked better than others-she'd had a hell of a time deciding what to do with the Yellowjackets that her predecessors thought were so wonderful, until reading a newsie about how the Free Worlders were converting them to carry Arrow IV's.  Stripping AIV's from the mostly-immobile artillery lances and installing them in place of the Gauss guns hadn't proved excessively difficult for techs trained by Blackstone Industries, Blueshot, or Nashan Enterprises (who'd also provided software and hardware patches to make the guns work accurately...)  She'd replaced the new gap in the recon and fast-company rosters with Cavalry AH birds and Warrior H-7's-using the old, 3026 specification engines, lubricant issues and all, to get multimission choppers that could by god conduct Reconaissance.

Today, they would find out if all that work was worth it-today, they were playing Simulated Blood-Tag with General Russell and the 4th Royal Guards.

Russell and Mosovich were of a similar mind here-simulators don't train the way that field exercises and "paint can" shots do.    Troops learn their jobs better running their actual gear, and coping with issues like jamming guns, ammunition limits, manuever, and field conditions in...well...FIELD conditions...Next month, the 32nd was going to be reassigned, Evelyn already knew where they were going, and who they were going with.  Thus, the 4th RG were generously assisting by pretending to be Clan Jade Falcon for her.

[oos: For those playing at home]

32nd Commonwealth Guards use equipment table "b" WITH EXCEPTIONS.

4th Royal Guards use Equipment table "A" and "B" from the Lyran or Star League tables.  During the exercise, 4RG is organized in 'lances' of 5 per Clan organizational doctrine.

best played company-on-company, Terrain is rolling hills/desert, with 2 buildings arranged to the defender's taste (must be ON the map!)

Mission type:

32nd are acting as attackers here, Mission is to break through defending forces and secure/destroy both buildings.

Autejects are active, all damage is considered 'simulated'.  4RG playing as Clanners are under "Loose" Zell ROE.
« Last Edit: 18 April 2012, 03:08:24 by Cannonshop »

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 18 April 2012, 03:33:25 »
Vanh Ranch, Kowloon, 3068.09.13...

Melinda "Lenny" Chao picked up the C-bags one handed.  "Eddie, we're going to be late." she shouted-from the living room, then looked over at Mister Vanh-Charles Vanh, the father of her UrbCom team's sniper.  "You did the right thing, Mister Vanh, signing that waiver." she said with a grin.

Charles sighed, and looked at the mantel in the living room.  "Don't tell me things like that, I lost James on Somerset, David on Arluna..."

"Yeah, but difference is, Eddie's got me watching his ass." Melinda told him, "I'll make sure he keeps it intact-or my sis would have my ass." she smiled puckishly, "besides, it's a great ass, I love watching it."

"Better make sure you can pass the basic training, first, young lady." Charles reminded her, "You might be able to change a truck-tyre without a jack, maybe even one-handed the way some of your friends talk, but if you can't read the orders, they won't let you in."

"I've been getting help with that." Melinda said,  "Geez, you'd think just me living here you're my dad or something..."

"Near enough.  Pol Chao was a good friend of mine, and Laura and your mom got on well too..." Charles reminded her, "You're going to visit the graves, aren't you?"

"Yeah." Lenny said, "It's been only a year, but yeah, we're going to stop at the cemetary on the way to Vin Drin Lap...kind of have to.  You've got Sophie here to take care of you..."

"Who's taking care of who?" Charles said with a slight bark to his tone, "She might be leaving soon too, Melinda, she's got applications in at Pandora and UW Donegal, with her gifts, she'll probably be remembered a long time after we're all dead-but not for hanging around an old man farmer who can't sign."

a throat cleared, and Melinda's fraternal twin-as different from Lenny as she could possibly be, what with being strawberry blonde, thin, with a cream complexion and deaf as a post, waited for both of them to look her direction.

"I can still read your lips, Mister Vanh." Sophie signed, "And I know you can READ sign language...and if it comes to it, I've got the spell-and-speak you hate so much if you insist on looking away when I'm talking to you...besides, if they don't lift the Quarantine, I may end up having to just 'hang around here' doing correspondence courses-albeit that could be irritating as hell, since it's hard to find advanced science subjects and high-end maths available in written form outside of a University...anyway, I'm glad my sister and Eddie have gone and joined the Coast Guard Marines, instead of signing on with that LAAF recruiter-I don't feel like losing them, too."

"Well said." Charles stated.

