Author Topic: 'Mech of the Week, 27/4/2012: C-ANG-O Archangel  (Read 19947 times)

Kopfjager

• Sergeant
'Mech of the Week, 27/4/2012: C-ANG-O Archangel
« on: 25 April 2012, 19:20:20 »
At first glance, the Archangel will likely be a mech that makes people do a double-take and take a second, long look at the record sheet. On paper, the design choices made in creating this largest of the Word of Blake’s Celestial Omnimech might seem questionable at best, utterly ridiculous (or idiotic) at worst. And indeed, the basic design of the Archangel presents a study of contrasts in mech design.

Weighing in at 100 tons, the Archangel is at the sweet spot for maximum available weight for a 3/5 mech. Weight-saving measures comes from the use of Endo-Steel internals and Small Cockpit, the latter of which might be a rather questionable thing considering the penalty to PSRs it gives. However, given the fact that the Archangel is tailored for use by Manei Domini pilots, and that most of the MDs that pilot one will likely have VDNI/Buffered VDNI, the Small Pilot is an understandable design choice.

What makes the weight-saving measures seem impotent however, is the choice of an “Immortus” 300 Compact Engine for the mech. Weighing a full nine and a half tons more than a standard engine of the same rating, this engine alone eats up all the weight saved by the use of Endo-Steel and Small Cockpit. The Compact Gyro further eats up into the available tonnage. What this combination results in however, is a base chassis with a unique setup, being able to fit in large guns in its Center Torso as well as a backup weapon on its head, a feature every single configuration of the Archangel have utilized.

A paltry thirty-six tons of pod space is rather laughable for a 100-ton assault mech, but in this case, actual play has shown me that the Archangel’s trade of firepower for sheer survivability gives it certain qualities that other mechs will be hard-pressed to match. Wrapped in a full nineteen and a half ton of armor plating, the Archangel is as well armored as any mech can be without using hardened/modular armor or being a quad. The armor distribution passes the smart-armor check with flying colors, with the extra-thick back armor hinting that the mech is likely expected to be in the thick of things. With the Center Torso able to take three Gauss slugs, the side torsos and arms two each, and the legs able to take a UAC/20 double-tap without breaching, it is well protected. Even on the back, the side torsos can take an errant PPC hit without letting it through, and the rear CT is capable of handling a single Gauss slug.

It is this combination of thick armor, compact engine and gyro, and a tendency to all-energy setups that grants the Archangel its well-earned reputation of a literal “zombie” mech. In most configurations its internals are usually well-padded with non-explosive equipment and/or double heat sinks, and even a TAC to the CT will have less than 50% chance to touch this mech’s engines or gyroes. In fact, it is usually faster and more efficient to kill one of these beasts by coring it rather than trying to crit it to death.

The Archangel sports 6 common configurations, one experimental configuration, and one personalized configuration, outlined below:

Invictus (Prime) – A true oddball even amongst the rest, the Invictus configuration is armed only with a Heavy PPC and a Plasma Rifle with 20 shots as well as the Retractable Blade common to all celestial’s Invictus configuration. Despite possessing jump jets, this is still a 100-ton 3/5/3 mech that is unable to deal more than 25 points of damage at range, even if those shots will be accurate thanks to the targeting computer it carries. The value of the Retractable Blade highly depends on which ruleset you use, as under TW rules its ability to extend on punch attacks gives this mech a 10-point punch that can potentially roll for critical twice. Considering that this mech possessed a Guardian ECM suite, it might be worthwhile to use it as a huge, kicking, punching distraction that also spots for the rest of its level II.

Dominus (A) – Armed with twin arm-mounted Heavy PPCs as well as the ER Medium Lasers mounted on the CT and a Snub-Nose PPC mounted on the head, the Dominus is a trooper that can dish out the pain and keep shooting until it dies thanks to its centerline armaments. Twenty double heat sinks allows it to use both heavies as well as either the snubbie or the ERMLs while only building movement heat. While the Snub-Nose PPC suffers from being used outside short range, the ability to toss around a pair of 15-point hits with C3i assistance at will gives this mech a higher threat level than most of the other configurations.

