Author Topic: Andurien Wars  (Read 4388 times)

Terminax

• Lieutenant
  • Never despair. Never surrender.
Andurien Wars
« on: 07 December 2012, 13:17:35 »
It's 3020, and you're Dame Catherine Humphries. You've been rolling the idea of taking Andurien's ball and leaving the Free Worlds League... but not yet. The timing just isn't right. But it bears thinking upon. What to do... what to do...

And just to give a couple of other parameters:

a) Keeping in mind that SAFE is keeping an eye on you and you know that SAFE is, you can't funnel allot of your spare change from between the seat cushions into whatever you do. You've got a budget of ten million (10,000,000) C-Bills you can spend each year from 3020 to 3030.

b) The Mariks of course are your enemy. So are their fan clubs in Oriente and Orloff. The Regulans are jerks. While the Canopians are your close friends and will definitely help out when the time comes, you can't help but feel a premonition that they are really can't help you carry that really big couch into your new digs so maybe you should make more friends. But who to talk to...

C) Okay, I lied, it's more like four things. The Steiners and the Davions are those wealthy people down the street that could give a **** about your problems. Talking to them is probably isn't going to help any and probably will make them worse. You know the type... tell them you need a little help dealing with the neighbors between you and they instead rat you out to them and then the lawyers get involved... so don't go talking to the richies okay?

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
Re: Andurien Wars
« Reply #1 on: 07 December 2012, 13:47:21 »

b) The Mariks of course are your enemy. So are their fan clubs in Oriente and Orloff. The Regulans are jerks. While the Canopians are your close friends and will definitely help out when the time comes, you can't help but feel a premonition that they are really can't help you carry that really big couch into your new digs so maybe you should make more friends. But who to talk to...

I'd like to point out that the Mariks were not the enemy of Andurien until they made friends with the Capellans.  Catherine Humphreys was an extremely withdrawn member of Parliament, and was infamous for voting nothing but "no" on any motion.  Even when Anton Marik was running all over the place, Andurien refused to get involved until Janos told them they had to get involved.

In fact, the whole reason the Duchy of Andurien went rogue was to attack the weakened Capellans after FWLP shot down Catherine's proposal to finish off the Cappies for good.  Janos promised Romano that the FWL would take care of Andurien to avoid a larger war.  That was when the Mariks became the enemy, not before the Defenders of Andurien crossed the border into Cappieland.  The Canopians were opportunists and bugged out when the Cappies found their backbone.  They were, in all likelihood a Plan B partner in the invasion once the FWL refused to be dragged in.

Catherine's actions seem perfectly understandable.  Anduriens hate Cappies with real intensity.  The CapCon looked like it was circling the drain and the League looked like it was in shape to do something about that.  If Janos had not reacted the way he did, making peace with Romano, who knows how things could have turned out.  I understand Catherine's actions.  She may have died disgraced, but her niece oversaw a lasting Andurien independence.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 07 December 2012, 14:48:07 »
House Humphreys had a personal grudge against their liege of House Marik following the death of Morgraine Humpreys, Catherine's mother, in a failed coup in or around 2992.

Two recently released German BattleTech novels cover the Andurien war, Andurien-Kriege I: Präludium & Andurien-Kriege II: Zorn ("Prelude" & "Fury"). The novely go back decades to explain how Dame Catherine Humphreys carefully and patiently bid her time to prepare.
They novels are apocryphal, but I've been told the Line Developer (Herb) gets a plot summary of each German novel to be published, which gives me hope they may be translated and thus canonized some point down the line. Here's hoping...
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #3 on: 07 December 2012, 20:33:52 »
Hello,

They novels are apocryphal, but I've been told the Line Developer (Herb) gets a plot summary of each German novel to be published, which gives me hope they may be translated and thus canonized some point down the line. Here's hoping...

You were told wrong.

Thank you,

- Herbert Beas
  BattleTech
  Catalyst Game Labs

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #4 on: 07 December 2012, 23:19:56 »
a) Keeping in mind that SAFE is keeping an eye on you and you know that SAFE is, you can't funnel allot of your spare change from between the seat cushions into whatever you do. You've got a budget of ten million (10,000,000) C-Bills you can spend each year from 3020 to 3030.

