Author Topic: Total Chaos  (Read 6400 times)

lordxor

• Private
Total Chaos
« on: 22 June 2012, 01:00:59 »
Begin rant:

Just ordered Total Chaos from DriveThruRPG. Not worth $18 in PDF form. Only 3 new units and 30 new scenarios in a 258 page book. I could see a print version being $18, but the PDF... kind of a rip off. Also, there is already a good bit of errata posted in the errata forum. If you are going to force your fan-base to be fact checkers or editors, give them a break on the PDF cost. This is a $8 PDF at best.

:End rant

Recommendation: If you have all the Jihad books and Turning Points, don't bother with this product. You are not missing much as it is just a reprint of the chaos campaign tracks in those products. Yeah, there is a little bit of new stuff sprinkled in, but it is not worth the price.
The original LordXor. Some poser(s) out there using my handle on the interwebs, but I am the one and only.

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
Re: Total Chaos
« Reply #1 on: 22 June 2012, 01:23:34 »
Actually, the book is 63% new writing, and 37% reprinted information.

In addition it contains as complete an information you are likely to get on Operation SCOUR, the conquest of the Blake Protectorate, for now.

With regards,
Øystein
Strategic Assistant

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #2 on: 22 June 2012, 02:25:28 »
30 new scenarios

Earlier today I counted 54 new tracks.

Neufeld

• Captain
  • Raven, Lyran, Horse, Capellan, Canopian, Bear
« Reply #3 on: 22 June 2012, 06:39:37 »
I disagree strongly, the planetary campaign articles makes it totally worth it.

"Real men and women do not need Terra"
-- Grendel Roberts
"
We will be used to subdue the Capellan Confederation. We will be used to bring the Free Worlds League to heel. We will be used to
hunt bandits and support corrupt rulers and to reinforce the evils of the Inner Sphere that drove our ancestors from it so long ago."
-- Elias Crichell

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #4 on: 22 June 2012, 12:04:07 »
Earlier today I counted 54 new tracks.

Actually, I was wrong. I recounted this morning and got 62 new tracks in Total Chaos.

lordxor

• Private
« Reply #5 on: 22 June 2012, 12:15:54 »
Actually, I was wrong. I recounted this morning and got 62 new tracks in Total Chaos.

Well, the cover says over 30. If there are that many, would it not be better to say over 60? If you are going to under-sell the product on the cover, you may as well say, "Meh, there are a few new tracks."  ;D I did not bother to count in detail, so sorry. Even so, $18 is still a little pricey for a PDF of this nature. I bought a few other PDFs from some other games. Full source books (some over 150 pages) with no repeat material for under $6 each.
The original LordXor. Some poser(s) out there using my handle on the interwebs, but I am the one and only.

StuartYee

• Lieutenant
  • "Now, let's add a couple of happy Death Commandos"
« Reply #6 on: 22 October 2012, 20:21:18 »
To be honest, I was never really thrilled with the "news article point of view" format of the Jihad series books.

If you haven't bought any of those books, Total Chaos is a great way to get the "meat" of those books (in terms of scenarios) and much more.
"I can't save his life, it's too embarrassing!" - Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC SSC

Darth Nichos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 28 December 2012, 21:39:19 »
I think this book is awesome; not only does it give me more detail on the various battles of the Jihad, but it covers key characters as well. Thanks a bunch guys for the Book!
To End is to Begin; therefore there are no Endings, only Beginnings

Peace without Liberty is Oppression with Clothing

Kommando

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
  • Sweet justice!
« Reply #8 on: 06 February 2013, 07:32:30 »
Running through the Total Chaos campaign I've come across numerous errors, problems and brutally unbalanced rehashes of tracks already in Blake Ascending etc.

Generally the tracks make far more sense, have more objectives and are more cohesive than the ones presented in TC.

TC seems to suffer from a lot of 'the GM has to make it up' which turns a half hour game planning job into a 4 hour trawl through Sarna and RAT tables.
I cannot see how people are expected to play the invasion of Sian tracks in anything less than a whole weekend per track.

That being said, the Support points and Warchest points rules are some of the most comprehensive and fair revisions ive seen.
What avarice!

Field Agent #522
Battletech in Brisbane, Australia.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 06 February 2013, 11:04:16 »
Running through the Total Chaos campaign I've come across numerous errors, problems and brutally unbalanced rehashes of tracks already in Blake Ascending etc.