Infernus (B) – Very similar to the Dominus (A) configuration, the Infernus trades one Heavy PPC for a pair of Light PPCs and throws away the ER Mediums for a second Snub-Nose PPC. This setup makes the Infernus an arguably better brawler than the Dominus, but the two configurations are so similar I would almost consider them interchangeable.

Comminus (C) – The one oddball configuration, this is the only Archangel config without any serious centerline weaponry, and is also the only one armed with ammunition-based weapon. In this case it is armed with a pair of MRM-40 racks as well as pair of ER Medium Lasers, with an ER Small Laser mounted facing the rear. A Guardian ECM suite makes this configuration particularly well-suited for city-fighting, and its C3i computer allows it to use its MRMs to their full potential, since it can use them from 15 hexes away at short-range to-hit numbers. This configuration works well as a shooter in a C3i linked team or as a straightforward in-your-face assault mech. In a city it would also be a pretty mean ambusher. Unfortunately, the pilot will have to pick his/her shots, since only 12 rounds of ammunition is provided for each MRM rack.

Luminos (D) – Another configuration that would be at home in confined terrain, the Luminos config arms itself with a pair of ER PPCs for long-range combat while carrying a suite of pulse lasers for close combat. The addition of a Guardian ECM Suite and Jump Jets would make this mech particularly at home in cities or as a bodyguard to sniper elements of its Level II, where it can contribute as both a sniper and as a bodyguard.

Eminus (E) – A configuration that works best as a long-range sniper, the Eminus is armed with twin ER PPCs, an ER Large Laser, a Light PPC, and two ER Small Lasers, all linked to a Targeting Computer. This configuration has some heat issues, and usually needs to alternate using its ER Large Laser with its Light PPC from turn to turn to keep its heat under control. With the Targeting Computer and the bevy of long-range guns, it works best staying far back and sniping away, preferably with the aid of some C3i links.

Caelestis (S) – Like most other Caelestis configs, this is an oddball configuration featuring experimental equipment. In this case, it combines arm-mounted clan-tech ER Small Lasers and Thunderbolt-10 with torso-mounted Binary Laser Cannons, with a pair of Clan-tech ER Medium Lasers mounted in the center torso and a pair of ER Flamers in the head. A heat hog, this config has issues trying to fire more than half of its weapons, and to be honest, it’s not particularly effective at anything. Like other Caelestis configs, it seems to function primarily as a test-bed for experimental gear.

Guardian – Berith’s personalized Archangel, the Guardian is very similar to the Infernus configuration. In fact, the only difference between the two configurations is that Berith traded out the CT Snub-Nose PPC and a heat sink for a Medium VSPL as well as capacitors on the light and heavy PPCs. The addition of capacitors makes heat juggling more difficult, but at range it can easily keep up a staggered barrage of capacitor-powered PPC blasts.

To use an Archangel, ideally it would have a C3i network to support it, regardless of which role it is assuming. Most configurations of the Archangel is perfectly capable of serving as either pointman/spotter or sniper/anchor for its team, with its ridiculous durability presenting its opponents with the unpleasant choice of trying to kill it (and take a long while doing so while its teammates pound on you) or to ignore it (and risk it pounding on you on its own).

Fighting against an Archangel… is an unpleasant proposition. Barring a lucky headshot chances are you would need to core the Archangel before it finally dies. The combination of compact engine and gyro makes attempting to crit it out of the fight a difficult proposition, and as such, the most efficient way might be to just crush it with brute force, or to bring out as many headcapping weapons as you can and hope for a headshot.

Note: It's a little early because I might not be able to get online tomorrow. Also, this is my first try at MoTWs, so any comments and critiques would be much appreciated.

Zureal

• Lieutenant
  • There are Mechs incoming? Bring up T-Rex!
Re: 'Mech of the Week, 27/4/2012: C-ANG-O Archangel
« Reply #1 on: 25 April 2012, 21:05:15 »
u forgot one thing.... its totaly AWSOME good looks! its a deame sexy beast. deff my fave celestial

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #2 on: 25 April 2012, 22:16:57 »
Of these, the A and D variants are clearly the best. The E is useful but require some finesse, as the article mentions. The C has grown on me over time; the combo of the MRMs and C3, plus very likely an elite MD pilot, allow this thing to absolutely shred slow heavies and assaults who can't simply outrun the Archangel.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

daeceg

• Corporal
« Reply #3 on: 25 April 2012, 22:18:10 »
I remember playing at ChimeraCon in SA when the local Commando introduced us to the Celestials---the hard way!