Given the measly budget and the multiple potential FWL opponents listed, I think the only potentially viable solution is to use a very dirty bag-of-political-tricks/psyops/deep black ops/false flags to play these FWL factions against each other.  Basically, you want to do what the Word of Blake did at the outset of the Jihad in playing the Houses against each other, but on a smaller scale.  Make the major FWL factions care more about each other than they care about whether the Duchy is seceding at the time of the Andurien secession.  Ideally, these factions would either be in a civil war or at the brink of one when the Humphreys feign disgust at the whole situation and declare their independence.  While the FWL factions sort out their problems (problems the Anduriens created or brought to the fore), the Anduriens seek diplomatic recognition, solidify their allies, and fortify.  By that time, it will be too late for the rest of the FWL to bring the Anduriens back into the fold, at least not without paying too high a price. 

C) Okay, I lied, it's more like four things. The Steiners and the Davions are those wealthy people down the street that could give a **** about your problems. Talking to them is probably isn't going to help any and probably will make them worse. You know the type... tell them you need a little help dealing with the neighbors between you and they instead rat you out to them and then the lawyers get involved... so don't go talking to the richies okay?

The Canopian Magistracy Intelligence Ministry would be a very experienced, valuable, and deniable asset for the type of disinformation/finger-pointing/blame-throwing/chaos-sowing campaign envisioned above.  But I have no idea whether the Humphreys or anyone else outside certain House Lords and their intel agencies had any in-game knowledge of secret MIM assets like the Active Response Corps and Ebon Magistrate, such that the Humphreys could even ask the Centrellas to lend them a few teams.

The other ally you could turn to is ComStar.  Given what happened to Rasalhague and St. Ives some years later, ComStar is very interested in helping smaller states secede and breaking up the Houses around this timeframe.  Their help could be both covert (ROM intel and teams, maybe even ComGuard black flag ops) and overt (diplomatic recognition).  In fact, ComStar could be more into destabilizing the FWL and bringing their first House down than about Andurien secession, especially before the formation of the Federated Commonwealth.  But again, I have no idea whether the Humphreys or anyone else outside certain House Lords and their intel agencies (and WolfNet) really understood that ComStar was playing these kinds of destabilization games with the Houses back in this timeframe.

(Of course, secretly allying with ComStar is like making a deal with the devil, especially if ROM is involved.  Some years after secession, the Humphreys might all be dead and the Duchy a ComStar protectorate.)

Finally, although I think it's realistic for the Duchy to undertake this kind of FWL destablization/Andurien seccession campaign with some help from Canopus or ComStar (or both), the Andurien leadership has never struck me as the plotting type that could conceive of such a plan.  The Anduriens are not white hats, but they've never seemed high enough on either the I.Q. scale or sinister scale to even think of doing something like this (nevertheless pull it off).  Dame Catherine seems to fit the Humphreys mold, inserting her foot into her mouth publicly and doing little behind the scenes.  I think you'd have to introduce a new character -- a conniving family member (maybe a bastard child to explain their un-Humphrey-like ambition and I.Q.) or a Rasputin-like character outside the family that's pulling Catherine's strings from behind the throne and putting the plot together for her.

My 2 c-bills... hope it helps.
« Last Edit: 07 December 2012, 23:25:26 by Natasha Kerensky »
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 08 December 2012, 03:22:30 »
You were told wrong.
:(  Oh. Thanks for clearing this misconception up then.

I still say CGL should seek to integrate German material into canon - it's irksome to have two distinct canon lines for the German fans, or at least for me.
« Last Edit: 08 December 2012, 14:05:38 by Frabby »
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Isanova

• Lieutenant
  • There you are!
« Reply #6 on: 08 December 2012, 12:57:10 »
Keep in mind that the MIM was not the juggernaught it was in the 3050s yet. Certainly more capable than SAFE after Anton, but they didn't get the mysterious suffusion of cash and training until later IIRC. Pleasure circuses are good for planting people and watching the economy, but I think they were only starting to be allowed freer reign with the end of the 3rd war. Probably not in CapCon territory though.

