Author Topic: Masakari Costume for GenCon '13  (Read 47985 times)

Nekoryu

• Master Sergeant
  • All Good Things Come In Cans; Even People!
    • The Plano Mechwarrior and Battletech Guild
Re: Masakari Costume for GenCon '13
« Reply #120 on: 03 August 2014, 18:28:01 »
Run! It's a freakin' tripod!

Looking good there.

TT

Just sneeze on it, that'll teach em.  8)
So, now the Thor has TWO really angry nipple piercings. - Zerokei
He fell over, is on fire and now he's been karate-kicked in the face. Is the dancing on his chest really neccessary? - GM

The Plano MechWarrior and BattleTech Guild: Join Us On Facebook!

Ion Raptor

• Sergeant
  • Lyran Love
« Reply #121 on: 05 August 2014, 16:41:47 »
This will probably be the last update before it's done, mostly just grunt work now aside from attaching the harness. I wanted to show exactly how much foam I cut out for each part.

I put a couple rare earth magnets on the lid so I can get into the internals
« Last Edit: 05 August 2014, 16:44:25 by Ion Raptor »

Ion Raptor

• Sergeant
  • Lyran Love
« Reply #122 on: 11 August 2014, 06:44:07 »
I lied, just a little picture of the callsign that truetanker reminded me to add and a small progress update: it's so close to being done and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #123 on: 17 August 2014, 21:03:27 »
I saw the shots from the costume contest on the Indianapolis Star's website. The suit looks flat out amazing!

[applause] [notworthy] [rockon]
« Last Edit: 18 August 2014, 07:21:28 by Pa Weasley »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #124 on: 17 August 2014, 21:47:53 »
PLease post them, I've love see how it came out at GenCon!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Ion Raptor

• Sergeant
  • Lyran Love
« Reply #125 on: 17 August 2014, 22:44:06 »
ask and you shall receive! I was was extremely busy helping out North Star Games this year so only got to bring the costume out on Saturday for the contest and some photos after but what an amazing reaction I got from it. I have to apologize to truetanker for not being able to meet him while at the Con, it was a roller coaster ride from start to finish.

This is how we had to transport "The Beast"

After the contest I set it up in the hall where I met some of the awesome Catalyst guys

Also: FIRST PLACE in the Superhero/Sci-Fi Category! Battletech is now a winner in the costume contests!

« Last Edit: 25 October 2014, 17:40:30 by Ion Raptor »

Wildonion

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm just a few onions short of a patch.
« Reply #126 on: 17 August 2014, 22:48:30 »
A thing of beauty. Congratulations on your wonderful work!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #127 on: 18 August 2014, 06:37:35 »
Dats awesome!!  Congradulations!!!!  All your work payed off for sure!   Next year you should build a Warhammer of a Awesome to have someone square off against one another at the con!!

Way to go, Ion Raptor!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #128 on: 18 August 2014, 06:42:02 »
Congrats on that awesome build. First Place at GenCon is something you can cherish forever
« Last Edit: 18 August 2014, 12:41:15 by Sharpnel »
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #129 on: 18 August 2014, 12:20:12 »
Saw it in person, but at a distance during the contest. I was still very impressed.   It's a shame they couldn't have had a way for you to get on the stage.  I would have loved to see it walking.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Kat

• Freelance Artist
  • Warrant Officer
    • Kat's deviantART
« Reply #130 on: 18 August 2014, 12:41:23 »
Wow, that is awesome, IonRaptor. Congrats on taking first! It's well-deserved!
The preceding post has been Smart Wolf®-Approved for quality!

BattleTech and original art          Free hex map template!

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #131 on: 18 August 2014, 12:50:15 »
Holy crap that thing is awesome!!!!

You deserve the win!

To the patient go the spoils

Spinosapper

• Lieutenant
« Reply #132 on: 18 August 2014, 13:39:17 »
Amazing piece of work!   O0  Congrats on your win!

"Whoever said, 'never shoot a man in the back' never saw the front of a Hunchback."

Mastergunz

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • BBBBBBRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTT
« Reply #133 on: 18 August 2014, 17:42:22 »
Thats fantastic man! Congrats! Wish I could have been there to see it. What was the total weight on that thing? Must have been wuite the strain on your upper body.

-Gunz
" also, didn't you know mechs are able to run their massive energy weapons and all only because of their super secret fusion engine designs? the fusion engines actually turn rage and tears generated on the internet, wirelessly into usable power for the machines." -steelblueskies

"I find that alcohol bestows a variety of tactical options."

"Hotwire your imagination into your sense of self-preservation, and see what percolates." -Weirdo

Follow along with my miniature exploits on my Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/MastergunzPaintWorx

Ion Raptor

• Sergeant
  • Lyran Love
« Reply #134 on: 18 August 2014, 18:25:45 »
All together it weighs somewhere between 35 and 40 pounds, with probably 25 of that resting on my shoulders. If I've learned anything its that this costume works much better as a prop than as an actual wearable costume. Several people didn't believe that it could be worn until I showed them the pictures of me in it. If another costume were to ever be done it would be a much less bulky light mech. Of course should Catalyst ever find themselves in need of someone to make them a massive prop I'd be happy to do so with better materials  :))

Mastergunz

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • BBBBBBRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTT
« Reply #135 on: 18 August 2014, 18:30:32 »
 :o- Wow, only 30-40 lbs for the whole thing. I figured it would have been a good deal heavier. Heck, I could run in that thing, lol. BTW, any video of you walking in it?

