Author Topic: In the Darkness, there is light (AU)  (Read 7236 times)

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
In the Darkness, there is light (AU)
« on: 23 October 2012, 11:27:32 »
This was inspired by this thread and the Heavy Gear game - the units use pure CBT technology and the story will be pure CBT (from my AU Timeline - link in sig) - haven't decided the exact date for this one yet.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,24064.0.html

In the Darkness, there is light

One

For the last two years the Rim Association had pushed into several of the independent systems of the Free Worlds League increasing its influence and strength.  The former Nova Cat warriors of the Liger Warriors, the Association’s best equipped and trained troops, were a the fore of this easily overwhelming the under-equipped and trained Independent world militias.

This system was different to others however; it wasn’t officially an FWL world or at least didn’t appear on any Interstellar map.  The Rim Association scout team had only stumbled onto it when discovering the wreckage of a Monolith-class JumpShip, scouting further they had found an inhabited world with strange characteristics.

The world was massive three to four times the size of Terra standard, and it was easily 90% covered in land with few open bodies of water.  The Northern and Southern Hemispheres seemed well developed separated by a massive desert that ran the entire circumference of the world.  As they approached the DropShip’s sophisticated sensors could tell there were fusion plants on the world but they were very few, they could also tell the world was well built up with a population in the millions with at least two dozen cities and three Maglev lines linking the North to the south.

“Quite a prize” Major Sandra Rimmer said quietly, she was a Nova Cat by birth but had fully embraced her place as a Rim Association citizen going as far to take the surname of “Rimmer” to show her dedication to their new cause.

“Star… I mean Major; we are detecting a battle on going on the surface.”  One of the crewmen explained

“Show me” she ordered moments later one of the screens changed showing a group of tanks firing on another group either side of a group of trees.  There were infantry formations moving around them and what appeared to be Mechs.  “No fusion signatures?” She noted “IndustrialMechs?”  She wondered thinking of the Arbiter SecurityMechs in her own unit, which were little more than armed IndustrialMechs.  The Clans and Inner Sphere would never use such units but here on the Periphery they made do with what they had.

“Possibly” the crewmen replied, the Mech-type units moved swiftly around the armoured vehicles supporting them, the Mechs looked small but highly mobile.  “We also have a cluster of fusion signatures from this area in the east, looks like we might have a pair of DropShips?”

“Local Drop Port in a desert” Sandra wondered looking over the ships, even from this distance Sandra could tell the ships were not operational missing parts of their hulls.  “Maybe a junkyard or a military compound, any other signs of DropShips or other space craft?”  Sandra asked frustrated, a Drop Port would be the perfect place to put down.

“None they seem fully stuck on the planet despite their number of armed units.”

“They also seem to be stuck in a civil war of some sort.”  Sandra said slightly annoyed, it seemed this planet would be far more of a find than any of them had ever expected.  “All right we are landing here north of this MagLev line and city.  As soon as we land we offload everyone and secure a perimeter, and then we will see where these people stand.  If they come after us, we will strike the MagLev to cut off reinforcement.”  She said watching the monitor again the “battle” they had seen before had tapered off now with the two forces pulling back rapidly, now the real interesting bit would start.

Moving from the bridge to her Shadow Cat Sandra felt the DropShip change its orientation and then felt the familiar “thud” of the vessel hitting the atmosphere.  The planetary gravity soon began to pull the vessel down and Sandra could feel the real gravity under her feet, it felt like a normal g’ strength.  Reaching the Mechbay she could see her Shadow Cat waiting her, the Mech had been hers from Clan Nova Cat and was of the advanced OmniMech type.  Only five OmniMechs survived under Liger command since they had moved to the Rim Association, the rest had been destroyed or scavenged for parts.  So far the Rim Association’s researchers on Niops had failed to reverse engineer any of the Clan technology they had been given.  Beside the Shadow Cat were the other two true BattleMechs in her formation a medium class Nimravus salvaged from combat against the Federated Suns and a lighter Raven which had been taken during their stay on Herotitus.  Across the bay were eight Arbiter SecurityMechs, more spoils from the Liger Warriors travels, which had been upgrade with Autocannons which replaced their ancient Rifles.

One deck below Sandra knew there were two Oro Heavy Tanks, two Hachiman Fire Support Tanks and ten Elemental Battle Armour suits all crewed by the same people who had come with her from Clan Nova Cat, it seemed a lifetime ago since those days.  Sometimes Sandra pondered over where her life would have taken her if she had chosen not to betray the Clan who had given her birth… but that was not for today.  “Bridge to Major Rimmer!”  The comm. unit called raising her own personal comm. unit she answered them.

“Bridge this is Sandra” she said, she was still getting used to her new “surname” she truly wondered if she ever would.

“Major the engines are suffering from heavy turbulence, once we are down I think it will be difficult to launch again.”

“We could be stranded here Quineg?”  She asked using the Clan interrogative, as she felt her heart sinking could this be why this world had fallen off the interstellar maps because once you landed you never left?  She remembered seeing those broken down DropShips on the ground, could her ship be about to join them?

“Neg, I think we will be able to leave again sir, but the stresses on the hull mean that once we land we shouldn’t move again unless we’re trying to leave.”  The crewmen answered his speech slurred by the contractions, right now however Sandra did not care, as long as this was not a single trip.  “Regardless sir, it would be more damaging to try and reverse our course now.”  He added as if reading her mind.

“Understood continue landing sequences.  We will come to the problem of leaving after we have resolved the other issues on this world.”  She answered as she removed her jumpsuit revealing just shorts and a t-shirt, the gear of a MechWarrior preparing for combat.  She then quickly began her ascent to the top of her OmniMech.  The DropShip around them continued to shudder heavily as it descended towards the ground; Sandra concentrated on getting her Shadow Cat powered and ready for potential combat.  As the OmniMech came to life she saw the engineers had kept the Mech in her preferred Alpha configuration which mounted a pair of Extended Range Large Lasers and a Streak Short Range Missile (SRM) Launcher.  The greatest asset an OmniMech had over all others were that its weapons, equipment and in some cases jump jets could all be switched between battles giving them more tactical flexibility.  The battles the Ligers had gone through had robbed them of many of their OmniMechs but from what Sandra had heard recently the rebuilding factories and labs on Niops were close to a breakthrough to producing the Rim Association’s first home grown OmniMech.

As the Mechbay doors opened Sandra stepped her Shadow Cat out of its bay towards the doors, the DropShip was still over two hundred metres in the air but that wasn’t going to stop Sandra “Sierra One, Bridge, I will provide ground cover” she communicated to the bridge before stepping her Shadow Cat out of the doorway, immediately there was a strange sensation as the solid deck disappeared and the forty-five ton Mech began to fall, Sandra fought hard to avoid the temptation to interfere with the Mech’s fall.  Within moments the fall had been slowed considerably as the Jump Jets mounted in the Shadow Cat’s back fired, normally used to provide additional mobility on the battlefield they were perfect for fast insertions.  As her Mech dropped towards the ground Sandra could see seven of the small BattleMechs she’d seen before advancing over the sand dunes that dominated the scenary, she also noticed her comm. array was active.  Flicking the switch to receive she heard the planet’s first words.

“Dark Caste force you are not welcome on Twin Sons leave now or be considered a hostile force.”  A male voice declared, Sandra’s mind raced, how could this world cut off from the rest of the Free Worlds League and the greater Inner Sphere know of the Dark Caste?  Or better yet how could they know her force was of the Dark Caste?  She didn’t like to consider herself a member of the Dark Caste but there was little disputing it, even to her parent Clan she’d be considered to be little more than a bandit that needed to be hunted down.

“People of the Twin Sons” she started using the same name the enemy had used “this is Major Sandra Rimmer of the Liger Scout Company; we hail from the Rim Association.  We come here to bring this world back into the Free Worlds League which it has been cut off from for so long.”  She said as her Shadow Cat came into a land, the seven Mechs she had seen were still approaching.

“Dark Caste, we know your ship and your technology” Leave now and we will not consider you hostile.  Inform Port Arthur that these incursions are an act of war.”  The man repeated, Sandra had no idea what or who Port Arthur was but had quite enough of threats.

“Twin Sons defenders, I am very willing to defend myself, and my people.  I did not come here for war but if you bring it, I will answer.”  She said defiantly swapping communication channels “Sierra One to control, have made contact with natives consider them hostile.  Command Lance deploy to the North-West.  Alpha One through four and all Echo units attack targets of opportunity.  Support Group One and two deploy to North-East and South-West flanks, targets of opportunity but do not pursue any target.  Control try to keep out of this fight, I don’t want the DropShip targeted if we can help it.”  She ordered, she saw a variety of clicks and acknowledgements from her people before turning back to her incoming targets.  “All forces shoot to disable not destroy I want prisoners.”

The seven defenders could barely be classed as Mech’s; even Sandra’s squat Shadow Cat completely dwarfed the largest of them.  Between them they were about six to eight metres in height according to her advanced Active Probe scanner they weighed between ten and fifteen tons – Ultra-lights.  Also according to her scanners none of the incoming designs had fusion engines which were common in BattleMechs.  As they came into view Sandra saw that the designs were similar but different most had either angular or circular armour plating, an arm mounted cannon and a shoulder mounted missile pack, although they varied in size and Sandra guessed capability.

Moments of quiet passed as Sandra watched the defenders move from sand-dune to sand-dune then felt the rapid “ting-ting-ting” as her Shadow Cat took its first piece of damage, she glanced at the armour graph on the left of her cockpit some armour damage.  The computer designated the weapon as a machine gun.  She glanced at her target, a six metre design to her left with angular armour plate on one shoulder was a grenade launcher or a mortar on the other a missile pack while carried in the right arm was what looked like a massive infantry machine gun.  Sandra looked at the design for a second time trying to confirm what she’d seen… yes… the main gun was a “carried” weapon.  She had no interest in letting her own curiosity hold back her attack instead twisting her Mech’s turret-like torso she fired off a laser blast from the Shadow Cat’s left arm.

The green laser blast burned through the air in seconds impacting the small design’s left side almost instantly the entire left torso of the Mech caved in taking the grenade launcher and left arm with is.  Metal fell to the ground as parts flew off the ultra-light before the entire Mech fell to the ground, the enemy Mech wasn’t out of the fight but it was disabled for now.  “Sierra One all units, these guys are ultra-light, conservative firing don’t over tax your cooling systems.”  She ordered feeling more weapons fire this time on her other side, not bothering to move her Mech she twisted the Shadow Cat’s torso and spied two more of the ultra-light machines trying to hide behind a rock as they fired their machine guns.  One was the same as the design she’d just knocked down the other slightly bigger with the same angular plates.  As she looked at them they both fired their shoulder pack missiles at her Shadow Cat.

As she had barely moved the Shadow Cat was a sitting target and suddenly missiles from both designs were smashing into the armour.  The damage schematic glowed under each hit as armour was blown away by the enemies fire, Sandra could tell by the feel of the impacts these were like short range missiles pelting her OmniMech.  Enough was enough she launched her Mech into the air on its jump jets throwing off their machine gun fire.  In the air she targeted her SRM pack, the Streak technology built into the launcher ensuring her missiles waited until lock before firing, six missiles flew away impacting on the first design, several hit the designs left leg while others hit the torso.  Sandra could see the ultra-light’s leg was crippled as was the missile launcher.  Turning on the other design she fired her other large laser, the green blast tore down on the second machine bathing its head and torso section in light.  Normally a head shot was not a kill shot with a large laser like Sandra’s but this one was the entire cockpit crumbled under the blast.

