Author Topic: Vehicle of the Week: Shamash  (Read 4859 times)

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
Vehicle of the Week: Shamash
« on: 14 March 2011, 07:42:20 »
Vehicle of the Week: Shamash Reconnaissance Vehicle

(This is an updated version of the article originally posted in 2010.)

The Shamash is named for the Akkadian god of the sun and justice, lighting the darkness, which means that despite not being a war god unlike your usual Clan vehicle eponym, the name is appropriate for a reconnaissance vehicle.  After the loss of Foster, the Blood Spirits concluded they had a need for a lighter, faster counterpart to the Asshur, and the result was a blindingly (some, such as Weirdo, might prefer "obnoxiously") fast hovercraft.  This is one of the rare vehicles that doesn't fall on a multiple of five for tonnage, at 11 tons, and it carries a 2.5 ton 60-rated fusion engine, driving it to 216 kph in flat terrain, leaving it at a 13/20 movement curve.  The sheer speed can pull off a +4 movement modifier cruising even after losing three hexes to turns or elevation change.  Flank?  Try +5, with two hexes to play with, or +4 and blow half your MPs on dealing with terrain.  To keep it alive when someone does manage to hit the elusive little beastie, the Spirits piled on two tons of ferro fibrous, mounted 9/7/7/8.  The weaponry is impressive and fits the speed, a quartet of ERSLs in the turret.  Personally, I might prefer a pair of ERMLs to keep my distance and increase relative accuracy, but the Shamash's speed (and consequent ability to get into places no one wants someone with a quartet of 5 point lasers) means it can make excellent use of the short-ranged weapons, and I've never had that much of an issue with IS MPL ranges on something mobile anyway.  This thing is a fast, annoying little bastard of a hovercraft, suited to outer shell recon duty, flanking, backstabbing, raiding, whatever you want.  Unfortunately, according to TRO3060, the only ones using them are the Blood Spirits and the Star Adders... but that may not have been accurate for much longer given the new variants surfacing and the way the Clan homeworlds have dropped off the radar.

The RS3060 Unabridged variant comes to us with some... interesting fluff, considering TRO3060.  ComStar reports through MilSpec about having spotted a new Shamash in the hands of the Ghost Bears.  No real clue where they're getting them from, although if I had to hazard a guess, I'd say the Diamond Sharks are involved somehow.  Generally, this is more of the same.  The difference comes in with the turret.  Someone replaced the lasers with a pair of extended-range flamers.  To summarize, they have a 3/5/7 range bracket, dealing the same anti-vehicle damage as normal flamers but half the heat effects or infantry damage.  The difference in BV is eloquent, with the original having 504, and the new one a mere 228.  While there are a number of dirty tricks flamers can do, the lack of general effectiveness is quite disappointing.  One option to combine all the fiery goodness with some retention of general capabilities is to use a pair of flamers with a pair of ERSLs.  They can do the job, but this isn't really an infantry hunter - the flurry of 2 point hits if infantry does manage to hit can cripple or kill a Shamash surprisingly easily, and the speed has better uses.

In RS3085 Unabridged Old is the New New, Welshman and his merry minions gave us only one Clan vehicle, a new Shamash termed the Interdictor variant.  Like the other interdictor models, it features ECM, replacing one pair of the lasers, while the other was replaced by an ERML, giving it some ability to fence instead of being obliged to close, hopefully keeping your ECM cover intact.  Get it into position aggressively but remember that a Shamash relies on speed, not armor, so it can't really take fire.  You probably want to bring more than one given the low BV, only 520, barely above the original's, and the likelihood that someone's going to object to your ECM games.

Using either model is about two things: speed and position.  Embrace the motto that "speed is life" - anyone who gets two sustained hits on a location with any decently heavy weapon (including Clan ERSLs or IS mediums) will generally kill it, headcappers will kill one outright, and 10 point hits will send anything but the front straight to hell.  (IS LPLs can pull the same stunt if they hit the sides or stern.)  You want to maneuver around someone and try to hit their rear armor to maximize the utility of those lasers, or the pitiful damage of the flamers, but the five point hits can do plenty of damage on their own, especially to other light units.  If you're not currently working to play tag, keep your distance.  Unlike a lot of hovers, the Shamash has the sheer speed to maneuver through surprisingly rough terrain and still keep its modifiers up, especially if you're willing to run the risk of flank speed turns.  Veteran crews (this means 4/5 in Clan vees) will help a lot, and as a fringe benefit, you won't have to calculate the change in BV.  (Purchased skill levels start at 4/5.)

Killing a Shamash is no small task, despite the fragility I just mentioned.  They're frail, but they're also (when run properly) an incredible pain in the neck to hit.  Area-effect weapons are a good starting point if you have them, and certain ones can be fired quite readily in the same weapons phase.  Another excellent answer is the infamous Clan LPL/TC combo.  I don't normally recommend sheer munch, but the Shamash is one of those things that justifies Clan LPLs and then some.  Even without that, pulse lasers (with their -2 modifier) make a good option, and if one is obliging enough to wander into short range of a VSPL, teach it a lesson.  Spheroids who have the right weapons in hand can avail themselves of precision ammo (an old Succession Wars Partisan or a Zhukov can both be of use, as can the old Age of War Hammerhands models), and a targeting computer can also be used.  The next general option is the LB-X autocannon family.  Between the -1 and the high probability of inflicting MP penalties, which will start to slow the zippy little nuisance down, it's not a bad answer if you don't have something more vicious on hand.  Whatever you do, you may also want to consider defensive maneuvers, such as putting your back against terrain to keep the Shamash out of a rear arc (remember that they can't enter woods or rubble, but will quite cheerfully run over water hexes).

