Author Topic: Chronological BattleTech Fiction Review - The Succession Wars  (Read 488071 times)

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Re: Chronological BattleTech Fiction Review - The Succession Wars
« Reply #240 on: 16 June 2013, 06:48:48 »
It's interesting that the remaining ships of the Combine fleet at this point were a single home-produced Samarkand and a handful of Terran Hegemony ships sold off as obsolete and surplus hulls in the 25th century.

They lost over 100 ships at the massive Battle of Cholame in the 1st Succession War, which pretty much gutted the Draconis Combine Admiralty.  The Capellans lost their main fleet to an FWL ambush in the 1st Succession War, and the FWL and Commonwealth had their own Cholame-equivalent battle over Hesperus II.  There wasn't much left of anyone's WarShip fleet by the time the 2nd Succession War got rolling.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #241 on: 16 June 2013, 06:51:11 »
I'd love to see lists of names and classes for those battles...

Any word on what happened to the bulk of the Federated Suns fleet? I'm guessing the small fleets the Periphery nations built up prior to the Periphery Uprising ended up getting destroyed prior to the SLDF withdrawing.

It's more interesting than optimal, and therefore better. O0 - Weirdo

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #242 on: 16 June 2013, 07:44:11 »
I'd love to see lists of names and classes for those battles...

Any word on what happened to the bulk of the Federated Suns fleet? I'm guessing the small fleets the Periphery nations built up prior to the Periphery Uprising ended up getting destroyed prior to the SLDF withdrawing.

The Federated Suns fleet was on the other end of the Cholame fracas, and they also lost more than 100 ships, including their flagship.  Cholame, by itself, pretty much ended the Federated Suns and Draconis Combine as naval powers.

We've got no data on what happened to the Periphery fleets, except for the lone TDF ship that hid out in a nebula for centuries.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #243 on: 16 June 2013, 10:29:14 »
The Federated Suns fleet was on the other end of the Cholame fracas, and they also lost more than 100 ships, including their flagship.  Cholame, by itself, pretty much ended the Federated Suns and Draconis Combine as naval powers.

We've got no data on what happened to the Periphery fleets, except for the lone TDF ship that hid out in a nebula for centuries.
They must had some sort of encounter.  After the reunification war, Taurians had 9 WarShips in its fleet, while the MoC had 2 and OWA had none.

I know from doing extensive research in original Periphery book(s) both editions that there was some kind of dust up between the MoC & Taurians over something.  However those were more regimental raids for some reason. I'd be more incline that rogue Succession State ships randomly raided the Periphery States.  WarShips are fantasticly efficent, under old AT2 (and Revised) rules in cleaning the decks and wiping each other pretty throughly unless player/faction has lick of sense pull heck out.  I'm not sure if Total Warfare series rules change much of their effectiveness in those regards aside from the expanded use of ECM.  I've not seen in print effecting combat as of yet.  Biggest (least noticed) WarShip combat was when Free Worlds Fleet attack each other after WoB's gasing of Atheus.
« Last Edit: 16 June 2013, 10:36:52 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #244 on: 16 June 2013, 10:36:03 »
After the Reunification War, the Periphery States were more or less disarmed. After the Star League fell, Pirates with Nukes hit the Periphery. It seems that the TCS Vandenberg was the only ship the Taurians got away with hiding.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #245 on: 16 June 2013, 10:37:52 »
After the Reunification War, the Periphery States were more or less disarmed. After the Star League fell, Pirates with Nukes hit the Periphery. It seems that the TCS Vandenberg was the only ship the Taurians got away with hiding.
Noticed that TCS Vandenberg didn't appear the Jihad when Taurians were taking out their nukes?  They had get WoB provide them with a missile touting Frigate.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #246 on: 16 June 2013, 11:43:06 »
According to Historical: Liberation of Terra, Volume I, p. 50, these were the fleet strengths of the Periphery states at the start of the 2765 Uprising:

MoC: 22 (up from 9 in 2750)
OA: 15 (up from 4 in 2750)
TC: 31 (up from 15 in 2750)
RWR: 300+ (up from 48 in 2750)

P. 51 says that the Secret Army had no WarShips, so all these fleets (except the RWR's) were built in the open, and were known to the SLDF as part of the regular territorial state militaries.

The one page summaries of the Periphery Uprising actions in HLoT1 only cover losses amongst ground forces, and fleet actions aren't mentioned. 

