Author Topic: Chronological BattleTech Fiction Review - The Succession Wars  (Read 488116 times)

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Re: Chronological BattleTech Fiction Review - The Succession Wars
« Reply #150 on: 19 May 2013, 06:15:30 »
----- 11 Days Later -----

Date: November 5, 2823

Title: Betrayal of Ideals – Asunder

Author: Blaine Lee Pardoe

Type: Serialized Novel (BattleCorps)

Synopsis:  Khan Franklin Hallis reviews the Wolverine situation as he shepherds a small fleet of ships through an unoccupied system.  He split the evacuation fleet in the hopes of allowing more to escape – having each sub-fleet proceed separately and then rendezvousing at key systems to recalculate routes, switch up the mix of ships, and proceed along separate routes to the next rendezvous.  He knows that the ilKhan’s charges were baseless, but also knows that neither Nicholas nor the other Clans will listen to his protestations of innocence – especially since one of the last JumpShips to join the convoy brought a copy of the ilKhan’s declaration of a Trial of Annihilation.

Khan McEvedy remains missing and presumed dead in the aftermath of Great Hope’s destruction, but Franklin is committed to carrying out her Switchback plan – waiting until the Nicholas’ pursuit force races ahead, then following behind them unnoticed.  Hallis is fairly confident that his anti-Watch efforts have ensured operational security.

The Wolverine Exodus includes 75% of the Warrior Caste and 66% of the lower castes.  Even with the cached ships, there wasn’t room to transport everyone that wanted to go.  Supply-wise, the ships have food and water, but not enough to get back to the Inner Sphere.  Rationing has been imposed, but the fleet will need to resupply en-route.

Notes:  Two million people died in the Pentagon Civil War, leaving roughly four million at the end of KLONDIKE.  Based on Nicholas’ obsession with equality among the Clans, I think we can assume that each Clan, therefore, has about 200,000 members at this point.  With the warrior caste numbers being so small as to constitute a rounding error, the 2/3 figure suggests that Hallis managed to cram an astounding 130,000+ people onto his ships.  Based on the Strategic Operations rules, to get to the halfway mark (Bristol), the fleet needs to allot 55 tons of supplies and living space per person.  That works out to 7,150,000 tons of supplies (just food, water and air – they mention that they took industrial gear and weapons as well). 

This is possible, to be sure.  One Potemkin carrying 25 fully laden Mammoths would give you 1.3 million tons, so you just need 6 of those.  However, it’s guaranteed that the Switchback fleet isn’t using such an optimal mix of transportation – Mules and Overlords are mentioned by name in earlier sections.  I estimate that the Wolverines would need a whopping 867 Mules to carry 130,000 people and enough supplies to get to Bristol (though that number would be cut down substantially by taking the WarShips’ vast cargo holds into account).  Assuming that the fleet contains a mix of DropShip classes, the range for DropShip numbers is from 150 (if all Mammoths) to 867 (if all Mules).  If we put it somewhere in the middle, let’s call the Wolverine evacuation fleet 500 DropShips strong.  They probably would have prioritized getting the bigger JumpShips (Star Lords and Monoliths, rather than Scouts and Merchants), from the naval caches, so an average of 5 docking collars per JumpShip gives a guesstimate of 100 JumpShips, or thereabouts. 

My back-of-the-envelope guess is that roughly 1,000 ships remained in active service of the nearly 1,400 that went on the Exodus, with the rest having been destroyed, cached, or disappeared into the Dark Caste (H:OK notes that the independent spacers who successfully fled when the Clans arrived formed the basis of the Dark Caste in the Kerensky Cluster).  Given Nicholas’ obsession with equality at the outset, that would give each of the Clans 50 ships (both WarShips and JumpShips) to work with – implying that the Wolverines may have at least doubled the size of their fleet when they raided the caches.
« Last Edit: 19 May 2013, 06:18:36 by Mendrugo »
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #151 on: 19 May 2013, 23:01:16 »
----- Meanwhile, on Brim… -----

Date: November 5, 2823

Synopsis:  Wolverine Point Commander Cerina chose to remain behind as a loyalist, and now finds herself and those under her command hunted by Ghost Bears on Brim.  Other Wolverine units on Brim have been run to ground and exterminated – their attempts to surrender rebuffed.  Those remaining are in hiding, avoiding communications for fear of discovery.  Cerina’s remaining troops (a reinforced Star) are taking cover in a canyon near the Ghost Bear city of Antigua.

