Author Topic: A Time of War Companion  (Read 15727 times)

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
A Time of War Companion
« on: 24 September 2012, 12:42:52 »
http://www.battlecorps.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=3049

So who has the Companion?  What do you think?
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Stormcrow

• Major
  • Art by Shimmering Sword
Re: A Time of War Companion
« Reply #1 on: 24 September 2012, 12:57:55 »
Just picked it up and skimming it now.
Commandant Otto Maurus, ARWH-1Z ArcHammer, Maurus' Minutemen
Captain Obadiah Sykes, OSR-5FCR Ostroc, Second Filtvelt Citizens Militia

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. - Confucius
Noli Timure Messorem
May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. - Voltaire
Wielder of the Ferro-Carbide Bat of DOOM™

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #2 on: 24 September 2012, 18:52:06 »
“They’re pulling back! How cute!”

I do like the expanded list of abilities. Heaven help my group games if we decide to pick some of these.
The rank to title chart is nice and apparently somebody wanted that. In fact all the rank charts are nicely done especially the new Clanner one!
I've only gotten as far as the special abilities but the artwork is a mix between older pics and some new stuff which is nicely done.
There's a pic of a green "Samurai" style elemental suit that is just beautiful.

I haven't read the story yet in the book, that will be during my third or fourth pass through it.

Edit:
DEVELOPER’S NOTE: ALIENS IN BATTLETECH
Thank you! Exactly what I was thinking guys! Perfect!
« Last Edit: 24 September 2012, 19:08:54 by Atlas3060 »
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #3 on: 24 September 2012, 21:15:11 »
Tag
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

kroner

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Private
  • the artist formerly known as Vorpal
« Reply #4 on: 24 September 2012, 21:29:49 »
Reading it now.

I have to admit the Drac tatoo on the martial arts dude on page 18 is rawsome.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 25 September 2012, 00:25:25 »
I sort of wish more of the rank charts had something like "This is where MechWarriors start" but I can understand how that could lead to issues "Wait, I have to spend 500 points to get to the proper rank?"

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 25 September 2012, 03:57:11 »
I've started reading it.  Up to the special abilites section.
The ranks section was something I've been wanting, but I wish it would say what ranks you have to be in each sovereignty/group to do things such as be a mechwarrior, ASF pilot, vehicle crew member or vehicle commander.

The equvalency table give O0 for Mechwarrior and ASF pilot, but there are plenty of groups that have enlisted mechwarriors and FRR even has a specific rank name in the enlisted section.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #7 on: 25 September 2012, 04:48:10 »
The equvalency table give O0 for Mechwarrior and ASF pilot, but there are plenty of groups that have enlisted mechwarriors and FRR even has a specific rank name in the enlisted section.

Did you look across that chart? It had the enlisted ranks going from below O0. O0, or E8 corresponds to Mechwarrior/Pilot.
Yes, you COULD say that "Wait...that is on the officers chart, and it has the Lance XO for E-8." However, if they were
not putting them for those purposes, then why have them line up?

You could also look at the ranks as shown on the other charts. E7 is "Mechwarrior Sgt" for the Fed Suns, while Rasalhague
has the Kavelrist rank at E5 open only to 'mechwarriors. We see 'Mechwarrior Sgt show up in the Star League rank table at e8.
Adept shows up as O1 for Comstar, and this was the lowest rank we ever saw a 'mechwarrior have in Comstar/WoB. Sergeant is the lowest rank allowed to be a 'Mechwarrior for the Lyrans, and that is an E5, the Combine only had Officer 'mechwarriors, so those start at O0/O1, Lance Corporal/San-Ben-Bing is the rank where we see a break in CapCon, so it can be assumed that at E5 there, someone can become a 'Mechwarrior, since what other ranking among 'mechwarriors would be the equivalent of an "infantryman"? Only Marik could I not figure out..most seem to start at E5, with FedSuns being E7, Star League E8, and Combine at O0/O1
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 25 September 2012, 22:55:11 »
Some entities have specific Mechwarrior ranks, but not every one lists what ranks there are for Mechwarriors, and even the ones with Mechwarrior specific ranks don't outright state that is the minimum rank needed;  they also don't all conveniently line up with the equivalence table (the mechwarrior specific ranks are mostly below the E8 listed as Mechwarrior on the general table).

