Author Topic: Chronological BattleTech Fiction Review - The Succession Wars  (Read 484444 times)

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
Re: Chronological BattleTech Fiction Review - The Succession Wars
« Reply #630 on: 27 November 2013, 15:13:31 »
ComStar trying to make the Dragoons look bad, maybe?
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #631 on: 27 November 2013, 21:27:08 »
Dragoon intel isn't infallible. They'd gone into Dixie in "Good Fighters" expecting only militia.  With Teddy K. moving from unit to unit so quickly at this point, it would be easy for the intel to be stale.  (Plus, the dialogue among the troops indicates that they think Teddy is onworld, just not at the remote Sibitsu station.)

If the Dragoons got some fresh Freebirth warriors to replace combat losses, I could see them not doing so hot against infantry using irregular tactics, if all they've known up to that point is ritual combat.  The level of disdain and disregard would be overwhelming, and they wouldn't expect any serious threat.  (They did, after all, competently take apart that armored column and the entire Sibitsu station garrison.)  As far as the Marauder armor being something special, Wanabe only recognizes that because she's a mecha fangirl who obsesses over the details.  The other troops (and most Spheroids) had no idea original Marauder armor was anything special.  The Marauder armor isn't that obvious LosTech, except to an expert like Wanabe.

As for the paint jobs, it's possible that these Marauders had just been broken out of the supplies brought back, and thrown into action before getting Dragoon insignias.  They're probably just lucky they had camo paint covering their original Clan Wolf insignia.

Wanabe also notes that the captured Marauder has "No insignia.  Even the normal manufacturing information is missing."  If these were relics from ComStar's warehouses, they'd have the original Star League serial numbers.  Only Marauders made in Clan space would lack the Inner Sphere manufacturing information, being newly built post-Star League.
« Last Edit: 29 November 2013, 06:12:54 by Mendrugo »
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #632 on: 28 November 2013, 03:11:18 »
Well. I can't prove you wrong, but this time I'm not convinced by your arguments either. Wolf's Dragoons being the unknown attackers in this story just feels wrong, and while not impossible I regard it as rather unlikely.

"Infallible" was more a reference to the out-of-universe depiction of the can-do-no-wrong Dragoons, as is most of my line of argumentation.
The anthology is from 1988, the same year as the novel Riposte that revealed a first glance at ComStar's secret army of mysterious white 'Mechs. And here, too, we're dealing with mysterious white 'Mechs...
ComStar has proven to be able to to replicate Death Commando 'Mechs right down to their serial numbers, so they'd be able to remove these markings altogether from black ops 'Mechs.
When you argue that they could have been from a Brian Cache then the same line of argumentation could be used in favor of any party who found a Star League cache, anywhere. It doesn't have to be Dragoons. (And cached 'Mechs would invariably have to be of Star League manufacture; I'm not aware of any Clan manufacture of Marauders.)
But, iirc, these 'Mechs aren't unpainted, primer-painted, or in original Star League colors. They are white, unless I' misremembering.

The author hasn't penned more BT stories so there's no lead here either.

As far as the Marauder armor being something special, Wanabe only recognizes that because she's a mecha fangirl who obsesses over the details.  The other troops (and most Spheroids) had no idea original Marauder armor was anything special.  The Marauder armor isn't that obvious LosTech, except to an expert like Wanabe.
This, too, I disagree with. The original lostech armor is explicitly mentioned in TRO3025 which in turn is an in-universe document freely handed out by ComStar to (also) disseminate some subtle misinformation.
« Last Edit: 28 November 2013, 03:33:00 by Frabby »
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #633 on: 28 November 2013, 04:19:14 »
Well. I can't prove you wrong, but this time I'm not convinced by your arguments either. Wolf's Dragoons being the unknown attackers in this story just feels wrong, and while not impossible I regard it as rather unlikely.

"Infallible" was more a reference to the out-of-universe depiction of the can-do-no-wrong Dragoons, as is most of my line of argumentation.
The anthology is from 1988, the same year as the novel Riposte that revealed a first glance at ComStar's secret army of mysterious white 'Mechs. And here, too, we're dealing with mysterious white 'Mechs...
ComStar has proven to be able to to replicate Death Commando 'Mechs right down to their serial numbers, so they'd be able to remove these markings altogether from black ops 'Mechs.
When you argue that they could have been from a Brian Cache then the same line of argumentation could be used in favor of any party who found a Star League cache, anywhere. It doesn't have to be Dragoons. (And cached 'Mechs would invariably have to be of Star League manufacture; I'm not aware of any Clan manufacture of Marauders.)
But, iirc, these 'Mechs aren't unpainted, primer-painted, or in original Star League colors. They are white, unless I' misremembering.