Cerina’s Binary had been defending the Wolverine city of Walker, one of the larger settlements of Wolverines that did not join the evacuation fleet.  (I estimate about 70,000 stayed, in total.  Of these, 10,000 died at Great Hope, and Walker was home to 20,000 – a little less than a third of the remaining Wolverines in the Kerensky Cluster)  Ghost Bears and Fire Mandrills came to secure the city and, after roughly 1,000 had escaped to board evacuation ships, some of the others threw Molotov cocktails at the Ghost Bear ‘Mechs.  Enraged, the Ghost Bears slaughtered the remaining 19,000.

Cerina’s forces retreated, punched through Fire Mandrill pickets, and then decided to try to gain revenge on the Bears by striking at their primary genetic repository and gestation center in their city of Antigua.  As a Ghost Bear patrol approaches the canyon where the Wolverines have been hiding, Cerina broadcasts her position and races away from Antigua with the Bears in hot pursuit, hoping to draw Antigua’s defenders away so her troops can move in unopposed and obliterate the repository.

Notes:  I hadn’t thought of it this way before, but the Trial of Annihilation against the Wolverines is in many ways similar to Jinjiro Kurita’s Kentares Massacre.  Both Jinjiro and Nicholas issued orders to “Kill them all.”  The Kentares stories we covered earlier showcased the psychological damage this did to those who participated, and I’m guessing there was similar damage to the psyches of the Clan warriors who carried out the killings, though to a lesser extent, since Nicholas had worked harder to paint the Wolverines as rabid villains deserving of death, and since they were fighting back as they were killed, satisfying the warriors’ battle lust.  Plus, the Wolverine civilians were simply sterilized, rather than lined up and shot/bayonetted/decapitated.

Cerina’s battlecry of “Wolverines!” appears to be a call out to the movie Red Dawn, in which the last two survivors of a guerilla band give the same cry as they make a suicidal assault on an enemy base, hoping to distract the garrison long enough for the rest of the band to escape to friendly lines.  It’s a tempting in-joke to make when writing a story about the Wolverines, though at least Pardoe refrained from having MechWarrior Logan (or Patch or Howlett or whatever his real name is this week) broadcast “I’m the best there is at what I do, but what I do isn’t very nice.”
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #152 on: 21 May 2013, 05:23:33 »
----- 6 Weeks Later -----

Date: December 18, 2823

Location: GCS Rough Rider – Grand Fleet – Deep Periphery (Zulu 11981 TZ)

Synopsis:  Aboard the Rough Rider, Nicholas Kerensky commands the pursuit fleet as it sweeps back along the Exodus Road route in pursuit of the vanished Wolverines.  The ilKhan visits the ship’s brig, which has been outfitted to hold a special prisoner that only Nicholas and a few scientists specializing in radiation sickness know about.  Nobody but Nicholas and his wife, Jennifer, know that the prisoner is actually Sarah McEvedy, who has been undergoing regular chemical interrogation as well as medical treatment for the injuries she suffered when Karrige detonated the purloined warhead at Great Hope.

Nicholas tells McEvedy he’s keeping her alive in the hopes that she’ll break under interrogation and lead him to her surviving people.  He doesn’t care about their innocence, but greatly values the fact that their defiance has united the Clans behind him against a common foe, allowing him to push through societal change even faster than he’d hoped.

In the course of pressing for information about the Wolverine route, he and McEvedy discuss the false assignation of blame for the nuclear attacks onto the Wolverines.  McEvedy argues that if she had been willing to use nuclear weapons, the Widowmaker enclaves would have been the first target, but Nicholas is deaf to her reasoning (though she does plant a seed of doubt that doesn’t bode well for the Widowmakers’ future prospects).  In Nicholas’ view, the concepts of “right” and “wrong” are irrelevant.  To him, the important thing was that McEvedy forgot to show him the respect he was due.  All human concerns must be sublimated in the name of unity of thought and action, directed by his will alone.

