Author Topic: Raven Alliance: Enemy Of Your Enemy (And Still Your Enemy!)  (Read 177589 times)

St.George

• Lieutenant
  • there's nowhere to run
Re: Raven Alliance: Enemy Of Your Enemy (And Still Your Enemy!)
« Reply #990 on: 16 September 2014, 03:26:50 »
I've been going through my new books and noticed that our clan is "off" the clan radar(per se') of IS clans,or barely gets mentioned where you'd expect to find em.What do you do think will become of the clan?
"Smoke em' if ya got em' boys,,,We're goin' in"

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #991 on: 16 September 2014, 16:08:09 »
No one will see the Ravens coming when they take half of the Combine.

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #992 on: 16 September 2014, 18:33:03 »
Part of it may be the nature of their merger with the Outworlds, part of it may be their lack of relative proximity to the other Clans; the Clans that were in TRO Clans 3145 were pretty much in that central block, whereas the Sharkfoxes and the Ravens, who are nowhere NEAR that neck of the woods, and who are somewhat more trade oriented (the Sharkfoxes especially, but remember that the Raven Alliance started with trade) were put in Mercs.

Also, NO ONE WILL SEE IT COMING WHEN THE RAVENS TAKE HALF THE COMBINE.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

MidfieldMarauder

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
  • There's always another option.
« Reply #993 on: 16 September 2014, 18:47:59 »
What do you think the Bears have been waiting for all this time?

We know how the Ravens work. All we need to do is wait.   ;)
Dave "Middy" Martin
CDT Agent #880

Author of "Lost Ghosts" (Shrapnel #9), "That Old Highlander Way" (Slack Tide Anthology), "In Service to the Dragon" (Gray Markets Anthology), and the BattleCorps stories "Loyalty's Price" and "Risk of Honor"

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
« Reply #994 on: 16 September 2014, 19:21:46 »
What do you think the Bears have been waiting for all this time?

We know how the Ravens work. All we need to do is wait.   ;)

Team BearRaven is a WINNING Team, let's face it.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #995 on: 17 September 2014, 14:44:04 »
Team BearRaven is a WINNING Team, let's face it.

Don't you mean Team RavenBear? (It sounds better that way).

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
« Reply #996 on: 17 September 2014, 19:19:30 »
Don't you mean Team RavenBear? (It sounds better that way).

Would a RavenBear be like an Owlbear?  If so, I'm game!

St.George

• Lieutenant
  • there's nowhere to run
« Reply #997 on: 18 September 2014, 03:18:16 »
Team RavenBear would be a deadly force indeed.

ArcaneRaven

• Lieutenant
« Reply #998 on: 27 September 2014, 09:03:53 »
I really hope that the traditional cooperation between the Bear and the Raven won't erode, whatever comes our way. *cough* IlClan *cough*

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
« Reply #999 on: 27 September 2014, 09:28:29 »
I really hope that the traditional cooperation between the Bear and the Raven won't erode, whatever comes our way. *cough* IlClan *cough*

SHHH!  You'll jinx it!

ArcaneRaven

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1000 on: 27 September 2014, 12:51:05 »
SHHH!  You'll jinx it!

I am Raven.

I'm only superstitious when it suits me.

:D

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
« Reply #1001 on: 27 September 2014, 13:16:07 »
I am Raven.

I'm only superstitious when it suits me.

:D

That's all well and good, but Tucker's Law doesn't care if you believe in it or not!

(Also, digging the Goshawk II Avatar there!)

ArcaneRaven

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1002 on: 27 September 2014, 14:06:55 »
That's all well and good, but Tucker's Law doesn't care if you believe in it or not!

Well, BT universe history has proven time and again that you're right. So I will...  :-X

(Also, digging the Goshawk II Avatar there!)

ShadowRaven's awesome work!  O0 (Though, the choice of the Mech was mine.  :)) )

Edited for clarification.
« Last Edit: 27 September 2014, 16:13:51 by PrudentPanda »

St.George

• Lieutenant
  • there's nowhere to run
« Reply #1003 on: 30 September 2014, 02:13:13 »
Though the bears and Ravens have been allies in the past,I'm surprised they haven't a mutual deffence agreement when dealing with the Combine

ArcaneRaven

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1004 on: 30 September 2014, 08:09:03 »
I guess, that both Clans do cooperate occasionally, but neither the Bears nor the Ravens want to commit that much. Imagine the Ravens trying to use the Bears strength when engaging the Combine for pure expansionist reasons. Or the Bears using the Ravens as distraction and cannon fodder. While the Ravens do not have much ground forces to loose (whenever did we?) the Bears will have a hard time to sell their pact to their civilian rulers.

St.George

• Lieutenant
  • there's nowhere to run
« Reply #1005 on: 02 October 2014, 03:03:25 »
They'd sell it,,,,gives them they felling that the Warrior class is starting to do "civilian" things

Ravens in the skys and Bears on the ground,,,,,,the DC wouldn't want that lil'bit of trouble.

ArcaneRaven

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1006 on: 05 October 2014, 06:19:42 »
Trothkin, should we be worried about the opening fiction of the new Operational Turning Points: REVIVAL Trials?

St.George

• Lieutenant
  • there's nowhere to run
« Reply #1007 on: 06 October 2014, 03:19:38 »
Haven't read it yet,,,,but I'd say "no".When do Snow Ravens ever worry?

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1008 on: 06 October 2014, 15:35:43 »
Trothkin, should we be worried about the opening fiction of the new Operational Turning Points: REVIVAL Trials?
There is an entirely new cast of characters in 3145, so I wouldn't worry.