I wouldn't trust ComStar either, even in-character remember the periphery had a healthy dislike of Comstar. Maybe to the tune of organizing communications and economic ties with the humpfreys, but not to the point of letting them know you plan a war of independence & conquest. I seriously doubt they'd take well to the concept of the CC ceasing to be.

I would try to mess with the FWL economy by playing small politicians off for favors, try to make sure things are in a better position elsewhere when Andurien announces it's succession (which they seemed to do)

In hindsight, I would have spent much of the treasury for a strong merc unit or units... use them to break the CCAF strong spots and stiffen the invasion force. I might have also stopped after taking Betelgeuse and some other border worlds, and giving the CC a licking. If they don't have the strength to retaliate, they look like even more of a joke and you look like a successful new nation.
Freeborn and proud~

Terminax

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 10 December 2012, 16:32:22 »
At least someone is trying.  :)) Keeping those ideas coming.

Brush Wars clearly indicates the Duchy of Andurien and the Magistracy of Canopus were discussing their plans for around a decade before they invaded the Capellan Confederation.

In my rough draft for a future campaign (next summer, as I'll be sick to death of the current campaign in the Oberon Confederation by then), I'm planning of redoing the Andurien Wars with my players directing part of the campaign as the several of the major actors AND as characters at the front of various. My AU starts around the end of the 4th Succession War, with Ridzik surviving the second assassination attempt which in canon, he of course didn't. Finding himself with a sudden appreciation of life, he uses the wealth he's suborned by his recent conquests from the FWL to hire on the sly several mercenary units to support a second wave of attacks on the FWL by his Republican units. The attacks on three more FWL worlds occur, and in the course of these actions Ridzik gets himself killed and events mostly proceed as canon from there. The mercenary units, having been hired directly by Ridzik suddenly find themselves in the cold since their now dead employer's promises aren't about to kept by the Federated Suns regency and thus, become very available to Andurien. This answers the problem of getting Andurien some additional forces to work with.

I'm also mulling the idea that Tormano does not become a "guest" of the Federated Suns and via a very roundabout route makes his return to Capellan space and splits the Confederation's leadership into two seperate camps. The other major change I'm thinking of, is straight out offing Thomas Marik and leaving Duncan Marik in firm command of the Free Worlds League. No reappearing Thomas (either him or the Thomas Halas stand-in) to step in to save the day.

bigmac

• Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 12 December 2012, 16:39:41 »
I have noticed that you intend to play a campaign based on the Defenders of Andurien.  So I have included all of the cannon information about the Defenders so you can run your campaign:

In 3025, the FWL had three different rank structures: Marik, Oriente, and Andurien.  Unfortunately, I am on the road and can’t e-mail you the pictures of the Andurien ranks but someone else might be able to do that for you.  However, I have the ranks listed below:

Andurien Ranks
Officers
Major General
Lieutenant General
Colonel
Major
Flag Captain
Force Captain
Lieutenant

Enlisted
Master Banner
Banner
Serjeant (official Andurien spelling of Sergeant)
Junior Serjeant
Thegn (pronounced thane – senior corporal)
Corporal
Private

This is the listing of the commanding officers of the Defenders of Andurien in 3025:

Defenders of Andurien – 3025
Commanding Officer: Major General Sir James Coker

1st Defenders of Andurien
CO: Lieutenant General Xeng Garibaldi
Experience Level: Veteran
‘Mech Weight: Medium
Aerospace Fighter Weight: Heavy

3rd Defenders of Andurien
CO: Lieutenant General Menio Drews
Experience Level: Regular
‘Mech Weight: Heavy
Aerospace Fighter Weight: Medium

4th Defenders of Andurien
CO: Lieutenant General Farell “Flying Fish” Nogales
‘Mech Weight: Light

5th Defenders of Andurien
CO: Colonel Jimmy “Jayhawk” Lee
Experience Level: Regular
‘Mech Weight: Heavy

6th Defenders of Andurien
CO: Lieutenant General Mildred Humphreys
‘Mech Weight: Medium
Aerospace Fighter Weight: Light

