Author Topic: Return of the Iron Painter - 2013 mk II! Rules & questions thread  (Read 7996 times)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Okay folks, welcome to the second Iron Painter contest for the BT forums for 2013. This is a painting contest open to any BT forum members. 

Rules of the competition:

1) Entry is free - anyone is able to submit should they want to, regardless of their actual skill.

2) Only legit IWM/(Fasa or CGL Plastic)/RP/RPE minis. No illegal repros, complete scratchbuilds, no minis from other lines. Conversions to canon variants or omni configs allowed. At this point, entries of MW:DA (or AoD) figures, or figures largely based on MW:DA (or AoD) figures are permitted, but only in the third or Only Mine! division (see Judging, below).

3) No Unseen. This includes the most recent list of Unseen 'Mechs, ASF and vehicle.

4) One mini only - 'Mech, vehicle, ASF, constructionmech, proto, support vehicle, Drop/Jump/WarShip -  capable of fitting on a standard hexbase. Larger SVs would be disqualified by rule 2.
    4a) Exception one: infantry, BA and Protomechs may have up to 6 figures, as long as all figures fit on one standard hexbase.

5) This contest has a theme: Mine. Your mini should be painted in the paintscheme you consider "yours" - beiit your favourite canon faction or unit, your personal Merc unit or cluster, or your favourite variation on a canon scheme. The mini may come from any BT era, and (within the context above) any paintscheme is allowed.
Note: the lack of specific paint theme is intended to encourage people to participate, and to try and stretch their skills. If there's sufficient interest, a subsequent contest can be based around a theme.

6) While harder to enforce, the aim is to submit a new mini, not one you painted some time ago. Please respect this.

7) One entry per user per division - eg. one open, one graded, and/or one Really Mine (see below).

Submitting Entries

1) Entries will be accepted between August 10th and August 31st 2013. EST.

2) Each entry must consist of one (1) image showing one (1) view of a single mini (or group of BA/infantry/protomechs) as per the rules. Image to be in a reasonably standard image format (if Irfanview can't grok it, I'll let you know). No composite images (eg. a single image showing three views of the mini).

3) Images to be sent to worktroll at gmail.com (replacing the spaces & "at" with @) with the subject "Iron Painter 2013 Mk II" (Note: that's important! I'll be filtering for entrants using that. Don't use the right name, you may be missed!). The mail must contain:
* the entrant's forum name
* The image as an attachment (in the last contest, image links proved unreliable). All images should be between 500x500 points and 800x800 points (yes, 500x800 and 800x500 will be fine). Images over 800x800 will be resized to within those limits.
* Name and variant of the 'Mech depicted (eg. Hunchback HBK-3P, Preta Infernus, Mad Dog H)
* Name of the faction and unit involved (eg. Kell Hounds, 7th Sword of Light, 15th Marik Militia) where relevant
* nominate the preferred division (see below) the mini to be entered in.

4) The judges reserve the right to crop and/or resize images for ease of storage, ease of viewing, and to maintain consistency in presentation.

Judging

There will be three divisions: Graded, Open, and Really Mine!.

1) Entries for the Graded division are not to be heavily customised or reposed. As an arbitrary number, if more than 10%-15% of the 'Mech has been modified or reposed, it'll be moved to the Open category. Neither should entries for this division have exotic or complex basing. It's a painting competition, not a basing/reposing/scratchbuilding contest.

If there are enough entries in this division, they will be grouped into 2-3 skill categories, and a winner proclaimed in each. (Eg. we get 6 entries, beginner/vet; 26 entries, then green/reg/vet)

2) Entries in the Open division must contain a minimum of 50% of an original mini meeting the rules outlined above (sorry, no complete scratchbuild). Customising, reposing & basing are at the entrant's choice - again though subject to the master rules. This will not be a diorama contest.

3) Entries in the Really Mine division must represent an original non-canon design, variant or configuration. The design should be one that's "really yours" in concept or execution. Entries should consist of no more than 25% components from other companies or games. So for instance, you can sculpt the whole entry out of clay (or pork fat), and that's fine. But making the legs out of putty, and whacking a W40K Titan body on top, isn't kosher . Entries in this division are restricted to non-canon ‘Mechs, vehicles, configs, etc. PM me if you have an idea you want to check.

4) The judges will decide into which group in the Graded division minis will be placed. In the event there are questions about whether a mini entered in the Graded division belongs in the Open division, the judges reserve the right to communicate with the entrant or not. Entries for the Really Mine! division should be clearly not suitable for either other division.

