Author Topic: (Answered) BA Small Pulse Lasers  (Read 2761 times)

BirdofPrey

• Major
(Answered) BA Small Pulse Lasers
« on: 30 September 2012, 03:01:46 »
The BA weaponry table on TW pg 305 does not list every single weapon available to IS battle armor.  I can only assume this is because the weapon data (ranges, damage codes etc. )of the weapons missing are identical to the entires on the heavy weapons table a few pages back.

Small pulse lasers have an AI tag meaning they should do extra damage vs. infantry, but there is no entry for them in the Battle Armor section of the the burst fire weapon damage table on TW pg. 217
Do BA scale SPLs lack anti-infantry burst fire capabilities or is this an accidental omission?
I should note as far as i can tell every other BA weapon that has an anti-infantry capable 'Mech scale weapon also has (albeit diminished) anti-infantry capabilities at the battle armor scale including the ones in TacOps (VSPLs, ERSPL).
« Last Edit: 30 September 2012, 11:38:31 by Xotl »

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: BA Small Pulse Lasers
« Reply #1 on: 30 September 2012, 11:38:19 »
Any AI weapon available to BA but not listed separately on the BA portion of the table on p. 217 defaults to the 'Mech-grade damage.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

BirdofPrey

• Major
Re: (Answered) BA Small Pulse Lasers
« Reply #2 on: 30 September 2012, 14:38:31 »
Bummer, it looked like an error to me, though I guess it could be a legacy error (like no minimum range Clan LRMs) that it's too late to change.

Thanks for the answer at any rate.
Machine guns for everyone.

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #3 on: 30 September 2012, 17:04:15 »
Just so it's clear: an AI weapon not in the Battle Armor list still deals AI damage.  This means the SPL on a battle armor is still quite respectable at 2D6, being beaten in the category of AI weapons available to BA only by the BA flamer.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 30 September 2012, 21:01:03 »
huh?

I think I might have misread you the first time.  I took that to mean it defaulted to straight up damage rather than getting a bonus.  What you're really saying is use the listing on the Mech/protomech/vehicle table right?

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #5 on: 30 September 2012, 21:59:03 »
Let's try this again.  :)

Any burst-fire weapon available to BA but not listed on the "Battle Armour" table on p. 217 (such as the small pulse laser) defaults to the burst-fire damage listed on the "BattleMechs, ProtoMechs and Vehicles" table (in the case of the small pulse laser, this would be 2d6 damage).

Basically, first check the Batle Armor table.  If the weapon you're using is there, then you're good.  If it isn't, then move up to the BattleMechs, ProtoMechs and Vehicles table and use what's written there.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 30 September 2012, 23:19:11 »
Ah OK I get it now, thanks for putting up with my derpiness.

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #7 on: 30 September 2012, 23:29:01 »
No problem.  There isn't actually a note anywhere there explaining this, so we'll be sure to get one added.