Author Topic: Chronological BattleTech Fiction Review - The Succession Wars  (Read 486309 times)

Alex Keller

• Captain
Re: Chronological BattleTech Fiction Review - The Succession Wars
« Reply #210 on: 03 June 2013, 08:56:30 »
So if Karrige was killed by Hallis on Barbados, which Widowmaker Khan slew Nicholas?

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #211 on: 03 June 2013, 10:09:25 »
Cal Jorgensson. That's the way it's always been described.

St.George

• Lieutenant
  • there's nowhere to run
« Reply #212 on: 04 June 2013, 04:10:11 »
Unless someone wants to lay their own interpitaion down on it?
"Smoke em' if ya got em' boys,,,We're goin' in"

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #213 on: 04 June 2013, 04:35:37 »
Here's what I hate most about Betrayal of Ideals.

Before, I viewed the Wolverines as a group of Star League holdovers who really couldn't make the full jump to the new paradigm. Push came to shove and things happened with painful, disastrous results. It was a tragic, and all too human event.

As I read Betrayal of Ideals, I saw the Wolverines morphed into this pure creature that was smacked down for being too good for this world. Any bad decisions that they made in the past is either shuffled off to other clans or presented in such a way that the Wolverine's unclanlike actions are justified.

Stories like this are often hard to pull off and with all due respect to Blaine Pardoe, I don't think Betrayal of Ideals was well done.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #214 on: 04 June 2013, 05:33:48 »
 ----- 4 Months Later -----

Date: June, 2825

Title: Chains

Author: Jeff Kautz

Type: Short Story (BattleCorps)

Synopsis:  Ghost Company conducts an orbital drop onto an unspecified Lyran world.  Its members have been welded into ancient, malfunctioning ‘Mechs and the pilots themselves are brainwashed Combine criminals pumped full of ChemCourage.  The viewpoint character knows himself only as Two-three-five.  Their mission is to do as much damage as possible to the Lyrans to atone for their crimes against the Combine.  Two-three-five’s Dragon manages to smash a Trebuchet before being taken down by a Zeus.

Awakening after the battle, Two-three-five heads towards the nearest city on foot.  Speaking broken Swedenese, he’s mistaken for a drug addict and given directions to the nearest pusher.  He collapses in an alley, suffering from ChemCourage withdrawal.  He briefly recalls praying at some point in his former life.

The pusher gives him an ampule of “stim.”  When Two-three-five demands more, the pusher insists on payment.  Two-three-five, restored by the drug, kills the pusher and takes his remaining stash.  Police attempt to arrest him.  He fights, but is overwhelmed and arrested.

Doctors attempt to treat him as he lies strapped to a prison hospital gurney, hallucinating.  He bites off one of their fingers.  He next awakens in a holding cell in a police station.  He asks for water, then kills the inattentive guard and escapes with stim ampules and a pistol.

A police manhunt quickly catches up to him, and he takes a young girl hostage.  Suddenly, he has a flash of memory.  He was a member of Tyr, the underground Free Rasalhague resistance movement.  He’d been arrested on Richmond and pressed into the Combine’s Chain Gang regiments after his cell was betrayed.  In this brief moment of lucidity, he decides to charge the police and die, preventing himself from causing more damage on the Combine’s behalf.

Notes:  The Chain Gang missions sent three regiments of ‘Mechs piloted by convicts, Unproductives, and misfit officers.  They apparently ranged from lance to company sized elements, and were dropped from orbit and abandoned by their transports.  Even though most were quickly wiped out, or even just surrendered after landing, those that perservered and punched through to their targets set back FedSuns and LyrCom reconstruction efforts by months.

The identity of Ghost Company’s target is never given in the story.  Two-three-five notes that he forgot its name if he ever knew it.  German is spoken widely, but since this is the Lyran Commonwealth, that doesn’t really narrow it down.  However, one of the police doctors attempts to speak Swedenese to him, which, to me, implies that they’re pretty close to the border with the Rasalhague Military District.   The Steiner SB confirms that Chain Gang teams dropped onto “worlds all along the Commonwealth border.”  Confirmed targets of Chain Gang raids are Maestu (one company - Chain Gang 23), Udibi (two lances from the Unproductive Regiment) and Scheat (a company from the Unproductive Regiment…darned odd, that, since the DCMS conquered Scheat in the 1st Succession War and held it as of 2822, per the map in Handbook: House Davion). 

Looking at Lyran border worlds with particularly German-sounding names: Weingarten doesn’t work because it lacks strategic resources or important defense industries, and wouldn’t have been a target of a Chain Gang raid; Altenmarkt is having an ice age, which doesn’t fit this narrative; Memmingen has mines, agriculture and a refinery; Thannhausen is prone to heavy thunderstorms and has major industrial complexes in Finton and Greech.  Both Memmingen and Thannhausen are plausible, but since rain is repeatedly mentioned in the story, and the industrial complexes would make appropriate targets for the Chain Gang mission, my bet would be on Thannhausen. 

The ChemCourage has an interesting effect – driving its recipients into a killing frenzy.  The House Kurita SB describes it as “a favorite Kurita battle stimulant.”  The use of automated injectors seems to have been a one-off experiment.  In the House Kurita sourcebook, Lt. Hevly Gomes (commanding Chain Gang 23 on Maestu) tells his men to inject their ChemCourage as they try to punch through Lyran lines to destroy a water purification plant.  They’re wiped out two minutes and thirteen seconds later.  With results like that (and the total failure of Ghost Company), it’s no surprise that ChemCourage doesn’t show up as a common battlefield enhancement drug in the A Time of War tables.  Since the ChemCourage in “Chains” made its long-term users psychotic and lost efficacy over time, Chain Gang 23 probably was taking it for the first time on that mission, to ensure maximum potency.  The Steiner SB describes the ChemCourage as “battledrug pills,” as opposed to the injected form seen here.

It’s interesting to see Tyr as an active organization in 2825.  The Atlas of the 4th Succession War notes that the modern Tyr organization was formed in early 3026 as an underground movement that engineered demonstrations, strikes and assassinations of Combine officials.  However, Heir to the Dragon shows an active “Free Rasalhague Underground” meeting in 3019, of which Duke Ricol is a member.  A Guide to Covert Operations notes that “secret organizations were constantly springing up, each one devoted to freeing the Principality from the claws of the Dragon.  The ISF was able to stamp out many of these groups, but those that used the “cell” system remained frustratingly resistant to stamping.  Those that survived the attentions of the ISF began to contact each other, forming a shaky alliance that became known as Tyr.  The freedom movement was initially too fragmeted and disorganized to be very effective.  Indeed petty jealousies saw more than one cell betrayed to Kurita by another.”
« Last Edit: 04 June 2013, 09:56:37 by Mendrugo »
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #215 on: 04 June 2013, 16:00:42 »
Here's what I hate most about Betrayal of Ideals.