Notes:  This is the first time we’ve had a mention of Nicholas’ wife in the Betrayal of Ideals series.  If Jennifer Winson is, as appears the case, “Jes Cole” (aka “Jill” aka “Jess Cole” aka “Jessica Cameron”), she hasn’t featured in the fiction since the night she busted Andery out of the stockade after Aleksandr Kerensky died.  She’s noted as “beloved” and apparently is Nicholas’ primary confidante.  However, she appears content in her role as his agent provocateur, rather than making any attempts to restrain his radical societal reforms, as apparently many think Andery would have.   (Though, truly, Andery himself added a number of the Clans’ major linguistic quirks – the lack of contractions and use of “Aff” and “surkai.”)

At this point, the Clans already have the rigid caste system, trueborn technology, Trials, and slavish adherence to the will of the ilKhan.  One wonders what other reforms Nicholas is pushing through?  The idea that Trueborns are better than Freeborns?  Intentional underproduction of consumer goods to keep the civilian castes focused on survival?  Arranged marriages within each caste for procreation?  It would seem that most of those elements of modern Clan society were created and imposed during the 20 years in exile on Strana Mechty, while Andery was supposedly holding Nicholas’ leash.  (Warriors of Kerensky notes that Clan culture underwent its metamorphosis that set it apart from the Inner Sphere during the Golden Century – after Nicholas’ death – so he had nothing to do with relaxation of taboos and social mores or the formation of Crusader or Warden philosophies.)
« Last Edit: 21 May 2013, 05:25:18 by Mendrugo »

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #153 on: 21 May 2013, 06:10:59 »
I will point out that Karrige dies this year

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #154 on: 21 May 2013, 14:33:47 »
There was a quote in H:OK which inferred that Andery was the one to talk Nicholas into allowing family members to stay together as a unit when being assigned to a given Clan or caste. (Nicholas himself had been minded to split such families apart, without being in a hurry to do the same to his own of course; but Andery stayed his hand.)

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #155 on: 22 May 2013, 05:45:38 »
----- 1 Month Later -----

Date: January 16, 2824

Synopsis:  On Liny, one of Arcadia’s moons, Star Captain Amon wonders about the strange lights he’s been seeing in the rocky, airless hills on the outskirts of the Ghost Bear uranium mining outpost.  Amon is frustrated that he’s been left out of the Wolverine extermination, especially now that the Ghost Bear genetics repository on Brim has been destroyed.  He expects that any intruders on Liny would be Dark Caste bandits, but as he approaches, he see’s that they’re spacesuited Wolverine children (Sibling Company Gamma), stealing supplies from the outpost.  Amon challenges them, and they tell him they’re taking supplies back to their DropShip.

The sibko leader, Francis, rejects Amon’s attempt to arrest them, and debates the Ghost Bear about the veracity of the claims of Wolverine perfidy.  Francis admits Wolverine responsibility for the attack on Brim, but says that the warrior there was striking a blow for her people.  He tells Amon that his intention is to leave Clan space and find his vanished people.  Amon feels that killing innocent children would be a stain on his honor, and reluctantly allows the Wolverines to depart.

Notes:  It’s been three months since mushroom clouds rose over Great Hope and Dehra Dun.  One wonders what the Wolverine sibcadets have been doing in this time, how they managed to acquire transport, and how they plan to link up with the main Wolverine body again.  It’s also interesting to speculate about how many other small groups got out on their own and scattered across the Deep Periphery.  Surely some linked up with the Dark Caste in their hideouts out beyond Fasa.

We see here that the concept of the Dark Caste and bandit raids therefrom have already become established parts of Clan life.  Keeping in mind that the "Dark Caste" at this point doesn't contain any failed sibcadets or renegade Clanners - it's exclusively comprised of surviving members of Pentagon Power factions and the crews of those few spaceborne settlements that managed to get to their ships and jump away before the Clans' KLONDIKE fleets overtook them.

