Author Topic: Measure of a Hero, Call of Duty, and Operation: Audacity  (Read 4565 times)

Naga of the Wards

Hows it goin everyone, this is my first post on the forum. I just reread a few of my favorites from the series and wanted to see what everyone else had to offer on the Archers Avengers series. I really like the units involved and the background of some of the characters are gripping. I think they play up the whole robin hood and stonewall jackson thing a bit, but pound for pound the Avengers became one hell of a unit. Also i found it great that Colonel Blutcher finally got his chance to fight side by side with archer at the end of Audacity. anyway did anyone else check these novels out?

abou

• Captain
Re: Measure of a Hero, Call of Duty, and Operation: Audacity
« Reply #1 on: 25 April 2012, 12:40:31 »
I remember the story of Archer and his unit well.  I hope to reread them sometime.

BTW, Pardoe added another chapter of his story on BattleCorps and it is available in the first volume of their print collection.  It was entitled "The Longest Road" and details his actions on New Avalon.

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 25 April 2012, 20:01:57 »
I liked the first two novels a great deal but the third wore thin for me very quickly.  The Jackson references were part of that, but also just FCCW burnout by that point I think magnified other flaws for me.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #3 on: 25 April 2012, 20:12:58 »
BTW, Pardoe added another chapter of his story on BattleCorps and it is available in the first volume of their print collection.  It was entitled "The Longest Road" and details his actions on New Avalon.

Who's Actions on New Avalon ?   I didnt' think the Avengers were there.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

foxbat

• Tunnel Rat
  • Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • classicbattletech.fr
« Reply #4 on: 26 April 2012, 05:41:12 »
They were there indeed. The trilogy ends after the Falcon Incursion, so in mid 30635. At that time, Victor is still grief struck at Omi's death, and won't recover for another year IIRC. But he did make good his promise the Avengers, and Christifori, would take part in the final battle against Katherine. Since it took place on New Avalon, so the Avengers traveled there.
You'll get it all if you download The longest road from Battlecorps, as abou suggested.  ;)
Hanse Davion is my shepherd.
We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender! Winston Churchill, June 1940

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 26 April 2012, 22:52:50 »
Ah ha,  I see what you meant now.

Interesting, I would be interested in reading about that.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Naga of the Wards

« Reply #6 on: 27 April 2012, 12:06:40 »
yeah he mentioned taking the remaining avengers to meet up with victor on new avalon after the negotiations with Diana and Marthe on Blair Atholl right?

abou

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 28 April 2012, 05:31:30 »
I can't remember the details that specifically in terms of what happened on Blair Atholl, but I will say that the end of "The Longest Road" is satisfying.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #8 on: 28 April 2012, 21:17:30 »
If I am remembering correctly, Christifori was there on New Avalon and personnely got to see Katy's S-D's defeat first hand. Been awhile since I read the story.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

abou

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 29 April 2012, 05:38:37 »
Dude, he hasn't read it yet.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #10 on: 29 April 2012, 12:35:04 »
Its a teaser.  ;)
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

MOrab46019

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 29 May 2012, 22:27:54 »
The Longest Road was great. It was a great way to end Archer's war.

Frank

• Master Sergeant
  • The True Holders Of Kerensky's Legecy
« Reply #12 on: 13 June 2012, 23:53:17 »
One of my favorite sub-plot books. Too bad there were not more books about them. I wished they survived the Jihad and became a major cog of the LCAF after the jihad.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 28 June 2012, 13:38:11 »
Hmm, what happens to them in the Jihad,  I don't recall mentions of them,  I'm guessing part of Peter's Tharkad resistance movement ?

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #14 on: 28 June 2012, 14:46:38 »
Hmm, what happens to them in the Jihad,  I don't recall mentions of them,  I'm guessing part of Peter's Tharkad resistance movement ?

Archer dies fighting against the Jade Falcons. The Avengers turn merc and hook up with the Knights of St Cameron before that unit disappears.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 28 June 2012, 15:49:07 »
Wow, intersting end there, thanks for the info.