Author Topic: Chronological BattleTech Fiction Review - The Succession Wars  (Read 484415 times)

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
Re: Chronological BattleTech Fiction Review - The Succession Wars
« Reply #1020 on: 16 February 2015, 23:22:50 »
If I'm remembering correctly, I believe Spiderholm becomes the Temple of the Nine Muses after the Widowmakers are ejected and the Scorpions take over the joint.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #1021 on: 17 February 2015, 12:48:39 »
----- 30 Years Into the Third Succession War -----

Date: June 1, 2896

Title: Return of the Silent Man

Author: Joe Judt

Type: Graphic Novel

Synopsis:  Pynchon Base is an AFFS stronghold currently garrisoned by the mercenary Black Panther Company.  Its commander, Captain Morris, finds his cavort with a pair of consorts (apparently contracted "comfort women" for the base personnel) interrupted by the arrival of Captain Uriah - a man Morris had left for dead at the Battle of Shinono in 2894.  Morris' XO draws a pistol, but is slain when Uriah throws a combat knife, hitting the XO square in the forehead.  Morris angrily dismisses Uriah as an AWOL mercenary, but  Uriah presents AFFS orders placing him back in command of Black Panther Company, and making Morris the unit XO.  As Uriah departs, he is pursued by MechWarrior Abbot, who tells him Morris took command after Uriah had been lost in the mountains and that Uriah's original XO was killed when Liao aerospace fighters bombed them with white phosphorus. 

Morris, meanwhile, argues with a shadowy figure - asking how Uriah got orders to command the company, when Morris had been promised that reward.  The figure says the orders came from significantly up the chain of command - beyond his ability to influence.  He tells Morris that Uriah has to die. 

At the company mess hall, Uriah chews out his men for having become slovenly in his two year absence.  A heavyset trooper defends Morris' right to command, and accuses Uriah of having deserted them.  Uriah savagely beats him into submission, and tells the rest of the company to clean the barracks and prepare to move out in the morning. 

Notes: Aaaagh!  My eyes!  Blackthorne Publishing apparently teamed up with Franco-American Fritsches (a company lost to time, such that a Google search returns nary a trace) to bring us BattleTech...in 3-D!!!!!  Bereft as I am of red/blue 3-D viewing filter lenses (LosTech, indeed!), the overall visual effect was painful.

No date is given, but the setting is Frazer, described as "a world full of precious resources in disputed territory between the Federated Suns and the Capellan Confederation."  Looking at the Handbook timeline maps, Frazer was a Capellan world until it fell to the Federated Suns sometime during the Second Succession War (2830-2864).  The comic goes on to say that Pynchon Base has been the stronghold for the Federated Suns on this world for 30 years - thirty years of brutal, stalemated war.  Unless Frazer fell in the opening days of the Second War and Pynchon Base was erected almost immediately, there's little room to squeeze 30 years into the comparatively short Second War.  Much more likely (and a better fit, given the 'stalemated' description) is that Frazer fell towards the end of the Second War (around 2861, when Dainmar Liao was frightened into signing an armistice deal that ceded large swathes of Capellan territory to the Federated Suns), and the Federated Suns built Pynchon Base during the 2864-2866 interbellum period as an effort to consolidate their gains.  Thus, Pynchon Base could have guarded Frazer from 2866 to 2896 through "thirty years of brutal, stalemated war," so I'm inclined to put it in 2896.  (More importantly, there was an armistice on the Capellan border from 2905 to 2930, so the next possible date for this story would be in 2960.)

Changes of command were apparently pretty bloody in the early Third Succession War.  Looking at the original House Davion sourcebook, this was during the reign of Prince Joseph Davion II - 32 years old and a poor ruler.  Surrounded by sycophants and cronies, he refused to delegate administrative power - paralyzing the government when he went campaigning on the front for up to six months of the year.  This worsened the effects of the economic and technological decline affecting the Federated Suns.  As a result of Joseph's neglect, the MechWarrior Brotherhoods rose to power - extorting money, lands, and personal pleasures from members of the public.  The Royal Order of MechWarriors and Brotherhood of Honor (ROMBH) formed on New Syrtis and added members from all regiments along the Capellan border.  Granted, the Black Panther Company appears to be mercenary, and may not have been eligible to join an AFFS MechWarrior Brotherhood - but the ROMBH wasn't the only Brotherhood, and perhaps others accepted contracted mercenaries. 

Given the lax discipline, casual murder, and presence of apparently indentured "consorts" whose job description is "for the entertainment of the troops," it seems very likely that Panther Company is either operating under the auspices of  the ROMBH or another Brotherhood, or that Prince Joseph's attitude that MechWarriors could do no wrong influenced the liaison officer that should have been reporting to the Department of Mercenary Relations.    The House Davion sourcebook indicates that most liaison officers get their position by being at least distantly related to the Davion royal family.  I wonder if the shadowy figure is the liaison officer...
« Last Edit: 25 February 2015, 23:32:16 by Mendrugo »
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1022 on: 17 February 2015, 16:21:57 »
Ugly situation, i doubt we'll have new stories done that way.  That's not way to run military in any form, perception of a different age?  Least the story not canon, as far i can tell.

I still like comics, having Battletech in a comic/graphic novel form is something still wish done some day.  last one done was in done by Malibu comics, when the unseen thing accrued i think.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #1023 on: 17 February 2015, 19:14:38 »
Ugly situation, i doubt we'll have new stories done that way.  That's not way to run military in any form, perception of a different age?  Least the story not canon, as far i can tell.

Pirate bands are often run this way, and many pirate bands started as mercenaries that lost discipline and degenerated (such as the bands of Dead Mercs on Antallos - barely one notch above the zone gangs).  There are some similarities (probably intentional) between this scene and the chapter in Heir to the Dragon where Theodore has to use force to establish his authority over the Legion of Vega.  The Black Panther Company looks like an average merc force gone to seed on a long term garrison contract without any action for two years.

Regarding canonicity, it has been formally disavowed by TPTB as non-canon, but there isn't anything in the story that strikes me as being in conflict with any canon source material.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #1024 on: 18 February 2015, 03:55:37 »
Disavowed? I'm honestly not sure if Herb even knew the Blackthorne comics existed. In any case, his definition of Canon is pretty clear and these comics don't meet the criteria.
Though I would call them "not canon" (in the sense of apocrypha), instead of Non-Canon (which gives the impression of a positive rejection as in "this never happened" versus leaving the question unanswered).
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #1025 on: 18 February 2015, 04:36:31 »
How do you regard Mercenary units? I doubt throwing a knife into the head of one of the officers and announcing "I'm in command!" is a typical change of command for a mercenary unit. It's more in line with a bad clan than anything else.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #1026 on: 18 February 2015, 04:55:18 »
How do you regard Mercenary units? I doubt throwing a knife into the head of one of the officers and announcing "I'm in command!" is a typical change of command for a mercenary unit. It's more in line with a bad clan than anything else.

Uriah backs it with orders from the AFFS, and since the XO had drawn a pistol first, Uriah could legitimately claim self defense. 

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #1027 on: 18 February 2015, 04:56:52 »
Disavowed? I'm honestly not sure if Herb even knew the Blackthorne comics existed. In any case, his definition of Canon is pretty clear and these comics don't meet the criteria.
Though I would call them "not canon" (in the sense of apocrypha), instead of Non-Canon (which gives the impression of a positive rejection as in "this never happened" versus leaving the question unanswered).