-Gunz
" also, didn't you know mechs are able to run their massive energy weapons and all only because of their super secret fusion engine designs? the fusion engines actually turn rage and tears generated on the internet, wirelessly into usable power for the machines." -steelblueskies

"I find that alcohol bestows a variety of tactical options."

"Hotwire your imagination into your sense of self-preservation, and see what percolates." -Weirdo

Follow along with my miniature exploits on my Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/MastergunzPaintWorx

Ion Raptor

• Sergeant
  • Lyran Love
« Reply #136 on: 18 August 2014, 18:56:08 »
No video so far. The costume was too big to go up on stage so they had to place me down on the floor level, preventing most from getting a good look at the lower torso. For as big as it is it's definitely light, it's just the awkwardness that was inherent in its creation that prevents it from being mobile for very long. Given a couple weeks I could probably solve that problem but I think "The Beast" will remain on its support structure from now on. 

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #137 on: 18 August 2014, 19:08:17 »
Congrats trothkin!
You do Bear proud by this victory.
Surely it will earn a line in The Remembrance.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #138 on: 18 August 2014, 22:38:10 »
Wow, that is absolutely amazing on so many levels and I especially like that you went the extra mile to decorate the stand which is not even used in its primary roll as a costume.  Congratulations, you absolutely deserved the win for that masterpiece and should feel very proud of yourself for what you have achieved.

View my design musings or request your own custom ride here.

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #139 on: 19 August 2014, 14:47:48 »
Very nice.  But maybe the Hatamoto Chi would have been better :P

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

Kat

• Freelance Artist
  • Warrant Officer
    • Kat's deviantART
« Reply #140 on: 19 August 2014, 16:52:17 »
All together it weighs somewhere between 35 and 40 pounds, with probably 25 of that resting on my shoulders. If I've learned anything its that this costume works much better as a prop than as an actual wearable costume. Several people didn't believe that it could be worn until I showed them the pictures of me in it. If another costume were to ever be done it would be a much less bulky light mech. Of course should Catalyst ever find themselves in need of someone to make them a massive prop I'd be happy to do so with better materials  :))

Just don't pick something like a Firemoth. You'd hafta hold your arms over your head all day.  :D
The preceding post has been Smart Wolf®-Approved for quality!

BattleTech and original art          Free hex map template!

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #141 on: 19 August 2014, 18:31:13 »
Yeah, Minnow and me were wondering where you went to. We had thought you couldn't either bring it into the Hall or unable to come yourself. Had I known, I'd have come running to the Contest and shot some pics. I'm pretty sure Minnow would love to have that costume as a prop for the Firebase pods next year.

All in all very nice! Hope to really see it in action.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Mattlov

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Fnord.
« Reply #142 on: 19 August 2014, 21:26:00 »
I'd want to dress as a Battlemaster, that way I am fully enclosed in my 'Mech.  And that is the way my knees bend...
"The rules technically allow all sorts of bad ideas." -Moonsword

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #143 on: 20 August 2014, 14:12:53 »
Wow that's awesome sauce.  Congratulations on the first place prize.

I still think you should have done a summoner or Atlas, so you could fit all the way inside the costume, but it's awesome nevertheless.

Ion Raptor

• Sergeant
  • Lyran Love
« Reply #144 on: 21 August 2014, 21:46:25 »
I think the next one I do will be Battle Armor. It'll let me encase my whole body and I should be able to pull it apart enough to shove in the back on an SUV. I have to have something to fight off all these Space Marines you're seeing now.

Mattlov

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Fnord.
« Reply #145 on: 21 August 2014, 22:24:58 »
I think the next one I do will be Battle Armor. It'll let me encase my whole body and I should be able to pull it apart enough to shove in the back on an SUV. I have to have something to fight off all these Space Marines you're seeing now.

Yeah, my other thought was a full size Elemental.   }:)
"The rules technically allow all sorts of bad ideas." -Moonsword

Ion Raptor

• Sergeant
  • Lyran Love
« Reply #146 on: 21 August 2014, 23:22:50 »
Eh I've had enough of the Clans, Inner Sphere love this time around. It's Longinus time!

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #147 on: 22 August 2014, 19:11:17 »
Make sure you include a Battletech decal somewhere were people can see it, otherwise they mas assume it is a Metroid's Samas.

Good luck on it, are you going to have a working mech-scale weapon that makes sound and light?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Ion Raptor

• Sergeant
  • Lyran Love
« Reply #148 on: 02 September 2014, 13:07:15 »
A reporter for the local paper took notice of the costume and did a little interview of me. Little did I know that it would be a large column, and front page to boot. He did a good job too, the only thing off is the part about Battletech being one of the oldest wargames in the States. One of the longest lasting certainly, but definitely not one of the oldest.

Wildonion

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm just a few onions short of a patch.
« Reply #149 on: 02 September 2014, 17:03:23 »
That is so awesome! Congratulations, it is good to see your hard work pay off.  O0