Before, I viewed the Wolverines as a group of Star League holdovers who really couldn't make the full jump to the new paradigm. Push came to shove and things happened with painful, disastrous results. It was a tragic, and all too human event.

As I read Betrayal of Ideals, I saw the Wolverines morphed into this pure creature that was smacked down for being too good for this world. Any bad decisions that they made in the past is either shuffled off to other clans or presented in such a way that the Wolverine's unclanlike actions are justified.

Stories like this are often hard to pull off and with all due respect to Blaine Pardoe, I don't think Betrayal of Ideals was well done.

I agree that the Wolverines seemed overly restrained.  As I wrote earlier, had Malvina been running the show, the Kerensky Cluster would be about on the level of the Chainlane Isles today.  I still can't see how Hallis justified not using his nukes in the naval battle of Barbados.  Per the Ares Conventions, that's the only time when such weapons are permitted, and smashing a WarShip star with them would have given the Wolverine fleet a better chance of escaping like the Zughoffer Weir.

It seems to me, though, that the Wolverine code of chivalry was accurately portrayed as a major hindrance to their survival.  Even when Trish Ebon was given "anything goes" orders on Circe, she still adhered to Clan honor dueling rules.  (The prohibition against ganging up dates from the Widowmaker Absorption).  Hallis, given a "fight with everything you have or die" choice, opted to eschew his WMDs.  There's a reason the Wolverines lasted only 25 years while the Capellans lasted more than 800 facing superior enemy forces - the CCAF isn't hesitant to use every dirty trick in the book to survive.
« Last Edit: 22 June 2013, 09:03:40 by Mendrugo »
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #216 on: 05 June 2013, 02:31:08 »
----- 1 Month Later -----

Date: June 29, 2825

Title: Echoes of Disgrace

Author: Steven Mohan, Jr.

Synopsis:  Former Tai-i Junshi Ukawa (last seen attempting to spare civilians on Kentares IV in 2796) has spent the intervening 29 years imprisoned in ISF custody, in The House of the Absent Sun.  He currently shares a cell with a small girl (in her early teens, he thinks), and suffers from night terrors.  When a woman enters his cell and offers him a freedom and a chance to once more serve the Dragon by leading an assault on the world of Scheat, he wonders if his long captivity has finally driven him mad.  The little girl warns Ukawa that it’s a bad idea, but both he and the woman ignore her.

Notes:  Ukawa is, of course, correct in his assumption that he’s gone mad.  The young girl is a hallucination inspired by the memory of the girl who died trying to save her brother on Kentares IV.

The fact that the DCMS wants Ukawa to target Scheat is unusual.  The 2822 map in Handbook: House Davion shows that the Combine took Scheat during the First Succession War and retained control once hostilities wound down at the end of 2821.  For the DCMS to be sending a Chain Gang raid against the world implies that they lost it again sometime between 2822 and 2825.  Either there was a briefly successful local uprising reinforced by AFFS troops, or the Feddies invaded during the brief 2823-2824 window.

Combine prisons are often quite colorfully named.  Examples include “The House of the Absent Sun,” “The Black Tower,” “The Lotus Flower Correctional Institution,” “The Castle of Unheard Screams,” and “Pain Mountain.”
« Last Edit: 05 June 2013, 02:42:51 by Mendrugo »

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #217 on: 05 June 2013, 22:51:32 »
----- 2 Weeks Later -----

Date: July 15, 2825

Synopsis:  Unkawa meets the rest of his Chain Gang detachment and leads them in a simulator training run.  Their mission is to destroy the major economic centers of Scheat.  They are told that if resistance is light, they will serve as a vanguard for a follow-up force.  If they meet heavy resistance, they are expected to do as much damage as possible to make a future invasion easier.

Ukawa primarily knows his lancemates by their crimes.  “War Profiteer,” “Drug Mule,” and “Dereliction of Duty.”  Trekking through the mountains towards their first (simulated) target – mines near Valloire, they’re ambushed by a 7th Crucis Lancers company headed by a Highlander.  War Profiteer’s Hunchback goes down quickly, and the Highlander puts a gauss rifle round through the cockpit of Ukawa’s Thug.

Reviewing the scenario afterwards, they discuss the plausibility of being ambushed during the real operation.  War Profiteer expects Scheat, a backwater world, to be barely defended.  They question the presence of the 7th Crucis Lancers, which was shattered in the First Succession War.  When Ukawa says he fought them before, Dereliction of Duty realizes that he’s a Kentares IV veteran.

Notes:  It appears that SLDF-surplus equipment is still pretty common at this point.  Ukawa’s lance includes a Thug and a Champion, while the simulated lancers are led by a Highlander.  My guess would be that the 7CL was used as the OpFor because the ISF knew about Ukawa’s history on Kentares and wanted to add a sadistic twist.

Ukawa’s group of criminals are getting better treatment (soft beds, good food) than Ghost Company’s unfortunate troops, who were brainwashed, tattooed with numbers on their foreheads, and used as guinea pigs by Combine scientists.  One would assume that they were all Tyr cell-members, and that such revolutionaries would be singled out for the worst treatment.

Scheat’s status as a “backwater” is questionable, since it’s right on the FedSuns/Combine border.  From a variety of sources:

“A world of heavy rainfall, rich soil, and basic metals, Scheat became an industrialized world soon after the first colonists made planetfall. Lumber and common raw metals such as aluminum and iron made up the bulk of the planetary economy, with textiles forming a supplemental export. Only moderately successful in comparison to neighboring systems, very little made this world stand out in the early years of human expansion into the galaxy. Many cities arose on the primary temperate continents of Kohl and Warschen, centered on the local timber industries and mining establishments, while agricultural settlements developed along the winding rivers that connected many of these cities.

The planetary capital and primary spaceport lie in the foothills of Kohl, while most of Scheat's industries are located on Warschen. The large, lake-riddled equatorial continent of Rhodes is Scheat's only other major landmass, and it is home to the industrial city of Valorie, where Valorie Metals, Unlimited, Scheat's largest mining concern, is headquartered. Valorie lies at the foot of Mt. Eisenberg, and offers spectacular views of alpine meadows and evergreen forests. VMU's mining operations on Eisenberg extract and refine rich deposits of uranium.

The most popular sporting event on the planet is the fast-paced Scheat Hover Derby, where hovercar drivers race at reckless death-defying speeds.”
« Last Edit: 06 June 2013, 08:43:12 by Mendrugo »

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #218 on: 07 June 2013, 04:08:52 »

Date: July 28, 2825

Synopsis:  The DCS Dragon’s Flame carries Ukawa’s team towards Scheat.  Ukawa reviews his Thug, which has seen better days.  The ferroglass over the canopy is cracked.  The left arm PPC is nonfunctional, and the right arm PPC stutters and generates more heat than usual.  Dereliction comments that it’s a death trap, and says that their task is impossible.  She (correctly) expects to be abandoned on Scheat, allowing the Combine to hurt its enemies and get rid of criminals at the same time.  Ukawa concurs, but actually appreciates the plan’s elegance.