I think that's a pretty fair read of the situation.  I've included them becasue they were intended to be canon at the time of their production, similar to BattleTechnology Magazine and the Malibu comics.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1028 on: 18 February 2015, 08:03:15 »
I think that's a pretty fair read of the situation.  I've included them because they were intended to be canon at the time of their production, similar to BattleTechnology Magazine and the Malibu comics.
Would it be possible to make note of their status when it comes to canon.  Without warning signs, people are going not realize that some of these things are in the gray area when it comes to canon statue. 
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #1030 on: 18 February 2015, 12:42:57 »
----- The Following Day -----

Date: June 2, 2896

Title: Return of the Silent Man

Author: Joe Judt

Type: Graphic Novel

Synopsis:  At 0400, Abbott reports for duty at the Pynchon Base 'Mech Bay, where technicians are readying the unit's BattleMechs for combat.  However, he and Uriah are the only MechWarriors present.  Abbott informs Uriah the men have gone on strike on the suspicion that he's planning to make them House forces for the Federated Suns, rather than fighting for money.  Uriah grabs an assault rifle and gives his troops a wake-up call by shooting up their barracks.  He tells them their employer has ordered them to move out at once.  Morris protests, but can do nothing while Uriah has the gun.  Uriah tells him there are two ways to achieve command - earn it, or steal it. 

The Panthers move out to assault the Capellan-held city of Shinono, a strategic site located at the foot of a mountain in a jungle region.  The Panthers will assault the city after airstrikes saturate the jungle edge.  Up above, aerospace fighters from the Mercury Air Lance execute their attack, firing missiles into the jungle ahead of the Panthers' assault.  The pilots feel pity for the mercs, since they've been on garrison duty without a fight for two years (since the previous failed assault on Shinono), and they're sure the ground troops will be massacred. 

In the jungle, the lead 'Mech, Anderson's Locust, takes a shot that severs its leg.  Maurizo's Rifleman is the next to fall.  Uriah tells Morris to cover his back, and orders his men to fire blindly.  His men hit CCAF 'Mechs which hadn't registered on their sensors (a Dragon, Griffin, Phoenix Hawk LAM, and Thunderbolt, backed by an air lance of two Stingrays, from the looks of it).  The Stingrays firebomb the Panthers, cutting off Morris and Uriah.  Alone in the flames with Uriah, Morris tries to kill his commander - admitting having tried to kill him during the previous assault on Shinono.  He monologues that he arranged to have Davion transponders placed on the Liao 'Mechs, rendering them invisible to Davion sensors.  He tells Uriah he'll kill him now, and that the Panthers will fall easily without him. 

Before Morris can destroy Uriah, he is felled himself by Abbott's sneak attack.  Mercury flight drives off the Liao fighters, and, with the traitor eliminated, Uriah tells Abbott they should get back into the action and resume the attack. 

Notes:  Black Panther Company's roster includes a Goliath, Wolverine (Uriah), Warhammer (Abbott), Locust (Anderson), BattleMaster (Morris), Rifleman (Maurizo), and Phoenix Hawk.

The larger story is only inferred, but my best guess is that the CCAF suborned Morris at some point in 2894.  He betrayed the attack on Shinono and caused Uriah's 'Mech to be destroyed and his XO's 'Mech to be targeted by a bombing run.  He then seized command in the confusion that followed.  The unit returned to Pynchon Base and Morris encouraged the unit to lose its combat edge through degenerate living and lack of discipline.  Morris' long-term goal appears to have been to cause the Black Panthers to rot from within, allowing Liao forces to overrun Pynchon Base (the cornerstone of the AFFS defense of the world) without much of a fight. 

Uriah appears to have survived the 2894 attack at the cost of his left eye.  In the intervening two years, he managed to get a cybernetic implant for his eye, obtain a replacement 'Mech, and get orders from the AFFS confirming his command of the Panthers.  Having a competent, loyal commander in charge of the Panthers would have ruined the Liao plans, so the shadowy figure talking to Morris was probably a Maskirovka handler. 

To me, this cements the setting as the Third Succession War - a time when limited resources on all sides made many battles see-saw affairs, where treachery could gain more ground than force of arms. 

The Liao aerospace fighters have vee-wings, marking them as Stingrays (probably taken from the Marik front at some point).  The AFFS fighters bear a passing resemblance to ZRO-114 Zeros, though such a design should be vanishingly rare at this point.  More likely, they're conventional strike fighters, akin to the Comet, Mechbuster, and Guardian.   One of the Panthers refers to them as "jets" at one point, further implying they're conventional fighters, rather than fusion-powered aerospace fighters.

It's curious that units with IFF transponders set to "friend" would fail to register on sensors, rather than appearing as green dots on the tactical display (as seen in the MechWarrior sim games).  The Liao 'Mechs were obviously able to see the Panthers and blast them despite lacking visual contact through the thick jungle canopy.  My guess is that Morris did more than just give the Liao 'Mechs the AFFS transponder codes - he must have also changed the settings on the tactical display to ignore those particular transponders.
« Last Edit: 19 February 2015, 07:02:23 by Mendrugo »

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #1031 on: 19 February 2015, 14:10:21 »
----- One Century Later -----

Date: April 9, 2996

Title: High-Value Target

Author: Philip A. Lee

Type: Short Story

Synopsis:  Captain Cyril De Milo of the First Orloff Grenadiers' First Battalion answers the summons of Major Vitor Duarte to a staff meeting, taking a moment to ensure his dress uniform is immaculate.  He ponders the problem of knowing he's a top notch soldier, but having had no opportunity to prove his valor during an extended stretch of quiet on the League/Confederation border.   

Cyril is excited when Major Duarte passes the news that the unit is being deployed to Tsinghai as part of a diplomatic mission to woo the Capellan world into joining the Duchy of Orloff.  Cyril can't hide his disappointment when he learns that, rather than combat, his unit is to escort the Duke of Orloff's son - Ambassador Skylar Orloff - to meet with Prime Minister Jain of Tsinghai.

As Cyril ensures his Trebuchet - "Peacemaker" - is ready for loading, he ponders how such a competent and respected man as Duke Reinhard Orloff (who he met once) could have such a bastard of an heir in Skylar Orloff, whom Cyril condemns for his tabloid antics and endless parade of mistresses.  His musing is interrupted by Skylar himself, who asks Cyril to help him with his 'Mech.  Cyril is surprised Skylar has a 'Mech, since he had avoided the customary military service usually required.  Cyril direct Skylar to Lead Tech Huerta, earning the heir's ire, since he was told Cyril would take care of it personally.  To avoid trouble with Major Duarte, Cyril finds Skylar's ride - a pristine AWS-8Q Awesome named "Wicked Witch."  Cyril considers it a waste for such a fine machine to be in the hands of a useless wastrel like Skylar. 

Notes:  Looking at the House Marik sourcebook, the First Orloff Grenadiers were disgraced just eight years previously, when one of its officers approached Janos Marik with a plot to overthrow Parliament and install a military junta.  Janos denounced the officer, but SAFE was unable to uncover the ringleaders.  Nonetheless, this may be a factor in the 1st Grenadiers' lengthy period of inaction.  This is also a period of heavy corruption in the FWLM.  SAFE began investigating the military bureaucracy in 2995 - finding widespread graft and bribery.  At this point, Captain-General Janos Marik (in power since 2991) is young (38) and vital, and committed to assessing the League's ills and systematically addressing them, with his loyal brother Anton at his side.