Eddie came down the stairs with his one overnight bag, and his competition rifle neatly hard-cased.  "I'm...almost ready." the youngest son of Charles Vanh said, walking over to Sophie.  The two kissed, and he made a 'bye-bye' with his fingers...

"Let's go, Eddie." Melinda announced, "We have a couple stops to make-your mom, then my parents."

"What's in the bags?" Eddie asked.

"Body armor, spare underwear, feminine supplies, snacks..." Lenny was still listing things as they walked out of the house and down the driveway to the truck.

"They'll be okay, Mister Vanh." Sophie signed, "of course, Melinda's going to be put out that winning UrbCom three years straight doesn't entitle her to keep that bodyarmor or the Reaper-the Guard decides what gear you haul."

"I know." Charles said, and sighed, "at least they won't be dragging him off to fight on some distant world this way, not like James."

"We don't know that."  Sophie said, "The Coast Guard's been at least partly activated, if the Alliance decides they need infantry-especially infantry with training in Urban combat, both of them might get yanked for Lyran Active Duty anyway..."

"Please, don't do that, Sophie, I need to keep telling myself lies like that or I'll never be able to let my boy go out and be a man."

Jimmyray73

• Lieutenant
  • I will not be toyed with!
« Reply #5 on: 18 April 2012, 19:11:26 »
TAG'd!
Endo has forgotten more about dispensing pain than you or I will ever know...

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 18 April 2012, 20:37:50 »
tag
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 19 April 2012, 03:22:57 »
Grantsville, Arluna, Government Hall

One of the larger problems with a massive human die-off, is all the money left lying around once civilization was rejoined-even on a limited basis.  Lots of money+Low demand=Inflation.

Don Felix's first important work, then, was stabilizing the local economy, which was still overfilled with goods (thanks to the ability to scavenge materials) food, Real-estate, and raw cash.

"I call this meeting of the Assembled Provisional Government to order."  He said with great dignity, "First, we will begin with a message from Her Grace, Deborah MacAulliffe, Duchess of Arluna and President-in-absence of this body.  After that, we will work on the Immigration Act, the financial stabilization act, and the various bills presented by representatives here.  At fifteen hundered, there will be a break in normal activity while McCall and Domingo either come to a compromise on their boundary dispute, or fight it out per the rule of Duello as modified at her Grace's direction last week-after which, one way or the other, the matter will be closed and the Assembly will sort out that property line."

A hand raised-the delegate from Elton Waterworks district.  "Yes, Mrs. Rasmussen?" Don Felix said.

"Are we all going to have to attend if'n McCall an' Domingo cain't hesh it et?" she asked.

"Yes.  Per the law, duels between representatives must be observed by the full membership of the Assembly, to assure that no cheating was involved and the outcome was per the terms of the Code." Don Felix stated, "I personally would rather NOT have to watch such a disgusting spectacle, but as the McCall/Domingo feud is interfering in the business of government, we can not simply let it lie unresolved.  Any other questions before we get to the scheduled business?"

Seeing that there were none, Don Felix opened a reader-port on the dais, and plugged in a datastik.

Debbie Mac's face appeared on the big screen.

"Hey y'all, looks lahk Ah'm a-gonna be stuck here fo' a whahl longah.  Th' Estates Gen'ral's gone an' decided t'keep th' Quarantine goin' on th' whole region, means whatevah he'p we're gettin, ain' comin' from th' guvmint on Tharkad."  Her expression was bitter and angry, "Ah gots us some back-channel he'p from Peter hisself, but it ain't what we was hopin' for.  For the nonce, we gots leave t' do what it takes t' stabilize currency on a local-cluster scale, means trade basically stops cold outside a rough circle encompassin' most of the old Vickers-Wiley trade route an' terra-ward ends et Guataveta-jes shy of Cov'ntry, Ah guess we can work with thet...some.  but et also means we's gon' be strugglin' to find an export market fo' while...at least, a legal one.  Ah've gone an' got us a local-service contract for goods to Word of Blake in exchange fo' HPG services, so's we're not totally cut off no more, their staff should be showin' up at their old digs in a little while, if'n they ain't there by mid-October we kin start worryin'...in other Star League news, NIOPS has committed to fundin' an' supplyin' a couple eddicational sites in the area,  one on Arluna, an' one on Kowloon.  Ain't gonna cost us a single Kroner, neither-instead, it's a-gonna cost us about 35 MILLION Kroner.  break open them piggy-banks, guys, we need this-Doc Nellis her own self done offered to set us up with some special gears, get the industries back once we gots people to man 'em up, includin' a fairly complete Star League era data core with industrial equipment designs so's we kin maybe sell parts to the Navy or somethin'."

