Author Topic: (Answered) Interaction between Called/Aimed Shots and Angle of Attack for Hit  (Read 2267 times)

Runeslinger

• Recruit
    • Casting Shadows
How is the Angle of Attack rule for Hit Locations intended to be used when an attacker is aiming at a specific body part?

Example:

A character is at a lower elevation than the target and chooses to shoot for the Head.

Thoughts:
This is a -5 modifier to hit, but when checking the hit locations chart, we see that the Angle of Attack rule requires that head shots be re-rolled.
The same is true from higher elevations shooting at the legs. Was the intention to ignore Angle of Attack on called shots? Was it to have the GM apply additional modifiers to the roll to increase or decrease the difficulty of striking the chosen location depending on the Angle of Attack?

Has this been discussed before and I missed it? Please let me know where~
« Last Edit: 20 August 2012, 00:45:36 by Xotl »
Runeslinger

It doesn't matter that it has all been said before~

Runeslinger

• Recruit
    • Casting Shadows
No takers?
Runeslinger

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
If you're aiming at a specific location, you don't randomly determine hit location. Angle of attack then is moot.
If your shot connects, you strike what you were aiming for, regardless of angle.
You'll also note that when shooting normally from a 'Below' angle, it's still possible to hit the head, just much less likely. If you re-roll the location, and it resolves to 'Head', then the 'Head' result stands.
Likewise it's possible to hit the legs when the angle is 'Above'.

If your Aimed shot misses, it's considered to have missed the target completely.

Paul

The solution is just ignore Paul.

Runeslinger

• Recruit
    • Casting Shadows
Thanks for the reply. I know this particular question is somewhat pedestrian, but it actually led to a 'discussion' in my group, so I thought I should go to the source for additional input.
Runeslinger

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
Hey, that's what these forums are for. Glad it helped.

Paul
The solution is just ignore Paul.