The author hasn't penned more BT stories so there's no lead here either.
This, too, I disagree with. The original lostech armor is explicitly mentioned in TRO3025 which in turn is an in-universe document freely handed out by ComStar to (also) disseminate some subtle misinformation.

They're described as having a "sand and olive" camouflage paintjob (see attachment), not white.  "Naiku stifled a laugh.  Instead of the sand and olive tones he'd expected, the 'Mech was an explosion of brilliant colors."  The art also confirms a desert camo paint scheme.

I grant you, the use of suicide pills and self-destruct switches would be out of character for the Dragoon line regiments.  The last group we saw using those tactics was the Minnesota Tribe.  (The Fidelis also used such tactics, so it seems to be part of the Clan SOP for covert ops.)  Still, it may just have been the 7th Kommando up to their standard black-ops tricks.  (Keep in mind that the 7th Kommando troops aren't invulnerable ninjas either - they got hit hard and scattered with significant losses on Hesperus II, and they die in droves sending out the evac message in Wolves on the Border.)

Hmmmm.  Perhaps the Tribe sent a team up to the Combine to bag Theodore on the margins of the Dragoon attacks.  If the Tribe was still intact at this point on their baseworld near the Magistracy of Canopus, they might have been rather intrigued by the appearance of Wolf's Dragoons, though I can't figure what they'd stand to gain by bagging Teddy K.  (ComStar either, for that matter.)  The Dragoons have documented presence in the same area where Theodore was serving as a sho-sa and had combat contact with units he served with in that capacity.  They also have motivation, being under Lyran contract.

As far as the Marauder armor goes, the fact that only Wanabe recognizes that the armor is out of place on he modern battlefield probably means that the others were checking out the centerfold in Buso-Sensei Weekly while she was reading technical manuals.  (Also, TRO:3025 is still four years away from publication at this point, so perhaps the Marauder armor trivia wasn't yet widespread knowledge.)

One justification I can think of for having the 7th Kommando pull off a covert strike to bag Teddy K.  They were still hoping to get a follow-on contract with the Draconis Combine to finish their mission of evaluating Spheroid military readiness.  If they openly deliver the Coordinator's heir to the Lyran Archon, that would probably start the "Death to Mercenaries!" era early and make it impossible for them to complete their mission.
« Last Edit: 28 November 2013, 04:25:20 by Mendrugo »
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #634 on: 28 November 2013, 05:14:47 »
The entire set up just does not say Dragoons.  Two Maruaders?  That's it?  If it's really the 7th Kommando, it would take a single sniper team a few weeks on an extended stalk to do the same trick, and for less expense in every form.

The Dragoons may not have been Shining Paragons of All that is Good and Right in the Universe, but they weren't sloppy, and this is about as sloppy as it comes.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #635 on: 28 November 2013, 06:20:22 »
They're described as having a "sand and olive" camouflage paintjob (see attachment), not white.  "Naiku stifled a laugh.  Instead of the sand and olive tones he'd expected, the 'Mech was an explosion of brilliant colors."  The art also confirms a desert camo paint scheme.
Whoops. In this case, apologies for making wrong and misleading statements! Must have mixed that up with some other "mysterious attackers" incident.

(Also, TRO:3025 is still four years away from publication at this point, so perhaps the Marauder armor trivia wasn't yet widespread knowledge.)
<facepalm>  :-[ That's actually a very good point, assuming that your timing is right. But, as you wrote, based on Theodore Kurita's purported rank it can't be later than 3023 so the point stands.

Still, Scotty summed up my feelings about this attack. The execution is way too sloppy for the Dragoons.
We're looking at a party with enough zeal to actually carry suicide pills into battle and use them just to curtail their involvement, but beyond zeal they don't appear to be particularly competent as MechWarriors. And they have Star League era Marauders. They probably hoped the lostech would somehow make good for their other shortcomings. Even with my earlier arguments partly dismantled I still don't see the Dragoons here. ComStar, Wolverines, Loki, Tyr, what-have-you... but not the Dragoons of all people. On that, we'll have to agree to disagree. :)
« Last Edit: 28 November 2013, 06:23:46 by Frabby »
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #636 on: 28 November 2013, 06:44:47 »
There were three Marauders to begin with, but one got taken down by a Scorpion during the battle against the armor column.  I would surmise that the DCMS force was company strength in the column, with another company at the outpost, so those three Marauders took out two companies of troops before falling victim to a creative infantry squad setting booby traps.  (Most likely there was a fourth Marauder that succumbed to battle damage during the initial fight at the outpost.)  The text doesn't portray the pilots as incompetent - in fact the DCMS troops note their admiration for the Marauder pilot's dedication.  The Marauder pilots also probably held back from simply blasting the buildings into rubble because they were trying to capture Theodore, and thought he might be with the squad.

