Author Topic: Monbvol's AToW sheet and other related projects  (Read 38363 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Monbvol's AToW sheet and other related projects
« Reply #60 on: 29 July 2011, 16:57:56 »
Which version of office are you using?  I'm using 2010 now, and I haven't seen a problem yet, but then I may be looking in the wrong places.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #61 on: 29 July 2011, 23:13:57 »
I have only been able to test it with Office 2001 and 2007.

So if 2010 works I'll take what I can get.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #62 on: 05 October 2011, 09:55:49 »
And I think I've figured out the problem for Excel compatibility.  At least mostly.

It was in how I was handling the attribute bonus lookup.  I found a simpler way to handle it and it eliminated all those nasty #N/As and incorrect skill rank issues.  I still run into problems with using validation rules from other tabs but I can go ahead and see about replacing those with named ranges and I may well be finally done with this project.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #63 on: 05 October 2011, 10:15:06 »
And fixed, at least in MS Office 2010.  So those of you that have been missing out because I was being frankly an idiot for making things more complicated than they needed to be check out the link in the first post of this thread and have at.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #64 on: 01 January 2012, 22:30:56 »
Lately with all the shifting gears of Liam's Ghost's campaigns I've just been noticing certain things just seem to be off in my spreadsheet so I've started doing some auditing of my spreadsheet.  So far I've noticed for Module build it does not correctly charge for Affiliations.  Since I have no good way to charge for flexible XP I know the modules that have flexible XP will be charged differently but the good news is so far the 1st Stage Modules all seem to be correct.

I'm debating as to if I should go ahead and fix this since Point Buy still works just fine and most of the other changes I would like to make will almost certainly require a ground up rebuild anyway.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #65 on: 27 January 2012, 11:15:10 »
Well since Megaupload is having legal troubles I'm forced to pull my link.  So I hope everyone who wanted it got the most recent version.

I may take this opportunity to start work on a redesign.  It might be nice to properly support House Rules and make the Fields actually work right.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #66 on: 25 March 2012, 11:22:50 »
Back in business folks.  Trying Mediafire.  Link is in the first post.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #67 on: 05 April 2012, 20:24:23 »
Good to see folks are still trying my sheet out.

I added a new helpful hint to the first post to help with using the sheet.

I've detected an accounting issue so if I get off my lazy duff I will see about fixing it.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #68 on: 05 April 2012, 20:30:47 »
Okay I got off my lazy duff.

The accounting error was in not correctly deducting the Affiliation costs from the remaining XP.  Quick enough fix.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #69 on: 21 April 2012, 22:11:30 »
Don't be afraid to keep giving me feed back about how easy or hard it is to actually use this sheet of mine.

Things I'm still baffled about how to fix:
Auto-sorting the Print Tab. -Every method I know how to use does not seem to not save with the sheet.
Auto setting Print Range. -Biggest problem is the possible print range is always going to be different with each character.
Correctly repeating modules. -The only idea I have for this is such a mess that I'm not sure I will ever make it happen.
Self optimization. -There are two problems here.  I'd have to fix a lot of the layout of the worksheet for it to even be possible and even then it is an optional step and as such it is permisable to "bank" extra XP in certain skills.  Indeed this may actually be the better approach just so the sheet is a bit more usable over a campaign and a character gains XP in certain skills.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #70 on: 04 May 2012, 10:08:18 »
Okay I guess no one is having any issues with my sheet and it is perfect the way it is. ;D

Seriously unless a few people start speaking up I am going to just leave my sheet the way it is for the foreseeable future.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #71 on: 04 May 2012, 20:52:09 »
If I had a game...

Might be best to just set it aside for now until more people look and play with it, or something massive pops out at you.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #72 on: 04 May 2012, 21:31:00 »
I can certainly use it as it is and it may be a bit before my group gets back to AToW.  Overall though yeah I'm not likely to change anything.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #73 on: 05 May 2012, 06:37:24 »
Plus I'm an Excel user so it seems a little wonky when I tried it earlier...all of the dropdowns just had 0's in them, or were blank, or had to scroll down for a while, and then the data was just numbers. :)

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #74 on: 05 May 2012, 12:38:08 »
Huh.  Thought I had fixed that problem.

Of course now that I don't have ready access to Office newer than 2001 testing is going to be a might bit problematic.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #75 on: 05 May 2012, 20:25:15 »
Well, I used the link in the first post, unless I'm missing something...

Really wish Open Office and Excel were slightly more compatible :)

Woody

• Recruit
« Reply #76 on: 05 May 2012, 21:35:04 »
I too have the same problem with Excel on the drop downs; I believe I've tried excel 2003/2007, but don't quote me on that.  I think Monbvol quoted 2010 was his test case that showed it worked..  It could just be a version error.  It looked to me that if you grabbed the base version, and then just remapped the dropdowns, that it would work.  In fact I did that for a few of the dropdowns and fiddled with it some.  Unfortunately, I didn't see the value in continuing to mod the sheet, in parallel with the base version..

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #77 on: 05 May 2012, 23:15:02 »
Weird.  I'm using cell ranges for the data validity/drop downs which should work just fine in Office 2003/2007.  I didn't even upload an older version of the file this time.

I'll keep at it to see if I can figure out what is going on still.