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #247 on: 16 June 2013, 12:21:59 »
According to Historical: Liberation of Terra, Volume I, p. 50, these were the fleet strengths of the Periphery states at the start of the 2765 Uprising:

MoC: 22 (up from 9 in 2750)
OA: 15 (up from 4 in 2750)
TC: 31 (up from 15 in 2750)
RWR: 300+ (up from 48 in 2750)

P. 51 says that the Secret Army had no WarShips, so all these fleets (except the RWR's) were built in the open, and were known to the SLDF as part of the regular territorial state militaries.

The one page summaries of the Periphery Uprising actions in HLoT1 only cover losses amongst ground forces, and fleet actions aren't mentioned.
They could have retroconned Secret Army having WarShips off.  I point to the SLS Star Devil (Congress Class Frigate/WarShip) encounter with three "renegade" Taurian Lola II Class Destroyers.   Pentagon Class Assault DropShip fluff as well, includes this encounter with Taurian nationals controlling WarShips.  Then you have the Dart Class Light Cruiser, from TRO:3057R where again seperatist are controling ancient disarmed example fighting SLS Gettysburg (Essex Class Destroyer (Modern))

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #248 on: 16 June 2013, 18:48:31 »
I'm hoping that Historical: Early Succession Wars might take a leaf from Historical: Reunification War, when it comes to showcasing some of the more prominent naval actions of the First Succession War (such as those at Cholame and Hesperus II).

If there's any known upcoming volume in which the opportunity exists to give large-scale WarShip combat a proper place in the spotlight, that volume would surely be it.
« Last Edit: 16 June 2013, 18:51:02 by Nerroth »

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #249 on: 16 June 2013, 20:24:52 »
I'm hoping that Historical: Early Succession Wars might take a leaf from Historical: Reunification War, when it comes to showcasing some of the more prominent naval actions of the First Succession War (such as those at Cholame and Hesperus II).

If there's any known upcoming volume in which the opportunity exists to give large-scale WarShip combat a proper place in the spotlight, that volume would surely be it.

+1

Definitely a must buy if something like this gets made. I have only partially dabbled in Aerotech but I have always loved naval combat and the Cholame and Hesperus II fights seem very, very interesting to me.
« Last Edit: 17 June 2013, 00:17:51 by FedSunsBorn »
Made by HikageMaru

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #250 on: 16 June 2013, 20:35:04 »
+1

Definitely a must buy if something like this gets made. I have only partially dabble in Aerotech but I have always loved naval combat and the Cholame and Hesperus II fights seem very, very interesting to me.

Actually, if it helped make WarShip combat more accessable, either location might make for a good inclusion in a future Alpha Strike expansion, should one incorporate some of the space-based options for BattleForce (or, as Weirdo calls them, BattleFace) in StratOps.
« Last Edit: 16 June 2013, 20:37:27 by Nerroth »

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #251 on: 16 June 2013, 23:13:29 »
----- 7 Months Later -----

Date: June 13, 2854

Title: Changes, They are the Times

Author: Ken’ Horner & Herbert A. Beas II

Type: Sourcebook Fiction (Era Digest: Golden Century)

Synopsis:  Star Captain Anja Halstead of Clan Cloud Cobra leads Venom Command (one star of her Binary, while her XO runs Coil Command) in the defense of the Cobra mining town of Roenich on Babylon against a Clan Coyote force.  She receives a report from a solahma scouting unit that the Coyotes are fielding new designs mounting new technology.

Mounting defense in broken terrain to slow the Coyote advance, Halstead is stunned to see highly maneuverable Coyote units jumping across the rough landscape with no difficulty and handily outmaneuvering her forces, since her scouts reported that the ‘Mechs they faced weren’t jump capable.  She’s further taken aback by the fact that some of the Coyote machines have weapons loadouts different from what her scout forces reported just hours earlier.  She sees her binary begin to drop like flies and wonders if the Coyotes will ever lose a battle with such technologies.

Notes:  This engagement was the field test for the very first OmniMech, and demonstrated the flexibility of the technology – showing that not only weapons packages but even jump jets could be quickly swapped in or out.  It’s not as though the Cloud Cobras are fielding antiquated equipment, either, since Halstead is running a Great Wyrm (a 2844 Clan Mongoose design) and her force includes Horned Owls (2835).  However, the Coyotls run rings around them.  The TRO entry for the Great Wyrm notes that the formerly popular design was relegated to solahma use once OmniMechs appeared.