They also comment that it's very unusual for a mercenary to commit suicide.  (But then, the 7th Kommando aren't exactly stock mercenaries.)

The DCMS troops at one point note that "they must have heard the same rumor we did" about Teddy K being in the vicinity of the outpost.  If they got rumor-level intel shortly after hitting the ground, they may have simply dispatched one Heavy lance to check it out.  (They may have wanted to dispatch more, but the 2nd Sword of Light's ambush of Delta would have tied up most of their reserves.)

Cranston Snord was from the same background as the Dragoons, and he had no qualms kidnapping a member of the ruling Marik clan and presenting him to Katrina Steiner.  Perhaps Jaime wanted to one-up Cranston.

I admit that the suicide pill and self-destruct mechanism call all sorts of things into question.  All we know for sure is that a well-financed organization with suicidally dedicated operatives and access to pristine Marauders went gunning for Theodore between mid-3018 and 3023.  Both ComStar and the Dragoons have the necessary assets (ComStar has their Castle Brians full of loot and ROM operatives, while the Dragoons have their Brian Cache re-supplies and the 7th Kommando).  ComStar agents would be willing to die to further the wishes of the Blessed Blake, while the Dragoons would be willing to die to improve their codexes and get a line in the Remembrance.  Both organizations could have gotten the Marauder lance into Theodore's vicinity.  So, for me, it just comes down to motivation.  The Dragoons were working for the Lyrans, so bagging the enemy heir would be more to brag about, and do a lot to restore their aura of invincibility after the failure at Hesperus II. 

I just can't see ComStar's angle on this one.  Primus Tiepolo was a very conservative leader, and came down hard on subordinates who overreached.  This just doesn't sound like him.

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #637 on: 28 November 2013, 09:45:01 »
With the discovery that the Arkab Legions were still operating Star League era tech in the 3rd Succession War being from a much later publication, I take it that it's basically impossible for this to be some sort of rogue DCMS element/warlod appropriating equipment from the Legion to use in some kind of powerplay?

I'm also thinking someone like Duke Ricol could be a candidate, as he's presented in the Gray Death Legion books as having all sorts of contacts - including elements within ComStar - and the GDL books are pretty old in terms of provenance.

It's more interesting than optimal, and therefore better. O0 - Weirdo

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #638 on: 28 November 2013, 11:35:56 »
It’s not clear exactly what the Grenadiers have to do to destroy the NAIS building.  No info on its type of construction (Light -> Hardened) or CF score is given.  I’d make it a 120 CF hardened building, since it’s intended to survive splashes of magma.

Well, if you look at the Deployment section, it mentions a heavy building.  ^-^
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #639 on: 28 November 2013, 12:14:26 »
With the discovery that the Arkab Legions were still operating Star League era tech in the 3rd Succession War being from a much later publication, I take it that it's basically impossible for this to be some sort of rogue DCMS element/warlod appropriating equipment from the Legion to use in some kind of powerplay?

I'm also thinking someone like Duke Ricol could be a candidate, as he's presented in the Gray Death Legion books as having all sorts of contacts - including elements within ComStar - and the GDL books are pretty old in terms of provenance.

I could certainly see the Arkab Legion having Star League vintage Marauders, but not ones with pristine armor.  The only way to get that is from an SLDF cache, a ComStar warehouse, or a Brian Cache.

Ricol certainly could have had access to exactly this sort of equipment, but not until he cleans out the Nagayan Mountain facility on Helm in 3028 (well after Theodore's sho-sa stage).

Marcus Kurita would have had the motivation to try to eliminate Theodore, but he wouldn't have had access to pristine Marauders.

The Council of Gems had access to some LosTech (a white noise broadcaster/jammer), but the attempt to kill Takashi was apparently their first (and last) major operation.  Plus, Theodore's continued survival and marriage to Anastasia Sjovold was part of their plan.

ComStar under Tiepolo wanted to preserve balance among the Successor States as they ground each other down.  By 3021, they'd certainly be aware of the positive FedSuns response to Katrina Steiner's peace proposal.  With the FedSuns and LyrCom allying, the last thing they'd want to do was weaken the Combine by kidnapping the Coordinator's only heir. 