It's interesting that the political leader of Tsinghai is titled Prime Minister.  The 3025 House Liao sourcebook lists the political leader as Planetary Diem Ara Cummings.  Diems are responsible for two or more star systems.  The next rank down is that of Refrector - who is elected from a planetary population and is a direct representative of the population to the planet's ruler.  Tsinghai is a populous (4.2 billion) world that once thrived on uranium mining and a planetwide industrial complex, but now (due to Marik raids) is mostly known for its wines. The Liao Handbook shows the FWL conquered Tsinghai in the First Succession War, but lost it (along with Old Kentucky) in the Third Succession War.  My guess is that the reversion of Tsinghai to the Confederation is recent enough that the political structures imposed by the Free Worlds League haven't yet been replaced by traditional Capellan ranks and titles. 

It sounds like Skylar Orloff and Kolek Efflinger (the Lyran Ambassador's son on New Avalon) would get on famously. 
« Last Edit: 20 February 2015, 20:52:07 by Mendrugo »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1032 on: 19 February 2015, 18:13:35 »
Philip A. Lee's  High-Value Target was a great short-story!  He really capture the feel of things, in that book.  Capellans were i dare say felt more balance in it.   I'm glad they included in Battlecorp book Counterattack, I wouldn't have gotten to read it.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #1033 on: 20 February 2015, 21:26:34 »
----- That Same Day, on Ingersoll -----

Date: April 9, 2996

Synopsis:  In the command post of the 5th Confederation Reserve Cavalry, Captain Lin Wei Jiang meditates and ponders retirement.  Her concentration is interrupted by her XO, Commander Meyong Park, who brings word from Colonel Romanov that Chancellor Maximilian Liao has sent orders.  She reviews the file, and finds that some of the orders do not make sense.  However, as a loyal Capellan soldier, she vows to carry them out regardless. 

Notes: In 2996, Maximilian Liao has been Chancellor for only six years, and is still consolidating his authority - playing the regular military off against the Warrior Houses in the aftermath of the successful coup against his father, Tormax. 

Janos Marik's efforts to woo Tsinghai out of the Confederation have an interesting parallel - the previous year (2995), Maximilian Liao had a secret summit meeting with Dame Vall Mintaine of Asuncion, and agreed to recognize her at the ruler of the "Grand Duchy of Asuncion" and support her militarily if she broke with the League.

Circa 3025, the Confederation Reserve Cavalry regiments are the least respected of the CCAF formations, not even getting brigade or regimental insignias.  This changed by 3063 - when units got regimental insignias, but used the Capellan Confederation logo for their brigade.  The coloring shifted during the Jihad (presumably to show the Chancellor's favor, since displaying gold coloring is such a sign), and then gets an entirely new brigade insignia by the time the Dark Age rolls around.

The 3025 TO&E for the 5th Confederation Reserve Cavalry shows it as Green and understrength, with 1st Battalion on Tsinghai and 2nd Battalion on Larsha, both suffering from dismal morale.  At that point, Tsinghai is also garrisoned by the 1st Battalion of the Veteran Preston's Lancers - perhaps implying that the Strategios didn't trust the strategically located planet without a two-battalion garrison.  In the seventh wave of Operation RAT, Gamma and Delta Regiments of the Twelfth Vegan Rangers bracketed the 1st Battalion of the 5th CRC in a long valley, and the unit considered itself lucky to lose only half the battalion as it fought its way to its DropShips and retreated offworld.  In March 3031, the 5th CRC (still only two battalions and rated Green/Questionable) successfully defended Ingersoll against a raid by the 5th Defenders of Andurien, aided by substantial air support. 

By 3063, the 5th CRC is still Green, but has been restructured into a full regiment with armor, aerospace, and infantry support, and is defined by its recent combat experience against St. Ives forces on Warlock.  In 3064, it went bandit hunting on Muridox, massacring Pirate-major Kerry Wung and his Shen-se Tian warband.  During the Jihad, the 5th defeats the Illician Lancers on Imalda and the Jie Fang Legion on New Westin, though it took heavy casualties and is at 75% strength (Regular/Reliable) by 3079. 

The 5th CRC took 45% casualties during the Victoria War.  As part of Operation DIVINE RIGHT in 3112, the 5th CRC assaulted Styk at the end of Wave Two, where it was battered by the Fifth Triarii Protectors and Stone's Liberators, but emerged victorious after the Liberators withdrew.  The unit appears to have been administratively disbanded following the end of the Capellan Crusades.  The Fifth CRC designation was used for supply depot and training operations during Operation GREAT FLOOD, but that was just a bookkeeping ruse for the Hidden Lion regiments.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #1034 on: 21 February 2015, 02:09:40 »
----- Two Weeks Later -----

Date: April 22, 2996

Synopsis:  After a nine-day transit to the Zenith jump point and docking with the JumpShip CCS Silk Road, the 1st Battalion of the 5th Confederation Reserve Cavalry has been holding station for four days, awaiting orders. 

In the command center, Colonel Romanov reviews operational plans with the command staff, noting that the 5th will be operating with other CCAF units, and serving as the cleanup crew.  Captain Lin can't concentrate, however, as her nerves are shot from the extended stay in cramped quarters with microgravity, and being unable to burn incense to meditate.  A wave of nausea overcomes her, and she leaves the briefing to return to her stateroom.

Half an hour later, Major Petrowski (her CO) asks what happened to her.  She claims space sickness, and he recommends she spend a few hours on the Silk Road's grav deck.  She says meditation with incense would help, and he tells her there's a half empty cargo container in the Divine Thunder's hold he and some of the other CRC troops have been using to smoke.  He tells her to use it and to get herself 100% for the mission.

Notes: It's not specified what class the Silk Road is, but my guess would be Invader, since it is the JumpShip most commonly used by the regular armies of the Successor States.  The grav deck on an Invader is 65 meters in diameter and 6 meters wide, providing artificial gravity for off-duty and visiting personnel.

I can appreciate the anti-smoking requirement.  According to DropShips and JumpShips

FIRE SUPPRESSION SYSTEM

A fire on a ship must be stopped quickly, not only because tire will damage the ship, but also because the large amounts of toxic chemicals generated can quickly overload a ship's life support system. For these reasons, all space vessels carry fire suppression systems, consisting of an array of pipes that lead to every room and corridor on the ship. If a fire breaks out, containment doors automatically seal off the burning room or corridor, and then the pipes release a blast of halon, carbon dioxide, or some other fire ****** into the room.

The mechanism that triggers the system is a series of heat sensors and smoke detectors, which are also tied into the environmental monitor panels. When these units are triggered, the fire suppression system switches on, a warning bell sounds, and a fire detection panel on the bridge indicates the location of the fire.

I can see how the Divine Thunder's captain would be averse to having containment doors slam shut and occupied compartments flooded with fire ******.  (Not to mention the effect it would have on Lin's meditation.)