"Ah was disappointed to hear 'bout McCall an' Domingo, thet stream wanders, yall need to grow up an' realize it ain't a stable boundary, that them old issues are long gone an' dead, an' we cain't afford no more feudin', not with so few of us left.  There's room to grow outward, y'all need to do thet instead...but if'n you cain't do th' respons'ble thing, then Ah suggest y'all decide if'n y'all gonna use Hatchets, Hammers, or Knives, and get down to settlin' yor differences lahk brain-addled moon-headed morons, hopefully, your next of kin are smarter than thet."

"Anyways, Don Felix has full writeups on th' offers from NIOPS, Word of Blake, an' th' Free Worlds League, 'long with some proposals from a group callin' itself th' Coaltion of Periphery States-includes the Taurians, NIOPS, Outworlders, an' Randis.  They's offerin' us a lot more than th' Estates is willin' to part with on our behalf, so's Ah would suggest y'all consider it before y'all take it to vote.  Ah also sent ahead Peter's offer, which Ah endorse, but it's up to y'alls.  Ah am still tryin' to git some of our folks in LAAF service turned loose to come on home, and Ah'm still beatin' drums and kickin over stones t'git us some immigrants to help stabilize things.  Lord knows there's plenty of folks displaced in the last few years, but ah'm thinkin' we might have to be picky in spite of them tryin' to choke us off-we's needin' skilled workers, an' skilled business people to re-grow with.  Anyways, Ah'm sorry ah cain't come home right away, Ah'm hopin Ah'll be able to soon."

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 19 April 2012, 08:29:42 »
Ah suggest y'all decide if'n y'all gonna use Hatchets, Hammers, or Knives, and get down to settlin' yor differences lahk brain-addled moon-headed morons, hopefully, your next of kin are smarter than thet."

I like it, "please kill yourselves off"
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Stormcrow

• Major
  • Art by Shimmering Sword
« Reply #9 on: 19 April 2012, 09:02:37 »
#tag
Commandant Otto Maurus, ARWH-1Z ArcHammer, Maurus' Minutemen
Captain Obadiah Sykes, OSR-5FCR Ostroc, Second Filtvelt Citizens Militia

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. - Confucius
Noli Timure Messorem
May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. - Voltaire
Wielder of the Ferro-Carbide Bat of DOOM™

Headshot

• Master Sergeant
  • Trust me. I know what i'm doing.
« Reply #10 on: 19 April 2012, 11:45:59 »
UrbCom ?
Is that something like Urban Brawl?  ^-^

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 19 April 2012, 13:13:56 »
UrbCom ?
Is that something like Urban Brawl?  ^-^

Or an URBan COMbat exercise.

Headshot

• Master Sergeant
  • Trust me. I know what i'm doing.
« Reply #12 on: 19 April 2012, 13:55:00 »
Sure, but there's talk of "her" UrbCom team, and of winning it three times.
Plus they were civvies, so it sounds more like a game to me.
A game featuring body armor and snipers, but hey, we're talking Loonies here...  :D

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 19 April 2012, 15:01:31 »
Sure, but there's talk of "her" UrbCom team, and of winning it three times.
Plus they were civvies, so it sounds more like a game to me.
A game featuring body armor and snipers, but hey, we're talking Loonies here...  :D

Civvie Loonies? I do not think that means what you think it means.  ;D

croaker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 19 April 2012, 19:54:48 »
Inviting in the Wobblies, hmm? That's never good....

Zureal

• Lieutenant
  • There are Mechs incoming? Bring up T-Rex!
« Reply #15 on: 20 April 2012, 00:32:19 »

But they are so shiny and red and matalic and ..... bad ass! lol deff one of my favorit factions, even if they are evil... err.... socialy awqward.  >:D

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 20 April 2012, 02:24:04 »

Just remember: at that time, WoB was doing Comms for the ENTIRE Lyran State-as in all of it that wasn't already re-zoned "Clan ownership".

Blake owned the contract, ergo, to be on the net with the rest of the LA, the Quarantined worlds pretty much HAD to go with the local long distance service...

