Author Topic: Adventure ideas: Hidden Agendas  (Read 1703 times)

StuartYee

• Lieutenant
  • "Now, let's add a couple of happy Death Commandos"
Adventure ideas: Hidden Agendas
« on: 05 February 2013, 20:08:34 »
I'm going to try to run a AToW adventure at an upcoming convention...maybe. Naturally players will probably be strangers. To boot, I'm pretty new at AToW as it is.

I've hashed out the following basic premise- the PCs are lancemates. Per traditional RPG adventures, they will have common challenges and foes to face, but an added catch will be their Hidden Agendas.

The idea with Hidden Agendas is that each PC has one, and achieving theirs excludes everyone else from achieving their own...

1) Spy - You are a spy, you've got to wait for an extraction. Until then, you've can't break cover.
2) We want him alive - However the spy is, he/she needs to be captured alive and turned in
3) He killed my father - Whoever it was, the spy was responsible for your father's death and must be killed
4) The money's too good - There's a bounty from another faction for the live capture of the spy. Turn him/her in and enjoy early retirement.

Any thoughts or suggestions on fleshing that out?
"I can't save his life, it's too embarrassing!" - Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC SSC

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Adventure ideas: Hidden Agendas
« Reply #1 on: 06 February 2013, 02:22:02 »
and achieving theirs excludes everyone else from achieving their own...

I'd seriously recommend reconsidering that aspect for a game where people don't know each other.  A game like Paranoia is literally built around those kinds of backstabby shenanigans, but it's not the right feel for a normal ATOW game.

Having their own private goals can be a great idea, but again don't bring PvP direct or indirect into the table without giving it a LOT of consideration.

Labyr

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 06 February 2013, 03:10:12 »
Echoing a bit of what Tai Dai Cultist said, I don't think it should be this adversarial. For instance replace the spy with some McGuffin your PCs find along the way that isn't their primary objective. Someone wants to steal it, someone wants it destroyed, someone wants it left intact and someone wants it hacked. Perhaps the PCs have limited opportunities to carry out their plans after they first encounter it, so they have to balance the needs of the mission at hand with accomplishing their secondary objectives.

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 06 February 2013, 04:52:14 »
a good example is a piece of "lostech" gear

like a set of computer data, you only have time /resources to copy 1 thing safely anything extra risks (guarantees corruption)
options are data on:
improved heatsinks
enhanced armor
extended range weapons
more accurate laser weapons
rapid fire autocannon
lighter chassis (internal structure)
improved engines

none of which is immediately useful to the players all of which will take several years to implement

or the players can use the time to try to "rescue" supplies, or mecha/weapons from the cache, note the data module you have access to has the keycodes to potentually unlock a number of "storage vaults" (bays) each containing gm options