As Sandra’s Mech landed she looked at her sensors realizing these designs have quite light head and cockpit armour, the slightest hit was causing a breach.  She watched as the remaining designs began a fighting withdrawal pulling back, they had impressive mobility able to “hop” over small sand dunes and dodge some obstacles which larger Mechs would need Jump Jets to clear.  Looking around she realized her other units were deploying and these people had seen they were far out gunned.  Activating her comms she spoke again “Twin Sons defenders, we do not want war.”  She said it was short and simple hopefully they understood “Echo One secure disabled target designated Tango One.  Echo Six secure disabled target designated Tango Two.  I want their pilots captured alive.”  She ordered her Elemental points, the armoured warriors lept into the air on their own jump jets towards the two heavily damaged targets both of which were struggling to move under their own power.  “Alpha One, secure wreckage Tango Three, maybe we will learn something from it.”  She said ‘other than they are suicide machines?’ she silently wondered to herself.  First contact with a new world shame it hadn’t been peaceful, these people had spirit exactly what the Association needed if it was going to survive.

Anyway I hope you enjoy theres more to come here and in my timeline proper

comments are welcome
« Last Edit: 23 October 2012, 18:49:02 by Dragon Cat »
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Shadow_Wraith

• Lieutenant
Re: In the Darkness, there is light (AU)
« Reply #1 on: 23 October 2012, 19:18:00 »
Looks like an interesting spin off on your AU?  Looking forward on how you adopt the Heavy Gear storyline to your AU.

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 23 October 2012, 19:56:49 »
tag
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 25 October 2012, 22:10:55 »
Looks like an interesting spin off on your AU?  Looking forward on how you adopt the Heavy Gear storyline to your AU.

Not a spin-off this is like the extended stories I used to post from my "bullet-point" timeline that was originally on forums.  I hate to be cliche but "all of this will happen here, and all of this will happen again" sometime in the timeline.  I think it will be within the next five years of the timeline but I'm not entirely sure.  It may be presented slightly differently.

Next bit

Two

The armour damage to Sandra’s Shadow Cat seemed to be the least of her unit’s problem according to the DropShips commander the long modified Fortress-class vessel had taken a severe beating in the entry through this planet’s atmosphere.  The damage was fixable but they would need parts, which currently they didn’t have, considering this planet’s obvious well developed industry these should be easy to come by but that meant making friends.

After the first encounter Sandra wasn’t entirely convinced that would be easy.  However she had decided that there would be not harm in trying.   Nightfall was quickly approaching but the temperature was still massive, the name “twin suns” seemed appropriate despite the defenders, although listening over the recordings from the battle Sandra was sure he’d said “twin SONS” a strange name for a world but it was up to the inhabitants to choose their name and their fate.

The DropShip’s long range sensors had tracked the surviving defenders back towards a settlement in the far north east just beyond some mountains.  It was easily a three day trek at the speed of their slowest member.  Sandra though it was stranger as there was an equally large settlement to the south of their coordinates within half a day’s travel.  Sandra guessed they hadn’t wanted to cross the DropShips weapon arcs to retreat to a friendly base but it was still quite strange.  Although tonight there was no sign of incoming enemies she had chosen to have one Star outside the DropShip on patrol at all times, for four hours at a time.  Already Support Group One had reported their Arbiters were struggling with the increased heat which surprised Sandra as the enemy machines had shown little to no ill effects from the heat perhaps they had been conditioned for this environment?  She’d wondered her techs were looking over the two salvaged Mechs now so far all they had reported was both were of the same design, powered with Fuel Cells and both were crippled.  One of the techs as said the word marvel at least once as he’d crawled over the design personally Sandra hadn’t seen the attraction what was left of the Mech came in at a little over nine tons, a complete Mech would be ten tons.  That was barely bigger than some of the Clan’s ProtoMech designs and their combat performance had been little better.  Their hand held weapons were of interest, they were styled as if they were enlarged infantry weapons but their combat performance had shown they could match a Mech sized machine gun easily weighing in at a ton total weight it was quite a weapon.

Unfortunately that was almost all they had gained from today’s exercise, the pilot from the first Mech had escaped from his downed machine the second warrior from the Mech with the crippled leg was currently unconscious from neural feedback from the warrior’s neuralhelmet.  The design of the helmet was quite advanced according to the techs, perhaps as advanced as the Clan’s own models but of a different design with extra circuitry the techs didn’t recognize.  Hopefully they would understand what these changes were when the pilot woke up, if he woke up.  With so many mysteries Sandra turned in for the night hoping for an easier day tomorrow.

Unfortunately this world’s climate made sleeping at night almost impossible; the DropShip seemed to bake even with the sun down and the temperatures dropping to minus twenty-one outside.  It made the Mech patrols easier although not it appeared to be problems with sand getting into their joints.  Sitting on the edge of her bunk in the morning Sandra was beginning to think she knew why the world had been abandoned, and why the native Mech units were so light.  Reaching the cargo bay in the morning she brought all the warriors in her command around.  “Ladies and gentlemen, we are on what appears to be quite a hostile world, or at least this region of it is.”  She said looking around she noticed few of them had gotten much sleep “we cannot let it get to us.  I am going to take my star to the city to the south.  If we are attacked we will divert to the maglev and eliminate it, cutting off reinforcements from at least one direction.  Both other Stars will remain here and provide support for the DropShip’s defence.  I also want you to look at the captured equipment, see if there is anything we can use or that can help us in combat against them.

“Major, the techs get the Mechs working can we test them?”  One of the Arbiter pilots asked, he like most of the Arbiter pilots was a native of the Niops worlds and although the Arbiter was a solid design for a light it lacked any sense of styling.

“I’ve instructed the techs to cannibalize one design to repair the other.  If they can repair the Mech without using our spare part cache AND interface one of our neuralhelmets with the design, you can play with it.”  She noticed several smiles from the Arbiter contingent “but I want it understood, the captured neuralhelmet must not be used under any circumstances.  If you want to see the results of its use have a look in the infirmary.”

“Star Major” Captain Steven Nova Cat said quietly he was a freeborn member of the Ligers and still held onto many of the Clan customs including her abridged rank.  “If you don’t return from this incursion what are your orders?”

“To the North-west there is a small settlement with what appears to be several DropShips.  Your orders are to gain access to these DropShips by any means necessary.  Get the parts you need for the engines and report our findings to Lesnovo.  Our people need to know of this world and the potential wealth that can be had here before one of the other Free Worlds League nations stumbled over it.”
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 25 October 2012, 22:11:29 »
part two of Chapter two...

Several hours later Sandra’s star was approaching the settlement limits immediately a group of defenders, of various designs, moved forward and Sandra’s communications activated.  “Incoming Dark Caste force we do not welcome combat within Khayr Ad-Din.  This is home to the gladiator games and fair trade.  Watch your step.”  The communication warned then the machines moved off without another word.  Sandra noticed her star channel was also active and swapped over to it.

“Major, I really wish these people would stop calling us Dark Caste Quiaff?”  Elemental Point Commander Jonathon said

“Aff, point commander I would also like to know where they have heard of the Dark Caste.  We are a long way from the Clan borders Quiaff?”  She asked moments passed as the Elemental thought over the question that had bothered her since the first mention of the name.

“Aff a question worthy of an answer.  Especially since this world was supposed to be lost for centuries?  It does not make sense for them to know of the Dark Caste.”  He mused

“Aff, there is something very wrong on this world, star keep your ears open I want answers almost as much as I want parts for our ship.”  She ordered lights winked as everyone acknowledged her orders.  They moved slowly into the city, which was a cross between a trade post and what appeared to be some sort of junkyard.  They were led into a small corralled area, people seemed wary of them but no-one acted hostile towards them.  Sandra brought her Mech into the area then began a power down sequence she removed the Gauss SMG from the rear of her ejection seat, one of the bonuses of it being a former Nova Cat OmniMech.  Climbing towards the ground she slung the weapon over her shoulder one of the Elementals approached her she saw the silver star on the helmet of the Battle Armour suit showing it as a Point Commander’s suit.  “Point Commander, secure this area, I am going to take a walk around.”

“Do you require an escort?  This does not appear to be the most lawful of places.”  The warrior said Sandra could tell even through the voice synthesiser that it was Point Commander Daniel.

“Neg, Elementals tend to stick out even out of your armour.”  She answered “I will be fine, ensure this area remains secure do not engage any of the locals other than in defence.”

“Aff, Major I understand.”  He answered.  Sandra nodded and headed out of the compound into the street her uniform jacket was torn in places from wear and tear it didn’t look like an active military uniform although her weapon did mark her out as did her fair skin and dark hair.  Looking around the streets she could seem most people had heavily sun tanned skin and lighter shades of hair, bleached naturally by the sun, several also had strange markings on their face like intricate tattoos.  She decided the best idea to find out more about the area was to simply mingle around the streets listening and observing the world around her.

Several streets over she had seen almost twenty different cultures all vying for position with trade deals or negotiations.  She’d noticed several different languages and hundreds of dialects this settlement seemed to be a meeting and trade place for this world which made sense given the maglev line access to north and south.

On several of the video screens she’d also noticed Mechs fighting in what looked like arenas of rubble like a mini Solaris based in this city.  It seemed that this place was where everything happened, it also appeared that this was a place one could lose everything they had to a single act.  Stopping in the street she spoke out loudly and clearly “I did not come here to fight.”  She said slowly turning facing the three men who had followed her for several streets.  They wore a mix of clothing that looked like it had been worn for several years and been through a couple of wars, each was armed but they had no weapons drawn.

“Perhaps not Dark Caste, but you did come with a weapon.  And that says to us you want a fight, or you want to give it away?”  Sandra drew the weapon around her body but did not raise it “a fight perhaps” the leader said as the two others moved out to the sides drawing bladed weapons.  She could take one out with a burst of fire but the others would be on her.

“I just came to trade” she repeated

“So did we, it’s called the five finger trade, we put in five fingers and you give us all your things.”  The leader said, suddenly there was a flash of movement to Sandra’s left as one of the muggers was picked up by a huge man and thrown across the street.  He impacted the wall with an audible thud and slipped down to the ground unconscious.  Glancing at him Sandra could tell the man was an Elemental by birth even lacking Battle Armour, his clothing was like the locals so she couldn’t tell what Clan he had come from but he was clearly capable of fighting unaugmented.

“Now how is that a way to speak to a lady?” The Elemental boomed his voice was deep, Sandra could see he was older than most Clan warriors easily into his forties.  He stood more than ready for a fight however, both remaining assailants must have gotten the same impression as after a moment standing up to the newcomer they turned and ran.  As they escaped the Elemental roared in laughter “willing to stand up to someone with a gun but not to a single warrior!”  He shouted after the men “come back when you are ready for a war.”  He laughed again turning towards Sandra “welcome to Twin Sons newcomer, I can tell by your accent a former member of Kerensky’s Clans Quiaff?” He asked looking Sandra up and down.

“Aff, after a fashion” Sandra answered “I am Sandra Rimmer of the Rim Association.”  She introduced herself still holding her Gauss SMG in her hands.  Against an Elemental it was her best hope to stay armed.