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #640 on: 28 November 2013, 12:16:08 »
Well, if you look at the Deployment section, it mentions a heavy building.  ^-^

Whoops, missed that in the Game Setup section.  Is this one of yours?  I'm happy to give credit where credit is due.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #641 on: 28 November 2013, 12:20:54 »
----- 1 Month Later -----

Date: September 14, 3021

Title: Wolves on the Border

Author: Robert Charrette

Type: Novel (Wolves on the Border)

Synopsis: Tai-i Minobu Tetsuhara of the 2nd Sword of Light leads Reconnaissance Company Gold into battle in support of the Dromini Ducal Armored Hussars – an armor unit belonging to the planetary militia.  The company command lance consists of Tetsuhara, Kemsai and Akuma in Panthers, and Gibbs in an Ostscout.  Cresting a rise, Tetsuhara sees that Tercian’s Company of the Hussars (Pegasus hover tanks) has been wiped out by a single enemy ‘Mech – a battered blue and gold Archer.

Minobu orders his command lance to form up and advance on the Archer.  As they close, he notices that it is behaving sluggishly.  Gibbs, piloting the lance’s Ostscout, reports that the Archer has overheated.  Minobu orders a halt, eliciting a protest from Jerry Akuma, who wants to close and destroy the enemy.  Minobu reminds Akuma that the dictates of bushido forbid them to engage such a capable warrior when his equipment will not respond.  He orders a retreat so that they may later engage the warrior at his peak.

Akuma tells Tetsuhara that his devotion to bushido is insane, but capitulates to his command.  Minobu activates his speakers and salutes the pilot’s prowess and courage, exhorting him to die in battle as a true warrior.

Notes:  Honestly, I’m with Akuma here.  An enemy pilot of great skill has just exposed himself in the process of wiping out an entire company of your army, and you fail to eliminate him as a threat?  What about your giri to the Combine, Tetsuhara?  Or if not to the Combine, at least to your fellow soldiers whom this enemy will go on to kill.

The Archer pilot is, of course, Jaime Wolf.  Tetsuhara’s decision to spare his life will have massive consequences for the course of history for the entire Inner Sphere.

The Dragoon sourcebook reports that Alpha, Delta and Epsilon regiments assaulted Dromini VI, which was garrisoned by the 3rd and 22nd Dieron Regulars.  Theodore was probably with one of these regiments in September 3021, having transferred from the Arkab Legion to seven Dieron Regulars regiments – spending no more than four months in each.  Lyran intel failed to alert the Dragoons to the presence of the 2nd Sword of Light.  Epsilon engaged the 3rd, and Alpha fought the 22nd.  Delta, in reserve, ran afoul of an ambush from the Sworders, and was forced to retreat with heavy losses.

Tercian’s company found Wolf’s command lance in what they had thought was a secure valley.  The sourcebook clarifies that Tercian’s company consisted of damaged Pegasus-class hovercraft backed by a few damaged ‘Mechs.  The other members of his lance destroyed most of the tanks, but got scattered in the process.  Wolf only destroyed two Pegasus hovertanks and one Blackjack before overheating and shutting down, so Tetsuhara’s assumption that the Archer alone was responsible for wiping out Tercian’s entire company is inaccurate.  The 2nd Sword of Light’s counterattack against the Dragoons faltered, and their reinforcements were ambushed by three Donegal Guards regiments.
« Last Edit: 29 November 2013, 02:57:01 by Mendrugo »

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #642 on: 28 November 2013, 12:26:48 »
Whoops, missed that in the Game Setup section.  Is this one of yours?  I'm happy to give credit where credit is due.

Yup, all mine.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #643 on: 29 November 2013, 03:00:24 »
Yup, all mine.

Did you also do "Lead Rainmakers" and "Jumping the Diamond Shark?"

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #644 on: 29 November 2013, 12:32:59 »
Did you also do "Lead Rainmakers" and "Jumping the Diamond Shark?"

Yup.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #645 on: 29 November 2013, 12:54:36 »
Yup.

Cool.  I've updated my index and the individual entries to provide attribution.

