Author Topic: ’Mech of the Week: BLF-** Blue Flame  (Read 6310 times)

Kotetsu

• Captain
’Mech of the Week: BLF-** Blue Flame
« on: 28 June 2013, 11:33:10 »
’Mech of the Week: BLF-** Blue Flame

Blue Flame. On the scale of heat, I am not sure whether blue or white flames are hotter. Based on stars, I do recall that blue-white ones are said to be the hottest. Though if they don’t cool to blue or white, they quickly run out of fuel in spectacular fashion. As in supernova with gamma ray burst.

Whatever the case, the Blue Flame is also the name of a 45-ton quadriped BattleMech, one of two quads produced by the Word of Blake at the Mitchell Vehicles plant on Terra. In its short service life, the design proved itself rugged and effective. Perhaps too much so.

Entering service in 3062, the BLF-21 is built around an endo-steel skeleton and uses a VOX 225-rated light engine, giving the design speed equivalent to the same-weight Cobra. The engine choice was to maximize space for weapons and equipment. Eleven tons of standard plate provides maximum protection in a 9, 21/7, 15/7, 22 pattern (head, center front/rear, side front/rear, legs). Armament consists of twin extended-model large lasers, one in each side torso, and three 2-pack SRM Streak launchers, one in each side torso and the third in the head. One ton of ammunition feeds the launchers. Finally, an improved C3 unit is mounted in the center torso. Ten double heat sinks struggle with the heat load.

This model was sent to all known Word of Blake divisions in small numbers. However, as the TRO states, a large number were disappearing. ComStar analysts speculated there could be at least one secret division in the shadows receiving them…

Unfortunatly for everyone, they were right. Just not in the amount of shadow divisions. With the Manei Domini and the VDNI system, quads become even more dangerous weapons. And not content to just sit back and let one size fit all, in 3073, a newer model arrived, the BLF-40.

This model removed the weapons-load and one point of armor (center front) to slap a Light-class particle cannon in each torso and a rear-mounted medium-class variable speed pulse in the right tied to a targeting computer. A small cockpit was utilized to open space to shift the C3 unit into the head.

These are the only two variants known at this time. Quite possibly the only two variants for all time. As a Word of Blake machine, the numbers remaining should be few, and whether or not the plant still stands, they probably are not making any more.

Using one begins and ends with force composition. As in, this is not meant to be a lone ranger type. As with all machines given C3, especially the improved version, bring friends. First, friends help you to put holes in the opposition. Second, friends help with getting annoying back-biters off you. This is doubly true when talking about a quad, which cannot torso twist. And in the case of the BLF-21, has no rear weaponry. Now, as much as you will be tempted to fire both large lasers with the -21 model, do not do so overmuch. Twenty heat dissipation versus twenty-four heat from the lasers alone… equals not very comfortable driving. Especially as you would be considered “slow” on the battlefield. As you also lack jump jets, maneuverability is a bit patchy, too. Which is why you should pick your friends nicely. White Flames are a given based on the write-up, but a Vanquisher or Toyama sitting back there also helps. And God help the poor fool who doesn’t notice the -001 King Crab with the Manei pilot with self-C3. (Gauss says Hi!)

Fighting one begins with noting his friends. After that, bring speed and/or pain. The Bishammon, for example is faster than the Blue Flame, and may bring his own friends to the party. Or if you are the rough-and-tumble sort, a Ti Ts’ang, which is faster, jumps, and brings a lot of pain (and that’s before the melee weapon). Getting behind him is helpful, though you have to remember his C3 still treats you as how close you are. The Scarabus might work in that role, as you are faster, carry an axe, and mount an ECM system to cut him off. Isolate and remove.

The Blue Flame served well for its time. Unfortunately, unless the WoBbles show up again, or someone finds the plans and decides to forget the origins, this design is likely not to be used much in the future.

