Author Topic: Zumwalt Class Destroyer  (Read 5269 times)

AchanhiArusa

• Sergeant
Zumwalt Class Destroyer
« on: 01 March 2013, 20:41:14 »
The next generation of Destroyer, this is designed for shore bombardment.  I couldn't use Cruise Missiles because of weight and space so I used the Arrow IV system.

Type:  Zumwalt Next Generation Destroyer      
Chassis Type:  Naval Support (Large, Template D)   
Tonnage:    14,565   tons      
Spaces:  180   (Used 84)   
Equipment Rating:  D/E-F-X/F      

Equipment                                    Mass   
Chassis/Control:                           3,714.5   tons   (Armored Chassis modification)
Engine/Trans:   ICE                     3,933
     Cruise MPs:          4   
     Flank MPs:            6   
Heat Sinks:               0
Power Amplifiers:        0
Fuel:                                            4,917
Range:                       12,500 km
Turret:                                            25.5               

Armor Factor (BAR 10):     817         123   tons

Armor            IS
   Front                            118           37
   Front R/L                       118           37
   Rear R/L                        118           37
   Rear                              118           37
   Turret 1                        16             37      
   Turret 2                        16             37      
   Turret 3                        16             37      
   Turret 4                        16             37      
   Turret 5                        16             37      
   Turret 6                        16             37      
   Turret 7                        16             37      

Weapons and Ammo             Loc       Mass
Long Tom                              T2         30   (155 mm Advanced Gun System)      
Ammo:  Standard (920)                     184
Ammo: Copperhead (100)                   20
LB-5X                                 T1          8   (Mark 110 57 mm Gun)      
LB-5X                                 T1          8
Ammo:  Standard (1,000)                  50
Ammo: Flak (160)                              8   
Arrow IV                               FR          15  (Tactical Tomahawk)
Arrow IV                               FL          15
Arrow IV                               AR          15
Arrow IV                               AL          15   
Ammo:  Standard (40)                         8
Ammo: Anti-Aircraft (20)                      4      
LRM-20 (x3)                          T1          10    (Evolved Sea Sparrow)      
LRM-20 (x2)                          T2          10
LRM-20 (x2)                          T3          10
LRM-20 (x2)                          T4          10
LRM-20 (x2)                          T5          10
LRM-20 (x2)                          T6          10
LRM-20 (x3)                          T7          10
LRM Ammo (160)                                32               
LRT-20 (x2)                          T4            7    (ASROC)      
LRT-20 (x2)                          T6            7         
LRT Ammo (40)                                    8

Cargo:   
554.5 tons   (Including VTOL Fuel and Potable Water)   
100 tons   2 VTOL Hanger Bays   

Note:  Features Tech D Chassis (with the Armored Chassis modification), ICE engine and armor, Helipad (500 tons), 1 Lift Hoist (3 tons), 3 Field Kitchens (9), MASH with 2 theaters (5.5 tons), Communications Equipment (15 tons), 56 infantry bays (35 tons), and 11 Officers Quarters (11 tons)
« Last Edit: 03 March 2013, 11:39:52 by AchanhiArusa »
The Patton of wargame design, the Berg himself, is being immortally quoted elsewhere.
"Rich Berg once responded to gamers comments about one of his games, "I make this ****** up, so can you.""

"Back in MY day we played Battletech with figures made of LEAD! POISONED LEAD! And the only PAINT we had was RADIOACTIVE! Why, we lost at least THREE or FOUR dear friends every YEAR to BATTLETECH POISONING! But we didn't know any better, and we LIKED IT!
And we rolled DICE for HOURS to play our games! There was none of this plastic clicky nonsense! Our DICE were radioactive TOO! And we had to roll them for hours and hours and hours to track EVERY SINGLE MISSILE! Why, my some of my friends are STILL rolling dice for their last turn when I left Norman THREE YEARS ago! And I don't plan to move back for at least five years and it STILL won't be my turn! But we didn't know any better, and we LIKED IT.
These kids today."  --Jim Butcher, Dresden Chronicles Author

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
Re: Zumwalt Class Destroyer
« Reply #1 on: 02 March 2013, 00:16:03 »
Next time, try place #x weapon name then T#. Much easier to ready. Like so...