Notes:  Back in 2787, getting a Thug was considered a great honor, but after nearly 40 years of hard use, the equipment seized from SLDF defectors who foolishly believed Combine promises of wealth and glory has been ridden hard and put away wet.  With Panthers being a dime a dozen in the Combine, it would seemingly be easy to fix the Thug’s guns, and ferroglass couldn’t have yet been too LosTech-y. 

Honestly, given the combat protocols demonstrated previously by the DCMS, I’m surprised that the Combine used such ineffectual tactics.  If they’d really wanted to maximize damage while getting rid of undesirables, kamikaze aerospace fighters would have been far more effective.  Slap the troops in Reunification War-vintage Sabres and give them all fuel-air explosives (used by DEST on Hesperus II waaaay back during the Age of War).  Of course, perhaps piloting an ASF is harder than running a ‘Mech, but strapping a fuel-air explosive or nuclear warhead to each ‘Mech’s back (like “Atomic Annie” in the The Third Battle of New Avalon) would have had much the same effect.  One account says that Combine DropShips remained on station long enough to ascertain the suicide squad’s efficacy, so they could have rigged remote detonators and blown each mook at the most opportune moment.
« Last Edit: 08 June 2013, 05:14:43 by Mendrugo »

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #219 on: 08 June 2013, 05:10:29 »
----- 1 Week Later -----

Date: August 3, 2825

Synopsis:  Ukawa leads his forces against targets on Scheat.  Rather than launching a direct attack on the heavily defended uranium refinery, he directs his troops to strike at the mine itself.  Charging past a mountain lake, they destroy a Davion Sentinel and then engage a Mongoose.  As they try to corner the light ‘Mech, a Crockett emerges from the lake, revealing that the Chain Gang has walked into an ambush.  As Ukawa tries to rally his motley crew, a huge dump truck barrels out of the mine entrance and runs his Thug down.

Ukawa comes to with his hallucinatory little girl telling him to wake up.  The Second Ceti Hussars have taken apart his command lance and successfully defended the mine.  A Davion Guillotine walks past, and Ukawa levers his Thug back to its feet and charges the FedRat 'Mech, wrestling it into the lake, where both ‘Mechs sink into the frigid waters.  Ukawa feels he’s been washed clean of his disgrace, dying as a warrior in honorable battle.

Notes:  Interestingly, no mention is made of ChemCourage, which was apparently standard procedure for Chain Gang troops.  There seem to have been very loose protocols for the various Chain Gang missions, from non-standard force designations, variant treatment of the suicide troops.  The House Davion SB tells the tale of the “Talon Sergeant and the Prostitute” where Chain Gang 23’s handlers gave them an “anything goes” period during the insertion, allowing love to bloom.  My guess is that the tattooed, brainwashed members of Ghost Company didn’t get that luxury.

I’m not entirely sure I follow Ukawa’s reasoning, there at the end.  He wanted to fight the hated FedRats in glorious combat on Kentares IV, and felt disgraced that he was relegated to executing unarmed, passive civilians.  By failing to carry out even this disgraceful duty, he became a traitor to the Combine.  Now, by attacking a Davion ‘Mech and taking it with him into death, he feels he can atone for both his failure to the Dragon (I can see that) and for having murdered little girls (not sure I see how this connects).  I suppose it’s all in how he sees himself – through this action, he defines himself as a warrior once again, rather than a murderer.  Of course, a lucid course of reasoning might be too much to ask at this point, since he’s spent 29 years in ISF custody and is hallucinating on a regular basis.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #220 on: 08 June 2013, 23:01:20 »
----- 8 Years Later -----

Date: May 14, 2833

Title: Conquer the Kremlin!

Author: Eric Salzman

Type: Scenario (BattleCorps)

Synopsis:  General H. R. “Howler” Greer leads AFFS forces in an assault against the High Kremlin, a Castle Brian-class fortress that serves as the lynchpin of Capellan defenses on Tikonov.  Previous sieges have been repulsed, but Greer is back with heavier ‘Mechs and new knowledge about a secret back door into the Kremlin.

Seismic surveys have identified an access tunnel that runs from the Castle network to an outpost called Firebase Molotov.  Greer’s plan is to distract the defenders by launching a major assault against the main Castle, while he leads an elite combined arms force to take the firebase and gain access to the tunnels.  He’s confident that his technicans can disable the tunnel’s security systems and blast open the door to infiltrate the Castle without tipping off the Capellan garrison.

The operation is a smashing success, and an entire Ceti Hussars combat command manages to get inside the Castle.  By May 16, organized resistance within the Castle has ceased, and fewer than 30% of the CCAF forces inside manage to evacuate via other tunnels.  Prince Paul Davion had promised Greer a promotion to Field Marshal if he took Tikonov, and Greer can already feel the baton in his grasp.

Notes:  The header incorrectly identifies the venue as the “Grand Kremlin” rather than the “High Kremlin” (“High Kremlin” is used correctly throughout the rest of the scenario).  I most likely used “Grand” by mistake because of its usage in the old “Tikonov Grand Republic” that was one of the founding Capellan member states.

I’d originally intended the Firebase Molotov garrison to field two prototype Vindicators (those mentioned in the TRO:3025 entry as having machine guns on the left arms instead of the small laser), since they debuted in 2826 and the TRO entry says that they were first fielded in 2832 on Tikonov, appearing extensively in the Chesterton Reserves formations.  However, since no official record sheet had ever been made for the VND-1X Vindicator (with the machine guns), they were nixed and replaced by a Blackjack and a Clint.

The Vedettes on the Liao side may be anachronisms.  The TROs don’t give an intro date, but the MUL indicates that the Vedette debuted in the latter half of the 2900s.  Based on the RAT in Era Report 2750, an era-and-faction-and-weight-appropriate replacement would be the 50-ton KRV-3 Korvin (rare in 2750, since production stopped in the 2600s, but still around and plausibly assigned to Home Guard units like the one at Firebase Molotov).  The swap substantially improves the Capellan side, since the Korvin has equal speed, better long range firepower (LRM-10 vs. AC/5), more anti-infantry capability (2 MGs vs. 1), a stronger main gun (Large Laser vs. AC/5), and better armor all around.

Greer’s objective is to get one demolitions team and one electronics team into the hardened bunker that guards the tunnel entrance.  While the firebase maps show two entrances, only one is accessible, since you’re not supposed to use the half-hexes at the map edge to move through.  (I realzed later that a better setup would have been a 3x4 layout, or at least a 3x2, allowing Greer’s forces the flexibility to assault both entrances simultaneously.) 

