Author Topic: Chronological BattleTech Fiction Review - The Succession Wars  (Read 484436 times)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Re: Chronological BattleTech Fiction Review - The Succession Wars
« Reply #750 on: 13 January 2014, 21:03:39 »
Isn't the MW1 story considered non-canon along with the Crescent Hawk's Revenge?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #751 on: 13 January 2014, 22:38:40 »
Isn't the MW1 story considered non-canon along with the Crescent Hawk's Revenge?

Herb once stated that the events of the games, having been developed by third-parties (Infocom, Activision, Microprose, Microsoft, etc.) are not considered part of the core canon of the BattleTech universe.  However, the overarching story of the games (particularly the earlier ones - Crescent Hawks' Inception/Revenge and MechWarrior) can be considered to have happened in the BattleTech universe, as long as it doesn't directly contradict anything in an official sourcebook/novel and makes sense.

Both Jeremiah and Jason Youngblood have made cameos in canon products (Jeremiah is listed in the Kell Hounds TO&E in their scenario pack, and Jason and the Crescent Hawks appear on Luthien in Blood Legacy).  The Crescent Hawks also appear in Jihad-era BattleCorps products (one story and one scenario).

Likewise, the story of MechWarrior 3 has been canonized via a BattleCorps serial, the planet Silver from MW3 Pirates' Moon has appeared on the maps, and the name change from Carver V to Liberty in MechCommander 2 has been reflected on the official maps.  "The Dragon Roars" scenario pack lists the Operation BIRD DOG attack on Port Arthur (from MechCommander) as a canon event.

On the other hand, the endings of MechWarrior 2 (featuring either Jade Falcon or Wolf 'Mechs standing on Luna looking down at Earth) are non-canon...unless those scenes take place at the tail end of the Jihad during the liberation of Terra, or during the upcoming IlClan sourcebook events.  Likewise, the mobile surface-to-orbit guns that are the key objectives in several MechCommander scenarios (Rattler IIC?) and the use of Spheroid bondsmen as garrison auxiliaries don't really fit the Smoke Jaguar ethos and so would be considered non-canon unless formally canonized in a fiction or sourcebook writeup.

(The Rattler IICs are borderline, IMHO, since the Smoke Jaguars canonically had SDS batteries on both Huntress and Tranquil, though the Huntress control system was sabotaged before Task Force Serpent invaded.  If the Jaguars were preparing for a new offensive into the Inner Sphere in 3060, they might have built these as a shoestring SDS to safeguard their staging world while their line forces were pushing into the Combine.)
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #752 on: 14 January 2014, 02:32:27 »
Actually, it was Mendrugo himself who wrote that fluff from the game can essentially be considered canon if it wasn't contradicted by later canon, and makes sense. Herb then positively agreed to that statement with Line Developer hat on. (See citations on Sarna's article about Canon.)
Credit where credit is due, Mendrugo!  ;)

As to how far exactly this goes... personally, I'm always loathe to regard something as non-canon. To take your examples from above, the MW2 game endings could well be any planet - I don't recognize any telltale earth features (continents).
I'll have to replay the game eventually to note down details on its storyline(s), and check for canon consistency, but overall I'm fairly confident that the setup and mission briefings can be taken largely at face value. Minus the energy shields mentioned at one point, and of course the real battles would have been far more balanced instead of one "player" cutting a swath of destruction through dozens of enemy 'Mechs per battle.
Oh boy, and I'm really looking forward to doing this with Ghost's Bear's Legacy!

Btw, where did you get those Blazing Aces and Dark Wing logos from? For my Sarna writeups, I had to make do with a screenshot of the former and a scan of the latter.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #753 on: 14 January 2014, 02:38:25 »
Btw, where did you get those Blazing Aces and Dark Wing logos from? For my Sarna writeups, I had to make do with a screenshot of the former and a scan of the latter.

The Dark Wing logo came from a scan of the game manual that I later colorized.  It doesn't quite match the logo shown on the exploding Warhammer on the box cover (I tried to grab that from a picture of the cover and clean it up, but it was too low-rez), since that had red wings with yellow borders, rather than the "bat wings" mentioned in the manual.  I tried to keep that color scheme intact by giving that mix to the triangle behind the skull.  (I tried giving the wings a hue-shift to red/yellow, but didn't like the results, so I kept them black.)

For the Blazing Aces, I grabbed it off a fan-site about nine or ten years ago.  I see several similar items doing a google image search now, but nothing that matches the one I use.
« Last Edit: 14 January 2014, 02:51:27 by Mendrugo »
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #754 on: 14 January 2014, 11:59:01 »
----- One Month Later -----

Date: April, 3024 [See Notes]

Title: Fog of War

Author: William H. Keith, Jr.

Type: Scenario (Tales of the Black Widow Company)

Synopsis:  The Black Widow Company and other Dragoon forces join a House Kurita task force assaulting the marginally-habitable desert world of Klathandu IV.  The offensive swiftly degenerates into a series of skirmishes between small detachments, battling for control of scattered settlements around oases and shallow seas.  The Black Widow Company’s Recon Lance engages a lance of the Third Davion Guards.  The Widows deploy a Rifleman, Phoenix Hawk, and two Stingers, for 145 tons.  The Third Guards’ Delta Patrol deploys a Griffin, a Shadow Hawk, and two Wasps, for 150 tons.

The goals for each lance are determined by either choosing or randomly rolling on table for a primary and a secondary objective – resulting in each side keeping their objectives secret from each other.  The scenario is generous – both sides can win if they achieve at least one of their objectives.  If they achieve both, they win a Decisive Victory.  If they accomplish both objectives and wipe out the enemy or keep them from achieving any of their objectives, they win a Spectacular Victory.

Notes:  The Third Davion Guards is profiled in the House Davion sourcebook, but isn’t listed on the TO&E, so it’s certainly possible that they were stationed on Klathandu IV.  Circa 3025, the 3rd Guards RCT is understrength, lacking two infantry regiments and one armored regiment – possibly a result of losses taken in 3024 on Klathandu IV.  The TO&E lists the 4th Crucis Lancers RCT as the Klathandu IV garrison circa 3025 – perhaps they were rotated in to replace the 3rd Guards while the battered Guards withdrew to rebuild.

There’s some suspicion that Klathandu might be a semi-garbled shout out to Starship Troopers, which features the world of Klendathu as the bug homeworld (“It’s an ugly planet, a bug planet!”)  It’s certainly not the only such shout out.  If you look at the Infiltrator Battle Armor illustration in the color plates of Field Manual: Federated Suns, you’ll notice that the name-plate on the armor reads “CMD J. Rico” (The main character of Starship Troopers is Johnny Rico.)