There are also even fewer references to other positions like ASF pilot, specific large craft or vehicle positions, or if Battle Armor troops have different rank levels.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 26 September 2012, 00:04:22 »
You could always go to the AToW Rules Question sub-forum....I do agree that it is something that should be
explicitly stated, especially since we know each faction has their own different minimum rank...

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #10 on: 26 September 2012, 01:48:56 »
Hello,

DEVELOPER’S NOTE: ALIENS IN BATTLETECH
Thank you! Exactly what I was thinking guys! Perfect!

You are welcome.

Thank you,

- Herbert Beas
  BattleTech
  Catalyst Game Labs

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 26 September 2012, 02:05:53 »
Anyone figured out how exactly the Variable-Pulse Laser Rifle works, in terms of how it's range modifiers are?

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #12 on: 26 September 2012, 02:56:02 »
Tag

You're it!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

As to the book I'm very happy with the merc section and I can't wait to really sink my teeth into the rest of this book this weekend. Out of curiosity has the omega invictus been mentioned elsewhere?
Light Assault Group - An Orwellian appelation applied by the Draconis Combine to troops haphazardly equipped with whatever expendable equipment was lying around the maintenance yard, for the purpose of throwing their lives away for the greater glory of the Dragon, see also Human Bombs.

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #13 on: 26 September 2012, 06:35:19 »
Hello,

Anyone figured out how exactly the Variable-Pulse Laser Rifle works, in terms of how it's range modifiers are?

Well, darn. That's a minor error, but only insomuch as it doesn't fit how we handled the Sternsnacht Claymore (which replaces the full normal range modifiers with its own). In the case of the VPL Rifle, you're supposed to *add* the weapon's range modifiers to the normal range modifiers used in play. So--Sternsnacht Claymore style--it should read "Range Modifiers: +0/-1/-2/-2".

Hopefully, that helps.

Thank you,

- Herbert Beas
  BattleTech
  Catalyst Game Labs

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 26 September 2012, 06:55:14 »
Hello,

Well, darn. That's a minor error, but only insomuch as it doesn't fit how we handled the Sternsnacht Claymore (which replaces the full normal range modifiers with its own). In the case of the VPL Rifle, you're supposed to *add* the weapon's range modifiers to the normal range modifiers used in play. So--Sternsnacht Claymore style--it should read "Range Modifiers: +0/-1/-2/-2".

Hopefully, that helps.

Thank you,

- Herbert Beas
  BattleTech
  Catalyst Game Labs

Thank you for your explaination. I thought I was misreading it because for a moment I thought it had +0/+1/+2/+4. Which is frankly absurd.

Colonel Voss

• Private
« Reply #15 on: 27 September 2012, 23:32:38 »
This book is dangerous for my nose. Was reading through and drinking some milk. Read 'Mad Cat, corner pocket' and started laughing so hard, I had milk coming out my nose. Later on in the day the cyber enchanced cat girl picture got me laughing so hard again I splashed coke up my nose.

Over all, a great buy. I think it fleshes out AToW extremely well. Two thumbs and one nose up. ;D

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 28 September 2012, 10:41:32 »
Reading it now.

I have to admit the Drac tatoo on the martial arts dude on page 18 is rawsome.

If I ever decide to get inked, I'll seriously consider that.

theothersarah

• Warrant Officer
  • Girls just wanna have fun
« Reply #17 on: 29 September 2012, 11:46:35 »
The Companion has made me quite a bit more enthusiastic about using AToW. It fills in a lot of holes that I felt the base game had. I use GURPS for other games and was strongly considering switching over to that for BattleTech RP, but now I feel that AToW is just about as good as you can get for a BattleTech RPG.

Also I wasn't one of the MoC cyber-catgirl people but it amuses me enough that I'm going to have to find an excuse for plopping that into my game at some point.