Long Tom                               T2        30   (155 mm Advanced Gun System)      
Ammo:  Standard (920)                     184
Ammo: Copperhead (100)                   20
2x LB-10X                                T1           24   (Mark 110 57 mm Gun)      
Ammo:  Standard (1,000)                  100
Ammo: Flak (160)                              16   
4x Arrow IV                               T3          45  (Tactical Tomahawk)
Ammo:  Standard (40)                         8
Ammo: Anti-Aircraft (20)                      4      
3x LRM-20                               T1            30    (Evolved Sea Sparrow)      
2x LRM-20                               T2            20
2x LRM-20                               T3            20
2x LRM-20                               T4            20
2x LRM-20                               T5            20
2x LRM-20                               T6            20
3x LRM-20                               T7            30
LRM Ammo (160)                                32               
2x LRT-20                               T4              20    (ASROC)      
2x LRT-20                               T6              20   
LRT Ammo (40)                                    8

See the difference? Also it is ok to place multiple weapons in same turret and read it as a block.

2x LRT-20                               T4              20         (ASROC)   
2x LRM-20                              T4              20         (Evolved Sea Sparrow)   

May I suggest something? By lowering the missile launcher to a smaller set, you increase damage and ammo count. While 20's sound nice, you rarely get a solid lock-on. But by switching to 15 racks, it has a better damage spread, and multiple launches allows that potent 20+ spread, whch is alway nice. And you don't need to assign Arrow launchers to a turret, body mount might give a better feel as A4 doesn't need direction to fire off-board, just straight up and over. So assigning 2 per side works best, lowering the turret assembly, turret armor and possible the fire control system as well, while increasing this excess tonnage for other avenues.

Just a hint is all...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

AchanhiArusa

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 02 March 2013, 19:36:06 »
Thank you.  I am still playing with the rules and I can use the advice.  I may make some changes later based on your suggestions.  I just did 20s because of the 20 launch cell structure of the Zumwalt.
The Patton of wargame design, the Berg himself, is being immortally quoted elsewhere.
"Rich Berg once responded to gamers comments about one of his games, "I make this ****** up, so can you.""

"Back in MY day we played Battletech with figures made of LEAD! POISONED LEAD! And the only PAINT we had was RADIOACTIVE! Why, we lost at least THREE or FOUR dear friends every YEAR to BATTLETECH POISONING! But we didn't know any better, and we LIKED IT!
And we rolled DICE for HOURS to play our games! There was none of this plastic clicky nonsense! Our DICE were radioactive TOO! And we had to roll them for hours and hours and hours to track EVERY SINGLE MISSILE! Why, my some of my friends are STILL rolling dice for their last turn when I left Norman THREE YEARS ago! And I don't plan to move back for at least five years and it STILL won't be my turn! But we didn't know any better, and we LIKED IT.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #3 on: 02 March 2013, 23:12:32 »
Nice.  I have suggestion though.   Zumwalt's main guns are suppose to be for land attack / bombardment purposes.  Why not switch forward LB-X 10s to pair of Long Toms instead?   The ship is suppose to have couple 57mm cannons, you could use LB-X 2 or 5s in the turrets over the hanger.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

AchanhiArusa

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 02 March 2013, 23:37:38 »
I looked an the 57 mm guns were automated used as defense with both standard and pre-fragmented shells which seemed to scream LB-10X to me.  It was the forward advanced gun that was meant to be a siege weapon with an over 100 mile range.  To be honest I am trusting the Wikipedia article, so if you have other sources to look at I would be interested.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 02 March 2013, 23:53:12 »
Would it fire Star shells? If so, reconsider the standard AC.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