How come your name isn't attached to them on BattleCorps?  Was that by design?
« Last Edit: 29 November 2013, 12:58:18 by Mendrugo »

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #646 on: 29 November 2013, 13:02:50 »
----- 2 Weeks Later -----

Date: October 3, 3021

Title: The Protector

Author: Dale L. Kemper, Blaine Lee Pardoe, Anthony Pryor & John Theison

Type: Scenario (Sorenson’s Sabres)

Synopsis: The 12th Lyran Guards faces off against the 5th Sword of Light on La Blon as the Commonwealth tries to retake the planet.  As the 1114th Assault Group (two lances of the 39th Fire Company – The Fire Walkers) engages an equivalently sized force – Sorenson’s Sabres, they down Clay Moretti’s Phoenix Hawk LAM in the first volley.  Sorenson’s force moved aggressively to save their fallen comrade, trying to drag the LAM off the field.  Historically, they shredded the Lyrans and withdrew from the battlefield with no losses.

The Sabres field 380 tons (including a Samurai AeroSpace fighter, but not counting the downed LAM), while the Lyrans field 375 tons, with pre-existing damage.  To win, the Sabres must drag the LAM off the southern map with fewer than two casualties.  The Lyrans win by causing more than one casualty, or by preventing the LAM from being dragged off.

Notes:  This scenario highlights the small-unit nature of the Third Successon War.  Large, multi-regiment battles like New Aragon and Mallory’s World were the exception.  Most military actions were company-on-company affairs, sending raiders against small garrisons.  (Pretty much the ideal format for BattleTech games.) 

The scenario notes that the 12th Lyran Guards were subsequently stricken from the LCAF rolls.  Searching through the sourcebooks, this appears to be the only mention of that unit, so the assault on La Blon was its swan song.

La Blon is a tropical world with three small island landmasses in a vast sea.  It is a favorite vacation spot for tourists.  It supplements the tourist trade with mining, light manufacturing, and agriculture.  The WizKids INN writeup for La Blon states that it was lightly raided during the Succession Wars, but these did little to mar the world’s natural beauty or disrupt the local economy or infrastructure. 

This idyllic picture doesn’t quite square with this scenario’s mention that the Kuritans conquered the planet and that the Lyrans are invading to take it back.  Since it’s a Steiner world circa 3025, the invasion must have been successful, despite the poor showing of the 12th Guards.  The Steiner sourcebook says that Operation FREEDOM liberated La Blon (along with Lyons, Skondia, and Baxter) by 2997, only after the longest, most resource consuming of campaigns.  It seems the Combine subsequently retook it in the 3000s or 3010s, forcing the LCAF to liberate it once again in the early 3020s.

Strategy-wise, this would seem to be a very, very simple scenario for the Lyrans to win.  Just shoot the LAM.  Having two lances concentrate on an immobile LAM should result in a flaming heap of unrecoverable slag in a round or two, and then you’ve won the scenario.  Given this reality, I can’t think of any way for the Sabres to reach their victory condition, unless their opponent is a classic Lyran social general who doesn’t think of this option and opts to try to slug it out.  (Hoooogaaaarrrrrrth!!!!)
« Last Edit: 29 November 2013, 13:06:28 by Mendrugo »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #647 on: 29 November 2013, 13:12:40 »
La Bon was featured in MWDA Novel Masters of War to some extensive detail.  Stackpole depicted the world having extensive underwater cities and industry while trying preserve the surface areas from over development.   Alaric Wolf (later Ward-Steiner (Hidden Davion)) was taken prisoner down there for meeting of mercenary commands of Prefecture IX.

Is there any maps of La Blon?   I can imagine there isn't alot info on the underwater stuff, but that certainly make a interesting scenario under the seas.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #648 on: 29 November 2013, 13:22:54 »
Cool.  I've updated my index and the individual entries to provide attribution.

How come your name isn't attached to them on BattleCorps?  Was that by design?

Yeah, I don't think they give credit to those like they do stories.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #649 on: 29 November 2013, 22:44:11 »
I asked Herb about "Painting the Town," and he said that the Dragoon/Dromini VI/3021 theory was "possible."  It's certainly not a confirmation, but on that basis, I'll stick with that date/place/force for this review series.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #650 on: 30 November 2013, 08:07:52 »
----- 1 Month Later -----

Date: November, 3021

Title: Trial by Combat

Author: Richard Meyer, Walter Hunt, Lisa Hunt & Evan Jarrison

Type: Scenario (The Fox’s Teeth)

Synopsis:  Following a seven week field campaign against DCMS invaders on New Ivaarsen, the mercenary Narhal’s Raiders is fed up with facing the Combine troops alone and with minimal parts and ammo support while AFFS regulars garrison the world’s three fortified cities.  Captain Lewis Gilbert decides to ignore further orders from the AFFS and defect to the Combine.  Before the Raiders can jump ship, however, they’re approached by a lance from the recently arrived Fox’s Teeth company.  Its leader, Karl Ryder, proposes a duel between himself and Gilbert to determine what course of action Narhal’s Raiders takes.  If Ryder wins, the Raiders stay on New Ivaarsen, while House Davion will guarantee safe passage offworld if Gilbert wins.