Playtesting showed that Greer’s best strategy is to hang back at PPC/LRM range and blast the turrets around the entrance to scrap, then concentrate long-range fire on the walls to open up breach points, allowing access to the base interior without having to force the fixed defenses at the main entrance.  However, they can’t spend too much time doing that, because they have a turn 10 deadline for maximum points.  Putting one of each team (one electronic, one demolition) on each of two Heavy Hover APCs avoids putting all eggs in one basket and gives Greer two shots at success.  Once the entrance is cleared, the APCs must shoot in at maximum speed and then crash into the target bunker to get their troops inside.  Unloading the troops outside the bunker and having them walk in proved to be a disaster – not only did the teams get slaughtered by Capellan forces in the fire phase following disembarkation, but they lacked armored support once they got into the bunker.  Crashing into the bunker (assuming the Heavy APC doesn’t take a fatal crit from the impact) shields the specialist teams from outside fire and gives them an edge in clearing out the Capellan platoon inside.

Charging the Capellan walls for a close-range fight proved to be a losing strategy.  The walls are thick, and while the Davion ‘Mechs tried to blast through, the Capellan ‘Mechs poured a murderous volume of laser fire down on them.  Making an approach is especially problematic because the Capellans have ten minefields.  Fortunately, the hover APCs can pass right over the conventional minefields.  Greer has a pair of Thumper artillery pieces, and their best use would be to hit targets along a path towards the main entrance, detonating any minefields in the way.

The optimal Capellan strategy would be to have their long-ranged units up on the wall, taking pot shots at the APCs in the hopes of getting a lucky hit.  The rest of the forces should make a wall of steel around the bunker to prevent the APCs from ramming their way inside.  All they have to do is stall Greer long enough (turn 15) for the High Kremlin to be alerted, so that either reinforcements can be sent, or at least the tunnel can be secured.

It’s clear at this point that the privations of the 1st Succession War are having an effect.  One of the turrets is non-functional, having been stripped for parts, and merely dressed up to look active.  This was probably due to the damage done when Greer attacked the first time, but demonstrates that the CCAF is aready having issues replacing battlefield losses (even for such mundane things as LRM-10s, AC/10s, and PPCs).  The first draft had gauss rifles in the turrets (to make them super-scary prime targets), but it was nixed on the grounds that it was unlikely that the CCAF would waste such powerful LosTech weapons in fixed defenses around a minor outpost.

The House Davion SB tells how Greer’s ambitions played out.  He earned great glory by taking the High Kremlin, but was stymied by the defenses around Tikograd long enough for CCAF reinforcements to arrive.  For his failure, Greer was denied his coveted promotion to Field Marshal and ended up slinging hash in the officers’ mess on New Syrtis for a year.
« Last Edit: 08 June 2013, 23:06:01 by Mendrugo »

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #221 on: 09 June 2013, 23:03:45 »
----- 5 Years Later -----

Date: July 1, 2838 [See Notes]

Title: The Steel Tip

Authors: Cory Glaberson, L. Ross Babcock III, Kevin Stein & Tara Gallagher

Type: Scenario (BattleForce)

Synopsis:  The 7th Crucis Lancers are on a mission to tear through the planetary defenses on the Liao-held world of New Dallas with the goal of penetrating deep into the Capellan rear area before the CCAF can summon reinforcements from elsewhere onworld.  Attempting to stop them are elements of Hamilton’s Highlanders (of the Chesterton Reserves).

The Lancers get 350 points to purchase Regular ‘Mech and air forces, and can spend up to 36 points to allow a maximum of six ‘Mechs to drop from orbit.  The Highlanders have only 150 points to spend on the defending forces, plus another 100 points of off-board reinforcements (which arrive as soon as the Capellan player rolls an 11 or 12, checking once per turn).  However, this force imbalance is compensated by giving the Highlanders 100 points of landmines and five units of hidden infantry.  The Highlanders also have two hardened buildings, which can shelter infantry.

The Lancers’ goal is to move as many ground units as possible off the defenders’ home edge of the map, while the Highlanders’ goal is to destroy as many Lancer units as possible.  The Lancers can also retreat units off their home edge, but gain no point bonuses.

Notes:  The scenario, which appears in the original BattleForce rulebook, is undated, so my date of July 1, 2838 is pure guesswork.  However, New Dallas is a former Terran Hegemony world that was, per H:LoT2, captured by House Marik after the Star League Civil War, nuked into submission, and then abandoned.  This scenario says it’s a Liao world under attack by the Federated Suns. 

I initially chalked this scenario up as a complete canonical impossibility – attributable to this being one of the very early scenarios, and to New Dallas not having appeared on any maps until recently (with references to the not-then-mapped New Dallas in the same category as early references to House Liao’s battles against House Kurita on the then-equally-invisible world of Lincoln). 

However, scouring various sourcebooks for any possible scenario in which Davion troops would be attacking a Liao holding in (ostensibly) Marik space, I was amazed to actually find such a reference.  The original House Marik sourcebook says that ComStar interdicted the Free Worlds League from May 2837 to November 2838 after the League destroyed the HPG station on Oriente, allowing CCAF troops to come pouring over the border, retaking lost worlds and attacking League holdings.  The Marik SB notes that the carnage would have been worse, if not for Davion and Kuritan troops also getting involved (“attracted like sharks to blood in the water”), leading to four separate Houses fighting each other in the interdicted Free Worlds League.  Thus, we actually could have Davion troops hitting Liao staging bases on New Dallas during the 2nd Succession War interdiction of the FWL.

I put it at July 2838 because it would take a while for Liao troops to penetrate that far and for Davion troops to get the transports together to take advantage of Marik weakness on the other side of Capellan territory, but it could plausibly be at any point in 2838.  (New Dallas has been described as being completely abandoned by the start of the Second Succession War due to the collapse of the world's terraforming infrastructure in the wake of the FWL's nuclear assault on the planet in the First Succession War – so not a high invasion priority.  The Liao presence on the world is probably just a supply depot/staging ground for futher incursions against more valuable League worlds)

In terms of strategy, the Lancers could optimize their force mix by spending their points on cheap fast light units (Spiders would be ideal…UrbanMechs not so much).  Since the Davion score is dependent on how many of their ground troops get across the finish line, numbers matter more than firepower.  That being said, the Lancers will have to maneuver carefully to avoid the Capellan defenders as much as possible, since such recon elements won’t stand up to much punishment, and they reward the Capellans with extra bonus points for each one killed.  Nonetheless, speed is key, since the Lancers want to be through Capellan lines and gone before the Capellans roll an 11 or 12 to summon reinforcements.  The Davion player should pay attention to the score balance.  Once he/she gets ahead of the Liao point total, there’s a good case to be made for pulling back to the home edge and declaring victory on points (particularly once the Liao reinforcements hit the board), rather than risking a come-from-behind Liao victory by providing the opportunity for the Capellans to rack up more points through kills. 