This also showcases how the Coyotes became the dominant Clan in the Golden Century, with a slew of technological advances that allowed them to greatly expand their holdings and their prestige.  Their alliance with Clan Wolf couldn’t have hurt, either.  It wasn’t until Trials of Possession had spread their technological advances throughout the rest of the Clans that their dominance began to fade, and relentless Trials from other Clans pushed them down into a greatly weakend role by the time Operation REVIVAL was launched.
« Last Edit: 17 June 2013, 06:15:09 by Mendrugo »

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #252 on: 17 June 2013, 23:01:41 »
----- 9 Years Later -----

Date: October 30, 2863 [See Notes]

Title: Pearl’s Ghost

Author: Randall N. Bills

Type: Short Story (BattleCorps)

Synopsis:  A 3067-dated Loki report reports having obtained the original copy of a leaflet being circulated by Free Skye activists in the Lyran Alliance.  Analysis of the original letter accompanying the leaflet indicates it was made on Kannon during the early Third Succession War.

The leaflet itself (written in a particularly jagged gothic font) decries the Lyran Archon, protests about high taxes and endless wars, and goes on to claim that the renowned Lyran war hero Angela Franks, in her day, also hated the Steiner Archon.  It attaches what purports to be an original page from Angela Franks’ personal journal, which appears to have been written on the morning of her final battle.

In the journal entry, Franks notes that she misses her home on Kannon, where she grew up, and the carefree days of her childhood.  She muses that she joined the LCAF to make a difference, and viewed her service as “one more show for the fans.”  She says that she became disillusioned with the disconnect between Archon Elizabeth Steiner’s righteous speeches about defending the Commonwealth and the brutal reality of killing and death on the battlefield.  She’s furious that she’s been used by the high command to recruit millions of other Lyran youths to feed into the meatgrinder.

She says that she’s coughing up blood from ulcers due to her angst, and plans to die in battle against the Combine today.  She hopes that her death (in front of the cameras) will destabilize Elizabeth Steiner’s war effort.

Notes:  The date of the journal entry is “Tuesday, 2865” which is only slightly more useful than “The Mesozoic Era, Around Teatime” in terms of concretely placing the date.  The Steiner SB notes that the Stealths ran into trouble on Sakhalin “in October of that year” when they came up against a Kuritan Assault battalion and took roughly 50% casualties before managing to extract, and were subsequently disbanded.  That would put the events as “Tuesday, October 2865.”  The only problem is that “that year” is given in the Steiner SB as 2863, two years earlier, calling the journal’s authenticity into question.  If we go with the House Steiner account as canon (which I prefer, because otherwise the LCAF assault on Sakhalin would take place during the brief interval of "peace" between the Second and Third Succession Wars), then “Tuesday” becomes either the 2nd, 9th, 16th, 23rd, or 30th.  The 30th would be suitably near Halloween for me, given the "ghost story" nature of her tale, so I’ll go with that.

This went up about a month after BattleCorps went live, and was presented as an experiment in merging fiction with a sourcebook-style section, and an embedded link asked readers for feedback.  There were a few pages of comments – “Who is the Black Pearl?” “I hope to hear more about the Black Pearl in the future!” “We couldn’t read the font.” “Love the concept, and the execution.” “Big fan of the format.” “I liked the immersion factor.” “Too mysterious.” etc.  Overall, the feedback was overwhelmingly positive, but the format was never repeated.

Kannon is mentioned just once, in passing, in the original Steiner SB, as one of the worlds threatened by the Combine at the outset of the Third Succession War (in 2866).  LCAF high command decided not to reinforce it and instead ordered the troops already onworld to hold as long as possible, then retreat and abandon the world to the Combine.  Handbook: House Steiner adds that it was rendered uninhabitable by the subsequent Combine attacks, and the administrative capital for the former Kannonshire was relocated to Yed Posterior (making the district…Posteriorshire?)