“A nation I have never heard of and a claimed name of no Clans.” He said looking her up and down once more “I guess it can only be expected when departed from ones Clan.  I am Michael Furey, former Star Captain of Clan Smoke Jaguar” he introduced himself bowing slightly but given his massive frame he barely reached the top of Sandra’s head with a bow.  Sandra was even more on edge by the introduction; the Smoke Jaguars had been long enemies of Clan Nova Cat.

“I am Sandra Nova Cat, formerly Star Captain of Clan Nova Cat.”  She said her grip tightening on the SMG.  The Elemental looked shocked at her announcement then roared into laughter.

“Who would have thought a Nova Cat and a Smoke Jaguar here of all places after all these years” he continued to laugh, Sandra wondered if he had taken a drink or two before hand given his jovial mood or perhaps it was the fight.  “We should have a drink and food while we talk, come” he ordered turning his back to her walking off “as long as there’s no iron wombs or dead animals around I think we’ll get on just fine.”  He laughed again as he walked down the street, Sandra had a choice she could walk away there was nothing stopping her.  Looking at the downed mugger she thought that following the former Smoke Jaguar and knowing who he was and how he was here was better than knowing nothing.  Today was continuing to be a surprising and interesting day, she silently wondered how it would end as she followed Michael Furey, everyone kept a respectful distance from him which was a nice change to the hustle and bustle of the city at least one thing was looking up.
« Last Edit: 25 October 2012, 22:13:20 by Dragon Cat »

imperator

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 25 October 2012, 22:26:52 »
Are you you going to give the "Tera Novans" Mobile Structure style Land Battleships?  I'm liking the story so far?  I'm making an assumption right now that says you replace the invasion from Terra with invasion by "Clan"?
Their is no problem Jump Jets and an assault class auto-cannon can't handle.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 26 October 2012, 22:58:35 »
Are you you going to give the "Tera Novans" Mobile Structure style Land Battleships?  I'm liking the story so far?  I'm making an assumption right now that says you replace the invasion from Terra with invasion by "Clan"?

Perhaps beyond the scope of this particular story (it won't be the last on this world) but I have got an idea for Landships...

Your assumption is sort of correct, explained in this part...

Three

A couple of streets over there was a small bar with seats and tables out facing the street.  Furey sat down on one of the metal chairs; it sagged under his bulk but didn't cave in.  Sandra sat opposite him “barkeep” Furey bellowed at the staff behind the bar “freebirths” he said smirking looking at Sandra, the waiter came over he couldn't have been older than eighteen years old with sandy blonde hair.  “Two of my usual” Furey ordered Sandra remained quiet.

“How does a Clan Bloodnamed warrior become a usual at a place like this?”  Sandra asked without thinking

“When your Clan falls and no-one lifts a finger to stop it, you have little option I am afraid” Sandra opened her mouth to speak.  The Nova Cats and Smoke Jaguars were never friends; in fact they were blood enemies for centuries.  She was sure had things been different and the Nova Cats been in a position to help they still wouldn't have.  “For the past…” he said quietly as the waiter arrived back with their drinks, without ceremony Furey lifted the mug to his lips and drank several large mouthfuls of the drink.  Sandra was more cautious sniffing the glass first before taking a sip of the liquid in her mouth, it was probably the strongest thing she’d ever tasted it nipped her throat all the way to her stomach.  Her reaction must have been noticed because Furey burst into laughter once more.

“So how does a Smoke Jaguar end up here in a forgotten corner of the Free Worlds League?”  She asked testing the waters, Furey’s face immediately darkened.

“When the Smoke Jaguars were struck down I was aboard a troop transport heading to the Inner Sphere along with some garrison units.  I had recently won my bloodname and was rising within the Smoke Jaguars ready for the challenge of the Inner Sphere.”  He began Sandra nodded winning a bloodname was the highlight of ones career in any Clan.  “When news filtered down that the Smoke Jaguars had been forced from the Inner Sphere our commander a Star Colonel Phillip Osis forced the JumpShip captain to take us on a tour of the Periphery.  We raided some Lyran worlds, but rapidly Osis was losing patience with the garrison forces on his DropShips, they were a burden he didn't want to deal with.”  Furey explained Sandra nodded she knew what Clan officers were like with none MechWarriors and Elementals they didn't have time for Armour or Conventional Infantry forces.  “We raided some FWL targets, one of the armour stars got bogged down, he left them to die at the hands of some Free Worlds League Legionaries forces.  Ten vehicle crews dead, we jumped here, my captain had already agreed that this system would be his DropShips last with Osis’ JumpShip.  We detached as did two others from the JumpShip Osis never even communicated with us the JumpShip just jumped away.  When we reached the planet we found it was inhabitable but that it was clear there was a break between north and south, we chose to land between them.”

“Like us, do not ally with one until you know the story.”

“Exactly!”  Furey exclaimed a little louder than Sandra had expected “two Lions and a single Fortress not exactly front-line Clan ships but all solid vessels.  Then we experienced this worlds atmosphere everything changed, all three ships were old past their retirement age, but the Smoke Jaguars couldn't replace them.  We came down a few kilometres north-west of this city intact but shaken.”

“What did you have?”  Sandra curious about the Smoke Jaguars forces

“A vehicle cluster, a single star of Elementals with Battle Armour and seventy-five further elementals with no armour along with nearly two hundred civilian engineers and scientists we were transporting to the Inner Sphere.”

“That is way over capacity; you must have been squabbling over each other just to sleep at night, Quiaff?”

“Aff” Furey confirmed “on this world even in the baking heat we had a refuge from where to plan our next move.  As Smoke Jaguars we did as we were bread to do, to conquer.  Our technology immediately gave us an advantage and we soon had cut a sizable amount of territory out of the Badlands, which is this region, the Confederated Nothern States of Cameron Marik, which dominates the Northern hemisphere, and the Allied States of John Marik to the south.  Unfortunately they banded together, something that has never happened on this forsaken world, and began forcing us back over ourselves, for every piece of territory we took they forced us back.”  He explained.

“Cameron and John Marik?” Sandra asked not knowing the names

“Bastard twin sons of Captain General Simone Marik, she gifted them this world in 2740 as their personal playground.  They split this world up and created their own nations to play wargames on; limiting the technology to Fuel Cell engines was their way of keeping the violence from getting out of control.  Training Mechs were placed on this world for their games; live-ammunition kills even if it’s on a smaller scale.  As it turned out their choice to limit the size of machine on this world saved my people’s lives, we had no BattleMechs of our own but our tanks out massed even their largest Mechs two to one.  Even as they pushed us back it would take three or four of them to take one of our units down, in the end they got tired of the war their alliance broke and we held onto Port Arthur, the town we landed on.”

“And you have been stuck here ever since, amazing.”  Sandra said quietly she saw Furey’s expression darken “not that you have been stuck here but that we would meet.  We are both Clan warriors without a Clan.”  She stated Furey did not reply “but where you have been abandoned by your commander, my commander took his unit to a refuge, the Rim Association.  Our nation is a small member of the former Free Worlds League, but we are growing, we came here scouting out possible worlds for conquest.”

“It would not be easy to take this world, even with a Mech force.”

“True, but how about if we could provide your Elementals with Nighthawk Power Armour suits?”  Sandra asked immediately Furey’s face brightened “we have a Power Armour manufacturing plant on Niops it has survived from the time of the Star League, and is on the verge of producing our first true Battle Armour suit.”  Furey smiled at those words “Smoke Jaguars and Nova Cats together against the Free Worlds League.”

“It would be glorious.”  Furey said smiling “how can this be done?”

“An alliance between the Ligers and your people, together we will forge the future of the Rim Association, but first I hope you have something my people desperately need?  My DropShip was crippled when we landed here.”

“Our ship is fully operational but has no fuel, we traded it for supplies to get Port Arthur on its feet, if we could move our parts to your ship or your fuel to ours then we would have a working ship.”

“Will your people agree to my ideas?”  Sandra asked their past could stop the whole thing and leave Sandra’s people stranded here also.

“Aff, I believe they can be convinced as long as our territory here is supported and protected.”  Furey warned “our people have built a home here; Port Arthur was nothing before we came.”

“It can and will be supported, we are not finished with this world.”

“Well bargained and done” Furey stated standing up flipping a coin onto the table, Sandra guessed in payment for their drinks “I know where you landed, I will have people come to you and together we will retake the stars.”  He stated stepping out onto the street, Sandra followed closely banging into Furey as he came to a stop “it seems our friends went and found more support” across the street there were nearly twenty men staring at them all armed with knives and swords “you are ready, Quiaff?”  He asked moving his cloak slightly.

“Aff” Sandra said raising her SMG as the first of the men began to charge she fired.  Furey drew a slug-thrower of his own and also began to fire.  The first rank of men fell quickly in a hail of fire but the second rank trampled over them and continued to charge Sandra quickly switched targets and continued to fire as Furey engaged them in hand-to-hand combat.

Sandra’s SMG finally ran empty with still half a dozen men moving in, Furey was still standing and fighting but even the massive Elemental couldn't hold them forever.  Sandra steadied herself for hand-to-hand combat and likely her death as the men continued to close, but suddenly the air was full of lead and noise as above several machine guns opened fire as one tearing down into the six men who were approaching.  At least a dozen bystanders were caught in the hail of fire as all six men were gunned down.  As the fire died down she stepped out into the open to see five Elementals standing on the rooftops, they’d tracked her down.  The men fighting Furey ran away as quickly as they could at the sight of the armoured Elementals the former Smoke Jaguar warrior bloodied from a large gash above his eye looked up at the Battle Armour Point and burst into laughter.  “Never thought I’d be happy to see Nova Cat Elementals” he shouted waving up to them.  “The people of Khayr Ad-Din do not like violence outside their arenas.  Come to Port Arthur, we will rise again.”  He said looking around Furey marched off into the crowds, despite his size he was soon lost in the crowds.  Sandra surveyed the scene, the people of this city had been caught in the crossfire, it hadn’t been intentional but the blood of this world was yet again on her hands, perhaps in the future the people who lived here would understand.

I hope you enjoy

feel free to comment or question :)

imperator

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 27 October 2012, 09:09:46 »
I definitely like it.  I'm been thinking about a a crimson skies one that I've been playing as a RPG campaign.  Keep doing what you do. O0
Their is no problem Jump Jets and an assault class auto-cannon can't handle.

Shadow_Wraith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 27 October 2012, 09:20:07 »
It would be nice to so you would expand the story!  Keep it up

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 28 October 2012, 15:40:08 »
Four

The Liger unit quickly moved from the city and returned to their DropShip, the entire journey security forces and individual native machines approached them but none engaged them.  The entire time they had been away the DropShip had been approached by three groups of Mechs, none had attacked the crippled vessel or the defending units.

“We need to trust these people that they have the parts that we need, and that once clear of this world they will work with us and not against us?”  Captain Hannibal Stevens asked, his ship was stuck on this planet without the parts but he still wasn’t convinced.

“They are our best chance of getting off this planet in once piece” Sandra reminded Stevens who nodded but still didn’t look happy.  “I understand how everyone feels about this paring and about the Smoke Jaguars but these people are Clan Warriors who were wronged by their own people and the other Clans, sound familiar?  She asked specifically looking at the former Nova Cats in the gathering.  They have parts and critical intelligence that we need so we are going to work with them.  Captain Stevens, I need your best tech in one of the Oros, they will need to access the parts when we get a look at them.   I will take my Star to the Smoke Jaguar’s encampment at Port Arthur, we will access the parts and return.  The rest of you are to remain on high alert.”

