Author Topic: Power is a goal. Pleasure is eternal. Welcome to Canopus.  (Read 210904 times)

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
Re: Power is a goal. Pleasure is eternal. Welcome to Canopus.
« Reply #840 on: 08 November 2013, 09:28:32 »
Come on now.  Everybody knows that the article about Elvis Presley performing at Danai Liao-Centrella's birthday is TRUE!  The Capellan Chancellor ordered him taken out of chryogenic suspension especially for Danai's birthday!   ;D

It might still be Elvis Presley.  Just not that Elvis Presley.

And yes, all of this is said with the assumption that the Genecaste rumors are entirely untrue.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #841 on: 08 November 2013, 15:13:27 »
Well, that's sort of the point. With Frobisher, they aren't completely untrue. There is genetic engineering that has adapted humans to life on other planets.

Lets say that since the Star League era there have been rumors about genetically modified humans (which are somewhat true).

Then the Clans come back, having used genetic engineering to create the phenotypes, especially the Elemental and Aerospace phenotype.

And then someone with a conspiracy bent combines the Frobisher rumors with the Clan genetics. "Man, if the Clans have done THAT (Elemental and aerospace phenotypes) what ELSE might they have done? Monsters man, monsters!"

And then someone comes around and points out that if the Clans had been tinkering even further, that we'd see some evidence of it.

So conspiracy guy says "Man, that's right! So they're either hidden at the Homeworld slaving away on the half inhabitable planets (disproved by SERPENT), or maybe they're part of the Dark Caste!"

And from that conspiracy, you get the Genecaste, a heavily genetically modified Dark Caste that's running from the Clans.

And then since there's always been rumors about the Magistracy and Mermaids and Centaurs and what not, then the Genecaste gets linked to the Magistracy. And since one of the biggest unknowns in the Magistracy is the EM, that gets linked as well. And so you get the entire Genecaste conspiracy.

But..at the heart of it all, is the small kernel of truth that most conspiracy theories are built on, and that's the genetic modification of the people of Frobisher.

Josva Valdreki

• Master Sergeant
  • ...With blackjack. And hookers. In fact....
« Reply #842 on: 17 February 2014, 13:15:26 »
The Clans didn't start using what we'd call genetic engineering until very recently.

Prior to that, they practiced eugenics. Which can probably best be compared to breeding dogs or cats. You want certain traits and you selectively breed for them.

In all probability, on worlds where terraforming did not work as well as expected, there would be humans who are every bit as 'different' as the Clan phenotypes due to simple, short-term evolution. To say nothing of the worlds where old fashioned eugenics might be practiced and/or enforced (even if not all the time).
Úlfhéðnar Free Company
Clan Free Ghost Rasalhague Bear Dominion Republic

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #843 on: 18 February 2014, 00:16:13 »
I dunno. I think there was some genetic engineering in the Clans early on, even if it was just to smooth out the phenotypes. You can select and breed for certain traits, but some of the more extreme attributes of the phenotypes I'd bet came from some genetic tinkering, not just selective breeding.

Josva Valdreki

• Master Sergeant
  • ...With blackjack. And hookers. In fact....
« Reply #844 on: 18 February 2014, 00:59:04 »
I dunno. I think there was some genetic engineering in the Clans early on, even if it was just to smooth out the phenotypes. You can select and breed for certain traits, but some of the more extreme attributes of the phenotypes I'd bet came from some genetic tinkering, not just selective breeding.

And yet the chihuahua and the great dane are both products of eugenics programs utilizing the same basic genetic materials and the same parent species. The differences between h sapiens parabellum and h sapiens are significantly less than the difference between c lupis familiars and c lupis. And even between and within c lupis familiars the differences are much greater than within and between h sapiens parabellum.
Úlfhéðnar Free Company
Clan Free Ghost Rasalhague Bear Dominion Republic

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #845 on: 18 February 2014, 07:08:20 »
The eugenics program goes beyond simple eugenics and has included genetic engineering for some time.  Warriors of the Double Helix (WoK, p39-40) goes into a little detail of the genetic engineering that the scientist caste performs including gene-splicing and chromosome modification.  Through genetic engineering they can make a male warrior a "gene-mother" and a female warrior a "gene-father".  They are even capable of using the genetic material from two male warriors or two female warriors to create warriors.  "In general, however, the Clans prefer not to meddle too much with nature, and so most often use simple in-vitro fertilization techniques.  Likewise, they rarely use gene modification to modify physical or mental traits.  Instead they tend to use genetic engineering simply to identify and correct adverse recessive traits."