Air units could be helpful either in keeping CCAF air units off the Davion ground forces or clearing chokepoints on the ground, but AFFS planes can't score points and can be liabilities (pointwise) if shot down.  On the whole, I'd recommend deploying (at most) a pair of heavy fighters, tasked with trying to knock out as many Liao fighters as possible (the heavy fighters would be less likely to be shot down and give the Liao side more points).

The Highlanders will need to deploy a mobile defense force.  They’ve got a 28-hex long line to cover against a mobile force three times their size.  They need to get superior firepower on enemy forces in order to smash them and get kills.  Since the Highlanders’ forces aren’t restricted by unit type, I’d strongly recommend putting as much as possible into air units, which have the speed to swoop in, smash a Lancers’ force concentration, then race across the map to hit the next one.  The minefields and infantry can be used at the map’s natural chokepoints to deny the Lancers the speediest routes, and while they’re either trying to go around or bull through, the Capellan air forces can come in for another strafing run.

(Speaking of New Dallas, we'll cover the details of its Star League and early Succession War battles, chronicled in Historical Turning Points: New Dallas, in the appropriate threads once the six-week moratorium expires around June 20.)
« Last Edit: 11 June 2013, 19:37:59 by Mendrugo »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #222 on: 10 June 2013, 06:54:35 »
So odds are this is likely not canon?  I think your suggestion it being a staging base for Liaos during the Marik's war with ComStar seems plasuable give that Liao trying gain or hold on to as many worlds as possible.  Having the Highlanders there, is odd, but they had like 4 regiments at the time?  Its interesting lost gem of a scenario, i don't have Battleforce source book so i wasn't aware of it.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #223 on: 10 June 2013, 13:33:23 »
So odds are this is likely not canon?  I think your suggestion it being a staging base for Liaos during the Marik's war with ComStar seems plasuable give that Liao trying gain or hold on to as many worlds as possible.  Having the Highlanders there, is odd, but they had like 4 regiments at the time?  Its interesting lost gem of a scenario, i don't have Battleforce source book so i wasn't aware of it.

I initially assumed it could not be canon, but if it takes place during ComStar's interdiction against the Free Worlds League during the 2nd Succession War, then it could work.  Per the Marik SB, Davion, Kurita and Liao forces all made opportunistic assaults into League space during the interdiction and ended up fighting each other, much as happened during the free-for-all in the ruins of the Terran Hegemony a generation earlier.  (The Kuritans are no strangers to heavy incursions into FWL space, having gone as deep as Helm in the First Succession War, and the Davions once took a crack at Hesperus II, so the distances involved are within each state's capacity.)

Since the Mariks ruined and stripped the world during the First Succession War, and it's canonically depopulated by 2830, there'd be no reason for any faction to be there except to use it as a covert staging base (unhindered by the presence of any nosy/insurgent-minded locals) for campaigns against neighboring worlds.

Hamilton's Highlanders aren't part of the Northwind Highlanders - they're a unit of the Chesterton Reserves.  We have no hard data on how large the Chesterton Reserves were in the 2nd Succession War, though we may get some basis for comparison when Field Report 2750 - CCAF comes out. With the FWL running blind, I'm sure a large number of CCAF units were pulled off garrison duty and thrown into the League to take advantage of an unprecedented strategic opportunity with an unknown shelf life.
« Last Edit: 10 June 2013, 13:35:51 by Mendrugo »

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #224 on: 11 June 2013, 04:00:38 »
----- 1 Year Later -----

Date: December 3, 2839 – January 10, 2840

Title: Betrayal of Ideals – Asunder

Author: Blaine Lee Pardoe

Synopsis:  Khan Hans Jorgensson of the Ghost Bears furiously interrogates Scientist Parker about his troubling findings.  It seems that former Wolverine Scientist Vaun was adopted into the Ghost Bears and became a leading expert in the Bear genetic manipulation program.  He successfully inserted Wolverine genetics into the Ghost Bear gene pool, “contaminating” two generations of Warriors.  Per Nicholas’ edict of Annihilation, all Warriors who bear Wolverine genes must die, and with Nicholas’ death, there is nobody with the authority to contravene such orders.  Jorgensson resolves to carry out the law.

Thirty-eight days later, the “contaminated” Warriors are assembled before Khan Jorgensson at the Pennes Sibling Center on Arcadia in full parade dress.  He solemnly informs them that they come from genetic material contaminated by the Not-Named Clan – either as a Ghost Bear-Wolverine mix or as pure Wolverines.  He tells them that they must die, and that they have the choice of suicide or painless lethal injections.  If they run, they must be hunted and killed.

First one sibcadet, then dozens more, draw their sidearms and shoot themselves in the head.  Within a minute, all lie dead to honor the posthumous wishes of Great Father Nicholas Kerensky.  Jorgensson feels sorrow, but thinks mostly of the strategic weakness caused by the loss of Warriors, the need to maintain a low profile while rebuilding, how to orchestrate the coverup to keep this out of the Clan’s Remembrance, and how to exact revenge should any of the Wolverines who escaped ever be found.

Notes:  It’s strange that Jorgensson says that there’s nobody available to consult with for this unexpected contingency, with Nicholas having died five years earlier.  Era Digest: Golden Century notes that Jerome Winson became ilKhan in November 2834 and served through 2851.  Was Winson seen as only a caretaker ilKhan, without the authority to implement new policies or rule on interpretation of Nicholas’ edicts?  Historical: Operation KLONDIKE describes Winson as “smart and adaptable, applying calculated and measured responses to any situation,” so he seems like exactly the kind of person you would want to bring such a quandary before.  There may have been an issue of reduced capacity (he committed suicide in 2851 when he felt he could no longer carry out the duties of ilKhan), but in 2839, he would have been just 84 years old – still in his prime, relative to the average Star League-era life expectancy of 108.

Perhaps Jorgensson has personal qualms about bringing this issue before ilKhan Winson because of Winson’s role in the death of Hans’ brother Cal Jorgensson, the last Khan of Clan Widowmaker.  (H:OK notes that Clans Ghost Bear and Widowmaker were strong allies prior to the Absorption of the Widowmakers by Winson’s Wolves).  Nonetheless, his quick decision to take such an extreme action seems out of character for a person described in H:OK as characterized by “patience and caution.”

Jorgensson’s worries about how the other Clans will react to the Ghost Bears’ loss of over a hundred Warriors and cadets seems cold, but keep in mind that this takes place only a few years after the Widowmaker Absorption.  With that recent precedent in mind (especially since the Widowmakers were the Bears’ only ally), Jorgensson may have been perfectly justified in his fears that other Clans, hungry to replicate the Wolves’ success, would seek to exploit any perceived weakness. 

Nicholas’ influence is clearly strongly felt, even after his death.  Followers of the Clan Way think nothing of dying in the name of genetic purity, honor, and slavish adherence to Nicholas’ vision.  In addition, it is apparently standard procedure to heavily redact historical accounts to cover up scandal and cast the authors in the best possible light.  No wonder many of the sourcebook reports on the Clans were filled with inaccuracies.  Anastasius Focht (Clan Wolf, Clan Jade Falcon, and Invading Clans sourcebooks) and Phelan Kell’s (The Clans: Warriors of Kerensky) efforts to piece together a comprehensive picture of Clan history from the various editions of The Remembrance were akin to a modern researcher trying to tease an accurate history of Ancient Greece out of the Iliad.

