Author Topic: Eclipse review?  (Read 3700 times)

Alex Keller

• Captain
Eclipse review?
« on: 25 August 2012, 18:22:39 »
Has anyone read the new story that is out following the Crescent Hawks?  Is it any good? Thanks!

John_Hawk

• Sergeant
Re: Eclipse review?
« Reply #1 on: 18 September 2012, 20:22:58 »
I downloaded it and read it over the last two days.  It's an interesting story set in the Jihad, but some of the more "meaty" parts felt a little glossed over to me.  It tells a good story of a brief contract against the Blakists, and has some really top notch battle sequences.

It's the areas where the main character, Jeremiah Youngblood, is thinking about the Crescent Hawks and their current incarnation that things seemed a little muddled to me.  You get a lot of references to the Crescent Hawks and Jason Youngblood as lessons that he taught his son Jeremiah, but it still felt a little vague on the details, especially for a guy like me who played through Crescent Hawk's Inception and vaguely recalls some of the details of Crescent Hawk's Revenge.  I've tracked the Hawks over the years with a modicum of interest largely generated by having played "Jason Youngblood" in the games, and delighted at seeing Jason on Luthien a few years ago in the diorama.

Incidentally, I should mention I have no issues with the video games being "not canon."  They were great video games, but I think the authors have a chance to tell a much more richer and detailed story than existed in the games. 

As someone who dearly, dearly misses the novels and the "flesh" they put on the story, I found it both refreshing but also a little frustrating.  I felt like the answers to a lot of my questions were just out of reach, to the point where I had to go to sarna to try and refresh my memory.  Partially, that could be because I'm now 37 and still trying to pour through years of missed material, but I think I might just like things explained with a bit more clarity.

That can also come in a sequel story, and I'm very much looking forward to reading more about the Crescent Hawks.  This felt very much like the first portion of a greater story, and I would love to see both the present and past unfold, so that we can see more of them.

Fallen_Raven

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 18 September 2012, 20:58:07 »
Eclipse was a good read, and I enjoyed the feel of a fast raid by a highly mobile force.
Subtlety is for those who lack a bigger gun.

The Battletech Forums: The best friends you'll ever fire high-powered weaponry at.-JadeHellbringer

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 18 September 2012, 23:03:06 »
Thanks.  Would you say this is young adult fiction still?  Or more adult?  I'm 30 now, and it's hard to read some of the old BT books...

John_Hawk

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 19 September 2012, 10:26:44 »
If I were working in Barnes and Noble, I'd put it on the Sci-Fi/Fantasy shelves alongside the Star Wars/Star Trek books.  If you'd pick up one of those, I think you'll enjoy it, though YMMV. 

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 27 September 2012, 22:09:25 »
Ah, so more "young adult sci-fi" than "adult sci-fi."  Thanks!

Register