Author Topic: Some questions from a potential newcomer  (Read 4779 times)

Darthvegeta800

• Warrant Officer
  • "Loyalty is it's own reward!"
Some questions from a potential newcomer
« on: 24 February 2011, 09:17:33 »
I noticed that Time of War is out in paper and I had a few questions before I decide to 'purchase' it:

1) Are there any addons planned already? And if so which ones?
2) Does it bring anything to the regular tabletop game? If so what?
3) How 'difficult' is the game? Is it dice roll intensive or far more 'rp' orientated?
4) I read here and there the focus does not lie on the mechbattles is this true?
5) Is there a 'seperate' systems for fighting in mechs or does it use the tabletop ruleset?
6) Does the system allow the Clans to be played 'easily' or does it have a tendency to push you towards the 'traditional' ('good') factions? As is the case in many rpg systems.
7) If I were to try to use the game to draw more people into the Battletech universe, how good is it for that?
8) Are there any facets of the rpg you find noteworthy and make it stand out? Something you yourself believe is a strength of the system?

MY MAIN FACTIONS:
Draconis Combine: Fifth Sword of Light
Clan Jade Falcon: Gamma Galaxy
Clan Ice Hellion: Alpha Galaxy

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
Re: Some questions from a potential newcomer
« Reply #1 on: 24 February 2011, 10:05:53 »

It's been stated a few times that ATOW will be supported. I'm not aware of any announcements about what kind of product will accomplish that.
Meanwhile, there's this:
http://www.classicbattletech.com/index.php?action=products&mode=full&id=323
http://www.classicbattletech.com/index.php?action=products&mode=full&id=324

IMO, yes. The Tactical Addendum offers rules for gameplay with Mechs, vehicles, etc that goes in to more detail than TW, including ATOW's 5 second turns. Additionally, the Special Pilot Abilities section is pretty cool.

3) How 'difficult' is the game? Is it dice roll intensive or far more 'rp' orientated?

It's relatively light on the dice rolling. A lot of energy went towards enhancing the focus on having players RP out their problems.

4) I read here and there the focus does not lie on the mechbattles is this true?

It's as true as you want it to be. If you want the focus on Mechs and MechWarriors, nothing's stopping you. Although if you want to engage in combat using more than a handful of Mechs and vehicles, it would be better to use Total Warfare or Quickstrike or Battleforce depending on the amount of units involved.

5) Is there a 'seperate' systems for fighting in mechs or does it use the tabletop ruleset?

The Tactical Addendum plugs in to Total Warfare, but brings it to a greater degree of detail. Also allows for more skills to get plugged in.

6) Does the system allow the Clans to be played 'easily' or does it have a tendency to push you towards the 'traditional' ('good') factions? As is the case in many rpg systems.

Not sure I understand what you mean with a system pushing towards traditional/good factions, so I don't think I can answer this correctly.
That said, the character generation portion does cover the Clans with as much attention as other BT factions. I can't tell if that's relevant to your question.

7) If I were to try to use the game to draw more people into the Battletech universe, how good is it for that?

Depends on the people involved. If all they care about is stompy robots blasting each other in to tiny bits, then Total Warefare, etc, will appeal to them more.
If they care to experience the BattleTech universe with more detail and personal investment at stake, I think ATOW works quite well to draw in new players.
If you're talking about walking in to a game store and drawing the attention of some newcomers, I'd encourage you to pre-generate characters.

8 ) Are there any facets of the rpg you find noteworthy and make it stand out? Something you yourself believe is a strength of the system?

I'm biased. But I like quite a lot of it.

Paul
The solution is just ignore Paul.

E. Icaza

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 24 February 2011, 14:22:26 »
I noticed that Time of War is out in paper and I had a few questions before I decide to 'purchase' it:

Absolutely.  As someone who has played all versions of MW, this one is by far the easiest to integrate into the tabletop game.

Not difficult at all, IMO.  I'd put it on the lower side of say, Shadowrun for complexity if that helps.  The dice rolling is there, and combat uses it extensively, but most things out of combat are solved by a single dice roll with a Margin of Success/Failure determining how well or poorly you do.

With the Tactical Addendum, the focus can lie on mechbattles, and you can fight entire battles while staying in the AToW system, but it will be slower than a standard CBT game.

More of an addendum really than a separate system and the game can be fairly easily scaled either way.

You can generate a Clan character just as readily and as easily as anyone else.  Although I'm sure that others will quickly jump in here and disagree, I'd suggest building a Clan Trueborn using the Point-Buy system instead of the Lifepaths.  That way you can avoid picking up and having to buy off (or not) "Slow Learner" which is a fairly crippling disadvantage that Trueborns are all saddled with.