Ryder engages Gilbert’s damaged Warhammer in a pristine Crusader.  Ryder gets a +2 on Initiative rolls, but may not use aimed shots against the Warhammer’s head, and may not fire any weapon that has the potential to completely destroy the Center Torso or Head with a successful hit.  Using what appears to be the earliest version of Battle Value, each unit gets a Total Damage Capacity (TDC) rating – 1 point for each armor point, 2 points for each Internal Structure point, 5 points for each Critical slot, and 10 points for each engine/gyro hit bubble.  The Crusader has a TDC of 733, and the Warhammer gets a TDC of 749.  Ryder will surrender if he takes 484 points of damage on the TDC scale (but only if the Warhammer has taken less than 247 TDC damage), while Gilbert will surrender if he takes four pilot hits or more than 494 points of damage on the TDC scale.

Notes:  Strategy-wise, I’d advocate for the Crusader to start out at long range, using the superior Initiative to stay outside of the Warhammer’s PPC range while peppering it with LRMs.  Once the LRMs are exhausted, I’d advise closing and trying to use the Initiative advantage to work in close and get behind the Warhammer.  Since four pilot hits will force Gilbert to surrender, kicking to make the Warhammer fall down would be a great idea, since it forces a PSR to avoid pilot damage.  Using Initiative, it should be possible to approach from the sides or rear, where the Warhammer wouldn’t be able to kick back.  Physical attacks have the advantage that they aren’t restricted like weapons fire is – no matter how damaged the Head or CT gets, you can still punch or kick.

For Gilbert, if you can figure out how to reduce the Warhammer’s head armor to 1 point right off the bat, he’d have this scenario in the bag, since the Crusader would be reduced to machine guns and physical attacks for the rest of the fight.  Failing that, back up against a high hill to protect your backside and force the Crusader to come to you, keeping it from dropping LRMs on you from beyond your effective range.  Until/unless he gets up close and personal, your PPCs give you an edge in direct fire, and if you can keep him in your front arc, your kicks are the more damaging.

Narhal’s Raiders is referred to as a regiment at one point in the scenario, and as a battalion elsewhere on the same page.  Gilbert is only a Captain, a rank usually associated with Company command.  In its 3025 profile in the Lyran Commonwealth sourcebook, Narhal’s Raiders is listed as a two-regiment force with armor, fighter, and DropShip support under a long term contract with the Lyran Commonwealth (having served continuously with them since 2860).  Its commander is Leftenant-General William Matthews.  One possibility is that the Lyrans loaned the Feddies a battalion of the Raiders as one of the first steps of the military cooperation that stemmed from Hanse’s response to Katrina’s peace proposal.  Since a Captain is running that battalion, it may be the case that the Major who was in command died in action, putting the senior Captain in charge.  Though that still wouldn’t explain why Gilbert wanted to defect to the Combine rather than just returning to the Commonwealth to rejoin the rest of the Raiders on the Marik border.

The scenario background also indicates that the New Ivaarsen garrison was forting up at the three cities (Twin Peaks, Bluthe, and Fluute) to protect the grain harvest, under the inexperienced command of Lieutenant Commander Arlin Stuart (comfortably ensconced in an underwater Command and Control center protected by a force of Neptune submarines).  Looking at the 3025 TO&E, New Ivaarsen was garrisoned by the Elite/Fanatical 1st New Ivaarsen Chasseurs, under the command of Marshal Nicholas Stephenson, who also served as the overall commander of the Robinson PDZ.  How did Stuart get command of the New Ivaarsen defenses instead of Stephenson, since Marshal far outranks Lieutenant Commander?  (In fact, Lieutenant Commander isn’t even an AFFS rank – Stuart should probably be referred to as a Lieutenant General or Leftanant General, which is still three grades below Marshal.)  One possible explanation is that, since the scenario mentions a major Combine offensive in the region, that all the senior commanders in the PDZ were busy defending other worlds like Robinson and Le Blanc.