Given the apparent Waco-style revenge oath against Wolverine survivors held by the Ghost Bears, one wonders just why it was the Steel Vipers who dispatched hunter-killer teams to track down possible Wolverine descendants in Bloodright rather than the Bears.
« Last Edit: 11 June 2013, 04:05:40 by Mendrugo »

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #225 on: 11 June 2013, 06:08:04 »
I haven't read the original story (btw, I can't find it in BattleShop - can you provide a link?) so I'm going by your summary here.

I got the impression that Hans Jorgensson's feeling that nobody can repudiate Nicholas' annihilation edict is not tied to somebody holding the rank of IlKhan; rather, Nicholas already seems to be elevated beyond ilKhan to something resembling a saint or prophet - nobody, not even another ilKhan, can counter The Great Father's edict. This is supported by the willingness of the warriors to shoot themselves because of a diffuse order by a man who's been dead for years.

Talk about mad sect leaders...
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #226 on: 11 June 2013, 09:59:59 »
This is why I postulated that Winson was seen as a "caretaker" ilKhan - there just to see to the implementation of Nicholas' vision, rather than coming up with any new concepts or policies.  It's telling, though, that the Ghost Bears were so afraid of being tainted by association (and thus opening themselves up to a potential new round of reaving) that they took care of it internally in a brutal fashion rather than going to the ilKhan for a ruling.  As we see in the Wars of Reaving, once you start wiping out other Clans wholesale (the Wolverines and Widowmakers having vanished in rapid succession), it becomes a habit.

It looks like only the first part of "Betrayal of Ideals" was ever posted to the BattleShop:

Foundations of Fate:  http://www.battlecorps.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1787

I can still see all four parts in my download list, since I was a subscriber when they came out, but parts 2-4 don't appear in the BattleShop for purchase by people who weren't subscribers at that time.  Might be worth posting a note to the BattleCorps admins about the omission.

And for Wrangler, if you're interested in BattleForce, there's a PDF rulebook bundle (BF1 and BF2) for $5 here:  http://www.battlecorps.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2500

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #227 on: 11 June 2013, 10:17:45 »
It was the Steel Vipers who got the honor because  a member of the Steel Viper star slew a Hallis relation on Tukayyid. In the scenario pack, there's adjustments that can be made for any member of any clan present at Tukayyid.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #228 on: 11 June 2013, 19:37:13 »
And for Wrangler, if you're interested in BattleForce, there's a PDF rulebook bundle (BF1 and BF2) for $5 here:  http://www.battlecorps.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2500
Thanks Mendrugo!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #229 on: 11 June 2013, 23:08:01 »
----- 1 Year Later -----

Date: July 6, 2841

Title: A Tale of Mercy in Defeat

Author: Chris Hussey

Synopsis:  At Camp Brotherhood on York, Star Colonel Tiberius (formerly the Sheriff of Helgren County on Arcadia) disciplines sibcadet Uri following a training exercise in which Uri failed to cease fire when commanded, seriously (probably fatally) injuring Oviatt, a fellow sibcadet.  Uri gives the standard Clan response that Oviatt was weak, and that inferior opponents deserve no mercy.  Tiberius disagrees, and tells Uri the story of how he became part of Clan Blood Spirit to illustrate his point. 

Following the tale, Uri expresses astonishment that Tiberius intentionally lost his Trial against the Blood Spirits in order to, in losing, win acceptance for the soldiers and citizens of Helgren County into the more lenient administration of the Spirits.  By showing mercy to the inferior Blood Spirit warrior, Zoltan Osborne, he spared his people from the Steel Vipers’ vengeance.  Tiberius reminds Uri that the Blood Spirits thereby gained resources and skilled warriors, allowing the Blood Spirit warriors to combine deadly skill with a spirit of mercy.

Tiberius shows Uri a holographic postcard from the Inner Sphere, and tells the sibcadet that it is the Clans’ destiny to return.  He warns Uri that if Nicholas’ Clans stay away from the rest of humanity too long, they will lose a sense of who they are, were, and were meant to be by ilKhan Nicholas.

Notes:  The scene on York is intended as a framing mechanism for a flashback to the Operation KLONDIKE battles between the Helgren County forces and Clans Steel Viper and Blood Spirit.  It’s interesting that Uri is granted the title of MechWarrior while apparently still a cadet going through training exercises.  In the Jade Falcon training program, centuries later, Falcon sibcadets don’t get that title until they earn it in their Trial of Position. 

Tiberius’ warning that the Clans will change character and risk losing their humanity if they remain cut off from the Inner Sphere is fairly prophetic.  The Blood Spirits’ ilChi program of having goodwill ambassadors to other Clans is already foundering, and they face constant opportunistic raids by Burrock and Mongoose forces.  It appears that Tiberius’ advocacy of a path of mercy did not last, either.  Era Digest: Golden Century states “The Blood Spirits developed their warriors harshly, even by Clan standards,” implying that Uri’s training exercise philosophy of “kick ‘em when they’re down” eventually became the Blood Spirit motto.  The success of the Helgren warriors adopted into the Blood Spirit touman may be the reason why the Blood Spirits are relatively more accepting of freeborn warriors than most Clans.

Era Digest: Golden Century notes that “Clan Blood Spirit, constantly harassed by raids, withdrew from Clan society almost completely, which pulled their Clan closer together. ”  The raids are probably well under way by this time, since Clan Burrock unsuccessfully called for the Blood Spirits’ Annihilation in 2824 after the Spirits expressed sympathy for the Wolverines, beginning a long-running feud. 
« Last Edit: 12 June 2013, 09:40:26 by Mendrugo »

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #230 on: 12 June 2013, 23:37:07 »
----- 6 Months Later -----

Date: December 29, 2841

Title: Darkest Hour

Author: Randall N. Bills

Type: Scenario (Northwind Highlanders)

Synopsis:  As Prince Paul Davion’s marathon 2nd Succession War offensive continues, the Davion Assault Guards smash the Northwind Highlanders’ garrison (the Third Kearny Highlanders and Stuart’s Highlanders) on their homeworld of Northwind and drive the remnants into a twisted canyon.

In the canyon, the command lances of the Davion Assault guards and the 33rd Avalon Hussars try to corral the remaining Highlanders.  There are only 12 Davion ‘Mechs against 16 Highlanders, but the average Davion weight is 78 tons, against the Highlanders’ average of 48.  Skill levels are pretty much equal: the Davion gunnery averages 3.42 against the Highlanders’ 3.44.  The Davions also have two Corsairs for strafing runs. 