Even the definition of the eugenics program includes the following sentence:  "The warrior caste uses artificial breeding programs based on genetic engineering and incubation in artificial wombs in order to create the ultimate warriors."
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #846 on: 25 February 2014, 17:43:08 »
So, any thoughts so far on the Magistracy's role in the Victoria War, as noted in Historical: Wars of the Republic Era?

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #847 on: 25 February 2014, 22:30:22 »
A fairly interesting choice.  Time to shed those insults about a periphery state not being a threat.  Also fun to see the Marians haven't given up on the idea of sticking it to the Magistracy after all these years.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #848 on: 26 February 2014, 15:52:24 »
Glad to see that the Magistracy's forces get a bit of screen time.

Little surprised at how much of them get screen time, and what it did to the Magistracy. Its a shame about the losses.

Little disappointed in how it turned out though. With the first read through, it seems like the MAF units basically bounced off of everyone, unless they were fighting unnamed militia units.

Kind of...interesting the blood thirstiness of some of the units. Not sure what to think about that, and not sure where it came from.

Molossian Dog IIC

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the sword ... die by dysentery.
« Reply #849 on: 16 March 2014, 18:50:14 »
I am a bit surprised not only how wideranging their attack on Andurien was, but also at their ferocity. Considering the traditional ties between those nations I would have expected a more professional and clean operation.

Then on the other hand the story of the Victoria War makes Ari Humphrey´s policy in the 3145 timeline even more surprising. I know I may be reading things into the sourcebooks I want to see, but as it is Ari might have quite a hard time at home because of his detente -no, rapproachment- with the Liao-Centrellas.

Sidenote:
Krakens and Anduriens. This is something the Duchy´s High Command should look into.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #850 on: 16 March 2014, 19:09:09 »
I am a bit surprised not only how wideranging their attack on Andurien was, but also at their ferocity. Considering the traditional ties between those nations I would have expected a more professional and clean operation.

Part of it was the pent up aggression of the MAF.  Another part was a mother sending in her military to bail out a son that was being attacked by opportunists.

Then on the other hand the story of the Victoria War makes Ari Humphrey´s policy in the 3145 timeline even more surprising. I know I may be reading things into the sourcebooks I want to see, but as it is Ari might have quite a hard time at home because of his detente -no, rapproachment- with the Liao-Centrellas.

It makes more sense in a historical sense if you look at the Jihad as the peak of Canopian-Capellan cooperation.  The Victoria War was a mostly one sided affair.  By the time of the Capellan Crusades the Canopians were getting the idea that they were being used.  Ari is married to Ilsa, not Naomi, and not Daoshen.  It is to the mutual benefit of Canopus and Andurien to band together.  Neither has the individual strength to stand against their potential enemies.

Sidenote:
Krakens and Anduriens. This is something the Duchy´s High Command should look into.

Yeah, new and embarrassing ways of being punked by blue water mercs.  However, by 3145 Kraken Unleashed is under Andurien employ.  Well, lists as FWL, but stationed on Umka, so I assume ADF.  Guess they made an impression.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #851 on: 15 July 2014, 12:12:21 »
IWM has just announced that the MAF's Agrotera is the Gencon exclusive. [drool]  They may have the waking version as well.

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #852 on: 15 July 2014, 14:12:58 »
IWM has just announced that the MAF's Agrotera is the Gencon exclusive. [drool]  They may have the waking version as well.

I did a happy dance when I saw that.
Light Assault Group - An Orwellian appelation applied by the Draconis Combine to troops haphazardly equipped with whatever expendable equipment was lying around the maintenance yard, for the purpose of throwing their lives away for the greater glory of the Dragon, see also Human Bombs.