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 20 April 2012, 04:03:27 »
"Trade is an issue of stability.  Forget collecting Tributes, for it is Trade that stabilizes internal borders.  Suppress internal trade, and your internal borders will destabilize.  The worst eras of the Free Worlds League (for them) have occurred at times when their Parlaiment and Captain Generals have tightened the noose and increased taxation of their internal trade routes..."

-Elizabeth Ngo "The Art of Finance and the Modern State", Huskie Press, UW Donegal, Donegal,  3059 A.D.

Smallcraft "Tractor", Jennings Coop, Boojum Belt sector, Kowloon System, 6/09/12, 1600 hours...

"Assay's back, Clara." Sally Jennings announced. 

"And?" Clara Nghien looked up from the book she was reading.

"That two kilometer lump you found? it's about forty percent pure Germanium and fifteen percent Niobium, along with the silcons and carbons."

"We're ****** rich." Clara said.

"Maybe-we've got to find a buyer who can handle the volume of the load first."  Sally said, "Meantime, I'll get Ritchie and Sloane out here with the thruster packs and some boring gear-the Assay office just confirmed our claim."

"Can't we just sell it to Lockheed or Ioto?" Clara asked, yawning.

"Quarantine's still going on, makes unloading this a bitch-and we'll probably get gouged either way." Sally said.

"Maybe we can shop it off the grid, let me do some checking." Clara said, finally moving from her sleepsak, "Gotta be someone who can pay fair market out there..."

Nha Tranh, Kowloon, Diplomatic Row, Street of Lanterns, Goliath Scorpion Mercantile Exchange...

The plague wrought many strange and wonderous things-Kowloon, having the only "Militia Navy" in the sector, had found itself in possession of something rare outside of the Clan Border- Clan diplomatic offices.  In particular, Clan Goliath Scorpion (a Warden clan), and Clan Star Adder both maintained merchant offices on Lantern Street.

"HOW much?" Merchant Factor Giles stared.

"Several million tons, it is a high grade ore, and with the domestic trade cut off..." Merchant Kim, assigned here because of her fascination with 'dead' terran languages (such as Vietnamese) practically hopped in her excitement.  "We should ask the Warriors to trial for it!" she enthused.

"I am not sure how these people would take that." Giles said warily, "Not to mention the Wolf Clan group over in Hue-exiles though they might be, our clan and that sub-group of Wolves get along well, it could be a poor strategic move."

"But it is huge." Kim insisted, "Huge means expensive, we are not Diamond Sharks with Kerenskies falling out of our nether regions."

"True...I want you to travel out to the Belt, to the office at Spider Moon, and make inquiries, see if you can get independent confirmation of the value of the strike-take Luus with you-if it is truly that valuable, I think our Clan can make a deal."  Giles instructed, "With our new outpost on Death of Adrian, we have a place where we can stage enough transports to bring this wealth back to the Homeworlds-or sell it to other Clans, if you can find a good price locally."

"Price??" Kim asked, aghast, "Giles, that is a GIGANTIC strike! we have-"

"We have technologies, we have medicines, we have goods and knowledge we can trade, find out what they need, what they want, and what they will pay for it.  Trial in this place have the potential to create significant difficulties for our Clan later.  IN the meantime, I will be contacting the Factor running Canid Creations in Hue, and the Adder Merchant Administrator at their offices-if we are unable to purchase it outright from our OWN Clan's funds, perhaps a joint venture could take some of the heat off of our Khans in the Grand Council-it certainly would not hurt to get a few other Clans indebted to us, and if this is as rich as it sounds, that could only be to our good to secure it as primary, if not sole, customers."

"Aff...very well..." Kim said, slightly crestfallen, "I will arrange transport to the Belt, then, and see about making direct inquiries with these Rockjacks."
« Last Edit: 20 April 2012, 04:24:15 by Cannonshop »

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 20 April 2012, 04:37:21 »
Abbeville #6, Winter, 10/09/3067...

The Arcology still stank of death and fires.   Jordan Shrakenberg walked down the main corridor of level 15, noting the sealed living compartments and the E-Crews at work removing bodies.

Level 15 was the last level to be cleared, out of Abbeville #6's one million people, roughly a thousand had survived the Flu of '67, tech crew from neighbouring systems were present, changing filters and removing corpses to be stored (temporarily) outdoors in sub-freezing temperatures of Winter's "Summertime".

At least Maggie didn't have to see all of it... he mused-his sister and Heir, Magritte Summervale Schrakenberg, had endured the infection on Inarcs, where there was, at least, an outdoors that wasn't lethal to step into to get away from the worst of it.