The engagement is fought in blowing sand conditions, which adds a +1 penalty to all ballistic weapon TNs and +2 for all other weapons.  There’s no time limit.  Each Highlander unit killed scores 5 points for the Davions, while the Highlanders score 7 points for each Davion unit destroyed.  High score wins.

Historically, the AFFS annihilated the two Highlander regiments garrisoning their homeworld and claimed the planet for the Federated Suns.  The Highlanders became exiles until the 4th Succession War, when they switched sides and returned home.

Notes:  There are a few anachronisms in the rosters, based on introduction dates from the MUL.

Highlanders
Griffin 1S (2857) -> Griffin 1N (both instances)
Quickdraw 5A (3002) -> Quickdraw 4G
Hermes II 4K (3025) -> Hermes II 2S

AFFS
BattleMaster 1D (2867) -> BattleMaster 1G
Thunderbolt 5SS (2930) -> Thunderbolt 5S
Awesome 8V (2980) -> Awesome 8T
Rifleman 4D (3021) -> Rifleman 3N
Hunchback 4P (2937) -> Hunchback 4H or 4G

This is an extremely interesting scenario from a tactical standpoint.  The heavy Davion forces have to slowly advance through rough terrain with no viable cover towards a level 2 ridge behind which is a twisting canyon where four lances of Highlanders are sheltering.  Long range sniping is going to be pretty inaccurate due to the sandstorm, so the Davion forces have to close with the lighter Highlanders to take them down.  The Corsairs are vital to be able to hit the Highlanders – with luck they can strafe the bunched up Highlanders in the confined canyon and lower their mobility with leg damage, as well as forcing them to break up.

The Davion force's best bet is to stick close together, ensuring that any Highlander that gets within firing range gets a torrent of heavy firepower concentrated on their position.  If the Davions spread out, there’s a strong risk that the Highlanders could use their superior mobility to swarm over any isolated units and destroy them, while remaining screened from the main force by rocky outcroppings.

The Highlanders, on the other hand, need to stick together and move rapidly to keep screened from the Davion forces.  The Highlanders have substantial LRM batteries, so they can put a spotter somewhere safe and keep dropping LRMs on the incoming slow-movers to weaken them.  When the Corsairs show up, firepower should be concentrated on them in hopes of limiting them to a single strafing run before they go down in flames.  Once the Assault Guards get to the ridgeline, the Highlanders should play keep-away, preventing the Guards’ ‘Mechs from getting a direct shot at them.  As the Guards try to close, they may get spread out, and any that get isolated should be swarmed on, in hopes of whittling their numbers down with massed firepower.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #231 on: 13 June 2013, 23:03:30 »
----- 5 Years Later -----

Date: June 2, 2846

Title: End of Days

Author: Ken' Horner

Synopsis:  Barahona is an outlying world of the Outworlds Alliance that has been hit by repeated pirate raids for water, food and parts.  With Alpheratz apparently unwilling or unable to send help, the Barahonians have cobbled together a militia to engage the pirates and drive them off. 

The locals manage to successfully defeat the pirates, and use the salvage to found their own planetary guard as they declared independence from the Outworlds Alliance.  Many of the worlds in the OA’s outer reaches seceded during this period.  Barahona was part of the Trader’s Domain, which was centered on Wynn’s Roost.

Notes:  The Barahonian Vedette is an anachronism, since that tank didn’t debut until 2943, per the MUL.  A T-12 Tiger medium tank (55 tons) would be the most appropriate replacement, since it is featured as a common unit on the Historical: Reunificiation War RAT for the Outworlds Alliance, so there would probably still be some lying around in backwaters like Barahona.  The Tiger has roughly equivalent armor to the Vedette, but sacrifices speed in favor of improved firepower.  (AC/10 vs. AC/5, backed by an SRM-4 and three MGs compared to just one MG for the Vedette)

The 2822 map in H:LoT2 shows that Barahona was still in the OA at that time, but that many neighboring worlds (Taumaturgo, Bossangoa, Las Tunas, False Dawn, Ourem, Salvende, etc.) had already dropped off the map, leaving Barahona as an outlying border post.

The only way for the Barahonians to score points is to destroy pirate ‘Mechs.  The pirates get some points for hitting Barahonian troops, but also get points (a maximum of 8) for getting themselves off their home edge and back to their DropShip.  The pirates have a huge mobility advantage, with a 5/8/5 Firebee and the rest moving 6/9/6.  The militia Quasits are 5/8, the DemolitionMech, Buffel, and Lumberjacks are 3/5 and have no long-range weaponry.

The key issue in the scenario is the Dromedary-class water transports, which move only 2/3.  If the pirates are willing to abandon their water and flee empty-handed, they can easily win a Marginal Defender Victory on points by just bugging out immediately and leaving their Dromedary transports to be destroyed.  While it’s tempting to try to run for it, the setup forces ground units to move down a narrow road off the plateau, making it very easy for the militia to block egress. 

If the pirates want to try for a stronger victory, they should park the Dromedaries as far west as possible, and then try to engage the militia and destroy them in detail, opening the way for the transports to withdraw.  The four pirates should focus first on the Quasits, Scorpion, and Tiger (replacing the Vedette), sticking together, moving at max speed, and concentrating their firepower.  Once those are dealt with, the remaining militia forces will be easy pickings – lacking the mobility and range to close with the pirates, so the pirates can just stand off and murder them beyond the militia’s effective range.

The Militia’s chances rely on the Cormorant.  If they put the infantry platoons on the 5/8 WiGE transport, they may be able to swiftly deposit the infantry wherever the Dromedaries are located, letting them smash the transports and deny the pirates their prize.  The remaining militia forces should clump together – they have no chance of running the pirates down, so they just need to stick together so they can mass firepower on any pirate foolish enough to strike at them.  Even if the pirates win a “Marginal Victory” by retreating to their DropShips, the Barahonians can take pride in having prevented their theft of the water and taken only minimal casualties.  If the pirates come gunning for them, the Barahonians just have to hope they can get lucky and take a few out, evening the odds.
« Last Edit: 17 December 2013, 09:35:26 by Mendrugo »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #232 on: 14 June 2013, 20:03:26 »
Was End of Days from independent scenario or was it from old source book?

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #233 on: 14 June 2013, 20:20:04 »
Was End of Days from independent scenario or was it from old source book?

It was a stand alone scenario released as a PDF on BattleCorps.  I just added links to the BattleShop profiles in the master index.

http://www.battlecorps.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2508

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #234 on: 14 June 2013, 20:22:41 »
It was a stand alone scenario released as a PDF on BattleCorps.  I just added links to the BattleShop profiles in the master index.

http://www.battlecorps.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2508
Alas i am unable to see it due to my non-member status..verse money.  Thank you for the link though!