Sakhalin fell to the Combine in 2860, and the LCAF sent the Stealths and two heavy regiments (3rd Donegal Guards and one other) to retake it in 2863.  In October 2863, the Stealths took 50% casualties when they ran into a Kuritan assault battalion, and the Stealths were permanently retired.  This chronology certainly calls the veracity of the letter into question, since it’s dated two years after the Stealths were disbanded.  Either Franks put the wrong date on her own journal entry, ComStar Precentor Gerald Steiner-Nelson got the date wrong in his Steiner SB account, or the letter is a careless Free Skye forgery.  My guess is “forgery” since the 3067 Loki report notes some irregularities in the ink used - plus the fact that the paper was made in the early Third Succession War, when Franks died late in the Second Succession War.  In addition, it’s essentially a suicide note, and yet she doesn’t once mention her child(ren?) or spouse – just wistfully pines for her father and lost childhood.  (We know she had at least one child since one of her descendants was the Commandant of the Royal New Capetown Military Academy in 3025.)

In the May 2013 BattleChat, Line Director Herbert A. Beas II confirmed that the “Black Pearl’s Journal” was a Free Skye forgery, characterizing it as “pure propaganda.”  Why would Free Skye have wanted to create such a forgery in 3067?  Given the pervasive respect shown towards Franks throughout Lyran society (Kommandant-Generals in the LCAF have a Black Pearl named for her on their “Second Steiner Cross” and the 10-pfennig coin bears her face), an authentic-looking missive from such a renowned/beloved source expressing anti-Archon/anti-Steiner leanings might undercut Archon Peter Steiner-Davion’s support and lead to a renaissance of popular support for the Free Skye movement.  Furthermore, Kannon was once a provincial capital of the Federation of Skye, and a reminder of Elizabeth Steiner’s decision to abandon it to Combine predations would potentially reopen old wounds for Skye patriots.

According to the House Steiner SB, Angela Franks was a beautiful holostar who also commanded a battalion of the Stealths and was Colonel Winfield’s XO.  She was born on Kannon to a family from Donegal and earned the title of “Black Pearl” as a teen actress.  She raised war bonds and became a cadet at Sanglamore in 2853.  She clamed a Kuritan BattleMaster in combat and took command of the Stealths’ heavy battalion.  During a brutal fight on Sakhalin, she anchored the rear-guard and smashed numerous Kuritan ‘Mechs.  During the fighting, her cockpit was destroyed.  Nonetheless, when a Kuritan Warhammer approached to inspect the wreckage, the BattleMaster’s lasers fired again, killing the Kuritan battalion commander.  This was captured by a Lyran news crew, giving rise to legends of “The Ghost of the Black Pearl.”

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #253 on: 18 June 2013, 09:36:49 »
So short-story version from Battlecorp was infact deemed a propaganda piece?  Was this due to it being not on the mark canon wise, or deliberate throw people off.

Its a kool idea taking elements of the original House Books and making stories out of them.  They always had some serious interesting content there.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #254 on: 18 June 2013, 09:45:23 »
So short-story version from Battlecorp was infact deemed a propaganda piece?  Was this due to it being not on the mark canon wise, or deliberate throw people off.

Its a kool idea taking elements of the original House Books and making stories out of them.  They always had some serious interesting content there.

According to Herb, it was always intended as a propaganda piece.  At the time it was put out, the Loki report on the leaflet left its veracity ambiguous, noting that the paper was old and from her homeworld, but that tests on the ink gave anomalous results.  Looking into it myself, though, the anachronisms signaled to me that it was a Free Skye forgery, and Herb confirmed it in a BattleChat.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #255 on: 18 June 2013, 09:48:30 »
According to Herb, it was always intended as a propaganda piece.  At the time it was put out, the Loki report on the leaflet left its veracity ambiguous, noting that the paper was old and from her homeworld, but that tests on the ink gave anomalous results.  Looking into it myself, though, the anachronisms signaled to me that it was a Free Skye forgery, and Herb confirmed it in a BattleChat.
I think that's (from my understanding) first stand-alone short stories that was deliberately pure canon-propaganda story published. No spitting part of it true exactly it was based on something that was omni-view true canon facts.