A poll thread will be started for each Graded division group, for the Open division, and for the Really Mine! division, by September 9th 2013. The poll will be open for forum members to vote on until 15th September 2013. The winner in each section will be decided by popular vote.

And formally:

1) The judge's decisions will be final.

2) Don't come here to diss other entries. Saying "the panel lines on the right leg were fuzzy" is one thing, saying "That crap left leg made the whole think look like a piece of ****" is another. The judges reserve the right to eject poor sportspersons.

3) It's a painting contest, not a basing contest, diorama contest, or exotically detailed light-box contest. Choose your backgrounds to complement and highlight your mini, thanks.

4) The only prizes are "the people's ovation and fame forever". (However, any potential sponsors, you know where to find me.)

Questions & answers:

Q: Why not a restrictive theme?
A: To eliminate any barriers to entry, and to encourage as many people as possible to enter. The idea, as always, is to maximise the number of people involved.

Q: Where's the time limit? "Iron X" usually means a hard time limit.
A: Not here. These are the BT forums, and this is the way we hang here.

Q: Does "capable of fitting on a standard hexbase" mean it has to be on a standard hexbase?
A: No, this means it shouldn't be, in game terms, a multi-hex mini. "Capable of" means "you could if needed". So the grossly out-scale second sculpt Blood Asp, or the quads that spread over more than one map hex, are all legitimate entries.

Q: What about warships or the Aerospace scale small dropships?
A: They're totally acceptable.

Q: How about Armorcraft Cinematics, or custom-sculpted effects ?
A: They'll be considered as customisations, and if used in excess are likely to tip the entry into the Open division. As stated, this is a mini painting contest, not a diorama contest, basing contest, etc - the emphasis should be on the mini, not the additional enhancements. Note: if you were planning to submit to Open anyway, then these are all good options. The guideline is - remember it's a painting contest.

Q: Is weathering or damage considered a modification?
A: Weathering & damage will be counted as customisation, and if used excessively may result in the submission being moved to Open. Note: if you were planning to submit to Open anyway, then these are all good options. The guideline is - remember it's a painting contest.

Q: Why not allow MW:DA minis?
A: As much as I personally enjoy working with them, the fact is that the game of BattleTech revolves around 1:285 scale (more or less) minis. The point of the contest is to rejoice in the minis involved in the game we all love. Subsequent competitions may allow these as entries.
A2: Note, this time they’re allowed in the Really Mine! division.

Q: Why not allow the single image submitted to be composite photos? Dioramas?
A: Because we're trying to have a painting contest, and have all entries judged from a common standing start. Not everyone is comfortable making composite shots; not everyone's comfortable making high-quality terrain; not everyone's comfortable making dioramas. So we're deliberately keeping focus on the mini, at a level everyone can compete.

Let the fun done begin!

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
Re: Return of the Iron Painter - 2013 mk II! Rules & questions thread
« Reply #1 on: 25 August 2013, 22:21:41 »
That is not dead, which doth eternal sticky to the top of the forum!

Yes, folks, we're entering the final week of submissions for Iron Painter 2013 mk II! Five-and-some days remaining.

I've responded to all the submissions so far, but we're still down on numbers compared to last year. Sing out here if you're working on something - I'm more than happy to extend the deadline until the end of the coming weekend.

Cheers, and paint on!

W.
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

17th Spartans

• Warrant Officer
  • Long Live the Dragon! Long Live the Regiment!
« Reply #2 on: 26 August 2013, 02:19:14 »
Still working Worktroll. My 11 year old has painted one also. there is a kids entry right? I am trying to get mine done. 17th Spartans Go!
The Dragon knows......
Long Live the Regiment!

Siberian-troll

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 26 August 2013, 06:47:27 »
I'm working on.

Spaceman

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 26 August 2013, 10:22:27 »
I am still working on one. If I am hoping to have it done by Thursday night as I am out of town this weekend.
Demo Agent #567 Binghamton, NY (Southern Tier)
FLGS: Jupiter Games - Johnson City, NY

Southern Tier BattleTech Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/STierBattleTech/

wolfmamma

• Corporal
« Reply #5 on: 26 August 2013, 10:51:47 »
Sent one of a Pinto VTOL I painted in Comstar white with black lining. I forgot to add my forum name, so I sent it again.

serrate

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 26 August 2013, 15:26:51 »
Still working.