St.George

• Lieutenant
  • there's nowhere to run
« Reply #1009 on: 08 October 2014, 03:40:52 »
Only time the Ravens ever worried was getting the OA to sign the "Lease".I mean after all,we had the "30-day" rule in affect after being evicted.

ArcaneRaven

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1010 on: 08 October 2014, 05:14:06 »
Another matter I'm contemplating is the current (im)balance of naval and ground forces. Yes, I know that we're "the naval Clan" and it is not that I want to change this. It's a unique trait which defines our faction to a certain degree. However, given that WarShips are doomed to vanish from the BT universe and that our clan is already stretched to the limit with just four galaxies while we're expanding our territory, I could imagine a kind of transformation. Like giving up the majority of the big tubs and converting this freed power to an enlarged supply of new Assault DropShips, ASF and of course Mechs, BA and other ground force designs. We could still retain a naval character for the entire touman but at the same time get some more boots on the ground. What do you think?
« Last Edit: 08 October 2014, 05:16:52 by PrudentPanda »

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #1011 on: 08 October 2014, 07:58:23 »
I'm worried that the Homeworld Clans are going to show up, and initially have a lot of warships, and that the Ravens will end up in a situation where they expend much of their fleet to erase the warship balance for both sides.

Sort of a "last stand of the warships". After which, the Ravens may still have a higher percentage of warships than most other factions, but yes, like the Titan Monitor, they are forced to expand into the assault dropship area and redefine themselves as more of an aerofighter/assault dropship faction with a solid backing of a small but powerful contingent of warships.

I think the factions of the Inner Sphere may be forced to turn to the Ravens to counter the Homeworld Clans. And the Ravens in turn may still feel a lot of anger toward the "Snake Clans" remembering how they were treated in their forced expulsion from the Homeworlds. So to my mind that makes it more likely that they will take part in countering the Homeworld Clans advance.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1012 on: 08 October 2014, 15:19:46 »
I fear that the eventual return of the Homeworlders will be the end of most of the surviving warships on all sides.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #1013 on: 08 October 2014, 15:36:49 »
Quite possibly.  I guess then we'd have to settle for becoming the SpaceMech and aerial ProtoMech Clan.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #1014 on: 08 October 2014, 15:41:30 »

I just hope that the Clan has Exodus vessels hidden and ready.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
« Reply #1015 on: 08 October 2014, 19:32:06 »
Quite possibly.  I guess then we'd have to settle for becoming the SpaceMech and aerial ProtoMech Clan.

Jaim Magnus just crushed my soul.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #1016 on: 08 October 2014, 19:40:29 »
Jaim Magnus just crushed my soul.

Don't feel bad.  I need to crush at least one soul per week ;)
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
« Reply #1017 on: 08 October 2014, 20:01:44 »
Don't feel bad.  I need to crush at least one soul per week ;)

You should feel doubly impressed with yourself.  My friends have decided that I am so soulless that I am an honorary ginger.  So I have no idea what you actually crushed.

*Gets banned for the ginger comment*

Eh, I'll take it.

ArcaneRaven

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1018 on: 09 October 2014, 05:48:49 »
I'm worried that the Homeworld Clans are going to show up, and initially have a lot of warships, and that the Ravens will end up in a situation where they expend much of their fleet to erase the warship balance for both sides.

I fear that the eventual return of the Homeworlders will be the end of most of the surviving warships on all sides.

How can you be so sure that the HW Clans will return to the IS? Did I miss some (semi-)official announcement?  ???

I think top-notch ASF, PWS and Assault DropShips will do for retaining the "naval character" of our clan. But I'd really like to see more ground forces and more Mech and BA designs in return. After all, SpaceMechs and aerial Protos can't keep the territory they captured.

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #1019 on: 09 October 2014, 08:29:56 »
Summary on the HW Clans situation.

1. The simple fact that the Homeworld Clans are out there, and while the Inner Sphere went all "guns to plowshares" those Clans could have been doing...who knows what. They aren't gone, they exist. It is going to happen, in some way/shape/form they are going to reappear, it's just a question of when. BT writers in the past have often slipped a future enemy behind the curtain for the day they want to use it. Think the Clans in 3050 (there were hints that they existed long before that, we knew about Kerensky's Exodus from the beginning). Think the Blakists and the hints that there was more there than we knew, even before the Jihad.

Same concept, same magic trick. Ta Da! New enemy to fight. It might be those same Clans built up with new philosophies and new tech playing the 3050 Operation Revival all over again but no Zell and a willingness to use orbital bombardment. Or they might have evolved into something else, morphed into something else, Clans 2.0, something different but probably terrifying. Either way, again, they do exist and its not a question of if, just when. Maybe next month, maybe in a few years when the writers feel like things have gotten stale and they need a fresh angle. Either way...they are coming.

2. The recent publication Operation Turning Points: Revival Trials, has some opening fiction that fixates on the Star Adder Khan and how if they had been allowed to proceed their way, Operation Revival would have been murder on the Inner Sphere. It feels like the writers are thinking about the Adders. If the writers are thinking about the Adders, should you be worried? Some people are. It feels like in a backroom somewhere, behind locked doors, people are talking Adders.

3. There is a future publication on the list, called IlClan. It may have nothing to do with the Homeworld Clans, but some think maybe it does. We don't know.
« Last Edit: 09 October 2014, 08:41:21 by Alan Grant »