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #853 on: 19 July 2014, 11:06:11 »
So I've been getting more into the Periphery States.  I like things about all the major ones, whether it's the Marian Space Rome flavor, the Outworlds' blatant distrust of technology and love of aerospace (despite me not having much knowledge of aerospace stuff), or the Taurian stubborn streak, colonization program, and paranoia.

It's only been since trying to set up for an RPG that Canopus has really started to capture my imagination.  Sell me on Canopus.  What is it you love about the Magistracy?
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #854 on: 19 July 2014, 12:16:59 »
While it might vary depending upon which era you are specifically looking at, in general, Jihad-era and beyond they have a little bit of everything.

Since the beginning of the Jihad, they have faced a variety of military opposition - Blakists, Marian Hegemony, Federated Suns, Taurian Concordat, Duchy of Andurien, Republic of the Sphere, Duchy of Oriente and, now, the reborn Free Worlds League.

Canopian forces have decent access to Capellan gear, not unlimited mind you, but decent.

They have the best Medical Corps both in the Inner Sphere and the Periphery. 

They have the best intelligence agency in the Periphery (MIM) whose intelligence network stretches throughout the Inner Sphere.  For those who liked the flavor of the Manei Domini, MIM has the Ebon Magistrate.

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
« Reply #855 on: 19 July 2014, 14:40:18 »
While it might vary depending upon which era you are specifically looking at, in general, Jihad-era and beyond they have a little bit of everything.

Since the beginning of the Jihad, they have faced a variety of military opposition - Blakists, Marian Hegemony, Federated Suns, Taurian Concordat, Duchy of Andurien, Republic of the Sphere, Duchy of Oriente and, now, the reborn Free Worlds League.

Canopian forces have decent access to Capellan gear, not unlimited mind you, but decent.

They have the best Medical Corps both in the Inner Sphere and the Periphery. 

They have the best intelligence agency in the Periphery (MIM) whose intelligence network stretches throughout the Inner Sphere.  For those who liked the flavor of the Manei Domini, MIM has the Ebon Magistrate.

It's the Capellan Gear and MIM that is currently capturing my imagination, the former because I like a bunch of Capellan Mechs, the latter for potential storytelling possibilities.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #856 on: 19 July 2014, 21:47:01 »
It's the Capellan Gear and MIM that is currently capturing my imagination, the former because I like a bunch of Capellan Mechs, the latter for potential storytelling possibilities.

Hey jklantern there were some men in the back alley that wanted to have a word with you about your storytelling or something or another.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #857 on: 20 July 2014, 06:51:09 »
I think the "little bit of everything" is a good draw for people looking for a Periphery faction.

You've got everything from cutting edge Technology (see the recently mentioned Agrotera) to using stuff that might date back to the Reunification War.  You can wind up fighting just about anyone, from high tech House units to barely functioning bandits (The Clans are really the only one you're not going to fight often, though with Dark Ages, that may not be completely true anymore).

You've got pretty heavily civilized planets like Canopus, and you've got backwater worlds as well. You also have the Canopian ruins which bring in great roleplaying opportunities beyond the standard "Periphery" guidelines.

There's a little bit of everything, in pretty much every era.

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
« Reply #858 on: 20 July 2014, 08:34:53 »
Hey jklantern there were some men in the back alley that wanted to have a word with you about your storytelling or something or another.

Just got back from my meeting with those folks.  Very friendly, lovely people.

Unrelated, if anyone happens to find a pair of legs about, they are mine.  I seem to have carelessly misplaced them.

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #859 on: 20 July 2014, 14:14:50 »
According to the MUL the Mad Cat Mk. IV and Vulture Mk. IV are available to periphery states. Where might one find such exotic units in the MAF?