Though the world is predominantly a gray wasteland of boulders and scrub, interspersed with stretches of red sand, the planetary government nonetheless launched a tourism campaign advertising the world as “sunny” and “a great vacation spot.”

I’d give the edge in this engagement to the 3rd Guards.  They have the mobility needed to get behind the Rifleman and smash through its miniscule rear armor.  The Wasps and Stingers are evenly matched, but the Griffin and Shadow Hawk outmass the Phoenix Hawk by ten tons each, and should be able to take it out once the Rifleman is down.   

The scenario is undated, but it is close to Proserpina, so it makes sense to be the Widows' next target.
« Last Edit: 14 January 2014, 12:00:32 by Mendrugo »

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #755 on: 16 January 2014, 14:26:18 »

Date: May, 3024 [See Notes]

Title: The Lady and the Tiger

Author: J. Andrew Keith

Synopsis:  Captain Roger “The Tiger” Tregarth leads a company of Helmar Valasek’s Death’s Head Raiders against Thule, with the objective of stealing water from a frozen-over lake.  Apparently, Valasek managed to get spies inside the Combine Military Coordination Office that passed them information on targets.  The ISF discovered the spy, and used the now compromised intel network to lead Valasek’s raiders into a trap. 

The Death’s Head Raiders field nine damaged ‘Mechs weighing a total of 435 tons.  The Dragoons field their full company (12 ‘Mechs, 590 tons), though only the Command Lance is on the board to begin with, on the western map, with the other two lances entering on turn three and turn five, respectively, on the eastern edge of the eastern map.  The Raiders start practically on top of the Command lance, on the Western map.

The winner is the one that eliminates the entire OpFor.  Blizzard conditions apply.  Every round, visibility is determined by rolling 2d6, and units cannot move more than that number of hexes.  If the 2d6 roll comes up less than 7, PSR and firing modifiers are added as if the unit was attempting to walk through a water hex.  The lake hexes are frozen solid, and are treated as regular open terrain.

Notes:  This scenario is undated.  My date of May 3024 is arbitrary.  The scenario itself is somewhat apocryphal, since it places the Black Widow Company 13-15 jumps away from their standard Operational Area to fight pirates, rather than taking the fight to the Federated Suns.  The Wolf’s Dragoons sourcebook dismisses the Thule scenario as “a legend.” 

My speculation is that the battle actually took place, but that the unit involved wasn’t the Black Widow Company.  I postulate that it was actually the ISF’s elite “Sword of the Void” MechWarrior unit in ‘Mechs selected and painted to look like the Black Widow Company.  The Combine did exactly this during the attempt to force the Dragoons into succumbing to the “company store” scheme and permanently joining the DCMS, so it’s entirely possible that they started doing it earlier to capitalize on the Widows’ reputation, while maintaining the operational secrecy of the Sword of the Void unit.  (The AFFS did something similar, having the Wild Geese on contract, but regularly having them repaint their ‘Mechs to carry out false flag operations and sow disinformation.)  Such tactics give a convenient out for units appearing at the wrong place at the wrong time.

On a nice, clear day, the Dragoons would be massacred in this scenario.  However, the unique blizzard conditions (substantially different than today’s standardized Blizzard rules) make it possible for the Widow Command lance to evade the Death’s Head Raiders until its reinforcements arrive and turn the tide.  The Dragoon command lance should move east as quickly as possible to hasten the arrival of reinforcements.  Once you have weight and numerical superiority, counterattack.

For the Death’s Head Raiders, you should use your highly mobile Griffins, Phoenix Hawks, and Stingers to swarm the Dragoon command lance immediately.  Surround the Dragoon ‘Mechs and kick.  With luck, you’ll take out some legs, or at least force PSRs and make them fall, further delaying their link-up with their reinforcements.  Your mobility will be hammered if the blizzard roll is low, but you should be able to use your full jump movement more than 50% of the time.  Go nuts firing, since your heat sinks will be running at double strength nearly half the time (due to the under-water effect on a 6 or less).

Helmar Valasek’s Death’s Head Raiders, operating out of Santander V, were fluffed in the Periphery sourcebook as running a Murder Inc. operation, using a vast intel network to secure assassination and extortion contracts.  Perhaps the death of a company of his most elite raiders taught Valasek the folly of sending ‘Mechs on water raids, and prompted the shift in tactics.  (And why the Raiders couldn’t simply have started loading up snow from the freaking blizzard, if taking ice from a frozen lake was going to be so problematic, I dunno.)

The sourcebook writeup for Thule mentions that “Thule’s primary industrial city, Accotink City, lies on the shores of Lake Accotink.  The lake’s water is a major component of Thule’s bottled water export business, thanks to its naturally occurring sweetness and heavy concentration of minerals.”  So perhaps the Death’s Head Raiders were on a mission to seize a lake-load of Accotink Mineral Water.  It still sounds pretty weak as pirate booty goes, ranking right around a cargo hold full of Botany Bay Industrial Sand.

The Death’s Head Raiders aren’t named as such either here or in the Periphery sourcebook (where they’re just called the Pirates of Santander’s World), but the Crusader entry in TRO:3025 gives them this designation.  Other sources have named Valasek's crew "Santander's Killers."  Perhaps the "Killers" were the group assigned to the "murder for hire" missions, while the "Raiders" stuck to more traditional objective raids/resource grabs.
« Last Edit: 29 January 2014, 01:26:08 by Mendrugo »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #756 on: 17 January 2014, 21:04:51 »
Water raids, ahhh got love that old Mad Max sort of future outlook of things.  Its too bad thats thing of the past. I can't imagine people still living on barely waterless worlds and still not need someone coming in with extra water than the rations being offered by their controlling interstellar owners.   If handled correctly, a Pirate MAY be able to do enough business of selling stolen water if they get specialized dropship like the Aqueduct-Class Liquid Carrier to haul the stuff around.

Colony must be darn small if they're that badly off and have something worth while be living on the rock to afford buy from Pirates.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #757 on: 17 January 2014, 21:45:05 »

Date: June, 3024 [See Notes]

Title: Leave No Survivors

Author: William H. Keith, Jr.

Synopsis:  During a raid on Doneval II, Ikeda’s Fire Lance of the Black Widow Company assaults a Meistmorn Academy Cadet Cadre, out on patrol.  The cadets field five Stingers, while their instructor, Major Sergei “Death’s Head” Vang, pilots a Shadow Hawk – fielding a total of 155 tons.  Vang was severely burned during a battle with the Dragoons in an earlier battle on Sakhara V.  Ikeda’s force consists of two Archers and a Wasp (total: 160 tons).  Ikeda’s goal is to completely wipe out the cadet force, while Vang’s troops win if even one gets off the west edge of the map.