Deathknight69

• Captain
  • Supernaturalizing the universe !!
« Reply #18 on: 17 January 2013, 00:55:54 »
So what are the conversion rules for MW3rd to AToW?

Thx, D69
"Remember kids, Ammo explosion's are as much fun as friendly fire and incoming fire has the right-of-way." - ShadowSeraph
Avatar by Wombat, Thanks again to the blue fuzzy marsupial of wanton destruction.
"SRM Carrier. It's actual combat value is irrelevant; the face of a player when one of their 'mechs takes a point-blank shot from one is priceless!  ^-^" - Fireangel
"What's a little canon-deviation amongst friends and enemies" - Self
Quote from: DarkSpade on August 10, 2022, 15:23:40
If you think about it, the perfect merc lives long enough to complete the objective, but not long enough to get paid.
Well, there's an Obi-Wan level point of view comment for you ...  xp
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 15:35:06 by Wolf72 »

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
  • Also known as the mighty Iron Liz
« Reply #19 on: 17 January 2013, 01:18:29 »
It's not perfect by any stretch, but I think it's safe to say that if you like A Time of War, you'll probably like the Companion. 

I'm personally drawn more to the story side of a system, and I liked how it went into more detail with how military and noble rank is seen amongst different factions.  With peace breaking out post-Jihad, it seems more likely that distant realms will now have more interaction.  The monsters and moving plants were also a very nice touch, which will definitely help in an exploratory type game.  Finally, I enjoyed how you can now have lifepath bonuses or detriments to your xp like the way they had in 3rd edition.  It's nice to have those back, even if they can be a bit game break-y for character creation.

Major noticeable downside?  There's no Catgirl package for cybernetics!  There's a mermaid, naga, and centaur, but sadly, no catgirl.  It's not that hard to put one together yourself assuming a few liberties, but that seemed like an obvious one.

Anyway, great work!  I'd say it was worth the 30 dollars I paid for it, and I'll more than likely get a lot of mileage out of it.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 17 January 2013, 02:37:07 »
So what are the conversion rules for MW3rd to AToW?

Thx, D69

A very large number of pages that it would be wrong to put into here. Buy the book, as I am sure you will find everything
else in it useful.

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #21 on: 17 January 2013, 09:35:36 »
Major noticeable downside?  There's no Catgirl package for cybernetics!  There's a mermaid, naga, and centaur, but sadly, no catgirl.  It's not that hard to put one together yourself assuming a few liberties, but that seemed like an obvious one.
True, but if you look at the genetic mutations chart there's ears and tail.
Combine that with some of those Mandarin nails the Cappies use and you've got long claws.
Tada! Cat girl.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #22 on: 17 January 2013, 10:13:54 »
Hello,

Oh, come on! You mean between the too-obvious mutation that gives moving ears and a tail (I can't believe I let that slide like that), and the combination of prosthetic beauty/horror enhancements plus a tail and retractable claw mod for prosthetic limbs? If your GM has trouble making catgirls in BT, he's just not trying! (And why do they always have to be cat GIRLS anyway? Nobody wants to role-play Lion-o?)

Seriously, after the way more exotic centaur and merfolk adaptations (which define how extra limbs or aquatic functionality are added to such things and address specific canonical references to centaurs and merfolk in BT history), the number of possible prosthetic-based mods to create other artificial anthromorphs/extraterrestrials in our humans-only universe was dizzying. So much so, that it was far easier to simply toss in an image and some basic parts to give the players something to work with. A "catfolk" or "werefolk" kit would really just be the same stock combo of cosmetic beauty/horror mods, a prosthetic tail, and (optional) claw mods for cosmetically modified arm/leg prosthetics. Guaranteed that if we specified one "species", we'd be asked "what about this other species?" even though it is functionally identical.

Anyway, great work!  I'd say it was worth the 30 dollars I paid for it, and I'll more than likely get a lot of mileage out of it.

Glad to hear! Though it took longer than we planned (and I hear my editing was slightly off this time), we actually had a blast this one. Pity I'm still finding stuff I wanted to put in but didn't!