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
Re: ’Mech of the Week: BLF-** Blue Flame
« Reply #1 on: 28 June 2013, 15:12:00 »
Isn't it sad to see all that neat WB equipment go down the drain?
A pity.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 28 June 2013, 17:22:37 »
Not bad units, though i never liked the drawing for them..
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

acemarke

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 06 July 2013, 14:38:20 »
I've pulled a great number of these on playing as WOB on the Mekwars Legends server.  I'm not a fan.  Generally, you plink with one ERLL at range, add the streaks at short, then take a turn with good numbers to fire both ERLLs and lose at least one MP, forcing you to fall back the next turn.  It's sorely lacking in damage potential.

During one MWL cycle, we tried revamping it with a pair of standard PPCs and a Guardian ECM.  That seemed to work better, particularly because MWL uses the ECCM rules.  Heavier punch, and a much more potent C3i spotter capable of protecting its own link.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 07 July 2013, 01:09:25 »
Doesn't it have the larges in the front legs?  and since you only get 2 slots, you could not switch it out for ppcs..  unless you changed where they were located.

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 07 July 2013, 03:33:00 »
Doesn't it have the larges in the front legs?  and since you only get 2 slots, you could not switch it out for ppcs..  unless you changed where they were located.
R/L torso. If you look at the picture it's pretty clear.

Personally I prefer an ERPPC/LRM combo instead of the ERLLs, but then it doesn't maintain the symmetry of the original.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 07 July 2013, 17:31:35 »
DOh, i was thinking of one of my own quads who has the ERLLs in the legs..

RebelRunner

« Reply #7 on: 19 July 2013, 00:08:07 »
Isn't it sad to see all that neat WB equipment go down the drain?
A pity.

Considering that I'm mostly playing in the former FWL post-Jihad, there's plenty of junked WoB gear laying around  ;) ;)

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #8 on: 19 July 2013, 14:51:43 »
Up to a point, but the Blue Flame was pretty much scrapped outright or destroyed in combat.  They were never seen in significant numbers outside Word ranks and apparently weren't captured in enough numbers to be worth refitting to any notable degree.  Since they were also associated with the Shadow Divisions (read the Deployment section in TRO3067 carefully) and a signature, unique Word design, like a lot of Word hardware, very, very few people are going to be interested in salvaging them or pleased to see them.  All of that played a part in the MUL's decision making about Word hardware.

None of that means your unit can't have a few, of course!  "Extinct" on the MUL doesn't mean "completely nonexistent" but rather practically nonexistent, not around to any notable level.  Blue Flames are going to be very unusual and you're going to get a lot of dirty looks sent your way.

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 19 July 2013, 15:15:48 »
Or hey, you could send it in to your friendly Krupp WoB Recycling program in exchange for a Thunder Fox! :D

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 19 July 2013, 17:24:35 »
I actually expect to see more WoB Battle Armour and Celestials still existing, hidden in some bunkers after the R&D departments ran some tests on them to learn new things.
Blue Flames got the looks, and the efficiency was probably ok, but it's not groundbreaking in any single way, so no reason to keep them around for anyone.

Kotetsu

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 19 July 2013, 20:29:04 »
Well, depends on if you are desperate. If the Blue Flame is the only thing you have nearby to defend yourself... you might go for it.

As for the Battle Armor... Purifier suits are a bit... common in the Dark Ages...

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #12 on: 20 July 2013, 12:29:34 »
Purifiers are, yes - there's an RAF squad configuration included in one of the RS volumes.  The Demon series suits were treated much like the Celestials.

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 20 July 2013, 17:01:41 »
Well, the Demon Series was probably harder to come by than the rest of the lot, with MD selfdestructing when dead, and the chance to surprise a ranked MD battle armour trooper outside his armour isn't too high.
Aside those suits likely being completely destroyed when put down.
But then again, any factory stores will have surely been scooped up.

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 20 July 2013, 17:11:31 »
To be fair to Purifiers, aren't they actually WOB and COM suits? IIRC they were developed on Terra under Comstar and then both made them after the WOB took Terra.

Prince of Darkness

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: 21 July 2013, 14:38:41 »
Sorry Koetsu, but this isn't a very good writeup- I like that it's straight and to the point, but there are a few things that you failed to mention- like the lack of CASE on the base model, which would really explain well why there are so few remaining.
Cowdragon:
I'm going to type up your response, print it, fold it in half, and look at it like a I would a centerfold. THAT's how sexy your answer was.