“Major, one Star could probably protect the DropShip why not take my unit as well, we could move more quickly.”

“Neg, 2 units remain to defend the DropShip, if this landing site was to get over-run we would be in a lot more trouble.  Also none of your Mechs have hands so they couldn’t do much.”  She pointed out

“Major, how about the home-grown Mech we captured, it’s operational and works with our neuralhelmets,” One of the MechWarriors said Sandra looked at the Master Tech who nodded.

“It’s operational after a fashion.  The grenade launcher was not repairable on either salvaged Mech so we removed it.  She now carries a single four tube SRM rack, no ammo protection as there wasn’t time to redesign all the bays but if you need it…”  His voice trailed off Sandra could see many eager faces from the Arbiter pilots and a couple of bondsmen, who the Ligers had taken before settling in the Rim Association, she knew they were more eager for combat.

“Aff, we will take it.  Star Commander Matthew will arrange Trials of Possession for the design; whoever wins will pilot it in support of my star.  Dismissed” she ordered the warriors moved off leaving her standing the Master Tech also stayed “honest opinion on the design?”

“Death trap, even carrying that oversized machine gun the pilot is under-gunned and under protected” he said honestly “but it’s fast easily able to keep up with your Shadow Cat on the ground, speaking of which are you happy with your weapons or want a change?”  He asked referring to her OmniMech, Clan weapons and parts were at a premium for the Liger Warriors but Sandra knew the Master Tech had a few extra weapons stored away.

“Give me configuration F, with plenty cluster rounds for the canon, these guys have not got much armour so it should cut them down easily Quiaff?”

“Aff, the lasers will help too.” He commented walking off to his assembled Techs.

The next morning they were ready for the journey to Port Arthur MechWarrior David Ramirez a citizen of the Niops worlds had qualified as the Hunter’s new pilot so Sandra had two BattleMechs, four vehicles and five of the Elementals, who would ride aboard the Shadow Cat’s back.  “Move out ladies and gentlemen” Sandra ordered they moved out at a respectful pace of around sixty kilometres per hour, both the Shadow Cat and Hunter could exceed the speed but the vehicles couldn’t, in places they would have to move even slower due to the desert sand.

After an hour they encountered their first problem, a group of seven BattleMechs shadowing the unit, unlike the previous Mech with the slanted armour these Mechs were more rounded and were larger than the units previously encountered and all seemed to have the ability to lock their legs and “drive” their legs with wheels or tracks in the feet.

Moving swiftly past the Liger formation all seven units showered Sandra’s Star with missile and rocket fire supplemented by machine gun and Mech sized mortars.  Two of the enemy designs were at least as large as a normal light BattleMech but were slower with Fuel Cell engines and carried weapons.  Both the Hachimann and Oros were twisting their turrets tracking the enemy but were taking damage, while David Ramirez Hunter took several hits but stayed up returning fire with his Mech’s retrofitted SRM launcher.  Launching into the air on with her Shadow Cat’s Jump Jet twisting the turret style torso she brought her weapons along one of the enemy designs.  Pulling the primary trigger the shotgun style Autocannon nestled in her Mech’s torso fired a cluster round all over one of the enemy Mechs.  At the same time she fired all four of the Mech’s arm mounted Medium Lasers, three slashed over the enemy Mech’s armour burning away armour and tearing off the shoulder mounted Mortar.  As the Shadow Cat continued its arc back towards the ground the five Elementals that had been hanging onto the OmniMech’s back jumped off onto another of the enemy BattleMechs.  The pilot had obviously encountered an Elemental swarm attack before and didn’t panic but it did tie up the pilot for several moments.

The paired Oro 2s and the two Hachimans bombarded the enemy Mechs with autocannon, laser and missile fire.  Within a minute five of the seven enemy Mechs were dead and burning.  Sandra twisted her Mech back towards her initial target and saw it was in retreat along with the other Mech of the same design.  Targeting both Sandra fired a pair of Medium Lasers into both Mechs.  Each Mech was only hit by a single laser but that was enough to knock both to the ground, the previously hit Mech exploded as it fell sending the other cartwheeling through the air on fire both were out of the fight.

Continuing their journey the Liger Star wasn’t approached again by native forces, although the entire time they were shadowed by a growing number of enemy Mechs, armoured vehicles and infantry.  Reaching Port Arthur instantly they could see the locally built buildings were dominated by the three DropShips and by the former Smoke Jaguar vehicles.  At the front gate of the settlement was a pair of Ares Main Battle Tanks still painted in classic Smoke Jaguar greys on the walls surrounding the town was a pair of Hachiman Support Tanks, which matched Sandra’s own vehicles.  Within the settlement Sandra was sure she had seen a massive Mars Assault Tank, which was the largest armoured vehicle ever built by the Clans.  Sitting in her Shadow Cat’s warm cockpit Sandra worried about the former Smoke Jaguar warriors going back on their deal, after seeing this firepower she wondered if her force could seize the correct parts by force.

Fortunately for the Ligers after a few tense moments Michael Furey and a group of unarmoured Elementals arrived and spoke with the Armour troops.  The two tanks then moved aside and allowed them to enter.  It was like the people of Port Royal had never seen a BattleMech before when the Shadow Cat walked down the street, with massive crowds coming out onto the street to see the Liger force, they were led to a small military compound built around the three DropShips.  Amazingly the DropShips were built into the compound with glass corridors connecting the DropShips to various buildings of the compound.  Dismounting from her Mech Sandra met with Michael Furey at the foot of the Shadow Cat “seems like you people were busy on the way here Quiaff?”

“Aff, a group of local machines attacked up, we fought them off.”  Sandra said as more of her people arrived “this is Technician Caitlyn, she’s one of our best Techs, and if you have the parts she can identify them.”

“Of course this is Tony Abernethy he is our senior technician, he can show her what we have.  I will give you a tour if you are willing?”

“As long as my people are well cared for I am all yours.”  Sandra answered, it felt strange but what was not strange on this planet?  Hopefully the parts were here so she could escape this world.  Of course they would still have to remove the parts without damaging them, fight through the forces outside Port Arthur, travel back to their own DropShip, fit the parts and then try to ascend through the atmosphere.  All in a days work…

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 01 November 2012, 00:32:47 »
Five

The facilities the former Smoke Jaguars had built on Twin Sons was impressive considering the limited resources they had.  Sandra was conscious that much of the resources that had been used to build this world had been taken but they impressive none the less.  “We can currently field a Trinary of these Tanks and a single star of the heavier machine.  They are superior to anything the locals can field and have almost as much mobility as your Shadow Cat if not the overall mobility.”  Furey was explaining as he and Sandra stood in one of the DropShip’s main bays.  In front of her was a hovertank like none she had ever seen, powered by a fusion engine, which was exceedingly rare on this world, it had eight missile tubes on the turret and a single cannon which Furey described as a Star League-era Light Particle Cannon, the first energy weapon developed on this world.  Sandra remained quiet over the fact that LPPCs as they were known in the Inner Sphere were quite common since their re introduction in the early 3080s, for them to have been developed on this world from simple plans was mightily impressive.

That was not to say the Smoke Jaguars had been completely unlucky, despite being abandoned by their Mech Commander they had found themselves under solid leadership in Furey and a couple of other Bloodnamed Elementals, and they had found their civilians were not just useful for manual labour.  Away from the constraints of the Clan caste system they had proven capable techs, engineers and scientists.  With working knowledge of Clan built weapons and equipment they had turned sheet metal into active systems.  “We have also captured at least a dozen of the local ultra-light Mech machines, the locals insist on calling them “Gears” where the term came from I have no idea.  We have had limited success in repairing and using them, the local neurohelmets do not appear entirely safe to use.  You on the other hand…”  He said looking out the bay door at the rebuilt Hunter.

“Aff, we had additional neurohelmets ready for salvage operations in case we had been lucky to encounter enemy Mech forces, the units are compatible with standard neurohelmets.  Unfortunately I have not pilots or helmets with me at the moment.”

“Perhaps when we take the parts to your ship we could borrow them?  A gesture of goodwill to secure our alliance, Quiaff?”  He asked obviously hoping for their use.

“I believe that may be possibly, Niops builds us plenty of additional helmets, despite the damage the Marians thought they were doing the system is a gold mine.”  She said she couldn’t be happier with the planet and its production she noticed that Furey looked worried.  “As could this world be Michael, Twin Sons is possibly the most developed world we have seen in this region of the Free Worlds League, something your people can be very proud about.”

“Even with our past?  This world’s difficult atmosphere?  And the warring factions on this world and its overall primitive technology base? Quineg”

“It has ways to go but in time I could see this world being a powerhouse of the Rim Association, with places for all its people.”  Sandra said carefully Michael’s points were all very valid ones but this world still had a lot of potential.  “First we have other problems, namely being that blockade force out there between us and our DropShip.  My people do not have the firepower to do it alone.”

“Neg, but we do together.  My light trinary will launch a diversionary attack on Mekong, the largest settlement to the south capable of launching this kind of attack.  The leader there is an old fool who claims he is the direct descendant of John Marik himself and that one day he will be leader of the greater Free Worlds League which is his destiny.”  Furey laughed at the thought of the old man “the sight of our Hovercraft will panic him and have his armour forces driving for the south.  At that point my heavy star will hit the north flank of the Southern force, my Battle Armour force will ride aboard our transport vehicle and provide close defence for the equipment.  Your star can escort us through the battle, once clear my light force will pull back and the battle will end.”

“Just like that, won’t they chase you back into the city?”

“Neg, they are afraid of what we could have in this city, my heavy armour force will remain on defence and they do not know Megiddo is still not operational.”

“Megiddo?”  Sandra asked unaware of anything by that name

“Something for your next visit and a mystery that will ensure your return.  Trust me Major it is something worth returning for.”  Furey said roaring with more laughter.

“I’ll have to hold you to that.”  Sandra said smiling, for a Smoke Jaguar Sandra found Furey to be a decent person in his own way, despite the obvious alcohol abuse he seemed to know a lot about this world and its people.

The next morning came rapidly.  The thirty light hovercraft used their jump jets to leap the far wall of Port Arthur completely avoiding the blockade force.  According to Furey the design for the jump jets and the computer that controlled them was a direct copy of those found on an Kanga Jump Tank which had been lost in battle.  The lighter machines only weighed in at thirty tons which according to Furey made the jump jets slightly more unpredictable while the heavier unit matched the Kanga’s fifty ton size making them more reliable.  As the light machines shot across the sands of the Badlands Sandra noted the units were already gaining some attention from light units of the blockade, almost immediately tracked and wheeled units that had supplemented the blockade forces Mechs were beginning to turn towards south, a large artillery unit fired several rounds at the hovercraft but they were moving far too quickly to be caught.  Soon after the ten heavier Smoke Jaguar hovercraft leapt over the north wall these gaining far less attention than the lighter units had gathered.  Furey explained that it would take at least an hour for the heavier units to move into position, around the same time the lighter machines would be approaching Mekong in the south gaining more attention of the blockade force.

Now Sandra sat in her Shadow Cat’s cockpit checking her systems for what seemed like the twentieth time.  On her Mech’s back were the five Elementals of her star.  Flanking the two large transport vehicles were both her Oro and Hachiman Tanks while David Ramirez in his Hunter stood beside her Shadow Cat.  On the transport vehicles were twenty-five Smoke Jaguar Elementals in Battle Armour, all their units lacked the missile packs normally found on Clan units, these Elementals having long ago used their missiles in combat.  Still twenty-five suits was not an insignificant force, one of them was Michael Furey who had insisted on joining the battle despite his advanced age.