Thanks,

- Herbert Beas

Garner

• Sergeant
« Reply #23 on: 17 January 2013, 10:36:14 »
Pity I'm still finding stuff I wanted to put in but didn't!

What's that, Cap'n? A companion to the Companion you say?

Where's that 'shut up and take my money' meme when you need it?

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
  • Also known as the mighty Iron Liz
« Reply #24 on: 17 January 2013, 16:37:52 »
Don't get me wrong Herb, I noticed the parallels and ability to put one together quite easily.  In fact, I've done just that in another thread:

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,26145.30.html

Although admittedly, it is much easier in points and backstory to play a mutant than a cybernetic-enhanced feline hybrid (of course, that's pretty much true across the board).  Still, I do appreciate the expansion of those rules as well as adding the Beauty Enhancement and Horror Enhancement surgeries.  By putting those there it helps explain cosmetic surgery in the universe a bit better.

Though like I said, it was nice to see the female bias in the Magistracy brass and how a DCMS officer is generally awarded more respect in other realms due to the level of discipline.  And maybe it's the girl in me, but I also appreciated the fashion appropriate places for things.  I had a discussion with a friend of mine who was insistent that a well-dressed noble would not be out of place even at lower-class functions.  I'm glad to see the mechanics added there to help clarify things.

Again though, nice work! 

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 18 January 2013, 11:13:53 »
Glad to hear! Though it took longer than we planned (and I hear my editing was slightly off this time), we actually had a blast this one. Pity I'm still finding stuff I wanted to put in but didn't!

Thanks,

- Herbert Beas

AToW Companion Supplemental? AToW Companion II? We can always use more AToW love!

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #26 on: 18 January 2013, 13:17:04 »
Hello,

I honestly don't like the idea of just releasing a series of supplements so generic they just get numbers, though. Plus, I don't think I left out quite enough to fill the same volume of space....

Thanks,

- Herbert Beas

Garner

• Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: 18 January 2013, 13:35:40 »
Personally, I'd quite happily buy mini-PDFs, a bit like your Experimental TRO concept, if they added more content.

Maybe more life modules, or new ways to introduce some randomisation into the module progression (if that wouldn't feel like taking a step backwards to 3rd edition).

Era specific material would also interest me a great deal - such as tweaks to affiliations or equipment lists.

Slap a 5-7.50 price tag on it and issue one or two a year. I'll bite.

Garner

• Sergeant
« Reply #28 on: 18 January 2013, 13:48:29 »
Actually, now that my brain is in full on wishlist mode, maybe you could look at a 20-25 page booklet on themes as per the XTROs, be it era, faction, or rules options each time?

A Time of War Eras: 3020's
1-2 pages repackaged from the universe introduction material
3-4 pages on adjusted affiliations
8-10 pages on changes to life modules or traits relevant to the era
1-2 pages for revised personal equipment tables, basically just hacking out everything not relevant from the AToW tables
1-2 pages for some particular adventure hooks that tie into the late succession wars?

Heck, just include the occasional blank rectangle and I'll draw my own stick figure artwork in my copy when I print it out.

A Time of War Options: SPAs and Traits
Half a dozen new uses for existing SPAs and Traits, plus two or three new ones... An adventuer hook and a short story? I'll bite.

A Time of War Options: Life Paths
When you really don't mind if your next fifteen characters die during their Stage 2 module choice, just give me an excuse to roll my dice some more!

A Time of War Factions: [any old faction]
Just ten to 15 pages about character and adventure archetypes from the key eras for the given faction.

Seriously, I'll preorder every last one of these.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #29 on: 18 January 2013, 13:53:44 »
Hello,

I honestly don't like the idea of just releasing a series of supplements so generic they just get numbers, though. Plus, I don't think I left out quite enough to fill the same volume of space....

Thanks,

- Herbert Beas

You could always look at what SR does with their "Shadowrun Options series" (currently: Way of the Adept and Way of the Samurai),
as well. Frankly, though, I trust that if the stuff is cool and really good, or even just cool or really good, you will find a way to get
it to players.

Register