If bandits have been a problem on Arcadia, it's probably either the Fasa pirates, or stragglers (but stragglers with a DropShip?) from the Nation of Hastur, the Ilkasur Shogunate, the Ravisham Collective, the Confederation of Arcadia, the Democratic Republic of Rand, Helgren County, or the Kingdom of Surev. H:OK notes that these factions were adept at deep raids, so it's possible that some managed to continue operating in a hidden base for years after the official end of KLONDIKE.  H:OK confirms that non-assimilated bands wandered the wilds for years afterwards, but I have trouble envisioning such groups launching a raid on a moon, given their presumed lack of resources.
« Last Edit: 22 May 2013, 18:40:32 by Mendrugo »

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #156 on: 22 May 2013, 18:16:13 »
I reckon the Dark Caste is specifically provided with the resources it needs to exist so that it can act as a safety valve, I mean at times they seem to have factories and even jumpships

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #157 on: 23 May 2013, 05:12:15 »
----- 5 Months Later -----

Date: June 20, 2824

Synopsis:  Hallis and Trish Ebon discuss the status of the refugee fleet aboard its flagship, the SLS Michigan.  Having been elevated to Khan by McEvedy’s apparent death, Hallis decides to raise Trish to be his saKhan.  She asks about a Trial of Position, and Hallis assures her that they don’t need to follow Nicholas’ rules anymore, so he’s following McEvedy’s precedent.  For logistical purposes, Trials have been banned during the flight from the Clans.

Having found evidence that the Clans are several jumps ahead of the Wolverines (per the Switchback plan), the Wolverine flotillas are proceeding cautiously.  However, their pace is creating new problems – they’re running out of supplies.   Hallis tells Trish that he plans to split the fleet into four groups, with the largest proceeding to Gamma 1551 AV (aka Barbados) that has edible native fruits and vegetables, along with uncontaminated fresh water.  The original Exodus fleet used it as a resupply point on the way to the Pentagon worlds.  Hallis plans to land all the DropShips on Barbados to give the Wolverine civilians some time in the sun and fresh air after more than six months aboard the ships.  The other three fleets will act as scouting groups to watch for signs that Nicholas’ Grand Fleet has doubled back.

Based on analysis of the Grand Fleet’s garbage dumps, Hallis estimates that Nicholas’s battle group consists of at least twelve ships from four Clans.  He’d feared that as many as twelve Clans were involved in the pursuit, and that his fleet would be outnumbered three or four to one.

Notes:  The water shortage is puzzling, since one would think they’d have been able to track and recover comets and other spaceborne ice, melt it, purify it, and top off the reservoirs.  The Ryan Cartel certainly enjoyed great success harvesting spaceborne ice to meet colonists’ demands for fresh water all the way back during the Terran Alliance era (Of course, my thinking here is heavily influenced by the BSG episode “Water”).  Fruits and vegetables are harder to find in deep space, however.  They certainly can’t have had any fresh perishables last well into the voyage, so they’re down to the 29th century equivalent of salt beef (salt goji?) and ship’s biscuit (though vitamin supplements would probably be fairly portable, and sufficient to prevent scurvy).

Hallis’ confidence in the efficacy of the Switchback plan sounds like a disastrous gamble.  Sure, it would be nice to get out and take in some scenery, but it’s not like he has to worry about his people mutinying and trying to turn around and go back to the Clan homeworlds.  There’s nothing for them back there.  (Plus, there’s no Nicholas Kerensky aboard to covertly foment such a mutiny, in any event.)
« Last Edit: 23 May 2013, 09:02:08 by Mendrugo »

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #158 on: 23 May 2013, 06:16:13 »
Just because an abundant amount of water is somewhere out there doesn't mean it is easily obtained and used. In fact, since space is big and empty, I don't see how a fleet of (largely) combat craft could find, retrieve and possibly refine/purify water for their use. This is a refuge fleet from a refuge fleet. They're bound to be stretched extremely thin for specialized tools and may simply be lacking the proverbial can opener. Kerensky surely didn't bring ice mining ships along.
What puzzles me more is what they need the water for. I always considered it a given that SL-era ships would include sophisticated water filtration and retrieval in their life support systems so that water is re-used over and over again, with the actual "loss" being rather small. Just think of the hydroponics aboard the dirt-common Invaders. If significant amounts of water are used then I suspect it might rather be for fueling reactors and ship drives.