The Archangel just WILL NOT DIE---that annoyance factor alone makes it fun to take.  I actually use it in a 'tiered' approach, since all the Celestials are 'borged' up.  Send in the lighter, speedy things to spot and then use the Archie as a mobile strong-point that advances just behind. 

Fallen_Raven

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 25 April 2012, 23:12:36 »
One thing I've noticed is that all of the center line weapons become very limited if the Archangel loses a leg. So if you manage to kick a leg off (or shoot one off with called shots I guess) you can neutralize a good chunk of the firepower and leave it wounded instead of spending the time to finish the beast off. It isn't a fatal flaw, but when you're fighting something this tough you need every edge you can get.
Subtlety is for those who lack a bigger gun.

The Battletech Forums: The best friends you'll ever fire high-powered weaponry at.-JadeHellbringer

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 25 April 2012, 23:48:37 »
Oh man! So glad to see a MotW on a Celestial.  I really enjoyed it!

Zureal

• Lieutenant
  • There are Mechs incoming? Bring up T-Rex!
« Reply #6 on: 25 April 2012, 23:59:06 »
One thing I've noticed is that all of the center line weapons become very limited if the Archangel loses a leg. So if you manage to kick a leg off (or shoot one off with called shots I guess) you can neutralize a good chunk of the firepower and leave it wounded instead of spending the time to finish the beast off. It isn't a fatal flaw, but when you're fighting something this tough you need every edge you can get.

pfft, u make it sound sooooo easy XD

Ghostbear_Gurdel

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the Sword...
« Reply #7 on: 26 April 2012, 00:09:39 »
I almost OSKed an Archangel with a backstabbing Firemoth H...then it flipped arms.  #P
"The real question is, just how badly do you want to pound your opponent?  You can do things to your opponent with an ASF that are illegal in 39 states and 14 countries, and that's without even trying hard." - Paladin1
Member No. 3 of the JM6 haters club

Headshot

• Master Sergeant
  • Trust me. I know what i'm doing.
« Reply #8 on: 26 April 2012, 00:34:27 »
The S suffers mostly from obviously being designed with pre-errata blazers in mind, just like the other Celestials that use them.
IF you switch the heat/damage back around, it would actually be quite scary.

sandstorm

• Lieutenant
  • Slayers Clear the Way
« Reply #9 on: 26 April 2012, 02:11:31 »
Hmm, would 'patter of hailstones' tactic still be worth it against MD-Celestials? Ie. trying to go for pilot knockout via plenty of light headhits?

Something fast, reasonably armored and with LB20X or MRM40's and hoping for plenty of headclusters?
Ex Dubio, Obscura
--------------------
"Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it."

Isanova

• Lieutenant
  • There you are!
« Reply #10 on: 26 April 2012, 02:18:05 »
I love a cannon omni design that can manage to mount an SRM-28 in the Center Torso... AND still have enough remaining throw-weight to make it a useful, realistic design!  :D

Nice write-up, though for some reason all this talk about durability makes me envision an Atlas sitting on top of it, legs around it's shoulders, trying to crack open the Archangel with a big rock :P
Freeborn and proud~

Demos

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 26 April 2012, 03:09:40 »
Archangel rocks!
Thanks for the article.
"WoB - Seekers of Serenity, Protectors of Human Purity, Enforcers of Blake's Will!"

peter crowley

• Corporal
« Reply #12 on: 26 April 2012, 07:14:19 »
Hmm, would 'patter of hailstones' tactic still be worth it against MD-Celestials? Ie. trying to go for pilot knockout via plenty of light headhits?

Something fast, reasonably armored and with LB20X or MRM40's and hoping for plenty of headclusters?

Problem with that is that one of the cheaper cyber mods allows mani domini to ignore most pilot damage including head hits.

