Author Topic: 'Mech of the Week: Burrock  (Read 7125 times)

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
'Mech of the Week: Burrock
« on: 14 February 2013, 21:05:18 »
Mech of the Week: Burrock

The Burrock, named after its once and future clansmen (sometimes they come back), is a heavy battlemech produced by Clan Star Adder on Albion.  Initially appearing in 3066 the Burrock was designed by the Star Adders as a sign of respect to their Burrock born warriors after their clan’s absorption.  The mech tips the scales at 75 tons and can run up to 86kph thanks to its 375XL power plant.  The swift second-liner is also well protected with 12.5 tons of standard armor on an endo steel chassis.  The Burrock warrior preference for swift mediums with big bore cannons sort of gets merged with the Adder warrior preference for mobile heavies with lots of guns here.  The Burrock really is more a melding of the two clans than an homage to the Burrock warriors.

The Burrock is armed for one thing only, close range brawling.  Stylized to favor the Burrock warriors love of big bore autocannons and incorporating Star Adder flavor with heavy lasers as well.  The big bore gun comes in the form of a right arm mounted Ultra 20 autocannon supported by four tons of ammunition in the right torso.  Six heavy medium lasers; three in the left torso, two in the left arm, and one in the right torso; round out the armament.  To cope with all the residual heat the Burrock mounts 20 double heat sinks.

Using it is simple, get close and pull the trigger.  Single tap the autocannon and fire five of the HML’s to just go two points in the red on heat, but get close first (so drop to 4 lasers).  If you need to take a longer range shot, like from 10 hexes, just double tap the autocannon.  If it jams dump the ammo and bum rush the other guy firing all six heavy lasers.  Not many mechs this size can unleash this level of damage (no seriously you can throw 70 damage for 42 heat and dissipate 40).  If you lose the cannon you can still dish out 60 points at knife range.  The solid armor and speed makes this beasty a threat to other mechs its own size if it gets close.  It does have some draw backs in tight terrain since its speed is mitigated and it can not jump.  Use your speed against things like Warhammer IIC’s, Marauder IIC’s, Guilotine IIC’s.  The Burrock has the same amount of armor and if you can get close by running you can blast away.  Just hope you don’t have Hellbie’s dice since the heavy lasers tend to miss a lot.

During the Wars of Reaving somebody looked at this mech and said “I have HAG fever.”  (Looking at you Cobbs and Fletchers out there)  And of course they slapped a HAG 40 on it creating the Burrock 2.  To accommodate the biggest gun in clan-space short of capital weapons, the designers pulled five heat sinks and down graded the three left torso mounted laser to extended range mediums.  The monster cannon is backed by five tons of ammo, but since the shells appear to be the size of a VW bug, you only get 15 shots.

To use the second version, do the same thing as the first but this time you can take smart shots from range (be selective).  And then use your speed and armor to close.  Again, contemporary second line mechs are going to have a tough time with this thing.  The best bet is to get into the ER mediums range and fire those with the HAG, then close and switch to the heavies and the HAG.  Again, bring friendly dice, run fast, and hit hard.

Facing one of these guys???  Well if it’s the first version just stay as far away as possible.  PPC and LRM the thing to death.  Do everything possible to control distance in the fight and don’t get cute and try to run in to punch it or something. 

If you come across a Burrock 2, do not let it close again, but also do not let it get a good shot with the HAG.   Move, cover, move.

Try and match either version against an equally speedy or faster opponent if you’re using zell.  Do not get caught up in the thing being funny looking or just a close range brawler; don’t count on inaccurate heavy laser fire.  Play smart and control range against this thing.  Outside of zell try to corner it where its speed can be mitigated and combine long range fire.  Shoot all your gauss slugs at it, hope it dies (it won’t die easy and it may fall over dead then get back up after you walk past it, it’s a Burrock after all).

Truly, this thing is not the best designed mech, it can do a lot of damage, it has good armor, and 5/8 clan heavy battlemechs are few and far between.  It is sort of a one trick pony and once you know the trick it’s not particularly challenging to stop (think Hunchback here).  The undead Burrock’s association to the Dark/Society really made me wish for a Burrock Z of sorts built by the Society, but alas no dice.  The Burrock 2 is an improvement as it double the effective range but with severely limited ammunition supply.