Explorer Corps adds that:

All spacefaring vessels carry an integral means of generating and/or purifying air to sustain their crew and passengers.  Most vessels contain numerous "scrubbing" systems on each deck that use mechanical and chemical methods to remove carbon dioxide and other potentially harmful gasses and compounds from the air. The physiological processes of the ship's crew and the routine functioning of its operating systems produce these harmful elements, and so without such scrubbers these elements would rapidly accumulate and render a vessel uninhabitable.  Human accessways and dedicated atmospheric ducting provides the means of circulating scrubbed air throughout a ship.

So the issue isn't really that the air would be contaminated by the smoke, but that it could accidentally trip the automatic fire suppression system.

Smoking apparently remains fairly common in the Successor States.  Tobacco is known to be grown on Bluford (where the local strain is deadlier and more addictive than any other), Larsha (where the leaf is rough and of poor quality), Turin (where Turin Leaf is a narcotic tobacco-based hybrid), and Woodstock (with tobacco specially intended for cigars).  (Interestingly, three of those four are Capellan worlds, circa 3025)  On Kyeinnisan, they smoke fine dryweed.  Combat Equipment lists Nicotine as Drug Strength 2, Potency 1, duration 2 hours, base price 1, and Tech Level A, Availability A, and Legality B.  Cannabis and Hashish are rated A/B/C (somewhat less available and generally illegal).
« Last Edit: 21 February 2015, 02:20:06 by Mendrugo »

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #1035 on: 22 February 2015, 03:13:51 »

Oh, I knew. I never cared.

-

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #1036 on: 22 February 2015, 15:15:31 »
----- Three Days Later -----

Date: April 25, 2996

Synopsis: In Tsinghai's capital city of Kokonor, the Orloff Grenadiers parade along the main boulevard.  Cyril views the spectacle from a raised viewing platform, along with Colonel Polzin, Ambassador Skylar Orloff, and Prime Minister Jain, who appears mesmerized by the display.  Skylar promises that the Orloff Grenadiers will serves as Tsinghai's first line of defense if it joins the Duchy of Orloff, and will no longer have to rely on a lackluster planetary militia to defend against raids.  Cyril realizes that the parade serves a double purpose - the same force could either offer protection, or it could burn Kokonor down around the Prime Minister's ears.  He realizes that Skylar is making Jain an offer she can't refuse, and feels disgusted that the honor of the Grenadiers is being leveraged for such an underhanded purpose. 

An aide interrupts Skylar's speech with a note from a ComStar courier.  Skyar reads the message and looks up, stunned - announcing that his father has been killed.  Cyril is horrified by the implication - Skylar is the new Duke of Orloff.  After speaking on a comm unit, Colonel Polzin reports Capellan forces are inbound, and says the Grenadiers cannot be committed to Tsinghai's defense without orders from the Captain General, unless Tsinghai becomes a member of the Duchy first.

Meanwhile, aboard the CCS Divine Thunder, Commander Park rouses Lin Wei from deep meditation in the cargo container.  He tells her the troops are assembled, and the ship will jump in ten minutes.  She scrambles into her Vindicator and is ready by the time the two-minute warning sounds.  As the Kearny-Fuchida drive powers up and hurls the ship through hyperspace, Lin has an intense vision of fleeing a viper in a forest, and being fatally bitten by it just as reality reasserts itself.  She recalls she's had strange hallucinations during jump in the past, but nothing this severe.  Still badly shaken by her vision, Lin drops with the rest of her battalion 35 minutes later. 

On the ground outside Kokonor, Cyril wrestles Duke Skylar out of the limousine and hustles him to his Awesome, the "Wicked Witch."  Skylar looks up at the Awesome with trepidation, having apparently never actually piloted it before, and refuses to get in.  Cyril tells him that if he dies, the Duchy of Orloff will be dissolved, the Grenadiers defunded and disbanded, and the League frontier will crumble before a Capellan onslaught.  Skylar suggests Cyril pilot the Awesome, while he makes his escape in Cyril's faster Trebuchet

The neurohelmet is too big (sized for Skylar's considerable girth) and not properly calibrated, but Cyril gets the Awesome powered up.  The lance moves out, with the Trebuchet wobbling after a Griffin, Wolverine, and Shadow Hawk, and the Awesome bringing up the rear, just as a Capellan Transit strafes the hangar complex.  Cyril sends out a sitrep, and receives rendezvous coordinates for evacuation ten kilometers away.  Major Duarte estimates they're under attack by at least two 'Mech battalions - a full fledged invasion. 

At the Capellan LZ, Lin Wei and her lancemates push through the Kokonor Foothills in the wake of the Prefectorate Guard and House Hiritsu.  She muses that Tsinghai is her family's ancestral home - lost since the latter years of the First Succession War.  Commander Huang from Recon Lance reports contact with a Marik lance that looks like it's escorting a VIP.  Lin asks for permission to engage, but Major Petrowski denies the request, ordering her to intercept a Grenadiers lance that penetrated the Prefectorate Guard's lines. 

Lin protests, worrying that an escaped planetary dignitary could spur hope among partisans and lead to decades of uprisings.  Petrowski says that no high-value targets are going to escape offworld.  To calm herself, Lin lights an incense stick in the cockpit, and briefly loses herself in meditation.  She then contacts Commander Huang and tells him to stay in contact with the high-value target until she arrives.

Cyril curses both the slowness of the Awesome and the steady gains the pursuing Capellan force is is making.  The Wolverine pilot radios from ahead that she has visual on the rendezvous point - an outlying airfield with an intact hangar and airfield.  The Griffin pilot reports hostile contact as LRMs begin to burst around the fleeing Grenadier lance.  The Awesome responds more slowly than his Trebuchet, and Cyril misses his shot at an approaching Clint.  Cyril winces as he sees his family's Trebuchet take heavy damage under Skylar's amateur handling.  As more Capellan 'Mechs approach, Cyril receives no response to his request for reinforcements from Major Duarte. 

Lin faces competing demands over her intercom - Major Petrowski demands she maneuver as ordered, while Commander Huang asks for backup to prevent the Leaguers from reaching the airfield.  Lin tells Huang they're en route and ignores Petrowski.  Approaching the airbase, she sees, painted on the Awesome's front, the horrid green viper from her vision.  She tells her subordinates to concentrate on the rest of the recon lance, and to leave the Awesome to her. 

Still three kilometers from the airfield, the Grenadier lance is getting chewed up.  Cyril takes a hard hit and sees Lin's Vindicator on approach.  'Mechs begin to drop on both sides.  Cyril orders his lance to get Skylar to the airfield, while he turns and faces the onrushing 5th CRC 'Mechs, backing into the forest canopy for cover.  Lin pursues into the forest, but finds sensors useless - the trees have high metallic content, appearing as false positives on the MAD display.  Lin sends an open broadcast, demanding surrender.  Cyril responds with a particle cannon barrage - rendering himself visible on heat sensors in the process.  He continues his attack, systematically downing Lin's entire lance, except for her Vindicator.  A desperate last volley from the Vindicator takes the Awesome down at last. 

Cyril awakens as he is taken into custody by Capellan infantry, along with his lancemates.  However, he sees an Orloff-painted Leopard blasting off from the airfield, and knows that the Duke made it away. 