MUL: The Master Unit List is always a good place to check for imagery these days and it also gives me a convenient place to make a few notes.  The original Shamash is on the general Clan list for the Inner Sphere clans during the Jihad at a price of 504 BV; Dark Age availability is still "To Be Announced".  The Interdictor model, keeping that 520 BV I mentioned up above, and is on the IS Clan General list with the Republic also picking up a few during the Dark Age.  My guess about the Diamond Sharks was correct for the flamer model and it actually isn't on the Ghost Bear list.
« Last Edit: 15 June 2011, 10:50:48 by Moonsword »

Welshman

• Mostly Retired Has Been
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Vehicle of the Week: Shamash
« Reply #1 on: 14 March 2011, 13:31:19 »
I've been recently re-reading TRO3060 and have had a perverse desire to set up a Clan Vee vs Clan Vee slugging match. With the minimal armor of most of the units it would be a battle of hammer and eggshell.

And against other clan vehicles, the Shamash is a wicked design. Speed right up to a anything lighter than an Ares and you have a good chance of blowing it away in a single round.

-Joel BC-
Catalyst Freelancer (Inactive)

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
« Reply #2 on: 14 March 2011, 13:39:18 »
Against Clan mechs, the Shamash is a wicked design.  A point of them packs the power of the Phantom C (minus the MPL), which is truely one of the designs I like the most of all mechs.  Sure, there's no TC and Clan tank drivers tend to be useless, but the BV's less, the speed's more, and there's two of them.  Against anything short of an elite pulse boat, you can make a few high speed slashes at the back side and blow any mech you chouse out of the water.  And against thouse elite pulse boats, you have the speed to run like hell back to the cover of your Blood Kites, which can blow them out of the water for you. 
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 14 March 2011, 14:23:53 »
Love the looks of the Shamash.  That its a useable unit too is even better.  I've them a handful of times for the Horses and they do pretty well, esp if they can catch someone unaware.  Like Zug says: BOHICA!

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 14 March 2011, 15:04:38 »
Of course I have no way of knowing, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that Aleksandr Jorgensson used a Shamash in any augmented fights in his bloodname trial.  It's the only thing that really fits, besides a SL-vintage Gabriel.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #5 on: 14 March 2011, 17:04:55 »
I've been recently re-reading TRO3060 and have had a perverse desire to set up a Clan Vee vs Clan Vee slugging match. With the minimal armor of most of the units it would be a battle of hammer and eggshell.

And against other clan vehicles, the Shamash is a wicked design. Speed right up to a anything lighter than an Ares and you have a good chance of blowing it away in a single round.

Games wth Clan tanks are... different. The bad gunners mean you use a lot more cruising and camping than nomal.

Also the light Clan armour is something of a myth. Firstly there are plenty of similar IS platforms with light armour, but they don't see as much action on most table tops for that reason. And secondly Clan tanks tend to try unusual things. For example you don't see many wheeled light IS tanks any more. This leads to some sub optimal design decisions.

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
« Reply #6 on: 14 March 2011, 17:05:46 »
Of course I have no way of knowing, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that Aleksandr Jorgensson used a Shamash in any augmented fights in his bloodname trial.  It's the only thing that really fits, besides a SL-vintage Gabriel.

Well, he could have just manned the gunner's seat on an Athina and blasted people into oblivion before he really needed to manuver.  But, I seem to recall the fluff noting that Shamash warriors tended to be more mechwarrior like and independant.
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #7 on: 14 March 2011, 17:49:16 »
As a note, this article is not significantly altered from its initial presentation aside from the Interdictor's inclusion and I may well go back and edit it some more.

Oros are going to be unpleasant.  Their LB 20-Xs and LPLs give them an excellent chance of scrapping one outright once it comes into range although their light armor means they're likely to get hurt.  Enough Shamashes can swarm one under, of course, and their BV, resource, and manpower cost is low enough that seeing packs of them isn't unrealistic.

Games wth Clan tanks are... different. The bad gunners mean you use a lot more cruising and camping than nomal.

Note my recommendation to use veteran crews if you can to counter that.  Considering that 'Mechs are likely to be shooting back with the equivalent of a pulse bonus, it's going to make the exchange rate murderous in numeric terms.

Also the light Clan armour is something of a myth. Firstly there are plenty of similar IS platforms with light armour, but they don't see as much action on most table tops for that reason. And secondly Clan tanks tend to try unusual things. For example you don't see many wheeled light IS tanks any more. This leads to some sub optimal design decisions.

Agreed although I think there's another factor underlying the perceptions.  I'll address the armor comparison first.  As bad as the armor is in absolute terms (which is not nice), in relative terms, it's actually quite solid.  The problem is that while on a relative level, it's better than recent IS offerings like the Pandion or Tufana, the sheer thickness of the armor on the heavier vehicles lets them protect against certain important breakpoints (notably the 8, 9, and 10 point weapons) without armor penetration despite the greater relative protection on the Shamash.  In addition, as you may have implied, the IS has more designs in general, meaning that it's easier for someone to cherry-pick superior platforms.

The factor missing in this is that Inner Sphere vehicles get compared to IS weapons, especially with the lighter weapons where the IS simply can't match the sheer power out of light equipment.  Clan tanks get evaluated with Clan weapons firmly in mind which bring an extra element of power and especially range to bear.  The Shamash is something of a case in point with an Interdictor possessing near-parity to an ISLL despite a reduction in half of weapons tonnage but the original, able to deliver 20 damage out of 2 tons (accuracy notwithstanding) in a knife-fight is equally telling, out-scoring the Mantis by a third despite having only 80% of the weapons load in tonnage terms.  Because of that, Clan tanks face a situation where their frequently somewhat weaker armor is compounded by a more dangerous perceived threat environment.

Register