Btw, awesome (as in awesome) writeup Mendrugo! Have you considered putting abridged summaries up on Sarna for the BC stories you're covering?
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #159 on: 23 May 2013, 08:44:01 »
Just because an abundant amount of water is somewhere out there doesn't mean it is easily obtained and used. In fact, since space is big and empty, I don't see how a fleet of (largely) combat craft could find, retrieve and possibly refine/purify water for their use. This is a refuge fleet from a refuge fleet. They're bound to be stretched extremely thin for specialized tools and may simply be lacking the proverbial can opener. Kerensky surely didn't bring ice mining ships along.

What puzzles me more is what they need the water for. I always considered it a given that SL-era ships would include sophisticated water filtration and retrieval in their life support systems so that water is re-used over and over again, with the actual "loss" being rather small. Just think of the hydroponics aboard the dirt-common Invaders. If significant amounts of water are used then I suspect it might rather be for fueling reactors and ship drives.

The Strategic Operations book notes that shipboard recycling systems are indeed quite efficient, but that they're only designed to accommodate the amount of throughput related to the capacity of the regular quarters on the ship.  Once you start putting people into the cargo holds, the recyclers get overtaxed and you have to resort to using up consumables.  (This is why I estimated that the fleet needed to be around 100 ships, in order to carry the 50 tons of consumables per-person required to make it from the Kerensky Cluster to Barbados).

Btw, awesome (as in awesome) writeup Mendrugo! Have you considered putting abridged summaries up on Sarna for the BC stories you're covering?

If you'd be interested in hosting the summaries and/or commentaries, I'd be happy to work with you to determine the length/content of the entries that work for the site.

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #160 on: 23 May 2013, 12:58:27 »
I notice you've added a Black Lion image to your most recent view - was the SLS Michigan a Black Lion class ship?

It's more interesting than optimal, and therefore better. O0 - Weirdo

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #161 on: 23 May 2013, 15:28:22 »
The Michigan is an unspecified class of cruiser.  In my best estimation, it's probably a Black Lion, since it was described as launching a “wave of massive anti-ship missiles.”  Of the Star League-era cruisers, only the Black Lion has significant numbers of missile batteries, being able to launch a volley of ten (eight White Sharks, two Barracudas) against targets in its forward arc.
« Last Edit: 23 May 2013, 15:55:48 by Mendrugo »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #162 on: 23 May 2013, 20:24:13 »
The Michigan is an unspecified class of cruiser.  In my best estimation, it's probably a Black Lion, since it was described as launching a “wave of massive anti-ship missiles.”  Of the Star League-era cruisers, only the Black Lion has significant numbers of missile batteries, being able to launch a volley of ten (eight White Sharks, two Barracudas) against targets in its forward arc.
You know, i always believed that Old US State named ships were actually Texas Class Battleships.  52 ships made arguably same number old states of the US...least from the old TRO:2750.   

Thanks for another nice write up, Mendrugo.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #163 on: 23 May 2013, 20:32:44 »
From the Sarna article on the Texas-class these are the names used by the SL
     SLS Nebraska
    SLS Nimbus
    SLS Perth
    SLS Prinz Eugen
    SLS Wales
    SLS William Halsey

The Wolverine also had a SLS Bismark, and it wouldn't surprise me if the CSR Mountbatton is still using her original name

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #164 on: 23 May 2013, 20:39:09 »
You're most welcome.

Based on SCC's list, it does appear that being named after Terran provinces (Nebraska, Perth, Wales, Bismark) was a trend, but not necessarily a class signifier, since there's also the Prinz Eugen and William Halsey.  More to the point, the Michigan was specified as a cruiser, which puts it out of the Texas' BB class.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #165 on: 23 May 2013, 20:46:04 »
You're most welcome.