The Defenders of Andurien battlemech regiments are heavily reinforced and consist of three battlemech battalions, an armored battalion, an artillery battalion, and an aerospace wing.  So the following will be the organization of a Defenders of Andurien regiment:

Defenders of Andurien Battlemech Regiment (5 battalions, aerospace wing)

1st Battlemech Battalion (36 battlemechs)
1st Battlemech Company (12 battlemechs)
2nd Battlemech Company (12 battlemechs)
3rd Battlemech Company (12 battlemechs)

2nd Battlemech Battalion (36 battlemechs)

3rd Battlemech Battalion (36 battlemechs)

Unofficially, every battlemech battalion will have a command lance and the regiment will have a command company of two to three lances.  So a Defenders of Andurien would have a battlemech strength of 128 to 132 battlemechs.

Heavy Armored Battalion
Command Lance (4 – 5 tanks)
1st Heavy Armored Company (10 – 15 heavy tanks)
2nd Heavy Armored Company (10 – 15 heavy tanks)
3rd Light Armored Company (12 light tanks)

Artillery Battalion
1st Self-Propelled Artillery Battery (4 – 6 Long Tom cannons; or 6 – 8 Sniper cannons)
2nd Self-Propelled Artillery Battery (4 – 6 Long Tom cannons; or 6 – 8 Sniper cannons)
3rd Self-Propelled Artillery Battery (4 – 6 Long Tom cannons; or 6 – 8 Sniper cannons)
Support Company – 5 Light Tank Lances (20 light tanks)

Aerospace Wing
Command Lance (2 aerospace fighters)
1st Aerospace Squadron (6 aerospace fighters)
2nd Aerospace Squadron (6 aerospace fighters)
3rd Aerospace Squadron (6 aerospace fighters)

Above the regimental level, the Defenders are organized into divisions consisting of:
First Brigade
Defenders of Andurien Regiment
Armored Regiment (either heavy or light) – Heavy consisting of 60 to 80 heavy tanks plus support vehicles or a light regiment consisting of 100 to 120 light tanks

Second Brigade consisting of one of the following:
Armored Brigade
4 light armored battalions
2 mechanized infantry regiments (8 mechanized battalions in total)

Jump Infantry Brigade
2 jump infantry regiments (2 light hover armored battalions, 6 jump infantry battalions)

Infantry Brigade
2 infantry regiments (8 infantry battalions)

Towed gun batteries of either Long Toms, Snipers, or Thumpers are assigned to every infantry battalion.  The towed batteries are either assigned directly to battalion support or massed together under the control of the Gunnery Captain of a regiment.

Altogether in 3025, the Defenders consists of 5 battlemech regiments, 50 regiments of armor and infantry, and several fleets (each containing 3 to 6 jumpships capable of carrying 10 to 15 dropships with a minimum of 2 or more aerospace wings assigned).
I hope this helps out your campaign. ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: 12 December 2012, 18:50:46 by bigmac »

Terminax

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 14 December 2012, 10:16:32 »
Thanks BigMac. I'm assuming you're basing your information from old 3025 era Marik Handbook?

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 14 December 2012, 11:39:01 »
Brush Wars clearly indicates the Duchy of Andurien and the Magistracy of Canopus were discussing their plans for around a decade before they invaded the Capellan Confederation.

Which brings up an interesting question.  What if they had started their attack on the CC a year earlier, say in early-mid 3029 instead of late 3030?
« Last Edit: 14 December 2012, 11:42:08 by Archangel »
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Isanova

• Lieutenant
  • There you are!
« Reply #11 on: 14 December 2012, 12:36:16 »
Which brings up an interesting question.  What if they had started their attack on the CC a year earlier, say in early-mid 3029 instead of late 3030?