Notes:  I was incorrect in my earlier assessment.  The Orloffs weren't trying to swing a Capellan world out of the Confederation - they were trying to woo an independent League world into the Duchy of Orloff.  This is the invasion where the Capellans reconquer Tsinghai during the Third War. 

Lin's bout with Transit Disorientation Syndrome is the first time we've seen prophetic-seeming visions linked to hyperspace jumps.  Interstellar Players suggests alien consciousnesses attempt to take over human minds during jumps for sinister purposes.  Though this is clearly a tabloid fantasy in the BattleTech universe, you can see where such stories gain credibility if visions like Lin's are at all commonplace.  Given the intensity of her visions, I was wondering if Lin was inhaling incense laced with KrayZee, but it's described as simple sandalwood. 

I know from experience how hard it can be to take an Awesome down.  In one seafloor battle I played years ago, all I had to do was breach the armor in any section to flood and kill it.  I kept plinking the Awesome all over, until there was only one section left that could take a hit without breaching.  So where do I connect with my last shot before my unit gets wiped out?  You guessed it.  I liked how author Philip Lee describes the little quirks that make piloting different machines a completely different experience. 

After centuries of steady losses, many Capellans must have emotional ancestral ties to enemy-held worlds.  In this sense, Lin has a lot in common with the Northwind Highlanders, though she was lucky enough to be able to reclaim her ancestral home without having to change sides first. 

I wonder how common it is/was in the League for the larger political alliances to pressure independent worlds to join.  We've seen some instances of political entities seceding from parent powers, but it's rare for individual worlds to be pulled into the orbit of the regional powers. 

A spare escape ship located at an outlying airfield is on the verge of becoming a BattleTech trope - since Theodore Kurita uses the same tactic (right down to putting another person in his personal 'Mech as a decoy) on Marfik. 

The timing of Reinhard Orloff's death seems entirely too coincidental to be random happenstance, especially since it was a killing, rather an an accidental death.  My guess is that a Maskirovka hit team took him out to throw the Duchy of Orloff into chaos and prevent the Grenadiers from sending reinforcements to stop the Capellan invasion. 

There seems to be a bit of a continuity error regarding House Orloff.  Looking at the House Marik sourcebook, I see that Vicente Orloff, "son of the Earl" is a member of Janos Marik's "Council of Friends" in 2991.  Vicente is noted as having been a decorated officer in the Orloff Grenadiers, and he's still alive and running the Duchy as Earl in 3025 at the age of 56.  This story names the Duke of Orloff (and Skylar's father) Reinhard.  The House Marik sourcebook, however, doesn't leave much room in the continuity for either Reinhard or Skylar.  I'll ask in the "Ask the Writers" section to see if an official explanation can be handwaved (probably as an error by House Marik in-universe author George Ninetrees).

(Edit:  Actually, it's possible that Vicente was Skylar's younger brother in 2991, since the House Marik reference just calls him the "son of the Earl" rather than the heir, and then sometime between 2996 and 3025, he succeded Skylar.  Vicente would be 27 in 2996.)
« Last Edit: 24 February 2015, 01:09:35 by Mendrugo »

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #1037 on: 23 February 2015, 20:49:15 »
----- The Following Day -----

Date: April 26, 2996

Synopsis: At a MASH theater on the outskirts of Kokonor, Major Petrowski finds Lin Wei Jiang and demands an explanation for why she disobeyed orders.  Unable to speak, she types her answers on a noteputer, telling him she wanted to perform a final service for the Confederation before her neurodegenerative condition made it impossible for her to serve in active duty.  Petrowski commiserates, saying one of his relatives had the same condition. 

He tells her the Free Worlds League forces are retreating offworld, leaving Tsinghai in Capellan hands.  He says it's the first planet the Confederation has regained in a long time, but will probably be the last one for a while.

Lin types that at least she made it back to her ancestral home, and can die at peace.  She asks Petrowski to bring her some sandalwood incense.

Notes: Petrowski is wrong about territorial gains.  If Tsinghai was the first world to be reclaimed in this offensive, then Old Kentucky must have fallen to the CCAF some time before 3014 (the maps in Historical: Brush Wars for Anton's Revolt show Old Kentucky as a Capellan world).  During the later half of the 2900s, the main FWL concern was the Lyran front.  Perhaps it was the capture of Tsinghai and Old Kentucky that led Janos to appoint Anton to head up the Capellan front - where he gained a reputation for launching brutal offensives into Capellan territory.

I've always been intrigued by the occasional appearance of mysticism in BattleTech.  Whether it's Kuritan "ki," the prophetic visions associated with the Devalis bloodline of the Nova Cats, or Phantom 'Mech Syndrome, it's like a little bit of Shadowrun bled through into the BattleTech universe.  In this story, we have a woman with a diagnosed neurodegenerative condition (which had a known cure during the Star League era) who has a prophetic vision during a hyperspace transit - seeing a vision of an emerald green viper that will destroy her, shortly before she encounters the emerald green Awesome that wipes out her lance and puts her in the MASH unit.  Pure coincidence - sure. 

Or perhaps the interaction of certain human minds with hyperspace (only a small fraction of the populace is affected by transit disorientation syndrome, after all) can lead to chronologically altered perceptions.  We know that time can be affected during a hyperjump - the Lionhearts experimental drive hurls them 300 years into the future in Living Legends, and the rules section on "Cutting In" implies the Living Legends incident isn't unique.  There's nothing conclusive here, to be sure, but it's interesting to speculate.  It would be very interesting to know if Major Carolina Devalis (or any other Devalis, for that matter) or Stefan Amaris ever had transit disorientation syndrome.  (Amaris famously had a vision that "Kerensky and his Wolves are coming for us all!" - opening up the question about which Kerensky he was referring to - Aleksandr or Ulric)

I really enjoyed this work by Philip A. Lee, and felt it added value to the BattleCorps compilation.  (It's a good technique to get completists to buy the anthologies if they already have all the other stories therein from BattleCorps subscriptions)  I can sense that he looked at the 2nd and 3rd War maps in the Capellan Handbook, noticed the unique counteroffensive grabbing back Tsinghai and Old Kentucky, and saw the potential for a story there.  I also like the dual perspective, which is well suited to the BattleTech universe (where there are heroes on both sides), allowing readers to root for their preferred faction, and gain insight into the OpFor.  Both characters were well developed.  Aside from some lingering uncertainty as to where Vicente Orloff fits into the Duchy's line of succession circa 2996, this is an excellent addition to the BattleTech canon.
« Last Edit: 23 February 2015, 21:01:00 by Mendrugo »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1038 on: 24 February 2015, 11:17:59 »
It was such a good story, i like how the Awesome was named "Wicked Witch"  >:D

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #1039 on: 24 February 2015, 13:39:57 »
----- Nine Years Later -----

Date: February 12, 3005

Title: Seven Years' Bad Luck

Synopsis:  Eight year old Steel Viper sibcadet Sonja struggles through an exam at the Sandsea Training Camp on New Kent.  She is pressured for help by her sibkin, Tanya, who prefers picking fights to memorizing the Remembrance.  Tanya and Sonja are particularly close because they're identical twins, created from Khan Sanra Mercer's bloodline.  Sonja worries that if Tanya fails the exam and washes out of warrior training, the scientists might decide she is defective as well, and decides to help her twin cheat on the exam - allowing them to succeed or fail together.

