Author Topic: ’Mech of the Week: SHG-2* Shogun  (Read 21702 times)

Kotetsu

• Captain
’Mech of the Week: SHG-2* Shogun
« on: 21 August 2012, 19:22:18 »
’Mech of the Week: SHG-2* Shogun

Shogun. A warlord who ruled over medieval Japan sometimes with the blessing, sometimes in lieu of the emperor. A great samurai. A revered novel and basis for a strange miniseries. And a BattleMech at the source of one of the most confusing mysteries of the Dragoons. A mystery extending back to its creation.

Frankly, this 85-tonner has had more revisions of its history than some Communist countries…

Originally designed before the Reunification War, plans to build the Shogun were shelved as the intensity of the war broke out, and were not taken up during the subsequent peace. Also, the wide proliferation of the Stalker, which filled the same role, precluded the need at the time. Then came the degeneration of the Star League and the Amaris Coup. Needing more machines, the SLDF revisited the design, making small tweaks to deal with the inadequacies of the Stalker. The result, in 2771 was the SHG-2H.

Mounting the same 255-rated Strand fusion engine and gyro as the Stalker, this allowed for the logistics train of the SLDF to service both designs. The addition of jump jets allows for more maneuverability than its rival. Ferro-Fibrous was used to give the design 98% of maximum protection. This allows the design to withstand five medium laser hits to most front locations, with the legs withstanding four large pulse laser blasts, and the center two Class-20 bursts. Rear locations can take a large laser hit, while the center can withstand just over a PPC blast.

The weapons load consists of a 15-rack LRM on each arm tied to Artemis IV, with three tons of ammo, two 2-pack Streak SRM launchers on each shoulder with one ton of ammo for all of them, an ER PPC in the right torso, a medium laser in the center, and a medium pulse in the head. Thirteen double heat sinks allow for measured firing, As in LRMs and PPC at range, drop the LRMs for the lasers and Streaks in closer. CASE protects each side torso.

While a remarkable machine, only eight production runs were completed before Kerensky took the SLDF (and those machines) on their Exodus. Only a few more were finished before the First Succession War laid waste to the factories on Graham IV. As such the design faded into legend in the Inner Sphere.

Those that made it through the Second Exodus and use by the Clans did receive an upgrade in the early years of the Golden Century. Completely overhauled to use Clantech, the Shogun C. One point of armor was removed from the front center torso, and one point shifted on the sides from front to back. And nine points were removed from each leg. The LRM racks became 20-missile variants (with two tons ammo each), and the Streak launchers were increased to 6-packs (with two tons for the lot). The lasers were also removed so that three heat sinks could be added to help with some of the heat woes.

Quickly relegated to second-line units and Brian Caches, the Shogun did not see much regard until the Dragoon Compromise. As part of their forces returning to the Inner Sphere, a number of Shoguns were downgraded to what was thought to be current standards. Along with a few other details (the Annihilators and Imps for two), they were slightly off.

The SHG-2E model utilizes standard armor plate, which drops one point from the center front and five from each arm. The 15 rack LRMs are retained sans Artemis and one ton of their ammo removed. The particle cannon was downgraded to a standard model, while the Streaks were replaced with two 6-pack standard models. Two tons of each ammo was installed. The lasers were removed, and finally the heat sinks became singles, though one more was added. Strangely, the CASE was retained, which must have caused consternation for any spies going over captured ones. Later, around the Fourth Succession War, the Dragoons “upgraded” their models to the SHG-2F variant by swapping the PPC back to an ER model.

The years were not good for the Dragoon machines. And then the Jihad came and only two remained, both in Word of Blake hands. With the plans somewhere in the radioactive remains of Outreach, the design does seem to be on its last legs (though I still don’t know what the result of that worldwide that supposedly determined who would produce it again was). However, the two-timing female dog (can you tell I hate the Word of Blake?) who unearthed them claimed one for her own. Trisha Ryoko’s model replaces the PPC with a Snub-Nose model, and the LRM racks with Class-5 LB-X autocannons (with two tons of ammo between them). One heat sink was removed.