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
« Reply #13 on: 26 April 2012, 07:53:06 »
Nice article.  Good recomendations on usage and tactics, which I like to see, and a very comprehensive run down of the known veriants.  The only thing that really lets it down is that no one's done the other five Celestials in a while, and you can hardly be blamed for that.  I for my part would be happy to see more like it.

As far as the mech, I agree that it is an intresting and unique mech, being one of only a very few mechs that tries to spend a lot of its tonnage not on weapons, but on durability.  Thouse compact components could have been guns, after all, and when one looks at some of the experiances players have shared there is a thought that perhaps they should have been.  Going that route, especaly with a flagship mech, is a bit daring.

The key problem it has is that, unlike hardened armor or a few other techs, the compact components protect it against crits but don't increese the amount of over all damage it can absorb.  Despite their vulnerable XL engines, mechs like the Devistator and Thunder Hawk are still equaly as well armored as the Archangel, so untill the first hundred or so damage gets dealt they're basicly on par.  Given that a high end XL assualt can easily surpass even the better Archangel veriants for power, and especaly power at range, they're more likely to peel that armor off first.

The Archangel's key counter tactic for this is to rely on accuracy.  Many veriants mount TCs, and between them, the C3i, and their hyper elite MD pilots, they can be sure of connecting very very often and making called shots fairly often.  The MRM veriant offers a key exception, perhaps, but its still very dependant on C3 spotting (or on being very close to its enemy as the spotter itself). 

Which brings up the point of range.  Very few can fight at properly long range.  The E has two TCed ER PPCs, which isn't bad, but it still wants to be at 18 hexes to bring its ER LL and LPPC into play, and its the longest ranged one of the lot.  Its an odd choice for a very slow mech with access to C3, especaly for a high end flagship mech.
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #14 on: 26 April 2012, 08:41:44 »
Oh man! So glad to see a MotW on a Celestial.  I really enjoyed it!
Well before the last boards crash we did have articles on the Celestials. In fact I wrote the one for the Archangel, here's what I've got (only my original article, not all the comments).

Quote from: Wantec, from the old boards
Mech of the Week: Archangel C-ANG-O-*

Well now that we've finally gotten the time, it's time to bring in the Celestials for their own individual MotW articles. We've already had articles on the Preta (by Kojak) and the Seraph (by Maelwys) Today's edition brings you the biggest, baddest of the series, the Archangel!!!

Like all of the Celestial series 'Mechs, this one takes its name from the name of a class of angels. The term "Archangel" means "head angel" or "chief angel" and as such, Archangels are reserved for command Level IIs and unit commanders.

I don't know if you knew this or not (I didn't until recently), but the Archangel is the only 100-ton Inner Sphere Omni, and after the Dire Wolf/Daishi, only the 2nd 100-ton Omni in a TRO. (Props go out to the first person to mention the 3rd 100-ton Omni mentioned in canon).

The Archangel was the first 'Mech to introduce us to the potential of combining a 300-rated compact engine and gyro. The combination of the two cuts in half the crits needed in the center torso, leaving a total of 7 crits free in the 'Mech's centerline. While saving crits, these two compact technologies each weight 50% more than their standard version, so designer Dr. Devon Cortlan, a.k.a. Precentor Vapula, used Endo Steel to free up extra tonnage. Like many other Word of Blake designs, a small cockpit is used to save tonnage and space. In order to maximize protection, this 'Mech carries the maximum armor for it's size, 307 points.

Since the Archangel was designed for use with the Manei Domini forces who prefer the smaller space and frequently use the Vehicular Direct Neural Interface (VDNI) implant to connect directly to the 'Mechs controls, the few drawbacks of using a small cockpit aren't a concern. The base chassis uses 12 double heat sinks, all of which fit in the engine, and all of the known variants make use of those heat sinks. Lastly, as a Word of Blake 'Mech, a C3i system is hard-wired to the base chassis, carried in the center torso.