Out of forty or so Arcologies ranging from a few thousand, to several million people, only three had managed to keep the disease isolated enough NOT to be like Abbeville.

Thankfully, those were our industrial sites, instead of purely residential/resource extraction sites.  Gott help us if it had been CMI Baker or Defiance Seventeen!

He reached the end of the corridor, and turned left, to his temporary office.

"News, sir-the Estates General is keeping the Quarantine measures up."  Greta Sonnenheim, his assistant, was tear-streaked and shaking, even as she kept her voice neutral.

"I see..." He stopped, and thought about the dead, piled like cordwood outside.  "Very well, when the crews are finished clearing the bodies, we'll put the city into shutdown with a small caretaker crew. Eventually, we'll still need the space, even if those verdammt schwein on Tharkad leave that quarantine in place for all of eternity."

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 20 April 2012, 06:05:47 »
Arthur Luvon's Estate, Tharkad, 15/09/12...

"...proceeding apace, Dennis." Luvon was the chief magistrate justice of the Lyran Alliance Supreme Court.

He was also a strong supporter of the cause of Dennis McClaren and Thomas Rowe, and one of the more influential members of the Estates General.

"You're talking about it like it's a good thing, Art."  Dennis McClaren was the only partner of "Rowe McClaren" who wasn't dodging the LIC and Lohengrin, mostly due to Luvon's vouchsafing his loyalty to the Archon.  "We're starving those people out."

"Has to be done, Dennis.  First we cut them off, then we offer them someone else-and they'll take it, this time, instead of rioting, or resisting.  When Daphne and Adam come forward to those worlds, they'll sign on, and secede-which makes a shorter border we can more easily defend with what we have." Luvon told him, "If Peter wasn't so sentimental, he'd probably have seen this for himself...instead, we have to sneak around behind his back to save the Lyran Commonwealth."

"What about those rumours from the Arc Royal area? any truth to 'em?" Dennis asked.

"some...but there are always radical politics when things aren't going well, uprisings, 'popular movements' and such...they'll settle down on their own." Arthur predicted confidently.

"Hope you're right..."

Shadow_Wraith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: 20 April 2012, 08:17:52 »
Wonder when will the Dimond Sharks will hear about the germanium find and descend on the planet??

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 21 April 2012, 02:51:56 »
Arc Royal, 3068/09/10...

The Arc Royal Academy had been founded to provide 'mechwarriors and officers, and it still served that purpose.  What was new, was the expanded Political Science and Economics wings, and the hiring of new faculty to replace Kell Hounds personnel who left with Caitlynn and Christian for the Outworlds Alliance.

"...the Clan economic system has enabled them to outstrip us technologically and outdo the Inner Sphere in every measurable way, and yet, we are still saddled with the dinosaur of Capitalism un-fettered by wise Social Policies..."

There was a rally today.  There was one last week, and there would be one next week, as well.  Professor Graus liked to hear himself speak, but he liked it even better when Jon Tanuyama showed up, with the message of radical change and a new, stronger order just over the horizon.

It wasn't quite a political party yet, and the heavily pro-Lyran slant of some of the speeches kept it off the same lists that monitored Free Skye, or the periphery's 'Independence' movements....

But...

but.

today, there were a couple more guest speakers, including Retired Colonel Axel Cohdman, speaking as an officer of the social and philanthropic "Order of Cincinnattus."

"...need to put Military funding above all others, and force the corporate corruptocrats to supply the Miltiary first-far be it from me to suggest that Civilians have no place in the government-they do, naturally, but the needs of Defense, and the needs of the People, are far too critical to leave the essential engine of the Nation in profit-driven private hands!!"  Cohdmann was speaking now, and Tanuyama could be seen standing behind him, nodding at each point.

"Nationalize the Factories, Bring Military Efficiency to Government, and end the Waste!!" Cohdmann shouted.

The crowd showed their appreciation.  Most of them were young, most were students, most would be on the front lines in a few months to a few years...and all of them were taking Graus' courses.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 21 April 2012, 03:04:48 »
NARC'd
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 21 April 2012, 04:35:04 »
Arluna Annex, Tharkad, October 1, 3068...