Most stories if someone read them, would be assumed that it was real event or real deal.  I'm not crazy for that to happen unless it was slightly made clear it wasn't THE-Truth verses in-universe lies.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #256 on: 18 June 2013, 09:58:48 »
Generally, prose fiction is considered to be canon truth (except in rare cases with an unreliable narrator, such as the Drac chain gang commander who is having hallucinations of a young girl), while sourcebook entries are third-party accounts that reflect the in-universe author's biases and limited viewpoint, and thus may be proven wrong by subsequent reports or fiction.  Pearl's Ghost is, in that sense, a sourcebook entry, rather than a non-canon piece of prose fiction.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #257 on: 18 June 2013, 22:58:39 »
----- 5 Years Later -----

Date: July 9, 2868

Title: Lead Rainmakers

Author: Ken' Horner

Type: Scenario (BattleCorps)

Synopsis:  Wyatt, last visited in “A Soldier’s Privilege” when it went over to the Lyrans, is once again coveted by the Free Worlds League.  The Twelfth Marik Militia and Sixth Lyran Regulars are battling for control of Napier County, and League artillery is threatening to tip the balance and break the stalemate in favor of House Marik.

The Lyran goal is to break through the defending forces and silence the Marik artillery, getting 10 points for each piece destroyed.  The Marik goal is to fire as many offboard shots as possible before being overrun.

Historically, the engagement was indecisive, and both units beat each other into submission while the stalemate continued.  The Lyrans eventually held the world, but Thaddeus Marik II would be back in 2947 with Operation KILLING STROKE, and again in 2991.  However, the Lyrans manage to hold onto Wyatt throughout the entirety of the Succession Wars, making it a Theater command center.  One wonders if House Roark retained its holdings there for that duration as well.

Notes:  The choice for the Marik commander is between lobbing shells at the attacking Lyran company in support of their own defenders, or firing at more distant Lyran troop concentrations for points.  To me, it’s a no-brainer.  Close-in artillery shots are notoriously inaccurate, so they’d likely only have a minimal impact, whereas if all four artillery pieces fire five shots each, they’ll have scored enough points to neutralize the bonus the Lyrans get for destroying them.

The Lyran Regulars company averages 67.5 tons with an average gunnery of 3.75, while the Marik Militia company averages 59.6 tons with an average gunnery of 3.67 (not counting the artillery).  The Marik forces (including the artillery lance) has to set up in the middle of a 2x2 map layout, while the Lyrans enter from the east side, having to cross the width of one mapsheet to get to the artillery. 

The optimal Marik strategy would be to frantically back the artillery towards the western edge (well, as “frantically” as the Cruise 2 Mobile Long Toms can back, anyways), firing as they go to score points, while the Marik Militia company masses to block the Lyran advance.  A lance or so of fast-movers (the Hermes IIs, Cicada, and Phoenix Hawks) should act as a screening force to intercept Lyran penetration attempts (watch out for the Firestarter, Commando, Griffin and Charger in particular), while the rest pour fire into the main body, making a key target of anything with LRMs (which, unfortunately, is just about everything) or any unit attempting to seize high ground to be a spotter.  If you can get at least 20 shots off from your four pieces, then anything beyond that puts you in positive territory. 

The optimal Lyran strategy would be to go for broke and race for the Marik lines trying to break through above all else.  If you can get your opponent to agree to the optional Sprinting rules, go for it.  Failing that, group your fastest units together (the aforementioned Firestarter, Commando, etc.) and send them at maximum speed to high ground where, hopefully, you can use them as spotters while your missile boats (Catapult, Whitworth, Archer, Cyclops, Zeus) paste the artillery pieces with indirect LRM fire.  If you can take them out early, you’ll be at a substantial points advantage and can then focus on trading kills with the main body of the Marik Militia, or, if you’re far enough ahead, just withdraw and take your win.
« Last Edit: 17 December 2013, 09:36:21 by Mendrugo »

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #258 on: 22 June 2013, 06:41:43 »
Sorry for being late to the party here, but why did the DCMS throw those 'Mechs away in Chain Gang?

And I thought the Invincible was THE last WarShip when it was lost, nobody else had anything?

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #259 on: 22 June 2013, 08:23:41 »
Sorry for being late to the party here, but why did the DCMS throw those 'Mechs away in Chain Gang?

That remains an enduring mystery.  Such an action makes no sense in the resource-starved setting of the Third Succession War, but on the eve of the Second Succession War, with reconstruction efforts underway, the Combine may have seen its damaged 'Mechs as expendable, along with their dishonored pilots, in hopes of slowing its enemies' recovery efforts, leaving its regular forces in a strong position when the Second Succession War got rolling.  As I noted in my writeup, if the Chain Gang troops were truly suicide units intended to wreak havoc, it would have been far more effective to rig them with WMDs and have them remotely detonated by the control ship instead of relying on them succeeding with conventional combat tactics in wrecked 'Mechs.  Chalk it up to lack of long-range planning by Combine high command.