Generally the tracks make far more sense, have more objectives and are more cohesive than the ones presented in TC.

TC seems to suffer from a lot of 'the GM has to make it up' which turns a half hour game planning job into a 4 hour trawl through Sarna and RAT tables.
I cannot see how people are expected to play the invasion of Sian tracks in anything less than a whole weekend per track.

That being said, the Support points and Warchest points rules are some of the most comprehensive and fair revisions ive seen.

Sian - Celestial Calamity.
Attacker (Player) - 100% of the player's total force and up to a full battalion of Dragon's Breath mercs.
Defender - 200% of the attacker's total deployed force.

As worded, it's perfectly legal for the attacker to be two 'mechs, bring two Dragon's Breath merc 'mechs, and fight against 8 defenders.
Or you can use Quick-Strike or BattleForce to do a larger combat in less time.

Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Gunbunnie

• Sergeant
  • My first mech was a...
« Reply #10 on: 06 February 2013, 13:12:07 »
I liked Total Chaos. I felt it was worth my money for both the book and PDF.
"Artillerymen believe the world consist of two types of people; other Artillerymen and targets."
- Unknown

Kommando

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
  • Sweet justice!
« Reply #11 on: 08 February 2013, 00:35:50 »
Sian - Celestial Calamity.
Attacker (Player) - 100% of the player's total force and up to a full battalion of Dragon's Breath mercs.
Defender - 200% of the attacker's total deployed force.

As worded, it's perfectly legal for the attacker to be two 'mechs, bring two Dragon's Breath merc 'mechs, and fight against 8 defenders.
Or you can use Quick-Strike or BattleForce to do a larger combat in less time.

Very well, Sian shall be decided over a game of Hockey. We have josef and melinda, and their Dragon buddies pete, steve and alexis.
And we're facing the Kaosan Comets Hockey club.
What avarice!

Field Agent #522
Battletech in Brisbane, Australia.

Fallen_Raven

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 08 February 2013, 10:21:56 »
I actually find Total Chaos to be a much more balanced version of the Jihad campaign. Between the improvements in the Planetary Campaigns (being able to side track for missions and earn some supply points is a huge boon) and the rewriting of several tracks (destroy a light building during a blizzard = wait three turns for it to collapse on its own), the campaign has become more playable and enjoyable.

Plus, $18 for one book with the whole campaign vs buying each and every one of the source books individually? Not a difficult financial debate.
Subtlety is for those who lack a bigger gun.

The Battletech Forums: The best friends you'll ever fire high-powered weaponry at.-JadeHellbringer

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 08 February 2013, 10:48:00 »
Very well, Sian shall be decided over a game of Hockey. We have josef and melinda, and their Dragon buddies pete, steve and alexis.
And we're facing the Kaosan Comets Hockey club.

Whatever you like.  It's a game.  Fit the game to your life, not your life to the game.  Death Commandos will not show up and demand the 'correct' scale of battle.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Cik

• Corporal
« Reply #14 on: 03 March 2013, 11:24:39 »
Whatever you like.  It's a game.  Fit the game to your life, not your life to the game.  Death Commandos will not show up and demand the 'correct' scale of battle.

we might

YOU DIDNT SEE ANYTHING

Degman

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #15 on: 25 March 2013, 19:01:44 »
I've got to admit that I wasn't that thrilled when TC came out, since I've believed that it's mostly a compilation of Jihad campaign tracks. I've bought it early this year and it still took me almost two months to actually start reading it.

And I realized that it's much better than I've originally thought. The warchest system seems much better connected and logical than when it was piecemealed into several books, and it also has a nice, chronological write-up of most of important Jihad events. Great for those who don't have all Jihad books, but also very helpful to those of us who have them, since it's all in one place.

A highly recommended buy  O0

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #16 on: 25 March 2013, 20:42:10 »
I'm with Degman. I didn't think it looked interesting, eventually borrowed it from a friend. Gave it a quick glance, forgot about it, then left it alone for the better part of half a year.

Eventually I wanted to start a new campaign in the Jihad era and I checked it out again. It's really well done. The planetary blurbs are all solid, hard data and the tracks themselves are fun and have enough variety to keep you engrossed. They also scale up pretty well as your force grows larger.

My only complaint would be over a few of the support point costs, but it's nothing huge. Oh, and how many of the options for each track involve moving at a snails pace and/or not being able to hit anything at all. That get's annoying pretty fast.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!