I think one big consideration was maneuvering. The MoC units didn't have a lot of transport capacity, and if things weren't planned and in place it could be a few months delay before that reinforcement unit or critical supplies can make their way to the front. With Andurien ships there's help sure, but the Magistrate of Andurien (was there ever an alliance name officially?) was no AFFS when it comes to moving units and materiel. The MoC was probably the worst off of all minor powers at the time, in transport assets at least.
Freeborn and proud~

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 14 December 2012, 23:53:54 »
I think one big consideration was maneuvering. The MoC units didn't have a lot of transport capacity, and if things weren't planned and in place it could be a few months delay before that reinforcement unit or critical supplies can make their way to the front. With Andurien ships there's help sure, but the Magistrate of Andurien (was there ever an alliance name officially?) was no AFFS when it comes to moving units and materiel. The MoC was probably the worst off of all minor powers at the time, in transport assets at least.

That is why I said "early-mid 3029".  It gives them enough time to see how the war was turning out, decide what to do and to move their units into position to strike.

Terminax

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 15 December 2012, 12:02:49 »
The Anduriens were pressing the FWL to invade the CC right up to their succession, which seems to me to indicate that succession was always plan B or perhaps plan C. One that was prepared for, but not really the plan of choice that they wanted. However, frustation with the FWL, the Humphrey's ambitions and a lack of respect of their enemy combined to push Catherine into the risky plan they did. If they had launched sooner, their case that the FWL wasn't treating them with the respect they deserved wouldn't have been as compelling and their exit less chaotic, all points which played to their favor. Starting earlier than they did just doesn't give them any advantages.

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 15 December 2012, 18:59:11 »
Starting earlier than they did just doesn't give them any advantages.

Advantages? You mean like most of the Capellan military being singularly focused on the Davion juggernaut leaving virtually no reserves available to be deployed against an Andurien and Canopian invasion?  Or do you mean leaving the CCAF has no time to recover after the Davion juggernaut stopped (mentally and physically)?  Or that Justin Allard would still be "advising" the Chancellor?  Or that the FWLM would still be worried of a possible Lyran or Tikonov and unwilling (or unable) to redeploy their forces to bring the rebel province back under control until things settled down?

Sorry there are plenty of advantages to the Andurien/Canopian alliance moving early.

In canon, the Anduriens did actually launch a brief invasion of the Confederation at the end of 3028 to early 3029 before the Anduriens were persuaded to withdraw and the Capellans were able to do nothing but protest.  There actually was considerable support of the Anduriens and a Parliamentary motion to remove Janos from power.

Isanova

• Lieutenant
  • There you are!
« Reply #15 on: 15 December 2012, 19:09:54 »
Justin would likely have advised the Chancellor well against the Anduriens, just as he did against Hasek (though intentioned)

It would have been interesting to have the 5th SS war start with the FWL, if they had been successful it might have happened.
Freeborn and proud~

Meow Liao

• Warrant Officer
  • The PPC Kitty
« Reply #16 on: 15 December 2012, 21:05:02 »
In canon, the Anduriens did actually launch a brief invasion of the Confederation at the end of 3028 to early 3029 before the Anduriens were persuaded to withdraw and the Capellans were able to do nothing but protest.  There actually was considerable support of the Anduriens and a Parliamentary motion to remove Janos from power.

This should have been the real Andurien-Canopian/Capellan war.  With the ten mech regiments and 50 armor regiments from Canopus in support, the alliance could have taken a good chunk of the Confederation.  Betelgeuse and its mech facilities are an easy target right on the border.  And just beyond that, the prize of Grand Base.  These are incredible gains with perfect timing.  3030 is time for parliamentary redistribution, and those systems would net Andurien several votes at somebody's expense. 

Another result from this A-C invasion could be a continuation of the Davion assault.  With the A-C forces pushing into the Sian Commonality, Davion could let his Ziliang forces off the leash and give them some support from Kittery.  That is close to a dozen fresh regiments to assault the Sian region.  He might be forced to do this to keep the Anduriens from taking Grand Base.  That is too big a prize to let the Anduriens take if he can get there first.

Fortunately for my realm, this didn't happen.

Meow Liao

Have some plum wine with that PPC.

Isanova

• Lieutenant
  • There you are!
« Reply #17 on: 15 December 2012, 21:09:51 »
Have to wonder though, at what point would the potential death of the CC incur the wrath of C*... either overtly against the "periphery" as an interdiction, or covertly in supporting piracy and the Hegemony? All conjecture really, but fun
Freeborn and proud~

Register