And I thought the Invincible was THE last WarShip when it was lost, nobody else had anything?

The LCS Invincible was the last Lyran WarShip when it vanished.  The Draconis Combine Admiralty still had the Samarkand-class DCS Togura, a museum piece in orbit around New Samarkand.  The DCA might also have had up to two captured Robinson-class transports, since those were said to have inspired the Kyushu in the 31st century.  The Taurians had the TCS Vandenberg hiding in a nebula.  And, of course, ComStar had its fairly hefty WarShip fleet hiding out/in mothballs at Luyten, Ross and Odessa (Gabriel).  Not to mention the Clans.

More to the point, after the Invincible disappeared, there were no further WarShip combat actions in the Inner Sphere until the Clan Invasion.  (And no WarShip-on-WarShip actions until...lessee...Trafalgar?)
« Last Edit: 22 June 2013, 08:59:28 by Mendrugo »

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #260 on: 22 June 2013, 23:21:53 »
----- Meanwhile, Back in Good Old 2787… -----

Date: March 20, 2787

Title: Songs of Freedom

Author: Joshua C. Perian

Type: Track (Historical: Turning Points – New Dallas)

Synopsis:  As Kenyon Marik scrambles to claim his piece of the Terran Hegemony, he directs a brigade composed of the Seventh Marik Militia, Third Atrean Dragoons and Fifth Atrean Dragoons to seize New Dallas from what remains of the New Dallas Militia.  The Marik Militia forces attack militia positions around the Lake Galvez region, where much of the planet’s population is concentrated, while elements of the Atrean Dragoons go after the capital, Caddo City.  The Marik Militia gets additional support from an atmospheric drop by the Atrean Dragoons.

Notes:  Based on the provided RATs, the Marik Militia has more primitive equipment than the New Dallas Militia across the board, with the defenders packing a number of Royal designs.  To offset the tech advantage, the Marik forces get an additional 25% of their starting forces dropped in.

This takes place in March 2787, only two months after Kenyon Marik declared himself First Lord of the Star League and formally abrogated the Ares Conventions.  The House Marik SB says that his first military action was a thrust toward Sol, in which “a substantial portion of the League’s best military forces began a wild free-for-all with the five Inner Sphere states for control of Star League storehouses, supply depots, and jump point refueling facilities.”  Kenyon earned “rich rewards in Parliament for the ‘liberation’ of worlds once held by the proud Terrans.”  However, Handbook: House Marik says that FWL forces began seizing Star League worlds in 2785, and had already used orbital bombardment and nuclear weapons against the Lyrans.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #261 on: 23 June 2013, 23:20:41 »
----- Two Days Later -----

Date: March 22, 2787

Title: Beginning of the End

Synopsis:  Reeling from the unexpectedly stiff resistance mounted by the New Dallas militia, FWLM General Sahin authorizes the use of nuclear weapons to shatter the world’s defenders, then sends her troops in to mop up while the militia tries to evacuate survivors from the blast zones using Turhans.   With the exception of a few fanatical militia units, the former Hegemony world unconditionally surrendered after the use of WMDs.

Notes:  The largest nuclear weapon in common use, the Peacemaker, has a blast radius of about 6 kilometers, and its secondary effects (fallout, EMP, shockwave) extend out about 12 kilometers.  As laid out in Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, unless the warheads are salted with cobalt (i.e. designed for long-term territorial denial through persistent radiation contamination), the fusion-based warheads won’t permanently ruin a world.  Given this, it’s likely that many of the major cities would have been turned into flaming craters, but the effects of the radiation would have been minimal outside of the city limits.  The effect of the bombs was, however, enough to destabilize the world’s terraforming infrastructure, allowing it to swiftly (relatively speaking) revert to its original, uninhabitable state.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #262 on: 24 June 2013, 23:04:27 »
----- Three Days Later -----

Date: March 25, 2787 [See Notes]

Title: Parting Gifts

Type: Sourcebook Fiction (Historical: Turning Points – New Dallas)

Synopsis:  Captain Paul Holekamp is ranking officer of what remains of the New Dallas Militia – little more than a lance.  With two companies of Atrean Dragoons approaching their position in the ruins of Fort Resolute, the New Dallas remnants mount a final, futile resistance.  Already suffering the effects of radiation sickness, Holekamp and his men are felled by the relentless advance of League forces.