To the patient go the spoils

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
Re: 'Mech of the Week: Burrock
« Reply #1 on: 14 February 2013, 22:01:40 »
This is a fun, "KILL IT QUICK!" 'Mech that freaks out your opponents.  When 3067 first came out I used this alot; just point it at the bad guy and bumbrush firing like mad.  You might not win, but there won't be much left of the other guy...

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #2 on: 14 February 2013, 22:12:52 »
I wonder what happens to it after Reaving its an Adder Mech so screams that it should be produced but that name...
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 15 February 2013, 04:26:36 »
It's aslo not quite a TW

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 15 February 2013, 04:41:35 »
I wonder what happens to it after Reaving its an Adder Mech so screams that it should be produced but that name...

I think that Albion is either dead or desolate planet now, so Burrock is not produced anymore.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #5 on: 15 February 2013, 16:18:53 »
It's aslo not quite a TW

Sorry, could you elucidate? Looks like you got called away from keyboard mid-sentence.

Point on the Burrock art - is this the origins of the Clan Rotary Autocannon? ;)
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 15 February 2013, 16:26:03 »

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #7 on: 15 February 2013, 18:27:21 »
At a glance, the Burrock looks like it was half finished and the rushed out the door.

This is not to say it looks in any way vulnerable, or ineffective because a more detail look is that they made up for not finishing the 'mech but simply cramming all the guns they had into the thing, slapped all the armor they could on, and wedged what looks like a hovertank criver's seat in the torso until they found time to mount an actual head there, and then it killed everything so noone saw any need to finish it.

the legs are a pair of massively armor plated reverse knee monsters, complete with the grooves that people always emboss on armor plate, i guess to show that there's considerable thickness (wherever the grooves aren't) along them, all the way down to the heave single toes of the 'mech. the design traits carry along the centerling of the 'mech's torso and into the left arm, a series of heavy armor plate leading do the thickly-built clawed arm with overlapping joint covers. the rest of the 'mech however feels.....rushed.

the side torsos are mostly a series boxes housing the lasers, out of place with the rest of the design and feeling like they didn't have time to get the armor molded for them. and the head looks like they peeled it off some vee and hammered the edges until it fit in, feeling entirely too sunken to have proper room for the pilot. However all of these visual flaws are entirely outclassed but the jarring cannon mounted in it's arm socket. rather than mount any semblance of an arm, they seem to have wrenched a defensive gun off of a dropship somewhere and stuck it onto the side of the 'mech. the massive multi-barreled cannon looks like it was jury-rigged onto a 'mech too small to house it normally, and conveys what it is. horribly dangerous.

The 'mech is an "ugly", without any doubt- but it's one of the uglies that simply doesn't care. somewhere in clan space an engineer wanted a 'mech to tear Hellbringers apart with A.S.A.P. and mashed this thing together, and fiat bless his little clanner heart.
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Isanova

• Lieutenant
  • There you are!
« Reply #9 on: 15 February 2013, 19:40:14 »
Why... didn't anyone... think to add MASC?  :'(
Freeborn and proud~

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 15 February 2013, 20:31:26 »
Burrock works OK.  As was pointed out, it only does one thing but its a Mech for smashing the hell out of a hated foe, so it does do that one thing well.  It reminds me a great deal of the Thunder, or like someone wanted to do the Stormcrow B/Gargoyle C with HMLs.  Its not a mech I hate, just not one I use very often, since it can't deploy Eles, which are a key thing for me. 

Orin J.

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 15 February 2013, 20:35:58 »
Why... didn't anyone... think to add MASC?  :'(

what... precisely... would you have them pull for it?

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 16 February 2013, 02:33:16 »
Sorry, could you elucidate? Looks like you got called away from keyboard mid-sentence.
Sorry, I was saying that stats wise it's quite similar to the Timber Wolf base chasis

Anything, this needs something to differiate itself from all the other Timber Wolf knock off's

Isanova

• Lieutenant
  • There you are!
« Reply #13 on: 16 February 2013, 07:22:18 »
Heatsinks, and a laser or two.
Freeborn and proud~

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #14 on: 16 February 2013, 12:03:49 »
The clans needed a 5/8 secondline top end heavy that wasn't the Black Python.  The Adders were the right clan to build such a thing since it fits their style.  Giving it an autocannon and calling it Burrock was just the excuse they needed.