Using one of these machines is simply a case of picking your spots. Fire the LRMs and PPC at range, and switch out the LRMs for the SRMs (and lasers) when in closer. Or the Dragoon disorientation tactic might work. Have someone (like infantry) spot for you, fire the missiles indirectly, and while the foe is off-balance, jump in and mix it up. With a standard engine and CASE, even an ammo explosion won’t necessarily put you out of the fight (though catastrophic cascades are possible).

While exceedingly rare on the modern battlefield, when you have to fight one hit it with everything you got. While it is a tough shell to crack, continuous fire can do so. If you can target locations, I would choose the right torso. While there aren’t any engine crits to be had there, all variants carry ammo. And since that is also the torso where the PPC is mounted, removing that threat is always a good game plan. Double points if you hit an SRM bin on the Dragoon models carrying Infernos. If you are faster or more maneuverable, get behind him and fire. And while ambushes are not honorable (and sometimes piss off the wrong people), this is one of those cases where it works.

Though if you want to go the Blakist route and just nuke the planet, I guess that works too… (Just don’t tell me you did it.)

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
Re: ’Mech of the Week: SHG-2* Shogun
« Reply #1 on: 21 August 2012, 21:39:04 »
If there's a nastier bad-terrain assault Mech than the Shogun C, I don't want to know about it. That Mech is just a beast- LRMs and PPC at range, then switch to the SRM barrage to finish the target. Since I'm a Streak SRM addict, this is a staple for me in games.

Pity it's beyond merely ugly- I'd love to have one for my collection, but it's just SO bad. :P
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 21 August 2012, 22:15:20 »
Were most Shoguns in the Dragoons' Zeta Battalion?

Southern Coyote

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • Savage Doesn't Even Begin To Describe It
« Reply #3 on: 21 August 2012, 22:19:11 »
The Shogun reminds me a lot of one my favorite assault mechs, the Savage Coyote.  It's a real shame the Shogun didn't see more production.  From the few times I used mine before I sold it (which I'm coming to regret), it was a solid mech, especially in broken terrain.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 22 August 2012, 01:32:00 »
I've always been sort of stunned by the damage that the Shogun C puts out, enough that I wince each time I use it.

The WoB Unique Shogun, the "Trisha" is definitely interesting. The damage is a step down obviously, and it lead me to dismiss it at first, but the design is flexible and winds up being effective against just about anything. Against VTOLs and Fighters it has the LB-Xs, BA and Infantry it can fire off infernos from its SRMs, while vehicles can be critted out from either being hit so many times or from infernos. It only really suffers against modern `Mechs, which isn't that surprising, considering the lack of advanced technology.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #5 on: 22 August 2012, 04:56:16 »
This is one of those 'mechs that I have never used. I need to rectify that situation sometime...
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

monty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 28 August 2012, 20:56:57 »
Were most Shoguns in the Dragoons' Zeta Battalion?

TRO3050U says that "during the Dragoon’s pre-Clan years, Shoguns were found almost exclusively within Zeta Battalion" however I think this refers to the period prior to their first resupply run as the rosters in the WDSB for Misery give

Alpha Regiment 2 Shoguns,
Beta Regiment 2 Shoguns,
Gamma Regiment 1 Shogun,
Delta Regiment 0 Shoguns,
Epsilon Regiment 2 Shoguns,
Support Battalion 0 Shoguns,
Zeta Battalion 3 Shoguns.

Qui desiderat pacem praeparet bellum.
Let him who desires peace prepare for war. (Vegetius)

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #7 on: 29 August 2012, 08:56:38 »
I think I've maybe fought against a Shogun (the original 3050 one) once in twelve years of battletech, and I've used the Shogun (the clan version) once or twice in the same amount of time.  Before Klondike, I didn't really play Dragoons so I didn't use 'em, and the BV on the clan version was so high I never bothered with it.  Seems like it should be pretty good, but I think being of limited faction scope (when the C came out, there was a lot of debate as to whether it was a Clan 'mech or a Dragoon's 'Mech or both) has hurt it from a playing standpoint. 