Notes:  Holekamp notes that “every last man, woman, and child in Caddo City [was] vaporized in an instant.”  Given the 6 km radius for the Peacemaker, either Caddo city was quite compact, or the Free Worlds League brought along far larger warheads than we’ve seen rules for so far...or it was a MIRV-ed Peacemaker.  If it's a matter of warhead yield, perhaps these were the “city-buster” bombs referenced in the NAIS Atlas of the 4th Succession War when describing the conquest of Tikonov.

Holekamp's lance consists of his Crusader, backed by an Exterminator, a Black Knight, a Thug, and a captured Marik Rifleman.  The Atrean Dragoons come in with a Wolverine, a Griffin, and two Archers, among others.

The date given for the story is March 22, 2787 (the same day the bombs fell), but the ambush at Fort Resolute ties into the “Ranger Justice” Track, which takes place on March 25, 2787.  Thus, I would assume that the datestamp is a typo, and that the story actually takes place three days later.  It’s interesting that Holekamp notes that he just has a lance left to go against two companies of Atrean Dragoons, when the “Ranger Justice” Track gives the Militia a much better force ratio (about 19 units, total, if the Dragoons have 24).  It’s possible that Holekamp commanded just one element of the New Dallas Militia survivors at Fort Resolute, and that the overall ambush went off much better than what his lead element experienced.
« Last Edit: 27 June 2013, 09:57:30 by Mendrugo »

BeeRockxs

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #263 on: 25 June 2013, 10:01:40 »

Notes:  Holecamp notes that “every last man, woman, and child in Caddo City [was] vaporized in an instant.”  Given the 6 km radius for the Peacemaker, either Caddo city was quite compact, or the Free Worlds League brought along far larger warheads than we’ve seen rules for so far...or it was a MIRV-ed Peacemaker.
Do we have population numbers? With a 6km radius, you cover 113 km². That's quite a lot, actually. E.g., the city of Cologne in Germany has 470km², which includes quite a bit of forest and agricultural land, and has about 1 million inhabitants. 250k people should easily fit in 113km².

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #264 on: 25 June 2013, 14:45:23 »
Do we have population numbers? With a 6km radius, you cover 113 km². That's quite a lot, actually. E.g., the city of Cologne in Germany has 470km², which includes quite a bit of forest and agricultural land, and has about 1 million inhabitants. 250k people should easily fit in 113km².

Circa 2766 (before the Star League Civil War) the population was 3.4 billion.  Per the map, there were 17 major population centers (with 50 million+ inhabitants in each city and its suburbs).  Assuming sparsely populated hinterlands, with people clustering around the major cities (due to the arid conditions, most cities are clustered around an inland sea), That's 200 million people per major urban area (per hex on the planetary invasion map, essentially), so I'd guess that these cities were very dense, full of the kind of high-rise arcologies we see in the various pieces of city art.

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #265 on: 25 June 2013, 16:13:52 »
Circa 2766 (before the Star League Civil War) the population was 3.4 billion.  Per the map, there were 17 major population centers (with 50 million+ inhabitants in each city and its suburbs).  Assuming sparsely populated hinterlands, with people clustering around the major cities (due to the arid conditions, most cities are clustered around an inland sea), That's 200 million people per major urban area (per hex on the planetary invasion map, essentially), so I'd guess that these cities were very dense, full of the kind of high-rise arcologies we see in the various pieces of city art.

That's quite a high average per city. Even on Terra, with a 12 billion population by the late Star League, the biggest city (Tokyo) had around 50 million or so living in it.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #266 on: 25 June 2013, 20:45:25 »
Per one of the Jihad-era BattleCorps news articles, the underground city of Buche Arreste, on Genoa, had a population of more than 60 million.  So termite-mound living conditions appear to be a canon reality, at least on some worlds.

The map key just says that the 17 major population centers represent hexes where the total population of the hex is more than 50 million, probably only the people in the urban cores were nuked by the Leaguers, leaving survivors in the outskirts.  However, since the ruins are still radioactive in the late 3060s, the League doesn't appear to have used the comparatively clean fusion bombs Cray wrote up in Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, but rather cobalt salted warheads designed to poison the world in the long-term.