“Jag One to Sierra One” Furey called “our strike force is engaging as we speak, we go in five minutes let their attention be taken.”

“Aff, standing by all Liger call-signs stand read, homebase we are preparing to leave Port Arthur, be ready for combat to come your way if we cannot disengage.”  She warned her DropShip, if the south force did not choose to disengage like Furey suspected this could be a very long day.

“We are ready Major” Sandra nodded they were ready, whatever happened, former Nova Cats and Smoke Jaguars on a forgotten world ready to walk into combat together.  How life was a funny thing Sandra though grimly as the clock ran down to zero.

“All call-signs, we are go protect the cargo transports and may our visions guide us, our armour protect us and our weapons do all the talking we have no words for.”  She said it was an impromptu speech but it embodied everything they needed today their future would be decided, stay here or return to the Rim Association, either way Sandra believed she would be happy.  But victory was the ultimate happiness.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 06 November 2012, 07:12:43 »
Six

Even with heavy defence fire from the Smoke Jaguar vehicles based in Port Arthur the blockading Mechs immediately opened fire on Sandra’s unit as soon as it left the settlement.  Fortunately most of the enemy units had only a single salvo with their missiles before being reduced to machine guns.

Some of the larger units the size of a twenty-five ton BattleMech seemed to move like assaults and were far heavily armed with multiple missile launchers on their “stumpy” arms.  The Mechs reminded Sandra of a Locust.  Beside them slightly smaller machines armed with what looked like mortars, grenade launchers and massive arrays of rockets were the next problem.

“Point 2 and Three, you need to concentrate on defending those transports work with the Elementals on board them but keep fire against them to a total minimum.”  She ordered dodging a flight of missiles from one of the smaller machines before returning fire with a pair of Medium Lasers.  “Point 6, keep mobile you don’t have the firepower or the armour for a stand up fight.”  She ordered David Ramirez “Do not allow us to become bogged down, keep moving forward even if one of our units is downed.  We get their parts to the DropShip or we are stuck here.”  A group of lights winked out as all her people acknowledged her orders the point of Battle Armour on her back didn't bother to reply instead acting as Elementals tended to do launching into the air assaulting a pair of enemy Mechs.  Missiles shot from their backs as they downed one Mech with ten Missiles before landing on a second enemy Mech beginning one of their feared swarm attacks.

Happy her people knew what they were doing Sandra charged her Mech forward at the cluster of enemy machines that anchored the centre of the enemy formation.  As she closed she triggered her Mech’s torso mounted autocannon as quickly as it would reload smashing all six of the Mechs with cluster rounds.  Individually they were smaller and slower than her Shadow Cat but together they could be a serious threat.  Both of the “locust” type Mechs opened fire with short range missile launchers and an under nose mounted cannon nipping away at her OmniMech’s armour.  Looking at the damage Sandra guessed the cannon was actually a big machine gun or some sort of primitive cannon as it did little damage while the SRMs behaved exactly like Short Range Missiles, together they would be a problem.

Launching her Mech into the air Sandra cut off a barrage of laser fire into one of the Mechs coring much of the armour.  She saw some sort of internal explosion as the cannon went offline but otherwise the Mech stood up to the fire.  Around her Shadow Cat the air was filled with missiles and rockets as her enemy tried to track the leaping OmniMech, several missiles tagged the Shadow Cat’s back as it began to fall back to the ground.  Ignoring the fire Sandra concentrated on bringing her Mech down on its feet.  Stumbling as it landed Sandra saw the left food actuator had taken some damage limiting its movement and her speed.  Ignoring the damage Sandra twisted her Mech’s OmniMech torso she fired another burst from her autocannon happy to see one of the enemy Mechs fall to the ground on fire.  The other Mechs continued to fire their hand held weapons, grenade launchers and mortars, fortunately the hand guns did little damage, both the mortars and grenade launchers appeared to be firing smoke rounds instead of causing damage.  With all the fire and smoke around Sandra was fighting with her instruments and could barely see the battle around her.

“Point One, we are breaching the enemy lines.”  One of the armour commanders reported Sandra could barely tell who under the noise behind him and around her Mech.

“Oh hell I’m going down!” there was a scream from David Ramirez followed by an explosion over to Sandra’s left she couldn’t see who had hit him or if he had ejected.  Instead she turned back to her own fight immediately into a group of SRMs.  Tightly packed sixteen missiles slammed into the Shadow Cat covering the Mech for a single moment in fire.  Sandra went from fighting a battle to fighting for control over her OmniMech as over two tons of armour was obliterated in seconds.  Firing her autocannon wildly Sandra could feel the temperature had risen in her cockpit, probably an engine hit too.  Blindly she launched her OmniMech into the air, as the forty-five ton machine flew through the air she saw one of the enemy Mech and fired all four lasers.  The heat in the Shadow Cat’s cockpit flew almost as high as the Mech’s actual jumping height as the head dispensation system failed to control the sudden surge however Sandra could clearly see the enemy Mech fall under her fire, another one down.

“Point One, we are clear” the same armour commander replied “you need to pull back” he suggested as Sandra’s Mech came down heavily on the sand dunes, somehow she saved the Mech from falling for a second as more missile fire ravaged the back of her OmniMech.  It was all over in a second, an alarm to her right activated as the ammunition bin of her autocannon was hit, the Mechs automatic Cellular Ammunition Storage Equipment activated containing the explosion, the cockpit roof exploded away and her ejector seat fired.

Soaring through the air away from her dying machine Sandra could see the battle was continuing both north and south of her position, she could also see she was arcing away from her DropShip.  She tried her comms but the air rushing past her knocked the words out of her mouth.  Her seat tumbled through the air for several moments smashing her head from side to side knocking her unconscious, the seat’s automatic parachute systems engaged and saved her from a deadly plummet towards the ground.  Her battle was over, her victory with her people escaping marred by her loss of her OmniMech and being stuck being enemy lines.

Several hours later Sandra Rimmer awoke lying on a comfortable bead in a darkened room; across from her was Michael Furey his head and arm both bandaged heavily.  “Welcome back to the land of the living.”  He said weakly, moving slowly Sandra sat up and looked around.

“Where are we?  What happened to my people?”  She asked as she realized they were neither at her DropShip or back at Port Arthur.

“After your Mech was destroyed” he stated, that alone brought pain to Sandra, that OmniMech although no more alive than the clothes on her back was one of the last things linking her to her past with Clan Nova Cat.  With its destruction she was now one of the dispossessed, something unthinkable to a Clan warrior, she wondered if she would ever pilot a Mech again.  “We able to get to your DropShip, three of your Elementals were dead and one of the Hachimans was ablaze.  Without being able to see you, I chose to begin a search for you with a small group of my Elementals while the parts were fitted.”

“Did the parts work?  Is my ship safe?”  She asked immediately interrupting again

“Would you allow me to finish, Quiaff?”  He asked raising his voice she nodded “I found you a short time later but as I approached a group of Southern infantry surrounded my position capturing both of us, my Battle Armour was too badly to fight them and protect you.”

“I’m sorry” she apologized “my ship?”

“It was my choice.  I came looking for you knowing that I may be captured.  The rest of your unit came under increasing fire from the natives, they left the planet…” he looked at his wrist at the watch that wasn't there “must have been a day ago” he said smiling weakly.

“So where are we?”  Sandra asked looking around their room, it was a drab looking place if there ever was one but not the most uncomfortable cell.  There appeared to be a separate toilet area and two beds, although she questioned if either would take Furey’s weight.

“You are guests of the Dominion of John Marik the Great, under the stewardship of Prime Marshal Anastasius Marik his blood grandson and true ruler of Twin Sons.”  Another voice said as the doors opened “you will be considered our guest, despite your aggression against our people, we understand you only wished to leave” he said addressing Sandra.  The man was in his late twenties dressed in an elaborate purple and gold uniform with hundreds of campaign medals “you are an enemy of the state and will be dealt with appropriately.”  He said turning on Michael Furey as several armed infantry entered with raised weapons.  Furey could have fought them off, Sandra was quite certain but the big Elemental simply nodded as he was taken away.  “What you do and what you say will depend on his survival.”  The newcomer said taking Furey’s chair “now you will tell me about your people, their technology and their plans for the Twin Sons.” He said smiling, Sandra could tell he enjoyed interrogating people, but he had never interrogated a Clan MechWarrior before.  She was content that her people had escaped, what the future brought was anyone’s guess, she would stay loyal to them whatever happened as she knew the Rim Association would be back to the Twin Sons and the Liger Warriors would have a second chance against the world.

Last part for now, I will continue this one at a later date as my AU catches up to this time period

I hope you enjoyed

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 16 April 2013, 03:00:20 »
Next part on the Twin Sons world - like before I haven't entirely decided where this will turn up in my timeline but it eventually will turn up there.  For now it's part seven of this spin-off story

Seven

Twin Sons
Independent World, Former Free Worlds League

After being held captive for more than a year Sandra Rimmer had been released from the custody of the Dominion of John Marik.  By all accounts of her captures no further probes had arrived from the Rim Association, she'd by all intensive purposes been abandoned by her former comrades to a world that was completely alien to her.  Fortunately as she left the prison facility she'd been held within she saw an instantly recognizable form standing waiting for her Michael Furey the former Smoke Jaguar Elemental warrior who had been exiled on the world many years before her stood waiting.  The massive warrior looked no worse off for his time as a prisoner, she'd not seen him since the day of her capture.  “Michael Furey I am glad to see you in good health.”  She said honouring his Smoke Jaguar bloodname.

“Sandra Rimmer” he greeted her in return “it has been too long, the Dominion were not keen to let you go.”

“I did not believe them when they said I would be soon free, you were released before me Quiaff?”

“Aff, Port Arthur has made many friends in recent months the Dominion knew it was a matter of time before we liberated you by force.”  He said turning towards a small ground vehicle.

“Port Arthur has become a force on this world, Quiaff?”

“Neg, but we are a voice that cannot be ignored not since the war” he said climbing into the four wheeled Jeep it visibly sagged under his weight but held up Sandra climbed in the other side as Furey started the ending.

“What war? They did not tell me much.”

“After your DropShip blasted and you were taken prisoner both the Northern states and the Southern got a little bit worried” Furey explained as he drove down the street on one of the corners stood one of the Twin Suns ultra-light Mechs, the design name Sandra couldn't remember, in its hand was a massive machine gun it was almost unlike anything she'd seen in the Clans or the Inner Sphere who had largely abandoned independent hand-held weapons in favour for weapons built onto a Mechs chassis.  Furey drove straight past the machine and down a side street avoiding nearly any known traffic laws.  “It is known as the six day war, both north and south pushed into the badlands treating it like their own little playground just like the Marik Twins that named this world.”  He explained “for six days Mechs and armoured vehicles died in droves neither side gaining any ground.  Port Arthur was overrun with refugees fleeing the fighting so we decided to intervene.  Our hovercraft are very mobile on the sands of the badlands we sent a force behind both North and South formations striking their supply and communication lines.”

“Did it work, Quineg?”  Sandra asked attacking supply lines was hardly Clan tactics but they were hardly Clan any more.

