Author Topic: A Time for War Vs. Mechwarrior 3  (Read 33612 times)

PurpleDragon

• Captain
Re: A Time for War Vs. Mechwarrior 3
« Reply #90 on: 29 March 2011, 11:51:12 »
The Lifers that I play the game with have all complained about the lack of opportunity to get a mech from using the lifepaths Event rolls.

that's what the vehicle traits are for.   we've gone to keeping the level assignments seperate then you get to combine them how you want to end up with whatever weight class you're trying for.  then we went to owns vehicle applies to all vehicle traits you get, whether you're combining to get heavier mechs or leaving them at multiples to get lighter mechs. 
give a man a fire, keep him warm for a night. 
Set him on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

The secret to winning the land/air battle is that you must always remain rigidly flexible.

I like tabletop more anyway, computer games are for nerds!  -  Knallogfall

Jackmc

• Captain
    • How I pay the bills
« Reply #91 on: 29 March 2011, 12:24:22 »
MW3 has a limit about how many Lifepaths you can take. Additionally, each repeat inflicts a -1 on the Event Roll.

If you were intimately familiar with the LP's (thus maximizing skill points without ever repeating the same path) and were willing to spend your EDG thresh to upgrade your EVR's, you could come up with a frighteningly skilled character (assuming no really bad EVR's were rolled).

-Jackmc

Tempus

• Sergeant
  • Gizzled vet and 2D10 Heretic
« Reply #92 on: 29 March 2011, 17:20:15 »
The Lifers that I play the game with have all complained about the lack of opportunity to get a mech from using the lifepaths Event rolls. I have started to modify them and upgrade to AToW rules. Also they are over and above tyhe allocation of XP. If they get a crap role and want to spend edge XP to re-roll then it costs them 100XP.
Does anyone have suggestions on how to stop the entire party taking 41 year old pilots with loads of XP?

I can understand the restriction on using edge to alter the rolls during creation in MW3  We had a player who was ruthless in that regard and used it to great power-munchkin effect to skew the creation process. and maximize the exp his character was awarded via the rolls.

I think it's one of the reasons you will find that most of the folks here pretty much rejoiced at the idea of getting rid of the dammed random rolls.

if MW3 apply the limitations of repeating lifepaths etc. 

If AToW, just set a baseline age that represents the exp that everyone starts with, regardless of what age they are at the end of character generation.

There's a very very critical phrase in that section of the rules that points to doing things this way.

"a character’s actual age may not conform to the XPs allotted to
his “baseline age”. This is perfectly legal, so long as the allotted
XPs are properly accounted for. After all, experience is more
than a measure of years."

You the GM set the 'baseline', that determines the exp.  use the normal base, or adjust it up or down depending on your campaign..  (heck you could do a scenario with a bunch of military school brats fighting back against invaders, and set the age at 17 and have them start with 4600 exp)  Point is they all start with the same exp.  Being older doesn't gain them anything other than a few aging effects, and they can't ALL be teachers or employees at the school.. )

C4 trumps 4 Aces

Voodoo

• Master Sergeant
  • This is your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd warning...
« Reply #93 on: 09 April 2011, 00:57:36 »
Thanks to all of you for your input.  My copy of Mechwarrior 2nd edition came in the mail a couple of days ago.  $12 and it looks brand new!  After reading the rules, this is the best way to go...and I saved $28.  Simple character creation, simple combat, and the MW Companion was only $8 extra.  Me happy.
Forum Miscreant...and then some.