The Arluna Annex was purchased outright-the funding wasn't hard with so much scavenged cash from the dead zones on Arluna, getting the hard cash past the Quarantine was.  The Annex had offices for both elected reps-Julie Caskill and Don Jose Silvio,  an actual "Ducal Office" (suggested by Peter, given the difficulty of travel through the Quarantine zone), and smaller annex offices in which new-appointed representatives from Australia, Anembo, Winter, Jessenice, and Jerangle, Neerabup, Mandoaaru, and Kwangchowwang could do their businesses.

And Debbie had living quarters outside of the Palace.

The Arluna Annex had, in other words, nearly as many different worlds represented, as most of the Theatre-level extension offices near the Triad, and at Peter's urging, Debra found herself doing very much the kind of business that a full Provincial Archduke would be doing in THEIR annex offices.

"So..." She sat at the head of the table quietly while Bianh Vu Lo of Kowloon was speaking, "What are we going to do about the changes to the Militia act sponsored by the Arc Royal representatives?"

"I, for one, don't like the idea of even posting troops inside businesses, it smacks of Nationalization."  Jennie LaRue, fourth child of the Duchess Larue of Inarcs, said with a frown,  "I also don't like their idea of 'tithing' tech-people to front line units."

Deb looked to Don Jose-a younger son himself, and (like so many of Arluna's surviving nobles) the last of his line unless he could find a woman to bear his offspring.  "It pains me to say it, but I must agree with the Noble Baroness of Paradiso on this-we're so short-handed back home that any skilled people are desperately needed just to keep things from completely failing, Maddie?"

Madelynne Schrakenberg was the Niece of the Ducal line of Winter, and had found herself on the wrong side of the Quarantine line while serving aboard the LCS Arthur Steiner Davion.  "I see their point, but you're right-it wouldn't hurt Coventry, or Alarion, but they didn't have a massive population die-off, between what, frankly, Mulcahy's people are proposing, and what the Bolan faction's already rammed through the Estates, it looks a lot like we're going to be stripped bare and abandoned at the first reasonable opportunity-Militia from Kowloon, I am given to understand, are being pulled to active and sent pell-mell all over the Q-zone to do jobs that used to use full House Regiments, and the LCN has definitely been pulling in a lot of Spacers from our end to crew their ships, quarantine or not- Duchess MacAulliffe, you need to get Peter to make them back off-at least for a while, we don't have the bodies to spare, or the physical resources, especially with this Quarantine in effect and the economies of over a dozen worlds on shaky terms."

"Ah'm workin' on him." Debbie said tiredly, "But b'tween summons t' the Courts ovah th' Emergency measures the Provisional guv'mint's had to tek just t'git th' dam infra back up, an' fendin' 'gainst offworld claims..." she yawned, "Seems Lahk Ah spen' moah tahm ovah et th' Supreme Court buildin' than Ah Do heah, or et th' Palace."

Bianh wrinkled her nose in distaste, "Luvon." she spat, "ruled the 'Restitution Act' of '65 was legit, tried to suppress evidence of malfeasance...the man's in bed with the Rowes, he shouldn't be sitting in judgement over anyone, he should be on his way to Blackgate."  The Kowloonese Rockjack, first of that sub-ethnicity EVER elected to the Estates, tapped her PADD,  "Barring that, maybe an accident..."

"NO operations on THARKAD." Debbie stood up and thundered, "NONE.  Liz warned me about thet, Ah b'Leived 'er, an' now Ah'm tellin y'alls-we play clean ball heah, we's too vuln'rable to do oughtwise."  she sat down, "Not t'say we's unable t' look inter it an' maybe poke fo' some Evidence we kin give th' Archon of Luvon bein' crooked."  she amended calmly, "Jes, we ain' gon' do no killins, nor cheatin's here.  Ifn y'all kin gather 'nough evidence, y'all might just git th' chance t'see Art Luvon in front of a Trial judge, an' off on his way to th' graybar hotel."

"I love it when I can't understand a ****** word you say, Duchess." Jeff Crockett from Australia opined, "Makes me glad I'm alive, having to wade through that accent and dialect to get the information that you don't want any dirty deals."  He smiled smarmily, "But I am forced to agree-we need legitimate proof, gathered in Legitimate ways to move on a figure as important as Arthur Luvon."

Debbie gave him a glare.  The Australian rep just smiled at her winningly.

"we is agreed, then, we gots to do something about this situation afore it blows up or collapses?" Deb asked.

the assembled representatives nodded.

"Fine." Debbie slowly and carefully enunciated, "Then here is what we are going to do..."

