Author Topic: Solaris Skunkwerks And Me  (Read 272902 times)

Skyhigh

• Master Sergeant
    • Solaris Skunkwerks
Solaris Skunkwerks And Me
« on: 26 January 2011, 10:51:36 »
A new thread for questions, comments, updates, bug reports, etc.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
Re: Solaris Skunkwerks And Me
« Reply #1 on: 26 January 2011, 13:17:08 »
When I save my default print setting, SSW saves everything except the paper size. I always have to select A4 anew, when I start SSW.
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Skyhigh

• Master Sergeant
    • Solaris Skunkwerks
« Reply #2 on: 26 January 2011, 13:56:32 »
When I save my default print setting, SSW saves everything except the paper size. I always have to select A4 anew, when I start SSW.

Nice catch DarkISI, adding that to the saved defaults now.

LastChanceCav

• Captain
  • Repossessing the dispossessed ...
« Reply #3 on: 26 January 2011, 17:01:44 »
I don't know if this has been mentioned previously, but sometimes when I am editing the fluff for a mech (specifically a weapon's manufacturer) and open a new mech, the weapon in the same position on the wepaon table for the newly opened mech will change its manufacturer to the one for whatever weapon I was editing in the previous mech.  Currently using 0.6.73.

Cheers,
LCC
Last Chance Engineering - Bespoke Battlemechs for the refined gentleperson.

SandMan

• Master Sergeant
  • For Davion!
« Reply #4 on: 26 January 2011, 21:04:36 »
I don't know if this has been mentioned previously, but sometimes when I am editing the fluff for a mech (specifically a weapon's manufacturer) and open a new mech, the weapon in the same position on the wepaon table for the newly opened mech will change its manufacturer to the one for whatever weapon I was editing in the previous mech.  Currently using 0.6.73.

Cheers,
LCC

I see it, too.  Seems to happen to whatever manufacturer was highlighted at the time of the opening.  Interestingly, it seems to 'remember' this manufacturer even if you create a new 'Mech (no weapons, obviously) and then open another design.

Skyhigh

• Master Sergeant
    • Solaris Skunkwerks
« Reply #5 on: 28 January 2011, 16:02:37 »
Yup, I can see the issue you guys are talking about.  Trying to figure out how to clear that out when you request a new Mech.

OmniscientQ

• Corporal
    • MegaMek / BattleTech IRC Channel
« Reply #6 on: 29 January 2011, 13:33:34 »
I tried submitting this through google groups, but they gave me a delivery failure notification. Oh well.

I've been playing around with improved jump jets recently, and found a bug in the export to MTF feature. If you export a 'mech using the button provided on the 'Fluff' tab, it works with no problems. The jump jet slots are labeled "ImprovedJump Jets", and they load into MegaMek just fine.

If you try to export a batch of 'mechs all at once, however, by adding them to a battle force on the 'Open Mech' screen, they are exported with "ISImprovedJump Jets", which are not valid equipment. Such MTF's won't load into MegaMek (or if illegal 'mechs are allowed, they load with no jump rating).
Q v2.0, Cluster Violet-6
End Transmission

M-Rex

• Lieutenant
  • In Ferro, Veritas.
« Reply #7 on: 29 January 2011, 13:40:55 »
Skyhigh,

What's the status on updates of equipment/mechs/units in Skunkwerks?

"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered his last round...

"Carrying stuff may be a sign of improper utilization of your minions." - 'Freelance Writer' Paul

Skyhigh

• Master Sergeant
    • Solaris Skunkwerks
« Reply #8 on: 29 January 2011, 15:50:13 »
I tried submitting this through google groups, but they gave me a delivery failure notification. Oh well.

I've been playing around with improved jump jets recently, and found a bug in the export to MTF feature. If you export a 'mech using the button provided on the 'Fluff' tab, it works with no problems. The jump jet slots are labeled "ImprovedJump Jets", and they load into MegaMek just fine.

If you try to export a batch of 'mechs all at once, however, by adding them to a battle force on the 'Open Mech' screen, they are exported with "ISImprovedJump Jets", which are not valid equipment. Such MTF's won't load into MegaMek (or if illegal 'mechs are allowed, they load with no jump rating).