“Neg” Furey replied “there main battle-lines were not far from the settlement of Port Gale and one of the three MagLev lines that connect the south and north.  Both sides were using the MagLevs to bring in weapons because both North and South considered them neutral.   The battle passed onto Port Gale causing more than two hundred civilian casualties in collateral our leadership decided that the conflict was no longer about the north and south that the Badlands had to stand for itself.”

“Your leaders I thought you were their leadership?”

“I am but one of the bloodnamed we have” he said Sandra was surprised she thought Michael Furey was the leader of Port Arthur.  “Our council is made up of all the Bloodnamed, my vote was not enough to sway them to keep Port Arthur business separate from the Badlands business.”

“You did not want to fight?”

“I was happy to fight but the council decided they were more interested in making a name for Port Arthur, they said that the refugees had turned our settlement into one like any other.  We pushed into what remained of Port Gale, we also occupied the settlements of Fort Neil, Temple Heights and Lance Point merging their defence forces with our own.  We declared the territory the Port Arthur Defence Zone and off limits to both the North and South and placed a price on use of the MagLev line travelling through our territory.”  He said pausing as they reached a checkpoint on the outskirts of the city the guard looked at Furey disapprovingly as Furey handed his pass card over however the barrier raised soon after allowing them passage north into the Badlands.  “Neither side took kindly to our interference nor were they willing to pay our prices.  Our hovercrafts firepower kept them at bay while an Elemental Headhunter team captured the southern commander and eliminated the northern one.  Both sides pulled back until further commanders arrived neither sides army was willing to push us further, when the new commanders arrived both the Dominion of John Marik and Northern States of Cameron Marik agreed to a peace deal with the Port Arthur Defence Zone.”

“Sounds like your people have found a place on this world.”

“Perhaps it just depends on where we go from here.”  He said as their vehicle passed a Twin Son styled Mech wearing the colours and insignia of Clan Smoke Jaguar, colours that had not been seen on the battlefield in Sandra's time as a Clan Warrior.  “You have resurrected Clan Smoke Jaguar Quineg?”

“Neg, not quite” Furey said watching the Mech pass them “we have no genetics program or training sibkos.  Clan Smoke Jaguar's colours give our people a sense of identity.”

“Hopefully the Inner Sphere does not discover your reborn sense of identity.”

“We never lost it” he said as the vehicle reached the gates of Port Arthur where two more machines stood both painted in the Smoke Jaguar colours.  Both machines stood to attention as Furey drove into Port Arthur.   Furey drove straight into the Mechbay structure.

“Out of the cell straight into action...” Sandra said her voice drifting off as she saw the Mech standing in the bay “you rebuilt her” she whispered looking up at the forty-five ton Shadow Cat OmniMech “how?”

“After we formed the Defence Zone we found the Mech's remains near the lift of site of your DropShip the CASE saved it from complete destruction.  Anyone else on the planet would have struggled with the Fusion Engine repairs but our techs were able, unfortunately two of the lasers, the entire right arm and Autocannon were all totally destroyed.  It took some doing but we were able to remove one of the LB-5X Autocannons from one of our DropShips that we've integrated into our facilities here, a little less fire-power than the old one but better range and ammo.  Would you believe local manufactured metals have the same make up as Endo Steel without the orbiting facility?”

“Impressive” Sandra said not even thinking about what he was saying only having eyes for the Shadow Cat, she'd never thought she'd see the Mech again.

“Indeed it is, you two can get reacquainted later now I have someone you need to meet.”  Furey said nearly dragging Sandra away from the rebuilt OmniMech.  The two exited the Mechbay into a small two storey building, he led Sandra to the second level into a room with several seats and two tables, on one wall was the insignia of Clan Smoke Jaguar.  In front of it stood one man at least seventy years old wearing the uniform of a Smoke Jaguar Galaxy Commander that had patches from Clans Sea Fox, Star Adder, Wolf and Nova Cat sown into the arm each patch with a strike through it.  “Sandra Rimmer, allow me to introduce The Jaguar.”

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 19 April 2013, 04:03:47 »
Eight

Port Arthur, Twin Sons
Former Free Worlds League

“The Jaguar?”  Sandra said her anger boiling slightly “the same Jaguar who is known over a dozen Clan worlds?  A fallen warrior of a fallen Clan who wishes only revenge over those he thinks should have came to his Clan's aid against an enemy?”  She said never taking her eyes off the older warrior.

“See I told you she would have heard of me” The Jaguar said pleased at her knowledge not denying a word.

“I thought you would be taller.”  She said looking him down “Michael Furey, this man is a butcher wanted by all of the Clans, you do not want to be associated with him.”

“The Clans are a long way from here Sandra Rimmer, you are not even a member of a Clan any longer Quiaff?”  The Jaguar said Sandra only nodded she couldn't help but glance at the Nova Cat insignia on his uniform arm, the older warrior did not miss her gaze “I am not the warrior you believe I am.  My men and women only did what they needed to survive, our raids were built up by the Clans making us more feared so they could bring greater punishment to us if we were ever captured.  The Star Adders cornered my people on Ghent about two years ago, they slaughtered a quarter of my troops and many of our civilians.  I knew our time in the Homeworlds was coming to an end, and I knew that elements of my former Clan had fled to the broken Free Worlds League nation.  Through contact with several of them it brought us here exhausting the majority of our remaining fuel in the process.  I decided to land ahead of the others to see if we would be welcome?”  He said looking at Sandra.

“Why look at me?  I am a visitor as much as you.”  She said looking at Michael Furey

“Our council has agreed that should your Liger Warriors return, we will petition for the Port Arthur Defence Zone to join the Twin Sons.  We cannot speak for the North or South but we would like our people to live and die alongside fellow Clansmen.”

“Not all the Ligers are Clansmen now Michael Furey.  Our unit is part of the Rim Association, many of us have even given up our past with the Nova Cats.”  She said quietly the history between the Nova Cats and the Smoke Jaguars was a difficult one at best, they had never liked each other since events early in Clan history.

“Perhaps that is a good thing.”  The Jaguar said quietly “my people have fought your Clan recently, the changes your people have gone through will be a good way to remind my people that we are all different people than we used to be.”

“There are ground rules.”  Sandra said gaining confidence, if these people wanted to work with the Rim Association, she would act as a Rim Association officer again.  “No butchering of civilian targets or murdering of downed and surrendered pilots.”  She said looking at The Jaguar harshly “and open relations between your people, the people of the Port Royal and our people when they return.  Starting with your real identity?  The Clans built on the name you took for yourself and never informed us of your real name.”

“I believe those are terms that our Council also stressed when The Jaguar and his people first arrived, we are Clankin but we have lives here that we have built on ourselves.”

“Aff, I agree to your terms” The Jaguar said extending his hand towards Sandra Rimmer “I am Galaxy Commander Russou Howell of the Smoke Jaguar Clan” he said proudly “I commanded the defence of Huntress against the Inner Sphere forces before the arrival of ilKhan Osis.  After the Great Refusal I retreated with the few select loyal warriors I could find.  I currently command a mixed three Nova strong Cluster of former Smoke Jaguars and Dark Caste members and nearly two hundred civilians from the Clan Homeworlds who wish only a better life.  I haven't had a drink in nearly six months, mainly because we ran out, and we are transported by the CSJ Streaking Mist, a Black Lion-class Battle-cruiser.”  He finished Sandra could barely believe what she had just heard.

“Great Father...” she whispered Russou Howell had just presented her with something she had never expected when the Liger Warriors left Clan Nova Cat, a WarShip, perhaps Trent Higall's vision was finally paying off.

Hope you enjoy

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 19 April 2013, 18:21:22 »
A Black Lion for the Liger Warriors.
Life just got very interesting in that part of space. O0
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 25 April 2013, 03:59:15 »
A Black Lion for the Liger Warriors.
Life just got very interesting in that part of space. O0

Not the most operational Black Lion...

Newest part of this spin-off story hope you enjoy

Nine

Port Arthur, Twin Sons

“The Great Father be damned!” Russou almost instantly shouted followed by an almost evil laugh “the Streaking Mist has been maintained by the Smoke Jaguars since the fall of the Star League, the Great Father and founder did nothing for the ship nor did any of the other Clans including your precious Nova Cats!”  He said the spite in his voice for their former Clan brethren was unmissable.  “We have enough functional weapons and ammunition to turn fifty percent of the settlements on this world into slag that should knock the locals down enough pegs to allow our ground forces a foot hold and secure a quick bloodless victory.”  Russou Howell said talking about the deaths of hundreds as if it were nothing.

“Bloodless?  You're talking about another Turtle Bay!”  Sandra exclaimed in horror “did you not learn anything from the Smoke Jaguars fall?  The only reason the Inner Sphere chose them as a target was because of the actions at Turtle Bay and the Smoke Jaguar treatment of their civilians.”  She explained “my terms stated no butchering of civilian targets.”

“How we do our business is none of your concern.”  He said almost completely ignoring her words or the agreement he'd agreed to abide by.  “Michael Furey, I believe we should start in the northern hemisphere once it is secure we can target the southern region.”

“Neg” Michael Furey said quietly looking at Russou coldly

“Neg?  We should dominate this world!  Do not tell me you are taken in by this Nova Cat's words and false visions?”

“It has nothing to do with Sandra Rimmer's words or her former Clan it has to do with ours.  Russou, I was part of the Occupation Forces I fought in REVIVAL I saw what our people did, and why the Inner Sphere reacted how it did.”  He said his voice near breaking with the pain of the memories “we cannot do that here, we will not do that here.”  He said finally “the people of this world have a diverse culture that knows nothing of our failings of the past not have they held it against us that we are from beyond this world.”

“They did not react well to our arrival” Sandra Rimmer pointed out.

“No they did not but they did not react well to our arrival to begin with either.” Michael Furey said quietly “we stuck with it and they have begun to accept that we are as much part of this world as they are.  Russou your people are welcome in the Port Arthur Defence Zone, and we will supply you with any supplies you need to keep the Streaking Mist operational but that's it there will be no war of conquest against the people of this world.  If they choose to join with us it will be their own choice to do so.”

“My people have not had peace in sometime, perhaps a constantly warring world is the place for them to find home.  I will abide by these restrictions Michael Furey.  Sandra Rimmer, if any of your vessels approach we will allow them to pass but if anyone else comes near this world they will be destroyed – agreed?”

“Yes, although I have no idea when and if any further Rim Association forces will come to this world, perhaps my people will see it as too difficult considering the atmospheric problems.”

“If they do then you are most welcome in the embers of a reborn Clan Smoke Jaguar, with the world of the Twin Sons of Marik as it's new capital.  Uniting brothers long separated on a world long forgotten by the Inner Sphere.”  Russou Howell said smiling “together our people can have a glorious future, together the Inner Sphere and Clans will fear us once more.”  He said staring off into an as of yet unrealized future both Sandra Rimmer and Michael Furey exchanged glances unsure if Russou Howell's plans were good or bad for the inhabitants of the world.

There were several moments of silence before Russou Howell spoke again uttering a single word “Seyla” the traditional Clan agreement both Sandra Rimmer and Michael Furey through the shared Clan history both could not stop themselves repeating the word as they did the entire building began to shake.  Sandra made for the door followed closely by Michael Furey and then finally Russou Howell.  In the air around Port Arthur descended seven DropShips each bearing signs of heavy combat damage which had been patched together over time, each also carrying the insignia of Clan Smoke Jaguar.  “My people” Howell said quietly “they have have listened to our discussion my friends" he said revealing a hidden transmitter in his jacket collar "they have made their own choices to land on this world, they will abide by my agreements.”  Both Sandra and Michael exchanged looks of uncertainty, the Liger unit had arrived with a single DropShip and eventually brought an assault from the Southern realms now seven such craft were landing it was only time until further trouble erupted on the Twin Sons.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 25 April 2013, 04:25:39 »
Furey needs to replace Russou Howell soon or the Clanners may be toast on Twin Sons
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 26 April 2013, 10:31:47 »
Furey needs to replace Russou Howell soon or the Clanners may be toast on Twin Sons

Not just the Clanners on the planet...