Attached is a picture of a Star League-era city (being strafed during the coup), showing towering structures and a definite preponderance of vertical architecture.
« Last Edit: 25 June 2013, 21:31:17 by Mendrugo »

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #267 on: 25 June 2013, 23:07:38 »
----- The Same Day -----

Date: March 25, 2787

Title: Ranger Justice

Synopsis:  The New Dallas Militia remnants stage an ambush in the ruins of Fort Resolute, drawing in elements of the Atrean Dragoons.  While the ambush is successful, it does nothing to change New Dallas’ fate.  The League forces strip the world of anything of value and depart, leaving the stricken world to die.  The world was uninhabited by the beginning of the Second Succession War.

Notes:  Contrary to the narrative of “Parting Gifts,” the Track states that the Militia troops successfully eliminated the Atrean Dragoons in the ambush at Fort Resolute.  This Track also gives a much more advantageous force ratio for the Militia/Dragoon matchup (19/24) than “Parting Gifts” (4/24).

As previously stated, the nukes alone wouldn’t have been enough to kill the planet, since BattleTech WMDs have been described as “clean” bombs, without long-term persistence of radiation or other negative effects.  However, the bombs probably did a number on the infrastructure required to maintain the planet’s terraforming, and the League probably ripped up and hauled off whatever was left.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #268 on: 27 June 2013, 05:14:12 »
----- 31 Years After "Lead Rainmakers" -----

Date: May 6, 2899

Title: Half of a Warrior

Author: Philip A. Lee

Type: Short Story (BattleCorps)

Synopsis:  Snow Raven Star Colonel Benett Cooper attends a council of the Clan’s bloodnamed warriors following the death of Khan Ada Siegel in a Trial of Possession against Steel Viper Khan Sanra Mercer for possession of the last remaining Snow Raven agrodomes on Hellgate.  Loremaster Joseph McKenna presides.  Candidates to replace Siegel as Khan include saKhan Hiram Crow, but he declines, preferring to oversee the WarShip fleet rather than getting mixed up in politics.  In his stead, he nominates Cooper, much to the Star Colonel’s surprise.

Crow describes Cooper as a ristar, both on the field of battle and in the political arena.  Voting commences, with bloodname houses largely voting in blocs.  The Crows, Coopers and Siegels unanimously approve, while the McKennas, Harpers and Sukhanovs oppose the nomination.  Enough of the other families side with Cooper to push him over the top.

Khan Cooper’s first task is to deal with the disappearance of the Star Lord-class CSRS Hailstorm, which was to have provided reinforcements for Khan Siegel on Hellgate, but instead jumped unexpectedly from Lum with six DropShips in tow and vanished.  After reviewing the evidence, Bennett puts forth the theory that the Hailstorm was stolen by agents of the Dark Caste, which has grown strong over the seven decades since the end of Operation KLONDIKE.

Notes:  It’s interesting to see such unanimity among bloodname house members, given the epic feuding between Wolf warriors of the same bloodlines (Vlad and Phelan of the Wards, for example).  I suppose that the Ravens come down more on the Fire Mandrill spectrum of this issue, though their voting blocs are probably more transitory and less tribal than the Mandrill kindraas.

Era Digest: Golden Century clarifies the Hellgate situation, noting that the Snow Ravens founded the colony there to mine germanium and use the system as a trading hub, but needed to build agro-domes to feed the local populace due to the inhospitable climate.  The timeline in EDGC shows that the Steel Viper attacks began in 2897 and lasted for two years before the Snow Ravens were finally driven out, beginning a long-term feud between the Vipers and Ravens.

If the Dark Caste was a plausible suspect for having orchestrated the hijacking of the Hailstorm, one wonders how often such things took place?  There must have been relatively sophisticated Dark Caste bands operating on the fringes of the Kerensky Cluster to be able to pull of such heists and live to tell the tale – certainly more advanced than the horse-riding, bolt-action rifle wielding “anti-khans” seen in the Jade Phoenix books.

Looking at the names of the Snow Raven bloodname houses, the Sukhanov line should sound familiar.  Chris Hartford has confirmed that they are descended from Rhean Marik's bodyguard in Fall From Grace.
« Last Edit: 27 June 2013, 05:31:59 by Mendrugo »

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #269 on: 27 June 2013, 05:34:44 »
Just a thought on the New Dallas stuff, why are the lances so varied? This is still sort of in the SL era, Lances should be composed of only a single 'Mech at this point

Register