That said, my Klondike Coyotes will be getting the single one I own  :D

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #8 on: 29 August 2012, 10:47:32 »
I'm really hoping that IWM puts it up for their SLDF special lance pack deal. If not i need to pay the archive fee and get like 6. 4 for a big sldf game event I'm planning for November and 2 for my BloodSpirits.
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

Prince of Darkness

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 29 August 2012, 14:04:45 »
The WoB Unique Shogun, the "Trisha" is definitely interesting. The damage is a step down obviously, and it lead me to dismiss it at first, but the design is flexible and winds up being effective against just about anything. Against VTOLs and Fighters it has the LB-Xs, BA and Infantry it can fire off infernos from its SRMs, while vehicles can be critted out from either being hit so many times or from infernos. It only really suffers against modern `Mechs, which isn't that surprising, considering the lack of advanced technology.

That sounds interesting.  Which book is that in?
Cowdragon:
I'm going to type up your response, print it, fold it in half, and look at it like a I would a centerfold. THAT's how sexy your answer was.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #10 on: 29 August 2012, 16:15:47 »
The sheet's in RS3050 Unabridged Inner Sphere.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 29 August 2012, 17:16:12 »
The fluff comes from TRO 3050 Upgrade, the Notable MechWarrior section of the Shogun. Moonsword already came up with the RS location.

Its not a bad design, it just suffers from the fact that the only advanced technology on it is its weapons and CASE.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 30 August 2012, 10:52:50 »
Shogun on archive return!!!!! /fist pump/ Yes!

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #13 on: 05 September 2012, 19:54:13 »
The "Jumping-Stalker" is up there as one of my favorite Assault mechs.

I've used the 2E & 2H models,  drooled over the C model & fought against the Blake Model w/ HPPC.

Good Mech to have.

it just suffers from the fact that the only advanced technology on it is its weapons and CASE. 
See the 2H, it has DHS & maybe FFA, IIRC.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 05 September 2012, 22:27:33 »
The 2H does have FFA and DHS, along with AIV, erppc and streaks

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
« Reply #15 on: 06 September 2012, 15:13:10 »
I tested the "Royal" Shogun last saturday. It was... underwhelming. Lots of heat issues and a poor heat curve... I could dish a lot of damage but other mechs, like the royal Stalker (hmm.. poor name choice  :D) are better.

We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

Dark_Falcon

• Warrant Officer
  • Over, under, or through.
« Reply #16 on: 06 September 2012, 18:44:09 »
I've always been sort of stunned by the damage that the Shogun C puts out, enough that I wince each time I use it.

The Shogun Trisha will always have a place in my heart, since one of my Shoguns was painted in WoB white to serve as that mech by 3CL for the "Black Widows on Remus" canon game that was run a few years back.  I keep it the mini in a place of honor on my mech shelf, but I do hope to use it again in that config.  It did well in the aforementioned battle, and was still operational at battle's end.
To the utmost!

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 07 September 2012, 00:37:16 »
I tested the "Royal" Shogun last saturday. It was... underwhelming. Lots of heat issues and a poor heat curve... I could dish a lot of damage but other mechs, like the royal Stalker (hmm.. poor name choice  :D) are better.

/boggle ?
Walk + ERPPC + LRM15 + LRM 15 = Heat Neutral
Walk + ERPPC  + ML + MPL + 4 Streak Locks = Heat +7
Jump + ML + MPL + 4 Streak Locks = 18 = Cool 8
How is that "Heat Issues" or a "Poor Heat Curve" ?

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 07 September 2012, 02:18:48 »
/boggle ?

Yeah, I know...None of those combinations are anywhere near 19 heat!

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 07 September 2012, 04:10:42 »
Yeah, I know...None of those combinations are anywhere near 19 heat!
Why 19? Doesn't it carry 13 DHS?

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 08 September 2012, 13:20:38 »
Why 19? Doesn't it carry 13 DHS?

19 overheat: when you start rolling for Ammo Explosion...the only point where overheating becomes
unacceptable if your 'mech carries ammo.

Kotetsu

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: 08 September 2012, 15:27:41 »
19 overheat: when you start rolling for Ammo Explosion...the only point where overheating becomes
unacceptable if your 'mech carries ammo.

Knowing some people who think 5 overheat is unacceptable, it might be problematic for some.

My line tends to be at shutdown checks, since I have a habit of flubbing them.