Ten

Port Arthur, Twin Sons

It had been a month of continuous change on Twin Sons.  No-one had missed the arrival of Russou Howell's DropShips.  Across the world there was fear and anger at the arrival of further outsiders Twins Sons had been a world forgotten by the outside, and many on the world wished it had remained as such.  Both the Northern States of Cameron Marik and the Allied States of John Marik had deployed units to the borders of the Port Arthur Defence Zone, none had violated Port Arthur's claimed territory yet but it was only time daily the amount of troops and artillery grew, there was also rumours that both the North and South had released their “Capital” assets to support units around Port Arthur.  Standing atop one of Port Arthur's gatehouses Michael Furey looked over the sands of the Badlands knowing the war was coming “Michael Furey, you look worried” Sandra Rimmer said for the past month she had watched as Russou Howell had taken more and more resources to repairing and upgrading his DropShips for use in the Twin Sons turbulent atmosphere.

“I am” he admitted “my people feel a sense of rebirth, I worry that we are on the precipice of a final defeat.”

“Howell?”  She said quietly, Russou Howell had a cult of personality around him that had taken in both his own people and those that had settled in Port Arthur before.  Even now more and more of the inhabitants were referring to the Port Arthur Defence Zone as the “Clan Smoke Jaguar Occupation Zone.”

“Not only Russou” he admitted “Sandra Rimmer, my people have been lost for nearly thirty years, any of us that remember our past.”  He said turning towards Sandra “truely remember our past as Clan warriors are now old men and women.  But we remember our greatness.”

“The Nova Cats believe that age is something of worth, not just a burden, you can be an old warrior and a great one.”

“And that is the problem.”  Michael Furey said “look down there at the gates.  Just one month ago we had two Twin Son developed Mechs defending our gates, today we have two Clan designed and built OmniMechs piloted by trueborn warriors.”  He turned around looking into the Port Arthur compound “we have two full Stars of BattleMechs, two stars of vehicles and an entire star of Elemental suits.”

“A force to be reckoned with” Sandra admitted “but not enough for a world like this, the Twin Sons is a very well developed world.”

“This I know, as do most of Port Arthur's leadership but there is still the memory of our greatness and his damned belief that we have one thing they cannot match.”

“The Streaking Mist?”

“Aff, unfortunately Russou Howell does not know all of the Twin Sons secrets.”  He said “this world was a playground for House Marik's children, Cameron and John both played with this world giving it Mechs that could fight but not conquer, but in case anyone every did come here with a force worth they also provided it with Star League levels of defence.”

“Such as?”  She asked quietly

“Trouble we cannot weather.”

“Howell is planning on testing the resolve of the North and South by escorting a trade convoy to Peace River If he thinks he has the backing of your people too he will try and force a confrontation.  If you are right you cannot win that, Quiaff?” Sandra began but Michael Furey was already moving forwards.

“Aff, and in that case I must act” he said walking down the steps marching towards Russou Howell's powered down Mad Dog OmniMech.  “Russou Howell, I would like you to step down from this escort.”  He said looking at the MechWarrior as he prepared to ascend to his OmniMech.

“Neg, I need to see what this world is made of, it is only a simple escort.”

“Smoke Jaguars care little for escorts, you cannot spark a conflict we cannot win.”

“We were born for combat Michael Furey, perhaps in your old age you have forgotten this.  This little world is the perfect place for a Solahma to end his career in safety Quiaff?”

“Neg, it is the perfect place for us to rebuild, but it takes patience.”

“Patience is for the dead Michael Furey.”  Russou Howell said quietly turning towards his OmniMech “I will bring you the glorious patience you require Furey.”

“Negative, Russou Howell” Furey said reaching out grabbing the MechWarrior's shoulder Howell spun around extending his left arm towards Furey striking the Elemental's face.  Howell despite his advanced age was still a fit man but engaging an Elemental, even an aged one like Michael Furey, in unarmed combat was not his best plan.  Being struck outside a Circle of Honour was enough for Michael Furey moving quickly he hit Russou Howell in the face several times knocking him backwards, all around warriors both of Port Arthur and of Russou's forces gathered.

“I declare a Circle of Equals, you cannot strike me and get away with it!”  Howell shouted wiping blood from the corner of his lip.

“So be it” Michael Furey said flexing his arms “I will give you the fight you so want Russou Howell.”  He was ready to fight the man known as the Jaguar here and now.

“Not here, not now.”  Howell said looking around seeing the gathering warriors.  “You wish to prove to the people of this world that we are no threat?  Then we should engage in battle, your forces and mine, the people of this world know you Michael Furey, if they see you defeat us in combat they will know that their world is a retirement home for aged Clan warriors” he said bringing a laugh from several of Russou's warriors.  “And if I win they will know the might of Clan Smoke Jaguar!”  He said raising his voice getting several cheers of agreement.

“Our Clan can be reborn on these sands Russou Howell, but there are ways beyond crushing them under your feet.”  Michael Furey said “our people have made a life here, I will speak with the Northern and with the Southern commanders and explain our ways.  We will fight, a combined-arms arms unit of Star strength, tomorrow at noon on the sands of the Badlands.  If this is the place of our Clan's rebirth then we will do so in the open for all this world to see.”  He declared turning to walk away.

“So be it, tomorrow you will have all the patience you need Michael Furey, all the patience of a lifetime.”  Russou Howell promised as Michael Furey began to walk away.  The Elemental did not answer The Jaguar instead he continued to walk quietly into the command building with Sandra Rimmer behind.  A line had been drawn in the sand, the future of Port Arthur and perhaps even their Clan would be decided the only way Clan Smoke Jaguar could ever understand, by blood.

Hope you enjoy

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 26 April 2013, 18:33:38 »
Someone remember to attach a Narc beacon to Howell's seat. >:D :D
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 01 May 2013, 11:59:33 »
Eleven

Badlands, Twin Sons

Several kilometres from Port Arthur the two wayward factions of Clan Smoke Jaguar faces on the sands of the Twin Sons.  Beyond them units of both the Northern and Southern realms waited in case the Smoke Jaguars were actually deciding that this would be a good time to launch an assault not understanding that this was a conflict that the people of Port Arthur would settle only by combat.

As agreed the day before both sides had taken combined-arms units of Star strength Russou Howell had almost predictably gone with his own Mad Dog, a Hunchback IIC standard Clan BattleMech, a pair of Ishtar Heavy Support Tanks and two points of Elemental Battle Armour for his star.  His own Mad Dog was configured as a Long Range Missile Boat capable of saturating targets from range.  The Hunchback IIC was a dangerous design with paired Ultra-type Autocannons while the Ishtar's were a very common Smoke Jaguar armoured vehicle with heavy autocannon and Long Ranger Missile support options combining weapon types from both the Mad Dog and Hunchback IIC into one frame unfortunately they were also wheeled vehicles which would hinder them in the Badlands.

Unable to select a large variety of standard Clan equipment like his opponent Michael Furey had instead stuck with what his people were most familiar with.  His own Elemental Point was backed by two locally produced Heavy Hovertanks and two Light Hovertanks between their mix of speed, autocannons and missiles they should be enough to counter the heavier Ishtar's their Jump Jet systems would give them an advantage beyond anything that Russou Howell's forces had.  Sandra Rimmer's Shadow Cat and a pair of Ares Medium Tanks made up the last elements of the Star, Sandra Rimmer was not a member of the Port Arthur Defence Force but she had agreed to assist him and provide much needed Mech support while the two Ares Medium Tanks had been part of the Port Arthur Force since they were abandoned in the system, their tracks would put them at a disadvantage but their missile batteries would help match those on Russou Howell's Mad Dog and their lasers would provide a constant threat to all The Jaguar's forces.

“Sandra Rimmer, I owe you a debt of gratitude for your assistance” Michael Furey said into his communication system looking up at the rebuilt Shadow Cat unlike before when the Mech had been painted in nearly standard Nova Cat colours it was now painted in the desert camouflage that was far more common on the Twin Sons.

“I owed you as much Michael Furey, your actions ensured that my people were able to return to their homes.  And since their escape you have provided me with shelter and a new place to call home.”  She replied from her cockpit.

“This will be a tough fight” he said quietly “they out gun us significantly Quiaff?”

“Aff but we have mobility and surprise on our side.  Most likely the Hunchback will be our biggest threat, it could take out any of our units with a single salvo.”

“The perfect choice for a weak warrior in his initial trial.”  He said with disdain the Hunchback IIC with its Ultra Autocannons were designed for one mission to kill an enemy Mech very quickly with as little skill required.  It was the perfect Mech for the warrior trainee that was not confident in his first Trial of Position.  “If you do not mind giving me a lift, I think I can take care of it.”  Sandra Rimmer replied with a single click “good switching channels” he said “Star this is Command, Point 1 will engage the Hunchback after a lift from Point 5.  Point 2 will engage the Ishtar, be wary of their Autocannons use your speed to avoid their fire.  Point 3 you are on anti-Elemental duty, Point 5 will assist you after delivering Point 1.  Point 4 you are on counter battery duties against Howell's Mad Dog, keep him dancing too much to bother the rest of us.”  There was a series of clicks in reply “Remember, we are no longer Clan, neither are our opponents ignore Zellbrigen for the good of our people and our future.” there was another series of clicks “good then we are ready.”  He said looking up at the Twin Sons sky today would determine the fate of his people, they would not fail.

“Russou Howell, you do not understand the ways of the Twin Sons people or of those of Port Arthur.  Your inability to change to match your environment is the exact same problem our Clan had.  I will not allow you to do to us what happened to them.  I declare this Trial of Possession for command and ownership of everything that is yours.  This Trial is between us and the forces we have assembled, may no other enter.”

“I accept your challenge Michael Furey, you are as timid as the Nova Cat you are snuggled up with, we are Smoke Jaguars it is our birthright to rule.  All should tremble at our name and raise to our cause.  We are destined to be the ilClan, all others should know their place and conform to our rule.  And you will have your patience today.”  Howell replied

“Seyla” they both said together ending the rite.  Michael Furey and his Elemental point leapt up onto Sandra Rimmer's Shadow Cat which immediately began to accelerate.  Both Ares Medium Tanks began firing their missiles at Russou Howell's OmniMech as all four Hovertanks accelerated off in the other direction following their orders.

As the Shadow Cat closed on the Hunchback IIC Sandra fired her own autocannon and lasers at the Elementals which were moving towards her OmniMech.  The lighter Hovercraft of the Port Arthur cut across the Shadow Cat's path showering Howell's Elementals with Short Range Missile and autocannon fire Sandra cut in with further laser, autocannon and gauss rifle fire the locally manufactured weapons acted almost exactly like their Clan manufactured counterparts.  In the backfield the heavier Hovercraft were firing on the Ishtar tanks which were vainly trying to track them with their turret autocannons.  As the Shadow Cat ran across the battlefield Michael Furey and his Elemental point leapt from their positions onto the Hunchback initiating a swarm attack.  Sandra instantly launched her OmniMech into the air avoiding autocannon fire.