Got it, we had two seperate sets of code doing the MTF export, going to use the most recent (from SSW) and make it the common used one.  Will be fixed in next release.

OmniscientQ

• Corporal
« Reply #9 on: 29 January 2011, 16:53:34 »
Got it, we had two seperate sets of code doing the MTF export, going to use the most recent (from SSW) and make it the common used one.  Will be fixed in next release.

Many thanks. Also, as a feature request, is it possible to add a checkbox that collapses all omni variants into a single entry on the 'Open' screen?
Q v2.0, Cluster Violet-6
End Transmission

arcangelS7

• Recruit
« Reply #10 on: 29 January 2011, 19:20:37 »
Skyhigh,
I've noticed that the only the "print preview" menu has the option to print sheets in the classical record sheet style. It would make work on BRG:3052 a lot quicker if I use the batch print to print/generate PDF all the mechs at once, rather than doing them one at a time using print preview.

Skyhigh

• Master Sergeant
    • Solaris Skunkwerks
« Reply #11 on: 29 January 2011, 22:51:50 »
I've noticed that the only the "print preview" menu has the option to print sheets in the classical record sheet style. It would make work on BRG:3052 a lot quicker if I use the batch print to print/generate PDF all the mechs at once, rather than doing them one at a time using print preview.

Heya ArcAngel,

Add the 'Mechs to the Force Dialog and then use it's print dialog to do the Recordsheet prints.  It has the same option and can handle as many units as you want to add.

Skyhigh

• Master Sergeant
    • Solaris Skunkwerks
« Reply #12 on: 29 January 2011, 22:52:46 »
Many thanks. Also, as a feature request, is it possible to add a checkbox that collapses all omni variants into a single entry on the 'Open' screen?

I'm curious...why would you want to do that?

Shatara

• Master Sergeant
  • Your flank belongs to the Star League
« Reply #13 on: 30 January 2011, 00:57:13 »
Presumably, to clean up the clutter, since you can switch to any variant once the file is loaded anyway.

If you're an omni-phile like myself, one chassis can easily be take up a good half the screen.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #14 on: 30 January 2011, 01:41:16 »
Heya ArcAngel,

Add the 'Mechs to the Force Dialog and then use it's print dialog to do the Recordsheet prints.  It has the same option and can handle as many units as you want to add.

The only problem with this method is that you can't clear the piloting and gunnery.  It forces you to have a value.  If this isn't bothersome to you, it's an excellent way to print a pile of sheets at once.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Skyhigh

• Master Sergeant
    • Solaris Skunkwerks
« Reply #15 on: 30 January 2011, 01:51:26 »
The only problem with this method is that you can't clear the piloting and gunnery.  It forces you to have a value.  If this isn't bothersome to you, it's an excellent way to print a pile of sheets at once.

Actually, choosing to print Recordsheet instead of Total Warfare will match the prints that are done in the Recordsheet products by CGL.  It removes Pilot info and replaces with underlines, removes ammo from the weapon list, specifies ammo format, weapon layout, no extra info like weapon heat over dissipation, armor points, etc.

But if you want Total Warfare sheets from a list of units and you do not want pilot stats to be printed there is a "Print Warrior/Unit Info" option that you can uncheck. (Except it apparently doesn't work  :(  I'll be fixing that!)

Shirotora

• Corporal
« Reply #16 on: 30 January 2011, 04:27:18 »
How does one add capacitors to PPCs? I can't figure it out for the life of me.
Tae-I Kenjiro Amundsen
GHR-6X Grasshopper

Grantwhy

• Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: 30 January 2011, 05:46:18 »
How does one add capacitors to PPCs? I can't figure it out for the life of me.

right click on the PPC in either the Equipment tab or the Criticals tab and there should be the option to Add Capacitor.
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness.

Don't fight rabbits if you taste like lettuce.

Shirotora

• Corporal
« Reply #18 on: 30 January 2011, 05:51:23 »
Cool. Thanks.
Tae-I Kenjiro Amundsen
GHR-6X Grasshopper

OmniscientQ

• Corporal
« Reply #19 on: 30 January 2011, 15:15:42 »
Presumably, to clean up the clutter, since you can switch to any variant once the file is loaded anyway.