The cadet skills are awful, with gunneries ranging from 4 to 6, and piloting from 5 to 8.  Vang has a gunnery of 2 and a piloting of 4.  The Dragoons have gunneries of 3, 4, and 4.

Notes:  Interestingly, Mercer Ravannion’s Horde formation was abandoned by the Combine in 3023, and here it is being used by the AFFS a year later.  They even use Stingers.

The only sourcebook date reference to this battle is in TRO: 3025, which places it in 3021.  Since the Dragoons were under Lyran contract at that point, and the Lyrans were in the midst of alliance negotiations with the Federated Suns on Terra at that time, it’s pretty much outside the realm of possibility for that date to be accurate.  I’ve placed it in June 3024, since Major Vang previously fought the Dragoons on Sakhara V (probably just after the May 3023 Hoff raid, since it’s right next door), and putting it in mid-3024 gives him a year to have recovered from his injuries and taken up residence as an instructor at the Meistmorn academy.

The Stinger entry in TRO: 3025 notes that during a raid by the Dragoons on Doneval II, the Black Widow Company ambushed a Meistmorn Academy cadet cadre piloting Stingers.  When a female cadet at the core of a romantic triangle (pentagon?) was disabled, the other four cadets in the group ran to her defense, smacked down a Dragoon Wasp, and rescued their paramour.  This account notes that the Dragoon Wasp was going after the ejected female cadet and trying to kill her, even after she had ejected.  So much for Dragoon honor.  No wonder Wayne Waco found a regiment-worth of troops willing to sign onto his anti-Dragoon “death oath,” since it appears that the Dragoons actually do what he’s accusing them of having done to his son – take extra effort to kill ejected pilots in contravention to the semi-chivalric battlefield code of conduct that developed during the Third Succession War.

The Shadow Hawk entry also references this battle, describing Major Vang as a training instructor at the Meistmorn Academy circa 3025, who is scarred and has lost all his hair as a result of his two encounters with the Black Widow (one on Sakhara V and one on Doneval II).  He is noted to be one of the few to have survived fighting the Widow twice.  To me, this implies that Natasha and her troops intentionally pile up a fairly high body count – not just disabling enemy ‘Mechs, but taking the extra effort to kill the pilots. 

Tactically, this should be a cakewalk for the cadets.  They set up in the middle, so they only have to cross the short width of one map board in 6/9/6 Stingers.  Split into two groups, jump one north into the woods, jump one south into the other woods, then jump them behind the ridgelines, then jump them off.  The scenario’s done in three turns.  (I first saw the folly of a "breakthrough" mission where the escaping side has jump jets when running "Lawyers, Guns, and Money" as a FanPro Commando back in 2003.)  Unless Ikeda’s Archers are ultra-accurate gunners (which they aren't), they’ll likely not be able to land enough hits on the Stingers to take them all out in that short window.  (And a Stinger can even survive a hit from a lucky LRM-20, since the average damage will be 12 missiles in 5/5/2 clusters.)  The Shadow Hawk should go right up the middle, jumping over the water.  By splitting up, you force the enemy to split as well.  As poorly armored as a Stinger is, the three Dragoons are very unlikely to one-shot them all. 

For the Dragoons, you really have to hope the cadets try to stand and fight.  Otherwise, the best suggestion I can give is to bring one Archer in from the north, and one in from the south.  If the cadets split up and go for the edges, launch LRMs at the more distant group, and charge in with lasers and physical attacks at the close group.  If they get scared away from the edges by your presence and make a run down the middle, blast them with LRM racks while the Wasp tries to run interference.  Go for broke and hope you get lucky, even though your Archer pilot gunnery skills are only 3 and 4.  Fire one LRM rack at each cadet, taking the multiple-target penalty, hoping for a crippling hit.  To win, you’d pretty much have to hit with each shot at long odds.
« Last Edit: 20 January 2014, 23:10:27 by Mendrugo »

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #758 on: 17 January 2014, 21:50:36 »
Colony must be darn small if they're that badly off and have something worth while be living on the rock to afford buy from Pirates.

Santander V (aka "Santander's World") has been described as a "desolate rock" and a "hellhole," with a 3025 population of 7,500.  I'm pretty sure the population is a mix of pirates and slaves, and make their living off extortion, scams, raids, and contract killings.

The capital city of Santander's World is Santander's Jewel. Pirate king Helmar Valasek maintains his headquarters at a palace in the city of Vadra, ten kilometers from the Gillard Plains, which are used as a makeshift DropShip landing field.

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #759 on: 18 January 2014, 16:30:14 »
1) Cadets. Under normal circumstances, send them after vehicles and infantry formations and have the training officer get them cover if and when the unexpected occurs...just like in this scenario.

2) Until the story came out, I just assumed that the reason the Dragoons got the all clear after killing John Waco was that they were rich and in all states, being rich gets you places.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #760 on: 18 January 2014, 23:57:42 »
----- Simultaneously -----

Date: June, 3024 [See Notes]

Title: Finals

Author: Lance Hampton

Type: Graphic Novel (BattleTech #4 – Blackthorne Publishing)

Synopsis:  Cadets Jason Kilgore, Chris Adams, Dan Johannson, Stacey Hooper, and Patrick Morgan are MechWarrior trainees at the Meistmorn Academy on Doneval II, under the tutelage of Major Sergei “Death’s Head” Vang.  On the first day of the academy’s final exams, Major Vang leads the cadets on a patrol, looking for signs of Combine activity.

Several hours into the patrol, the squad is ambushed by two Archers (Lt. Takiro Ikeda and Miklos Delius) and a Wasp (Nikolai Koniev) – elements of the Black Widow Company.  Lt. Ikeda offers them a chance to surrender, but Cadet Johannsen responds by opening fire.  The art is somewhat unclear at this point, but it seems that the Dragoon counterstrike takes him out, albeit non-fatally.  As the battle rages, Jason Kilgore is killed when he's thrown free of his exploding Stinger.

Vang and Ikeda face off, and the Shadow Hawk gets the worst of the exchange, ending up prone, legless, and with its laser crushed under the foot of Ikeda’s Archer.  The three remaining cadets (Chris Adams, Stacey Hooper, and Patrick Morgan) head for the woods to regroup, hoping their superior maneuverability will enable them to outfight the Dragoon heavies.  Koniev's Wasp attacks them there, and disables Hooper's Stinger.  Patrick Morgan and Nikolai Koniev face off over the downed Stinger, and Koniev threatens to kill the female cadet.