The Hunchback pilot tried to swat off Michael Furey's Elementals Russou Howell's Mad Dog was continuously being showered by long range missile and laser fire his counter fire against the two Ares tanks was proving to be less than effective.  The Elementals were clambering over the Hunchback tearing up armour, the pilot swatted one of the battle armoured troopers to one side with one of its arms.  The trooper flew off the BattleMech smashing into the ground, amazingly after a moment or two the warrior began to get back up again only to be engaged on the ground by another Elemental.  On the fifty ton BattleMech's back Michael Furey dug his suit's battle claw deep into the Mech's armour, raising his other arm he fired the laser mounted there cutting through armour, from the suit's back he launched both short range missiles mounted there blasting away more armour from the Hunchback.  The other three Elementals still stuck to the BattleMech were all doing the same and the pilot was having a tough time keeping his balance one of the missile detonations tipped off the Ultra autocannon's ammo bin.  The Mech's CASE system activated channelling the blast out the Hunchback's back one of the Elementals was blasted off the Hunchback's back by the blast vaporizing the trooper.

Across the battlefield the Elementals of Howell's command were being cut to shreds by autocannon and missile fire from the light hovertanks while the heavier hovertanks were cutting into the armour of the Ishtars.  One of the Ishtar's autocannons tore across the side of the hovertank shattering armour damaging the vehicle's engine.  The over tank spun out smashing into the ground, moments later the vehicle's turret turned back on the Ishtar as the crew continued to fight despite the damage to their vehicle.  Further autocannon and laser fire from the Ishtar crushed the remaining armour of the heavy hovertank consuming the crew in fire.  Howell was becoming tired of the continuous long range missile fire and was marching steadily towards the two Ares which were continuing to fire laser and missile fire at the heavier OmniMech as it closed.  Sandra Rimmer walked her Mech behind the Mad Dog firing laser and autocannon fire into the heavy design's weaker rear armour cutting through the armour into its vital internal systems.

Russou Howell the seasoned veteran he was continued to march forwards towards the paired Ares firing combined large and medium pulse laser weapons from the arm mounted pods cutting into the armour of the tracked vehicles.  Sandra continued to fire destroying more of the Mad Dog's internal structure and vital systems damaging the gyroscope.  Howell's Mech stumbled forwards however it kept its feet, now close enough he charged forward and kicked one of the two Ares smashing the view port killing the driver.  A scream came over the communications “Furey!  Look at what you have reduced us to!”  He shouted “fighting like dezgra dogs over scraps of meat and land!  We should have ruled this world together as brothers!”

“Brothers quarrel Howell, allies work together no matter what they personally want.”  Michael Furey replied leaping from the Hunchback IIC as the pilot succumb to the Elemental swarm attack.  His remaining two point mates joining him on the sands as they moved forwards towards Howell's embattled Elementals.  Russou Howell marched up to the second Ares kicking the vehicle's left track knocking the tracks loose of the vehicle while turning one of his Mech's pulse lasers onto the turret of the Ares savaging the weapons systems mounted there.

“I will kill you wall, one by one you will fall to my guns, I will reforge Clan Smoke Jaguar and all the Clans will tremble when they hear my name.”  He continued to rant turning his Mad Dog, standing in front of the Heavy OmniMech Sandra Rimmer's Shadow Cat stood.  “And finally our ancient enemies rear their ugly face, you're clan will be among the first to be forfeit!”

“Russou Howell, I challenge you to a Circle of Equals!”  Sandra Rimmer said over an open communication “your beliefs are flawed the people of this world are not ants for you to crush, the Clans will never even know your name!”

“Fear me little Nova Cat.”  Howell said firing on the Shadow Cat with his pulse lasers.  Sandra returned fire with her autocannon and anti-personal weapons.  As she cut to the right she triggered both medium lasers burning away further armour from the Mad Dog's legs, arms and torso.  Howell's rely was a combined medium and large pulse laser assault one of the large pulse weapons burned into the Shadow Cat's left leg.  Launching the OmniMech into the air on its jump jets Sandra twisted the Mech's torso and cut off an autocannon blast at the Mad Dog, the slugs slammed into the torso section ruining the LRM launcher there, Sandra suddenly realized that Furey hadn't used the LRM system at all landing her Shadow Cat she turned towards the Mad Dog and ran closer firing the autocannon, lasers and anti-personnel weapons all at the same time cutting into the heavier Mech.

As the distances closed Howell fired his remaining LRM launcher showering Sandra's Mech in missiles as her OmniMech staggered under the missiles Howell laughed “just because I don't use does not mean it doesn't exist.”  He said chuckling as Sandra retreated further pulse laser fire followed her in her retreat cutting away more of the Mech's armour.

“You are slipping Howell listen to your own words.”  Sandra taunted launching her Mech into the air again almost as soon as it had landed this time she angled the Jump Jets forcing the OmniMech into an awkward reverse jump.  Jumping a Mech backwards was according to her original instructor stupid, although a pilot had rear cameras and knew approximately knew how far they would be travelling there was nearly no-way to be certain how and where the Mech would come down.  It was also a decidedly unnatural move to make, Mechs were generally built along human structured lines with a head on top of a torso that had two arms and two legs, or a Mech with four legs which was more like an animal.  Although a Mech used jump jets powered by its Fusion engine to achieve a jump it still had to land just like a human would from a jump, and jumping backwards at full strength was not something most humans were good at.

As the OmniMech flew through the air Sandra triggered both of her Medium Lasers aimed down at the Mad Dog below the first bore into the rear armour of the Mad Dog's head.  The armour burned away Howell screamed in anger and possibly pain the second laser burned down through the upper torso armour hitting the  engine shielding.  When the Shadow Cat landed on the ground four things happened nearly instantly after the next.  Firstly Sandra pressed the trigger on the Mech's autocannon.  Second the impact with the ground shattered and twisted the left foot actuator severing it completely from the leg, then the Mech tripped over its twisted and broken leg finally it slammed into the ground shredding the rear torso armour.

Quickly Sandra rolled her Mech onto the left side using the lower arm actuators to help wedge the Mech up quickly the right hand side was made up entirely by the autocannon mounted there.  Looking at her armour graph Sandra noted that the Shadow Cat's rear armour was almost entirely gone she'd have to watch for future damage there.  Scanning around she couldn't see the Mad Dog it wasn't fast enough to get out of her visual range, glancing down she saw OmniMech laying on the ground completely shut down further explosions on the rear of the Mech showing here her autocannon shells had torn into the same place where the lasers had struck.  Howell's Mech was either shut down from damage, Howell was dead or a combination of the two.

Around them the Smoke Jaguars on both sides of the battle were winding down their battles with the forces of Russou Howell shutting down their weapons or turning their turrets away from their targets, the battle was over Howell was defeated even if he was alive.  Over the next couple of hours Michael Furey was able to convince all the Smoke Jaguars including those aboard the Streaking Mist that his was was best, both commanders from the North and South agreed to give forces of Port Arthur space understanding that the newly arrived forces were not a new invasion force and Port Arthur would not be a threat to them, at least not immediately.

Last part for now, there will be more from this little planet sometime soon

Shadow_Wraith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: 01 May 2013, 13:25:06 »
 O0 Looking forward to your next update to see how the Jaguar's will reinvent their clan!  keep it up!

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 01 May 2013, 14:47:02 »
For anyone interested the planet profile of the Twin Sons.

http://www.ourbattletech.com/forum/factions/planet-profile-the-twin-sons/

David CGB

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: 02 May 2013, 03:48:20 »
sweat tale, very very cool
Federated Suns fan forever, Ghost Bear Fan since 1992, and as a Ghost Bear David Bekker star captain (in an Alt TL Loremaster)

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 28 December 2013, 04:40:40 »
Finally at the point where I can call this spin-off story finished obviously as it's part of the larger timeline I'll be returning to the planet at some point but for now this story has come to a close I hope you enjoy.

Joining Ceremony
Lesnovo, Rim Association
Former-Free Worlds League
28th July 3089

For a nation that had expanded largely through military means it was nice for the people of the Rim Association to celebrate an expansion through the work of peace.  It was slightly ironic that on this day they were welcoming a world that was so divided within their numbers.  Today the Twin Sons system officially joined with that of the Rim Association however with a condition that the worlds current form of rulership with the North, South and Badlands all ruling themselves not change.

Initially the Rim Association had refused however a solution had been found.  The Twin Son ambassador to the Rim Association would be from the Badlands but would be supported by an aide from both the North and the South both of whom would be empowered to speak for their area of the Twin Sons.  The planet itself would cater to its own defence and own rule only consulting with the Rim Association during times of war.  The Twin Sons themselves had little to no interest in military conquest beyond their own world.

Near the back of the hall Michael Furey stood out of the way.  His Smoke Jaguars were part of none of this he had chosen to keep them separate from it and he had asked for their identity to remain a secret with the Twin Sons leaders had agreed to.  His people were still few in number and he had no intention on revealing the last of Clan Smoke Jaguar just yet.  Beside him stood Sandra Furey (formerly Sandra Rimmer) the former Nova Cat warrior and Rim Association Major glanced held her pregnant belly as she watched silently.  “A grand day” Michael Furey said to his recently married wife.  “A shame he misses it.”  He said quietly having a child the freeborn “natural” way was strange but had been quite fun many of the former Smoke Jaguars within his people had been shocked, they had barely gotten used to having Sandra around as a liaison only to find she was now one of them.

“It could be a she” Sandra said quietly “and I am sure he feels the grand occasion it is.”

“I hope that is not some of your Nova Cat superstition, Quineg?”  He joked quietly

“Well if it is he or she will be all the better for it.”  She teased “where do we go from here?”

“I think that now we are part of a grander nation we will spread our paws slightly.”  He said confidently it had been his Smoke Jaguars who had come up with the reinforcements necessary to allow DropShips to ascend and descend through the Twin Sons atmosphere without incident.  They were still working on VTOLs and Aerospace Fighters but so far to no success.  “First things first we will offer our services to making DropShips from the Association capable of landing on our world that will bring some good will.”  He suggested

“We are already gaining good will the North and South are already battling, around a table this time, for the right to supply the Rim Association with Ultra-light Mechs and their hand-held weapons to local militias and the Rim Association military.  Some of the Nova Cats that serve in the military have looked at the examples we took with us they see the similarities to Clan technology in its manufacture.”  She pointed out “how long will it be until another state finds out that they could produce Clan technology on our world without need of expensive space stations or refined techniques?”  She asked concerned.

“Not long” Michael Furey admitted “which is why I am going to also enquire about getting some Capital Grade weapons and parts for the Streaking Mist.”  He said in a hushed voice keeping the Streaking Mist a secret had been another condition of the Smoke Jaguars agreeing to what was going ahead.  “We have the Crawlers for planetary defence which are being restored but having that ship returned to glory is our next goal.”

“For our defence” Sandra prompted seeing the Smoke Jaguar desire in him.

“Of course, we are but one planet, one WarShip, one Clan.”  He said quietly “we know when it is to bide our time, we have done so far and we will continue to.”  He said as the audience began to applause with the signing of the agreement.  The Twin Sons were officially back on the maps and part of a grander nation again.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #24 on: 28 December 2013, 09:15:27 »
Bookmarking for further developments!  Thanks Dragon Cat!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki