Author Topic: Chronological BattleTech Fiction Review - The Succession Wars  (Read 485131 times)

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
Re: Chronological BattleTech Fiction Review - The Succession Wars
« Reply #450 on: 11 September 2013, 22:40:07 »
Right, but wasn't that back in the 2600s? One civil war fought three or four hundred years prior isn't exactly what I'd describe as a "habit". It almost seems as though Silza is speaking from an OOC perspective, which is either nonsensical or poor writing.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #451 on: 12 September 2013, 07:38:37 »
You're right that it was probably the author trying to put in some ironic foreshadowing for the League's forthcoming parade of civil wars (Anton vs. Janos, Duggan vs. Duncan, Andurien pulling out, and then the mid-Jihad breakup).

In-character, perhaps she was aware of the growing rifts between the various provinces and the central League governments.  Ever since the creation of the Home Defense Act, many of the provincial leaders had been contributing to the national war effort reluctantly at best, and Andurien was already entertaining secessionist notions at this point.  She may have been worried that if Anton had any level of success going rogue, it could embolden ambitious provincial leaders to take a crack at carving off their own piece of the pie, resulting in something similar to the Chaos March.  (The Chaos League?)
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #452 on: 12 September 2013, 11:16:40 »
----- 2 Days Later -----

Date: May 28, 3014

Title: The Color of the Sky

Author: Steven Mohan, Jr.

Type: Short Story (BattleCorps)

Synopsis:  On home leave, Patrick Graham tells his wife Christy that he doesn’t want to go back to the Second Militia Regiment.  She agrees with him, and tells him not to go, arguing that nobody really cares which Marik brother is Captain-General.  He has a knee-jerk reaction – replying that it’s his job and his duty. 

Their argument is interrupted by their six-year-old daughter, Maryanne, who gives Patrick a pale blue tee-shirt, the color of the sky, to keep him safe.  Patrick is confused until she points to a model Hermes II painted the same color, and explains that he’d told her that “blue was protection.”  (He’d meant the armor, but she understood the color.)  He promises her he’ll take it with him.

Notes: The apathy towards Janos vs. Anton mirrors that of many of the League’s member provinces when Anton declared his rebellion.  Janos had apparently become morose and withdrawn starting around 3011, following the death of his wife Ana, and had taken to issuing orders through proxies while he paced through the darkened, empty rooms of the Marik palace.  It was both this appearance that Janos had lost the ability to rule and lingering anger over Janos’ execution of Anton’s best friend, William Crawford (plus ComStar manipulation in the form of arranging the Dragoon deal with Max Liao and Anton) that pushed Anton into rebellion. 

The general apathy of the populace of border worlds has been commented on several times in BattleTech products concerning the 3rd Succession War.  The flags over the government house and the faces on the money change, but life generally continues as normal unless you get caught up in partisan guerrilla movements.  (One notable exception is those worlds conquered by House Kurita, which get a wholesale caste system makeover.  Theoretically, worlds conquered by House Liao would see the entire population reduced to servitor-caste…but really, how many worlds did House Liao conquer…and keep…in the Third Succession War?)  Christy’s attitude shows that the whole idea of civil war was deeply unpopular in the League when Anton declared his Captain-Generalcy.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #453 on: 13 September 2013, 11:38:47 »
----- 1 Week Later -----

Date: June 7, 3014

Synopsis:  Patrick Graham’s militia lance has been dispatched on a recon mission to scout the rebel landing zone, 214 kilometers south of the planetary capital of Constantinople.  Early reports show that the Third Ducal Guard has landed on a different continent, while these troops show the markings of the Fourth Regulan Hussars. 

Before reporting back in, Graham checks out a scattering of unmarked DropShips at the southern end of the field.  He’s horrified when an Archer emerges bearing the insignia of Wolf’s Dragoons – Capellan mercenaries (as far as Graham knows).

Notes:  Graham’s resolve to resist is certainly bolstered by seeing the Dragoons.  As far as he’s concerned, Anton has allied himself with the devil by getting support from Maximilian Liao.

I’m not entirely sure what Max did to the League that earned him that reputation.  Looking at reports of fighting in the 2990-3014 period, there was a major FWLM offensive out of the Zion Province towards Fletcher in 3001 (which bogged down), followed by “a series of short, nasty campaigns” under Anton that ground to an immediate halt on Menkalinan and New Canton.  It notes that there had been a lull on the border prior to that.  So Max Liao gets a reputation as “the devil” because his troops more or less successfully halted FWL incursions? 

Aside from repulsing FWL invasions, the most sinister thing I can find Max doing is conducting a secret trade deal with the noble ruler of Asuncion.  (Granted – there was a raid by Vincent’s Commandos on Berenson in 2995, but it was just to disrupt a planned Regulan Hussar raid on the Confederation; plus three raids – Nam Dinh, Fuentes and Sorunda – by Stapleton’s Grenadiers while Lady Margaret Stapleton pursued her private war against House Marik – so not really Max’s doing.)  All the rest of the Capellan battle reports from 2990-3013 are all-Davion, all the time.

Aside from the raids on Berenson, Nam Dinh, Fuentes and Sorunda, all the recorded military actions by the CCAF on the Marik border are defensive in nature.  If anything, the Liaos should think of House Marik as devils, especially since Romano’s paramour died defending against Anton Marik’s offensive campaigns.  (There’s a good reason Anton was promised Candace as his bride should he win the Captain-Generalcy – he wanted to live through the honeymoon.)

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #454 on: 13 September 2013, 14:53:06 »
The CCAF proper may have concentrated on defensive actions and along the Davion front, but Liao merc units were hitting the FWL at the time.

Wolf's Dragoons whipped FWL troops on Scarborough, Wallacia and Shiro III between 3010 and 3013 with "great success", according to the WD sourcebook.

McCarron's Armored Cavalry relieved the Blackwind Lancers on Elnath in 3015, tracked the attackers to Ohrensen and hit them there. Badly. (That's in the MAC sourcebook. Brush Wars doesn't mention this at all.)
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #455 on: 14 September 2013, 12:23:58 »
----- 2 Days Later -----

Date: June 9, 3014

Synopsis:  The rebel/loyalist fighting has centered on the capital city, Constantinople.  While the loyalist Ninth Marik Militia battles the Fourth Regulan Hussars for control of the Jacob Constantine Bridge, Patrick Graham’s militia unit has been tasked with holding the Westside Bridge.  Graham and his lance manage to take out a Dragoon Wolverine scouting the advance, but close behind comes the bulk of the Dragoon forces. 

The militia retreats into the city, the battle becoming a confused melee as the defensive line bends.  Graham is horrified as his battle with a Dragoon Firefly results in the destruction of a hospital’s occupied pediatric oncology ward.  Minutes later, the word goes out that Governor Irene Constantine has surrendered the planet to Anton’s forces and called upon all loyalist forces to lay down their arms.  Graham and several of his fellow militia troops withdraw to the north.

Notes: Historical: Brush Wars clarifies that the Dragoons’ Seventh Kommando infiltrated the capital, kidnapped Governor Constantine and her cabinet in a daylight raid, and coerced her into ordering a surrender.  Most of the militia complied, forcing the mostly intact Ninth Marik Militia to abandon the world and withdraw to Emris IV.  Only a handful of militia troops (including Graham) fled to the countryside to conduct a guerilla campaign.
« Last Edit: 14 September 2013, 12:27:59 by Mendrugo »

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #456 on: 15 September 2013, 06:30:43 »
----- 1 Day Later -----

Date: June 10, 3014

Synopsis:  Graham and his militia troops (now guerillas) watch as the Ninth Marik Militia loads aboard their DropShips and evacuate from Nova Roma, abandoning them.  Graham’s lancemate, Calvin Dawson, recommends surrendering and appealing for Anton’s advertised amnesty.  Patrick refuses, and Dawson stalks off angrily.  Graham discusses their situation with his commander, Lt. Silza.  They settle on a plan to harry Anton’s Third Ducal Guard and the Dragoons, hoping to damage them to the point where the Fourth Regulan Hussars will have to assume the role of garrison unit – hoping that a native League unit will govern more gently than Liao mercenaries or Anton’s personal unit.

Notes: Graham is terrified that Anton may have promised to turn Nova Roma over to Capellan rule, and fears for what the Capellan troops may do to his wife and daughter, so he resolves to carry on the fight.  Aside from reclassifying them as servitors, I don’t think the Capellans have a reputation for atrocities against conquered populaces (possibly because an empire on the retreat for 300 years doesn’t have much of a track record managing conquered populaces).  Though I can’t figure out why Graham thinks Anton would surrender League territory to the Confederation.  Given that Anton has presided over a number of bitterly fought invasions into Capellan space, one would think that his track record would argue against having signed away League worlds.

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #457 on: 15 September 2013, 12:35:43 »
It's maybe a bit of a stretch, but maybe they're thinking of all the battles over the Andurien worlds and actions that Kurnath and his ilk may have gotten up to?

It's more interesting than optimal, and therefore better. O0 - Weirdo

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #458 on: 15 September 2013, 13:13:30 »
I can see the argument for calling Kalvin "the devil."  Other Liaos...not so much.  (The best Dainmar would be able to pulll off would be 'Phil, Prince of Insufficient Light.')  Knowing what we know now, Max deserved Leaguer hatred, but his big run of nefarious deeds still lies in the future, from Graham's perspective, leaving me mystified at the source of Graham's seemingly personal animosity towards Max.
« Last Edit: 16 September 2013, 07:14:58 by Mendrugo »

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #459 on: 16 September 2013, 07:14:23 »
----- 1 Week Later -----

Date: June 16, 3014

Synopsis:  In the Forest of Thorns, north of the city of Salutant, Patrick Graham and his superior, Lt. Beatrice Silza, surveil Salutant’s airfield.  Seeing no opposition, he gives the all clear to advance.  His Hermes II and her Ostsol charge out of the woods, hoping to destroy the facility and deny its use to the rebels as a VTOL refueling base.  However, they realize that the facility is a trap when a Fourth Regulan Hussars Awesome emerges from the evacuated facility and engages.

The Awesome, piloted by Captain Harvey Nells, burns out Silza’s cockpit, then crushes it underfoot for good measure.  Nells is motivated by the hope that once Anton is installed as Captain-General, he’ll reward the officers who placed him in that position, and is happy to kill as many loyalists as it takes to end Janos’ disastrous rule.  Nells destroys Graham’s Hermes II, but not before the loyalist MechWarrior manages to eject into the heat-cracked, arroyo laced badlands.

Nells hunts Graham as he scampers through the narrow ravines, and taunts him that he can’t escape because his sky-blue shirt makes him stand out.  Graham then uses the shirt as a decoy to trick the Awesome into toppling off a ravine edge.  Shorn of idealism, he uses a jagged chunk of ferroglass from the Awesome’s cockpit to finish off the wounded Nells.

Notes: The title, “The Color of the Sky,” is referenced in several respects in this story – it’s the color of the 2nd Nova Roma Militia’s paint scheme, the color of the “protection” shirt – which actually does end up saving Graham’s life, and it’s used to represent Graham’s innocence and idealistic hope that the war will be swift, honorable, and bloodless.  By the time he’s about to kill his fellow Leaguer with a makeshift knife, the story notes that the dust thrown up by the Awesome’s fall makes it so he can no longer see the sky.  Not only is Patrick no longer hesitant about fighting for Janos, he’s willing to bring it to the far more personal level of stabbing his helpless foe to death while he can see his face, rather than just blasting away at an enemy ‘Mech with autocannons and lasers.  Author Steven Mohan, Jr. used similar symbolism in his 1st Succession War story, “Broken Blade.”

Historical: Brush Wars notes that elements of Beta Regiment, the Special Recon Group and the Third Ducal Guard spent the week after the fall of Constantinople hunting down loyalist guerrillas, so it looks like Graham wasn’t able to continue the fight after losing his ride.  At the same time, in the rugged Dawn River region, Natasha Kerensky had her famous first encounter with the Bounty Hunter, one of several mercenaries contracted by Anton as support troops, and lost her Marauder and most of her lancemates.  Interesting that Historical: Brush Wars specifically did not mention the Fourth Regulan Hussars as taking part in the mopping up operations, when an Awesome from that formation is doing just that. 

Eight days after this scene, Anton Marik triumphantly arrives on Nova Roma and forces the planetary leaders to endorse him at gunpoint.  As a result, Loyalist troops were particularly vicious when they retook the planet the following year, waging what amounted to a scorched earth campaign.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #460 on: 17 September 2013, 09:59:05 »
----- 2 Months Later -----

Date: August 24, 3014 [See Notes]

Title: The Judas Blind

Author: Michael A. Stackpole

Type: Short Story (Shrapnel)

Synopsis:  Patrick Kell strolls the Akumashima (“Devil Island”) slums in the city of Hakkinshi, wearing a disguise.  He’s ambushed by street thugs, but takes them out easily and questions one about the whereabouts of “Little Dragon.”  The person in question is revealed to be a strikingly beautiful woman with a gold ring (a renketsu) in her nose, signifying that she’s been trained in the arts of love.  She invites him in off the streets and questions him at gunpoint.  She tells him that the ISF is offering a reward of 5,000 C-Bills for his capture, and asks why he returned to Murchison just six weeks after his battalion was chased off the world by the 27th Dieron Regulars.

Patrick tells her that he’s looking for a local woman – Hanako Aido – who got pregnant by one of his men – Kevin O’Dell, so he can bring her to live with O’Dell’s family on Hamilton.  Little Dragon agrees to help, but warns Patrick not to get any ideas about her because of the renketsu.  She also warns him that the yakuza are hunting him as well, since his lance destroyed one of their opium barges during the occupation.  For safety, the Little Dragon takes Patrick to her apartment – an elegantly furnished abode hidden in a shattered urban high-rise otherwise used only as an opium den.

She tells Patrick that her real name is Takara, while Little Dragon is a persona she uses when dealing with the yakuza and other Unproductives in Akumashima.  Departing to find Hanako Aido, Takara locks the door and tells him that if anyone tries to open it without the code, a bomb will detonate.  Exhausted by the week’s flight in-system, Lt. Colonel Kell sleeps.

Notes:  Per dialogue on Shrapnel p. 116, this takes place “four months” after the initial Kell Hound raid on Murchison looking for the missing Halstead Station books.  The Kell Hound sourcebook scenario “A Little Knowledge” dates that raid to August 25, 3014, which would have this story taking place in late December 3014.  This is, unfortunately, contradicted by Patrick’s placing the January 3014 Halstead Station battle “about six months ago.”  To keep this story from being internally inconsistent, I’d suggest that the date is wrong on the “A Little Knowledge” scenario from the Kell Hounds sourcebook – putting the raid on Murchison on April 25, 3014, rather than August 25, 3014.

This would put the chronology:  April 25, 3014 – Kell Hounds raid Murchison looking for the lost books, and make off with them.  They send the 36th Dieron Regulars packing.  April 25 – July 15(ish) – Patrick’s battalion occupies Murchison, hoping to draw front-line DCMS forces away from the fight on Mallory’s World, one jump away.  July 15(ish) – The 27th Dieron Regulars take the bait and redeploy to Murchison to drive off the Davion mercenaries.  August 25th (“six weeks later”), Patrick comes back looking for Hanako Aido.

Hamilton is just one jump away from Arc-Royal, so there may be close contacts between House Kell and House O’Dell – both of which have commercial interests in the same region.  The 3016 roster for the Kell Hounds lists Kevin O’Dell as an Ostsol pilot in Patrick’s Command Lance, so reports of his demise in 3014 appear to be exaggerated.

It’s very odd that Patrick keeps mentioning that he’s been taking orders (or at least advice) from Duke Michael Hasek-Davion.  At this point, the Hounds are heavily engaged up on the Combine border – Duke Sandoval’s turf.  Why would the Capellan March commander be micromanaging mercenaries out of his jurisdiction – perhaps hoping to either suborn them into an anti-Hanse plan or, failing that, eliminating troops loyal to Hanse?

Again we see Kell Hound story staples of effortless hand-to-hand combat victories by the Kells, people starting to warn Patrick about things as soon as they meet him, and spilling their innermost secrets to a complete stranger.  Patrick is, of course, a pulp RPG hero, so he fits perfectly into the universe as such.

The Kell Hound sourcebook notes 3014 as the year that “Patrick Kell meets Takara and begins an affair that lasts 13 years.”  I wonder what happened to his paramour Tisha from “Not the Way the Smart Money Bets.”
« Last Edit: 17 September 2013, 20:30:43 by Mendrugo »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #461 on: 17 September 2013, 19:23:13 »
The Kell Hound sourcebook notes 3014 as the year that “Patrick Kell meets Takara and begins an affair that lasts 13 years.”  I wonder what happened to his paramour Tisha from “Not the Way the Smart Money Bets.”

Could have Stackpole forgotten about Takara?  Its been decades since he wrote this short story.  Aside from that possibility it think this was pretty niffy story.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #462 on: 17 September 2013, 20:26:32 »
My personal theory is that Tisha got killed during Blizzard's revenge attempt against the Kell brothers.  (In "Not the Way the Smart Money Bets," Blizzard was last seen vowing revenge.)

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #463 on: 18 September 2013, 11:16:16 »
----- 1 Day Later -----

Date: August 25, 3014

Synopsis:  Patrick Kell is jolted awake by the sound of someone using a vibroblade to saw through the reinforced steel of Takara’s front door.  The explosives trigger, and Patrick quickly shoots the survivors dead and leaps out the window to the balcony, feeling sure that Takara turned him in.  He goes to ground in the Akumashima slums among the Unproductives and spends an extended internal monologue reflecting on his relatively priviliged lifestyle as a MechWarrior in the Successor States.

While dining on warm beer and cold noodles at a local dive, and musing on how he’s strangely attracted to Takara, he’s surprised as the Little Dragon sits down at his table and pulls a pistol on him.  She assures Patrick that she did not betray him.  Enraged at the destruction of her apartment, she tells Patrick that all she wants is for him to leave Murchison and never return.  She says that she’s found Hanako Aido, and that they’ll meet in an hour.

However, as the two leave the restaurant, they’re immediately surrounded by a dozen ISF commandos, led by Talon Sergeant Ittetsue Kimura, and taken into custody.  The ISF puts them in a cell at the facilities used by the Kell Hounds during their occupation.

As Takara berates Patrick for ruining her life, he begins to undress – shocking her with his presumed intentions.  He further surprises her by peeling off a pseudo-flesh bandage concealing an Allen wrench.  He admits that he’s been wandering the streets of Akumashima for two days hoping to get picked up by the ISF so he could get into this cell.  He approached Little Dragon because MIIO felt she’d be sure to turn him in.

Working with the Allen wrench, he tells Tanaka that the Hanaka Aido situation was real, but that O’Dell isn’t dead.  He also confesses that the Kell Hound evacuation six weeks earlier was a sham.  The Hounds raided Murchison four months previously to get the surviving books from the Halstead collection, but ISF Colonel Harrison Ukita had enough time to hide the LosTech trove, and the Hounds couldn’t find it during the three-month occupation.  In the six weeks since the pull-out, Ukita has recovered the books and has stored them in this facility’s ‘Mech bay until they can be shipped out on the DCS Fukushu.  Patrick tells Takara that the Hounds’ JumpShip will enter at a pirate point close to Murchison, allowing the Hounds to drop on Hakkinshi before Ukita can hide the books again.

As the expository monologue concludes, Patrick opens up a secret door to a storage room full of equipment and supplies, including ISF commando uniforms.  He and Takara disguise themselves, then place sixteen remote detonators at key points around the facility to create a distraction.

Just as Patrick is about to detonate the explosives, a warning siren sounds – their escape has been discovered.  He turns to tell Takara that they can slip out unnoticed, and finds her holding a gun on him.  She calls to Tai-sa Harrison Ukita and hands Patrick over to the ISF.

In Ukita’s office, the ISF Tai-sa thanks Takara for her service, then notes that she was the personal property of Marquis Jiro Somo, former CEO of Tanadi Computers (who died in 3010), and that Somo’s decree releasing Takara from servitude expired upon his death.  Ukita intends to deliver Takara back to Jiro’s heir, Marquis Gonsai Somo.  Takara nods toward the bedroom, suggesting an alternative arrangement to Ukita.

While Takara “negotiates” for her freedom, Patrick is strip searched, and the other patch of pseudo-flesh is discovered.  When he’s returned to Ukita’s office three hours later, the Tai-sa taunts Patrick with the knowledge that Takara stole the detonator from him earlier and provided the ISF with the locations of all fifteen explosives.  He tells Kell that he’ll be taken offworld and used as a hostage to pressure the Kell Hounds to declare themselves neutral and withdraw from Mallory’s World.  Telling Kell that his men have disarmed all the bombs, he thumbs the apparently now impotent trigger. 

BOOM! 

The sixteenth explosive (moldable plastique) had been placed onto Ukita’s person during his session with Takara.  He realizes his mistake milliseconds before being vaporized.  Takara frees Patrick in time for them to take out the guards together.  In the aftermath, Patrick hears a ‘Mech-raid siren blaring, telling him that his Kell Hounds battalion is approaching from the west.

The 27th Dieron Regulars evacuate, leaving an omega company (Migawari Company) to delay the mercenaries long enough to withdraw their staff and key equipment.  The Hounds blow through the Migawari troopers and seize the uncrewed DCS Fukushu, which is swiftly renamed the Nuada Argetlan.

Notes: Interestingly, the story keeps referring to the guys in the ninja suits with 360 wrap-around visors as “ISF agents” rather than DEST troopers.

The ending seems slightly contrived.  How could Takara have known that Ukita would press the detonator?  It seems like a longshot unless she had a backup plan of asking Ukita to let her press it.  Also regarding Takara, I guess she really earned her renketsu, since he didn’t notice her stuffing plastique where the sun don’t shine.

The House Kurita sourcebook confirms that Marquis Gonsai Somo is still running Tanadi Computers in 3025.  However, House Somo loses control of Tanadi sometime thereafter, because Redmond Hosoya is Tanadi CEO in 3056.  (Though he’s apparently not much of an improvement, since he’s into vices that even Uncle Chandy finds “deplorable”…at least until November 2, 3056.)

Patrick’s monologue would seem to indicate that the Shadow Hawk from “A Little Knowledge” either escaped with the books, or was carrying a decoy crate while Ukita had the real books hidden. 

It’s not clear how the ISF found Patrick at Little Dragon’s apartment.  Probably one of the street toughs told them Patrick had been looking for her, and the ISF already knew where her digs were.  Looks like her opium den guards weren’t a match for a Draconis Elite Strike Team.  (Or maybe not so elite, since they didn’t know about the door bomb.)
« Last Edit: 20 September 2013, 20:31:31 by Mendrugo »

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #464 on: 19 September 2013, 12:13:26 »
----- 3 Days Later -----

Date: August 28, 3014 [See Notes]

Synopsis:  As the Hounds prepare to depart Murchison aboard their DropShips, captured books crammed with LosTech in tow, Patrick has a heart-to-heart with Takara and invites her to come with him when the Hounds depart.  She refuses, telling him that Akumashima needs the Little Dragon.  She also chastises Patrick for having not trusted her, and says that there could never be a relationship without trust.

Patrick responds that he can prove he trusted her – when she pulled a gun on him during the explosives-planting mission, he’d had the detonator in his hand.  Had he believed she’d truly betrayed him to the ISF, he’d have blown them both up rather than submit to ISF torture.  He repeats his offer to her, and then departs for the DropShip, unwilling to look back to see if she’s following, but unable to get her out of his thoughts or his heart.

Notes:  Patrick mentions that “our other DropShip reached Murchison within two days of jumping into the system, and a day after that, we were ready to leave.”  My inference is that this scene takes place at least three days after the battle, though it could be much longer, depending on when Janos Vandermeer jumped into the Murchison system.

Takara didn’t come with Patrick that day, but according to the Kell Hounds sourcebook, she visited him at seemingly random intervals throughout the following thirteen years, appearing wherever he was posted and having trysts with him.  By the year-count, the relationship continued until 3027.  Takara’s son by Patrick, Christian, was born in 3026, but Patrick never learned of his existence before his death at the hands of Yorinaga Kurita.  Christian discovered his father’s identity when Takara died in 3042, and confronted Morgan, who brought him into the Kell family and took him to Outreach for training.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #465 on: 20 September 2013, 11:48:29 »
----- 2 Months Later -----

Date: October, 3014 [See Notes]

Title: Return of the Snord

Author: Blaine Lee Pardoe

Type: Scenario (Cranston Snord’s Irregulars)

Synopsis:  Accompanying a regiment of the Arcturan Guards on a raid on Rochelle, Snord’s Irregulars breaks away and attacks the city of Trivis, looking for a collection of photographs dating from the Star League era (around 2700), stored in a vault under city hall.  Cranston is also looking for revenge, since it was on Rochelle [see “Twins”] that he’d been betrayed and attacked by House Marik.

Unfortunately, a Marik ‘Mech company was waiting for the Irregulars, and Cranston’s unit only escaped (with photographs in tow) by detonating a building filled with petrochemicals.

The scenario pits an Irregulars Medium/Heavy lance against three Marik ‘Mechs and four platoons of infantry in an urban setting.  One of the buildings is a refinery, which may explode when fired upon.

Notes: The scenario is undated, but Historical: Brush Wars records a battle on Rochelle in October, 3014, with the Marik Loyalist mercenaries “Clifton’s Rangers” as the defenders, and no mention of the attacking force.  Since Brush Wars mentions that Lyrans staged opportunistic attacks during the Anton-Janos conflict, it makes sense for Cranston’s Rochelle raid to take place at this point.  The Irregulars only face militia in Trivis, so it appears that Clifton’s Rangers gets its “lightly damaged” status fighting the Arcturan Guards unit that accompanied the Irregulars.

The big twist in this scenario – the exploding refinery – is likely to be a non-factor in terms of damaging 'Mechs by surprise.  Unless a neutral GM is running the game with the opposing sides unaware of the refinery’s status, everyone will just give it a wide berth.  The blast only has a two hex radius of effect, so it’s pretty easy to maneuver around. 

The Irregulars win by having ‘Mechs spend four turns in the City Hall hex, then exiting any two functional ‘Mechs off the west side of the map.  The Marik forces win by preventing this.

For the Iregulars, I’d recommend hitting the refinery immediately with LRMs, before any infantry nearby can move out of the blast range.  It’s likely that the buildings will catch on fire, either killing the infantry or forcing them to move into the open.  The smoke from the fires should help reduce the amount of incoming fire while the Irregulars ‘Mechs charge the City Hall hex en masse and get the pictures. 

For the Marik forces, I’d recommend immediately pulling your mechanized infantry out of their starting positions and moving across the street to buildings outside of the refinery blast range.  If the Irregulars don’t blow the refinery, wait until they reach City Hall, and then target it yourself and weaken them with the splash damage.

The "city" of Trivis suffers from an issue common to many urban scenarios - not enough buildings.  It consists of two rows of buildings with a paved area between them, about nine structures in total.  It looks more like a dusty desert town with a sign that says "Last Gas for 100 Miles" on the outskirts.  I really appreciated it when the dense urban maps were printed, since those gave the sense of rampaging around a city, rather than a minuscule hamlet like this. 

Also, the placement of a refinery right next to city hall beggars belief.  The townsfolk couldn't be bothered to walk an extra hundred meters to get from home to the refinery?  (Though, granted, the placement of explosive fuel bunkers in The Crescent Hawks' Revenge and MechCommander also had them nestled in among residential/administrative structures.)  Urban Planning appears to be a LosTech art.
« Last Edit: 20 September 2013, 20:25:56 by Mendrugo »

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #466 on: 21 September 2013, 07:57:37 »
----- That Same Month -----

Date: October 24, 3014

Title: Godfather

Author: Jason Schmetzer

Synopsis:  As the Anton-Janos conflict continues to rage, the loyalist Fifteenth Marik Militia battles the rebel Third Marik Militia in Berenson’s badlands.  The story opens with a battle between a lance of the 15th and a Trebuchet from the 3rd.  Loyalists Nathan White (Rifleman), lance commander Sergeant Ramirez (Hunchback), Magdeleno (Valkyrie), and Gerhard (Whitworth) prove victorious.  As they withdraw from the successful skirmish, new hostile contacts pop up on their scanners and incoming fire begins to drop on their position as the rest of the Trebuchet’s lance – three Awesomes – enter the fray, killing Gerhard and Magdeleno.  The two surviving loyalists retreat.

Back at the Fifteenth’s regimental bivouac, Nathan sees evidence of hard fighting – missing comrades, supply shortages, short tempers.  An assembly horn sounds before they can even hit the showers.  Colonel Jake Hawkins addresses the troops, informing them that the Third Militia has been reinforced by one of Anton’s Ducal Guard regiments.  The LCCC has directed the Fifteenth to hold the rebels on Berenson until reinforcements arrive by disappearing into the badlands, turning the rebel pledge not to leave Berenson until the Fifteenth was destroyed against them.

After the briefing, Ramirez talks to Hawkins alone, motioning at White to meet him back at the tent.  Later, Ramirez tells White that he and Hawkins have history going back before they were in the Fifteenth, and that the two of them are heading out at dawn.  Nathan sleeps uneasily, tormented by nightmares of his lancemates’ death and himself being killed in combat.

Notes: According to Historical: Brush Wars, the Fifteenth had been stranded on Berenson since the start of the revolt, due to Anton’s manipulation of JumpShip assignments.  Anton sent in General Gerald Marik and his Third Marik Militia to crush the loyalists.  The Fourth Ducal Guard followed as reinforcements.  Due to the JumpShip diversions, the Fifteenth was already starved of supplies and unable to sustain a stand-up fight.

The Fifteenth Marik Militia is listed as Regular/Reliable (and was previously seen getting slapped around by the Kell Hounds on Castor in 3011).  By October, they’ve sustained moderate damage, per the campaign tables in Brush Wars.  The Third Marik Militia (Veteran/Fanatical) had previously sustained moderate damage from fighting on Sophie’s World, but appear to have been fully repaired prior to assaulting Berenson.  The Fourth Ducal Guard (Green/Fanatical) are likewise fresh and undamaged going into Berenson.
« Last Edit: 21 September 2013, 08:05:07 by Mendrugo »

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #467 on: 22 September 2013, 07:56:46 »
----- 1 Day Later -----

Date: October 25, 3014

Synopsis:  Nathan White and Sgt. Ramirez return to the scene of their lance’s destruction the previous day to check on rebel salvage operations.  They find evidence that the rebels stripped the wreckage during the night.  Their sensors register a lone rebel Orion, and the loyalist pair engages.  As they drop the Orion, three more signatures appear – the Awesomes.  White and Ramirez withdraw.

Notes: Ramirez notes that this is an intentional part of the 15th’s new strategy – keep poking the rebels until they give chase, and then string them out through the badlands.

The LosTech status of Beagle Active Probes is really evident here.  Had the 15th been so equipped, they’d have spotted the rebel Assault ‘Mechs even when shut down. 

The Loyalists keep yelling that every hit on the Orion is payback for a lost lancemate.  The hatred engendered by this civil war seems to have bred fanaticism on both sides, as the Orion pilot actually starts firing at White’s Rifleman with a sidearm after the ‘Mech goes down. 
« Last Edit: 23 September 2013, 06:14:26 by Mendrugo »

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #468 on: 23 September 2013, 09:26:34 »
----- 3 Days Later -----

Date: October 28, 3014

Synopsis:  Three days and four hundred kilometers later, Ramirez and White are assigned a new lancemate – a Quickdraw driver named Wallabi – and sent out to scout the regiment’s backtrail to make sure the Third is still following.  They make contact with rebel scouts, but the Vindicator and Centurion they ambush aren’t in the Third Marik Militia’s colors, they’re Ducal Guards.  During the fight, the loyalists take out the Centurion and capture its pilot, though White’s triumph is soured by fact that his Rifleman fell over and he was knocked unconscious during the battle.

Back at camp, Colonel Hawkins (aka “The Hawk”) tells the assembled loyalist troops that the plan is working – the Fourth Ducal Guards have been drawn into the pursuit and are scattered across the badlands, trying to find and engage the Fifteenth.  More good news – DropShips are inbound, and the rebels aren’t expecting any more reinforcements.

While the MechWarriors disperse to get some rack time, Ramirez goes to the ‘Mech bay to fix up his Hunchback.  He tells White that tomorrow’s battle will likely be a major engagement, since the rebels will be pushing hard to eliminate the loyalists before reinforcements arrive.  To make things worse, the Fifteenth’s ‘Mechs are out of spare parts and nearly dry on ammo.

Notes: Interestingly, Nathan identifies the ‘Mechs as having the right colors, but the wrong details.  The Ducal Guards have a base of purple and white, with blue and black highlights.  However, the Marik Militia base should be purple with red and blue highlights (no white, no black).  Did the Third change its colors when it went rebel – to match Anton’s scheme?  Or was the Marik Militia base scheme different in 3014 than in 3025+?

This showcases the utility of the 3025-era ‘Mechs and support units with the Quirk of being able to communicate with ships in orbit and further out in the system.  If the Fifteenth had an Atlas, they’d already be coordinating with the inbound DropShips.

Historical: Brush Wars clarifies that Hawkins staged a series of fighting withdrawals, losing a battalion of the Fifteenth Marik Militia in the process.  The inbound troops are the Green/Reliable Thirty-first Marik Militia backed by three conventional regiments.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #469 on: 24 September 2013, 09:16:20 »
----- 1 Day Later -----

Date: October 29, 3014

Synopsis:  Fully engaged, the battered ‘Mechs of the Fifteenth struggle to hold the line.  White and Ramirez are backed by Lt. Henderson, in an Awesome, as they cover the unit’s flank.  After a punishing exchange of fire with a Centurion and a Hermes II, Henderson (his Awesome crippled) withdraws, leaving Ramirez and White to hold the back door.  Ramirez, his Hunchback’s leg crippled, follows, leaving White to cover the retreat.

Short on autocannon ammunition, White relies on his lasers to take out a Jenner, but overheating leaves him at the mercy of a Stinger.  Ramirez returns to save him, but is flattened by a rebel Awesome.  Ramirez tells White to run, but the order is countermanded by Lt. Hawkins, who arrives on the scene in his Orion.  In a furious crossfire, one enemy Awesome goes down, but another replaces it.  Henderson’s Awesome is destroyed as well, and White and Hawkins both go down under PPC fusillades. 

Recovering his feet, White places his remaining laser barrel less than a meter from the remaining Awesome’s cockpit, and its pilot surrenders.  White whispers the name of a fallen lancemate, Gerhard, and incinerates the rebel.  He kicks the Awesome for good measure, to avenge Ramirez, but then notices the wounded sergeant waving at him from the ruined cockpit of the fallen Hunchback.  In the sky above, twinkling lights signify the arrival of loyalist reinforcements.

Back at camp, Colonel Hawkins comes to where White is standing vigil over Ramirez, who looks like he’ll pull through.  White comments that he’d heard Henderson mention that Ramirez was Hawkins’ godfather.  Hawkins replies that Ramirez was his first sergeant as a green graduate of Princefield, who’d taken care of him like a son.  He promotes White to lieutenant and tells him he’s assigning Ramirez to him as his XO, to serve as his teacher and “godfather.” 

Notes:  According to Historical: Brush Wars, the Militia troops jumped to Berenson eleven days after fighting started on-world.  Fearing the loss of the Third Militia, Anton ordered its CO, Gerald Marik, to retreat to Bernardo to secure the weapons factories there.  Bernardo appears to have hosted a Kallon Industries plant making Crusaders (just an assembly plant – requiring imports from Nimakachi and Asuncion) and personal arms.

This was just the first of a series of brutal clashes between the Fifteenth and the rebels of the Third Militia and Fourth Guards.  The campaign section of Brush Wars records the battle as a win for the Fifteenth Marik Militia, and notes that they sustained Moderate damage.  That was down to Light by December, when they pursued the rebel Third to Bernardo along with the fresh 31st Marik Militia.  The Fourth Ducal Guards didn’t suffer significant damage from the Berenson campaign or the initial conquest of Bernardo in November, but was forced to retreat from Bernardo with Moderate damage in December.  The Fourth Guards and the Third Marik Militia were destroyed on Park Place in January 3015 at the hands of the Fifteenth Marik Militia and the Stewart Dragoons’ Home Guard.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #470 on: 25 September 2013, 10:13:28 »
----- The Following Month -----

Date: November, 3014 [See Notes]

Title: The Spider and the Wolf

Author: Gideon

Type: Graphic Novel (The Spider and the Wolf)

Synopsis:  In this prologue to The Spider and the Wolf, Natasha Kerensky’s command lance (Natasha Kerensky - Warhammer, Lynn Sheridan - Crusader, Bobby Hunnel - Griffin, Takiro Ikeda – Archer, and Colin Maclaren - Marauder) faces off against Marik loyalist forces (the 2nd Brigade of the Fusiliers of Oriente) during the fighting on Calloway VI, defending a rocky pass near a river.  Marik reinforcements press them hard, but they hold long enough for “the Colonel” to be in position.  Once the loyalist troops enter the target zone, additional Dragoons rise from the river and hit the Marik forces on the flank, shattering several. 

However, a Marik BattleMaster punches Hunnel’s Griffin on the shoulder-mounted missile launcher pod.  Hunnel responds with a blistering attack that causes the Assault ‘Mech to explode violently enough to send the Griffin flying.  Sheridan warns him that his reactor is going critical, but Hunnel refuses to eject, noting that the ‘Mech has been in his family for five generations.  Natasha tells Lynn she understands – better to be dead than dispossessed.  As the victorious Dragoons retreat to a bunker, Hunnel’s Griffin goes up in a tremendous mushroom cloud.

Notes:  The Spider and the Wolf is an often bizarre artifact of FASA’s very early days, when the history had been sketched out in broad strokes, but the exact dates, starmaps, and rules of how ‘Mechs and interstellar travel worked were still evolving. 

Here we see the famed “fusion engine explosion” treated like a multi-kiloton nuke going off, with Natasha’s group having to flee to a bunker three kilometers away for safety.  Looking at the nuke rules in Jihad Hot Spots: 3070, that radius would imply a blast of roughly 50 kilotons – Santa Ana class.  That’s well beyond even what the Tactical Handbook rules suggest for engine explosions (by several orders of magnitude), so either Natasha was being excessively cautious, or Hunnel was running some unusual hardware under the hood.

Hunnel’s statement that the Griffin has been in his family for five generations and that he’d rather die than eject and be dispossessed makes no sense in the context of the Clan background for the Dragoons.  Wolves on the Border shows that the Dragoons not only have ample spare ‘Mechs (so they can loan one to Minobu Tetsuhara), but that they have the capacity to make more on Hephaestus Station and/or buy more from GM/Blackwell.  The only possible explanation is that Hunnel was a Spheroid.  Perhaps he was a Dragoon adoptee or, more likely, one of Anton’s liaison officers to the Dragoons, embedded with Natasha’s company.

The prologue scene is undated, but Historical: Brush Wars places the 3rd Ducal Guard, 12th Atrean Dragoons, Beta Regiment, Gamma Regiment, and Kerensky’s Company on Calloway VI in November 3014, facing off against the 6th Defenders of Andurien, the 1st, 2nd, and 6th Oriente Hussars, and the 2nd Brigade of the Fusiliers of Oriente.  In the scene, one of the Marik ‘Mechs bears the insignia of the Fusilers of Oriente.

Historical: Brush Wars notes that Janos had been using Calloway VI as the main assembly point for a task force intended to crush the rebellion.  Lacking accurate intel, Anton launched Operation CONDOR to disrupt the staging area, but sent only four rebel/mercenary regiments to battle five loyalist ones.

The Dragoons acquitted themselves well, shattering the 6th Oriente Hussars, but the Ducal Guards and Atrean Dragoons were ambushed and destroyed when additional Oriente regiments poured out of a network of hidden bunkers, leaving two Dragoon regiments to face twice their number of angry loyalists.  (Given the mention of bunkers, this is probably the period during which the prologue is set – the Dragoons probably managed to capture one of the bunkers that they use as a shelter from the exploding Griffin.) 

The Historical mentions that Kerensky’s company held off the 2nd Oriente Hussars for an hour in some canyons during the retreat to the DropShips’ landing zone near a refinery, and the scenery in this prologue comic would seem to indicate that sort of terrain (not to mention the comment about “giving the Colonel more time,”) but the insignia of the 2nd Brigade rather than the 2nd Hussars argues that it must be a prior battle.  Since Jaime Wolf wasn’t ever on Calloway VI, “the Colonel” is almost assuredly Jeremy Ellman, commander of Beta Regiment, who would go on to resign in 3016.
« Last Edit: 04 October 2013, 00:24:08 by Mendrugo »

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #471 on: 26 September 2013, 07:17:27 »
----- Later the Same Day -----

Date: November, 3014

Title: Natasha’s Surprise

Author: Scott Oehler

Type: Scenario (The Spider and the Wolf)

Synopsis: After fighting free of the loyalist forces, the Dragoons withdrew to a refinery where their DropShips had landed.  Natasha’s company (what’s left of it) is assigned as an Omega Company to hold back the Oriente troops until Beta and Gamma regiments can board their DropShips.  They face a mixed-weight loyalist company (presumably the 2nd Oriente Hussars, per Historical: Brush Wars). 

Kerensky’s troops can all begin as hidden units.  Both sides have the goal of destroying enemy ‘Mechs (gaining 1 victory point per ton of ‘Mech destroyed), while each side loses 20 points per oil tank destroyed, and loses 30 points per machinery building destroyed.  Natasha’s side gets 1 point per ton per enemy remaining after turn 10, and the loyalists get 1 point per ton for each ‘Mech it gets off the southern border before the end of turn 10. 

The wind shifts randomly every turn, and the refineries have a chance of exploding if they’re set on fire.  The scenario ends at turn ten, and points are totaled.

Notes: This is evidently not the battle shown in the prologue, because there’s nobody named “Hunnel” on the Dragoon roster (nor a Griffin), and Natasha’s command lance is down a member, fielding only three ‘Mechs, and the ambushers are hidden in sand dunes rather than in a river.

Natasha’s force puts an extraordinarily inept Natasha Kerensky (Piloting 4, Gunnery 4) at the head of the Black Widow Company.  This is an anachronism, given that (per "The Memory of Pain") she didn’t take that moniker until after Joshua Wolf’s death the following year.  Kerensky’s force averages a gunnery of 3.8 and has a total weight of 505.  The 2nd Hussars field 550 tons with an average gunnery of 3.72.  So Kerensky’s force is both outweighed and outclassed (a little).  The ability to ambush does give the Dragoons a chance to even up the odds by getting in a surprise first strike.

The oil refineries are a definite factor to consider.  The map’s somewhat hard to read (being oddly split halfway down), but there doesn’t appear to be a route through the refinery without passing next to multiple refinery buildings.  If either side wants to shoot one in the hopes that the splash damage will take out an enemy ‘Mech, keep the following in mind:  splash damage is only 10 points, so unless the target it on its last legs, it probably won’t be finished; and any additional refineries that explode as a result of that first fire will count against your final score.  If the Hussars are pushing past the Dragoons en masse, then sure, blow the refineries and hope for the best, but otherwise, it’s a losing strategy.

The Hussars, on the other hand, might actually want to trash a portion of the refinery early on.  The splash damage might reveal some hidden Dragoon ‘Mechs, and the smoke will make it easier to get through the defensive line and off the target edge without being hit, especially given that Kerensky’s company appears to only be Regular at this point, in terms of skill level.

The Dragoons have ten ‘Mechs – enough to form an unbroken line across the 8-hex-wide map.  I’d recommend having a lineup of hidden ‘Mechs on the north side of the refinery, with Ikeda’s Archer and Sheridan’s Crusader not hidden, but placed back among the refinery buildings.  Those two can provide a long range barrage on the enemy as they approach – possibly goading their lighter units into rushing and running into the ambush line. 

The Hussars should probably lead with their heaviest troops – the BattleMaster, Marauders, Thunderbolt and Rifleman, while the Phoenix Hawks, Valkyries and Wasps hang back.  Once the ambush is tripped, they can rush ahead for a breaching attempt.  If you lead with your lights, they’re likely to die in the ambush, whereas the BattleMaster can take what the Dragoons dish out and return it in kind.

Natasha's skill scores in this scenario are somewhat questionable.  I personally doubt that a Clan born/bred/trained warrior who'd managed to win the coveted Kerensky bloodname at a very young age could have done so with abilities so far off the Clan standard.
« Last Edit: 26 September 2013, 21:19:17 by Mendrugo »

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #472 on: 27 September 2013, 10:54:03 »
----- 3 Months Later -----

Date: February, 3015 [See Notes]

Synopsis:  Precentor Vesar Kristofur debriefs the First Circuit about the events of Calloway VI and Wolf’s Dragoons in general at ComStar HQ on Earth.  (Hilton Head, presumably)  He notes that the Dragoons successfully retreated from Calloway VI, then describes their service to House Davion on Halloran V and New Aragon before disappearing in 3009 “beyond the Periphery,” only to return later in the year with a vast cargo of replacement ‘Mechs and spare parts, using JumpShip models not seen since the early 2800s.

Primus Tiepolo is stunned by the news of new ‘Mechs, parts and designs.  The implications of the mercenaries having control of a heretofore unknown ‘Mech factory stagger him. 

Kristofur continues, stating that the Dragoons bade Prince Andrew farewell in 3010 and switched to House Liao, battling Marik’s forces to a halt in 3012 and then sitting garrison in 3013.  In mid-3014, the Dragoons joined Anton’s rebellion.  Tiepolo notes that ComStar engineered Anton’s revolt to crash the Marik Eagle’s exchange rate against the C-Bill, with Kristofur taking advantage of Anton’s mental instability to manipulate him.

Kristofur claims to have discovered the key to the Dragoon suppliers – based on Natasha’s last name, he surmises that she must be descended from Aleksandr Kerensky, who left with “hundreds of scientists and technicians” and all the ‘MechWarriors still loyal to him, causing the Inner Sphere to collapse into the Succession Wars and resulting in scientific stagnation.

He believes the Dragoons are in league with Kerensky’s group – something that could threaten ComStar’s hold on the Successor States.  He proposes launching a plan to force the Dragoons make another supply run sooner than they planned for, then follow them to their point of origin.  Primus Tiepolo approves.

After the briefing concludes, Precentor Matten (not sure if it’s a first or last name) disparages Kristofur as arrogant, and warns Tiepolo of the consequences if Kristofur succeeds.  Tiepolo dismisses the idea, saying that Kristofur lacks the subtlety to exploit such a victory.  As he departs Hilton Head, Kristofur muses that, should his plan succeed, he’ll be well positioned to displace Tiepolo and reign as Primus Kristofur.

Notes: The dates in “The Spider and the Wolf,” when given, are wildly out of synch with the official ones in Historical: Brush Wars.  Kristofur places the Dragoon defeat at Calloway VI “six months ago,” which would put this scene in May 3015.  However, by May 3015, Anton is dead and his rebellion is over, so that just has to be chucked out.  Subsequent scenes synch up with those in “The Memory of Pain” in late February, so this “ComStar plotting and scheming” interlude probably takes place in early February 3015.

If the art is accurate, Jaime Wolf was beardless and sporting a rather severe buzzcut when he arrived in the Inner Sphere in 3005.  Of course…if the art is accurate, then Aleksandr Kerensky had a full head of hair, an eyepatch, and a penchant for raiding Liberace’s closet.

Interestingly, only Primus Tiepolo and two other Precentors are present to hear Kristofur’s deposition, so this wasn’t a full session of the First Circuit. 

One wonders why two high-ranking ComStar officials would be touting the party line that Kerensky was responsible for the Inner Sphere’s technological decline, when both would be very well aware that ComStar’s own Operation HOLY SHROUD played a leading role in that process.

There’s so much wrong with this scene, and yet so much right.  On the downside, the date can’t be correct, nobody’s wearing proper robes/hoods, the seating in the First Circuit chambers is clearly only designed for the Primus and two aides, not the full First Circuit.  Plus, somehow Precentor ROM Kristofur has Prince Andrew running the Federated Suns, when he died of natural causes in 2999, leaving Ian running the show in 3010.  And yet...despite not appearing to be connected to the proper chronology at any two consecutive points, Kristofur has hit upon the true origins of the Dragoons, 36 years before the "big reveal" on Outreach.  (To all those who say that McEvedy's Folly and the Ebon Magistrate are too obvious ties to some of the last Wolverine leaders - Sarah McEvedy and Trish Ebon - and that nobody trying to hide their origins would use those names for anything, I give you...Natasha Kerensky.)

Tiepolo seems astounded that the Dragoons might be connected to Aleksandr Kerensky’s group.  So…was Tiepolo not a dues-paying member of the ComStar cabal that (per canon rumor) met elements of Clan Wolverine and took them in?  This is like the President in “Independence Day” not having been briefed on what really goes on at Area 51.

The First Circuit also seems overly impressed with new ‘Mech designs, considering that the MLN-1A Merlin debuted in 3010 from Mountain Wolf BattleMechs, and nobody at ComStar freaked out about that.  More to the point, at least one Imp was in service on New Aragon in 3008 – before the supply run – so the Dragoons were fielding new ‘Mechs from the get go, not just since the resupply.

I wonder where the Dragoons went on their first supply run?  If they were gone less than a year, that would imply that they either went to the place where they stashed their WarShips and loaded up, or that they had a command circuit lying in wait to spirit them back to the Clan Homeworlds for debriefing and resupply.

The internal politics of ComStar are interesting to watch play out.  Tiepolo seems to be a frequent target for overthrow attempts – first with Kristofur and then with Waterly.  It’s sort of like this is the Star Trek “Mirror Mirror” chain of command – “Tiepolo dies and we all move up in rank!”  (Hmmm…maybe that’s why Aleksandr is sporting a goatee in this picture – he’s the Mirror Universe Aleksandr Kerensky!  And, logically, beardless Jaime Wolf is also the Mirror Universe version.)
« Last Edit: 27 September 2013, 19:59:38 by Mendrugo »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #473 on: 27 September 2013, 21:00:38 »
All fairness of The Spider and the Wolf, this was arguabling one first times we'd as the fans saw images of any of these characters.  I wish they still made graphic novels/scenario books like this.  Its one of the things that drew me into Battletech in the first place.

Anyways, i was under the impression that the hovecars that Kristofur was flying around in was actually Manhattan. I thought it said so in the book.  Fuzzy memories i guess.

Anywho, it was still great book and frankly old canon, until something else replaced it.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #474 on: 27 September 2013, 21:35:02 »
All fairness of The Spider and the Wolf, this was arguabling one first times we'd as the fans saw images of any of these characters.  I wish they still made graphic novels/scenario books like this.  Its one of the things that drew me into Battletech in the first place.

Anyways, i was under the impression that the hovecars that Kristofur was flying around in was actually Manhattan. I thought it said so in the book.  Fuzzy memories i guess.

Anywho, it was still great book and frankly old canon, until something else replaced it.

Artist/Author Gideon certainly can't be faulted for his "Dread Pirate Kerensky" interpretation, given the dearth of reference material when he was working on it.  Canonically, it's entirely possible that is a holo of Aleks, (He'll never live down that Nagelring Halloween ball...   ;D ) though why Precentor ROM would use such a non-representative holopic for his PowerPoint, I dunno.

The cityscape certainly looks like a major city (high-rise skyscrapers, etc.), but the intro says "ComStar Headquarters on Earth" which would have to be Hilton Head.  Super high-rise skyscrapers seem to be the rage all over the planet.  Background art on various covers shows towering skyscrapers looming over the Kremlin in Moscow and over Big Ben in London, and the Liao/Marik secret meetings on Terra were held at an arcology (high-rise residential tower/office mix) in Kashmir.  So there certainly could be high rises in Hilton Head, especially if it serves as ComStar's primary administrative hub.

I'm taking the events as canon, but the timeline has been superseded by that in Historical: Brush Wars.  The ComStar sourcebook also has an alternate interpretation of the sequence of events on pp. 50-52.
« Last Edit: 27 September 2013, 22:05:30 by Mendrugo »

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #475 on: 28 September 2013, 05:53:00 »
A few comments I've been meaning to make for some time:

Chronology I: I always took the scenario to take place immediately after the death of Bobby Hunnel in his Griffin's explosion. The missing fourth man in Kerensky's command lance just screams Hunnel, and the scenario in question was included in the Comic after all.

Chronology II: "Six months" may be an error for "six weeks".

ComStar freaking out about new Dragoon 'Mechs vs. Merlin: The Merlin was a periphery creation and largely overlooked. The Hatchetman was later lauded as the first truly new 'Mech in the IS (not the periphery...) in a century, glossing over the Super Wasp and Super Griffin that apparently never made mass production. My take on it was that the Merlin is a low-tech design that makes extensive use of existing technology and general BattleMech modularity, much like the Cataphract seems to have evolved from a mutated Ost-Mech with a Marauder arm tacked on. Essentially, only a re-arrangement of known components.
Plus, the Dragoons gave the impression that they could build new 'Mechs, which was unheard of from mercenaries.

Dragoons & Kerensky's lost army: The sheer number of prominent SLDF surnames among the Dragoons, combined with their flashy equipment, just screams hoax. People probably believed they were another group of mercs who had stumbled across a big SLDF warehouse and taken on famous names to make an impression. Not entirely unheard of - another case was the Team Banzai bunch who adopted identities from a 20th century movie as part of their unit identity in 3015...
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #476 on: 28 September 2013, 08:46:57 »
Chronology I: I always took the scenario to take place immediately after the death of Bobby Hunnel in his Griffin's explosion. The missing fourth man in Kerensky's command lance just screams Hunnel, and the scenario in question was included in the Comic after all.

I considered that, but Historical: Brush Wars says that the refinery battle was against the 2nd Oriente Hussars, and one of the Marik 'Mechs in the prologue scene sports a Fusiliers of Oriente insignia.  Plus, if the battle at the refinery happens just after Hunnel exploded, then how are up to 100% of Natasha's company starting as hidden units?  The mention of taking shelter in a bunker recalls the hidden bunkers mentioned in Historical: Brush Wars, which were used by the Oriente troops to bushwhack the rebel regiments, so the prologue most likely happens during that fighting, and followed by the rear-guard action at the refinery as the Dragoons withdraw (the scenario).  The missing slot in the command lance still fits, since it's later in the same day (or perhaps the following day) and Natasha hasn't had a chance to replace lost personnel.

Chronology II: "Six months" may be an error for "six weeks".

That could be, but we still don't know when in November the Calloway VI battle took place.  For "six weeks" to be correct, it would have to be in the latter half of the month, since Kristofur refers to the rebellion starting "last year," so they're at least in January 3015 in the scene on Terra.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #477 on: 28 September 2013, 10:38:22 »
----- Later That Same Month -----

Date: February 25, 3015 [See Notes]

Synopsis:  At Dragoon HQ on New Delos (the Edel Compound), a still beardless Jaime Wolf chews out a MechWarrior named Koniev for multiple crimes, including theft of regimental funds.  He gives him a choice of volunteering for duty with Captain Kerensky’s unit or immediate exile from the Inner Sphere.  Natasha assigns him to Ikeda’s fire lance.

Afterwards, Jaime tells Joshua and Natasha that he’s worried someone is trying to sabotage the Dragoons.  Secret messages have been circulating among Anton’s top aides questioning Dragoon loyalty.  He plans to discuss the matter with Anton the following day.  He asks Natasha to make sure her Widows are kept on a tight leash to avoid creating additional difficulties with the Captain-General.  Natasha responds that she wishes he’d said something before she gave evening passes to two of her lances.

In the city of Edel, Lt. Takiro Ikeda and his lancemantes Lynn Sheridan, Arthur Williams and Mirth Harlowe are cruising Sin Street when Sheridan decides to enter a local bar and start some trouble.  While Mirth hooks up with a dimwitted MechBunny named Muffy, Lynn provokes a fight with rebel Marik MechWarriors Percy MacArthur, Crutch Branan, and Dirth Parmenter. 

Back at the Dragoon base, Natasha and Joshua Wolf are enjoying some quality time between the sheets, and Joshua lightheartedly proposes marriage, though Natasha appears reluctant.  They’re interrupted by a comm-signal, alerting Natasha to the developing situation with Takiro’s lance. 

On Sin Street, Ikeda takes out Sheridan himself to keep her from killing any of the locals, and they retreat outside into the street.  Unfortunately, that’s where the chagrined Dragoons find a furious Natasha Kerensky waiting for them. 

Notes:  This scene is undated, but per "The Memory of Pain," Jaime's meeting (the following day) with Anton takes place prior to March 2nd, leaving us with few options - all close to the end of February.  Joshua and Natasha are in bed together on February 27 in "The Memory of Pain," but Natasha's hair is in a ponytail on that occasion, while it's loose in this scene, so the 25th works for me, putting Jaime's meeting with Anton on the 26th and having "The Memory of Pain" (which actually has proper datestamps) kick off on the 27th. 

Jaime’s options for punishment are extremely suggestive – “Exile from the Inner Sphere?”  So misbehaving Dragoons get shipped back to the Kerensky cluster as dezgra?  (They couldn’t just maroon them somewhere in the Periphery, since there’s a risk they could hook up with pirates and spill the beans.)  It appears that Zeta Battalion is no longer the go-to penal unit it was in "Making a Name," now that Natasha has an independent command.

As drawn, the guards escorting Koniev are a head taller – almost certainly our first canon view of Elemental phenotypes.  (Which is odd, since the unit was made up of Freeborns.  I guess enough Elementals flunked out of their sibkos and joined the ranks of the Laborer Caste over the years to spread Elemental genes through the civilian Clan population.)

Jaime’s reference to “the Widows” is an anachronism, since “The Memory of Pain” establishes that Natasha hadn’t yet picked a name for her company by this point.

MacArthur’s jibe about Sheridan being a “two-credit” hooker sounds odd, since nobody uses a “credit” for commerce in the Inner Sphere.  He should be referring to her either as a “two-eagle” or “two C-bill” hooker.

Art-wise, the anti-bionics bias doesn’t appear to apply here.  The guy in the first panel has a bionic arm and…chin?  His drinking buddy has a cybernetic eye.  The vibe is very cyberpunk, with mohawks and mirrorshades in abundance.
« Last Edit: 28 September 2013, 10:45:51 by Mendrugo »

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #478 on: 28 September 2013, 10:54:02 »
the unit was made up of Freeborns.

Not entirely, though.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #479 on: 29 September 2013, 08:23:35 »
----- The Same Day -----

Date: February 25, 3015 [See Notes]

Title: Not a Drop to Drink

Author: Scott Oehler

Type: Scenario (The Spider and the Wolf)

Synopsis:  This MechWarrior 1st Edition RPG scenario simulates the Sin Street bar brawl between Ikeda’s Fire Lance and rebel Marik MechWarriors.  It pits the four Dragoons against eight locals.  The Dragoon player’s objective is to get out of the fight alive and without getting caught by Natasha Kerensky.  If they’re caught, she’ll make them wash the whole company’s ‘Mechs by hand.

Notes: The Marik MechWarriors are probably part of Anton’s First Ducal Guard, which was the only non-mercenary force garrisoning New Delos at this point, per the deployment tables in Historical: Brush Wars

The brawling rules in MW1E were pretty sparse, so this scenario adds damage tables for fisticuffs, knives, broken bottles, chairs, tables, and thrown objects.  The scenario intro recommends adapting it as a template for any bar brawl your characters get into.

The setup implies a time limit for the Dragoons to evacuate the bar before Natasha arrives to bust them, but no fixed turn of arrival is provided.  Presumably the GM can just spring her whenever they feel like, making the players have to come up with something creative to avoid her notice.

The date given is “Late Hours (unsure) 3014,” which has to be chucked out.  This is set on the night before Jaime Wolf meets with Anton Marik and rejects his demand to break up the Dragoons.  Historical: Brush Wars puts that meeting solidly on February 26, 3015, so this has to take place on February 25, 3015. 

There’s no info on setup, so that’s up to the GM.  This is more a roleplaying exercise than a tactical scenario in any event.  Looking at the damage lists, the first thing any side wants to do is start throwing tables, since they do more damage than anything else on first use (before they break).  After the tables are used up, Takiro and Mirth should just start throwing punches, which do as much damage as any of the remaining weapons, while the rest should start breaking bottles and getting stabby.  On the Marik side, Percy and Dirth are likewise best off punching, since they have high BODY scores and good Brawling modifiers, while Crutch should start knifing people.  Their goon-squad backup is weaker, but have decent Brawling skills.  Broken bottles and/or knives would be their best bets, since chairs take twice as many MPs to pick up and only deal 1 additional damage point (and that only on the first use).
« Last Edit: 29 September 2013, 08:31:22 by Mendrugo »

Register