Overall, this is a great 'Mech design. The combination of the compact engine, compact gyro, and maximum armor means that the Archangel, at least in its base chassis, has claimed the title of "Zombie 'Mech". While 3/5 isn't impressive speed, it is acceptable for a 100-ton assault 'Mech. And even though 36 tons and 37 crits (up to 41 crits by removing actuators) isn't a whole lot of pod space, but given the zombie capabilities of this 'Mech it can last long enough to make the limited weapons deadly.

The Invictus (Prime) variant was likely designed to instill fear and terror in enemy troops and civilians. In addition to the heavy-hitting power of a Heavy PPC in one arm, the Invictus variant uses a Retractable Blade in the other arm and a Plasma Rifle in the head. A targeting computer increases a Manei Domini's already deadly accuracy, and jump jets and a Guardian ECM add to the 'Mech's mobility and electronic defenses.
My rating: 6/10, The combo of jump jets, Heavy PPC, Plasma Rifle, and targeting computer is good, but so many tons were spent on a the Retractable Blade that isn't as useful without using rules from TacOps.

How I would improve it:
Well, like many people have suggested, remove the Retractable Blade. Then I would add a Small Pulse Laser and Beagle to increase those infantry-swatting abilities and deter any would-be hidden units. Adding the laser increase the targeting computer size by 1 ton and 1 crit, and lastly I would add 2 more heat sinks to cover the heat load.

The Dominus (A) variant is the first of many zombie variants of the Archangel, and the heavy-hitter of the group. It carries a Heavy PPC in each arm, a pair of ER Medium Lasers in the center torso, and a Snub-nose PPC in the head. The rest of the pod space is devoted to 20 double heat sinks, which perform moderately-well at handling the heat burden.
My rating: 8/10, carrying two head-cappers and nothing that explodes, the ER Medium Lasers seem wasted

How I would improve it:
There's not an easy way to improve this one. My first instinct is to trade one of the ER Medium Lasers for an extra heat sink, allowing it to fire the PPCs and run every turn with no heat. The other ER Medium Laser is a toss up.

The Infernus (B) variant is very similar to the Dominus variant, trading the 2nd Heavy PPC and ER Medium Lasers of the Dominus for a pair of Light PPCs and a second Snub-nose PPC. It is best at close ranges, where the Snub-nose PPCs max their damage and their short range bracket. The loss of the second head capper sucks, but having a second Snub-nose PPC in the center of the 'Mech is useful if the 'Mech has lost both side torsos.
My rating: 7/10, losing the 2nd head capper makes it less scary, especially when the overall damage output goes down.

How I would improve it:
Replace one of the Light PPCs with a double heat sink and a pair of Medium Lasers (standard or ER, your choice). This gives it the ability to run and fire all the PPCs for no heat and bumps the max damage output back up to match that of the Dominus.

The Comminus (C) variant is the only one to carry ammo or a weapon that explodes. However, it risks ammo explosions in order to carry a massive MRM 40 in each arm, with 12 shots per launcher carried in side torso, along with CASE. Backing up the big missile racks are a pair of ER Medium Lasers and an ER Small Laser. Depending on what weapons you fire, this variant is either over-sinked or under-sinked, with only 15 double heat sinks.
My rating: 6/10, Slow and carrying shorter-ranged weapons, and only a few back-up weapons, this 'Mech depends on shredding enemies with its missiles.

How I would improve it:
Well step one would be removing the MRM racks, since I personally dislike MRMs, but since that's kinda the point of the variant I'll avoid that. What we can do to is replace the MRM 40s with a pair of MRM 30s and two tons of ammo each. This saves us 4 tons. Then I would replace the ER Medium Lasers with a pair of Light PPCs, one in each arm. By using smaller missile racks you avoid some of the heat issues with the current version and give you a little longer reach.

The Luminos (D) variant brings out the long range guns, with an ER PPC in each arm. Four Medium Pulse Lasers and jump jets help out in case anyone tried to get close or behind you. A total of 17 double heat sinks means that bracketfire is the word of the day. A Small Pulse Laser, ER Small Laser, and Guardian ECM round out this version.
My rating: 7/10, Not stellar, but this is a well-designed variant. The ER PPCs let you fight at range, but up close is where you want to be.