Something happens, and Koniev's Wasp goes down.  ???  Seriously, I can’t figure out what took place.  Patrick says “I had to make a move.  Any move.”  The next panel shows a pistol floating in mid-air making a “zzzrooom” noise, while somebody (Koniev?) says “Whaaa!?”  Dude – I feel your pain.  I don’t know what happened either.  The story is framed as a reminiscence, probably told at a bar.  The general incoherence of the battle scenes could be attributed to Patrick having imbibed a few too many fusionnaires prior to beginning his tale.

Vang tells the cadets to let the Dragoons withdraw, while Ikeda tells his lance that he (apparently off-panel) promised Vang that he’d withdraw if the cadets managed to defeat the Wasp.  Ikeda then offers Vang “riches and honor” if he’ll join the Dragoons, but Vang declines.  Koniev isn’t happy about withdrawing, and he demands justice, but Ikeda denies his request.

The skirmish ends with Kilgore as the only casualty.  It turns out that Kilgore had disabled Morgan’s laser the previous night, hoping to make Morgan fail the field exercise and look bad in Hooper's eyes, giving Kilgore an edge in the competition for her affections.  Having bonded in the brief combat action, Hooper and Morgan become a couple.  The surviving quartet decide to call their Lance the “Death’s Head March.”  Major Vang says he’s honored by the name.

Notes: This comic story was published in 1988, while the FASA references are the scenario from 1985 and the notes in the Stinger and Shadow Hawk entries in TRO: 3025 from 1986.  This, then, represents a fleshing out of the original source material.  Although author Lance Hampton seems to have used the FASA sources as inspiration, it’s clear that he didn’t delve too deeply into the universe – referring to Doneval II as a planet “located in the House Davion system.”

It looks like my semi-random assignment of “June, 3024” for the date was fairly spot-on, since June is a fitting time for an academy’s final exam period, just prior to graduation.  (Though both Theodore Kurita and Rhean Marik had their final exams in May - we're within a few weeks, and plausible enough.)  If these cadets have completed the full course of instruction and are preparing for final exams, that’s a pretty sad commentary on Meistmorn’s training regimen that at least one still has a piloting score of 8, per the scenario.

The art and lettering credits are given to “D.B. Studios, Manilla.”  Unless they were outsourcing to the Philippines and spelling poorly, this was probably a studio based in Manilla, Iowa.  The character art isn’t terrible, but the ‘Mech art is clearly drawn from reference models, so they appear stiff and posed in the closeups, and minimally sketched in the wide shots.  It’s especially noticeable on page 8, when two Archers are shown standing side by side in exactly the same pose – clearly a copy/paste job.  Starting on page nine (and on the cover), the art abruptly downgrades to eighth-grade margin-doodling levels, and the character facial closeups are much sketchier than it was in the first few pages.  My guess is that D.B. Studios had one pretty good artist on staff who turned in eight pages of work before letting someone of lesser ability finish up. 

By 3028 (the date for the roster in the Wolf’s Dragoons sourcebook, Koniev is piloting a Firefly instead of a Wasp.  Perhaps getting clobbered by raw cadets convinced him to upgrade his ride.  Koniev is portrayed as a criminal who siphoned regimental funds into his own pocket, and was assigned to the Widows as a penal assignment.  Miklos Delius was assigned to the Widows after being found guilty of murdering unarmed civilians at the Battle of Windgate Pass.

Exactly how Outback and poor is Doneval II?  It's fluffed as having a rare and coveted 'Mech Repair Facility and a small academy, but Major Vang apparently just hears rumors of Combine activity in their sector.  So, no updates from planetary defense HQ?  No tracking satellites?  No liaison to the planetary militia?  Just go out and look around and hope you run into something?  The House Davion sourcebook says that the primary role of the Ugly Pugs (Planetary Garrison Units) is to know the local terrain and serve as scouts to direct heavier forces to engage the enemy.  Shouldn't the Pugs have been out in force on one-man Skimmer-class hovercraft, scout cars, and/or reconnaissance planes trying to make contact with the Dragoon raiders and report in, rather than relying on barely trained cadets in their first live fire exercise?
« Last Edit: 20 January 2014, 22:46:24 by Mendrugo »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #761 on: 19 January 2014, 08:53:23 »
Bizarre.  I did like some of the comics.  I wish they were in production, until they really got bad. I'm surprise that this was considered canon enough to be used as a canon articles.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #762 on: 19 January 2014, 10:02:17 »
Bizarre.  I did like some of the comics.  I wish they were in production, until they really got bad. I'm surprise that this was considered canon enough to be used as a canon articles.

This falls into sort of the same category as the computer games.  If it generally fits the universe themes and isn't directly contradicted by canon accounts, then it can be considered to have taken place in the BattleTech universe, but it's not really "primary source" material.  This one has a stronger claim to canonicity than any of the other Blackthorne comics, since it's a straight-up adaptation of a canon scenario.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #763 on: 19 January 2014, 12:42:29 »
This falls into sort of the same category as the computer games.  If it generally fits the universe themes and isn't directly contradicted by canon accounts, then it can be considered to have taken place in the BattleTech universe, but it's not really "primary source" material.  This one has a stronger claim to canonicity than any of the other Blackthorne comics, since it's a straight-up adaptation of a canon scenario.
What about the link to the "lost" or unpublished Blackthrone comic by that artist.  I believe that maybe a fragment of BattleForce lost #3 issue.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #764 on: 19 January 2014, 13:47:40 »
What about the link to the "lost" or unpublished Blackthorne comic by that artist.  I believe that maybe a fragment of BattleForce lost #3 issue.

I can only review what I've got on hand.  Thanks for the link, by the way.  The pages show an Atlas blasting the bejeezus out of a Vindicator, but there isn't enough there to constitute a plot or setting that would justify a review.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #765 on: 19 January 2014, 13:57:54 »
I can only review what I've got on hand.  Thanks for the link, by the way.  The pages show an Atlas blasting the bejeezus out of a Vindicator, but there isn't enough there to constitute a plot or setting that would justify a review.
I understand, there wasn't enough. However the dialog above the first page was insightful about the comic itself.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #766 on: 19 January 2014, 14:00:58 »
I understand, there wasn't enough. However the dialog above the first page was insightful about the comic itself.

Definitely.  From that account, Blackthorne was a haphazardly run fly-by-night comics publisher that did mostly black and white comics for licensed properties. 

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #767 on: 20 January 2014, 05:44:22 »
----- Two Months Later -----

Date: August, 3024 [See Notes]

Title: Life in the Big City

Author: Tara Gallagher

Type: Sourcebook Fiction (CityTech)

Synopsis:  Frank Krieger and Abby Farber are top technicians with Burrow’s Crashing Thunder Regiment hanging out at Maloof’s Tavern on the mercenary R&R planet of Rahway II, in Davion space.  The place is the favored hangout for MechWarriors to drink, sing, and swap war stories.  It is a sign of respect that two technicians have been invited to join the festivities at the generally MechWarrior-exclusive bar.

Lt. Razowski, of Crashing Thunder, tells his men to keep MechWarrior Williams away from Krieger and Farber, due to a recent incident where the techs salvaged sheet metal from a meat packing plant’s delivery trucks as patchwork armor plating, resulting in a Wolverine’s arms reading “Spam,” a Warhammer’s rump boasting “LARD” and the unfortunate Williams’ ‘Mech being labeled “processed chicken.” 

The scene shifts to Kushnir’s Battalion of the 42nd Armored Lightning Regiment, which recently took heavy losses on Pike IV, having been crushed during street fighting in the city of Paramus when a BattleMaster from Pasquesi’s Battalion mugged one of Kushnir’s Phoenix Hawks in an alley.

Back at Burrow’s table, talk turns to how crazy Locust pilots are, and they discuss Locust-pilot Kim Howard and his antics on New Mendham.  Howard skidded through a surprised infantry unit and crashed into a house, which caved in on him.  He ejected and is currently awaiting a new bionic arm and leg.

Sitting nearby is Neil Armstrong Edlemann, an old-timer that some expected to take command of D’Anna’s Regiment someday, though he never did, and is now coming up on retirement.  He talks with his niece, Kate, who stands to inherit his Thunderbolt, and tells her a cautionary tale of Scott Markwell.  In the fight for the city of Parsippany, the rookie raced around recklessly, alpha striking with his Rifleman until it cooked off in an ammunition explosion.  He ejected, but became dispossessed.  Edlemann proposes a toast to the infantry that saved the rookie’s life.

Another MechWarrior responds with a story of Finnegan’s infantry, which took out Tony Barnes’ Rifleman during fighting in the city of Graiset.  The infantrymen wore the Rifleman’s armor down as he smashed through a building trying to reach them, and forced him to eject when his sensors were taken out.  Rumor has it that the Rifleman's pilot is now an infantryman himself.

Notes:  The story (which first appeared in the CityTech rulebook and was later reprinted as a standalone BattleCorps offering) is undated, but it opens with a description of Burrow’s Crashing Thunder Regiment whooping it up to celebrate their victory over the DCMS on Travis V.  TRO:3025’s entry for the Stalker notes that the battle took place in the summer of 3024.  As written, it appears to have just happened, but it’s unclear how Burrow’s people could have gotten back to a Davion R&R world so quickly that they’d still be celebrating their victory and that the other mercenaries wouldn’t have heard about it previously via HPG news reports.  Travis V must have been pretty close to the border, though it’s shown on no maps.

Rahway II is described as a Davion world primarily dedicated as an R&R center for mercenaries in Davion employ.  While it could be a minor world in one of the charted systems, the naming conventions would seem to argue against that.  (Ex: Hesperus II and Solaris VII are in the Hesperus and Solaris systems, respectively, so you’d expect Rahway II to be in the Rahway system.)  Most likely, Rahway is one of House Davion’s hidden staging worlds like Dragon’s Field – not on the maps because it’s just an outpost world with no local government, no real industry, and no civilian population independent of the service personnel at the military R&R facilities.  All the mercs are talking about recent fighting with the Combine, so while Dragon’s Field is in the Capellan March, Rahway II is probably in the Draconis March.

The Federated Commonwealth Civil War sourcebook notes that “though not secret, it is uncommon knowledge that centuries ago the Federated Suns set up recharge stations in uninhabited systems directly connecting regional capitals and other significant systems.”  We’ll see these stations being used in The Sword and the Dagger, and so they probably also connect to worlds like Rahway and Dragon’s Field.  (It makes a lot of sense to have staging worlds along such express transit routes.)

In addition to Rahway II, the “processed chicken” story is said to have happened “on Torwind,” and appears to have happened in the recent past, since Williams is still angry about it.  There’s no world named Torwind on any map (not even the 2764 one, before colonies started dropping out of sight), so either it’s a minor world in another system, or (more likely) “on Torwind” is a reference to the action taking place on the continent of Torwind on Travis V, where the rest of the Crashing Thunder Regiment was recently fighting.  Likewise, Travis V doesn’t appear on any maps.  New Mendham does, though, so Rahway II is probably somewhere in the Raman PDZ, while Travis V is located just over the border in either the Irurzun or Proserpina prefectures, given the quick return to FedSuns space.

Per the material strength table in AToW, sheet metal (whether it says “SPAM” or not) is only BAR 4 armor, but I suppose it’s better than nothing if you’re scrounging.

The attached graphics aren't canon - just something I put together for use in a 3025-era campaign.
« Last Edit: 22 January 2014, 07:47:07 by Mendrugo »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #768 on: 21 January 2014, 17:38:13 »
Wow, thats sounds like a funny story.  I like the part about the SPAM from a delivery truck being used for Wolverine.  That just funny. 

Mendrugo, are those logos for real or just random pictures you've gathered over the years?

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #769 on: 21 January 2014, 22:00:20 »
Mendrugo, are those logos for real or just random pictures you've gathered over the years?

They're not canon.  I just used Google image search to find a logo that sort of matched the name, and then Photoshopped it to be a closer match.  The Crashing Thunder insignia was originally a sports franchise logo, and I think the Pasquesi's Battalion insignia came from an Italian restaurant logo.
« Last Edit: 22 January 2014, 07:20:39 by Mendrugo »

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #770 on: 27 January 2014, 02:50:08 »
New review should post later today - things have been crazy at work lately and what little free time I had was spent on a special BattleTech-related project (details soon).  The chronological fiction review will be back on schedule shortly.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #771 on: 27 January 2014, 13:50:11 »
----- Later That Same Month -----

Date: August 25, 3024

Title: The Ranger Surprise

Author: Dale L. Kemper, Blaine L. Pardoe, Anthony Pryor, and John Theison

Type: Scenario (Sorenson’s Sabres)

Synopsis:  While garrisoning Altais, Sorenson’s Sabres ended up defending Supply Depot 23 against elements of the Waco Rangers.  The Rangers are performing a deep raid under contract to House Steiner.  The Sabres use their superior air support to delay the Rangers long enough for engineers to destroy the entire depot, denying the Rangers their prize.

The Sabres deploy their entire company (670 tons), with backing from the 255th Armored Cavalry (2 Hunters, 2 Vedettes) and the 107th Motorized Infantry Company (3 Motorized Rifle Platoons, 1 Motorized SRM Platoon).  The Waco Rangers field a ‘Mech company weighing in at 720 tons.

The Sabres and their militia auxiliaries need to keep Waco’s troops from entering Hex 0109 for 12 turns to win.  If the building there is reduced to rubble, the Sabres win a partial victory as long as the Rangers’ losses are greater than the Sabres’.  The Rangers win by holding the structure intact at the end of turn 12.  The Sabres may not fire at the Supply Depot structure until an attacking ‘Mech is within eight hexes.

Notes:  Interestingly, an Altasian garrison trooper says he’s never heard of the Waco Rangers before, and assumes they’re an “up and coming” mercenary group.  The Rangers were actually formed about 15 years earlier, and had worked for House Kurita just two years earlier, battling Wolf’s Dragoons.

Tactically, the Rangers would be best served by advancing in a wedge formation up the side, using the hills as cover as they get closer.  Rather than having the lighter units rush in (they’d get slaughtered), have them cover the flanks of the main body, moving quickly and using terrain for cover.  Their firepower won’t be missed, but you’ll need their maneuverability later.  Once the Waco wedge gets nine hexes from the target building, focus all your firepower on any units in or around the building, then send your scouts racing in.  Have the other Wacos stop moving and lay down suppressing fire on the Sabres.  All you need is for one light scout unit to get to the target hex, and you’ve won.

For the Sabres, that same tactic makes the Ranger Stingers, Wasp, and Wolverine the primary threats.  Hit them with strafing attacks, send your Phoenix Hawk LAM as a headhunter, and target them with LRM fire as they approach.  Surround your building with double ring of troops, so that the Rangers will have to punch a hole through if they lose their jumpers. 

From a rules-lawyer perspective, the rules only say the Sabres can’t “shoot” the building to destroy it until the Rangers get within eight hexes.  It says nothing about when they can start kicking it to pieces.  If you allow that interpretation, you can lock in a partial victory well before the Rangers even get into weapons range.
« Last Edit: 29 January 2014, 01:20:53 by Mendrugo »

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #772 on: 28 January 2014, 13:40:07 »
----- Two Months Later -----

Date: October 23, 3024

Title: Spider Trap

Author: William H. Keith

Synopsis:  Following a week of fighting on the world of Coursadin (Remis III), the Black Widow Company is ambushed by elements of the Third Davion Guards and Lindon’s Company as it attempts to effect repairs after being forced to retreat from an assault on an AFFS ammo dump.  The Davion forces win if they kill or capture Natasha Kerensky.  The Widows win if Kerensky escapes off the western edge of the map, and win decisively if at least four of the other six Widows make it off with her.

The Widows deploy three ‘Mechs with a combined weight of 200 tons.  The Davion forces deploy seven damaged ‘Mechs with a combined weight of 365 tons.  On turn 4, a lance of Widow reinforcements arrives, weighing 145 tons, on the western edge of the map board.   

Notes:  There is neither a Coursadin nor a Remis system marked on the 3025 map.  Since TPTB have stated that all inhabited systems are on the maps (at least in the Inner Sphere), that indicates that Coursadin is an outpost world – probably an AFFS staging base like Rahway II and Dragon’s Field, without a local government or much of a civilian population beyond what is needed to sustain the staging base.  Given that these keep cropping up in the fiction, I would hazard a guess that there’s at least one such off-map staging world in each PDZ in the Capellan and Draconis Marches.

If you want to use Unit Special Abilities, the Widows’ “Off Board Movement” isn’t really useful here, but Lindon’s Company would be able to deploy one Wasp as a hidden unit anywhere on the map (even in a Clear hex).  The Third Davion Guards have no applicable special abilities.

Tactically, it’ll be a breeze to get the Griffin, Phoenix Hawk, and Stingers off the map, so all you have to do is get Natasha off with them, and you’re golden.  One suggestion would be to send MacLaren’s Marauder as a rear guard – position it across the Davion line of advance without moving, and use their firepower to slow the Davion forces, paying special attention to hammering the Davion Wasps.  Natasha just has to start running west and making good use of terrain to block enemy shots, and she should be off without significant damage.  The Griffin can serve as an escort, jumping backwards while taking pot shots at any Davion recon elements that come too close.  The reinforcements should race to join Natasha after entering on turn four, then escort her to the edge.  Clavell’s Rifleman should mostly stand still and use its long range guns (AC/5s and the occasional Large Laser) to keep the Davion forces honest.

For the Davion forces, your options are poor.  Your Wasps could certainly catch Natasha, but what are two Wasps going to do against a Warhammer when they catch it?  What you do have in plentiful supply are LRM racks.  Natasha starts out in range – have your Wasps rush in and spot, while the rest of the force launches 145 LRMs per turn at Natasha.  If she’s running, you’ll have a chance at her back.  If she’s making a fighting withdrawal (walking backwards), you’ll have several additional turns to drop the Warhammer with massed volleys. 

If Natasha’s Warhammer is downed, she becomes a battlefield unit that can move on its own and can be picked up by friendly forces.  The Widows may want to keep the Griffin within range to serve as a rescue vehicle should the Warhammer take a bad hit.
« Last Edit: 17 April 2014, 22:08:31 by Mendrugo »

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #773 on: 28 January 2014, 15:07:42 »
There's a bit more to this scenario than meets the eye. In particular, we know the canonical outcome: Natasha Kerensky survived. And it's the last we hear from Owen Lindon, CO of Lindon's Company. He was replaced by "acting captain" Sarah Lindon by the time the House Books (House Davion) went into print; she would become proper unit CO later.
Looks like Owen Lindon became another casualty of the Queen of Spades.

Where is Coursadin/Remis III? I don't know. But there's a mentioning of "Courasin" twice in Wolves on the Border (p. 88 and 101 of my PDF).
The first is when Michi Noketsuna reports to Minobu Tetsuhara on 9 November 3024 that Epsilon Regiment (Wolf's Dragoons) operations on Courasin are complete and that they are en route to their home base on Thestria.
On 12 November 3024 an unflattering film of Epsilon Regiment's "recent action on Courasin" is presented to Jaime Wolf by Warlord Samsonov to demonstrate how Dragoon officers had violated the chain of command and arrogated command responsibility to themselves, in what is obviously a plot to enforce Samsonov's direct control over the unit (which is then rebuffed by Tetsuhara).

Could it be that Remis III has different names in the Draconis Combine and the Federated Suns?
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #774 on: 28 January 2014, 22:57:57 »
Excellent catches, Frabby.  Much appreciated.

The different spelling (Coursadin vs. Courasin) explains why my keyword search didn't pick up the Wolves on the Border reference, but it's almost surely a reference to the scenario, since Wolves on the Border earlier made a passing reference to the Hoff raid from the Tales of the Black Widow Company scenario pack.

The timing of the scenario may need to be amended, if Epsilon just finished up on Coursadin/Courasin in November.  Perhaps October 3024 would be more appropriate than September.

One consideration for the location is that while the star may be named "Remis," the maps often designate systems by the primary colony therein, even if there are more than one.  For example, the system labeled Verthandi on the map is actually orbiting a star called "Norn" and is thereby designated Norn II.  Perhaps Remis is orbited by multiple inhabited worlds, one of which is more prominent than Coursadin/Courasin.  I earlier speculated that Royal (Ducal seat of House Stephenson) might be Remis II or IV, but that was due to my misreading "Remis" as "Regis." 

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #775 on: 29 January 2014, 21:59:06 »
----- One Month Earlier -----

Date: September 5, 3024 [See Notes]

Title: Decision at Thunder Rift

Author: William H. Keith

Type: Novel (Decision at Thunder Rift)

Synopsis:  The story opens as Stefan, a native Trell astech, services security systems at the fortress occupied by Carlyle’s Commandos, a ‘Mech Lance assigned to garrison Trell I (aka Trellwan).  Moving from the command center to the repair bay, he observes the maintenance work being done on the Lance’s Shadow Hawk, which he’d earlier sabotaged with a booby trapped circuit board, leaving the Lance with only a Phoenix Hawk and two Wasps.

Elsewhere in the fortress, 20-year old Grayson Death Carlyle is late for his training session with the unit’s Warrant Weapons Master, Sergeant Kai Griffith.  He sheepishly admits to having been off-base with Mara Stannic, a local Trell girl – the daughter of Chief Minister Stannic – and offers the excuse that it will be his last chance to see her, since the unit is moving offworld in three days.

The two go to the Combat Command Center, where technicians are tracking an inbound House Mailai DropShip carrying representatives of the Oberon Confederation.  Among the group are Grayson’s tutor Nicolai Aristobulus, Chief Tech Riviera, and Viscount Olin Vogel, Archon Katrina Steiner’s personal emissary from Tharkad.  Vogel arrived 80 days earlier with a plan to broker a peace with the Oberon Confederation and to contract with the Oberon Guards to garrison Trellwan, freeing up Carlyle’s Commandos for transfer to Tharkad.

Looking at the monitors, they see that Grayson’s father, Captain Durant Carlyle, is at the spaceport in his Phoenix Hawk to greet the Oberon emissaries, while the unit’s two Wasps are on patrol in Sarghad, Trellwan’s capital city.  As the Mailai ship touches down, Chief Tech Riviera notices that some security cameras in the repair bay have gone dark.  Griffith puts internal security on yellow alert.

Down in the repair bay, the Trell astech kills the watch officer with a vibroblade, then opens the external doors, letting in a black garbed assault team, which cuts down technical and security staff in short order.  He gives the password (‘Hunter’) to the attackers, identifying himself as their mole.  He leads the commandos towards the Command Center.

Up in the Command Center, Griffith, Ari, and Riviera attempt to coordinate a defense and raise the ‘Mech Lance.  At the spaceport, Durant Carlyle reports that he’s come under attack from weapons turrets on the House Mailai DropShip.  Ernest Hauptman, the Shadow Hawk pilot, reports to Griffith that the intruders are just one deck below the Command Center, and are equipped with combat sneak suits.  Griffith gathers personnel to lead a sortie against the intruders, and asks Chief Tech Riviera to get Grayson to safety if they’re overrun. 

At the port, the Phoenix Hawk is crippled by the DropShip’s weapons fire, losing an arm and the gyroscope.  Durant orders the Commandos to evacuate from Trellwan.  Security Chief Xiang arrives to support Durant with the security patrol, but neither Durant nor Xiang’s forces are a match for the Marauder that emerges from the Mailai DropShip.  The battered Heavy ‘Mech bears the insignia of the Oberon Confederation, and is backed by a Stinger and a Locust.  The Marauder walks over to the Phoenix Hawk and crushes its cockpit with a blow from its arm, killing Durant.  Xiang’s security troops withdraw as the Light ‘Mechs press the attack.  Riviera orders Xiang to fall back to the Commandos’ DropShip and form a perimeter until the Lance’s Wasps can arrive from Sarghad.

Griffith returns to the Command Center and tells Grayson they have to evacuate.  He says the security forces are holding for now, but there are too many attackers.  The Command Center personnel leave and make for the Vehicle Bay to board hovercraft and evacuate to the DropShip.  The Commandos’ families, and support/technical staff are already en route to the bay.  Viscount Vogel demands a special escort and a private hovercraft, but Griffith rebuffs his demands.  Grayson worries that this might cause political trouble for Griffith in the future.

They reach the vehicle bay without incident, join the dependents, and begin boarding HVTs – transport hovercraft capable of carrying 25 to 30 people.  On the way to the port, the convoy will be escorted by armed HVWCs (Hover Vehicle Weapons Carriers?).  Griffith orders Carlyle to board a scout hovercraft with Sergeant Brookes.  Before Grayson can bet aboard, shots ring out and enemy troops storm into the vehicle bay.  Viscount Vogel goes down while Griffith returns fire.  As Senior Tech Riviera and other Commandos’ troops die, Grayson breaks away from Sergeant Brookes and tries to save Griffith – being unwilling to lose both his father and his mentor in the same day.

Hovercraft begin to race out of the bay as sneaksuit-clad figures continue to pour in.  Grayson grabs a rifle and fires at the enemy reinforcements, killing many, but is too late to save Griffith from being shot.  Gas grenades fill the bay with paralytic fumes, and Grayson sees the attackers beating passengers on one hovercraft that had not escaped the bay in time, before he passes out.

When Grayson awakens, he sees the victorious attackers herding small groups of prisoners among the remaining hovercraft.  He sees Griffith, wounded, but still alive.  He also sees the enemy force’s warleader wearing a metal sensor mask, interrogating a somewhat worse for the wear Viscount Vogel, who tells him that the Lyran Commonwealth will offer a large ransom (Grayson estimates it would be in the millions).  The warleader considers this, then shoots Vogel in the chest.