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #235 on: 15 June 2013, 05:45:18 »
----- 7 Years Later -----

Date: October 25, 2853

Title: Tactics of Desperation

Author: Nicholas Marsala

Synopsis:  This is an AeroSpace-rules scenario, pitting the last remnants of the Draconis Combine Admiralty’s WarShip fleet against the LCS Invincible, the last remaining Lyran WarShip.  The Invincible is backed by 8 squadrons of aerospace fighters (52 in total) and six DropShips.  The Draconis Combine Admiralty has the Samarkand-class DCS Galedon II, the Vigilant-class DCS Wyrm, and the Baron-class DCS Yedo.  The Combine blockade group has 15 fighter squadrons (90 craft), 8 DropShips and an Olympus-class recharge station.

In addition to destroying the enemy fleets, a key point-based goal is having control of the recharge station.  For capturing it, several of the DropShips are equipped with marines and small craft for conducting boarding operations.

Notes:  The Invincible weighs in at 900,000 tons and has between 130 and 145 armor on each facing.  It can kick out over 100 damage from each forward and broadside firing arc, though its three aft arcs are about 30% weaker than the rest.  It has a thrust of 3/5.  By comparison, the 4/6 Samarkand (Block II) has 70-90 armor on each facing and weapon batteries in the 6-25 point range, preventing it from effectively going toe-to-toe with the Invincible.   The 2/3 Baron isn’t much more impressive, with 25-31 armor on each facing and average battery strength of 20, while the 3/5 Vigilant has a laughable 13-16 armor per facing and batteries in the 10 point range.

The optimal strategy for the Invincible is to have its fighters and DropShips concentrate on keeping the Combine fighter swarms busy while it bulls in and drops anvils on the pride of the Combine Admiralty – which it should be easily capable of reducing to scrap in a single volley.  The Combine WarShips should do whatever they can to stay away from the Invincible while putting fire on its escort DropShips, which are more suited to their capabilities.  Meanwhile, all 90 fighters should make a beeline for the Invincible and work on pecking away at its weak aft quarter, hoping to punch through and cripple or destroy the ship.

If you’re trying to win on points, killing fighters should be a primary task.  For the Combine player, wiping out a mere two aerospace fighters is worth as much as destroying the Invincible itself (and much easier, to boot).  Focus on killing enemy fighter swarms first and foremost, and then, once the other side’s fighters have been cleared from the board, bring your remaining fighters to bear on the behemoths.  Regrettably for the DCA, the Tharkad-class doesn’t suffer from inadequate fighter-defense like many of its Star League contemporaries, and can kick out over 100 points of anti-fighter damage from its aft and side arcs.  For fighters, the best bet is to punch it in the nose, which has only 3 large lasers and 6 medium lasers for fighter defense, with no supporting batteries in the fore-side arcs.

The historical outcome was to be expected – the Invincible smashed through the shocked Combine flotilla with ease, then set course for Hesperus II, where Combine forces were pressing the Lyran garrison hard at the very gates of the factory.  However, the Galedon II did manage to recover a few fighter squadrons and jump to a pirate point near Hesperus II, where the rest of the Combine fleet was waiting.  TRO:3057(R) notes that the DCS Yedo was vaporized by the Invincible, rendering the Baron-class extinct.
« Last Edit: 18 June 2013, 13:33:07 by Mendrugo »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #236 on: 15 June 2013, 14:41:04 »
Cool!  I always wondered what details of the Naval Battle was, DCS Galedon II must have destroyed later since the ship named wasn't listed as the last survivor.   I'm confused why entire WarShip fleet wasn't wiped out since the Tharkad's background as well as the older fluff had said entire fleet was wiped out. DCS Galedon II escaping changes that, doesn't it?

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #237 on: 15 June 2013, 17:02:47 »
It's a two-part scenario, so there's still more carnage to come.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #238 on: 15 June 2013, 23:38:18 »

Date: November 10, 2853

Title: Tactics of Desperation II

Author: Nicholas Marsala

Synopsis:  With the fall of the Nadir blockade fleet, the commander of the DCA forces in the Hesperus system recalled the Zenith blockade fleet to regroup with the orbital control group and face the Invincible and its escorts together.

Despite their success at the Nadir point, the Lyrans took losses, and bring only 26 of the original 52 fighters and 4 of the original 6 DropShips.  However, they’ve been reinforced by a Transport Flotilla, consisting of 11 DropShips (ranging from Overlord to Mule) and 16 fighters.  On the Combine side, the Galedon II has only 16 of its original 72 fighters, and two of its 8 original DropShips with another two fighters.  They’re joined by the Zenith blockade fleet (the Vigilant-class DCS Pacheco and the Bonaventure-class DCS Tamura and DCS Georgia, with 18 fighters) and the Planetary Blockade fleet (8 DropShips and 28 fighters).  This gives the Lyrans 18 fighters, 15 DropShips and the Invincible, opposing 64 fighters, 10 DropShips and 4 WarShips.

Notes:  As we’ve seen, Vigilants are pretty weak, and the addition of Bonaventures doesn’t add much to the Combine’s firepower – just 2 in each arc and 17-21 armor.  As before, there’s only a remote chance of the Dracs taking out the Invincible, but it’s entirely possible to win on points by aggressively targeting enemy DropShips and fighters, which are highly vulnerable to Combine armament.  Taking out a single fighter is worth 4 points, compared to 6 points for taking out the Invincible.  The Lyrans need to put the DropShips to maximum thrust and race for the atmosphere interface and focus on shooting down Combine DropShips and fighters. 

If the Combine really, really wants to take out the Invincible, the best bet would be to try to ram it.  However, that’s still a difficult proposition – not only does the ramming ship have to make a mental fortitude check (MY LIFE FOR THE DRAGON!!!) of 11-12 on 2d6, but then it has to successfully ram.  Since a single volley from the Invincible would be sufficient to gut most of the Combine battlewagons from stem to stern long before they get within ramming range, the chance of surviving to hit the Invincible would be fairly low.  Perhaps a fighter squadron might be able to pull off a successful Tyra Miraborg-style ramming attack, but that would definitely be a waste, since each fighter is worth 2/3 of the points from killing the Invincible.

Historically, the LCS Invincible smashed all four Combine ships, all but eliminating the Combine's WarShip fleet (later TROs mention one or two drifting in mothballs but not in active service).  Once it had orbital control, it rained down fire on the Combine's ground forces, which had advanced to the very gates of Defiance Industries.  Once the siege had been lifted, the ship jumped for home, but never arrived.  Its fate remained a mystery for centuries, until it reappeared at the vanguard of a Word of Blake invasion fleet assaulting Tharkad.
« Last Edit: 16 June 2013, 06:54:03 by Mendrugo »

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #239 on: 16 June 2013, 06:42:51 »
It's interesting that the remaining ships of the Combine fleet at this point were a single home-produced Samarkand and a handful of Terran Hegemony ships sold off as obsolete and surplus hulls in the 25th century.

It's more interesting than optimal, and therefore better. O0 - Weirdo

Register