How I would improve it:
There's not much I would do to improve it. If I felt inclined to change it, I would drop the ECM, ER Small Laser, and two of the Medium Pulse Lasers for 2 double heat sinks and 4 standard Medium Lasers. This increases your Medium Laser punch from 24 to 36 damage.

The Eminus (E) variant is the sniper of the group. Not only does it have the dual ER PPCs of the Luminos, but it adds an ER Large Laser, a Light PPC, and a targeting computer. A pair of ER Small Lasers and 19 double heat sinks wrap up this variant.  There's enough heat sinks for the ER PPCs, but not enough to add the ER Large Laser every turn.
My rating: 8/10, a good sniper, but the damage output is limited at all ranges.

How I would improve it:
Remove the ER Large Laser, since the Inner Sphere version really isn't a sniper's weapon, and remove the ER Small Lasers. Then add 5 standard Medium Lasers and a Small Pulse Laser. The Small Pulse is there for anti-infantry work, and at close ranges you can trade the 10-damage of an ER PPC for the 25-damage shot of the 5 Medium Lasers. (It's a tactic we've used in our MegaMek Merc campaign and it works well).

The Archangel Berith is the personal variant of Spector Precentor Omicron Berith, the ascended Manei Domini commander of the Opacus Venatori. It is also the first variant to break out the TacOps, experimental equipment. The variant is apparently based off of the Infernus variant, both carrying a Heavy PPC in one arm, two Light PPCs in the other, and a Snub-nose PPC in the head. Where it differs is that the arm mounted PPCs each carry a PPC capacitor, which can increase the damage of the PPC shot by 5 points and the heat generated by 5 points. It takes one turn to charge a capacitor (the PPC cannot fire that turn), but turning a 15-point shot into a 20 pointer, or a pair of 5s into a pair of 10s is worth it. The last piece of next tech is a Medium Variable-Speed Pulse Laser, mounted in the center torso.
My rating: 9/10, a good mid-range brawler, it is still quite dangerous after taking heavy damage.

How I would improve it:
Add the pilot who it's designed for. Precentor Berith has a special implant that lets him automatically pass shutdown rolls. The 'Mech still overheats, but being able to push the heat scale up into the red with little worry of shutdown is nice. The only other possible changes would be like the ones I listed for the Infernus variant.

The Caelestis variant is the second variant to use TacOps experimental tech, and it is the first to use Clan-tech, although not very much of it. Each side torso carries the new-yet-old Binary Laser Cannon, giving it dual head-cappers out to medium range. A Thunderbolt 10 plus two Clan ER Medium Lasers provide more medium-range firepower, but the Thunderbolt only carries 1 ton of ammo (without CASE), a meansly 6 shots. Rounding out the 'Mech is a pair of Clan ER Small Lasers, a pair of ER Flamers, and 17 double heat sinks. The number of heat sinks means that your firing choices are limited to (a) both binary lasers, (b) 1 binary laser, 2 Clan ER Medium Lasers, and the Thunderbolt, or (c) everything except the binary lasers. Considering the fact that everything falls into the medium or short range brackets, there's few reasons to fire any of the other weapons besides the binary lasers.
My rating: 6/10, Slow speed and no long range weapons is one of my pet peeves, plus un-CASEd ammo is another annoyance.

How I would improve it:
Well, step one I would remove the Thunderbolt and ammo for an ER PPC and a standard Medium Laser. Then I would possibly swap the Clan ER Small Lasers for a second standard Medium Laser. This gives you back the zombie factor of no exploding stuff and the ER PPC gives you a sniping weapon while you close.

Notable Pilot: Spector Precentor Omicron Berith
Commander of the Elite Opacus Venatori, ascended Manei Domini, and Terra-born. His original name was Benjamin Emory. His first battlefield experience was on Tukayyid. While he was not sold on either Comstar's new secular self, or the teachings of the Word of Blake, he defected to the Word of Blake to remain loyal to Terra and help protect it. A skilled 'MechWarrior, his skills match that of an elite Clan 'MechWarrior, before adding the benefits of his cybernetic implants.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 26 April 2012, 10:47:54 »
Thanks, Wantec. 