Notes:  The closeness and bonds of loyalty between sibkin is reminiscent of that displayed by the Snow Ravens in "Half of a Warrior," where it is noted that aerospace pilot sibcadets take their exams together and consider themselves one unit - succeeding or failing in tandem.  In the Jade Phoenix trilogy, Aidan displays similar loyalty to his sibkin, only to be harshly disillusioned when the once cohesive group turns into a group of bitter loners each out for their own glory, and he is betrayed by the one he was closest to during his Trial of Position.  Given the "grasshopper and the ant" dichotomy being established between Tanya and Sonja, not to mention the title itself, I can't see this ending well for the girls.

The question Sonja is struggling with, "What was the significance of Khan Sanra Mercer's triumph on Hellgate in 2899?" is a callback to one of the author's other BattleTech stories - "Half of a Warrior," which focuses on the losing side of that conflict - the Snow Ravens.  Regular readers will note I've been doing a Philip A. Lee marathon recently as I cover Star League and Succession War-era material released after I passed that point in my chronological series.  Mr. Lee has committed himself to doing at least one story for each Clan - this is his Steel Viper submission.

Entries so far in Lee's "Clan Cycle" include:

Historical Turning Points: Widowmaker Absorption (Clan Widowmaker)
Half of a Warrior (Clan Snow Raven)
Whispering Death (Clan Nova Cat)
Seven Years' Bad Luck (Clan Steel Viper)
A Keystone Arch (Clan Fire Mandrill)
A Wolf in the Eyrie (Clan Jade Falcon)
Quail Hunting (Clan Smoke Jaguar)
Fragments of History (Clan Goliath Scorpion)
A Living Epitaph (Clan Hell's Horses)
Shades and Spirits (Clan Wolverine...sort of)
« Last Edit: 24 February 2015, 13:44:05 by Mendrugo »

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #1040 on: 24 February 2015, 13:55:21 »
It may be asking too much, especially this late into the series, but shouldn't the Clan and IS timelines be kept separate until ca. 3049?
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #1041 on: 24 February 2015, 14:04:39 »
I considered it at first, but decided I liked seeing the interleaving of "meanwhile, up in the Kerensky cluster" in the timeline flow. 

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1042 on: 24 February 2015, 15:28:26 »
I agree with, Mendrugo.  I am enjoying the interleaving of the things happening both locations. Give's sense of what happening at that moment.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #1043 on: 25 February 2015, 20:55:45 »
----- One Year Later -----

Date: March 3, 3006

Synopsis:  Nine year old Sonja is reviewing rifle handling and maintenance in her barracks when her identical twin Tanya enters with a smug look on her face, unconvincingly denying she's done anything.  She asks Sonja why she's bothering with rifle practice, when both of them are on track to become MechWarriors. 

At that moment, Handler Fenwick storms into the barracks, his face and hair stained chemical toilet blue.  He accuses Tanya of being responsible for his condition.  Tanya, leveraging her twin's presence, pretends to be Sonja and says 'Tanya' has been here with her all night.  Sonja plays along, and when Fenwick demands she present her hands for inspection, he finds them clean.  Frustrated, he leaves in search of the culprit. 

Tanya thanks Sonja for covering for her, using her nickname "Little Sib."  Sonja notices that Tanya's hands are tinged blue as well.  Tanya grins, and suggests going to tell the whole camp populace about Fenwick's color change.

Notes:  This scene establishes that Steel Viper sibko training is just as harsh as the Jade Falcon regime shown in Way of the Clans, with cadets washed out for failing to complete a midnight rifle drill on time or for playing pranks.  Field Manual: Warden Clans' Steel Viper section author (Khan Natalie Breen) claims "[Steel Viper] warriors always had the most thorough training of any in the Clans."  She adds that "Since the earliest days of the Clans, the Steel Vipers have been renowned for harsh but effective training practices.  Where most Clans graduate four or five warriors from each sibko, ours rarely produce more than one or two."  They overcome the low graduation rate by training twice as many sibcadets, ending up with the same number of front line warriors.  In the Kerensky Cluster, training takes place at the Fer-de-lance facility on Arcadia and the Sandsea Training Camp on New Kent.  The Clans: Warriors of Kerensky adds that "the Vipers' ultra-strenuous training program results in an above-average level of dropouts and a proportionately higher number of trueborn personnel in their civilian castes.  With a success rate of only two percent, little stigma is attached to failure."

The scene also establishes the plot point that Tanya and Sonja are so close in appearance that even their training officers can't tell them apart.  It also establishes that the two, despite having been decanted simultaneously, have a big sister/little sister relationship based on Tanya having been the original name for the embryo, and Sonja having been the name given to the second embryo after the split.  Sonja notes that the scientists hoped the twins would challenge each other at every turn, and intentionally tried to drive a wedge of rivalry between them, but the two remained inseparable. 

Sonja could be studying the specs for either the Star League spec Mauser 960 Assault System (which remained in production in the Kerensky cluster until being supplanted by the Mauser IIC shortly after the year 3000), or the then (3006) brand new Mauser IIC.  However, since the next scene involves a training exercise with slug throwing rifles (rather than the laser equipped Mauser), and the only other Clan-specific infantry weapon listed in Combat Equipment is the Avenger Crowd Control Weapon, I'm not sure what they're using.  Probably something equivalent to the "Rifle (Automatic)" listed in A Time of War.  The description of the Mauser IIC notes that its weight makes it awkward to handle for adult soldiers, so it's probably not an ideal training tool for nine year olds.
« Last Edit: 26 February 2015, 20:18:59 by Mendrugo »

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #1044 on: 26 February 2015, 19:50:51 »
----- 18 Months Later -----

Date: September 27, 3007

Synopsis:  Sibko SV-19 Gamma, under Tanya's command, engages in a live-fire training exercise against SV-37.  The two sibkos use low-velocity slugthrowers with body armor.  Sonja serves as Tanya's second, in charge of battle strategy.  Both are frustrated with sibcadet Yulian, who routinely takes friendly fire in these exercises by being out of position.

SV-37 presses the girls' sibko hard, hitting their pickets simultaneously.  Tanya refuses to send aid from the main body, unwilling to risk exposing SV-19 to a flanking maneuver.  The point becomes moot, as seemingly dozens of SV-37 troops pour into the main thoroughfare.  Ever confident, Tanya tells Sonja they can wipe out the attackers with their superior marksmanship, but as they rise from behind cover to start shooting, Yulian pops up in front of them with a grenade in his hand.  Sonja holds her fire to avoid him.  Tanya doesn't, shooting him in the hand.  The grenade goes flying and detonates at Sonja's feet.

Sonja regains consciousness, face covered with blood, to find Tanya bending over her.  Once assured that her twin will live, Tanya goes to Yulian and proceeds to slam him against the wall to punish him for hurting her "Little Sib."

Notes:  Tanya is described as a Point Commander.  For conventional infantry in the Clans, a Point is 25 troops.  That could imply that 76 out of SV-19's original 101 have washed out by this point, unless the sibkos are using non-standard Point sizes based on washout rates.  Pavel, Ivann, Nonna, and Rada are all squad commanders (implying they each command a 5-cadet element).  That would imply that, in the central corridor, there's just Tanya, Sonja, Yulian, and two others.  If dozens of SV-37 troops rushed their position, I wonder how SV-19 won the engagement.  I can imagine Tanya continuing to fire into the SV-37 ranks even after they halted in concern/confusion over Sonja's injury, scoring "points" with wicked abandon before Handler Orin called the exercise to an end.