Looking at the map, it must have been a serious DCMS offensive indeed, since to seriously threaten the Robinson PDZ, Combine forces would have to go through the Raman PDZ first (unless they made it a deep raid and relied on uninhabited systems for their supply train).  TRO:3026 indicates that the attackers on New Ivaarsen were the 5th Galedon Regulars, the personal unit of Warlord Grieg Samsonov.  That means that the push probably came from the Galedon District border, across the Galtor thumb.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #651 on: 30 November 2013, 08:56:55 »
La Bon was featured in MWDA Novel Masters of War to some extensive detail.  Stackpole depicted the world having extensive underwater cities and industry while trying preserve the surface areas from over development.   Alaric Wolf (later Ward-Steiner (Hidden Davion)) was taken prisoner down there for meeting of mercenary commands of Prefecture IX.

Is there any maps of La Blon?   I can imagine there isn't alot info on the underwater stuff, but that certainly make a interesting scenario under the seas.

There's no map, but the INN world profile (http://bg.battletech.com/download/DarkAge_Republic_Worlds.pdf) has a fair amount of information about the world. 

« Last Edit: 01 December 2013, 00:59:37 by Mendrugo »

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #652 on: 30 November 2013, 16:02:35 »
Heh. I'll bet their national anthem is "Under the Sea" from The Little Mermaid.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #653 on: 01 December 2013, 06:43:40 »
----- Later That Month -----

Date: November 28, 3021

Title: Remaining Unperceived

Type: Short Story (25 Years of Art and Fiction)

Synopsis:  Mickey Rearden and his partner Sol are infantry grunts at the Hiakru-Weller Training Facility on Hoff, coming out of a three-hour lecture on Combine ninjitsu techniques.  Mickey would rather have gotten tactical lectures on the Eagle Corps, Death Commandos, or even DEST, as he dismisses stories of ninjas as bunk.  Mickey is on guard duty, protecting a facility where NAIS researchers and Team Banzai are field testing the Hatchetman prototype and other new technologies, including an oscillation overcompensator.

Mickey and Sol are on the night shift, guarding the bunker housing the prototype oscillation overcompensator.  They conclude a perimeter sweep with a check on the bunker.  Sol thinks he hears something, but the pair can see nothing in the gloomy hallway.  Mickey checks the overcompensator and verifies that it’s intact, then turns to see a female ninja drop from the ceiling and decapitate Sol with a garrote.  Mickey notes with surprise that he’d been planning to kill Sol and steal the overcompensator (so things aren’t going according to plan).

The ninja attacks Mickey with a LosTech monomolecular-edged blade that effortlessly slashes away his metal armor.  The ninja dislocates Mickey's elbow and shoulder and shatters his humerus, but he manages to knock her sword out of the air with the palm of his hand on the flat, and the spinning blade slashes her throat.

Mickey’s sense of victory is short-lived, as a second ninja appears and punches him in the face, knocking him out.  Before he loses consciousness, he sees the ninja take the overcompensator and leave a dummy in its place, then walk out.  He also feels someone bandaging his wounds before the medics arrive, and wonders why an enemy agent would save his life.

Notes:  The Hoff research facility was established by the NAIS in 3019 at the abandoned Friden Aerospace Park.  In addition to the ninja raid to steal the overcompensator in 3021, Wolf’s Dragoons hits the facility in April/May 3022, going up against the Eridani Light Horse.  Aside from field testing the Hatchetman and developing the overcompensator, the Friden Aerospace Park research facility is known for its development of the Super Wasp (equipped with a supercharger) and Super Griffin (equipped with “freezer” double heat sinks and improved jump jets) in 3020.

Since the Gray Death data core is still buried under Nagayan Mountain on Helm, these advancements (overcompensator, supercharger, freezer, improved jump jets, whole-head ejection system, etc.) are probably from the Halstead Station books.  Most of the recovered LosTech tends to get lumped in as being from the Helm core, but this demonstrates that the Halstead collection played an equally important role in military technology advancement a decade ahead of the Helm core.  We can probably also add triple-strength myomer (and the catalyst that causes it to burst into flame) to the list of Halstead collection-based advances.

I'm intrigued by the description of the ninja's weapon as a LosTech monomolecular-edged katana (referred to as a monomole katana for short).  The RPG books only include stats for a standard katana and a vibrokatana.   The katana has an armor penetration rating of 1 and does 2D6 damage, while the vibrokatana has an armor penetration rating of 5 and does 3D6 damage.  Monowire has an armor penetration of 4 and does 5D6 damage as a garrote.  For this LosTech blade, I'd suggest giving it the slightly lower armor penetration rating than the monowire (3) and the same damage as a standard katana (2D6).  The vibrokatana is better all around, but the monomole katana doesn't require a power source.  The rationale for having less AP than monowire is that monowire has some vibro-technology incorporated in addition to being one molecule thick, while the monomole katana lacks vibration.
« Last Edit: 02 December 2013, 22:41:18 by Mendrugo »

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #654 on: 01 December 2013, 23:08:49 »
Pondering the story further, I wonder exactly what an oscillation overcompensator might be for...