I've only used the Archangel a couple times.  The first time was with the Invictus variant (Berith pilot) and I found the design lacking in firepower.  The second time was with the Guardian variant and I found it much more useful.  I probably could have pushed the heat more, but I was fighting on the bottom of an erupting volcano and I needed to make sure Berith could still move around.  I really do like this 'mech. 

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
« Reply #16 on: 26 April 2012, 11:44:28 »
It is one of my prefered celestials. It is odd but it can receive a lot of damage.. and bring a lot of firepower. It is far better than the Seraph (that costs more BV) and it is a different way to design an assault mech... a resilient unit instead of a XL one.

We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

Neufeld

• Captain
  • Raven, Lyran, Horse, Capellan, Canopian, Bear
« Reply #17 on: 26 April 2012, 13:20:20 »
I am not really sold on the concept, other than as a commander's ride. This would be the mech that gets ignored in favor of designs that are more fragile and have more firepower. So, sure it will survive a long time, but it would probably do it at the expense of the rest of its level 2.

"Real men and women do not need Terra"
-- Grendel Roberts
"
We will be used to subdue the Capellan Confederation. We will be used to bring the Free Worlds League to heel. We will be used to
hunt bandits and support corrupt rulers and to reinforce the evils of the Inner Sphere that drove our ancestors from it so long ago."
-- Elias Crichell

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 26 April 2012, 13:21:06 »
I'd like to add that this is a great command 'Mech.  When you've got a commander with Initiative Bonuses as well as other special abilities, it's great to be able to keep him in the fight.

Fallen_Raven

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 26 April 2012, 13:25:53 »
I am not really sold on the concept, other than as a commander's ride. This would be the mech that gets ignored in favor of designs that are more fragile and have more firepower. So, sure it will survive a long time, but it would probably do it at the expense of the rest of its level 2.

Considering the long term conflicts of the Jihad, I'd say that having a high durability ride could be a good thing in spite of the limited firepower. Having a 'mech that could survive most short engagements, has little ammo to worry about (in most configurations anyway) and can continue fighting despite of damage it has taken, all adds up to a great choice for a campaign.
Subtlety is for those who lack a bigger gun.

The Battletech Forums: The best friends you'll ever fire high-powered weaponry at.-JadeHellbringer

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 26 April 2012, 16:58:44 »
It is well protected from 'golden BBs', but if no critical hits are scored it is not much more durable than a classic Atlas, 12 points to the head still stops it cold, and the structure is the same strength, the armor nearly so.  If the enemy is prepared to pound it to scrap metal the hard way, it will take the same firepower any well armored SFE 100 ton mech can.

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #21 on: 26 April 2012, 17:34:41 »
Here's a question: Archangel vs Osteon, any canon configs, equal pilots, no outside teammates. Where does your money fall?
My wife writes books
"Thanks to Megamek, I can finally play BattleTech the way it was meant to be played--pantsless!"   -Neko Bijin
"...finally, giant space panties don't seem so strange." - Whistler
"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul
"...I was this many years old when I found out that licking a touchscreen in excitement is a bad idea." - JadeHellbringer
"We are the tribal elders. Weirdo is the mushroom specialist." - Worktroll

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #22 on: 26 April 2012, 17:56:47 »
This is probably my 2nd favorite Celestial, behind the Preta.

I question the Small Cockpit & Compact Engine but over all this one is a beast.

I regards to usage,  I see this one as the "Middle" rank of a C3 Net, the mostly medium ranged energy configs with lots of ECM means I run it forward while keeping the Heavies further out at a walk.

Using 1 of each model I would send in the Light & Medium as spotters, keep this beast in the middle, & leave the other 3 gunboats back out at long range.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Adgar76

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #23 on: 26 April 2012, 18:21:16 »
Re: Archangel vs Osteon

iATMs are so nasty that it is not even remotely a fair fight IMO. Taking the Osteon Prime, the damage goes from 36 @27 hexes to 108 @9, no canon Archangel config can match that.
The hard truth is that Osteon has the Archangel outclassed in durability and firepower, and electronics, which is hardly surprising since the Osteon is the ultimate machine as far as Clantech goes  :o
I'd say the Archangel might win 1 in 4, if that.