Sonja notes that SV-37 seems to have far more troops than it should.  I couldn't help think of the scenes in Ender's Game, where increasingly difficult challenges are thrown at Dragon Army, including being massively outnumbered.  If the Sandsea Camp Handlers are trying such tactics (seeing how sibcadets handle the tactical surprise of being outnumbered), how does that square with Clan one-on-one honor dueling?  With Wolf's Dragoons already on their Inner Sphere recon mission, is the next generation of Clan warriors being prepared to fight Spheroid hordes?  If so, kudos to the Vipers for advance planning. 

The scene also made me recall the live fire training exercise in Starship Troopers, where a screwup trainee takes off his helmet and catches a bullet in the brainpan.

I've put an image of ballistic plate below, but given that we're talking about 10-11 year olds, and that the guns have been powered down, it's more likely they're wearing Flak Armor suits, which have a BAR rating of 5 against ballistic (I just don't have a graphic for flak armor).  That would stop a powered-down rifle round (Base Damage 4), but would let through damage from a micro-grenade (Base Damage 8). 
« Last Edit: 26 February 2015, 20:12:38 by Mendrugo »

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #1045 on: 27 February 2015, 11:05:16 »
----- Three Days Later -----

Date: September 30, 3007

Synopsis:  Three days after the training accident, Sonja takes the bandages off her face and finds two deep scars on her left cheek.  She looks at the shape they make, and imagines it as the outline of a steel viper's head, as seen from above.  She muses that she refused medical treatment, so that she could bear the scars as a warrior's badge of honor. 

Tanya enters and looks at her in the mirror.  Tears well in her eyes as she notes they are no longer identical twins - no longer mirrors.  They discuss the civilian caste superstition that broken mirrors result in seven years of bad luck, but Tanya dismisses it, saying she and Sonja make their own luck.  Tanya resolves to make it so the mirror was never broken.

She pulls out a ceramic knife from her boot sheath and carves an identical cut in her own left cheek.  Looking in the mirror afterwards, both sporting viper shaped gashes, Tanya judges that no harm has been done, and that the next day's exams should worry them more than freebirth superstition.

Notes: As you can see below, Warriors from a variety of Clans bear scars as badges of honor.  Sonja is following in the tradition of other BattleTech fiction stories where Clan characters refuse plastic surgery following an injury - preferring the scars.  When the technology becomes available, Enhanced Imaging tattoos are not seen as disfiguring, but do lower the wearers' status nonetheless because it implies desperation or the need for a technological crutch. 

Tanya is one sick puppy.  Self mutilation at the age of ten is a sign of some serious fixation issues, though it's not unprecedented.  In the Free Rasalhague Republic, thousands of young cadets gave themselves self-inflicted scars to mirror Tor Miraborg.  For the Clans, physical beauty isn't really important (not for the Warrior Caste, anyhow), compared to the allure of someone who has demonstrated battlefield prowess.  From an evolutionary standpoint, success in battle, rather than physical fertility signifiers, is the way to ensure successful offspring.

The girls' awareness of and semi-credence in superstition is intriguing.  I would have thought the Sandsea Training Camp would be a completely closed off Warrior Caste only environment.  As small children, the girls might have been allowed to watch episodes of The Adventures of Clan Spaniel, but where would they have picked up enough of civilian caste culture to be aware of relatively obscure elements like ancient superstitions about broken mirrors?  (In a later scene, it's mentioned that the Steel Vipers inflict the death penalty for unauthorized inter-caste fraternization, so I can't see the girls having been out mixing with Labor Caste  mooks much.)
« Last Edit: 28 February 2015, 19:55:53 by Mendrugo »

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #1046 on: 28 February 2015, 05:29:43 »
----- Ten Years Later -----

Date: July 15, 3017

Synopsis:  Sibko Training Unit SV-19 Gamma has been whittled down, over the course of twenty years, to just six of the original 101 - Sonja, Tanya, and the four named as squad leaders in the 3007 training exercise.  Today is the final Trial of Position, known to the Steel Vipers as the Molting.  Sonja has heard that the Vipers graduate, on average, only two from every sibko, and she is determined it will be herself and Tanya.  Sonja is called third, and she says goodbye to Tanya before entering the proving grounds.  She reassures Tanya that both of them can "make their own luck." 

Out on the proving grounds, Sonja pilots her Battle Cobra into a Circle of Equals formed by other Battle Cobras, painted identically to hers.  Chief Handler Marissa Breen instructs her to find an empty place in the Circle and await instructions.  Three more Battle Cobras join the Circle over the next few minutes.  Breen then instructs Sonja to enter the Circle and prepare for Molting.  Another of the identical Battle Cobras joins her. 

As the duel commences, Sonja gets the first strike, but her opponent hits back hard, breaching her engine shielding.  She scores another solid hit dead center on the enemy 'Mech, but her foe is faster, and strikes a crippling blow in its next volley, knocking Sonja's Battle Cobra out of commission.  She tears off her neurohelmet and beats it into a dented ruin in rage and frustration.  When she climbs out of her cockpit, she is horrified to see that the duel's victor is her twin, Tanya. 

Handler Fenwick debriefs Sonja afterwards.  Nonna and Ivann will be joining Tanya as MechWarriors, while Pavel is dead and Rada will lose an arm.  Fenwick tells Sonja she will be assigned infantry training.  When she asks if she can see Tanya, he tells her Tanya is no longer any of her concern, and advises her to concentrate on not flushing out of infantry training.

Notes:  Running the numbers, it appears the standard practice is to trim down sibkos to a final four, and then make the two winners into MechWarriors.  The presence of six is probably unusual (though counterbalanced by sibkos where only two make it to the end, to maintain the average) - an anomaly empowered by Sonja's steadfast support for Tanya over the course of two decades.  Without Sonja, Tanya would have failed her exams or gotten caught pranking before they even reached combat training.  You'd think, for a Clan that prides itself on only graduating the best of the best of the best, they'd have a seed system to avoid pitting the better half of the finalists against each other, since that would result in inferior cadets making it into the Touman, while superior cadets are taken out by the single elimination tourney rules. 

Fortunately for Sonja, the Steel Vipers appear to be one of the few Clans that take unarmored infantry training seriously, rather than just handing freebirth/solahma troops a shotgun and pointing them at an oncoming Firestarter.  According to the Steel Viper writeups, there's no stigma in the Civilian castes for washing out of Warrior training, with such a high failure rate, but there is a stigma against MechWarrior candidates who wash out and then become infantry troopers.  I wonder if they pass everyone who demonstrates proficiency in the infantry program, or if they have to undergo another Trial of Position in which they must defeat a peer.  I would think that second-chancer Elemental phenotype cadets would have a significant edge in such a competition, whereas second-chancer aerojocks would be at a substantial disadvantage.

I wonder what happens in the event that there are an odd number of cadets?  Most likely one of the staff, or a cadet from a similarly odd-numbered sibko are paired up.  Both Battle Cobras have ER-PPCs, which can take out a cockpit in a single hit.  I would think, were I designing the test, that 'Mechs without Gauss Rifles, ER PPCs, or UAC/20s would be best, because they reduce the impact of sheer random lucky hits, and force the winner to earn victory through superior piloting and gunnery, rather than rolling boxcars at just the right time.