(Of course, if you are carrying infernos, 10 could be an issue too...)

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 08 September 2012, 15:32:10 »
In general I try to keep it at or below 10.  If it gets that high, I'm just losing too much from targeting penalties and movement penalties to be as effective as possible.  A single turn spike higher than that is acceptable, but I hate going for several turns higher than 8 or 9.  Even the spike heat I try to keep low unless my unit is a fast jumper.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
« Reply #23 on: 08 September 2012, 15:52:39 »
/boggle ?

Well... add several streak hits more and several ERPPC more, too... I'm afraid I learnt the same tricks that StCptMara >:D >:D and could get confortable with 10+ heat level. The problem is that it didn't enough damage for such a burden. That's the heat issues and the poor heat curve problem.

If you want to deal a lot of damage with this mech you may end with a lot of heat unlike other mechs, like the Stalker (Royal), that can deal a lot of damage without 10+ heat levels.

P.S. For me, the maximun is 12. 13 means a +2 to hit and this is bad mojo. And 14 can be shutdown... so I avoid it until I'm pretty sure I'm going to die... or I'm in a fast jumper that will be lucky enough to stand at the end of the turn.   
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

Kotetsu

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: 08 September 2012, 18:30:52 »
In general I try to keep it at or below 10.  If it gets that high, I'm just losing too much from targeting penalties and movement penalties to be as effective as possible.  A single turn spike higher than that is acceptable, but I hate going for several turns higher than 8 or 9.  Even the spike heat I try to keep low unless my unit is a fast jumper.

My usual preference is between 9 and 12. TSM and melee weapon does that.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 09 September 2012, 10:25:30 »
Well... add several streak hits more and several ERPPC more, too... I'm afraid I learnt the same tricks that StCptMara >:D >:D and could get confortable with 10+ heat level. The problem is that it didn't enough damage for such a burden. That's the heat issues and the poor heat curve problem.

If you want to deal a lot of damage with this mech you may end with a lot of heat unlike other mechs, like the Stalker (Royal), that can deal a lot of damage without 10+ heat levels. 

I'm still not 100% sure what your saying about streak hits & ERPPC & damage/heat.
The levels I listed were assuming 100% streak locks so anytime you miss it will actually reduce the heat level.

The only time I see the Stalker as having an advantage is at Long Range where 2x ERLL does beat 1x ERPPC but it also overheats any movement where the Shogun can walk for free.

In close Streak SRMs beat Medium Lasers in Heat/Damage ratio.
Streak = 2 Heat = 4 Damage = 200%
MedLas = 3 Heat = 5 Damage = 167%
None of which then touches on the ML's missing v/s Streaks won't shoot.

The only real issue I see w/ the Shogun-2H is the 2nd ton of Streak ammo.
It really should go to LRM ammo for some extra longevity.
Other than that its a brute.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 09 September 2012, 13:33:12 »
The only real issue I see w/ the Shogun-2H is the 2nd ton of Streak ammo.
It really should go to LRM ammo for some extra longevity.
Other than that its a brute.

Isn't the Shogun 2H a legacy design from when Streak 2's could fire Infernos?

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #27 on: 09 September 2012, 14:08:47 »
No, the 2H is the "original" Star League version that first appears in Operation: Klondike.  While the other Shoguns are earlier in real-life, they are all supposed to be based on that one... I think  :D

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #28 on: 09 September 2012, 14:55:06 »
Isn't the Shogun 2H a legacy design from when Streak 2's could fire Infernos?
Not even close, hehe, its the newest (released) Shogun we have in canon.

No, the 2H is the "original" Star League version that first appears in Operation: Klondike.  While the other Shoguns are earlier in real-life, they are all supposed to be based on that one... I think  :D
What he said ^^

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #29 on: 09 September 2012, 15:56:48 »
the Shogun looks kind of like an older brother to the Jagermech that gave up its silly autocannon fixation. it's an interesting design overall, what with the fins, and the paired missile arms ending in what look like that ramming core the Zeus has.

it's an absolute shame it's not more widely spread, but the 'goons seem to love keeping toys to themselves. this game could use more tailfins on 'mechs. and tanks. and battle armor.
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

Register