Ha! It only shows this on my phone when looking up Periphery General... Not so on the unit page.
« Last Edit: 20 July 2014, 14:29:12 by Klat »
Light Assault Group - An Orwellian appelation applied by the Draconis Combine to troops haphazardly equipped with whatever expendable equipment was lying around the maintenance yard, for the purpose of throwing their lives away for the greater glory of the Dragon, see also Human Bombs.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #860 on: 21 July 2014, 08:37:44 »
I like the Magistracy because it seems like a genuine attempt at a new society, rather than a retread of a quick historical revision.  You could say the same of the Taurians, I guess, but the matriarchal structure is also pretty interesting to me.  Not as crazy about the Las Vegas of the Periphery thing, but there's usually a place to nitpick in any faction.

For some reason the Magistracy reminds me of Brazil.  The nation, not the movie.  Lots of people of different backgrounds striking out in space to build an entirely new identity from that of their Inner Sphere roots, doing things a bit different and possessed of a certain swagger.  Having a good time, but mostly just trying to keep the lights on.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #861 on: 21 July 2014, 10:53:57 »
According to the MUL the Mad Cat Mk. IV and Vulture Mk. IV are available to periphery states. Where might one find such exotic units in the MAF?

Ha! It only shows this on my phone when looking up Periphery General... Not so on the unit page.

That's got to be some sort of bug - I just checked the Prime, A, and both prototypes, none of them have a Periphery affiliation at all on the availability management screen.  Could you post any details you've got in the MUL Errata thread, please?

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #862 on: 21 July 2014, 11:19:49 »
That's got to be some sort of bug - I just checked the Prime, A, and both prototypes, none of them have a Periphery affiliation at all on the availability management screen.  Could you post any details you've got in the MUL Errata thread, please?

I may have to do it after work today but I'll get to ASAP.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #863 on: 21 July 2014, 15:52:58 »
Thanks for posting that.  Those results are really screwy.

ArcaneRaven

• Lieutenant
« Reply #864 on: 10 October 2014, 02:58:03 »
What does the MoC fanbase say to how Daoshen perceives the Magistracy in the recently published H:WotRE? It seems, the relationship isn't that cosy, is it?

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #865 on: 10 October 2014, 05:33:07 »
What does the MoC fanbase say to how Daoshen perceives the Magistracy in the recently published H:WotRE? It seems, the relationship isn't that cosy, is it?

As long as Daoshen's sister, Ilsa Liao, is still Magestrix and they are slowing the reformation of the FWL without starting a full-blown war (which likely would require Daoshen to deploy CCAF units to go to aid the Magistracy and Andurien forces), Daoshen will continue to regard the Magistracy as his most cherished ally, but then its not like he has a lot of allies to chose from.  ^-^

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #866 on: 10 October 2014, 08:19:46 »

Daoshen thinks he is divine.  His lack of respect for the Magistracy is a sympton of his god complex.  It shouldn't surprise or anger anyone.  Those Liaos have always been a little off.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

ArcaneRaven

• Lieutenant
« Reply #867 on: 10 October 2014, 10:36:43 »
Daoshen thinks he is divine.  His lack of respect for the Magistracy is a sympton of his god complex.  It shouldn't surprise or anger anyone.  Those Liaos have always been a little off.

Well, from the Historical's description, the Canopian citizen weren't really ecstatic about how Daoshen viewed their troops (and their entire realm) as a kind of compensatory mechanism for the Capellan losses.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #868 on: 10 October 2014, 11:05:02 »
He's a spoiled child.  His mother had to bail him out in the Victoria War.  Was he greatfull?  Nope.  The assumption that the Canopians will fall in line with Capellan ambitions without question is disrespectful.  Not the pistols as dawn kind of disrespect, but the kind where the MAF refuses to take part.  We'll see when/if Daoshen decides to get pushy with the Anduriens.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
« Reply #869 on: 29 October 2014, 10:43:15 »
I am in the market for a Succession Era to early Clan Invasion faction and Comstar is too behind the scenes. Someone sell me on a Magistracy.

Also, besides the two Periphery sourcebooks and FM: Periphery, where can I best find info on the Canopians should I decide to go with them.

Alsoooo... What exactly was happening in Canopus during the Jihad. It is damn hard to piece everything together from the Jihad books.