Neufeld

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: 26 April 2012, 18:32:05 »
Here's a question: Archangel vs Osteon, any canon configs, equal pilots, no outside teammates. Where does your money fall?

I would bet on Osteon Prime, C and D against any Archangel. Probably B and Jaguar also. Osteon U would clearly win any underwater fight, but would most likely loose on land. Osteon E and F are probably the ones that the Archangel has best chances against. I am too unfamiliar with the rules for Osteon A and G to evaluate their effectiveness.

-- Grendel Roberts
"
We will be used to subdue the Capellan Confederation. We will be used to bring the Free Worlds League to heel. We will be used to
hunt bandits and support corrupt rulers and to reinforce the evils of the Inner Sphere that drove our ancestors from it so long ago."
-- Elias Crichell

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #25 on: 26 April 2012, 18:58:00 »
I'm not up to speed on the celestials so this helpful.

I don't think this thing has alot of chance against an Osteon on paper but I am going out on a limb and say the MD driving might make the difference in a canon fight.

To the patient go the spoils

Kopfjager

• Sergeant
« Reply #26 on: 26 April 2012, 19:31:23 »
IMHO, comparing any of the celestial mechs against clan mechs isn't really a fair comparison. They are pretty clearly made with the C3i Network in mind, and work best as part of a team. That said, the Archangel is probably the ideal commander's ride for MDs due to how hard it is to kill it and its (relative) lack of threat. Also, if someone ignores an Archangel, the easiest way to solve that is to just use it to spot. Let's see if anyone dares ignore it now. ;)

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #27 on: 26 April 2012, 20:28:32 »
IMHO, comparing any of the celestial mechs against clan mechs isn't really a fair comparison. They are pretty clearly made with the C3i Network in mind, and work best as part of a team. That said, the Archangel is probably the ideal commander's ride for MDs due to how hard it is to kill it and its (relative) lack of threat. Also, if someone ignores an Archangel, the easiest way to solve that is to just use it to spot. Let's see if anyone dares ignore it now. ;)
With most Clan mechs I'd agree, but not with the three Society Omnis, they're made to work together (although the Septicemia/Pariah can operate on its own better).

I would bet on Osteon Prime, C and D against any Archangel. Probably B and Jaguar also. Osteon U would clearly win any underwater fight, but would most likely loose on land. Osteon E and F are probably the ones that the Archangel has best chances against. I am too unfamiliar with the rules for Osteon A and G to evaluate their effectiveness.

I agree on the Prime, C, & D. The B can definitely take on an Archangel, the ERLLs can out range an Archangel and if the Archangel starts to get close you can switch to the Heavies and then the Vibroblade if you get close enough. I'm not sure why you think the E will be easier to beat, an ERLL, twin HAG20s and a TC will give an Archangel a very bad time. The only thing the Archangel has in its favor is hoping the E runs out of ammo before it runs out of armor. Same for the F, except I think it will have a little easier time than the E, the 15-point holes from the Gauss, plus the potential head capping give it an edge.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Gryphon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #28 on: 26 April 2012, 21:28:15 »
What really sucks is that such a visually attractive unit is really only used in one short era, and any use outside of that is likely to get the pilot killed by everything the other side has because of sheer history alone. At least that would be the case in any non single shot game. i wonder how much of that ingrained attitude might carry over into such single shot games anyhow?

Neufeld

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: 27 April 2012, 00:27:32 »
I'm not sure why you think the E will be easier to beat, an ERLL, twin HAG20s and a TC will give an Archangel a very bad time. The only thing the Archangel has in its favor is hoping the E runs out of ammo before it runs out of armor. Same for the F, except I think it will have a little easier time than the E, the 15-point holes from the Gauss, plus the potential head capping give it an edge.

Well, neither the E and F does really impress in firepower. Especially the E since the HAGs can not be used for aimed shots and does sandpaper, making them less than ideal weapons against an Archangel. (I just noticed that the F has four tons of ammo for the RAC/5 instead of the two that I saw before, so, yes, I would rate it up a bit.)

-- Grendel Roberts
"
-- Elias Crichell