Also, like someone else asked, is there a kid's category?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #7 on: 26 August 2013, 16:07:39 »
Yes, if we get entries from kids, we'll have a Green grading for them.

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 26 August 2013, 18:58:51 »
well, WT finally has mine (sorry about the atachment problems) I think I stand a chance of placing this time.
We are Clan Snow Raven. Masters of the void, and reapers of your souls

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

Amalor Myrnnyx

• Lieutenant
  • www.myrnnyx.com
    • Myrnnyx Minis
« Reply #9 on: 26 August 2013, 21:20:12 »
I can safely say that I'm out this time around. Reality has really been kicking my posterior this month.
-James Degenhardt

manticore72

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #10 on: 27 August 2013, 17:42:36 »
I should have a mini ready soon for the graded category.

Spaceman

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #11 on: 28 August 2013, 06:07:53 »
I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! Just have some more highlighting to do and I will be done.
Demo Agent #567 Binghamton, NY (Southern Tier)
FLGS: Jupiter Games - Johnson City, NY

Southern Tier BattleTech Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/STierBattleTech/

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #12 on: 28 August 2013, 17:53:33 »
Folks,

It's been pointed out that this weekend is a long weekend in the US. Accordingly, I'm more that happy to announce that the entry window has been extended until the end of Monday 2nd September, US time. Thanks, Serrate, for pointing this out!

W.

Diamond Shark

• Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 28 August 2013, 19:20:32 »
i have one finished for the open , will try and slap something together for the graded.
damm, i just read the posting and never saw the "really mine" section before........... ahhhhhhh i would have loved this. ah well, next time.

Siberian-troll

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 28 August 2013, 19:34:02 »
Finally painted project one for "Really mine" yesterday.  :)

Diamond Shark

• Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 29 August 2013, 13:33:55 »
sent my open entry, and an entry for the really mine, to see if it is suitable.

Siberian-troll

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 01 September 2013, 00:41:40 »
Sent all three.  :-[

Black Omega

• Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: 02 September 2013, 11:27:22 »
entries sent
"Old age and treachery will beat youth and beauty every time."

manticore72

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #18 on: 02 September 2013, 20:57:35 »
Sent you an entry for the Graded division yesterday, Worktroll.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #19 on: 03 September 2013, 00:06:22 »
Okay, I've replied to all contestants who've entered. You've got another 24 hours grace to get any late entries in - haven't seen any kids' entries I recognised.

If you didn't get a reply from me, please resent and check the subject line. I get enough mail that if you don't put the right subject in, I'll probably miss it. So please help me by using the right subject line.

THanks,

W.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #20 on: 03 September 2013, 00:51:52 »
I think the biggest thing I am looking forward to is seeing where mine gets put in the
graded divisions. I am actually kind of nervous on this, as this is my first time putting
something up for this kind of hard perusal. Being judged not by people I know, but
by strangers across the world...and then graded on it!
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 03 September 2013, 01:20:57 »
but the strangers, at least those who comment, tend to be very polite, and tend towards the more helpful to ones ego and skill improvment than some mini contests I have witnessed

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

Siberian-troll

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 08 September 2013, 08:54:38 »

Tomorrow?

:)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #23 on: 08 September 2013, 19:55:02 »
Sorry, have been wrestling with a cold & hayfever at the same time, which has affected productivity.

I have a few submissions to acknowledge, then will work up the voting threads.

Sorry folks, but we'll get there!

serrate

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #24 on: 12 September 2013, 18:33:54 »
Hope you're feeling better Worktroll!

No, this is not a subtle inquiry about the state of the voting threads, just best wishes for your continued health.  O:-)

Black Omega

• Sergeant
« Reply #25 on: 12 September 2013, 18:41:44 »
I know how you feel WT.  I just went through a LARGE box of Puffs [brand tissues] in 3 days.  Rudolph ain't got nothin' on my nose.  Colds stink  #P
"Old age and treachery will beat youth and beauty every time."

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 13 September 2013, 23:05:39 »
No rush WT, it's all for fun anyway, so you get feeling like yourself (or a reasonable facsimile) and then you can worry about the contest.

— From a post on rpg.net

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #27 on: 16 September 2013, 21:00:32 »
Where will the voting threads be posted, and will there be announcement/links provided in this
thread that the voting threads are up?
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

serrate

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #28 on: 16 September 2013, 22:14:32 »
They'll be stickied in this sub-forum.

Siberian-troll

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: 18 September 2013, 22:11:15 »
Day 10th.

Every morning I come to forum and look here...  :-[

Register