I'd rather see a gauss since the Burrocks invented or designed the clan gauss, but whatever I guess we got the HAG.

Wildonion

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm just a few onions short of a patch.
« Reply #15 on: 16 February 2013, 13:49:38 »
The change to a gauss rifle would have been phenomenal! The extra tonnage being put into armor would have made the 'Mech such a pain to put down and there would be little chance of keeping it completely at arms length.

Orin J.

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 16 February 2013, 14:31:12 »
The change to a gauss rifle would have been phenomenal! The extra tonnage being put into armor would have made the 'Mech such a pain to put down and there would be little chance of keeping it completely at arms length.

one of those "too obvious, what else can we put there?" situations, i think. after all if they optimize every 'mech for you, what's there to tinker with?

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #17 on: 16 February 2013, 15:34:08 »
one of those "too obvious, what else can we put there?" situations, i think. after all if they optimize every 'mech for you, what's there to tinker with?

It would be an automatic bracket baby yes, but it's hard to call anything that relies on 6 heavy medium lasers optimized since they miss a lot and dont have much range.

Granted you would also have room for 4 tons of gauss ammo.  That's a lot of pot shots.

Worst case it would be an easy field refit for the remaining Burrock mechs after the WoR and taking off the Gatling gun would do a little to change the aesthetic.

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #18 on: 16 February 2013, 18:12:22 »
Eh, I still like it.  It's a blunt sword.  There's zero subtlety here.  You find the enemy, close, and hack at him repeatedly till he or you are dead, splashing blood (or coolant) around all willy nilly.  I used it last night against my bot opponent and was entertained by it's shear brutishness.  Is there stuff better?  Sure, but it's fun to go all Conan on something.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #19 on: 16 February 2013, 19:37:11 »
Would the 2 be better off with a slightly smaller HAG?

The Burrock is fun, used it a few times.  Under BV1 it was something that did pretty well considering the heat induced BV-lowering.  This is a mech, like the Hetzer, where double blind really adds to its ability in anything like close quarters terrain.  Running into this thing in a city, canyon or heavily forested terrain is the stuff of nightmares, and unlike many of the other secondline designs, it can move off pretty quickly.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #20 on: 16 February 2013, 22:03:00 »
I just ran the 2 (thank you SSW) this afternoon on several rolling hills maps with a Timby H.  I kept them side by side pretty much the entire game.  They made a mess of two IS lances.  They took down 5 mechs in 3 straight turns, it was ugly.

It's great to be an Adder fan sometimes.

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: 17 February 2013, 07:48:45 »
The 2 would definitely be improved by taking a HAG 30, i think. Yes, I know, a smaller gun would be against the spirit. I never used it, but plain from a logistics standpoint, having to reload every so often can really put a strain on the strategic mobility. Yeah, Strategic Considerations on a Clan 'Mech, Madness, I know.  :o
Or maybe I'm just a fan of firing every turn.^^
...Or pick a 20, and gain ammo endurance and more heatsinks^^

Edit: Would it be evil to go for a 20 with Tarcomp?
« Last Edit: 17 February 2013, 07:53:47 by UnLimiTeD »
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

Isanova

• Lieutenant
  • There you are!
« Reply #22 on: 17 February 2013, 08:30:54 »
I just ran the 2 (thank you SSW) this afternoon on several rolling hills maps with a Timby H.  I kept them side by side pretty much the entire game.  They made a mess of two IS lances.  They took down 5 mechs in 3 straight turns, it was ugly.

It's great to be an Adder fan sometimes.
With or without honor rules in place?
Freeborn and proud~

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #23 on: 17 February 2013, 09:57:15 »
With or without honor rules in place?

Started with them  >:D
I'm a big fan lately of fighting larger Republic era tech IS units with homeworld clan stuff... dang Adders always running our simulations.  I figure zell is probably off the table.

@Unlimited, if any clan was ever going to have strategic concerns in mech design it's the Star Adders.  And yes 6HMLs, a HAG 20, and a tarcomp would be evil.

Register