AchanhiArusa

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 03 March 2013, 08:33:39 »
I don't know what Star Shells are.  I did find standard Autocannon Flak in Tactical Operations and true an AC/10 would fit the tech level a little bit better (despite the glaring addition of the Arrow IVs).  Do you have a reference for that?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #7 on: 03 March 2013, 09:57:40 »
I looked an the 57 mm guns were automated used as defense with both standard and pre-fragmented shells which seemed to scream LB-10X to me.  It was the forward advanced gun that was meant to be a siege weapon with an over 100 mile range.  To be honest I am trusting the Wikipedia article, so if you have other sources to look at I would be interested.
Traditionally, LB-10s or even AC/10s been seen compariable as 80mm cannons.  AC/2s have been seen as 20-30mm cannons.  Thust why suggested thr LB-X 5 size.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

AchanhiArusa

• Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 03 March 2013, 11:31:20 »
Oh, okay I misread you.  That will work.  Thanks.  I know that the fluff for calibers can be all over the map.  What are the standard accepted calibers for Autocannons?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #9 on: 03 March 2013, 13:51:59 »
Oh, okay I misread you.  That will work.  Thanks.  I know that the fluff for calibers can be all over the map.  What are the standard accepted calibers for Autocannons?
The closest to canon sizes they'll give is mentioned in the TechManual.   P.207.  Which doesn't narrow it down precisely.
Quote from: TechManual
"With calibers ranging from 30 to 90 millimeters at the lighter end" - aka AC/2 & A/C5s
"end, to as much as 203 millimeters or more at the heaviest, most autocannons deliver their damage by firing high-speed streams or bursts of high-explosive, armor-defeating shells through one or more barrels." aka - AC/10s & A/C 20s.

It the novels, they mention in passing, such as 80mm, which was in Binding Force, where Loren L. Coleman has a character piloting a newly fielded Blackjack OmniMech which (if i remember right) was configured in the "Prime Configuration" which sports two Ultra 5 autocannons & pair.  The character referred to them as 80mm (if I'm remembering right, that book packed away somewhere..)

AchanhiArusa

• Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 03 March 2013, 16:58:31 »
The only way I can rationalize ACs in my head with real guns is that the smaller ACs are higher caliber with low fire rates and the larger ones have high fire rates.  That also disarms BT detractors.  But when I model I usually go with what the caliber is in real life.  But yeah, the change makes sense, so I did it.

I don't know if I want to change the LRM-20s.  No offense, it's just the 80 cell structure of the firing system along with 4 anti-ship missiles per cell.  20 x 4 = 80 and the LRM-20 is the only one of the four divisible by four.  I know that sounds weird, but I'm a physicist and it makes the numbers look wrong to me for some strange reason if I don't use 20s.  But one with LRM-15s could be a good variant.

DarthMetool

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 03 March 2013, 21:17:10 »
I really like this one.   O0 O0 O0 O0 O0
"John Hancock.  Wait, you want MY signature?"
The TRB Military Catalog
GENERATION 45: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 03 March 2013, 21:46:25 »
I don't know what Star Shells are.  Do you have a reference for that?

http://www.cyber-heritage.co.uk/arms_ammunition_images/

Warning, long thread...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

AchanhiArusa

• Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 03 March 2013, 22:05:26 »
My God,  It's full of guns!

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 03 March 2013, 22:20:44 »
Yeah, but a star shell is like a flare round, but for autocannons, so tracer round instead?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

AchanhiArusa

• Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 17 March 2013, 14:12:58 »
I'm not sure how a tracer round would the anti-aircraft.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #16 on: 17 March 2013, 15:25:58 »
I'm not sure how a tracer round would the anti-aircraft.
Aside from LB-X series, standard Autocannon can use flak ammunition.  Thus standard cannons do same thing to a degree as LB-Xs. 

Register