An oscillation compensator generally works to stabilize a system by pushing back against incoming movement, somewhat like an active shock absorber.  Logically, an oscillation overcompensator would push back against an incoming force with greater strength than the incoming force, rather than just an equivalent amount of force.  I can see a standard oscillation compensator being used with a gyro for additional stability (perhaps giving a +1 bonus on PSRs to avoid falling), but wouldn't an overcompensator actually make the system less stable overall?

Perhaps this is an early component of the technological path that led to the development of mechanical jump boosters, since it would be good to push back with greater force when the unit lands, helping it spring for its next kangaroo-like leap.  Perhaps the theft of the prototype set things back, explaining why the mechanical jump booster technology didn't mature until the 3050s.
« Last Edit: 01 December 2013, 23:10:58 by Mendrugo »

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #655 on: 02 December 2013, 03:22:29 »
My first idea were IJJs, which were prototyped here on the Super Griffin.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #656 on: 02 December 2013, 06:48:42 »
My first idea were IJJs, which were prototyped here on the Super Griffin.

Checking the XTRO: Succession Wars entry, it says the Super Griffin was fielded by 3020, so the IJJ technology (the prototype, highly explosive, superhot IJJ technology) seems to have predated the prototype overcompensator.  (Though perhaps the overcompensator was being developed to address the drawbacks of the IJJ system, and its theft prevented further progress in that vein.)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #657 on: 02 December 2013, 07:57:50 »
In some way, the oscillation overcompensator, sounds likes a forerunner for the AES.  It steadies the arm actuator or the leg, to allow for more precise usage.  -1 to anything is in the leg/arm and that counts for phsyical as well as weapons in limb.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #658 on: 02 December 2013, 10:40:11 »
----- 2 Months Later -----

Date: February 1, 3022 [See Notes]

Title: Remaining Unperceived

Type: Short Story (25 Years of Art and Fiction)

Synopsis: Mickey finishes relaying the report of what happened at the Hiakru-Weller Training Facility the previous November to an associate.  Mickey suffered severe damage to his left hand and lost his right arm during the fight, and is on a disability pension.  For his valor in attempting to protect the overcompensator, he was given the Badge of Valor and Medal of Valor, pinned on him by Duke Aaron Sandoval himself.

The conversation reveals that Mickey was, in fact, a Maskirovka mole at the research center.  He’d been planning to let a Mask operative into the bunker to steal the overcompensator, but got rolled by the two ninjas before his backup arrived.  The dummy overcompensator left in the bunker was filled with distinctive green sand from the Marik world of Bordon – an attempt to pin the theft on the Eagle Corps.  The Mask agent sealed Mickey’s wounds so he didn’t bleed to death and extracted unseen.  Mickey’s Mask handler says that the interference by House Kurita wasn’t his fault, and orders him to continue as a mole inside the AFFS, so he can pass intel to House Liao. 

Mickey goes on to collect intel, but as of the end of the story, hasn’t decided whether to feed it to the Mask or not.  All he really knows is that “if anyone mentions ninjas to him again, he will kill them.”

Notes:  Duke Aaron Sandoval has two prosthetic legs.  One might think that he’d be more sympathetic to someone else who lost limb functionality in the line of duty, and offer to spring for the kind of myomer replacements he enjoys, rather than just hanging a gong around Mickey’s neck and packing him off with a pension.

February 1, 3022 is the date Mickey filed his report with the AFFS.  It’s unclear how much later the meeting his his Maskirokva handler took place.  The story itself is being told from a perspective of months or years later, as Mickey recounts he’s picked up valuable intel by hanging around Veterans’ hospitals and military bases. 

The successful infiltration of the Hoff research facility by the Mask would seem to indicate that Alexi Malenkov (Alex Mallory) hasn’t yet penetrated the Maskirovka at a high enough level to start compromising its operations.  Once he gets into position, Mickey’s days as a Capellan mole in the AFFS are numbered.

The Maskirovka's forgiveness of Mickey's failure to obtain the overcompensator represents a key procedural difference between Max Liao and Romano.  If this had happened under Romano, Mickey would have been executed for his failure, regardless of extenuating circumstances.
« Last Edit: 02 December 2013, 12:47:46 by Mendrugo »

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #659 on: 02 December 2013, 12:29:21 »
It seems like they already know Mickey's a Mask agent. What better way to quietly get rid of a mole than to pension him off?