If you're an omni-phile like myself, one chassis can easily be take up a good half the screen.

That. I'll grant that there are plenty of times, when you're not sure which variant has the stats you want, that you would want to browse them all at once. But when you have fifty different omni chassis... (What's the plural form of chassis?) ... if you know which one you want, it's easier on the eyes to have each chassis listed once. A checkbox means you can have it both ways.
Q v2.0, Cluster Violet-6
End Transmission

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #20 on: 31 January 2011, 04:30:19 »
Skyhigh,

What's the status on updates of equipment/mechs/units in Skunkwerks?

`Mechs are being worked on. I'm about halfway through 3085 CE right now. Mostly everything is done at this point except for XTRO Marik and the 3085 stuff.

The big problem is that there's going to be a major change with all the files. For instance, alot of the MWDA files and random Jihad Files got added into 3085, which means those files have gotten changed and moved (teaches me to actually sort them).

Add to that I've asked Skyhigh to add a feature which might force me to revisit every single file in the near future.

I've also noticed what seems like a few...steps back in the equipment file. I don't know if I'm misremembering reporting some things and they didn't get fixed, or if they got fixed for a version or two, and then somehow got..unfixed. So please, keep an eye out for things like BV errors and equipment level errors (like somehow Communications equipment got set to Advanced instead of Tournament legal...).

Rebel Yell

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #21 on: 01 February 2011, 00:15:30 »
Any chance the tutorial on adding weapons will make an appearance?

[notworthy]
3025-3039 The Glory days of BT. Everything after that can get off my lawn.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #22 on: 01 February 2011, 20:01:58 »
Yup, soon. Sorry, the boards outage made me slack a bit on that.

Office users are going to have...fun. :)

Rebel Yell

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #23 on: 03 February 2011, 00:41:33 »
Schweet!
3025-3039 The Glory days of BT. Everything after that can get off my lawn.

Drufause

• Master Sergeant
  • We were never here.
« Reply #24 on: 04 February 2011, 02:11:50 »
I may be asking for something that already exists but i'm not sure cause i have not found it.  Here is the qualifiers.  My production system is Windows7.  I do not have Acrobat 9 or X for it.  I do have acrobat 7 but am afraid to install it as every time i do i get a message saying it is outdated and unsafe with published exploits that will not be patched due to product end of life per Adobe.  From open office i can export Drawings and Documents to PDF files.  How ever from SSW I do not have that option.  Currently if I want to provide a digital record sheet to someone who does not use SSW my only option is to print to XPS via a Microsoft driver.  Is there a way to save the record sheet as a png or tiff so that i could open the file in open office draw and then export to pdf?
Combat Command Counters Thread
http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=191.0
quote by OgreBattle on 09/08/2011
"Knowledge and social skills usually use separate attributes, and often when you're good at one you take the other as your dump stat."

BeeRockxs

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #25 on: 04 February 2011, 08:52:17 »
Just install pdfcreator (http://pdfcreator.sourceforge.net).
You can then directly print to pdf.

Drufause

• Master Sergeant
  • We were never here.
« Reply #26 on: 04 February 2011, 09:46:35 »
Thanks BeeRocks
Combat Command Counters Thread
http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=191.0
quote by OgreBattle on 09/08/2011
"Knowledge and social skills usually use separate attributes, and often when you're good at one you take the other as your dump stat."

lordgoober

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: 04 February 2011, 11:15:51 »
I'm doing a quick strike game in a couple weeks.  It's going to be a combined arms game (tukayyid battle) and I need to figure out how to print out cards for the elementals, vehicles and C* infantry.  Is that possible with the SSW software or am I making custom sheets for them...

Andras

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: 07 February 2011, 20:24:24 »
in 6.73, in the Open Mech window if you sort by cost it goes 1,10,11,12,...2,20,21,22...3,4,5,6

Can you make it keep the numbers in order?

Thanks

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #29 on: 07 February 2011, 20:56:50 »
I'm not sure this is a bug, but when I tried to put a Chain whip on a arm without any hand actuators, the program informed me that I could not do -- that I had to have a hand to mount a chain whip. But I can't find anything in the rules about it. Is there a rule somewhere I missed?

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

Register