That would probably depend on how into the universe your target audience is.  I've found good success in letting people get a few games of CBT under their belt and slowly introducing them to the universe's particulars and see if I can leverage that into playing the RPG, but YMMV.

8) Are there any facets of the rpg you find noteworthy and make it stand out? Something you yourself believe is a strength of the system?

The biggest strength of the system for me is that it is the universe of Battletech.  They've done a good job of capturing the atmosphere and the feel that I think is unique to the CBT setting.
The Clans: the Star League the Inner Sphere deserves, not the one it needs.

MEP

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 24 February 2011, 19:11:56 »

I think AToW offers the most for people playing campaigns. If you play more one-off scenarios with different units every game, it won't offer as much to the regular strategic games.

Like most newer RP systems these days, the focus has shifted pretty strongly toward pure roleplay with as little dice rolling as possible. The most fiddly part of the game is character creation which can take some time and favors people familiar with the universe slightly over people new to the system (unlike, for instance, D&D 4E which favors no one in particular because every character created at level 1 is pretty equally munchy).

Very true. The combat rules definitely focus on people more so than vehicles or mechs. That doesn't mean you can't use the combat rules for other units, but the focus is pretty clearly on individual people. The system integrates quite well with the other strategy systems though. The other nice thing about the combat system in AToW is that it adapts pretty well to mapless play--much better than some other games like the aforementioned 4E.

The rule book itself does not have a ton of source material for any faction really. It's basically just the rules for character creation, combat and roleplay. To get into any of the factions you really need to be familiar with the source material of the universe through the same sourcebooks you would use for Battletech or Battleforce. This doesn't make the clans any easier or harder to play than any other faction. Also, there's really no implication of the Inner Sphere factions being "good" and anyone else being "bad" in the BT universe. About the only really evil badguy faction I can think of would be Word of Blake during the Jihad.

If your friends are more into roleplaying than wargaming, then sure. What makes the game standout the most for me is the integration with the other BT games. I can run a campaign that involves an entire regiment, generate some characters for key players in that regiment and play games at the Battleforce, Battletech or roleplaying level all in the same campaign. We can roleplay diplomatic scenarios or negotiating salvage prices or any number of other details that would normally be a random dice roll in the larger-scale games, and then play the combat scenarios with whatever level of rules are most appropriate for the battle in question.

It's a great way to bring roleplayers into wargaming without freaking them out with the complicated combat rules (complicated relative to your average roleplaying game).
In the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "I drank what?"

Cannon_Fodder

• Warrant Officer
  • Dream of freedom from the 2d6 bell curve.
« Reply #4 on: 24 February 2011, 21:15:43 »
The biggest issue I have had with the system is it is really lethal.

My group is finding that Increased damage capacity of BOD/WILL times 3 and the Increased Armor Effectiveness rules strikes a decent balance.

Avatar by ShadowRaven  Sig banner by HikageMaru

MEP

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 24 February 2011, 22:01:04 »

My group is finding that Increased damage capacity of BOD/WILL times 3 and the Increased Armor Effectiveness rules strikes a decent balance.

I like the lethality personally, but it really depends on what kind of game you want to run I suppose.
In the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "I drank what?"

Cannon_Fodder

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 24 February 2011, 22:28:48 »
It wouldn't be so bad if making a new character didn't feel like doing your taxes.

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 24 February 2011, 23:42:49 »
It wouldn't be so bad if making a new character didn't feel like doing your taxes.

Pointbuy's your friend.

Paul

Darthvegeta800

• Warrant Officer
  • "Loyalty is it's own reward!"
« Reply #8 on: 26 February 2011, 16:37:15 »
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I ordered Strategic Warfare, most likely my next purchase will be this then to add in some rpg elements.

MY MAIN FACTIONS:
Draconis Combine: Fifth Sword of Light
Clan Jade Falcon: Gamma Galaxy
Clan Ice Hellion: Alpha Galaxy

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 28 February 2011, 02:15:30 »

Chiming in a bit later here, sorry.
1) Right after AToW was released, Herb (at least I think it was Herb, definitely a dev though) actually put up a poll and discussion asking us what we would like to see as the first rules extension.  No announcements, though, but we'll likely get something.  Out of the gate, though, AToW gives you plenty of options and Era Report: 3052 includes some detail for making characters for scenarios around the Clan Invasion Era.

2) Everyone else seems to have taken that to mean are they compatible; the answer of course, is absolutely.  As for the ability to bring something to the tabletop game itself, I think it can bring some stuff to it, the pilot abilities are quite interesting and having actual skills, lets you control more actions with more granularity than just roll against piloting or gunnery.  Additionally, if you plan to deploy infantry formations, AToW provides many additional rules for playing them.  I have described AToW as the Tactical Operations for PBIs; it brings alot more neat rules to the table, but you have to be choosy about them since they tend to bog down gameplay.