Based on SCC's list, it does appear that being named after Terran provinces (Nebraska, Perth, Wales, Bismark) was a trend, but not necessarily a class signifier, since there's also the Prinz Eugen and William Halsey.  More to the point, the Michigan was specified as a cruiser, which puts it out of the Texas' BB class.
I believe it was original intent from the old source.  Over the years, differient authors have gone differient course randomly named the ships.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #166 on: 24 May 2013, 00:25:34 »
Only seven Texas-class vessels survived to join the Exodus, and I think they're all named by now.
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #167 on: 24 May 2013, 01:18:31 »
From the Sarna article we know of 5 which served with the Clans:
Clan Coyote: CCS Ancestral Home
Clan Jade Falcon: CJF Falcon's Nest
Clan Snow Raven: CSR Mountbatton
Clan Wolf: CWS Nicholas Kerensky
Clan Wolverine: SLS Bismark

We also know of 6 which served the SL:
SLS Nebraska
SLS Nimbus
SLS Perth
SLS Prinz Eugen
SLS Wales
SLS William Halsey

Now the Prinz Eugen wasn't re-named and served as a prison ship while the Perth stayed in the Pentagon Worlds and was captured around Arcadia in KLONDIKE in part by the Star Adders, it's fate appears to be unkown

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #168 on: 24 May 2013, 02:35:18 »
Okay... so the Perth may have been renamed, and may be one of the five identified Clan vessels, or it may be the seventh Texas. But I tend to agree with Mendrugo that the description given for the Michigan doesn't seem to indicate a Texas-class vessel.

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #169 on: 24 May 2013, 02:56:39 »
There's also an unnamed Texas that was operated by Clan Smoke Jaguar and which was scuttled in the wake of SERPENT and BULLDOG according to the Twilight of the Clans scenario pack.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #170 on: 24 May 2013, 03:14:27 »
That would have to be the Perth, with the exception of the Bismark (which was taken by the Wolverines) all the other Texas' have been spotted after 3060

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #171 on: 24 May 2013, 03:17:51 »
...which rules out that the SLS Michigan could have been a Texas, as all seven surviving vessels in Kerensky's Exodus Fleet are now accounted for.
 O0
BM, I trust you'll work this into Sarna.net? Or should I do it?

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #172 on: 24 May 2013, 05:43:09 »
----- Meanwhile… -----

Date: June 20, 2824

Synopsis:  IlKhan Nicholas Kerensky is growing increasingly frustrated as months of frenzied pursuit of the Wolverines down the Exodus Road trail has revealed no trace of them.  Snow Raven Star Admiral Amanda Lankenau reports that all garbage dumps found so far have proven to be from the original Exodus fleet, when it was going the other direction. 

Nicholas knows (from his chemical-assisted interrogation of Sarah McEvedy) that the Wolverines are headed for the Inner Sphere.  He’s sure that, given the number of ships he has out looking for them, there’s no way they could have stayed completely ahead.  Equipment failures and misjumps would have left stragglers for the Grand Fleet to find by now.  Musing on the last such pursuit along the Exodus Road – the coursing of the Prinz Eugen – he hits upon the Wolverines’ true stratagem. 

He orders the Coyote, Burrock, Goliath Scorpion and Smoke Jaguar flotillas to continue down the Exodus Road as far as Wayside, then return if they’ve found nothing.  The rest of the Grand Fleet will reverse course and resume the search along the Exodus Road towards the Kerensky Cluster.  He expects to intercept the Wolverines trailing behind the Grand Fleet or, if they somehow slip past, have the Wayside flotilla catch them.

Notes:  It’s interesting that he recalls his father’s pursuit of the Prinz Eugen to have demonstrated flawless fleet-level pursuit tactics.  Based on Fall From Glory, the only reason the pursuit had any chance at all was because a “need to know” source (almost certainly “Jes Cole”) supplied Kerensky with the mutineers' full route info, so rather than having to track them down, they knew exactly where and when to intercept them, and it was just a matter of plotting a viable intercept route to “head ‘em off at the pass.”  Despite what he’s learned from his interrogation of McEvedy, Nicholas has no such inside source this time.

In any event, Nicholas is giving his father far too much credit for having “patented fleet-level pursuits.”  Both the Reunification War and Star League Civil War involved huge numbers of WarShips and major naval engagements.  I’m certain that the Reunification War-era Taurian and Canopian admirals (David Santos and Adam Buquoy) could have given ol’ Aleks lessons in conducting fleet-level pursuits and ambushes of enemy flotillas.