Astech Stefan, the mole, identifies Grayson to the warleader as Captain Durant’s son.  Afraid he’ll be the next to die, Grayson breaks away from the guard holding him and strikes at the warleader, pulling off his mask and revealing a black bearded face.  Grayson doesn’t recognize him, but Griffith does, identifying him as “Singh.”  Singh shoots Griffith in the face, killing him.  Grayson attacks Singh again, but is knocked out as a bullet creases his temple.

Notes:  William H. Keith’s “Grey Death Legion” books don’t have datestamps on the chapters.  However, they do have internal chronological markers:  three days later, a week later, etc.  Plus, the scenarios from the Gray Death Legion scenario pack do, in fact, have fixed dates.  Using those as reference points, and working back along the internal chronology from the dated battles, I believe I’ve determined the canon dates for the Gray Death Legion books. 

What makes William H. Keith’s work so fantastic is the high level of detail he adds to everything.  The man was a master worldbuilder, and it shows in both his GDL novels and his work on the early BattleTechnology magazines.

The LosTech nature of Trell I is immediately evidenced by the astech’s description of the Shadow Hawk as having a “particular balance of heavy firepower and maneuverability.”  I don’t think any BattleTech player would find the SHD-2H’s mix of a Medium Laser, LRM-5, AC/5 and SRM-2 to be “heavy firepower” or a jump rating of 3 to represent superior maneuverability, unless your point of comparison is an UrbanMech

In this scene, Grayson is 20 years old, and remarks that he joined the Lance as a warrior apprentice at the age of 10, implying that Carlyle’s Commandos is at least that old.  It’s been garrisoning Trell for five years, just after Grayson’s mother’s death.  If the first responder security troops that attempt to contain the incursion in the repair bay are any indication, the unit colors are gray and blue. 

Interestingly, Grayson dismisses Kai Griffith’s anti-Trell attitude as “the prejudice of most old-time garrison soldiers against the local civilians they were supposed to protect.”  It’s not clear whether he’s referring to veteran garrison troops, or to people of Griffith’s generation in general.  It’s possible that the Peace Proposal and the Federated Commonwealth treaty has created a new mindset in people Grayson’s age, who would have been in their formative years when they were announced.

The Oberon Confederation is described as “the new and blossoming empire of Hendrick, the Bandit King of Oberon VI, who had forged a tottering alliance of a dozen Bandit Kings.”  When last we checked in with Oberon VI, roughly 50 years earlier (2972), they were just entering into trade relations with the Hanseatic League, and their vassal planets barely acknowledged their sovereignty – seeing Oberon representatives only twice a year, if Sigurd was representative of the rest of the Confederation’s worlds.  Since that time, the Confederation has greatly expanded its military force, forcibly unified its hold over its members, and acquired the Elysian Fields as a “protectorate.”

The force structure of Carlyle’s Commandos is interesting.  For having only one Lance of BattleMechs, the castle seems overly crowded with astechs, security guards, and other ground troops.  That would track with the early FASA-era conception of BattleMechs as “Hero Units” escorted into battle by swarms of conventional forces.  Another sign that this is from BattleTech’s early days is the description of Combine troops as “Kuritists” rather than “Kuritans.”  Likewise, the text describes Carlyle’s Phoenix Hawk being knocked down by a strike from a “medium-range missile” – a technology that didn’t appear until after the Clan invasion.

The Trell system is described as “lying at the ragged boundaries of the Lyran Commonwealth, an isolated sentinel against an unthinkably large and empty unknown.”  That would be news to Winfield, Persistence, Steelton, Toland, Apollo, and Bensinger, all of which lie in a direct line between Trell and the Commonwealth’s Periphery border.

House Mailai, whose crest is a blue X-and-circle, is described in this section as “a local trading house hired to ferry negotiators between Trellwan and Oberon VI.”  Later in the book, it’s mentioned as being based in the “Erit Cluster.” 

Grayson notes that small tactical nukes have long been forbidden by treaty and practicality.  He might be referring to the Ares Conventions, but nobody’s been adhering to that treaty since the fall of the Star League.  Given the earlier reference to searching for "illegal nuclear weapons" in a Kell Hounds scenario, it's possible that the Lyrans and the Free Worlds League, at least, signed some sort of treaty regarding WMD usage and/or possession at the end of the Second Succession War.

It’s not clear that Carlyle’s Commandos are, in fact, mercenaries at this point.  Grayson reminisces about his father “outfitting, supplying, and leading a House Steiner BattleMech Lance.”  Granted, they don’t appear to be part of any known line formation, but House Steiner seems to have a tradition of using independent Lances within the force structure of the LCAF – the Crescent Hawks, for example.

Given the payload description, the HVTs appear to have a capacity equivalent to a Heavy Hover APC or a Maxim.  They’re probably more the former than the latter, given the need for armed escorts.  The scout hovercraft is described as seating four and having a "light laser" in a pintle mount on the back, somewhat implying that it uses the Support Vehicle construction rules.
« Last Edit: 17 April 2014, 12:30:12 by Mendrugo »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #776 on: 29 January 2014, 23:01:05 »
Very nice write up, Mendrugo. As your describing the first part of the book, and detail it was told. Makes me home sick for those kind of novels.  It has become an lost art, craft wisking the reader away and making them feel like their with the characters.  More so William Keith's stories, among others in early books of Battletech.

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #777 on: 29 January 2014, 23:59:33 »
World building definitely is a key ingredient in my book for a good novel. I enjoyed the Grey Death Legion novels when I finally got the time to read them a few years back. Definitely felt "dated' compared to modern novels but that is understandable for the time period. I would put the trilogy as one of my top 5 list of favorite Btech trilogies/novels.
Made by HikageMaru

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #778 on: 30 January 2014, 02:11:09 »
There are different accounts about the size, nature and composition of Carlyle's Commandos in different sources, namely two of the GDL books and the scenario pack. Herb provied an official rulling not too long ago to reconcile them and clean up that particular mess. See Sarna article on Carlyle's Commandos for details.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #779 on: 30 January 2014, 02:48:41 »
There are different accounts about the size, nature and composition of Carlyle's Commandos in different sources, namely two of the GDL books and the scenario pack. Herb provied an official rulling not too long ago to reconcile them and clean up that particular mess. See Sarna article on Carlyle's Commandos for details.

So... if the Commandos were company strength, what were the other two lances doing when the Castle was attacked?  (Granted, Trell I does have three cities, so I suppose there could have been one lance stationed at each city, with Durant heading the one at the capital of Sarghad.)

Register