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 21 April 2012, 05:00:07 »
Cloakroom, Estates General, 3 October, 3068...

"You're following her lead, why?" Martin Hugin, representative from Kaumberg, asked.

Bianh Vu Lo looked at him, sphinx-like, and said nothing.

"Seriously, why?  Every world in the Quarantine zone's representatives are talking from the same playbook Deborah MacAulliffe is using in her speeches...why?" Hugin pressed.

"Because she's more like us than you are." Bianh said quietly, "She's practical, pragmatic, and she, unlike your duke, actually cares about the welfare of OUR worlds, and their place in the Alliance...why are you lining up with your faction, other than common interests?"

"Touche', and here I thought all you Rockjack spacers cared about was reaction mass and consumables."  he said with a sudden easy grin.

"We also care about market pricing, and we REALLY care about free movement." Bianh reminded him, "The quarantine is savaging the internal trade of the entire Alliance, delaying shipments, probably costing your folks money too-the Plague is over, it's time to resume normality, or we're going to lose the war, and all the frantic ranting from the Arc Royal people won't stop it, much less the panicked, plague obsessed fear mongering of Bolan's people."

"WE can take care of ourselves-the Clans lack the manpower to take the entire Nation, and we have repelled the Free Worlds League's probes..." he said, rather proudly.

"Yeah...and the Terries will 'save' us...just enough to make sure we keep bleeding to stop the Clans." Marcus Jerome of Kwangchowwang interjected, "Wake up and smell the smoke, man.  The longer these mistakes persist, the worse things are going to get.  I've got half my home government trying to come up with a way to surrender in the event that the lines don't stabilize, another third want to put some radical fringe group preaching a weird mix of  Clan economics and extreme fascism in charge, Bianh and Debbie's people are the moderates whom, I believe, represent our best interests...and yours."

"Well, it's a tight little voting bloc you've got there, I'll admit that." Martin stated, "You've got a bill you need pushed through the Committee on this, I'll back it...for a price."

Bianh resisted the urge to snarl.  bribe, cajole, or blackmail them she said... the Rockjack smiled.  "what's the cost?" she asked.

"There's a rumor that they found a big lump of Germanium in the Kowloon system-I think a few hundered  tons of refined Germanium could...well, sway some support your way?" he said with a grin, "Or, a cut of the sale, if it's large enough."

Bianh smirked, "I could cut you in-I've got shares in the Jennings Co-op..."  she said smoothly, "Of course, loosening travel and trade restrictions would bring the price up considerably?"
« Last Edit: 21 April 2012, 05:01:41 by Cannonshop »

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 21 April 2012, 12:14:22 »
Assembly Hall, Arluna...

"...permit structure under the previous Ducal Lord was a mess, we've got a chance to fix that, and I am saying we need to take it."  Don Felix had the floor, "and it is not just my saying it, either.  Most of this star system was never fully utilized, even at the height of the Star League, even when, under the DeSotos, we were just barely struggling along with a few high-value mineral claims on Arluna itself- You all recall that I was one of DeSoto's men for a good many years, this change of mind did not happen over-night, but I say that MacAulliffe was right, and his Daughter is right now-The Law must be simple enough to understand, and it must apply to everyone equally, both must be true.  Don and Landlord to Peon and Freeman, all citizens, we lack the population to pretend it can be otherwise."

Jessica McCall-Domingo stood up, it was less than a month since her late father, and the late father of her new husband, cut one another to pieces on the lawn of the Assembly, since Don Felix and the Assembly forced her into marriage to seal the two sides of the old feud together as one-with blood.  "If we pass this, can I get a Divorce?" she asked.

Her Husband, Hektor Domingo-McCall, beside her bobbed his head in frantic agreement.

"Code Duello was adopted by this body, Senora." Don Felix stated, "If you wish to have the judgement of the Assembly overturned, you must speak with the Duchess-whom is not here at present...and that goes for you, too, Hektor...but certainly strong support for the Permit Reforms will do nothing but aid your cause."  He added a smile, Not to mention that Deborah was apalled by what we did to you two-but she's not here, and when she comes back, it will give her a chance to appear moderate... he thought silently.  "as it is, however, consider the advantages your combined factions now enjoy-greater lands, relative peace, and your neighbours no longer want to round the lot of you up and burn you with the corpses."  which is, sadly enough, completely true...we saved your asses to get a little peace and quiet in that district...