There are some continuity problems with the Smoke Jaguars being part of the Wayside detachment, because Khan Osis is seen later on Barbados, raging about the damage done to the Hunter’s Pride, which had been earlier described as a Jade Falcon ship.  So, either the enraged Jade Falcon Khan was misidentified as a Smoke Jaguar, or the Jade Falcons went to Wayside while the Smoke Jaguars went to Barbados.

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #173 on: 24 May 2013, 09:20:21 »
...which rules out that the SLS Michigan could have been a Texas, as all seven surviving vessels in Kerensky's Exodus Fleet are now accounted for.
 O0
BM, I trust you'll work this into Sarna.net? Or should I do it?
I'd prefer to get check over in the Ask The Writers section to make sure that the Perth was the Texas taken over by Clan Smoke Jaguar, because while it would make sense from a deductive reasoning point of view, it's not been categorically stated yet.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #174 on: 25 May 2013, 04:33:45 »
----- 1 Week Later -----

Date: June 27, 2824

Synopsis:  SaKhan Trish Ebon’s flotilla jumps in just as a Grand Fleet detachment jumps out.  Either the Wolverines are catching up to the Grand Fleet, or the Grand Fleet is doubling back.  SaKhan Ebon’s scouting group is only one jump from Barbados, where the main Wolverine fleet plans to resupply.

She orders the Saratoga to jump back to Barbados to warn Hallis (per his orders), but it experiences a drive failure.  Khan Hallis had issued standing orders to leave no ship behind, yet following that command would prevent Ebon from sending Hallis any warning.  She opts to remain, with all ships hot-charging their drives, hoping that this was just a near-miss with Grand Fleet stragglers.

Notes:  “Fall From Glory” noted that the Exodus Fleet ships had HPGs aboard, and that black box units were also issued for more covert communications.  Given the vast extent of McEvedy’s planning, one wonders why the Wolverine fleet doesn’t seem to have any means of interstellar communication.  Were all the ship-mounted HPGs disassembled and used for inter-colony communications?  I can understand the ships taken from the caches not having HPGs, but what about the Wolverines’ active WarShip fleet?  It would have seemed a tactical necessity for at least one ship in each Wolverine convoy to have an HPG, since they’d want to be able to stay in touch and be able to coordinate rendezvouses.  Perhaps HPG transmissions are detectible by ships with the proper equipment, and sending an HPG message would alert the searchers to their quarry’s location, forcing the Wolverine fleet to run silent.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #175 on: 25 May 2013, 04:38:03 »
For HPG's you need to know the exact position of you are sending to and BB transmissions can be picked up by anyone else with a BB

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #176 on: 25 May 2013, 05:25:42 »
For HPG's you need to know the exact position of you are sending to and BB transmissions can be picked up by anyone else with a BB

I don't believe that pinpoint accuracy is a strict requirement.  Being within 4 AU of the emergence point seems good enough.  So if you know what star and which jump-point (zenith or nadir) your target ship is at, you're able to send them a message.

According to Strategic Operations pp. 250-251:

HPGs famously generate an artificial jump point of microscopic
scale and send a signal through, so they can even work in planetary
gravity fields. This signal can be sent for up to fifty light-years,
depending on the HPG in question. While the “jump” involved
in sending the signal over many light-years carries with it all
the usual hyperspace issues, like I was talking about with emergence
wave detectors earlier, the actual signal is a conventional
electromagnetic signal, generally a radio frequency burst.
Think about that a second: you don’t need an HPG to receive
an HPG message. You need a radio.

While the radio signals from an arriving HPG burst can
propagate up to 4AU from the arrival point, such long-range
reception may entail considerable speed-of-light delays.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #177 on: 25 May 2013, 11:00:29 »
The affiliation prefixes for the ships are as convoluted here as anywhere else...
GCS Rough Rider presumably stands for "Grand Council Ship"?
And why are the Wolverines still using the SLS prefix?

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #178 on: 25 May 2013, 12:57:27 »
The affiliation prefixes for the ships are as convoluted here as anywhere else...
I can answer the SLS bit - according to the text, either Hallis or McEvedy (I forget which) basically says that the Wolverines are no longer Clan, they're the Star League in Exile.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #179 on: 25 May 2013, 17:00:29 »
Couldn't it be GhostBear Clan Ship?  What was Saratoga?

Register