3)The focus is on the roleplay aspect, so most of the challenge comes from acting out another persona.  Certain skills were actually excised from the previous version to decrease the amount of 'roll'playing

4) The focus is wherever the gamemaster decides it is.  You can play without your characters ever using or engaging mechs or you could roleplay  battles with the AtoW skills and TW rules and have a campaign that is all action.

5) AToW is built to be scaleable.  There is a whole section on bringing heavy units to the field, meant to bridge the gap between personal combat and regular TW scale combat, but if there are no boots on the ground you can use TW rules modified to take your characters other skills into account. (I imagine you could use the quickstrike rule too, but you'll have to modify them yourself.  [BT is fairly flexible I have found])

6)  In BT the are no 'good' factions.  The Word of Blake and Stefan Amaris are the only truly evil factions; everyone else is a shade of grey, and if anyone tries to tell you a faction is 'good' they are using hyperbole to promote their favorite faction.  Anyways, I imagine remembering Zel and proper clan protocol can be challenging if you want to go for 100% accuracy, but that's not a difficulty of the rules; AToW seems to make it fairly easy to play multitudes of characters from all the different factions, the difficulty is doing your research if you want to go for accuracy, but tha may or may not be fun depending on the group.

Anyways it's nice to hear you are planning on getting this.   Do you already have Tactical Operations?  If not, I would highly recommend you purchase it as well.  A time of War integrates quite well with the tabletop rules so the advanced stuff adds some interesting options to your game if you have combat in your RP campaign, plus I can imagine justifying custom units and any advanced/experimental tech on them would be easier.   This is if you plan to bring the big stomping death machines into your campaigns of course.

Cannon_Fodder

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #10 on: 28 February 2011, 20:35:02 »
Does era reports also have a canon Clan Smoke Jaguar Affiliation block?

CitizenErased

• Master Sergeant
  • Eldritch Galactic Princess
    • Dykes Dig Giant Robots
« Reply #11 on: 28 February 2011, 21:09:03 »
Yup! Era Report: 3052 has sub-affiliation blocks for every Clan as of Operation REVIVAL, as well as modified affiliation points values for every other faction around at the time, starting on page 158.
Your friendly neighborhood transgender giant robot enthusiast!

Padrach

• Private
  • Chaptor, the Gentleman Raptor
« Reply #12 on: 01 March 2011, 16:58:55 »

I find the lethality rather refreshing, coming from DnD and it's ilk.  The only issue I have is balancing my player's encounters to be challenging and survivable.  I've gone the route of leaving armor effectiveness and health levels alone, but giving my players a break here or there and having DEATH occur when I say it does, allowing them to exist in a mostly dead state until they get medical attention to fix them.  Oh, and I upped the healing rate by about 7 times, as the default rate is BRUTAL, especially compared to systems with magical healing and the like.
"Yea verily, though I charge through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am driving a house-sized mass of "****** you." - Alacorn crew motto.

Cannon_Fodder

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #13 on: 02 March 2011, 01:13:40 »
Thats funny since I made the healing take longer. Just didn't seam right for a character to be at death's door be 100% in just a couple weeks.

Joshua D

• Corporal
  • A Ranger must be free.
« Reply #14 on: 02 March 2011, 05:14:05 »
Also, Golden Century has affiliation blocks for every clan besides wolverine and widowmaker.  So, AToW's being pretty consistently supported I'd say.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #15 on: 02 March 2011, 05:22:34 »
Fun note: It has rules for the protection against small arms offered by a 'Mech cockpit glass...
So, you can, now, attempt to shoot a 'mechwarrior through his cockpit....

(I hope none of my players saw that...)
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Cannon_Fodder

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #16 on: 02 March 2011, 06:19:43 »
I haven't tried to shoot a MechWarrior through the cockpit glass. I have hit an Elemental in the face through the visor slit with a Zeus Hvy Rifle in a MW3 game.

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 02 March 2011, 08:34:35 »
Thats funny since I made the healing take longer. Just didn't seam right for a character to be at death's door be 100% in just a couple weeks.

Yeah, we actually made healing happen faster than it would in "real life" to enhance playability... =) But it's pretty easy to scale.

Paul

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #18 on: 02 March 2011, 19:59:48 »
... I've gone the route of leaving armor effectiveness and health levels alone, but giving my players a break here or there and having DEATH occur when I say it does, allowing them to exist in a mostly dead state until they get medical attention to fix them.

Interesting idea.

Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.