Author Topic: What do you want in a Hex Map?  (Read 1923 times)

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
What do you want in a Hex Map?
« on: 16 March 2013, 18:40:36 »
Simple question, what would you want to see in a future Hex Map release? Fixed Fortification Tiles? Wreckage Tiles? Swamp maps? Crashed Mckenna Battleship map? Space Map?
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Maniac Actual

• Lieutenant
    • checkout my fantasy and SF writing
Re: What do you want in a Hex Map?
« Reply #1 on: 16 March 2013, 18:43:37 »
Fixed fortifications!  (although a crashed battleship is sounds pretty **** cool.   O0
AS may be as much a representation of the Battletech universe as the original tabletop game is, but if you tell someone "I'm playing Battletech" chances are, if they know what that is, they're going to take you to mean the original tabletop game. - Steve Restless

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #2 on: 16 March 2013, 18:43:49 »
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

LordGraygem

• Corporal
« Reply #3 on: 16 March 2013, 19:25:58 »
I'd like to see some more double-sided maps, ala the Introductory Box Set. Other than that, a thoroughly trashed city, or some crashed spacecraft would be pretty cool. Also wouldn't mind a couple maps intended mainly for naval (on and below the surface) warfare, and some AToW-scale city maps.

truegrit

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
    • ChenTech
« Reply #4 on: 16 March 2013, 19:35:35 »
Some of my own maps ;)
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,520.0.html

Are the links broken? I clicked on a few and got 404 errors.

I also wouldn't mind seeing a roughed-up city. Maybe something that had been abandoned after a big battle, so you get pits into a lower tunnel structure and such.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #5 on: 16 March 2013, 20:06:36 »
Are the links broken? I clicked on a few and got 404 errors.

I also wouldn't mind seeing a roughed-up city. Maybe something that had been abandoned after a big battle, so you get pits into a lower tunnel structure and such.

ah, crap.
Possible that they are. Have done some rearranging on my server earlier today. Will have to fix that.

UPDATE:
All back up again.
« Last Edit: 16 March 2013, 20:23:08 by DarkISI »
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

whiteshadowzo

• Master Sergeant
  • I was raised by a cup of coffee
« Reply #6 on: 16 March 2013, 20:17:35 »
Perhaps this is impractical but i wouldn't mind seeing punch out tiles that can be tabbed together and make 3D buildings.
it's a bit comforting knowing that to fire we're a same color- flammable. ~Orin J.

LordGraygem

• Corporal
« Reply #7 on: 16 March 2013, 23:52:53 »
Actually, 3D paper buildings do exist. Can't remember exactly where I found them, and being stuck on this phone for Net access means I unfortunately can't just upload the .pdfs somewhere and give you a link. However, they are free (and legally so), and I do recall that I was searching for cardstock micro armor buildings when I found them.

whiteshadowzo

• Master Sergeant
  • I was raised by a cup of coffee
« Reply #8 on: 17 March 2013, 15:43:59 »
I know about paper buildings pdfs you can find them on sarna. I was actually planning on going out to Michaels and buying some of that board you find in photo frames
it's a bit comforting knowing that to fire we're a same color- flammable. ~Orin J.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #9 on: 17 March 2013, 16:15:12 »
What I would like to see myself is punch out Fires, Smoke, Downed Mechs, Rail lines, destroyed vehichles, and craters. Maybe a double sided nuclear blast/crater as well though that might be kind of big and of limited use. All in the same kind of material the current punch outs are made from. For maps I would love to see a Space Map, a Sahara desert style of map with maybe a wrecked dome on one corner-or as a optional punch out, and swamp, a true swamp to make movement slow and ponderous. These are just a few of my wishes and wants that I would like to see as a next generation of hex map. I really like the hard cardboard of the current line and want to see more of them. In fact I would love for them to release the current map as a stand alone with a few punch outs as well/
« Last Edit: 17 March 2013, 16:51:58 by Stormlion1 »
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #10 on: 17 March 2013, 17:03:06 »
i'd like to see more actual mapsheet sets, ideally themed sets where the set can be combined in various fashions to make a much larger environment. like with Map set 7, where the 8 maps could be combined to make a massive coastal air and sea port.

an urban set with an approach similar to mapset 7 would be awesome, especially if the artwork and colors used match. you could have two sheets that combined make a downtown area, another 2 which make a parkland, another set with an industrial sector, and maybe 2 suburb/living space sheets.

combined with mapset 7 this would let you build a huge 4x4 play area for urban battles. or lots of variety for smaller battlefields.

similarly a rural set, with two sheets for a village/town, 2 for a large farm, and a mix of rolling hills, forests, and small lakes, all with some roads to link them, could be awesome as a way to fill in the gaps between the empty wilderness of the older sheets and the urban sheets of mapset 6 and 7.
« Last Edit: 17 March 2013, 17:09:47 by glitterboy2098 »

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 17 March 2013, 17:46:11 »
It would be nice if those maps (possibly in one map set) were painted by one artist, so the playing area would look naturally and seamlessly.

Today we can prepare playing field consisting of diverse maps, but each map will have totally different artistic style, which looks a bit funny.

Meow Liao

• Warrant Officer
  • The PPC Kitty
« Reply #12 on: 17 March 2013, 17:52:53 »
With double sided maps, one side of the set should be designed to form one giant battleground.  A 4 wide 3 tall combined map fits a pair of 3'x6' folding tables.  Just over 1.8km x 1.5km of combat space. 

My giant map idea:  island chain or large island to combine land/sea battles.

Meow Liao

Have some plum wine with that PPC.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 17 March 2013, 18:07:55 »
It would be nice if those maps (possibly in one map set) were painted by one artist, so the playing area would look naturally and seamlessly.

Today we can prepare playing field consisting of diverse maps, but each map will have totally different artistic style, which looks a bit funny.

AGREED!   O0  Doesn't help that a few of the old maps look like they were done by an impressionist painter.  I love the tile sets Catalyst puts out, but with all the different art styles, tiles from one set just look on odd on another.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

ehlijen

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 17 March 2013, 19:55:28 »
Infantry and maybe BA counters (deployed and mech mounted sides). They frequently need to be stacked with other units so making them flat counters is handy.
Awesome. Awesome to the head.