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: 21 April 2012, 14:00:41 »
A shotgun marriage in more than one sense: forced upon them and likely to end in a gunshot.
"It's national writing month, not national writing week and a half you jerk" - Consequences, 9th November 2018

Hellfire

• Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: 21 April 2012, 14:49:51 »
Jessica McCall-Domingo stood up, it was less than a month since her late father, and the late father of her new husband, cut one another to pieces on the lawn of the Assembly, since Don Felix and the Assembly forced her into marriage to seal the two sides of the old feud together as one-with blood.  "If we pass this, can I get a Divorce?" she asked.

Her Husband, Hektor Domingo-McCall, beside her bobbed his head in frantic agreement.

:)

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #28 on: 22 April 2012, 06:48:58 »
Spider Moon Coast Guard Station, Boojum orbit, Kowloon system, 15 October, 3068...

Merchant Kim of the Goliath Scorpion Clan had arrived as a follow-on after SaKhan Nelson Elam's strange visit with the system's late Duchess.  She had seen, for herself, the Elbar Proclomation he brought back-a document from the Father's own hand, preserved by this strange people and given freely to the Clan.

Her study of the local 'culture' (such as it was) convinced her thoroughly that the gift was more in the tenor of a warning, than anything else.

This was a people whom neither forgot, nor forgave, as easily as most.

She brooded on that, while waiting for the Scientist to come back with the Assay results.  She waited in a tunnelled gallery-like a temple, lined with names and dates.

Moshe Goldberg 2741-2775, Eagle's Nest.

The names were memoria to the dead, going back centuries.

The only order was in the date-of-death.

WO3 Heng Vu Khat, 2777, Elbar (RDM) Some of them had a three-letter citation, all grouped around the Elbar campaign.  "RDM"...Running Deer Mountain.  occasionally one of the cited had a small star of david as well.

Sgt. Chao Huyn, 2751-2777, Elbar (RDM, BR, CM)  it was not hard to figure out the acronyms- Black River was late in the Elbar campaign, a frantic last-ditch Rim Worlds attempt to break loose surrounded forces.  CM meant something else.

Cdr. Mai Cu'ong, 2735-2777, Elbar.

She followed the wall deeper into the tunnels, until the dates began rolling backward.

Su Ang Li, 2729, Dinh Diep  was marked with a radiation symbol.

Down a shaft by elevator lift, she found earlier dates than that-dates going back to the 2500's.

"Thought you'd be here." a voice spoke.  Kim turned in surprise.  She knew the face-Alicia Li was well known on Kowloon, and frequently shown on the local newsnets.

Commodore Li. she corrected herself.

"A lot of names." Kim said, "a lot of history."

"Those are only the ones we knew for certain." Li said, "the ones they could confirm.  We have another place for the Disappeared under Rim Worlds Rule, the ones our ancestors weren't sure about.  The List started shortly after the founding colonists got to Kowloon-during the isolation years, later it expanded to cover the losses when we were fighting the Long War, the Coast Guard's been here from the start...and that's not even the lists from Old Earth the first Colonists brought with 'em after the Tel Aviv betrayal, or the lists of those our ancestors knew who died in the Sinai Germanium fields, or the family lost in Year Zero, or the ones lost in the China War of 2031-we have long memories."

Li nodded to the wall, "What does a Clan Merchant want with our dead, anyway?  Your scientist should be back from the Jennings burrows in a few hours, word already has it he damn near had an orgasm off those Assay results."

"The Kerensky document-your gift to the SaKhan-it was more than a gift, it was a warning, quiaff?" Kim asked.

"Rude to answer a question with a question, but yeah, it was." Li said, "Tranh Truk Ngo trusted Kerensky to keep his word.  The Exodus killed him as much as the Cholmann's syndrome did.  It's hard to keep fighting something like that, when your hope for the future dies.  MY family kept it for a few decades, then it was the Phung family's, then the Truks, Lo's, Nguyens, Vanhs, and back.  We kept it as a reminder-kind of like these tunnels."

"What was the warning?" Kim asked.

"I think you already know the answer to that." Li told her, "I don't think I need to explain it, if you have already figured out enough to ask that question-lower halls are undergoing maintenance, you might want to get closer to the main installation-you're not wearing  a rebreather or a suit."

Zureal

• Lieutenant
  • There are Mechs incoming? Bring up T-Rex!
« Reply #29 on: 22 April 2012, 16:01:44 »
i am getting to love this story

Register