Woody

• Recruit
« Reply #78 on: 06 May 2012, 13:25:18 »
So, just re-downloaded to check.  Office 2007. Upon freshly opening, I go to cell b10 (affiliation) and hit the dropdown, and don't see anything.  If I look at the data validation it is pointing to "=Affiliations!d43:d1048569".

On the affiliations tab, column D is essentially blank.    It could be pointed to column A or E (don't recall which ) and it would start to work, picking up the names, and then being able to track exp etc.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #79 on: 06 May 2012, 13:39:56 »
The one I uploaded and sitting on my computer show the data validation rule as pointing to a cell reference of $Affiliations.E2:E52 for cell B10.  Which should work just fine as Office 2007 can take a cell range for data validation.

Curiouser and curiouser.

Though I didn't set any error codes for the data validation, I only did that to prevent typos.  So if you enter what it expects it should still work.

Woody

• Recruit
« Reply #80 on: 06 May 2012, 15:27:34 »
Yah, all (or many of) the data validations in 2007 point to very large ranges like the one I mentioned.  Which along with the column being off suggests that maybe a bit is being slipped or something.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #81 on: 06 May 2012, 17:39:59 »
Problem at this juncture is how do I fix it since I don't have anything newer than MS Office 2001 and what Open Office shows me should work in MS Office.

I should elaborate a bit further for context.

When I was last employed I managed to have access to MS Office 2010 at work and thanks to that I managed to hash out a lot of other major problems for compatibility and before I was unemployed it worked fine but I have made a couple small changes on the sheet while unemployed so evidence leads me to believe either something in the tinkering I did has fouled something up or there is something really weird going on here.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #82 on: 09 May 2012, 17:47:30 »
I know I promised some time back I'd type this up and post it and this thread actually seems more suited to the nature of what I finally typed up since it is inherent to the core of AToW and not my House Rules.

Any rate what I'm rambling on about is I went through with a calculator mostly because it was easier to use to keep track of the XP for all the Stage 4 modules you could repeat and how much XP they reward relative to what you spent to repeat them.

I have no qualms about sharing this because it is not like I'm sharing anything more specific than what you can find for free in the Table of Contents except for which modules can be repeated anyway.

On to the list.

Agitator -45 XP
Civilian Job 0 XP
Clan watch Operative +55 XP
Combat Correspondent -195 XP
Comstar/Word of Blake service -320 XP
Covert Operations -125 XP
Dark Caste 0 XP
Explorer -140 XP
Goliath Scorpion Seeker -50 XP
Guerrilla Insurgent -105 XP
Merchant -50 XP
Ne'er-do-well -295 XP
Organized Crime +50 XP
Scientist Caste Service -50 XP
Solaris Insider -345 XP
Solaris Games -245 XP
Star League Department of Mega Engineering -400 XP
Think Tank -265 XP
Tour of Duty Periphery -175 XP
Tour of Duty Inner Sphere -375 XP
Tour of Duty Clan -400 XP
To serve and Protect -275 XP
Travel -90 XP

List updated due to acquisition of Era Report 2750 and the new module introduced.
« Last Edit: 23 May 2012, 17:56:15 by monbvol »

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #83 on: 11 May 2012, 22:37:40 »
I managed to get some time on my Dad's computer which has a more modern MS Office and according to it I have fixed the data validation issues and I even managed to fix the attribute bonus lookup problem I noticed.

So hopefully it will now be more fully cross platform now.

Link in first post updated.

Thanks Woody and Maelwys for your assistance.  Feel free to let me know if anything else winds up not working right in MS Office.

Woody

• Recruit
« Reply #84 on: 12 May 2012, 16:08:28 »
Monbvol-
This is much better for us M$oft Office users.  However, in module 3 and beyond (3-10), the validation range needs to be something like "=RealLifeList".  Right now it looks like it doesn't have the "=" and maybe even a typo in the string.
The first two work, and the affiliations look like they work.  Quick fix, and should really make this thing sing for MS users.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #85 on: 12 May 2012, 17:16:46 »
Weird looks like it didn't save my new validation rule for some reason.

Oh well.  Fixed and I'll upload and correct the link in the first page as soon as I'm done typing this.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #86 on: 13 May 2012, 21:21:04 »
Okay I did find some Phenotype problems brought to my attention in my House Rule thread.  Got those fixed.  I do have a data entry error to track down what it is actually supposed to be before I go ahead and re-upload a new version.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #87 on: 13 May 2012, 21:28:35 »
It still needs a lot of work before it gets to full AToW compliance but it is probably as close as I can get barring more data entry errors.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #88 on: 23 May 2012, 17:59:41 »
Okay I updated my list of repeatable modules but I haven't included the new module from ER:2750 in my spreadsheet.

It really comes down to the simple fact that all the alternate era stuff is a bit of a pain to incorporate into a spreadsheet.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #89 on: 13 July 2012, 13:22:10 »
By request and just me getting off my duff and doing it I have dug up my infamous 200 questions.

I suppose I'll repeat the story here for clarity.

In the gaming group I am a part of there used to be a terrible pattern of RPG characters being little more than names and stats with no thoughts given to their background or other fluffy bits.  Even I got a bit fed up with it so whenever it was time for me to run a campaign I started asking a lot of questions.  It was something of a joke that I got up to as many as 200.  After some years I've finally typed up the list of questions I asked and it didn't take much doing to get to 200.

So without further ado my questions.

*updated the questions*
« Last Edit: 15 July 2012, 11:40:59 by monbvol »

Register