I'm seeing a trend (well nigh a trope) in Clan-themed fiction that much of the dramatic impetus comes from the central character's failure at a crucial juncture (usually the Trial of Position) and subsequent existence on the margins of the Clans' regimented society.  In Fall From Glory, Andery Kerensky failed his test to remain on active duty.  In Way of the Clans, a Jade Falcon fails his Trial of Position.  Tears of Blood follows the experience of a Blood Spirit ristar who fails a crucial test and is washed out, finding redemption as a ProtoMech pilot.    In Whispering Death, a Nova Cat is unfairly banished into the Bandit Caste.  Whereas most of the Warrior Caste followed a cookie-cutter existence of sibko -> Warrior -> either death/glory or solahma, the square pegs are the ones that seem to catch the authors' interest most often.
« Last Edit: 28 February 2015, 17:35:54 by Mendrugo »

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #1047 on: 28 February 2015, 14:50:14 »
I'm seeing a trend (well nigh a trope) in Clan-themed fiction that much of the dramatic impetus comes from the central character's failure at a crucial juncture (usually the Trial of Position) and subsequent existence on the margins of the Clans' regimented society.  In Fall From Glory, Andery Kerensky failed his test to remain on active duty.  In Way of the Clans, a Jade Falcon fails his Trial of Position.  Tears of Blood follows the experience of a Blood Spirit ristar who fails a crucial test and is washed out, finding redemption as a ProtoMech pilot.    In Whispering Death, a Nova Cat is unfairly banished into the Bandit Caste.  Whereas most of the Warrior Caste followed a cookie-cutter existence of sibko -> Warrior -> either death/glory or solahma, the square pegs are the ones that seem to catch the authors' interest most often.
Just to mention another prominent Clan character: Nova Cat warrior George from the German-only Bear Cycle of novels has his Trial of Position overrun by bandits while the trial is ongoing. In the chaos he destroys one enemy, unsure what is wrong with his ToP, before witnessing the opening cinematics of the MechWarrior 2 game and having his own 'Mech destroyed in the explosion of Alpha Assault (George's callsign is Gamma Cadet). As the only surviving cadet, he is ultimately considered to have (barely) passed his ToP for destroying one bandit outside of the actual trial. Apparently this decision only came after a lot of debate, and George is merely assigned a Jenner IIC in the aftermath instead of a frontline OmniMech.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #1048 on: 01 March 2015, 12:51:13 »
----- Seven Years Later -----

Date: July 2, 3024

Synopsis:  Sonja, now an infantry Star Captain, serves as coregn (XO) of the 131st Phalanx Cluster - a second line conventional infantry unit in Nu Galaxy, assigned to defend Viper holdings on Marshall.  Cluster commander Star Colonel Violet has indicated Sonja will eventually replace her as Cluster commander.  She reports to the parade ground as ordered to welcome a new Cluster to the garrison - the Viper Fusiliers.  The Fusiliers' commander approaches and introduces herself as Star Colonel Tanya Mercer.  Tanya smiles superficially and greets her "Little Sib," but later tells her she would rather have died in the Molting than be assigned infantry duty. 

Unable to restrain her hurt curiosity, Sonja demands to know if Tanya rigged the Molting to face Sonja.  Tanya responds that Sonja simply did not have what it takes to be a Steel Viper.  She clarifies that had Sonja been a true Warrior, she would have let Tanya flunk out of training long before the Molting, and would not have had to face her at that point.  She said the handlers purposefully matched them against each other to punish Sonja for helping Tanya during the sibko years.

Stung by Tanya's comments, Sonja recalls all the trials she has won over the past seven years, and resolves to test her MechWarrior skills in a simulator run.  She replays the Battle Cobra fight from her Molting, but loses six times in a row.  She decides the problem is not a lack of skill or practice, but the fact that she could not bring herself to shoot her own twin.  Dejected, she powers down the simulator and once again exits the MechWarrior's world.

Notes:  By 3060, the 131st Phalanx Cluster was as a Regular/Reliable part of Nu Galaxy, where it continued to safeguard Marshall (though it was, at the time of Field Manual: Warden Clans' writing, recently defeated by the Fifth Scorpion Cuirassiers on Marshall.  Its insignia is a black disc with a snake slithering from beneath a Greek helmet emblazoned with the number 131.  By 3067, per Field Manual: Update, Nu Galaxy successfully fought off Fire Mandrill and Goliath Scorpion attacks on Marshall, and was recognized as a semi-frontline Galaxy.  The 131st had been transferred to Grant's Station, and is upgraded to Veteran status.  In August 3072, the survivors of Nu's two clusters (presumably including elements of the 131st) holed up in Station Zebra while the rest of the Viper holdings onworld were wiped out by bandits armed with Star League technology.  The Nu survivors take part in the attack against the Blood Spirits on Tokasha in September 3074.  Nu joined with Beta Galaxy to crush the Spirits' Omicron Galaxy.  By February 3076, however, the 131st was ashes along with the rest of the Annihilated Steel Vipers.

The Viper Fusiliers, circa 3060, are an Elite/Fanatical unit from Beta Galaxy.  Their insignia is a pennant blowing in the wind, bearing the Steel Viper Clan insignia.  The Fusiliers fought Capellan Warrior House Ijori on Goat Path, and then was posted to Marshall when the Vipers were forced out of the Inner Sphere by the Jade Falcons.  They defeated the Falcons' Second Velites in early 3069, but a rematch later in the year ended in disaster, when the Falcons used artillery to smash most of the Cluster, leaving only a Binary to retreat in disgrace.

Field Manual: Warden Clans notes that the Vipers use infantry troops to guard facilities and maintain order.  These units are exclusively Trueborn.

Given her natural talent, Sonja seems to have done relatively well for herself over the titular "Seven Years' Bad Luck" since her failed Molting.  Still, she's seen as lower than dirt by Tanya (who perhaps feels uneasy and disgusted by the "what might have been" picture Sonja presents).  Sonja notes that only constant readiness has kept the 131st Phalanx from being disbanded by the Clan command, and is disappointed at how often it is bid away when there is fighting among the five Clans sharing Marshall. 

If infantry units are routinely bid away, I wonder how they ensure there are enough berths for failed MechWarriors in the Phalanx Clusters.  There are only 1,875 soldiers in the entire 131st Phalanx (5 Trinaries - 15 Stars - 75 Points - 25 troops per Point).  If they aren't dying at the requisite rate, where do the rest of the second chancers go?  There are only eight Phalanx Clusters in the Touman, circa 3060, implying 15,000 conventional infantry slots.  If they aren't being regularly bid into combat, do they just age out?  Into what?  Solahma duty?  They'are already infantry.  Perhaps on those rare occasions when the local commander is desperate enough to bid infantry, they die gloriously in great numbers, freeing up slots for fresh washouts.
« Last Edit: 01 March 2015, 21:11:52 by Mendrugo »

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #1049 on: 01 March 2015, 14:10:45 »
Your math doesn't quite add up.  5 Trinaries is 15 Stars, not 25, and with 125 troops per Star you have a total of 1875 infantry in the cluster.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.